Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking Forward to Changes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
icharbezol
I don't post on Dumpshock much, and for what I deem a good reason. I am neither new to Dumpshock, nor am I new to Shadowrun. I have been playing the game as long as many of you, having started with 1st edition and worked all the way through 3rd edition, and probably longer than many others of you. I do not equate respect for someone on a forum with their post count, but the quality and content of their posts.

I will state now that I do not intend to start any sort of "flame war", and anyone who perceives this as an opportunity to attempt to begin such themselves is doomed to failure. I am just stating my own thoughts on why this forum fails to support the very game that it was built to support. Respond as you like, to agree or disagree or swordfish mustardball; I'll likely not respond myself. In the immortal words of Tommy Victor, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone's one." After having seen so many of them for months on end while awaiting the upcoming 4th edition, I thought to add my own to the mix. And yes, I am being ambiguous on whether I am really speaking about assholes or opinions, both on my part and the part of some others here biggrin.gif

Seems to me that Dumpshock is not really for logical discourse of thoughts and ideas, but more like the gathering place for a crew of elite uber-posters who get off on telling everyone who disagrees with their opinion how wrong they are and exactly why their opinion is better and how much the person who disagrees with them sucks. Note that I am not including everyone on Dumpshock in this category, but it seems that I must include a goodly portion, anyway.

Take this how you will, but when someone posts a valid question relating to a subject that they may not know as much as someone more familiar with the rules and game system (which is probably what they are hoping for when they ask such a question to begin with) and all they largely get are snide comments, that's exactly how I see it.

On the subject of the 4th edition, it seems to me that a majority here are coming out with an attitude that SR 4 is a failure to deliver before they even crack open any pages and have any insight at all as to why their opinions are validated by fact.

True, the artwork that I have seen for the new edition is not the best in the world. But it is definitely not the worst. The general quality of RPG art overall has been suffering for years; it's no surprise that SR is suffering too. But I have not seen it all in its entirety. Basing my entire opinion on a game by a few bits of art that are thrown at me by the publisher is not the sort of direction I wish to take. Besides which, it's pretty easy for someone with no talent at any artistic endeavor to point a finger at something someone has created and say "This is bad because blah, blah, blah", while having no ability whatsoever to produce anything better themselves.

The rules I have seen so far (and, indeed the rules anyone has seen who are not under an NDA) are not bad. They are merely different. And that difference seems to have raised a hue and cry from those who are not prepared for a change. It's been seven years; most games don't last that long before they get some kind of overhaul. SR's time has come. If you happen to be one of the people who disagrees, there's a simple answer for you that really should be apparent: don't buy the new edition, keep playing SR FASA. But FASA is dead and WizKids/FanPro owns Shadowrun, therefore I feel it's well within their right to put their own stamp on SR and move on, with or without the "core (FASA) fans".

As far as the claim of over-simplification, or "kiddie-fying", I have yet to see any hard evidence on that for certain either, although it seems many would make that assumption based on rumors, hearsay and what little has been exposed so far. I don't suspect the direction of SR will be towards twelve-year-olds at all; but if FanPro does aim in the direction of a new audience, who can blame them? It is about keeping their game alive, after all. Something I will assume more people who currently play SR want than don't.

And then there's those cries of "They are only doing it for the nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif !!!" That's probably not the only reason, as it seems most writers, artists and so on seem to enjoy their work as well. I'm sure they will be happy if their product sells, of course, but people in the RPG industry (at least the ones I know) don't labor under the illusion that their products are going to automatically become #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and make them millionaires overnight. (Sorry if anyone at FanPro reads this and it spoils everything for them wink.gif ) Indeed, the cost of most RPG products to create makes them inherently a labor of love, as most industrialists I know would say they don't make nearly as much return for the investment that's put into them. The publishing business is quite expensive...unless your name happens to be Ha$bro.

All this negativity, and invalid negativity at that, is counterproductive to the forum's purpose of supporting Shadowrun. Anyone new to SR who came here to see what was up with this game called Shadowrun probably would find very little reason to get into the new edition due to the overwhelming negativity and every reason to buy SR3 that they could think of and many people here could put forth. And then they would find they had purchased a product that is outdated and not even supported any longer.

Therefore, I am given to the opinion that this forum should be renamed "The Outdated Versions of SR Forums" and a completely new set of forums should be created for those who will be playing the 4th edition. Oh, wait, I thought that's why this section was called Shadowrun 4...
Velocity
QUOTE (icharbezol)
Seems to me that Dumpshock is not really for logical discourse of thoughts and ideas, but more like the gathering place for a crew of elite uber-posters who get off on telling everyone who disagrees with their opinion how wrong they are and exactly why their opinion is better and how much the person who disagrees with them sucks.

Welcome to the internet. Please keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times and, for the love of Christ, don't feed the animals.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (icharbezol @ Aug 16 2005, 12:13 PM)
Seems to me that Dumpshock is not really for logical discourse of thoughts and ideas, but more like the gathering place for a crew of elite uber-posters who get off on telling everyone  who disagrees with their opinion how wrong they are and exactly why their opinion is better and how much the person who disagrees with them sucks.

Welcome to the internet. Please keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times and, for the love of Christ, don't feed the animals.

Occaisionally guilty.
morlock76
I have been reading dumpshock for a bit now but never had the urge to add anything. Most stuff was already mentioned (several times).

This case is different, I have to agree and for that, post.

