Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: Ashes to Ashes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kiedo
Who: 5-6 runners, diverse and interesting

What: A moderate level campaign, involving vampires, dragons, a missing person and a little voodoo

When: Submissions are due Friday June 3 by midnight central time

Where: The run will start in Seattle but the move to New Orleans, and possibly Houston.

Why: A corporate rich kid has gone missing in the swamps near New Orleans. The pay is good, and the job has a possibility for expansion.

How: By any means nessicary.

Now that you have at least a general idea of the story, heres what I want.

125 build points (sorry no priority, sum to 10, or becks)
edges and flaws must equal zero, but you can have as many as you want
availability 8 rating 8 (anything that is under that is cool. custom gear is fine but no rays guns)
surge and metavarients are welcomed if not encouraged
A fully fleshed out background with desciptions of how you met your contacts and attained your gear. No length requirements so long as it meets those already set.
I'd like for the team to be familiar with one another and have done jobs as a team before.

Post creation
50 karma (total)
200,000 nuyen
max availability 16 (but if you feel you need it and it's reasonable we'll work something out)
street index applies to gear purchased post creation

I like unique concepts, your ten times more likely to get in if you have one.

Post your concept and breif background (unless brevity is something you don't possess and then give me the long one) but do not post your sheet, doing so will automatically disqualify you, there might be a turn coat on you team and you don't want him/her to have any advantages.

I hate riggers and decker and seldom plan for thier use in my runs.

A few seats that need to be filled are thus:
Face/private investigator
Heavy weapons/demolitions
infiltration
wheel man (yes you can be a rigger, just try not to over specialize)
well rounded member

those are not the only things that will get in, just a little help if your wondering what types of characters I'm looking for
Ol' Scratch
Ooh, I might try and submit something for that Face/Private Investigator position. I've been hankering to do some pulpy writing. biggrin.gif Though the idea of a Wheelman or a hippy dwarven Infiltration/Tech-Wiz seems interesting, too. Oh, so many ideas, so little time.
GaiasWrath8
Heavy weapons/demolitions
infiltration
both look like areas I might like to try.
I will send you a PM with the data.
Musashi Forever
Ork Combat Mage checking in.
Kiedo
Opps I knew I forgot something, send me your things email instead of PM if you don't mind

genomapanda@phreaker.net

Also I'd prefer people who could post frequently like 3-4 times a week.

Wow I've got some pretty interesting ideas for characters already, some of them hinge on secrecy so I won't spill the beans.
GaiasWrath8
Well I live on the earthdawn sight but could check the post at least once an hour 8 hours a day. smile.gif

Can you check your e-mail address? It kicked back to me.

Also, you said that anything goes as long as the avalibility is 8 or under. Can we get cultured bio then?

Ecclesiastes
I'm in. Maybe I'll finsih up the character I was doing for your rigger game and submit him.
Musashi Forever
I tried the email address you posted and it came back undeliverable. Has anyone else had trouble or did I do something wrong?
Kiedo
My bad, I forgot an "E". I fixed the other one but heres a new one just in case.

genomepanda@phreaker.net
GaiasWrath8
Very cool, now I know I am not crazy. Do you want us to send this on Nsrcg or on a text doc?
Kiedo
html from the NSRCG or text which ever is easier for you. My computer won't run the NSRCG frown.gif so sending me an SR3 file would do no good, for me at least.

My brother's computer runs it but he gets mad when I keep using it...
Whizbang
Hmm...considering an infiltrations spec...not sure if I'll have it done in time, though. Sometimes I get a char done overnight...other times it takes me a month...
Ecclesiastes
What about karma for cash?
Kiedo
5000 nuyen, you can sell you current karma or buy new karma for the same price, bought karma does not effect karma pool
Ecclesiastes
Do you allow custom vehicles as long as I give you a map of what it is and how much it costs, etc, etc?
Kiedo
always
Reign Maker
My email has been sent!
GaiasWrath8
Well I sent my e-mail...but now that I know about the cash for Karma rule I will have something to spend my $200,000 on. LOL. I will resend tomorrow morning.
Ecclesiastes
Can I make use of the Rural Lifestyle rules?

