Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who wants a Body Armor?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JesterX
Très Shadowrun:

http://www.usabodyarmor.com/

Is it a hoax?!
Austere Emancipator
Why would this be a hoax? Flexible armored vests "camouflaged" as suit vests, jackets, whatever, are quite common. Here's the actual homepage of the firm making the EnGarde armor on the site you linked. Also check out Ballistic Clothing at BulletProofMe.Com.
DrJest
My Google-fu is weak - can anyone point me at a resource desribing the legality of body armour in the UK currently? Someone reading over my shoulder told me this stuff is illegal in Britain.
Diesel
Doesn't look like it. You can buy body armor all over the place.

Diesel
Huh. Post, then get sandwich next time.

*sighs at his slowness*

Foreigner
I sincerely hope that the photograph on that page is merely an advertising gimmick, i.e., for display purposes only.

Otherwise, the company logo on the dress vest's upper left chest/shoulder area is a dead giveaway--literally, if a kidnapper/assailant spots it.

eek.gif

--Foreigner
Herald of Verjigorm
But just imagine the market for unarmored vests with that same logo. All the psychological defense, none of the heavy materials.
Austere Emancipator
Foreigner: It looks like the logo can easily be taken off.
Foreigner
A.E.:

You're right.

It appears that the patch may be attached with Velcro rather than sewn on.

Evidently, I didn't look closely enough the first time.

--Foreigner
Johnnycache
I thought it was more for wearing with a jacket anyway - like to give a speech. If it's class III or better, it wouldn't fool anybody for long up close . . . concealment 8 biggrin.gif
Arethusa
Who the hell wears vests these days, anyway? Might as well sell armored bow ties and bowler hats while they're at it.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Johnnycache)
If it's class III or better, it wouldn't fool anybody for long up close [...]

If it were level III (which it isn't), it wouldn't fool anybody for a second at long distances if you have to move around even a bit. A 10" x 12", 1" thick rectangle resting at your center mass is hardly inconspicuous -- even less so when you'd have to pick up a separate carrier like these.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (DrJest)
My Google-fu is weak - can anyone point me at a resource desribing the legality of body armour in the UK currently? Someone reading over my shoulder told me this stuff is illegal in Britain.

That makes me throw up a little in my mouth. frown.gif

ShadowDragon8685
I'm pretty sure I could hide anything up to and including their Cougar vest under my leather greatcoat. smile.gif

Hey, that would be armor stacking, woulden't it? P)
Austere Emancipator
If you're a really big guy, your coat has a massive collar, and you have a habit of standing, walking, and doing everything else without bending your torso at all, then you might fool someone for a moment.
DrJest
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (DrJest @ Jun 25 2005, 01:34 PM)

? I don't get it.
Arethusa
Many (Americans, mostly, but hardly all) find the removal of the right to arms repugnant. To deny people the right to wear armor, which is purely defensive, is a koo koo crizazy level of stupidity thrown on top, which seems to be where he's coming from.

Before this thread derails into a political discussion on the right to arms, self defense, and fascist governmental policies, don't. If you want to discuss that stuff, badger Adam to bring back the lounge and end his reign of tyranny (viva la revolucion, etc).

On topic, I still don't understand how they expect the vest styled vest to fool anyone.
Austere Emancipator
Nicely done with the "Here's what I think about a subject, but you aren't allowed to say what you think cause it's off-topic"-routine. It might be aggravating (regardless of how I personally feel about the subject) if it weren't so common.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I still don't understand how they expect the vest styled vest to fool anyone.

Suit vests aren't quite as common these days as they once were, but they're far from a rarity. VIPs (who that vest is meant for) might well wear one just because they happen to like wearing them with suits. And the average member of the social circles where such vests are used is hardly going to suspect it's an armored vests -- at most he might think it's not very stylish.
blakkie
QUOTE (Arethusa)
On topic, I still don't understand how they expect the vest styled vest to fool anyone.

