Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Players modifying their environement
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Backgammon
This is inspired by another thread, where, in response to how to handle a fight with glare modifier from ill-positionned street lamps, a poster said to get in cover, then shoot out the lights.

Honestly, I can't recall a single time where my players would have done that. Instead of soaking the modifier, try to change your environnement.

Shoot out light bulbs, create light by shooting boarded windows, move furniture or crates to make cover, start a fire, etc.

How often do your players (or yourself, if you are a player) do this?
Panzergeist
The shape earth spell is my friend.
Trax
I change my environment with High Explosives. I once chucked a couple grenades into a crowded room and it was covered entirely with chunky salsa.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Trax)
I change my environment with High Explosives. I once chucked a couple grenades into a crowded room and it was covered entirely with chunky salsa.

lol, truely quotable!
Angelone
I'm pretty sure we drive our gm to destraction trying to keep up with all the stuff we do. Turning over tables, pushing carts, breaking things to make melee weapons, and that's just in a barfight.
blakkie
Sometimes that. Sometimes using the environment as the weapon. For example an opponent standing in vicinity of compressed gas cylinders? Shoot the cylinder to rupture it. You do need to be careful about how close you are. If you only snap off the valve at the top it doesn't nessarily frag, it could instead become like an untied ballon that you let go. Strong propulsion with no guidance.

Also if it happens to be an acetalyne or propane cylinder you better hope the GM isn't too generous on sizing the blast radius. extinguish.gif

P.S. For future info i would have liked to see an option between often and once or twice, an "occationally" would have been my best fit. No biggie though.
Trax
QUOTE (blakkie @ Jun 23 2005, 06:15 PM)
Also if it happens to be an acetalyne or propane cylinder you better hope the GM isn't too generous on sizing the blast radius.

Dr. Nick: Inflammable means flammable? What a country!
nezumi
Discounting the craters they leave, they seem to usually use the cover given without trying to move it around too much (except for the decker who seems to be only too aware that bullets hurt.)
Jrayjoker
Really, since when? I haven't played anything but a troll since 1994.
mmu1
I very rarely do this sort of thing, for one reason: It's almost always less effective than just moving to a better position while returning fire. (obviously, there are exceptions, but I find them to be very rare)

Alothough when expecting heavy-duty fighting, and when we're in the right setting, our team breaks out the Shield Drone, which is basically partial cover on wheels (or tracks, as it might be), so I guess some of the time we do "modify the environment". We're just too high tech to tip tables over. wink.gif
Nyxll
Also if it happens to be an acetalyne or propane cylinder you better hope the GM isn't too generous on sizing the blast radius. extinguish.gif

I love how TV fallacy has warped our sense of what really happens.

first of all, a cylendar of acelaine will have a bullet rating of at least 10, you can shoot it and the bullet from a 9mm and the bullet will vapourize. If you shoot the valve, you will just send the cannister careening around the area, and very high and dangerous speeds. You would need a spark to set off the gas "after" it is escaping from the cylendar.

I did have a character once, take out a truck by knocking the valves off a cannister of compressed gas, causing the cannister to blow through the side. I gave it a 20D rating.

Myth 1, if you shoot a barrel of gas, or jerry can, it blows up.
Myth 2, you can take cover behind a car door because it will stop a bullet.
Myth 3, lead bullets create sparks when they hit metal.

As for altering environments, any smart group will take advantage of whatever they can,u sing flares, shooting out lights, rolling cars, sewer covers as shields.
Kagetenshi
You can take cover behind a car door. It won't stop a bullet, but it's better than no cover and may introduce uncertainty as to where exactly parts of your body are. Moreover, if the car is an armored Runnermobile…
Alothough when expecting heavy-duty fighting, and in the right setting, our team breaks out the Shield Drone, which is basically partial cover on wheels (or tracks, as it might be), so I guess some of the time we do "modify the environment". We're just oo high tech to tip tables over. wink.gif

There was also that time when we were preparing a vehicle ambush so we went out and bought a few truckloads of Jersey barriers, sheet metal, and plywood to stack around in a maze in the parking lot, but that's more creating the environment from whole cloth than modifying it.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Jun 24 2005, 08:48 AM)
Myth 3, lead bullets create sparks when they hit metal.

No they don't, but if the canister is constructed of a ferrous metal or there is some sort of metal components or loose stones in the area there can be plenty of sparks. There are also often other sources of ignition such as if someone fires a weapon, someone smoking, incandesent lightbulbs breaking, eletrical motors or other electrical equipment that isn't seald to be explosion proof, running combustion engines, etc.

