Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what happened to Kid Stealth?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Cynic project
Did the killing machine finally die?

And Raven?

We knwo that Wolf is up and kicking in 2060ish, but not much else.

And while I am at it, what about Zig and Zag?
DocMortand
One of the more recent stories had Kid Stealth AND Zig/Zag. Or I read about 'em somewheres, anyways...
Snow_Fox
yep, they're still running in Seattle. since Dr Raven is more orgnaized they can avoid the petty work.
Cynic project
QUOTE (DocMortand)
One of the more recent stories had Kid Stealth AND Zig/Zag. Or I read about 'em somewheres, anyways...

What story?
Angelone
I know in terminus Experiment Wolf mentions Kid Stealth was injured, but will survive and Raven and crew were upset and looking for who did it. That story I belive happened in 2060. Haven't read anything more recent about them in novels, but saw a few more recent posts in sourcebooks.
nick012000
Out of curiosity, does Kid Stealth have Kid Stealth (digitigrade) cyberlegs?
cykotek
QUOTE (nick012000)
Out of curiosity, does Kid Stealth have Kid Stealth (digitigrade) cyberlegs?

Yup. I believe they were named after him, in fact.
SirBedevere
What books were Kid Stealth, Raven et al in, apart from Wolf & Raven?
Grinder
Iirc in the first SR novel, with all the short stories in it.
Bigity
That's Wolf and Raven.
Grinder
Oh. I'm always confusing this, sorry.
Bigity
No problem!
Wounded Ronin
The fashion police shot him in the legs. rotfl.gif
Jrayjoker
He only comes out at night.

Does the Kid stealth leg have the option of lookong metahuman-normal , like the aliens in The Arrival that can bend their legs forward to look human?
Bigity
I don't think so.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)

Does the Kid stealth leg have the option of lookong metahuman-normal , like the aliens in The Arrival that can bend their legs forward to look human?

Nope, which makes him utterly freaking retarded and implausible as a shadowrunner. Let's hear it for bad writing and authors who try to "be cool".
Ol' Scratch
I used them on a satyr once and just added a token amount (on par with the difference between Obvious and Synthetic legs) to the cost to reflect the Synthetic look. And now with the Satyr Legs SURGE trait out there, you could get away with it on others quite easily, though they'll stand out just like any other changeling would (but the legs themselves should be able to get away without being obviously cybernetic).

The only thing I truly hate about Kid Stealth Legs is their very existance. A custom job for some lame-ass runner with a suicide wish for standing out in a crowd? Sure, I can handle that. A mainstream mass-produced implant that's nearly as easy to get your hands on as standard limbs (and just as legal), and then named after a shadowrunner? Whatever.
Supercilious
I tend to geek anyone in my game who buys them, or I atleast make their life hard.
Jrayjoker
Their life should be hard. They were stupid enough to buy the damn things, so breathing must be a constant chore... wink.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Supercilious)
I tend to geek anyone in my game who buys them, or I atleast make their life hard.

Geeking them is too harsh. Just having people roll on social tables to even deal with them is enough.
Angelone
Kid Stealth legs aren't all too different from other obvious cyberlimbs in my mind. They are intimidation pure and simple. Kid Stealth wasn't a face type, neither is anyone with such mods. They are to lurk in the background make whoever's dealing with the face uneasy and less likely to try anything dumb.
DocMortand
Novels with Raven's gang:
Into the Shadows (Stackpole's stories - "Would it help if I said I was sorry?" is Zig and Zag after the stories in Wolf and Raven, I believe...)
Wolf and Raven
Terminus Experiment?

I can't remember which SBs the guys were in as well - you bookninjas out there can probably dig that out faster than I ever could.
Cochise
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Nope, which makes him utterly freaking retarded and implausible as a shadowrunner. Let's hear it for bad writing and authors who try to "be cool".

I guess that's why Stackpole mentioned in one of the stories that Kid Stealth also hat a pair of normal legs for occasions where his raptor inspired ones wouldn't be suitable ...

Not that much of "bad writing" or "implausibility" ...

The "implausibility" really comes in at the point that Doc F mentioned ...
Nikoli
So, is that a Cononical reference that people with cyberlegs can just switching them out like plug-and-play components?
Ol' Scratch
There's an option for something similar to that in Man & Machine, but if memory serves its only intended for cyberhands and -feet. Not that it matters, though, as despite what some people on the forums think, the authors have no requirement to adhere to the rules especially if it interfers with some stupid gimmick they happen to think is "cool" at the time (such as cybered vampires, goblinized dwarfs, and Kid Stealth) but is really just a demonstration of their poor ability to write creatively.
Nikoli
And the poor martial skills of the various associated editors who should have whapped the said authors on the nose for such things.
Halabis
Actualy. Stackpole is an excelent writer. I believe the problem lies in the fact that Wolf and Raven was written before the actual Shadowrun rules were finalized. (although I may be wrong on this)
Fygg Nuuton
wolf and raven was written before the rules, IIRC
Ancient History
You are both correct.
Nikoli
Did he write the "Kid Stealth" concept?