It never failed to amuse me how most people play SR, regardless of edition.
Its usually "building up" a safe spot inside the rules and then going tunnel vision all the way. Well, not only people in SR play this way, but specially in SR its a joke.

We all play / pretend to be shadowrunners that are basically dead when caught in the light. Every run we have to analyze, adapt, analyze, change, anaanalyze.., survive.

But for some reasons with every change of edition exactly that is asked of the player, usually for the better of the player.
But for some reason most players just dondon'tnt to do it. Or cant do it.

Personally SR is the system I am in love with, but its not the system I am in love with, but the idea and the background. Unfortunately the system itself is very much lacking (rule clogging, complexity, strange char gen / ingame balance, sucky skill system, min-maxing, ...). Many of the problems this game has are not unique to it, but as I am in love with this system I dondon'tve too much about other games.

I never really actively played SR1, but I still got my book somewhere in the shelf.
SR2 was my most active time and when SR3 was announced I was very much looking forward to it. I was aware of all the good and the ill that would / might come from it, but change is good.
Change is good. Even though most people are afraid of changes, as am I usually, I always welcome changes as they are evolution and evolution is good.
Well except for the ones that get ... well ... they stay behind. No offense indendintendedyone ... I dondon'tow anyone anyway.

I havenhaven't playing too active during the last year but I have spend many hours thinking about alternative rule systems, specially skill systems, that would reflect the game as it is and make it more viable. We can agree or disagree that skills of 1 or 2 (or 3) are not too viable.

For this reason (not alone but almost) I will very much love the new generation of SR. Beeinbeingchy myself I dondon'tve to mention that part, do I?

Well ... about the part that people in forums tend to be elitist, ignoring others below their post count? Or not actually discussion an issue but just stating their given oopinion I agree and I feel guilty. *shrug*

For the other side of the medal ... I can understand the people not wanting SR4, or fearing all the stuff they "broke". I can feel for you very much.
But its basically the same for house rules. We can bend the system as much as we want, but what happens if you ever play out of "your" group? Or ... a Con?
We don't make the rules, but we live by the rules, one way or the other.
mfb
again with the "you don't know that" argument. a) some of us do know that, and b) deductive reasoning is not (quite) dead.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (icharbezol)
I am just stating my own thoughts on why this forum fails to support the very game that it was built to support.

I'll address the rest of your post when I have more time, but if you'll note the disclaimer at the bottom Dumpshock is not an official forum of the Shadowrun owners—it's here to discuss Shadowrun, not to support it.

(Granted, the vast majority of people who bother to discuss it are fans.)

~J
icharbezol
QUOTE (mfb)
again with the "you don't know that" argument. a) some of us do know that, and b) deductive reasoning is not (quite) dead.

Hey, mfb, thanks for your response. Here's mine...

a.)You don't "know" anything for sure. You may have playtested, but that does not by any way shape or means put you in the camp of developer. You have to wait just like the rest of us for any real certainty (and see b.) for what that certainty entails). Welcome to the club.

b.) Your "deductive reasoning" is really just opinion based on your perceptions garnered through your playtest experience. "Reasoning" implies logic, which is not based upon opinion but fact. Your "fact" and "reason" behind SR 4 being teh sukk or whatever is based upon your personal opinion alone. No deduction, no reason.

If you would like to state that SR 4 is going to suck because of your opinion based upon your experiences during playtest, that's all cool and good. But stating that it is going to suck because of "Fact", because of some "knowledge" that you and some elite few that got to playtest are privy to that I just can't understand because I don't share that "knowledge" and don't have the prerequisite ability to "deductively reason", well...that smacks of exactly the snide and elitist attitude I spoke of earlier that many on this forum have. Thanks for illustrating my point in four colors.
warrior_allanon
different is not a problem when it helps, changes in decking and rigging would be accepted, but the need to change something that for three editions has grown, people know and works with very few flaws, to something completely new and unknown people are going to worry, they will hope that they will be proved wrong but when they get misleading information it makes them worry even more. whats more, there are those who either because they have playtested the new edition, or because they have seen whats in store in some way hold their own oppinions and can only slightly comment on the FAQ due to the NDA's....we will see how things are for fact in a few days, and either way it goes someone will be eating crow and someone will be vindicated
Ellery
we will see how things are for fact in a few days, and either way it goes someone will be eating crow and someone will be vindicated
I doubt it. I think that a majority of people will maintain their original opinions on the text because we actually already have a lot of information on the product, and unless the FAQs and such were simply wrong, there is plenty of information upon which to form a number of opinions that are unlikely to be changed by details. I think a minority will maintain their original opinion because they refuse to change their opinion in the face of evidence, and another minority will change their opinion because their fears have failed to materialize or their hopes were proven unfounded.

Then we can have lots of fun discussions about why, for example, someone with a skill of six is or is not world-class (sounding something like: it is, dummy, because it's printed here that it is! vs. it is not, stupid, because it only costs 12 build points!).

At least the "You don't know anything! Nobody knows! It's all idle speculation! Mystery reigns supreme!" set of arguments should be done with.
icharbezol
QUOTE (Ellery)
At least the "You don't know anything! Nobody knows! It's all idle speculation! Mystery reigns supreme!" set of arguments should be done with.

As should be the "I know everything because I playtested/saw a book at Origins/etc., etc." argument wink.gif

Kagetenshi
One of these arguments actually has a shred of sense to it. The other does not.

