Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can we delay 4th Ed. for 1 year?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Snow_Fox
Ok gang. people here should probably know my views of the up coming 4th ed, or havn't I been vocal enough?

I've been contacted privately by people who seem to be in the know saying that the real reason for the 4th Ed. Since it was done privately I'm not saying who, but since my voice has been pretty strident so far this more concilatory post should give you an idea that I trust the osurce to be the straight scoop. The bottom line is that while SR is selling well now, industry projections are in 4-5 years, it will not be and will die. The 4th ed is an attempt to carry over the audience from D&D and VtM to keep it going. So far so good.

Because of the time line they want to get as big a start as possible on drawing in that potential base before it hits that critical mark. It has a better chance of surviving if they use 4-5 years to build up the new base instead of 2-3, just like trying to fix Social Security in the US has a better chance of being saved if we start 30 years before it collapses instead of 20 or 10 years.

So far I'm ok with this. BUT

Fanpro's handling of this has been a complete and utter balls up. With less than 3 months to go, play testers are still reporting real problems with the system. Very few people are saying they like it and those who do are writing that they liked it 'But" and talk of issues.

The official word from Fanpro, rather than talking aboiut saving the gamne says that there are problems with 3rd ed that cannot be fixed, but they do not say what those problems are. Without them giving us examples of this brokeness in the system, we are left wondering what the flock they are talking about. We here play 3rd ed and while there might be a few issues (decking, does anyone really like it?) we do not consider it a fatal flaw, or we'd be off playing something else. As a result we feel cheated, lied to and then expected to pay lots of money fopr books we already have in early eds, to keep it going.(I won't go further on that See my other posts for my views on that.)

There are going to be what? 4 books to be released in very short order, mostly tying up 3rd ed and then there will be, in game time, a 5 year gap between the end of 3rd and the start of 4th ed. My belief if that Fanpro plans to use those sales to build up capital to carry the company forward while they wait for 4th ed to catch on. That makes sense as a business plan, but part of their business plan must be that no only will we, existing players, buy the 4th ed, but we will be the basis for the word of mouth to carry it over to the new market. That having been said we are here pretty much expressing a degree of ire rather than support and I think this is mostly coming from the way we have been treated by fanpro through its lack of valid PR.

That having been said, are you still with me, wouldn't it make snese for Fanpro to put off the release of 4th ed until 2006? In that time they can get rid of the bugs the playtesters are reporting(I really can't see them reworking, retesting and resetting the pages in the limited time left) and do a much better PR job with us, their base. As it stands I see no one not on the writing staff expressing excitment for hte 4th ed and a lot of us expressing active dislike. The delay, although through off their business plan by a year and reducing the development time before that critical date will give them a chance to develop a better product and have a much better chance to actually get our support for their long term plans?
Wounded Ronin
Let's pretend that we're in Fanpro's mahogany-paneled board room of power, and that we're all wearing 1000 dollar Armani suits.
Solstice
I don't see how one more year of this debacle they've termed a PR campaign is going to help get us veterans into the fold.
Ol' Scratch
In the end the "PR campaign" won't mean jack squat. I can all but guarantee that everyone who's adamantly stated that they won't have anything to do with SR4 will be amongst the first people to buy a copy when it comes out.

The material itself, and the informed buzz spread by those who actually know what they're talking about instead of spewing out wild accusations and complaining about something they know absolutely nothing about, will decide whether or not it becomes popular.

It also wouldn't have mattered how Fanpro decided to release information about the game. Go take a look at any thread in the past that even hinted at a suggestion that there needs to be a 4th Edition, and look at the number of people who were already shouting how much they hated the idea and would never have anything to do with it.

Way too many people fear change.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Let's pretend that we're in Fanpro's mahogany-paneled board room of power, and that we're all wearing 1000 dollar Armani suits.

I close my eyes and I keep seeing Rob dressed in track pants and a stained and faded AC/DC shirt standing in a plywood shack. Which of our pictures is closer to the truth?

They have what, about 5 weeks now to get all the issues to bed? It certainly will be tight, although it is possible that the playtesters are getting stuff that is at least a few weeks behind what has actually been done. However at this point they are commited. Asking them to carry incured debt for another 12 months? With SR3 sales drying up because SR4 is acoming?