Fool? Or just not be so damn obvious.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Nicely done with the "Here's what I think about a subject, but you aren't allowed to say what you think cause it's off-topic"-routine. It might be aggravating (regardless of how I personally feel about the subject) if it weren't so common.

The bit about the right to arms happens to line up more or less with my personal opinions, but I was not injecting it just for the fun of expressing my opinion while suppressing all dissent. I'll admit I was editorializing on the bit about armor, but that's because it really is insane to make purely defensive measure illegal. So nyah.

Seriously, I just want to avoid getting yet another thread closed because it derailed into talking about the right to arms. It happens enough here, and it'd be nice if it could happen less (possibly with an OT forum).

Suit vests aren't quite as common these days as they once were, but they're far from a rarity. VIPs (who that vest is meant for) might well wear one just because they happen to like wearing them with suits. And the average member of the social circles where such vests are used is hardly going to suspect it's an armored vests -- at most he might think it's not very stylish.

That's a tough one to call. It doesn't look anything like a real piece of clothing, and I think most people who anything about clothes will notice that. The average exec isn't likely to know lots about body armor and small arms, though, so that one can go a lot of different ways.

It is very obvious, however, that something's up. Also, I would go so far as to call suit vests a rarity; not a complete anachronism like a bowler or a 19th century style collar, but even so.
Kagetenshi
Armor is incredibly far from purely defensive. I'd go so far as to say that its offensive possibilities are quite possibly richer than its defensive possibilities (in terms of allowing greater freedom of movement, etc.).

Note: this is not a comment on the correctness or incorrectness of banning it, or anything else along those lines, just a criticism of your reasoning coming to one of those opinions.

~J
Arethusa
I'm really not clear on how you're planning on hurting people with armor, but I guess I'm curious?
Herald of Verjigorm
If a home intruder has a knife, and you have a .22 pistol, your chances of success are much better if the intruder is unarmored.

Offense and defense provide options. Without any tools for either, your options in combat are limited to getting the potentially dangerous parts of your body at the potentially weak parts of the opponent and usually trying to stop your opponent from doing the same to you. Weapons add new ways to make an attack work, and armor makes counterattacks potentially less dangerous.
Arethusa
Yeah, and if you're packing JHP rounds in your pistol, your chances of getting full expansion are a lot better if your opponent is naked.

Armor is still purely protective. Just because it can be used on the assault doesn't make it at all offensive. If I'm making an assault in unfamiliar, close quarters urban territory, chances are I'll be moving fast and may stand a good chance of smacking my head into something. Would you call a Pro Tec hockey helmet offensive just because it's useful on an assault?
Foreigner
QUOTE (Arethusa)
...Would you call a Pro Tec hockey helmet offensive just because it's useful on an assault?

Arethusa:

Only if your opponent got close enough for you to head-butt him/her. wink.gif

--Foreigner
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Also, I would go so far as to call suit vests a rarity; not a complete anachronism like a bowler or a 19th century style collar, but even so.

I can only speak for what people wear here, but I certainly see 3-piece suits often enough not to call them rarities.

I guess the real question is, does it make the armor less obvious than if you were wearing a standard concealable vest under your suit shirt? And can you think of a way to hide body armor better in an occasion that calls for a suit?
Arethusa
Best way I can imagine is a vest under a shirt and never unbuttoning your jacket (two button, minimum). So, far from good or comfortable with current body armor, but honestly, it's less obvious than that vest. The suit vest's a creative attempt, but body armor technology just isn't there yet.
Herald of Verjigorm
Whether you consider armor to be offensive or defensive is completely irrelevant. It is another aspect that can change the outcome of a conlict, and some people will want to legislate it. Of course, some people will want to legislate everything, so that doesn't mean much.

One argument used by the anti-armor politicians: If a criminal can easily get ahold of body armor, it may then take more effort to disable the criminal and more police and civilians can be harmed in the process.
Or if that's not enough to grasp why some will restrict it, a rough translation of a French argument against an anti-missile-missile system: If you have defenses, it will just make your enemies fire more weapons at you.