~J
nezumi
I suspect most of these complaints have been addressed already. This looks like yet another 'Jesus wants people to be pro-SR4, anti-SR4 have no idea what they're talking about' post. If you're just posting because you like to make noise, welcome to the club smile.gif If you're posting because you want a response to your complaints, go back over pretty much every thread in the SR4 forum.
Ellery
If the rules have changed dramatically since playtesting, that means there are a lot of unplaytested rules. Do you think that's wise? If the game has changed dramatically since Origins, that means that a huge amount of work was done in under a month with very limited manpower. Do you think that's possible?
icharbezol
QUOTE (icharbezol)
Respond as you like, to agree or disagree or swordfish mustardball; I'll likely not respond myself.

Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with this part; I am bored and the gamers don't come over till after 6 pm, so likely I might respond after all. Sorry for the confusion.
icharbezol
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
One of these arguments actually has a shred of sense to it. The other does not.

~J

Little more than that, though, for the one. It's all just opinion, and no one's opinions are going to really sell me on SR 4 being a sorry piece of crap until I have the chance to read a finished product. Then, when I decide I am holding an utter piece of shit in my hand after having finished it cover to cover, I may agree with those people's opinions.

The people basing their opinions on SR 4 being "bad" are just basing them on other people's opinions and little else. That they have little else to base their opinion on isn't really much of an excuse but I suppose for some that's all they need.
Demonseed Elite
There's really very little around here that makes much sense. And it all goes to hell, really, whenever someone tries to apply their personal opinion to people beyond themselves.
icharbezol
QUOTE (nezumi)
I suspect most of these complaints have been addressed already. This looks like yet another 'Jesus wants people to be pro-SR4, anti-SR4 have no idea what they're talking about' post. If you're just posting because you like to make noise, welcome to the club smile.gif If you're posting because you want a response to your complaints, go back over pretty much every thread in the SR4 forum.

Actually, I could care less what Jesus wants. I am not quite completely pro SR 4 yet, but I am at least waiting till I see something more concrete to base an opinion on it. More than can be said for most I've read from in pretty much every thread in the SR4 forum.

As it stands, the anti-SR4 crowd, as it were, doesn't really have an idea of what they're talking about yet. Then again neither does the pro SR4 crowd. Neither of them have the book yet to form a real opinion.

And my post wasn't as much a complaint as being directed to those stating that everything about SR4 sucks, when they don't have a definite idea on anything in the book yet other than speculation and conjecture.

And yeah, I have noticed the propensity for noise here smile.gif
nezumi
Deleted because it's more productive to ignore than refute sometimes.
icharbezol
QUOTE (Ellery)
If the rules have changed dramatically since playtesting, that means there are a lot of unplaytested rules. Do you think that's wise? If the game has changed dramatically since Origins, that means that a huge amount of work was done in under a month with very limited manpower. Do you think that's possible?

I doubt the rules have changed dramatically but I bet they have evolved at the least. And were tested by someone. Sure, that's wise. That's what playtesting before final release is for. And I am sure that plenty of work was done in under a month with very limited manpower. It's possible.

I still think that people basing an opinion on a game based on rumors/hearsay/little booklets that are in no way completed yet are forming opinions that are both flawed and incomplete.
mfb
icharbezol, that's some seriously lacking logic, not to mention some wild missing of the point. i'm basing my opinion on what i've seen of the game. i've seen quite a bit of the game. it's possible that the game could have changed completely between the time we stopped playtesting and the time the book went to print, but--hey, let's take a vote: raise your hand if you think that happened. no takers? none? s'what i thought. sure, details would have changed, minor rules, but my issue with SR4 is with the overall direction and feel of the game. no minor changes are going to fix that, unless you count "bring back variable TNs" as a minor change.

and that, right there? that's a hard fact. SR4 uses a static TN. the FAQs said so. what else is known? SR4 lacks SR3-style die pools. there are hard limits on attributes and skills. i'm not speculating, here, i'm not making things up. i'm stating what the FAQs have stated, and saying i don't like it. i'm not just naysaying because i don't like change, i'm naysaying because i don't like SR4. i don't like the style of the game, i don't like the way it plays, and chances are that none of the things i dislike about it are going to have changed by the time the book hits the stands. take your "you don't know that" crap and shove it, because I DO KNOW.
icharbezol
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 16 2005, 02:50 PM)
i don't like the style of the game, i don't like the way it plays, and chances are that none of the things i dislike about it are going to have changed by the time the book hits the stands. take your "you don't know that" crap and shove it, because I DO KNOW.

All your opinion, of course. The fact here lies only in that in your opinion the game is crap because of your playtest experience. Your "knowledge" is rather questionable, even if your opinion is not. Sorry if I offend you, mfb, but my logic is based on the fact that I will wait to base an opinion on a finished product, not your perception (read here "knowledge" if it assuages a bruised ego) of what the game may or may not be like when it becomes a finished product.
mfb
oh, for the love of mike. of course it's my goddamn opinion, nitwit. did i ever say it was anybody else's opinion? did i ever say you weren't allowed to like SR4? you, there! you! you do not like SR4! grrr!

as for my knowledge being questionable, you're right. there's a chance that the Archangel Gabriel came down from on high and handed Rob a better ruleset, scribed on a gold-crusted PDF. i think i'll bet the farm on that possibility. good idea.

i'm going to go back and sulk quietly, now. it's not like it matters, at this point.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Aug 16 2005, 02:04 PM)
oh, for the love of mike. of course it's my goddamn opinion, nitwit. did i ever say it was anybody else's opinion? did i ever say you weren't allowed to like SR4? you, there! you! you do not like SR4! grrr!

