Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asshat Questions of the Day
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrostyNSO
I am sorry about this, but:

When an adept initiates, he can gain a point of magic and learn a point's worth of powers, right? I forget if he can grab a metamagic too...but that's another conversation.

Can that point be "saved"? For instance: If my adept wanted to learn Quick Strike, would he be able to initiate 3 times at seperate dates and then get the power? Or is this one of those things he should do 20karma=1 powerpoint for (we use both)?

Also, can powers just be "upgraded"? Or do you have to buy imp. reflexes 3 seperate from what you've already spent on imp. reflexes 2?

Again, sorry folks.
Sharaloth
1) I would assume you can save them, I can't remember anything explicit, though, but I'm pretty sure it's assumed you can save power points.

2) Yes, the powers are 'upgraded', to go from Imp. Reflexes 2 to 3 only costs you 2 power points, not 5. This is stated in the FAQ, and I'm sure it's general consensus enough not to be challenged.
Crusher Bob
There are no written rules (unless they've added something in the FAQ or errata). The normal interpretations are as follows:

Power points can be 'saved up' either from initiations, or from your original allocation of 6.

When 'upgrading' powers, for example Increased Reflexes 1 to Increased Reflexes 2 to, you only 'pay' the cost difference (in this case, 1 power point).
FrostyNSO
1) Cool, then I can RP his mystical search for the secret of the quick strike over the course of 3 initiations...bitchun.

2) Ok, that is what I figured too.

Thanks!
Method
I think saving up power points in implicit within the rules. Otherwise the only time you could learn a power that costs more than 1 point is at character gen.
Jrayjoker
I recall that you can (as an adept) save power points, but as a mage you have to use the benefits of initiation at the time of initiation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012