Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fix this dragon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Eyeless Blond
One way to up the power of dracoforms is make them naval bodies instead of normal critters, and give 'em a Hull rating. I mean, they're big enough for that anyway, aren't they? smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Apathy)
Now that's a quotable quote.

I see how it could relate to the discussion on horrors (if it were slightly modified to address more than a part of one religion, such as by saying that "we torture each other to death on a whim" or whatever), but not so much with the dragons. The way they've been represented in the SR world, they basically are humans -- extremely powerful humans, mentally, physically and magically.

If people in the SR world are scared of dragons, it is (or should be) exactly because of that. Most of those "overgrown lizards" are just as willing to wage an NBC-war against the biosphere, except that they tend to have far more means towards that end than the average human. And, yeah, they are huge flying armored lizards, so trying to shoot them down with small arms should be a fucking stupid idea -- unlike in SR3 where a SMG APDS burst can easily kill an unboosted average dragon.

Of course humans have weapons quite capable of killing anything living a thousand times over, regardless of any defensive tech or magic or anything. But just because we got SAMs doesn't mean a GI shouldn't be wary of enemy air power on the battlefield.

QUOTE (Eyeless Blonde)
One way to up the power of dracoforms is make them naval bodies instead of normal critters, and give 'em a Hull rating. I mean, they're big enough for that anyway, aren't they?

They are, but then you have to drop them to Hull 2, 3 for the really big ones. Otherwise they'll be immune to everything non-Naval, which is hardly the purpose (ATGMs should still ruin their day, if you manage to hit them). Which sucks because it screws up a number of other scales -- for example, a Hull 2 dragon would basically be BOD 8 for spell targeting, not to mention how hard having 2 DamRes dice sucks.
Eyeless Blond
Oh I didn't mean completely follow the naval damage rules. Living creatures should be more capable of damage resistance than nonliving ships anyway. I just meant tack on a Hull rating to lower the power of all attacks *before* resisting things with the 8 points of hardened armor and 16 BOD. biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
I have been considering a change in ceratures so that ones above a certain size (rhino maybe? not sure) are treated as vehicles for computing attack power. I haven't actually tested it yet, but it would provide an alternate answer to that "punching an elephant to death" debate that showed up here somewhat recently. I haven't decided on a lot of factors (like if they should be immune to blunt trauma stun, or just use the damage reduction and double armor effect on everything), but it would make dragons (and juggernaughts) significantly more intimidating without the odd properties of a hull rating.
Austere Emancipator
In my medieval fantasy SR campaign, all critters are divided into size classes much like in That Other Game. Critters one size larger reduce Power by 1/3rd and DL by 1, 2 size classes reduce Power by half and DL by 2, 3 size classes reduce Power by 2/3rds and DL by 3, and 4 size classes (normal vs. colossal) reduces Power by 3/4ths and DL by 4. (Reverse those numbers for when a bigger critter attacks a smaller one.) If I ever play modern/future SR again, I'll probably simplify it and use the vehicle rules for critters above a certain size, just like you said.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm @ Jun 27 2005, 11:24 AM)
I have been considering a change in ceratures so that ones above a certain size (rhino maybe?  not sure) are treated as vehicles for computing attack power.  I haven't actually tested it yet, but it would provide an alternate answer to that "punching an elephant to death" debate that showed up here somewhat recently.  I haven't decided on a lot of factors (like if they should be immune to blunt trauma stun, or just use the damage reduction and double armor effect on everything), but it would make dragons (and juggernaughts) significantly more intimidating without the odd properties of a hull rating.

It would be easier just to give them hardened armor weighted toward Impact. Say 4/8 hardened armor. Only the stongest human in the world would be able to punch out an elephant and they would have a difficult time doing it. A Troll weightlifter woul dhave an easier time, but then they should. Holdout pistols wouldn't be effictive against them, either, but sporting rifles would still make their day.

Also, it wouldn't nerf called shots to bypass armor against big critters. Hitting a vehicles engine with a rifle should suffer from damage reduction just the same as every other shot. Shooting an elephant in the eye should not suffer from any damage reduction. Staging down a bullet through the eyeball and into the brain shouldn' be easy no matter how big you are.
tisoz
QUOTE (Apathy @ Jun 27 2005, 07:43 AM)
Along the same lines: Has anyone else re-written the dragon in Bottled Demon?

[ Spoiler ]

How did everybody else handle this?