I posted a copy of them here.
GaiasWrath8
OK, my character has been sent. Let me know if it will fly or if I should turn in my Troll hard sam instead.
Kiedo
Your drake is fine.

and go ahead and use the rural lifestyle rules, I have no idea how they work but I'll trust you.

Okay this is for both you and I, it's a list of concepts I've gotten and who sent them.

Doctor Funkenstein: wheelman/tech wiz I think
GaiasWrath8: drake
Musashi Forever: Ork combat mage[/b]
Ecclesiastes: [i]ex nascar driver wheel man, I'm almost positive

Whizbang: shapeshifter infiltration expert
Riegn Maker: tamanous organ legger, wheelman, team medic, combat memeber, you didn't include your dumpshock name so this character might not be yours, I'm just guessing it's yours.
Bastard: artificial human(a robot)

Of the initial positions I posted for ideas I've gotten these:
Face/private investigator: 0
Heavy weapons/demolitions: 0
infiltration: 1
wheelman: 3
well rounded member: 1

I know I've gotten 7 characters and only have five numbers maked down but the other two I'm unsure were they'd fall. Again I'd like to reiterate the fact that you don't have to fall into one of those five categories to be considered, it's more of a guide line for those who have writter's block.
Ol' Scratch
<scratches out Cosmo's "wheelman" aspect as he continues tinkering along> smile.gif
Kiedo
Yep with only seven characters submitted this group was going to be very wheel man heavy.
Ol' Scratch
Hmm, I can probably work a Demolitionist angle into the character instead, though. <just taps his lips as he returns to his tinkering yet again>
GaiasWrath8
Oh no, you told them my secret. Now I will be sold to the highest bidder by my own team in the first week. LOL

Hay, I took demolitions and I have a heavy weapon (my fist) don't i fit the Heavy weapons/demolitions?

P.S to group, we are so dead if we don't get a sam or two. LOL
Ol' Scratch
I tell ya, karma is a bitch. This is one of the few times I've submitted a character who wasn't a badass in combat one way or the other, and don'tcha know, that's the one role we could most use. biggrin.gif D'oh!

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it some, I could probably really easily change my guy into a Tech-Wiz/Drone Rigger and maybe include one or two drones with some heavy weaponry and surveillance gear on it. Think that might help out a bit?
GaiasWrath8
QUOTE (Kiedo)
I hate riggers and decker and seldom plan for thier use in my runs.

wheel man (yes you can be a rigger, just try not to over specialize)

I would say yes, but the GM made this opinon on this clear. smile.gif

We really just need a standered hard sam, but what ever. I am sure we will muttle by, its important to enjoy what you are playing more than that group living. smile.gif
Bastard
My AI was going to be a techie...but I can change him to a combatant...by the way you gave away my dark secret gm!
GaiasWrath8
So let me get this right, your a robot?

This is going to be a very odd party.

Robot, Shifter, Drake. Quick, some one come in as a ghoul. LOL
Ecclesiastes
Okie dokie. I've been kicking around an idea for a Ghoul that works for the Ghoul Liberation Foundation. silly.gif
Ol' Scratch
Bleh.

Fine, fine, I'll try to rush through and put some kind of muscle together, maybe even filling in the Face role while I'm at it. I do have an old character who fits that bill nicely, but... Ol' Scratch doesn't have the best success rate on these online forums. biggrin.gif
Ecclesiastes
Oh uh... Ol' Scratch always means trouble...
Ol' Scratch
Here's my revised character concept. It's not very well written, but hopefully it's enough to maybe by a slight extension on the character sheet bit as I rush to try and put one together for him. smile.gif

OL' SCRATCH
Blues Guitarist turned Street Samurai

Specialties: Combat, taking a beating, and social encounters.