Announcements have been made, the die has already be cast.
SirBedevere
Sorry Snow_Fox, it's too late. FanPro have been advertising and saying that SR4 is coming out at GenCon 2005. While I, like you, doubt that they will be able to put out a quality product in that time (leaving aside the issue of whether or not I like SR4), FanPro made a business decision and they are committed. Saying "Sorry guys, we meant GenCon 2006 not 2005 will lose them vast amounts of credibility in the marketplace. As I imagine that orders will have already been made by distributors, if FanPro puts off the release for a year, in 2006 all they will get is a bronx cheer from the same distributors when asked if they will order SR4.

From what you say I can see why FanPro took the gamble of bringing out SR4 at this years GenCon, but I don't think it's going to pay off. There isn't, in my opinion, time for proper playtesting or proper editing before BBB4 has to go to the printers. (To say nothing about the probability of getting a decent index!)

Even if the new rules are the best thing since sliced bread (and I know that my opinion is biased the other way), I doubt that they will be formatted or presented well due to lack of time.

Whoever in FanPro made the decision to create a totally new rules set in what seems to be inadequate time, will no doubt be facing corporate displeasure. That individual should count themselves lucky that Shadowrun is not real, as we all know what displeasing ones corporate masters leads too!
SR4-WTF?
FanPro could still pull this out though. First they choose a cheaper print option for the book so that it falls apart in about 4 months. Say a spline glue designed to go brittle or biodegrade very quickly. Then they use the cash from sales of the first printing of SR4 to rewrite the SR4 rules and reprint the BBB, with the "errata" in place, just in time for the Christmas season.

Damn, I think I'm a marketing genius. Anyone know who at FanPro I should send my resume to?
Edward
I have my own theory about what the critical brokenness is in SR3 and if I am correct it dose not bode well for SR4.

SR is being marketed to ages 12 and up, this means that an average 12 year old has to be able to comprehend the rules. Assuming you start with a 12 year old of moderate intelligence with an interest in the idea of playing SR but no knowledge of the rules they will become so confused trying to learn SR3 rules that they will soon not be having fun and return to there video games.

In spite of there claims that SR will not be dubbed down if they want it to be comprehensible to an average 12 year old it will need to be for more simplistic. Of cause indications so far do not show this happening ether,

I still maintain that we should end up with a good (or at least playable) game, but it will loose a lot of tactical elements that I considered a strong point of the system.

I am only happy that I will be travelling for the first 6 months of SR 4, when I get back hopefully there will be a second printing, with errata because they will bring it out when they said and it will be to soon.

Edward
Adam
I close my eyes and I keep seeing Rob dressed in track pants and a stained and faded AC/DC shirt standing in a plywood shack.

The image of Rob in an AC/DC shirt will keep me giggling for the whole day. Thanks!
Eldritch
Yeah, they've commited themselves, I don't see it happening. It'd be nice if they had more time. But ehy got an idea, took a gamble and will run with it. I've always hoed that it would pay off, but the more I see about it, the more I see SR getting buried.

And Funk, you need to read back a couple months - we've all said quite plainly that we don't fear change - we question the need for a change of this magnatude. SR3 isn't so eff'd up that it requires a complete rewrite. change is not alwas good or neccessary, movement is not always forward.
Bomber
I think that we should remember the a lot of us were the average 12 year olds when SR first came out (I was). I stuck with it, house ruled some things and kept others. My current game is pretty good.

With a change in rules, my game will be the same. I will look at the rules, use what's good, house rule the rest, and once again have fun at playing SR.

Fun is the key word.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Out of the corner of your eye, you catch sight of thin ropes falling down past the window. You have just enough time to shout a warning before the first black-clad figure slides into view, firing armor-piercing rounds from a compact assault rifle through the window. Squeezing off a few ill-aimed shots from your Tiffani Needler, you make a desperate rush for the door. Your heart sinks as the handle stops with an ominous "click", the door still quite closed. You turn to see one of the intruders taking aim at you, the words "of the Coast" barely visible in the folds of his jacket. He slowly squeezes the trigger…

~J
mfb
that'll never happen. d20's firearm rules are even more batshit insane than SR's. they assault ninjas would be all "i spray autofire in a 15' by 15' area!" and the dev team would be like "please, sucka, i got +16 reflex save bonus. what."
Kagetenshi
You underestimate the deviousness of the WotC strike teams. The strike teams used Raygun's rules!

