Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vehicle Armor Rule
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OSUMacbeth
Hello all,

I could swear that at some point I read in either Rigger3 or the Core Rulebook that the maximum amount of vehicle armor allowed was limited some way. It was, if I recall, an equation based on body, but I can't seem to find it. Unless it's perfectly normal to be able to load up a transport with 30pts of armor...smile.gif I would appreciate someone who knows where this rule is posting its location, please. Thanks

OSUMacbeth
Nikoli
well, you do loose speed for every so many points. I'd imagine so long as you had load, cf handling, and speed to spend, you could add more armor.
Shadow
Kagetenshi and Grendel are the real experts, but I seem to recall you cant put more armor on your vehicle than twice your body.

I can't look at a book for another 6 hours though, anyone know for sure?
Kagetenshi
I don't believe that there's any such restriction, and if there is it certainly isn't 2x (there are several canon vehicles with more than that). Note, of course, that 30 points of armor is A) non-concealable (you can make it Concealed Armor, but that wastes CF for a net TN to notice of 2) and B) results in a total +5 to Handling.

~J
Nikoli
Basically, you could do it but the first obstacle in your path and you're likely hosed.
Modesitt
I could swear that at some point I read in either Rigger3 or the Core Rulebook that the maximum amount of vehicle armor allowed was limited some way

You're probably thinking of page 131-132 of Rigger 3. Personal Scale armor that is installed in a vehicle has a maximum of body*2.

Beyond that, pretty much the only limit is load and how much you're willing the lower the handling. For most campaigns, anything past 11 armor(-1 to handling, as it's greater than 6 but less than 12) is total overkill. 11 vehicle armor is enough to have mortar shells just go *PING* off of your vehicle. All you have to worry about are AV weapons, which still cause your vehicle to explode.
Kagetenshi
The key armor points:

5 (anything but sniper rifles, AV weapons, and certain explosives/PACs bounce)

11 (Anything non-AV bounces)

20 (AV HMGs and lighter bounce)

40 (Anything non-naval bounces)

Edit: arguably there's another key point at 16 (AV Assault Rifles and LMGs), but it's less important in my mind.

~J
OSUMacbeth
Ah, thanks very much, especially for the "key points." I'll be sure to let my player know what they are, and keep a copy for myself, as well. smile.gif

OSUMacbeth
Shadow
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The key armor points:

5 (anything but sniper rifles, AV weapons, and certain explosives/PACs bounce)

I thought I was safe at 6. then my GM shot me up with an AR and said "he shot you through the unarmored window". I wasn't to happy about that. But I didn't argue because I don't believe in arguing over the rules during a game.
Cain
While you could technically do that with a called shot, the penalties would be huge-- all windows are assumed to be tinted, so the shooter would have the +8 blind fire penalty on top of everything else.
Edge2054
Unless your window was rolled down at the time, in which case it'd still be partial cover easily.
BitBasher
be sure to shoot through the unarmored windows of all the npc cars from now on, and if you can't, then kick your GM square in the nuts. biggrin.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Shadow)
I thought I was safe at 6. then my GM shot me up with an AR and said "he shot you through the unarmored window".

To which I would have called bullshit. If you're going to be spending five to ten thousand or so nuyen armouring your vehicle, that'd probably include armoured glass like they currently use. Add in things like tinted windows that come as standard like Cain mentioned and he was just being an asshole IMO.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Shadow @ Jul 29 2005, 04:50 PM)
I thought I was safe at 6. then my GM shot me up with an AR and said "he shot you through the unarmored window". I wasn't to happy about that. But I didn't argue because I don't believe in arguing over the rules during a game.

Either your GM was hitting rediculous target numbers, or he's a turd. There's no way the windows are going to be completely (un)armored.

At the very least, he should have been dealing with some kind of cover (probably blind fire) and a called shot modifer; either that, or he should have been dealing with cover plus shooting through barrier.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Shadow)
"he shot you through the unarmored window"

Which would work, if windows were unarmored. The fact that they aren't kinda puts a hole in that ruling.

~J
Herald of Verjigorm
I think six posts is enough to confirm that Shadow's GM was just being an ass.

However, if I am wrong, let this count as the seventh toward the unanimous vote of bad GMing.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
40 (Anything non-naval bounces)

and what would be the point where anything naval bounce?
or would that be to muchkin to even consider? silly.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
and what would be the point where anything naval bounce?

Going just by Rigger 3, that'd be 240 points of vehicle armor -- the UGM-188 Sea Saber does 120D+26 Over-Damage (AV) against non-naval objects.
Mortax
So how much armor do you need to soak a nuc? smile.gif

Is there a restriction on concealed armor? Someone told me there was in SR2, but I don't remember seeing it.
Cain
Is there a restriction on concealed armor? Someone told me there was in SR2, but I don't remember seeing it.

As stated above, there isn't any restriction on concealed armor per se; it's just that after a point, it's not really concealed anymore. Oh, and it takes up cf, so it's dependant on how much space you have availiable.
fistandantilus4.0
I think it's around 6 where it's still semi-concealed (i.e. not painfully obvious)

The Banshee has 24 points! Yeah!

Here's a question: If you have a vehicle armored, then layered with ruthenium polymers (damn expensive), how much degredation would you apply from shots fired (resisted, un resisted, etc).
Slump
I would say a small spot-job is all that would be required. I doubt a single bullet would do much more damage than 10 cm sq, more for shotguns.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012