BTW did the developers pass out alternate variations to test? Like one possible rule sub-set to one group of testers, and a different sub-set to another group? Is it possible that a single given tester (unless she broke the rules and talked to other the testers) would not know of all the possible rules variations that were tested?

That aside i remember mfb's issues with SR4 transending details, and to the whole philosophy of the changes. In that matter icharbezol i think he has a good deal of knowledge of where the rules are. I suppose how well he sees into the future of SR4 play and supplement development could be questioned, but that holds true even for the development team.

as for my knowledge being questionable,  you're right. there's a chance that the Archangel Gabriel came down from on high and handed Rob a better ruleset, scribed on a gold-crusted PDF. i think i'll bet the farm on that possibility. good idea.

So it'll have flaming swords of retribution? Kewlio! smile.gif

EDIT:

i'm going to go back and sulk quietly, now. it's not like it matters, at this point.

Catch you later when the Two Become One Again. wavey.gif
icharbezol
QUOTE (mfb)
as for my knowledge being questionable, you're right. there's a chance that the Archangel Gabriel came down from on high and handed Rob a better ruleset, scribed on a gold-crusted PDF. i think i'll bet the farm on that possibility. good idea.

There, there's some wit biggrin.gif I like that part...didn't have much to do with knowing anything but a nice image anyway.

On the other hand I think it is you who misses my point. What I keep saying over and over again is that I will base my own opinion of SR 4 on what I read from the finished product rather than someone else's opinions, regardless of how they are formed.

You playtested, respect due there and I give it. But from my viewpoint it looks much like you were saying that SR4 sucks because you know it sucks, when in fact that's only an opinion and not knowledge of any sort.
mfb
*shrug* not having discussed it with other playtesters, i've got no idea about that. seems kind of counter to the purpose of playtesting, though. every group is going to miss some glaring flaws; that's why you have multiple groups. and, like you said, my biggest problems are with the "big" rules, the ones you really can't change without wholly altering the game and invalidating all prior playtesting.
icharbezol
QUOTE (blakkie)
In that matter icharbezol i think he has a good deal of knowledge of where the rules are.

I never questioned mfb's knowledge of the rules he playtested, just the "knowledge" that they sucked. Maybe he didn't mean to come across that way but that's exactly the way he came across to me.
mfb
...maybe you should pay attention to how you're coming across, because
QUOTE (icharbezol)
You have to wait just like the rest of us for any real certainty
sounds oddly like you're saying i don't know what the rules will be like.
blakkie
@icharbezol

That's not knowledge, that's opinion. He even fully acknowledged when he first broke silence about the playtesting that it was his opinion that what was happening with SR4 was very, very bad. He even gave some further explaination about what his tastes were, and a bit about how SR4 crossed those...all the time trying to keep clear of totally trashing the non-disclosure rather than just bending it.

If you go back and find that post i think you'll see. After i read through it a few times i got a much better appreciation of what his concerns were, and why in some ways his opinion made me feel MORE hopeful about SR4.
nezumi
QUOTE (icharbezol)
What I keep saying over and over again is that I will base my own opinion of SR 4 on what I read from the finished product rather than someone else's opinions, regardless of how they are formed.

If you'd like to ignore all the information presented to you from people who know more than you, why bother posting all the stuff at the beginning of this thread? Why not simply say 'there are people who are better educated on the matter than I am, but our opinions may differ, and so I will await the final product and form my own opinion' rather than claim people such as mfb have no idea what they're talking about?

For that matter, why bother posting even that? As it happens, even when mfb originally posted his opinions, I seem to recollect him saying that many people will have differing opinions from his, but this is how he felt. No one has ever claimed that ever SR player (including yourself) will have the same opinion on the finished product! In fact, I think we were all running on an assumption of quite the contrary. So why bother informing us of this little nugget?
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (icharbezol)

It is what he's saying.

And if it isn't, then he might want to completely rewrite all of his above posts.

I'm going to use officially released information (Fixed TN, no Third Edition-style dice pools, and a Attribute+Skill mechanic) to say that I really don't care for the base mechanics of Fourth Edition. I don't like Fixed TN systems, or Attribute+Skill pools.

And if those don't exist, then the FAQs lied, and .... A company lies to their customers at their peril, especially a small one like Fanpro.
Sabosect
QUOTE (icharbezol)
I don't post on Dumpshock much, and for what I deem a good reason. I am neither new to Dumpshock, nor am I new to Shadowrun. I have been playing the game as long as many of you, having started with 1st edition and worked all the way through 3rd edition, and probably longer than many others of you. I do not equate respect for someone on a forum with their post count, but the quality and content of their posts.

Good. Then you'll understand why I'm about to respond with some hostility.

I will state now that I do not intend to start any sort of "flame war", and anyone who perceives this as an opportunity to attempt to begin such themselves is doomed to failure.

You'll have to excuse me, but this strikes me as bullshit. If you did not intend to start a flamewar, you could have stated your opinions in a different manner, and in such of a way that isn't intended to automatically rile people up. As it is, your statements are worded in such a way that pissing people off is the only logical conclusion of their intent. I don't normally call people on this one, but in this case I feel it a must.