~J
mfb
they can't do that. ...wait, unless they turn into a 3rd-party d20 supplement. is nothing sacred?
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
In the end the "PR campaign" won't mean jack squat. I can all but guarantee that everyone who's adamantly stated that they won't have anything to do with SR4 will be amongst the first people to buy a copy when it comes out.

Although very likely to be true, i feel that it would because they are wanting to check to see if the rules are as bad as they are hoping. If only to prove to themselfs that they were right in believing the new game will be a bag of toss (or not)
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (mfb)
they can't do that. ...wait, unless they turn into a 3rd-party d20 supplement. is nothing sacred?

nah, if the ninja's strike now, we're using the 3rd ed rules so that doesn't come into play.
winterhawk11
QUOTE (Adam)
The image of Rob in an AC/DC shirt will keep me giggling for the whole day. Thanks!

Hell, the image of Rob in track pants is enough to keep me giggling. rotfl.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ Jun 5 2005, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jun 5 2005, 03:30 PM)
In the end the "PR campaign" won't mean jack squat.  I can all but guarantee that everyone who's adamantly stated that they won't have anything to do with SR4 will be amongst the first people to buy a copy when it comes out.

Although very likely to be true, i feel that it would because they are wanting to check to see if the rules are as bad as they are hoping. If only to prove to themselfs that they were right in believing the new game will be a bag of toss (or not)

Which, in the end, is the problem with anyone on Dumpshock complainning. Most everyone here, no matter how bitterly anyone on here complains, is still going to dump money on SR, no matter if it's great or if it sucks, just because it's SR. Diehard fans always do that sort of thing, no matter how much the product sucks: look at how many people lined up for the last two Star Wars films days, weeks in advance (hell, some of them in the wrong theater!) One of the reasons Fanpro doesn't really *have* to listen to us very much is because they know we're gonna drop our money on the latest book, whether we like it or not.

On the same note, complaining in here really doesn't change anything either. From this side of the screen it doesn't look like a single thing has been influenced or even brought into consideration by the collective feelings of reservation on this board. Well, maybe one thing: all the whining managed to drive Patrick away from the SR4 board, but I don't really count that as positive influence.

Or am I wrong, and all the debate over here actually has had an effect? I have noticed a decided lack of new "SR4 FAQ" entries, which I at least consider all to the good. As far as I can tell no information at all is better than those poorly written, deliberately and overly vague reminders of past Fanpro mistakes (the previous SR FAQs) that those "SR4 FAQ"s were. Did we actually manage to stop those, or did they stop for a different, unrelated reason?
Snow_Fox
Maybe people are giving up hope. And when it comes to
One of the reasons Fanpro doesn't really *have* to listen to us very much is because they know we're gonna drop our money on the latest book, whether we like it or not
speak for yourself. What I've seen here and of their released info has moved me into the "no" camp. Maybe if it goes well and I like what I see in someone's borrowed copy, but at this point, my whole group have better things to spend out money on than 4th ed when we're fine with 3rd ed.
I've put enough cash into this over the years and this would have to knock my socks off to get me to buy the basic rules all over again and I really don't see this coming.
I won't be among those keeping them going. I'm one of those their indifference has driven off.
Ol' Scratch
And the truth starts coming out again, just like in the pre-SR4 announcement threads. People are just complaining because they have to (and will despite crying that they won't) buy a new edition.

Boohoo.
Bandwidthoracle
This way be a bit off topic but, I'm confused as to what people don't like?
I mean I breaking up magic stats is gonna be great. Magic needs to be fixed more than anything else I can think of.
My group had allready been erasing the line between Rigger/Decker.
If Technomancers are grown up Otaku, then hopefully otaku will still be there.
I don't understand the roll mechanic, but it can't be as bad as D20.
I think this could be a great chance for SR to get away from the Immortal Elfs (The biggest problem in SR imho), and go back to dystopia and go back to the gibson hackery, fighting the system feeling.
Honestly what changes are so bad?
Eldritch
And the truth starts coming out again, just like in the pre-SR4 announcement threads. People are just complaining because they have to (and will despite crying that they won't) buy a new edition.

