Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Hacker" Insight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
RangerJoe
The future is now.

It doesn't take a lot of imagination to think of SR4 applications of this technology. I just wonder what it will mean for "room-specific" IC (i.e., a threat, tagged to the dataspace of a certain part of a corp building). Watch out for that "Blinky" utility!
Jrayjoker
An interesting article. I can see how this could evolve into a technospace overlaying the real world.
Shadow
Oh man I want the Quake version of this. Lets see those fat jerks who like to camp spawn points do a roll to avoid incoming fire smile.gif
RangerJoe
I get the feeling that SR4 "technospace" (a good term, Jray) is going to be the new astral of SR4. It's one thing when the mage says, "there's an elemental in the next room--get the sandblaster ready" and an entirely different kettle of fish when the hacker announces "There's some mean IC holed up down the hall. Um...if blood starts pouring from my ears...well...I guess you guys can't do anything about that. *gulp*"

Much as augmented reality sounds like a cool way of bringing deckers out of their mothers' basements, I worry at how easily the new hackers will be integrated into a running team.
frostPDP
Agreed with Joe.

I don't mind a technospace sort of approach to the wireless net. The problem is, I -love- the Matrix as it is. (I know, I'm crazy) I want to see it still exist.

I would want to make Cyberdecks far smaller and sleeker, and see the technospace as only part of a computer network, not the whole thing.

Wait, I'm speaking too soon - We have no idea what "hackers" will be doing. Fanpro hasn't said much.
Jrayjoker
The military training implications are staggering.

IIRC the civilian population does not have access to the same accuracy in GPS tech as the military(10-30 m versus less than 1 m for the military), the feds could probably develop this for training at a level of accuracy that would be frightening to behold.
Krazy
that was with selective availability turned on. since the late 90's the US gov't has turned that off, giving civilan recevers the same accuracy (best accracy of +- 1m) this was due to many civilan SAR groups using GPS and the licencing of GPS for critical navigation. (auto land features) the limit on the accuracy is largly due to the long wavelenth of the GPS signal. so the GPS to an inch wil not happen. unless someone can make a shortwave signal travel very long distances without ionasphere propogation (the way shortwave radio reaches the entire globe)
SR4-WTF?
Further GPS signals are vulnerable to distortion by the water vapour in clouds. There are some fixed point weather stations that use this phenomenon to measure atmosphere conditions by variations in GPS readings at a known fixed point.
Crimsondude 2.0
Repost
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Might want to consider these articles for their "augmented reality" idea:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/ael/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augmented_reality

http://www.uk.research.att.com/ar/
* http://www.uk.research.att.com/bat/
* http://www.uk.research.att.com/spirit/

I find it hard to accept that an extension of this to SR means "digital fireballs" and that assorted nonsense.

I'm actually watching an interesting video which seamlessly incorporates digital constructs into video of live action (like the first down line they show in football games, or the puck tracking system Fox unveiled several years ago). Actually, it is so unrevolutionary in Shadowrun that the tactical computer from way back in SR1/2 (nice transition product) did something similar, projecting icons of where targets were expected to be, and filling them out from partial cover (or so it was claimed, and they did so without affecting game mechanics).
Johnnycache
"Hiro, you're a gargoyle."
"No, this is different."
FrostyNSO
From the way it sounds, they are trying to make all characters "part-hacker". I seem to remember them saying that everybody will have to be wired in in some way.

This I don't like if it's true.
Crimsondude 2.0
Where did you get that impression?

I mean, sure technology is ubiquitous in 'civilized' areas like it is now, but that seems like a stretch.
FrostyNSO
Bah, I can't find it.

Something about making augmented reality a part of everyday life that every character has to interact with on a daily basis.

Damn I wish I could find where I saw that.
Demonseed Elite
Just thought I'd add this story I came across this morning to the mix.
Sicarius
Two weeks later

Tokyo- Olympus Corp is reeling from the tragic commuter jet crash over the Sea of Japan. which killed the executive board of of that tech development office. The Olympus Corp had made business news with the announcement of their preparations for HUD unit being ready for market...