I am just stating my own thoughts on why this forum fails to support the very game that it was built to support. Respond as you like, to agree or disagree or swordfish mustardball; I'll likely not respond myself. In the immortal words of Tommy Victor, "Opinions are like assholes, everyone's one." After having seen so many of them for months on end while awaiting the upcoming 4th edition, I thought to add my own to the mix. And yes, I am being ambiguous on whether I am really speaking about assholes or opinions, both on my part and the part of some others here  biggrin.gif

Seems to me that Dumpshock is not really for logical discourse of thoughts and ideas, but more like the gathering place for a crew of elite uber-posters who get off on telling everyone  who disagrees with their opinion how wrong they are and exactly why their opinion is better and how much the person who disagrees with them sucks. Note that I am not including everyone on Dumpshock in this category, but it seems that I must include a goodly portion, anyway.

A few points:

1. As mentioned earlier, this forum is for discussing, not supporting.

2. If you really dislike those of us stating our opinions that the new edition has problems that much, do what most logical people do: Ignore them. There are plenty of other topics on here, and there are plenty of posts I've not responded to that I have disagreed with.

3. Unfortunately, most knowledge is opinion. We say "What must go up must come down" as though it is a law even though it is actually our opinion and we have proven, repeatedly, that things can go up without comming back down. Most of life and even most of science amounts to accepted opinions, half-truths, and self-delusions. It's an inescapable element of existing. Those who can't accept it usually end up wearing straight jackets because they drove themselves insane trying to find the truth behing the lies.

4. You, yourself, are guilty of the same exact thing you are complaining about. Want proof? "You playtested, respect due there and I give it. But from my viewpoint it looks much like you were saying that SR4 sucks because you know it sucks, when in fact that's only an opinion and not knowledge of any sort." Mfb has never said, at any point, that you must accept his opinion. He's never said his is the correct opinion. He's said it's his view, and you make it a point to repeatedly attack and throw words in his mouth. Now, I disagree with mfb on his opinion of the rules, but at the same time I don't honestly want or expect him to shut up about it, just like those who disagree with what I say I do not expect to be quiet. Just because I don't like the art doesn't mean I'm going to spend time trying to shoot down the posts of those who do like it.

Take this how you will, but when someone posts a valid question relating to a subject that they may not know as much as someone more familiar with the rules and game system (which is probably what they are hoping for when they ask such a question to begin with) and all they largely get are snide comments, that's exactly how I see it.

Welcome to life.

On the subject of the 4th edition, it seems to me that a majority here are coming out with an attitude that SR 4 is a failure to deliver before they even crack open any pages and have any insight at all as to why their opinions are validated by fact.

No, quite a few are basing their opinions on facts. You are using the misconception that facts will always result in the same opinions. That's the fallacy that prevents modern science from actually answering any of the more important questions other than giving possibilities. The reality is that opinions are just an interpretation of facts. The facts can be wrong, but that doesn't mean much. In this case, every person on here can point to the same set of facts. You are having the problem that, unlike your ideology, they are following a realistic example of drawing different opinions based on the facts. Some might use the word "conclusions" to disguise it, but in the end it's still just an opinion. Don't like it? Too bad.

True, the artwork that I have seen for the new edition is not the best in the world. But it is definitely not the worst. The general quality of RPG art overall has been suffering for years; it's no surprise that SR is suffering too. But I have not seen it all in its entirety. Basing my entire opinion on a game by a few bits of art that are thrown at me by the publisher is not the sort of direction I wish to take. Besides which, it's pretty easy for someone with no talent at any artistic endeavor to point a finger at something someone has created and say "This is bad because blah, blah, blah", while having no ability whatsoever to produce anything better themselves.

Art talent goes in two directions: Creating it and appraising it. The best appraisers often can't draw more than stick figures, while the best artists often can't set the correct value of their art to save their lives. It is a side-effect of human nature that causes this distinct duality. In this case, you have a problem. The artwork is exactly on what the game is supposed to be judged at first. That's the whole point behind cover art. Nothing you say will change that fact, nor will it change the fact that people will judge based on the pictures. Remove the cover art from the book and maybe you have a point. As it stands, all you have is an opinion that is disagrees with people using something as it was intended to be used.

The rules I have seen so far (and, indeed the rules anyone has seen who are not under an NDA) are not bad. They are merely different. And that difference seems to have raised a hue and cry from those who are not prepared for a change. It's been seven years; most games don't last that long before they get some kind of overhaul. SR's time has come. If you happen to be one of the people who disagrees, there's a simple answer for you that really should be apparent: don't buy the new edition, keep playing SR FASA.  But FASA is dead and WizKids/FanPro owns Shadowrun, therefore I feel it's well within their right to put their own stamp on SR and move on, with or without the "core (FASA) fans".

Here's a little secret: No change is ever good or bad, just different. People make opinions about whether it is good or bad, and usually the majority or the people in power end up determining the view that goes down in history.

As far as the claim of over-simplification, or "kiddie-fying", I have yet to see any hard evidence on that for certain either, although it seems many would make that assumption based on rumors, hearsay and what little has been exposed so far. I don't suspect the direction of SR will be towards twelve-year-olds at all; but if FanPro does aim in the direction of a new audience, who can blame them? It is about keeping their game alive, after all. Something I will assume more people who currently play SR want than don't.

Okay, now I have to laugh at you.