EDIT: Theoretically the pressure that a slug creates when squeezing a flammable liquid between itself and a hard surface could create enough heat to ignite. This is how diesel engines ingite their fuel, they have no spark plugs. How likely this is to occur and what kind of conditions you need for it i couldn't say. The diesel engine has the benefit of compressing the fuel while it is mixed with oxygen in an engineered environment. If there is no oxygen present during the pressure then no ignition.

When a highpressure underground natural gas pipe blows it usually ignites the gas. Even out in the middle of the woods. Why? A spark from all the metal and gravel flying around.

P.S. Not all slugs are lead. smile.gif
ShadowDragon8685
If you're on the low-end of the spectrum and need a bulletproof barrier, you cannot go wrong with sandbags. They seriously will stop pretty much every form of small arms fire. Ordinary car doors are concealment, not cover, as are ordinary tables.

However, if you are low on cash, you can't go wrong with lining a truck's bed and the sides of the bed with sandbags. Or just the side, if you think you need sure footing in the back of the truck.

Just a tangent, because of the armored Runnermobile quote.
mmu1
QUOTE (Nyxll)
As for altering environments, any smart group will take advantage of whatever they can,u sing flares, shooting out lights, rolling cars, sewer covers as shields.

See, this is what I was talking about... How long does it take to roll over a car, or pry up a manhole cover without tools? (And who are these characters that are strong enough to roll over a car or handle a 100+ lbs chunk of steel as a shield?)

Instead of wasting time on that sort of thing, just take an action to run for the nearest corner or doorway while shooting - you'll have better cover, and any lucky shots that hit and do damage are just gravy.
blakkie
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
However, if you are low on cash, you can't go wrong with lining a truck's bed and the sides of the bed with sandbags. Or just the side, if you think you need sure footing in the back of the truck.

One thing to keep in mind though is the huge amount of weight that this can involve. Dry sand weighs close to 2000kg/m3, or about 120lb. per cubic foot. Line a light-duty civilian truck box with sand bags and the wheels are likely close to touching the fender walls, and performance and gas mileage will suck.

Still a cheap portable foxhole, just don't expect to go rally driving with it.
ShadowDragon8685
Sand is free, after all, and I imagine the bags don't cost that much. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Jun 24 2005, 08:48 AM)
first of all, a cylendar of acelaine will have a bullet rating of at least 10, you can shoot it and the bullet from a 9mm and the bullet will vapourize.

I do agree on this whole heartedly. The barrier ratings on the walls of those cylinders, especially the acetalyne and oxygen ones, are going to be fairly high. Also due to the roundness they'd have a fairly small target to hit to keep even rifle slugs from just deflecting to the side.

If you shoot the valve, you will just send the cannister careening around the area, and very high and dangerous speeds.

As a side note once apon a time some very foolish engineering students at a local universty near where i grew up decided to improvise their own bottle rocket using a compressed gas cylinder. My understanding is they used a standard 3000 psi cylinder, likely compressed air since there was no ensuing deaths or explosions. smile.gif

They set it up pointing across a local river at a point where it was maybe 200m to 300m wide. They then somehow broke the valve assembly off. Suppositly with the back side of an axehead. Given they were engineering students that means they were either very drunk (quite possible) or they actually rigged up something mechanical to fall and break it off while they watched from a somewhat safer distance.

Not sure if they had affixed guiding fins to it or anything to keep it mostly going straight, but the cylinder was found embedded in the soil of the bank on the far side of the river. This was well over 15 year ago so i can't give you a news link or anything.
ShadowDragon8685
For when you absoloutely, positively MUST rig your own rocket launcher. smile.gif
Jrayjoker
All you need now is about 15 feet of heavy PVC piping of the correct diameter and you have a very effective seige engine.
ShadowDragon8685
Best if you rifle that piping, or saw it into a half-pipe and attach fins somehow. I'd go with the rifling.
Kagetenshi
Just attach four fins and then cut slots in the piping to fit the fins.

~J
Jrayjoker
I like the randomness of it all. If I am scared where it may land you shoud be scared sh!713$$.
Vaevictis
Pretty often. My favorite was during a cross-borders run. We were being pursued by a megacorp elite team; we let slip information that we would be crossing the border at a checkpoint at a certain time of day.

We crossed at a different location a ahead of schedule, worked back to the point where we were expected to cross... we had a mage physical mask a FAST sammy in the corp's uniform, and engage a patrol. The sammy made sure he was "made" by the patrol, and got the hell out of dodge.

Our astral mage watched as the corp team tried to make the crossing at the check point a little bit ahead of our expected schedule -- obviously, they were going to try and ambush us -- and we enjoyed it immensely when the heavily armed checkpoint guard tore them a new one.