I left it as written. Dragons do not need to be supreme beings, especially Geyswain who was arrogant, young, and foolish.

QUOTE (mmu1)
I hate dragons. Fucking hate them. Or, more precisely, the way most of humanity seems to have just rolled over as far as dragons are concerned in SR, and all the "oh, no, we can't do that, we'll make the dragons mad" crap.

We were ready to nuke the better part of the planet for 40 years, just over competing human ideologies, and suddenly, we're sensibly scared of a bunch of overgrown lizards?

I totally agree, however, it seems to be an unfashionable stance around here.

In my alternate setting, dragons were destroyed upon awakening, the few that initially survived after awakening wreaked havok upon the earth as they were hunted. Any that survived went into hiding. The dragon war was just another catastrophe that set the world back a bit. Dragons are more despised than vampires - at least vampires look/were human.
FrostyNSO
Ghostwalker just so pisses me off. Ok, Aden demolishes Tehran, sure, they were prolly fighting him with old soviet equipment.

Ghostwalker takes over Denver? "Sure, take it. We didn't want that city anyways!"
toturi
Ghostwalker taking over Denver, that I can swallow. He kept the place on a low boil with his low intensity warfare attacks and cut deals behind the scenes. He probably called in a lot of favors, leveraged off inter-faction rivalry and promised a lot of stuff, but the coup was political rather than Aden-military.

What I can't swallow is the fact that sometimes GMs cannot understand that just because a dragon has impressive stats does not mean that it is invincible. And that no matter how impressive the stats are, there is alway a chance of the PCs winning, just like any other critter. If you want an Ultimate NPC, make it so and make it known to the players OOC.
hyzmarca
Even ultimate NPCs should be killable one way or another - Even if it requires a cheesy plot device set to bad 80's music.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Even ultimate NPCs should be killable one way or another - Even if it requires a cheesy plot device set to bad 80's music.

Ok, my love of bad 80's music and cheesy plot devices leads me to ask which one you had in mind?
Apathy
Dragons do not need to be supreme beings, especially Geyswain who was arrogant, young, and foolish.

My problem wasn't that Geyswain wasn't strong enough; it was that facing a dragon with a force 10 power focus and a half-dozen high-force toxic spirits in an area with a high toxic background count would have resulted in most or all of my PCs dying quickly. I didn't want to keep him as a dragon with attributes that were even wimpier than what he already had, so I decided he wasn't really a dragon after all, just an insane drake who thought he could become a dragon with the aid of the bottled demon.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Jun 28 2005, 12:52 AM)
Even ultimate NPCs should be killable one way or another -  Even if it requires a cheesy plot device set to bad 80's music.

Ok, my love of bad 80's music and cheesy plot devices leads me to ask which one you had in mind?

hehe, I was thinking something like the Transformers Movie from back in the day. biggrin.gif

As for Geyswain, I'm starting that one with a different set of runners acutally. I planned on keeping him pretty much the same, just changing his spell list a bit. He's supposed to be pretty messed up, so I was acutally thinking of lowering his armor a bit, or starting him with mounds, but some sort of pain resistance as well, since he's maddened now.
hyzmarca
I was also thinking of Transformers : The Movie.

If a cheesy plot device can kill Unicron, then certainly one could kill a GD or an IE.
fistandantilus4.0
awesome....

so....cheesy plot device.....would that be like a low end, out of date Cyberdeck that can break down the code of an AI? biggrin.gif I like the kill code source though. (don't know how to use 'spoiler' box. sad)
Dissonance
What if the dragon is an adept, too?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Dissonance @ Jun 28 2005, 10:56 AM)

An Ork Shaman, an elf Mage, and a dwarf magician adept are sitting at a bar.

Dwarf: So there I was, sourounded by Knight Errant officers and no way out. So I called up a force 10 Great Form Fire Elemental that I had summoned and channeled it. I ust have killed 10 of them with my bare hands before I made my escape.

Elf: That's nothing. I almost channeled a Free Spirit once.

Dwarf: Almost doesn't count.

Ork: I channeled my totem once, for about 12 seconds. I'm still not sure how I did it. I was cut off from the rest of my team, surrounded by tanks and soldiers, and there was this dragon.

The Dragon spewed fire at me, but this old amulet that I stole from a museum the month before and wore because I though it was cool started glowing and the fire didn't even touch my.

The Dragon tried again. This time the amulet exploded.