1. Use the "kiddie-fying" comment in the context it was intended. It was speaking of the impressions caused by the art.

2. I shouldn't even have to point out that it is an opinion created at the time by looking at the art.

3. The same person who made the comment later on outright said they hope today's entry will make that opinion look like complete ignorance. I should know, being as I said it.

4. They can keep their game alive while accepting their place as a niche audience. Or, they can attempt to appeal to a wider audience. So far, I've seen that work out worse more times than good. White Wolf and WotC were successful at it, but look at the major differences between them and Fanpro. Fanpro attempts it, they'll likely end up where Chaosium is now.

All this negativity, and invalid negativity at that, is counterproductive to the forum's purpose of supporting Shadowrun. Anyone new to SR who came here to see what was up with this game called Shadowrun probably would find very little reason to get into the new edition due to the overwhelming negativity and every reason to buy SR3 that they could think of and many people here could put forth. And then they would find they had purchased a product that is outdated and not even supported any longer.

Okay, I'm laughing at you. Seriously laughing at you. You dare complain to others about shooting down people's opinions and have the balls to attempt the very same thing later in the same post? Please. Maybe you should take your own advice and shut up about it instead of trying to shoot down the opinions of others by labelling those opinions invalid. And, top it all off, you can't give any more evidence to back up your opinion than the opposite side can, while the opposite side can at least say they haven't provided evidence for a hypocrisy charge. Very, very bad way to attempt to prove a point.

Therefore, I am given to the opinion that this forum should be renamed "The Outdated Versions of SR Forums" and a completely new set of forums should be created for those who will be playing the 4th edition. Oh, wait, I thought that's why this section was called Shadowrun 4...

In other words, you want a forum where only those who agree with the idea that SR4 is a good game will post so you don't have the inconvenience of listening to those who think it is bad. You tell a good tale, but in the end your true colors shine through.

Do yourself a favor and simply shut up while you still have some dignity left to salvage. As it stands, I see too much evidence to accept your lie about this being without intention to cause a flame war unless you honestly are stupid enough to believe than the people you disagree with will simply shut up just because you tell them to do so. And I am giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not that ignorant at the moment.
icharbezol
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (icharbezol)

Well, in answer to that, what I meant to come across as was a person who was willing to give FanPro the benefit of the doubt on SR4 and not be someone who is ready to prejudge it before it's even released, based on what little I think I may or may not know beforehand.

I am saying you may have an understanding of what the rules will be like but that's not necessarily what the rules will definitely be. I am saying you will have to wait like the rest of us for certainty on those rules. Playtest may have been end all to be all but may not have been. I've seen companies do exactly what Blakkie was discussing with playtesting different rulesets; even been involved in one. Maybe they will and maybe they won't change before release. Whether that's a lot of work or a little, whether it's probable, possible, likely, none can really say. Not even if they have already read something that required an NDA. Conjecture. Speculation. Guesswork.

I have been following your past posts as per what Blakkie had related, and I can see what your concerns are now and how you may have formed an opinion in which SR4 is not a favorable direction for you. Sorry you are so disappointed in all that's happening, I guess I can empathize there. No one likes whatever one of their favorite things are to die. Looks like FanPro will at least continue printing SR3 books after all, though. I guess that must be some small consolation to those of you who have already made up your minds.

Doesn't change my point, which was you won't know for sure definitely what everything will be like exactly till you pick up the book and read it. Neither will I nor anyone else. But regardless of all the info that I am getting from FanPro, regardless of the art which is not the greatest in the world nor the worst, regardless of the opinion of any playtesters who don't like the new direction, I will formulate my own opinion by buying the book and reading it in full and then make my decision rather than base it on partial information. Which, in the end, is how you and many others seem to be basing your opinions. And if that works for you, cool. Doesn't work for me, I like to have a whole picture and not some half-frame shot.
icharbezol
QUOTE (nezumi)
If you'd like to ignore all the information presented to you from people who know more than you

I am not saying that I am ignoring what is presented to me, but rather that what is presented to me is in a manner of opinion that's not really based upon much information. So it's not really much more than a half opinion as it were. Well, maybe a third as I am sure there's much more to it than has been revealed. And maybe mfb and other playtesters might have a 2/3 opinion since they're privvy to more information than I and those who were not playtesters are, but that's still not a whole opinion. I will be waiting for the book; I will form a whole opinion based on all of the information. Thanks for your nugget, Nezumi.
mfb
QUOTE (icharbezol)
Doesn't change my point, which was you won't know for sure definitely what everything will be like exactly till you pick up the book and read it.

you're not listening. it doesn't matter that i don't know every specific detail about the rules--moreover, i never claimed to. hell, i don't remember most of the details. my problem isn't with the details. it's with the overall direction the rules are taking. that overall direction isn't going to have changed. you don't need a 100% complete picture of something to legitimately decide whether or not you like it. you'd be a fool to make a decision before collecting a goodly amount of information, sure, but you don't need to possess every scrap of information.
Eldritch
I can't speak for how fanpro does it, but the couple play tests I've been in we did see the near final product. Only thing missing was some lay out fluff stuff. All the rules were hammered out and ran by the groups for one last "Did we miss anything".
icharbezol
QUOTE (Sabosect)

Good. Then you'll understand why I'm about to respond with some hostility.

By all means.

If you did not intend to start a flamewar, you could have stated your opinions in a different manner, and in such of a way that isn't intended to automatically rile people up. As it is, your statements are worded in such a way that pissing people off is the only logical conclusion of their intent. I don't normally call people on this one, but in this case I feel it a must.