Whether right or wrong, these arguments will get followers, and some will actually get instated as laws.
Arethusa
It's not like I don't understand all that. I was specifically responding to Kagetenshi's comment on armor possessing more offensive value than defensive, which I still really don't get.
Vaevictis
I think what Kagetenshi is gettting at there is that the defensive capabilities of the armor give you additional tactics that you can use in a combat situation.

To take the example to an extreme, if you are in a tank, well, charging that machine-gun emplacement doesn't seem so crazy anymore, does it? Or, if you're wielding sword and shield, you block the opponent's attack with the shield, and come up under it to stab them in the gut.

On a smaller scale, personal body armor is the same. If they have a weapon that you know will be stopped by the armor, you don't have to worry quite as much about getting hit, which means you have more tactical options available to you. I'd give examples fo this, but I really wouldn't know what they are in a case like this. Dunno about you, but I'd avoid getting shot even if I was wearing body armor -- they're a chance they'll hit an unprotected area, and it still f'in hurts to take that much kinetic energy in the gut.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (DrJest @ Jun 26 2005, 12:29 PM)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Jun 26 2005, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (DrJest @ Jun 25 2005, 01:34 PM)

? I don't get it.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Many (Americans, mostly, but hardly all) find the removal of the right to arms repugnant.  To deny people the right to wear armor, which is purely defensive, is a koo koo crizazy level of stupidity thrown on top, which seems to be where he's coming from.

Before this thread derails into a political discussion on the right to arms, self defense, and fascist governmental policies, don't.  If you want to discuss that stuff, badger Adam to bring back the lounge and end his reign of tyranny (viva la revolucion, etc).

+

++

I know you guys put that to bed, but I just had to make my nods. <3
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
a rough translation of a French argument against an anti-missile-missile system: If you have defenses, it will just make your enemies fire more weapons at you.
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
That makes me throw up a little in my mouth.  frown.gif

Butto be less off topic than I usually stray, I think this is a fascinating discussion of sociopolitics, and I think the more we better our understanding of such things, the better grasp we have of how the sheeple will flock in game. <3
Qillin
Just my opinion but I wouldn't think it would take much more firepower to take down someone with a vest or someone naked. Taking them in the vest hurt people a lot it stuns them and even knocks people out. It’s all the matter of the vest will save your life if you are shot in it. But that you are still not going to last much longer if the people shooting at you walk up to you and shoot you in the head or handcuff you.
sidartha
I have three words for you then;
North. Hollywood. Shootout.
Click Me
Austere Emancipator
Anybody got statistics on how often people hit in flexible armored vests by handguns are disabled by the blunt trauma? Is it even the majority that are knocked down?

QUOTE (Qillin)
I wouldn't think it would take much more firepower to take down someone with a vest or someone naked.

Don't know what you mean by "much more firepower", but you certainly do need more, or more accurately placed firepower. If someone is wearing a level III-A vest, the likelihood of disabling them with a 9x19mm pistol JHP fired at the torso is going to be in the same order of magnitude as a shooting a .22 at a naked torso. I find it immensely unlikely that blunt trauma similar to being hit in the torso with an extendable baton is as effective in disabling a target as crushing a hole through them.

sidartha: A nice example of body armor in action, if a tad extreme...
TheOneRonin
QUOTE (Qillin)
Just my opinion but I wouldn't think it would take much more firepower to take down someone with a vest or someone naked. Taking them in the vest hurt people a lot it stuns them and even knocks people out. It’s all the matter of the vest will save your life if you are shot in it. But that you are still not going to last much longer if the people shooting at you walk up to you and shoot you in the head or handcuff you.

That all depends on the professional level/experience of the person being shot, and what they are shot with. Just look at the North Hollywood shootout that happened several years ago. Those bankrobbers had on what...NIJ Level IV protection? They were hit MANY times and barely flinched. I would say that someone wearing a vest who's been shot before in combat will know what to expect and can fight on.

Sure, that overweight executive desk-jockey will probably go zero-to-fetal when he takes his first 9mm FMJ to the vest, but you can bet his bodyguard won't.