I could feel my totem around me and inside me. I could feel its essence flowing through me, imbueing every cell in my body with supernatural power.

The Dragon took a swipe at me with its claws but I just picked it up and threw it into the volcano. Then it flew out of the volcano.

I though it would be easier if the dragon would just explode. It did.

Then the tanks and the soldiers started shooting at me. I just laughed. All of the tanks exploded and all of the soldiers exploded. Then, the volcano exploded.

I woke up in a Ukrainian hospital seven months later. I have no idea how I got there but I thank Toaster every day that I am alive.

Hey, chummer, another round of beer for everyone.

Bartender: I'm sorry sir, but I think you've had enough for this lifetime.

--------

That is what happens if the draogn is an adept.
fistandantilus4.0
ok, changing my gargoyle shaman to a follower of toaster if it let's me blow up tanks! biggrin.gif

Looking over Bottled demon again, Geyswain is actually pretty respectable, with a sorcery of 9, and most of his spells ranging in force of an average of 8-10
That's a little more like it. The inconsitency of course is that he's suppsoed to be a young, arrogant, and rather inexperienced dragon, where Naheka is supposed to be growing as a power in his own right, and learning some tricks of higher magic from Ryumyo.

Arleesh is a little more on the ball with a sorcery of 15 . Not too shabby that. She also has an unarmed combat of 8. I would ask if that's acceptable to use for her claws, but her reaction is 10, so there's not point in her case. But what about using unarmed combat for dragon melee?

BTW, as for time of appearance/ awakening of Arleesh, pg 49 - Bottled Demon

Arleesh is a Greath Feathered Sperpent. She has only been awake for the past ten months, making her feel a bit out of things.

Bottled Demon takes place (as written at least) in 2050.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
ok, changing my gargoyle shaman to a follower of toaster if it let's me blow up tanks! biggrin.gif

I was thinking more of the magical amulet that lets you channel your totem as a cheesy plot device insted of something that was linked to Toaster specificly.
fistandantilus4.0
nah, that'd never work. Imagine channeling gargoyle! I'd never get a date again! At least with Toaster, I could make them breakfast in the morning!

(oh, wait, forgot that I SURGED and kinda look like a gargoyle now........ Thank gargoyle for sustaining foci!)
toturi
QUOTE (Dissonance)

Dragons might have Magical Skills as part of their Powers. But guess what? Magical Skills do not include Adept powers (Critters) and dragons do not get access to Adept only Metamagics (DOTSW).
Mortax
QUOTE (nick012000)
Actually, on average, a customized High Velicity assault rifle (but not an Ares HVAR) loaded with APDS and with enough recoil comp will kill a Great Dragon with a single 18-round burst.

A great?

Player: Hahaha! direct hit 8 successes!
GM: Dragon uses a karma, reroll your successes.
Player: Crap (rolls) 3 successes.

Not to mention uber centering skills, spells at insane levels....
This discusion has been had before.

As to dragons, I usually assum that any stats provided in books are too low. smile.gif

And I don't care if it has an int of 6, if it has been around for a few millenia, I'd expect it to know how to set a trap or 20 and be able to survive well enough.

Just my .02 nuyen.gif , though.
toturi
QUOTE (Mortax @ Jul 5 2005, 02:41 PM)
As to dragons, I usually assum that any stats provided in books are too low. smile.gif

Well, since you are not running things by the books, then maybe you should assume any stats provided to the PCs are too low as well. After all, after a couple of million years of evolution, init 6 is too low for any human.
Mortax
I was more refering to the 5000 year old dragon having conjuring ir sorcery lower than most of my pcs. I'm talking about known dragons specific sats, not racial modifieres. Also, we a re discussing dragons, If they are greats they are supposed to be plot devices more than anything.

Well, since you are not running things by the books, then maybe you should assume any stats provided to the PCs are too low as well. After all, after a couple of million years of evolution, init 6 is too low for any human.

Though I can apreciate the sarcasm, I'm not going by the archetype stats. That is a bit different than throwing out the rulebook.
Wireknight
QUOTE (nick012000)
Actually, on average, a customized High Velicity assault rifle (but not an Ares HVAR) loaded with APDS and with enough recoil comp will kill a Great Dragon with a single 18-round burst.

Eh, as long as you're going through the effort to compensate for 18 points of recoil (which means a ton of effort and gear) you're better off going with something with a bit more substance, like a HV-modified HMG with power increase.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012