I already said call it what you will, which would indicate my concern on that front. I stated my opinions just like everyone else here seems to do. Opinions can be taken in many different ways, many of which rile people up. I was aware of that when I posted. I also stated that I am just as much an asshole as anyone else here with strong opinions.

There are plenty of other topics on here, and there are plenty of posts I've not responded to that I have disagreed with.

I don't respond to many posts here at all...well, not in a good while anyway. Not till now. Most of my previous posts were mostly just questions about certain aspects of the game, years ago. Just heard about all this SR4 stuff a couple of months ago and didn't see why everyone who's so down on it was like that. And yes, I have the info that everyone else does at this point other than playtesters and devs. Does not seem either unplayable or crappy to me. Guess I am just wondering at this point how long a real discussion about what people DO like about what they know of SR4 would survive. I think I will start that topic in a minute to see. Haven't seen it come up yet. Or I haven't started looking hard enough.

3. Unfortunately, most knowledge is opinion.

Too true there.

No, quite a few are basing their opinions on facts.

Well, half-facts, anyway. Not a full picture of the rules contained in the book, but just on the basic mechanic and a few other details. I will give mfb and other playtesters 2/3 on that.

You are using the misconception that facts will always result in the same opinions.

Actually, no I am not. But I do admit to irritation here that so many have only half (or 2/3 facts) and are already condemning SR4. I just don't want to do the same myself, and don't understand why they do. Oh well, as they say, That's Life.

Art talent goes in two directions: Creating it and appraising it. The best appraisers often can't draw more than stick figures, while the best artists often can't set the correct value of their art to save their lives

I fail to see where most of the people criticizing the SR4 art posess this appraisal talent, however. "This sucks" isn't really any sort of skilled appraisal, and only represents their opinions. And when most of them probably couldn't do any better than stick figures (hell, I know I can't), there doesn't seem to be much room for them to be overly critical.

Remove the cover art from the book and maybe you have a point.

Ah, I think that's what the LE is for...but I had intentions other than "the cover art sucks" on buying it.

Here's a little secret: No change is ever good or bad, just different.

Wow, I believe I said that very thing!

Okay, now I have to laugh at you.

1. Use the "kiddie-fying" comment in the context it was intended. It was speaking of the impressions caused by the art.

Actually, I believe the same thing was said at one point about simplifying the rules. If I am misquoting what what said, please, provide the exact phrase. Got a game tonight in a few hours. Took that long to look through posts and catch up earlier, I don't really want to look through all the stuff again right now. Maybe tomorrow or something.

You dare complain to others about shooting down people's opinions and have the balls to attempt the very same thing later in the same post?

Uhm, yeah. I guess so. But shooting down other's opinions didn't come until later in the game, when others shot first. First post didn't label their opinions invalid, just the super-negative attitude a lot of people here seem to have when they don't have all the evidence in hand to examine. Not really quite the same thing, but I guess you would argue semantics. Don't want to.

Sorry, all you Dumpshock people who took it that way. I didn't mean to invalidate your opinions. As if I could.

And, top it all off, you can't give any more evidence to back up your opinion than the opposite side can, while the opposite side can at least say they haven't provided evidence for a hypocrisy charge. Very, very bad way to attempt to prove a point.

You might be right to some degree on that. About the only evidence that I can give is the opinion that, based on what I have seen, SR4 doesn't suck so far. And that's all the evidence that the opposite side can give to the inverse. So neither side is really proving anything at all.

In other words, you want a forum where only those who agree with the idea that SR4 is a good game will post so you don't have the inconvenience of listening to those who think it is bad. You tell a good tale, but in the end your true colors shine through.

What I want is a place where the majority of people who post are not basing an incredibly bad opinion of a game that isn't even published yet on half-facts and the opinions of others. I know, I know. Pipe dream.

Do yourself a favor and simply shut up while you still have some dignity left to salvage. As it stands, I see too much evidence to accept your lie about this being without intention to cause a flame war unless you honestly are stupid enough to believe than the people you disagree with will simply shut up just because you tell them to do so. And I am giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you're not that ignorant at the moment.

You could do well to do yourself a favor, and don't assume that you or anyone else here could possibly pose any threat to my dignity or my ability to "salvage" it. Most of your post is more of a "flaming" than anything I have said to anyone else yet on this thread. And you know what? Fine with me, doesn't bother me much at all. I keep my cool, tell you my opinion, after you have stated your own. That's pretty much the way a forum works. Thanks for sharing. Have a good night.
icharbezol
QUOTE (mfb)
you're not listening. it doesn't matter that i don't know every specific detail about the rules--moreover, i never claimed to. hell, i don't remember most of the details. my problem isn't with the details. it's with the overall direction the rules are taking. that overall direction isn't going to have changed. you don't need a 100% complete picture of something to legitimately decide whether or not you like it. you'd be a fool to make a decision before collecting a goodly amount of information, sure, but you don't need to possess every scrap of information.

Nope, you are right there. The overall direction isn't likely to change, and I had kinda conceded already that I saw your point from reading your posts and specifically your posts for nearly an hour now. So once again, I see your point. I understand your specific concerns.