Background: Ol' Scratch is reputed to have sold his soul to the devil in order to gain his talent on the blues guitar. He was on his way to becoming a legend along the lines of John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Johnny Winter. But the moment Scratch signed a contract with Cerberus Records, Ol' Nick himself came to collect his due.

In short order Scratch lost his newlywed wife and unborn son to ghouls. With his left hand gone and the only two things he had ever truly loved buried six feet under, Ol' Scratch just couldn't do music anymore even though the blues coursed through his veins more than ever before. Cerberus Records sued him for breach of contract, and everything he had achieved was flushed down the toliet. With debt out the ass, a criminal record keeping him from finding real work, bad credit due to his myriad lawsuits, and a recently-acquired drinking problem, Ol' Scratch had nowhere to turn but to the shadows.

Now, a decade later, Ol' Scratch has found that he's sold his soul yet again — this time to the cold, uncaring god of chrome...
Kagetenshi
You folks about full up, or might there be room for one more? Looks kinda crowded, but I thought I'd ask.

~J
Ol' Scratch
We're all just applicants at this point. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Fair enough smile.gif I'll probably be submitting a pistols/melee speed[adept,sam](havenae decided which yet) unless there's another hole as needs covering. I've been playing too many cautious Riggers recently, it's time to hit something wink.gif

~J
Whizbang
You can hit stuff with riggers...and do more damage than a sam... *thinks of her rigger with a light howitzer that does LN damage* smile.gif
Shadow
Here's my shot.

Jacque Saint John “Sinjin”
Deep sea explorer, oceanographer, archeologist, anthropologist, Atlantis expert, turned Shadowrunner to fund his exploration of the sea.

Quick Background:
Sinjin is a Menehune Dwarf born and raised in the Kingdom of Hawaii. He grew up in the state ran orphanages in the early 30s. He applied himself and worked hard and won a scholarship to the University of Hawaii. It was there that the listless young Dwarf outcast found his true calling. He would find Atlantis. After reading a book about the mythical city Sinjin felt a deep spiritual awakening. This coincided with the awakening of his magical powers.

Reason for Shadowrunning:
For years Sinjin has searched the depths of the ocean looking for Atlantis. He has used every mean magical and technological to find the ancient city. He has published a number of papers on drowned cities and ancient civilizations in general. Last year while on a dive in the med, he made his greatest discovery. An ancient temple guarded by a great serpent. The battle was as surprising as it was fierce, but when it was over, Sinjin was still standing. After exploring the temple he found an ancient document that was perfectly preserved. The language on the document has thus far defied translation, nor has the materiel it is written on been carbon dated or even identified. Sinjin is confident that the document is from the Lost City. Unfortunately his research grant came to an end and he needed money to fund the translation. Having demonized himself to most respectable academic funding agencies Sinjin turned to Shadowrunning to find his research.

A taste of the character:

Flaw (Curiosity):
Buttons, levers, switches, knobs, toggles, dials, these things BEG to be turned, pulled, pushed, thrown and otherwise moved.

Edge: Aptitude - Sea Shell identification
The character with this edge is so adept at identifying sea shells, he can tell you what part of the world below they are from.

Background Flaw (Pacifism):
Sinjin is an academic, an adventure for sure, as well as a powerful hermatic mage, but still an academic. Violence just doesn’t cross his mind as a way to solve a problem. Though he can defend himself and others if the need be.
Ecclesiastes
Kiedo

Were we all supposed to be a team ahead of time, or are we just coming together? Doc Funk, Whizbang, and myself are all working backgrounds together, in fact, we all live together on my land. I just wasn't sure about the rest of the team.
GaiasWrath8
Well I like the blues guy. smile.gif And I guess we all have until Friday to turn in the charecter. 8 people seem to be interested but only 5 to 6 will be playing. So make it good. smile.gif

I would love to post my charecter, but I am working on a text version as we speak, also. I don't even know if I am playing. LOL. Might get left out.

Just the same, I have a physical adept Drake. No weapons, just hands, and a little demolition skill.

