Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 3 Shadowrun supplemets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
gradek
What are your top 3 Shadowrun supplements of all time.
Critias
CC, M&M, Sota: 64. MitS would be number 4.
Bigity
VR (1, I liked the art and stories, VR 2 had a better ruleset)
Shadowtech
PAoNA (and Europe)
Kagetenshi
Shadowbeat
Corporate Download
If adventures count, Harlequin's Back. Otherwise a toughie—Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, maybe?

~J
Jrayjoker
MITS, Threats (1 and 2, if you'll allow it), and Matrix.

MiTS and Matrix purely for the rules expansions, and Threats for the ideas.
The Stainless Steel Rat
CC
MITS
M&M

While most others get used at least once every campaign, the above 3 get flipped through almost every game.
Gambitt
Not got them all, and not sure about a top 3, but corporate download is fantastic.
Catsnightmare
Cannon Companion
Magic in the Shadows
Man & Machine

After that comes Rigger 3
It's been my experience that unless you are completely sans R3 nobody even looks at the vehicles listed in the BBB.
Edward
You want best reed or most usfull.

I don’t know about best reed (haven’t red engulf) but the most useful are defiantly
M&M
CC
MITS
R3
In that order
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
It's been my experience that unless you are completely sans R3 nobody even looks at the vehicles listed in the BBB.

There are vehicles in the main book?

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)

Probably because almost all of them were redone in Rigger 3.

That said, the three I use most with SR3 is Magic in the Shadows, Man & Machine, and Cannon Companion. My top three favorite books are Shadowbeat, Sprawl Survival Guide, and Corporate Download.
Penta
My top three favorite books (with the caveat that, not having sat down to play outside of a MUSH in forever, I mostly just read them):

Aztlan - absolutely one of the best-*written* books in SR.
Corporate Shadowfiles - Admittedly, not particularly game-useful, but...I'm sorry, I still shiver reading the description of Corporate War. eek.gif Also, it's real-world-transferrable, the first and thusfar only time Ive ever been able to say that about my gaming.
Renraku Arcology: Shutdown - Deus isn't entirely my cup of tea. However, I loved how it was written. I remember closing my eyes one night after reading it and feeling vaguely panicked.
Crimson Jack
In this order:

Corporate Download
Magic in the Shadows
Cannon Companion
Ancient History
Well, if we're counting of all time.

Portfolio of a Dragon
Really. What can I say? I laughed. I cried. I loved it.

Universal Brotherhood
Pushing the envelope a little, aye, but unarguably the best bug-book ever produced.

Tir Tairngire
Say what you will about Aztlan. Speak your mind freely on such awesome placesettings as the Denver Boxed Set. Argue if you want over such awesome tech books as Shadowtech versus the Cannon Companion. This is my favorite piece of Nigel D. Findley's work. Old-school style, nothing ever outright, and art you can sit back and stare at.
Kagetenshi
Ooh, Denver.

Suddenly my choice for #3 is looking a lot more muddled…

~J
Cain
#1: Harlequin. IMO, the best campaign ever developed for any game system, ever.
#2: Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life. One of my personal favorites, which taught me more about the Shadowrun world than anything else.
#3's a tossup, but I'll go with a tie for two books not yet mentioned: Shadowtech and Corporate Shadowfiles. Shadowtech beats M&M hands-down in writing quality and presentation, and Corporate Shadowfiles turned out to be more useful than my economics textbook. cool.gif
Fix-it
Matrix
Target: Wastelands (there's more adventure possiblities and paranoid ramblings in that book than you could shake a sandworm at)
Renraku Arcology: Shutdown (nothing like a good horror/survival story)
Smiley
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat)
CC
MITS
M&M

What he said.
wargear
Street Sam Catalog
Shadowtech
Fields of Fire

I liked the pics and shadowtalk. Particularly the shadowtalk...really brought the setting to life.
Angelone
MiTS
Awakenings
Cyberpirates(Yarrr)

Shockwave_IIc
Satying with SR3 Books.
For rules.
M&M
CC
Mits

In that order.

For being a good read..
Target: Matrix
RAS
Threats:2
Grinder
M&M
Sprawl Survival Guide
California Free State

and a lot close behind. Least worth is imo Rigger 3.
Penta
QUOTE (Cain)
#3's a tossup, but I'll go with a tie for two books not yet mentioned: Shadowtech and Corporate Shadowfiles. Shadowtech beats M&M hands-down in writing quality and presentation, and Corporate Shadowfiles turned out to be more useful than my economics textbook. cool.gif

What, am I chopped liver? I mentioned CS....smile.gif
Eugene
My choices:

MiTS - Great rules, great flavor!

Sprawl Survival Guide - A new classic; gritty, street level, and great rules for Lifestyles.

Corporate Download - Great for plotting out what kinds of runs to have.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Eugene)
My choices:

MiTS - Great rules, great flavor!

Sprawl Survival Guide - A new classic; gritty, street level, and great rules for Lifestyles.

Corporate Download - Great for plotting out what kinds of runs to have.