Boohoo.

Just what truth are you refering to?

I dunno anyones definition of a 'die hard fan' but I've played since the games orginal release. I'bve bought and read all the novels, and in the beginnign I bout every source book published. But As I got older, real life finances intruded and I had to cut back - pick and choose my books.

As I have stated before, I will not be buying SR4. Not only has anyone proven the need for a full rewrite, but what has been given to us so far has not only not impresses me - has completely irritated me. Not only are they rewriting the rules, but what they are doing to the game does not look good to me.
I'm sure I'm not the only 'die hard fan' in the world that will not buy the books. I can only hope that those in the 'wait and see camp' get the chance to preview the rules before they buy. So they can better spend thier money and not give it to the travesty that this has become.

I'll continue to play SR3 till I can't find players for it. Then I'll move on.

Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jun 5 2005, 08:02 PM)
Which, in the end, is the problem with anyone on Dumpshock complainning. Most everyone here, no matter how bitterly anyone on here complains, is still going to dump money on SR, no matter if it's great or if it sucks, just because it's SR.

I will because I'm an idiot, but I doubt that some of the more adamant doubters will. It also doesn't mean they'll buy it and use it.

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

Have you not been paying attention?
Ellery
I'll buy SR4 as a tribute to SR2 and SR3 and all the enjoyment I've gained from those products. But if I'm not gaining enjoyment from the SR4 products (and so far I don't see why I would), I'm not going to buy them. Pretty simple, really! I buy games to have fun.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Which, in the end, is the problem with anyone on Dumpshock complainning. Most everyone here, no matter how bitterly anyone on here complains, is still going to dump money on SR, no matter if it's great or if it sucks, just because it's SR.

I will because I'm an idiot, but I doubt that some of the more adamant doubters will. It also doesn't mean they'll buy it and use it.

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

I have been paying attention, I've read all the SR4 faqs
Seriously, what of what the shadwoFaqs have stated is so bad?
FrostyNSO

Boohoo.

Speak for yourself.

The only problem I have with SR4 so far is the terrible way it is being handled by Fanpro. I don't have a lot of faith in what their doing because they aren't telling us what their doing.

Check it out, your penis is messed up but we can't tell you how it's messed up. We're going to give you a new, better penis and it's going to be so much cooler and easier to use, and you will still have lots of fun with it. Unfortunately, we can't tell you how it's going to be better or how it's going to work, so you'll just have to take our word for it.

I'll stick with my old penis.

Probably not the best example...Anyways, I can't say SR4 is going to be great or it's going to be crap because I don't know anything about it. Yes, they're making changes, yes they've shown us some of those changes. But without putting those changes into context with the how the rest of the system looks, it just gets people riled up. I don't understand the need for all this secrecy, it's not the Manhatten project for God's sake. It's a game.

Instead of these poorly written, vague faq's, why don't they put out a "this is roughly how character creation will work", followed by a "this is how decking is going to work", along with some examples, etc. etc.

I seriously doubt anyone who is into SR is going to not buy the book because they got a snippet of rules from the net. If people like it, they're going to buy the book. Now if Fanpro is trying to dupe people into buying the book knowing that they might not like it, that's F-ed up. I don't think they're doing that intentionally, but with how the FAQ's are written, I could make that mistake. Also, doing little mini-releases gives the community a chance to "playtest" a little themselves and possibly find holes that may have been missed by other playtesters.

Maybe I'm totally missing the mark on this, I'm sure you'll all let me know if this is the case and that's fine.

As it stands now, I'm not even going to make a trip to my gaming store to thumb through the book. If someone I know gets it and likes it, then I'll take a look, but now...it's not been shown to be worth my time. I'm just fine with SR3 and a few houserules.
Ranneko
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 6 2005, 12:27 AM)

QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)

Well if you read through this forum, you will find that just about every single change has been recieved negatively.