In related news Sony Corporation moved to acquire Olympus today. Sony stock is up 1.50 on the news.

cyber.gif

chevalier_neon
Bah, I can't find it.

Something about making augmented reality a part of everyday life that every character has to interact with on a daily basis.

Damn I wish I could find where I saw that.

You saw that on the preview of SR4, when the information was released in march (I think so, at least). I mean I remember the article which was about "augmented reality", but I cannot find it again...

In my opinion, this doesn't mean that all the people will be "hackers"... See, you have a computer, an internet connexion, and you are not a hacker (... or, are you smile.gif ? ).
I think they are trying to stick to the way our society is evolving : we are using more and more the internet, computers, chips, and so there should be more application of this technology in 2070... But, let's say, it's not because everybody is using a car that everybody can fix/build a car...
Sicarius
Oh. (more relevant post) It also reminds me of the piece of tech from Virtual Light, by Gibson.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Sicarius)
Oh. (more relevant post) It also reminds me of the piece of tech from Virtual Light, by Gibson.

Haven't read it, whats it do?
Edward
I believe the US military reserved the right to turn there GPS encryption back on if they want to, it is however unlikely that they will do this in any situation other than full scale world war.

As to the ubiquitous nature of WMI AROs and the technology to see them there are 2 broad categories of people that will not have them. People that don’t want them, mainly overly zealous mages, conspiracy theorists with mind control theorys and those that believe they don’t need it. The second group is the poor, where is somebody that was born in a squat and has to raid trashcans for food going to get even HUD goggles, and if he dose would he not sell them for a good meal medicine

Edward
nezumi
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
QUOTE (Sicarius @ Jun 7 2005, 06:44 AM)

Haven't read it, whats it do?

If memory serves, it was a cool visor (sort of like that 3D eye cover thing Nintendo tried to market wayyy back in the day). When the wearer put them on and looked around at the city, all of the future plans for it were overlayed over the existing city, so he could see new buildings and all their important information pasted seemlessly over the currently existing buildings.

But I might just be misremembering. Wasn't a terrific book, but wasn't bad.
viggo
They'd better make "computer illiterate" or "jack itch' MUCH more valuable smile.gif
Kesh
Y'know, I've been seeing about this kind of tech on Scientific American Frontiers since I was in grade school. MIT's been working on it for years. Saw a recent episode where they went back to MIT to see how things have improved and, damn if it isn't impressive how far things have come.

Mix in some things like 802.11x, Bluetooth, RFID, a PDA and a transparent LED screen in a pair of glasses (or a projection display onto glasses) and you've got "augmented reality" that can display the name of the current art you're viewing in the museum, let you look up the artist's other works available in the building, do a search for how valuable the painting is online and send a copy of all the information to your home machine with a note, "Possible heist next week. Check Lone Star's response time for this area!" biggrin.gif
sanctusmortis
I'm trying to find the article I read a while back where Sony filed a patent for neural nets... Seems like they believe it's a technology that could become available in the next 10 years, and as such it looks like the "old" Matrix system could be edging closer too...
El Ojitos
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I find it hard to accept that an extension of this to SR means "digital fireballs" and that assorted nonsense.

Generally all that augmented reality stuff these articles are talking about means that a computer somewhere projects something into your field of vision - and as long as you receive these things with some kind of external gear like goggles you should be fine.
If, however, you want to interact with these consructs, maybe even cause them to display data you're not really entitled to see, you need to really plug youself (i.e. your brain) into that augmented reality server. In that case I don't see why certain programs (ICE, "digital fireballs") should not be able to fry you.
Crimsondude 2.0
Because I was specifically referring to non-DNI AR.
El Ojitos
Oh, were you? ohplease.gif Can't find any mention of that anywhere in the thread.
Anyway, what gave you the idea that anyone was suggesting "digital fireballs" worked in a non-DNI environment?
hobgoblin
a digital fireball may not work (alltho if it looked realy real it could make people dive for cover or similar) but a digital inkbomb may silly.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
The references to Cybergenerations.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012