I try to avoid all game based books. Writers rarely have a concept of what the core game is about, in most cases. They get an idea and the mesmerize themselves into believing that the chracters cannot exist with out that idea. Instead, they take the basics of the technology, and the setting and then toss all the logic behind presented technology out the window and they begin making this crap up without regard to the idea that a runner's primary armor against his enimies is anonymity. If you can pick the runner out of a line-up (hell if he looks like he needs to be in the line-up) then something has gone wrong. Kid Stealth is a terrible idea as written. there's no way a witness could fail to pick that crap out of a lineup. Now, had the legs been designed with normal proportions but nodified the lenth of the various (bones) to take advantage of those benefits and then revert back to normal when it was time to hide, that'd be fine. (By the way, the main difference between those legs and the normal kind is the length of the femor, the length of the foot and the length of the Tibula dn fibula in conjuction with denser muscle and ligament connections, something that cyberlegs could conceivably do) That thing we think of as a backwards knee is the ankle of the foot, the knee is higher up the leg.
hermit
The American novels had their high in the early books, then they rapidly deteriorated into comic-esque, unrealistic, bad-versus-good stories with flat characters and usually really stupid plots.

Interestingly, the first German novels were an insult to the trees that had to die for them, but the new ones are very nice reading indeed.

As for Kid Stealth ... well, it you imagine Shadowrun's cyborgs more like those in, say, Battle Angel Alita than how they turned out with SR3, Kid Stealth wouldn't have been such a looker as he now would be.

Basically, Cyberlegs should be possible to imitate any sort of leg, be it raptor, elephant, newt, or eastern dragon. Even caterpillars or wheels would be possible.

Also, what about a dwarf who decides to get a full-body conversion - to a troll body? Any rules for that? Nop, sadly not. Is it impossible in the game world, because of this? I would say no.
Cynic project
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
There's an option for something similar to that in Man & Machine, but if memory serves its only intended for cyberhands and -feet. Not that it matters, though, as despite what some people on the forums think, the authors have no requirement to adhere to the rules especially if it interfers with some stupid gimmick they happen to think is "cool" at the time (such as cybered vampires, goblinized dwarfs, and Kid Stealth) but is really just a demonstration of their poor ability to write creatively.

One in the rules if someone with cyberware become a vampire, they still have the cyberware. repairing it is jsut a bitch.

Kid stealth was made to be known. Poeple hear Kid stealth's name and they know what is going down. bad shit. then you have Wolf... Who I can make in usig the rules, but i wouldn't want to.

Wolf and raven was made before shadowrun was made. So, if the characters don't fit the rules, it si the rules fault more than the story's.

Now, I could point out all the abd characters in other shadowrun novels that don't follow the rules, and are far more moronic than Kid Stealth. i could point out the bad writing in many of the novels, but as it happens I like Wolf, and raven. I enjoy Zig and Zag. Hell, I even like Val. I do not really like Kid Stealth, but I came across the story where it says something bad happened to him,and it doesn't say what happened to him. So no matter how bad stealth is, at least he is not as bad as Quick, his crew or talon and his crew. talon's Ork is basicly a gun with a body.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Jrayjoker @ Jun 13 2005, 08:13 AM)

Or who just obviously watched too much Jurassic Park.
Ol' Scratch
One in the rules if someone with cyberware become a vampire, they still have the cyberware.

Feel free to point to the rules. And note that by doing so, you'll be the first person to ever find them in the myriad discussions on the topic in the past.

Kid stealth was made to be known. Poeple hear Kid stealth's name and they know what is going down.

Yeah, everyone totally knows who Kid Stealth is, not to mention any other runner you want to pull out a novel. Yessir. In no way is your average citizen someone who just barely knows what a shadowrunner is ("they're those corporate espionage jerks like that Karl guy, right?"), no sir... they know them by name. And, as a result, it makes complete and total sense that the megacorporations are rolling brand-name implants off the manufacturing line, naming them after these totally famous runners (nevermind that the only famous runner is a poor runner) to sell to those very same individuals (as its a legal implant who's Availability of 6 is lower than many other implants that would be big in the civilian market).

Wolf and raven was made before shadowrun was made.