Yeah this one is good.
Shadow
CC, MiTS, and M&M
Jrayjoker
LBJ, MLK, and FDR.

No wait, not famous dead people...DAMN!
Cynic project
Am I the only one who thinks that the CC is not that worth wile?

I would have to say that It is the M&M,MIts and denver box set, cause denver is awesome.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Cynic project)

I would have to say that It is the M&M,MIts and denver box set, cause denver is awesome.

The canon companion is perhaps the least useful of all the "major" supplements, but it does have some interesting and useful things in it. The DBS I have yet to see availible anywhere, however.
Kagetenshi
Denver was available on Stiggybaby a few years back (where I got mine from), though they've probably sold out by now.

~J
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Cynic project)

I understand the point of your statement, but the thread is simply asking what everyone's 'top 3' is. That is left up to some interpretation. For myself, I like it simply because it compiles all of the weapons into an easy one-stop-shopping format. I wish it would have retained the flavor text shadow-comments from the SSC, though.
Grinder
I think the CC is a useful book, but my top are there because of the fluff text (cal free) or the new rules and stuff (m&m). CC is nice, but has not soo many new rules we use and compiling all weapons is ok, but doesn't push it in the top ranks.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cynic project)

Let's see, it includes a vast array of weapons, several of which are great for special situations that a runner might find themselves in. It includes tons of new armor choices and armor customization options which can save your hoop, it includes customization options for skillsofts that greatly enhance what you can do with them, it includes equipment that any good runner should have (such as Personal Comm Units), it includes new rules that make Unarmed Combat more effective and desireable (even if some people don't particular like how they went about it), and it includes numerous other rules that the standard rules lack but are still quite useful (such as Suppressive Fire, and Small Unit Tactics, and Ambidexterity).

And all of those options are available to all characters, magician, mundane, and heavily cybered alike. Unlike books like Magic in the Shadows where only a subset of players/characters can use the majority of the rules within.

Seems a pretty worthwhile book to me. <shrugs>
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Tir Tairngire
Say what you will about Aztlan. Speak your mind freely on such awesome placesettings as the Denver Boxed Set. Argue if you want over such awesome tech books as Shadowtech versus the Cannon Companion. This is my favorite piece of Nigel D. Findley's work. Old-school style, nothing ever outright, and art you can sit back and stare at.

If only it could have been about a subject less contrived and vomit-inducing as everything involved with Tir Tairngire and all those damn immortal elves it would have been great. nyahnyah.gif

Mine are the Arcology Shutdown book, if only because the cover art actually gave me the shivers, MitS for all the neat options it gives Awakened characters, and Matrix for making deckers (my favorite character type, if you can't tell) playable.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Jun 3 2005, 06:06 PM)

Let's see, it includes a vast array of weapons, several of which are great for special situations that a runner might find themselves in. It includes tons of new armor choices and armor customization options which can save your hoop, it includes customization options for skillsofts that greatly enhance what you can do with them, it includes equipment that any good runner should have (such as Personal Comm Units), it includes new rules that make Unarmed Combat more effective and desireable (even if some people don't particular like how they went about it), and it includes numerous other rules that the standard rules lack but are still quite useful (such as Suppressive Fire, and Small Unit Tactics, and Ambidexterity).

And all of those options are available to all characters, magician, mundane, and heavily cybered alike. Unlike books like Magic in the Shadows where only a subset of players/characters can use the majority of the rules within.

Seems a pretty worthwhile book to me. <shrugs>

most of it's guns are really cosmetic changes to your standard guns. The Armour is not that useful, and most of it is again, look I want my armour to look different.

Smut wile a useful skill is one skill that at best adds flavor to a character, they had rules for it in M&M.

UnarmedCombat was made unessaryly complex,and still kept the recoklousness of how many skills you need. hell it made you need more.

Skillsofts have rarely been a large part of the games I play in.

The ambidexterity rules make me want to kill people. Sorry, Adepts are forced to be one trick ponies enough as it is, I don't need more rules that force that on them. I don't need drizzit clones in the shadowrun, either.

Costume fire arms rules are broken.

Com units you say? Those are basically either fancy radios or cell phones. Both of witch are in the basic book.

Suppressive fire is good. still only one rule.

MiTS, has rules on many plot enamies that are around. you don't need to be a mage to be killed by magic. And ways for mundanes to fight magic. Wile the mundanes only get a small use of the book, most of CC is bland,nearly the rest is bad and only a few things are good.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 1 2005, 05:04 PM)
Tir Tairngire

If only it could have been about a subject less contrived and vomit-inducing as everything involved with Tir Tairngire and all those damn immortal elves it would have been great. nyahnyah.gif

Mine are the Arcology Shutdown book, if only because the cover art actually gave me the shivers, MitS for all the neat options it gives Awakened characters, and Matrix for making deckers (my favorite character type, if you can't tell) playable.

Don't be a hater...
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Cynic project)

Well, "cause denver is awesome" is compelling. Hard to argue how CC can stand up to something that awesome. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012