Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ally Spirits with Conjuring
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fistandantilus4.0
Never really thought about it, and I don't think that MiTS addresses it, but is there any reason that an Ally spirit can't have the conjuring skill, and use it to summon spirits or elementals? I assume it would still work the same. Max on call (or able to call if shamanic) is the spirits charisma. Conjures whatever type the summoner conjures. I guess the rules really aren't in question for it (except would it still use shamanic modifiers if it's summoner was a shaman?). Just wondering if there was any reason that they couldn't do it.
scoundrel
QUOTE (Magic in the Shadows @ page 110, under Skills)
An ally cannot have conjuring, but it can have Enchanting.
fistandantilus4.0
thanks, I always forget to bring my MiTS to work. Usually Hahnsoo covers me on that. WHere's he been anyways?
fistandantilus4.0
BTW, what about free spirits?
scoundrel
I don't have a page reference, but I'm pretty sure that free spirits can't conjure either.
Panzergeist
"I conjure a conjurer spirit, and use its 3 services to make it conjure three more spirits for me." Kind of like my "create spell" spell.
fistandantilus4.0
well, if an Ally can't do that, it's not really a problem. But what about free spirits? Any reason they couldn't? They can still learn skills like any one else (well, when they get karma at least).
Apathy
I don't have a page reference, but I'm pretty sure that free spirits can't conjure either.

Unless they're bug mothers...

Stray thought... If a bug mother goes free, can it learn Invoking (to conjure other mothers) or channelling?
fistandantilus4.0
spirits learning metamagic... could be fun!
Hoondatha
Especially since no one except the dragons and IE's know where the bug's home plane is, so you can't permanently kill a free bug spirit.
Herald of Verjigorm
No, bug shamen know and can go questing for the true names of other bugs. The easiest method is to find a mantid shaman.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Panzergeist @ Jun 9 2005, 11:10 PM)
"I conjure a conjurer spirit, and use its 3 services to make it conjure three more spirits for me."  Kind of like my "create spell" spell.

Theat wouldn't work for the simple reason that your the three new spirits would owe services to the conjurer spirit, not you. When the conjurer spirit's three srvices are up it can its spirits do whatever it wants.

QUOTE (Apathy)

Unless they're bug mothers...

Stray thought... If a bug mother goes free, can it learn Invoking (to conjure other mothers) or channellin

Free spirits can teach invoking. It is reasonable to assume that Free Spirits know Invoking even if they can't summon.
fistandantilus4.0
So if a free spirit can teach invoking, does that mean that it can therefore USE invoking, and can there fore summon, or does it just have a better grasp of how spirits manifest, and can pass that on to the summoner/student
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So if a free spirit can teach invoking, does that mean that it can therefore USE invoking, and can there fore summon, or does it just have a better grasp of how spirits manifest, and can pass that on to the summoner/student

It has a better grasp on how spirits manifest. I am pretty sure that all Free Spirits can teach invoking. However, only Insect Queens and Mothers can summon.
fistandantilus4.0
THanks. Makes sense with what I've seen in the game at least. Althogh I don't think I've ever seen the actual rule for it. Any idea where the rule can be found (Like Frosty, I'm at work, no books, sad)?
hyzmarca
According to MiTSp.70 any Free Spirit can teach invoking, but they don't like to and usualy charge double karma.

The Insect Spirit section lists Summoning as an Insect Spirit power and states that it is reserved for Queen and Mothers (P.133).

The Free Spirit section doesn't directly state that they cannot summon. However, Summoning is not listed as a Free Spirit power (P.117-118).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012