Personally I am still completely unmoved from my intitial wait and see position. I want to see the complete ruleset before I start whining/cheering.

I just hope they bring out a PDF copy, because that makes it both easier and cheaper to obtain.
Ellery

Just look around here.

People worry that losing combat pools will make the game less tactical. People worry that the fixed TN system will make the system less suitable for playing a range of power levels. People find the magic rules not so bad compared to, say, the rigger rules, and wonder why FanPro is so negative about what many consider to be one SR3's better rulesets. People are unconvinced that splitting attributes will make the game simpler, especially given all the weird attributes (essence, magic, resonance, edge). People worry that redoing the rules from scratch is going to result in glitchy, unpolished rules, especially given the time pressures. People wonder whether magic is going to get too inexpensive and everyone will pick up magical talent, given the split it magic attributes and presumed weakening of starting level mages with the variable magic rating.

On the up side, most people seem to be positive about the changes to the Matrix and combining riggers and deckers. The devil is in the details, of course.

Just look around DS and read. I happen to share almost all of the concerns above, so I remembered those.
frostPDP
I can only tell three things for certain.

1: I will, despite my fears, dislikes, and other things (and I stand by them) , be buying SR4. This doesn't make me a turncoat to the no-SR4 cause (since I think under optimal conditions, such as a great product, everyone will be in favor of one), but it makes me a fair man - I want to see for myself what might be wrong.

2: Edge will be replaced by old-school Karma Pools. Plain and simple. Perhaps characters will get their essence - magic extra for Karma Pools (a possible edge mechanic I've seen out here), but regardless I like Karma Pools. Every 10 (or 20) GK, you can bet on a Karma Pool point.

3: I am still, despite being willing to buy SR4, terrified that I will pick it up, feeling nausea simply from the evil resonating from it, and read it to find it is horribly, horribly written. I will then simply keep it for entertainment value and storyline developments, and keep pushing SR 3 'till the day I die.

Those three thing said, I was shocked when I showed up...When? Feburary? And saw SR4 was coming out. In August. I said to myself "Do these guys really have it together?" [edit] Thanks Kagetenshi, for the reminder of when it was there. [end edit]

SSX4 is coming out in November (I could be wrong.) and I can damn well bet that it is either using SSX3's engine or has been in development for a long time. SR4, on the other hand, is using a brand new mechanic which is full of holes as many playtesters have 007'd us about and has already been discussed.

That said, delaying the SR4 release would make sense if it wasn't so close to the actual release date. If they realized a month ago there was a problem, postponing would be feasable. Now its just a little too late.

Oh, and telling us something less vague then a cup filled with tea leaves could....That'd really help defray some of the anxiety of FrostyNSO's penis analogy.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (frostPDP)
Those three thing said, I was shocked when I showed up...When? Feburary? And saw SR4 was coming out.

The announcement was, IIRC, March 14.

~J
Cheops
Great...the day before the Ides of March...are the fans Caesar?

As someone pointed out...I am a diehard Shadowrun fan. I will likely buy the 4th edition just because it is shadowrun despite all my complaining on these boards. However, it will probably end up like the reems of other "impulse" buys I've made on various d20 products and other systems. That is to say, it will likely get pawned off to a game store's used book shelf and I will download the free PDF off of a PTP. FanPro still gets its money from the core book, the game store makes a little more money off of me (who are the people I have no trouble supporting), and I have to have less shelf space. (although all the other supplements and sourcebooks will be taken off a PTP like I've started doing with the crap that LRG publishes for Earthdawn)
Crimsondude 2.0
Actually it WAS on the Ides of March.

And it's about as funny as getting stabbed in the eye.
Cheops
Yeah...sadly enough I had almost the same reaction to SR4 as I did to 9/11

i.e. WTF this has to be a joke...oh wait...it isn't
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

The hell do they care if you use it? All you have to do is buy it. You don't matter anyway; you're getting older and won't be buying games for much longer. It's all about the kids; they're the ones who have money to keep the company going for years.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jun 6 2005, 06:59 AM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Jun 5 2005, 09:27 PM)

The hell do they care if you use it? All you have to do is buy it. You don't matter anyway; you're getting older and won't be buying games for much longer. It's all about the kids; they're the ones who have money to keep the company going for years.