I've got some friends in Iraq that have told me some stories about getting hit by enemy fire during an engagement and not even realizing it until after the fight is over.

The way I handle this, in game, is to give NPC professional ratings. Your non-combat NPCs will usually collapse at a light wound, while your hardened FRT member will keep fighting probably all the way up to one block before a deadly wound.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)
Those bankrobbers had on what...NIJ Level IV protection?

Probably closer to level III. It was just several layers of flexible armor, wasn't it? You'd need a whole lot of kevlar to stop an armor piercing .30-06. I haven't seen any actual footage, though, so I wouldn't know. Anybody know how they were eventually killed?

Normally level III and IV include rigid armor plates, which basically eliminate the blunt trauma. In the heat of battle, a hit at level III armor could easily go unnoticed.
sidartha
The cops were forced to raid a local gun store and upgrade to hunting rifles.
All they had in the squad cars were riot shotguns, after looting .207's 308's and the venerable 30-06 they mortally wounded the bank robbers.
Note, mortally wounded, not immediately killed. One robber would have survived had he received medical attention. As it was, he bled to death while the medics tended the wounded police and civilians
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (sidartha @ Jun 27 2005, 06:29 PM)
I have three words for you then;
North.  Hollywood.  Shootout.
Click Me

Good citation, it's one I've used in presentations in CJS classes, but I gotta say, I feel like there's a fine line between a kevlar vest or liner and the kind of gear those guys had.

For the sake of discussion;
What about that disenfranchised dude who welded metal plates to a piece of construction equipment and went on a rampage? (was that in colorado or something?) Do we (or does a restrictive government in the not so distant SR future) ban or severely restrict construction equipment, welding equipment, or big steel plates? Slippery slope! frown.gif

Probably not, those things aren't designed specifically to prevent damage from a physical conflict/confrontation, whereas a kevlar vest is designed for that. Thusly the contruction equipment has an appropriate time and place and can other wise be misused. Just like how spray paints or spray whipped cream can be used to get high. Can not kevlar vests also have an appropriate time and place, but also be misused? Like the newspaper delivery boy who works in a bad neighborhood? Or someone who works alone in a liquor store?
Kagetenshi
The coca leaf and extracts thereof can also be used for beneficial things as well as what are generally considered baneful things. It's all a matter of where you draw the line, and if you've got a line at all you must accept the existence of reasons for other places for the line, even if you may not agree with them.

If you don't have a line, carry on.

~J
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The coca leaf and extracts thereof can also be used for beneficial things as well as what are generally considered baneful things. It's all a matter of where you draw the line, and if you've got a line at all you must accept the existence of reasons for other places for the line, even if you may not agree with them.

If you don't have a line, carry on.

~J

True enough. I'm of the types who thinks the government should be as out of the way as possible. As long as exercise of our free will doesn't prevent or harm another person while excerising their free will, or end up costing someone tax dollars... well, you get the idea.
EVLTIM
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm really not clear on how you're planning on hurting people with armor, but I guess I'm curious?

Mosh pit . biggrin.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (sidartha)
All they had in the squad cars were riot shotguns, after looting .207's 308's and the venerable 30-06 they mortally wounded the bank robbers.

If hits to the body armor, in spots that had not already been hit, penetrated, then they obviously didn't even have level III-equivalent, just level III-A by a huge margin. Still, it's true that body armor in general is not designed to make getting hit comfortable, just survivable.
Botch
The thinking on armour restriction can be simplified to ...

Reduced risk = reduced restraint
Sicarius
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nv/home/pressrel...rahim052104.htm

A DOJ operation which netted arrests for guns and body armor in the United States, which indicates that it is illegal for certain felons to possess Body Armor. Pretty reasonable I think.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Sicarius)
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nv/home/pressrel...rahim052104.htm

A DOJ operation which netted arrests for guns and body armor in the United States, which indicates that it is illegal for certain felons to possess Body Armor. Pretty reasonable I think.

fair enough, just like they are no longer allowed to vote.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012