Mmm, using your environment is awesome. And yes, locals are "environment" wink.gif
ShadowDragon8685
Vaev: Bravo.

Kagentoshi: How? Then you have four sections of pipe. Or do you mean not cut it all the way down?

I still think rifling the pipe would be easier. Just involve a couple of cleverly placed Dremel tools on a stick.
blakkie
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jun 24 2005, 12:13 PM)
Kagentoshi: How? Then you have four sections of pipe. Or do you mean not cut it all the way down?

I still think rifling the pipe would be easier. Just involve a couple of cleverly placed Dremel tools on a stick.

For cutting fin slots you'd have to have a frame structure on the outside holding the quarter pipes in place.

You could have pop-out fins that are folded down inside the tube and that swing into place as they exit. There are modern tube launched weapons that do that.

The problem with rifling is that in a firearm the rifling actually deforms the slug slighty to put the groves into in and get traction. That is a lot of drag, and unless the rear of the tube is sealed you are going to lose a lot of push. If it is sealed you are going to need something stronger than PVC for the barrel. Also these cylinders are not as soft as a typical slug, certainly nothing PVC will push into. So you'd have to figure out something else to give the tube traction on the cylinder to put it into rotation.
hobgoblin
what one could do was to put on small fins that made the whole thing rotate. made the right way and they should not take up much more space then the rocket itself. that is, if you make the rocket a bit more narrow at the back then at the front...
ShadowDragon8685
Since we're talking about using compressed air cylanders as our solid projectiles, that's exactly what we plan to do. Still, I can't see those kinds of fins being useful.

Maybe it would be easiest to just get a whole bunch of the cylanders and the PVC and rely on volume to do your damage.
DocMortand
Is it me, or is this beginning to sound like an episode of the A-Team? smile.gif

Creating rocket launchers out of compressed air, rolling cars for shields...I can just hear Mr. T going "I pity da fool that gets in mah way!"
Method
QUOTE (Nyxll)

first of all, a cylendar of acelaine will have a bullet rating of at least 10, you can shoot it and the bullet from a 9mm and the bullet will vapourize. If you shoot the valve, you will just send the cannister careening around the area, and very high and dangerous speeds. You would need a spark to set off the gas "after" it is escaping from the cylendar.

Funny RL story... a friend and player of mine recently shot a used oxygen canister (the kind old people tote around) with his M-4 thinking that it was either empty or had been shot before (we were at a busy shooting area where idiots [like ourselves] often dump random shit to shoot at).

Before carefully considering what kind of ill shit might ensue, my friend shot the thing dead on. It exploded into a huge orange fireball with a white hot aura (the oxyen escaping) and disappeared. Or so we thought. It had actaully be launched air borne about 200m and landed about 5 seconds later ~150m away from where it had started (back and to the right of his position). Upon further examination it seems the particular idiots who had dumped it HAD shot it repeatedly with pistols and shotguns, but gave up out of boredom before they had quite ruptured the thing's shell.

The moral of the story: gas canisters ARE dangerous in RL, you just need an AR to light them up.

And a spark may not be nessisary. If you look at the ideal gas law (PV=nRT) its possible that rapid and extreme changes in pressure and/or volume could release enough thermal energy to ignite a highly flamible gas (like 02) spontaneously.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Not cutting all the way down. Leaving a length of solid pipe behind the fins.

~J
FrostyNSO
Having folded fins that pop outwards as it leaves the tube would be the best way to introduce rotation. There is a reason they don't rifle missile launchers.

Also, anyone who has shot FMJ at steel during night, knows it does throw quite a bit of sparks.
ShadowDragon8685
Yes, but frosty, you have to remember, we're not the US Army here. WE don't have the resources for popout fins.

We're using PVC pipe as our launchers, and cylanders of compressed air as our missiles.
Edward
Cutting slots for fins won’t work well. Even leaving a good section at the bottom eth ¼ pipe is not very ridged and will droop apart, your going to need brackets that attach to each ¼ pipe and hold them in position without fouling the wings, this will look funny at the least. Also with this design you now make the weapon muzzle loading (no bigy) and loose easy access to the valve (you can use a custom very long stork valve to sole that).

One possibility would be to attach the fins behind the cylinder without exceeding its diameter; again you need the long valve or some other way to open it catastrophically without harming the ins an accuracy will be sower between full fins and no fins.

Edward
ShadowDragon8685
I'd just as soon use a high volume of unguided rockets from ordinary PVC pipes. You'd need to oil the tube, I suspect, as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012