No, it's about the 18ish - 30ish demographic. In there are the people that have the disposable money to blow $100/month on gaming items and not even flinch. But you got to hook them as kids, thus the 4 to 5 year lead time Snow Fox was talking about to develop the market.

Frankly I'm a bit surprised that Shadowrun numbers are still as good as Snow Fox implies. There must have been little customer base erosion in the past years, or a lot more new customers than I'd expect given the profile drop of Shadowrun I've seen in my personal experience.
nezumi
I may be young and naive, but yes, I'd say wait another year. Even another few months. I can't say I know anything about the gaming industry. I don't know how many book sales they'll lose by not opening in GenCon. But if it's a credibility question, are you going to be more credible saying honestly 'we've had to delay the game because we've had some unexpected delays' or trying to push a game that sucks. Not that I've heard of any gaming stores in the area boasting how they'll be carrying SR4 as soon as its available anyway.

Yes, wait. Make sure it's a product to be proud of. If this is meant to last 4-6 years, it makes sense to me to lose a small amount of profit for delaying 6-12 months and in exchange create a product that's of high enough quality that it will be popular in 4-6 years (and won't require v4.1 because of stacks of bugs they missed the first time around.) This sounds like the release of Windows 95, and just look where Microsoft is now... Oh wait, forget that.

As for the book, it will be on my birthday present list, I likely will get it, but I don't plan on buying it for myself unless it gets some awesome reviews here. I'm just cheap like that. However, unless I enjoy it, I will continue running and converting people to SR3.
hermit

Wow. Just .... wow.

Penta
Agree w/ hermit, frighteningly. Some of you take your gaming wayyyyy too seriously.
Shadow
I am getting a little bit tired of my arguments being discounted for the following reasons...

1. It's a new edition and there will always be people who hate a new edition just because it is change.

> I would like to point out that when the SR4 announcement was first made I was hugely excited! Why? Because the change from 2 to 3 was a vast improvement. I was looking forward to the same kind of refinement. Fanpro should be calling this Shadowrun: 2070. Because it is not a 4th edition, it is a 1st edition.

2. I am flying off the handle and I don't know what I am talking about because I have not seen the complete rules.

>I have chosen to not see a number of Films based entirely on the preview. Thats what a preview is for, it is to get you interested in the product. So far the SR4 previews have been a complete disaster. Like the movie Titanic, I don't have to see it to know I won't like it.

I understand completely Fanpro's decision, and I understand why they made it, I simply disagree with there assessment that the SR3 rules had to be completely scrapped in order to bring in new fans.

ADD&D was transformed into D&D 3 without scrapping the entire system. They simply stripped it back to the basics and reworked it. Fanpro could have done the same thing. Called it SR4 and released a great product.

If they had done that though they would still be working on a FASA product and not a wholly original Fanpro product.
Eldritch
QUOTE (Shadow)
I am getting a little bit tired of my arguments being discounted for the following reasons...

1. It's a new edition and there will always be people who hate a new edition just because it is change.

> I would like to point out that when the SR4 announcement was first made I was hugely excited! Why? Because the change from 2 to 3 was a vast improvement. I was looking forward to the same kind of refinement. Fanpro should be calling this Shadowrun: 2070. Because it is not a 4th edition, it is a 4th edition.

2. I am flying off the handle and I don't know what I am talking about because I have not seen the complete rules.

>I have chosen to not see a number of Films based entirely on the preview. Thats what a preview is for, it is to get you interested in the product. So far the SR4 previews have been a complete disaster. Like the movie Titanic, I don't have to see it to know I won't like it.

I understand completely Fanpro's decision, and I understand why they made it, I simply disagree with there assessment that the SR3 rules had to be completely scrapped in order to bring in new fans.

ADD&D was transformed into D&D 3 without scrapping the entire system. They simply stripped it back to the basics and reworked it. Fanpro could have done the same thing. Called it SR4 and released a great product.