As much as I like drakes, due to the 25 point spending cost I would have been much more bad ass with a troll hard sam, but the drake will be a lot of fun. And I get to fly!
GaiasWrath8
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Kiedo

Were we all supposed to be a team ahead of time, or are we just coming together? Doc Funk, Whizbang, and myself are all working backgrounds together, in fact, we all live together on my land. I just wasn't sure about the rest of the team.

Oh no, are you a crazy irish man who thinks its his land?
Ecclesiastes
More details on my character...

Petty
Rigger

Petty is a racer, through and through. For years he raced in any series that would have him, from NASCAR to mini dirt ovals to RC Cars. He was his own mechanic and made a good living for himself. Everything was great, that is, until the fateful crash that took his left arm and gave him the limp that never went away. After that, he was a liability and none of the pro series would take him, so he turned to the shadows.

Petty owns a nice chuck of land down in New Orleans, just off the Mississippi. His best friends, Ol' Scratch (Doc Funk) and Billy (Whizbang) live there with him, Scratch in his shack and Billy just roaming the land. The only main structure on the land is a big concreate building that houses Petty's vehicle facility. It has living quarters, but for the most part he sleeps in his RV.

Vechicles include a big RV with a connected trailer, a race car (sedan chassis), a boat, and several roto drones. If I have the money, I'll also pick up a small helicopter.
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes @ Jun 1 2005, 06:42 PM)
Kiedo

Were we all supposed to be a team ahead of time, or are we just coming together?  Doc Funk, Whizbang, and myself are all working backgrounds together, in fact, we all live together on my land.  I just wasn't sure about the rest of the team.

Oh no, are you a crazy irish man who thinks its his land?

Nope. I'm the good ol' southern boy who paid out the nose for a huge chunk of rural land.
Bastard
still waiting on gm varification of my robot/android...

I can make him more of a combatant, since we need that.
Kiedo
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8 @ Jun 1 2005, 02:02 PM)
So let me get this right, your a robot?

This is going to be a very odd party.

Robot, Shifter, Drake. Quick, some one come in as a ghoul. LOL

umm actually I've got a ghoul being submitted...

Yes having a joint background would be very good, I want you guys to be close knit and comfortable together.

Ol' scratch sounds cool, I love the blues, it's too bad he doesn't still play, maybe during the course of the storyline, he could rekindle his love.

I'm guessing I've been submitted a Captian Ahab type character then, ala sinjin.
Kagetenshi
Do we need another driving-capable character? I've currently got quite a bit of Bike and need to decide whether or not to drop Car.

~J
Ol' Scratch
You can probably get away without Car; the "wheelman" position was the one most crowded up until earlier. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
By the way, just in case anyone is looking for inspiration on drones, I happen to have one lying around…
[ Spoiler ]

~J
Kagetenshi
Sergei "Serge" Voichenko

Concept: Mundane Melee/Pistols Speed Combatant with a dash of Face thrown into the mix

Born in Russia to Ukrainian parents, Serge is a first-generation immigrant and a talented ballet dancer. Serge prides grace and agility above brute strength, manners and etiquette above the curt efficiency of the soldier, skill with words above skill with arms. He takes great pride in his skill at English, all traces of accent long since meticulously scrubbed from his speech. Though not yet adept at the subtle art of negotiation and persuasion, he has a way of winning over newly-met acquaintances with a pleasant smile and a pleasant conversation. It is one of his great regrets that life has not yet afforded him the time to learn the tongue of his country of ancestry with any great skill.

Physical description: short (5'5", 1.65 meters) but remarkably heavy for his height and comparatively slim frame, dark-haired and dark-eyed with an infectious smile. Always impeccably clean-shaven. Always dresses nicely if he can help it, though not ostentatiously. Matching scar on the back and palm of his left hand that he will scratch at occasionally when distracted.

~J
GaiasWrath8
OK, Its Thursday, 48 hours to get your charecter sheet in.

Hay GM, when will we know if we are in the game?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012