Have to agree to disagree here 'cos they aren't really my concerns. And I am still waiting to possess more than just a scrap of information before I make my decision. I still can't be certain of the real direction of the game myself since I haven't had the scraps you have. Have a good night mfb, off to game time.
Sabosect
QUOTE (icharbezol)
I already said call it what you will, which would indicate my concern on that front. I stated my opinions just like everyone else here seems to do. Opinions can be taken in many different ways, many of which rile people up. I was aware of that when I posted. I also stated that I am just as much an asshole as anyone else here with strong opinions.

There is a difference between being an asshole and being a hypocrite.

I don't respond to many posts here at all...well, not in a good while anyway. Not till now. Most of my previous posts were mostly just questions about certain aspects of the game, years ago. Just heard about all this SR4 stuff a couple of months ago and didn't see why everyone who's so down on it was like that. And yes, I have the info that everyone else does at this point other than playtesters and devs.  Does not seem either unplayable or crappy to me. Guess I am just wondering at this point how long a real discussion about what people DO like about what they know of SR4 would survive. I think I will start that topic in a minute to see. Haven't seen it come up yet. Or I haven't started looking hard enough.

It's come up. Hell, look in my posts. I outright said the artwork is the only thing I have to complain about.

Too true there.

Aye.

Well, half-facts, anyway. Not a full picture of the rules contained in the book, but just on the basic mechanic and a few other details. I will give mfb and other playtesters 2/3 on that.

Unfortunately, those are probably the major changes in the book. As it is, that "basic mechanic" changes the entire nature of the game due to how much the game relies on TNs. Hell, we've had entire pages of mathematics on here about it.

Actually, no I am not. But I do admit to irritation here that so many have only half (or 2/3 facts) and are already condemning SR4. I just don't want to do the same myself, and don't understand why they do. Oh well, as they say, That's Life.

They are condemning changes they don't like. You honestly think seeing the exact details of the change is going to change their opinions of the change itself?

I fail to see where most of the people criticizing the SR4 art posess this appraisal talent, however. "This sucks" isn't really any sort of skilled appraisal, and only represents their opinions. And when most of them probably couldn't do any better than stick figures (hell, I know I can't), there doesn't seem to be much room for them to be overly critical.

All appraisals are simply opinions. It's what the appraiser thinks it is worth, or what the appraiser thinks it comes across as.

Ah, I think that's what the LE is for...but I had intentions other than "the cover art sucks" on buying it.

Which addresses my point how?

Wow, I believe I said that very thing!

Nope. You said, "The rules I have seen so far (and, indeed the rules anyone has seen who are not under an NDA) are not bad. They are merely different." You specifically brought up the idea changes can be bad or good.

Actually, I believe the same thing was said at one point about simplifying the rules. If I am misquoting what what said, please, provide the exact phrase. Got a game tonight in a few hours. Took that long to look through posts and catch up earlier, I don't really want to look through all the stuff again right now. Maybe tomorrow or something.

Actually, the only time the word was used was in one of my posts. I said: "Much of my complaint about this has nothing to do with cyberpunk, but just Shadowrun. Shadowrun is a dark, gritty game in its feel. I don't feel the cover, logo, and interior decorations of SR4 even come close to attempting to reflect that. It looks to me like they are trying to clean the grime out of the gutters in a vain attempt to draw in the crowds lured by the "cleaner" games WotC pulls out of its hoop. I'm sorry, it just seems like they're kiddyfying SR. If I didn't know better, I would swear this is a book put out by WotC." Note the entire time I was talking about the art of the book itself, not the rules.

Now, I haven't seen a comment to that affect about the rules, but that's not saying there isn't one. The complaints about twelve year olds have mostly been a slightly different topic.

Uhm, yeah. I guess so. But shooting down other's opinions didn't come until later in the game, when others shot first. First post didn't label their opinions invalid, just the super-negative attitude a lot of people here seem to have when they don't have all the evidence in hand to examine. Not really quite the same thing, but I guess you would argue semantics. Don't want to.

Actually, I would argue the negativity is their opinions. Can't exactly say you don't like something without being nagative towards it.

Sorry, all you Dumpshock people who took it that way. I didn't mean to invalidate your opinions. As if I could.

You'll have to excuse my skepticism.

You might be right to some degree on that. About the only evidence that I can give is the opinion that, based on what I have seen, SR4 doesn't suck so far. And that's all the evidence that the opposite side can give to the inverse. So neither side is really proving anything at all.

My experience with DnD has taught me this: Neither side ever will. They can continue to argue and fight over it, but in the end all they have is their opinions. No one wins or loses.

What I want is a place where the majority of people who post are not basing an incredibly bad opinion of a game that isn't even published yet on half-facts and the opinions of others. I know, I know. Pipe dream.

Which disproves what I said in what way?

You could do well to do yourself a favor, and don't assume that you or anyone else here could possibly pose any threat to my dignity or my ability to "salvage" it.

Ow... my sides hurt from laughing at this statement. Too much...

You give me too much credit in even bringing up the possibility I could pose a threat to your dignity. I'm a minor poster here and I know it. And even if I wasn't, I still couldn't damage it. However, there is someone here who can: You. Now, keep that in mind and look back at what I said again.

Most of your post is more of a "flaming" than anything I have said to anyone else yet on this thread. And you know what? Fine with me, doesn't bother me much at all. I keep my cool, tell you my opinion, after you have stated your own. That's pretty much the way a forum works. Thanks for sharing.  Have a good night.

Yeah, it's flaming. It's one of the rare times I ever do. Usually, I save it for the times when someone makes a complete jackass out of themselves, and most the time not even then.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012