If they had done that though they would still be working on a FASA product and not a wholly original Fanpro product.

Agreed!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Penta)
Agree w/ hermit, frighteningly. Some of you take your gaming wayyyyy too seriously.

On the contrary, it's a perfectly valid comparison (at least as long as we're not talking magnitude)--I've felt the same way a number of times something I don't want to believe happens. It's like Lennon's popularity comparison with Jesus--accurate, but misleading because of the emotional charge some people give to one of the items being compared.

~J
GaiasWrath8
QUOTE (Cheops)

WOW, I am not the only one.

This might be off topic, but I spent the first 6 hours of 9/11 thinking it was a joke or publicity stunt. Guess how suprised I was when my unit got activated. LOL
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 6 2005, 11:46 AM)
QUOTE (Penta @ Jun 6 2005, 11:29 AM)

On the contrary, it's a perfectly valid comparison (at least as long as we're not talking magnitude)--I've felt the same way a number of times something I don't want to believe happens. It's like Lennon's popularity comparison with Jesus--accurate, but misleading because of the emotional charge some people give to one of the items being compared.

~J

In Lennon's case religion was already the topic of the discussion he had been lead to. Here Cheops brought a highly charged reference and associated baggage into play all by himself. At worst he was trying to convey a similar level of seriousness. At best, which is most likely given the full context, just made a poor choice.

Postscript: That doesn't mean Lennon didn't make a poor word choice, too. He later acknowledged, at least publicly, that he did.
nezumi
I can understand people being so moved by SR4 compared to 9/11.

After all, in my life, I know no one in NYC. I've never even been to the world trade centers. We've been the victims of terrorist attacks before (albeit, none on this scale). I have no friends who are likely to be called away on duty. The only difference it made in my life is the guards now have sidearms, and maybe Bush got reelected when otherwise he might not have (oh yeah, and the patriot act, which I fear). Shallow, I know, but that's how I've been impacted.

SR4 will strike significantly closer to home.

Is 9/11 more important? Sure. But I don't get down on people who hear about a massacre in Ethiopia or the riots in Venezuela and say 'meh, it won't effect me'.

SR4-WTF?
Check out the US federal budget. It has affected you and will continue to affect you. That aside even when it is remote and has little direct impact on my life, wouldn't you find it in very poor taste for me to equate people dieing to rather mundane things? Something such as "When I came out in the morning to find my morning newspaper rain-soaked I felt like when your mother died. Surprised and disappointed."
Kagetenshi
In poor taste? Maybe. Inaccurate? Maybe not so much.

~J
Eldritch

Did you guys read that last part? His initial reaction to 9/11 was "Is this a joke?"

Is inital reaction to SR4 was "Is this a joke?"

He wasn't equating the loss of life or the impact that the event had on anyones life. Just "Is this a joke?" As in he, for just a few minutes, wondered if these events were really happening.
hermit
I still cannot quite relate to how the mere mentioning of a rules revision did affect some forumites on that scale, but I guess that would have happened to me too if my favourite modding project closed down or my university suddelny would decide to demand fees - starting with your enrollment, no matter how far back it was.

But 9-11? Well, maybe it is because I came close to loing a family member there (turned out it wasn't his plane involved, thankfully), but I cannot help but find this comparison more than a bit obscene. But, well .... I guess, for a true fan, it could have been like that. Whatever.
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jun 6 2005, 12:37 PM)
In poor taste? Maybe. Inaccurate? Maybe not so much.

~J

Accuracate? It is either insulting by needlessly highlighting I didn't care much his mother's life or it means I take my morning news reading just a wee bit too seriously. A magnitude qualifier would help, but not much.

Given some of the emotional statements that have been made here, if Cheops intended the former it could still easily be mistaken for the later. The later was the way I read it at first, but decided it was likely mostly the former or he just had some hyperbole going on. Or at least hoped so, and just let it slide.

@ Eldritch, the context is key to why I decided myself to let it slide. I just tried to think the best of him, that he just made an honest judgement mistake. Once again a magnitude qualifier would have helped for people more directly affected. He lifted the one end of the stick to use it, he was responsible for what the other end of the stick was going to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012