Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 at Origins
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
kylleran
Just a quick update from Origins. The first SR4 demo was run this morning and it was full. Everyone said they had a good time and seemed to enjoy the system.

Choice comments:

"Combat ran smoother and faster than SR3, but deadlier."
- Anonymous Mook

"You can hack their guns!"
- Technomancer dude

"It's the best game I've played since Blue Rose"
- Ada Jury

"Ugh get away from me, it's early"
- Bull, famous Dumpshocker.

"I totally hax0r3d that park bench."
- Spyguy
Eldritch
eek.gif
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (kylleran)
"You can hack their guns!"
- Technomancer dude

That just seems wrong to me. Hack their guns...grumble, mutter...
Shadow
Cool, though with the Fanpro heavy players and poster it isn't very impartial.

Since there was a game run at Origins is it possible to get some more info on how combat works now? Or is it still hush hush. Or was this some kind of joke I am not getting?
Spookymonster
kylleran,

Do you have high-speed internet from your current location? I'd like to see about setting up a Skype interview with you for the podcast Kagetenshi and I are producing.
Bigity
Hopefully these are rather tongue-in-cheek.
Spookymonster
Upon re-reading, I'm thinking Bigity's on the mark. If there really was a demo, then the NDAs would be lifted, and there'd be tons of people ponying up info.

I fell for it. Oh well.
Req
What, the presence of Ada didn't tip you off?
kylleran
Or it could be just that everyone who could talk is at the con and not wanting to take the time to post about it on the Internet.
Bigity
Well, if these quotes are "real", then IMO, it's just another nail in the coffin. With the possible exception of the combat one.
blakkie
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jun 30 2005, 02:20 PM)
Well, if these quotes are "real", then IMO, it's just another nail in the coffin.  With the possible exception of the combat one.

You mean the one from "Anonymous Mook"? wink.gif Nice touch kylleran.
Lady Anaka
QUOTE (Spookymonster)
Upon re-reading, I'm thinking Bigity's on the mark. If there really was a demo, then the NDAs would be lifted, and there'd be tons of people ponying up info.

I fell for it. Oh well.

Um, there really are going to be demos (or were last I knew a couple of days ago), and it does not mean NDAs are lifted. It means there's more that can be discussed, but not that it's open season on information exchange.

There seems to be some misconception about NDAs that I should probably clear up. For starters, NDAs either don't expire or have their expiration dates clearly marked in the document. A demo being run does not negate them. The actual release of the game does not negate them. It means that you can discuss the game as released, but not the fact that you really hated mechanic X and wanted them to put X+1 in its place, nor that Bull spazzed out and called your mom names on the playtester mailing list. Posting anything that happened on the list at any time is right out. Simply finishing the playtest (or quitting, as the case may be) does not absolve someone from keeping to their signed NDA.

Just for the record.
the_dunner
Demos were in fact run yesterday. I think we had around 30 players through the course of Thursday. Several said they'd be posting here. But, I wouldn't imagine you'd see many meaningful reports 'til Monday.
Bigity
Usually, NDAs are lifted after some time after the event has passed. Even NDAs I signed for the damn government regarding classified information don't last forever.

I'm betting they will be lifted after release.
blakkie
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 1 2005, 07:05 AM)
Usually, NDAs are lifted after some time after the event has passed.  Even NDAs I signed for the damn government regarding classified information don't last forever.

I'm betting they will be lifted after release.

But some classified infomation is practically never released. At least not within the lifetime of the people involved.

Are there not gag clauses in some out-of-court legal settlements that are in infinite in duration? I know sometimes you can get stuff like that lifted if you can prove to a judge no harm based on the initial intention of the agreement or such. But still we are talking years and years and years.
Bigity
Actually, I think 99 years is the longest a NDA can be enforced. All the ones I've signed are for 99 years. Of course, I'm sure there are levels way beyond mine.

I dunno, possibly. It was my understanding that nothing could legally be gagged or whatnot forever.
blakkie
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 1 2005, 08:12 AM)
Actually, I think 99 years is the longest a NDA can be enforced.  All the ones I've signed are for 99 years.  Of course, I'm sure there are levels way beyond mine.

I dunno, possibly.  It was my understanding that nothing could legally be gagged or whatnot forever.

Cavets on property titles i know are forever, at least the few i've seen written. There might be overriding laws in what locale you are in. They are also a good example though of something that can eventually be lifted by a judge even if the one of the initial parties is not present, or perhaps even disagrees with the lifting.

That is somewhat different than a gag, but is a variation on blocking an action.
Nikoli
And with the Federal Freedom of Information Act, provided there is no longer a risk to national security from thedissemination, any US citizen has a chance to get access to even classified information.
Bigity
Yea, if you can wait for it..hehe, I've seen people dragging feet hardcore on FFOI requests.

Anyways, why wouldn't they lift the NDA...would they really go to the trouble to enforce if after release anyway?
Nikoli
True.
It's not like WotC with huge hasbro legal team on it's leash
Bull
We're running 4 demos a day, 2 at 10 AM, 2 at 4 PM. So far, we've been mostly full (though outside of some booth advertising, a lot fo folks don't know they're SR4 demo's. The curse of having to reister events in December, we didn't know we were going to do SR4 demos here then).

I've run three so far, and they've all gone really well. Two of the 3 have had mostly players familiar with SR3, one group who all came together and who had mostly not played any SR (2 had played a couple games a few years ago). So far, the response has been very positive and every really seems to be enjoying themselves. Most folks have said they're eager to check out SR4 when it comes out.

That said, unless Rob says "Go tell everyone online about Shadowrun 4", I'm not going to do any more than parrot official responses. <shrug> Not worth it to me to risk breaking NDA, nor is it worth it to get in any arguments or even lengthy discussions about SR4. I don't have the free time to do so.

It's not that the NDA is lifted, it's jsut that some folks are being allowed to see what's going on. THey're allowd to ask whatever they want, and they're allowed to look through the manuscripts we have on site. If anyone who runs anything wants to post about it and anwer questions, cool. I've encouraged several folks to do so (Though I thus far haven't had any DS regulars at my games).

Bull
Taki
hum ... I really would like to see it by myself.
Bull, could you organize, say in 2 weeks, a demo in paris ? biggrin.gif wavey.gif
Lindt
Bah, 6 weeks and get to GenCon, you can get a demo and a book that will still be warm from the printers =p
otaku mike
QUOTE (Taki)
hum ... I really would like to see it by myself.
Bull, could you organize, say in 2 weeks, a demo in paris ? biggrin.gif wavey.gif

I'm sure the French freelancers in Paris could organize a demo if they wanted to.
Maybe something could be done at the Golden Run 2005.
I'm just making guesses though, since I'm not in France anymore.

Mike
Taki
I am sure there would be people happy to go there ...

Ben
Snow_Fox
So is the magic system still mages and shamans?
hobgoblin
if the faqs are anything to go by. the sr4 magic system will allow you to build your own magical tradition but will come with atleast shamans and mages premade (and most likely the magic sourcebook will contain atleast voodoo, but im only guessing here)...
tisoz
hobgoblin, they have been running SR4 demos for 3 days now at Origins. I think Snow_Fox, and many of the rest of us, were hoping someone who participated could give some concrete idea of how the new game will play. More than general observations that seem to concur with the scraps of information you are pointing to.
Thanos007
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9023

see this thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012