What are you smoking?
Ancient History
Technically speaking, most of the stories Wolf and Raven were published before Shadowrun was published. Mason's Notes

As for Kid Stealth...well, DV8 said it best.
Cain
Yeah, everyone totally knows who Kid Stealth is, not to mention any other runner you want to pull out a novel.

Actually, everyone knows who Dr. Raven is; Kid Stealth is just one of his crew. Dr. Raven's crew doesn't work a whole lot like the typical shadowrunners, anyway; they're more do-gooders for hire, and generally legal to boot. When you consider that Dr. Raven married a Tir princess, he's not exactly the most obscure fellow out there.

As for the "Kid Stealth" legs, please show me where in M&M it says that the legs are marketed by that name. It just says that's the common street monkier for them.
Ol' Scratch
As for the "Kid Stealth" legs, please show me where in M&M it says that the legs are marketed by that name. It just says that's the common street monkier for them.

I will just as soon as you show me in M&M where it says that's just the common street moniker for them. Not that either has anything to do with the fact that they're still widely available to the public.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (hermit)
The American novels had their high in the early books, then they rapidly deteriorated into comic-esque, unrealistic, bad-versus-good stories with flat characters and usually really stupid plots.

Interestingly, the first German novels were an insult to the trees that had to die for them, but the new ones are very nice reading indeed.

As for Kid Stealth ... well, it you imagine Shadowrun's cyborgs more like those in, say, Battle Angel Alita than how they turned out with SR3, Kid Stealth wouldn't have been such a looker as he now would be.

Basically, Cyberlegs should be possible to imitate any sort of leg, be it raptor, elephant, newt, or eastern dragon. Even caterpillars or wheels would be possible.

Also, what about a dwarf who decides to get a full-body conversion - to a troll body? Any rules for that? Nop, sadly not. Is it impossible in the game world, because of this? I would say no.

I seem to recall someone playing a dwarf character with troll-sized cyberlegs a while ago. She was nicknamed "Gazelle" because she was such an insanely fast runner, and insanely tall. (A six-foot-five dwarf is an odd thing indeed.) Of course, the runner had the silly things custom-made (most likely by an Adept with an effective skill of 14+ in Electronics), and they cost her a fortune, but you have to admit it would be pretty cool.
Ancient History
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
(A six-foot-five dwarf is an odd thing indeed.)

Unless you're name is Carrot and you're a Copper.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Jun 14 2005, 02:36 AM)
(A six-foot-five dwarf is an odd thing indeed.)

Unless you're name is Carrot and you're a Copper.

"Evening, Grabthroat Shin-kicker! Evening, Mr. Stronginthearm!"
Cain
I will just as soon as you show me in M&M where it says that's just the common street moniker for them. Not that either has anything to do with the fact that they're still widely available to the public.

Note that they're the only cyberware with quotation marks in the name. Do I really have to give you an English grammar lesson?

As to the second point, there's plenty of widely-availiable items that seem odd. "Kid Stealth" legs aren't that much weirder than a balance tail or an obvious cyberskull, for example. Obvious cyberskulls and cybertorsos are not only just as availiable, they're cheaper than "Kid Stealth" legs.
Grinder
Nearly every cyberware is cheaper than cyberlegs/-arms. That's because the rules suck in this case. smile.gif
Cynic project
One in the rules if someone with cyberware become a vampire, they still have the cyberware.

Feel free to point to the rules. And note that by doing so, you'll be the first person to ever find them in the myriad discussions on the topic in the past.

Kid stealth was made to be known. Poeple hear Kid stealth's name and they know what is going down.

Yeah, everyone totally knows who Kid Stealth is, not to mention any other runner you want to pull out a novel. Yessir. In no way is your average citizen someone who just barely knows what a shadowrunner is ("they're those corporate espionage jerks like that Karl guy, right?"), no sir... they know them by name. And, as a result, it makes complete and total sense that the megacorporations are rolling brand-name implants off the manufacturing line, naming them after these totally famous runners (nevermind that the only famous runner is a poor runner) to sell to those very same individuals (as its a legal implant who's Availability of 6 is lower than many other implants that would be big in the civilian market).

Wolf and raven was made before shadowrun was made.

What are you smoking?

Well, Let's get into small circile fame. Tell me have you heard of Gioia ,Slam or ladytron? They are rather famous, and yet i don't think you know who they are. Sure you could look them on google, but that is not the point. if you did not hear about these names form me,i don't think you would have ever heard of these names. Is that a bad thing, no. But it doesn't mean they don't have big names.

Kid Stealth could have a big enough for his legs, and in line of work that those who want his legs would know about him. After all not everyone is going to get them. Even those people who are willing to cut their own legs off to replace them with cyber legs, aren't always going to go all out. So we have a small group of people who can get these thing, and small group that want to. We are left with an even smaller group that can do both. But even with that out of the way, you have to remember that Kid Stealth was made before the "kid stealth" legs were made. The character wasn't thought up as a gimmick to add new cyberware tot he game. the cyberware was added to the game as gimmick because people thought the character was cool. Now Doc, you can whine and complain about how the flavor rules aren't prefect for this piece of cyberware, and i can point out how they placed the califonian central valley about 200 miles to far east. See, in your case you don't like the flavor, in my case they just couldn't be bothered with looking at a fucking map.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 13 2005, 11:26 PM)
Note that they're the only cyberware with quotation marks in the name.  Do I really have to give you an English grammar lesson?

Still waiting for you to show me where it says its just a street name in M&M. <whistles while he waits for the non-existant rules quotation>

As to the second point, there's plenty of widely-availiable items that seem odd.  "Kid Stealth" legs aren't that much weirder than a balance tail or an obvious cyberskull, for example.  Obvious cyberskulls and cybertorsos are not only just as availiable, they're cheaper than "Kid Stealth" legs.

Yes, and its largely ridiculous that most of those exist as well. Your point? Or are you going to continue on with your asinine "two wrongs DO make a right!!!" mentality here?
Demosthenes
QUOTE (Cynic project)
[Kid Stealth could have a big enough  for his legs, and in line of work that those who want his legs would know about him.

eek.gif
A big enough what for his legs?
Ol' Scratch
Well, Let's get into small circile fame. Tell me have you heard of Gioia ,Slam or ladytron? They are rather famous, and yet i don't think you know who they are. Sure you could look them on google, but that is not the point. if you did not hear about these names form me,i don't think you would have ever heard of these names. Is that a bad thing, no. But it doesn't mean they don't have big names.

We're talking about brand name merchandise here that's not limited to the shadows (since when do megacorporations mass-produce implants that would only be available to the itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny shadowrunner market, and then only to an itsy-bitsy-teeny-weeny miniscule portion of that ridiculously small group?). I'm not saying Kid Stealth isn't infamous within runner circles, I'm saying no runner is famous enough to have a custom-piece of widely-available cyberware branded after him (which is a problem with the implant in the first place -- that it *is* widely available and mass-produced). The fact that it's one of the ONLY implants in the entire game to have a brand name label just makes it that much more ridiculous.

The naming of it is just a small part of its stupidity.
nezumi
As to the second point, there's plenty of widely-availiable items that seem odd.  "Kid Stealth" legs aren't that much weirder than a balance tail or an obvious cyberskull, for example.  Obvious cyberskulls and cybertorsos are not only just as availiable, they're cheaper than "Kid Stealth" legs.

Yes, and its largely ridiculous that most of those exist as well. Your point? Or are you going to continue on with your asinine "two wrongs DO make a right!!!" mentality here?

Errr... Are you arguing against all obvious cyberware? Cybertorsos and cybertails are a staple of cyberpunk. Obvious, disfiguring chrome. If you don't like it, why are you playing Shadowrun?
Ol' Scratch
No, I'm not arguing against all obvious cyberware. Standard cyberlimbs, datajacks, and things of that nature are all perfectly plausible.

I'm arguing against implants that wouldn't exist because no one other than a niche shadowrunner with a suicide wish would buy it, thus there not being a market for it. Especially not a market that has such items being mass-produced and widely available for purchase. Hell, it's harder to find a Winnebago for sale than it is to find a pair of Kid Stealth legs or Balance Tail, and there's a place selling tons of RVs just down the road from me.

As a side note, I've never considered Shadowrun to be cyberpunk. It has some cyberpunk aspects, just like it has some fantasy aspects, some Cthulu-esque horror aspects, and some space opera aspects amongst many others... but it is its own genre in the end.

Basically, I'm arguing against bad writing. The game too often seems to forget that the world isn't inhabited solely by shadowrunners.
John Campbell
I suspect that both Kid Stealth legs and balance tails would be very popular amongst furries.

At least amongst the ones that weren't lucky enough to SURGE into their wet dreams. sarcastic.gif
nezumi
I categorize it under cyberpunk, so I don't feel there's any conflict. Style over substance, and all that. And I have no problem with one factory in Indonesia producing the worlds supply of kid stealth legs. Low demand, low production. Presumably, transport costs have decreased substantially.

If you want to make a justification for it, you can do that as well. There's a new, much cheaper type of prototyper just recently made available. If the technology progressed a bit far, to be able to automatically assemble the different parts, I don't see any problem with factories that don't have to create things to a single template. As soon as mass production isn't restricted to mass producing only one exact style and model of an item, outlandish things like kid stealth legs and cybertails become economically feasible, since the retooling process is effectively free, once you have the blueprint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012