Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Countdown to release...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Sabosect
To celebrate, my group is doing one last run. They're planning on nuking California and generally doing enough damage to reshape it to match the map of SR4. Since tonight is not an official game, I'm dropping the normal rules and just letting them have fun. Characters that start off with all 12s for stats, infinite nuyen, Essence of 12, no limit on what they can buy... I already have one planning on buying an aircraft carrier to use as a mobile missile.

As soon as our current campaign is wrapped up, we're switching. The group voted on it.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Sabosect)
To celebrate, my group is doing one last run. They're planning on nuking California and generally doing enough damage to reshape it to match the map of SR4. Since tonight is not an official game, I'm dropping the normal rules and just letting them have fun. Characters that start off with all 12s for stats, infinite nuyen, Essence of 12, no limit on what they can buy... I already have one planning on buying an aircraft carrier to use as a mobile missile.

As soon as our current campaign is wrapped up, we're switching. The group voted on it.

Yah, my group opted to switch right away too. They want me to start this friday (I hope I have time to read the book)
Backgammon
Well, Adam has to make the PDF, I guess. That's one thing.

Battlecorps and DriveThru have to put it up on their website. That's a whole other thing.

Adam may spend the night making the thing, but that doesn't mean the vendors have a guy forgoing sleep so he can put it up the second he receives it....
Wireknight
I was fairly sure that part of the printing process, in our modern day and age, involved creating a PDF and basing the printed version off of the PDF template. He probably does have to make a working table of contents, though. Hopefully he'll be ready with it soon.
Athenor
QUOTE (Wireknight)
I was fairly sure that part of the printing process, in our modern day and age, involved creating a PDF and basing the printed version off of the PDF template. He probably does have to make a working table of contents, though. Hopefully he'll be ready with it soon.

I think this is why you are seeing PDF's becoming more common, although they obviously need retooling, as you said.

The question is whether or not Adam and the others actually -use- Acrobat, and not something like Quark or some other publication program.
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Well, Adam has to make the PDF, I guess. That's one thing.

Battlecorps and DriveThru have to put it up on their website. That's a whole other thing.

Adam may spend the night making the thing, but that doesn't mean the vendors have a guy forgoing sleep so he can put it up the second he receives it....

If it was going on on thursday anyway, you think it'd be fairly near ready? I don't know how much it takes to convert a book to a PDF
Nomad
Well, its midnight for the US Eastern Time Zone. No releases yet......looks like I'll be checking in the morning.
Connor
When using something like Quark you can export your files as PDFs, though it wasn't always easy. It's especially trivial on a Mac as you can print anything into a PDF through the OS. However, if there are going to be things like bookmarks to jump from chapter to chapter and what not, it would take some time to get things like going.
Backgammon

A piece of regretful news — despite a sleepless night hunched over on a futon, working feverishly until the 07:00 munchies hit and I was forced to wander down the street for bad eggs and worse service, I was not able to finish the Shadowrun Fourth Edition eBook before leaving for GenCon.

This means the eBook release will likely not be until sometime next week. We apologize for this delay, but look forward to the regular and Limited Edition release at GenCon, and our release party on Friday night. Please stop on by if you’re at the con!

From srrpg.com

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
Adam
Unfortunately, the time-killer in this case is the post-processing -- optimizing the file to be an ideal file size without sacrificing too much quality, and adding in all the bookmarks. Regretfully, I was not able to finish in time [although I did not sleep until I was securely in the car to Indianapolis, and then I died] so the eBook likely won't be out until next week.

I'll be posting another preview tonight.
Sabosect
Please tell me you were not driving when that happened.
Fizzygoo
le Sigh frown.gif

But...thank you for the effort, hopefully the eggs don't have a sustained bad effect.
Ranneko
Indeed, tis a pity you didn't get it finished in time.

Although the question of how it was going to come out on Thursday does raise itself.

Such is life however.
Bandwidthoracle
So have the books shipped, is there any chance my gaming store will get it soon?
Vairdic
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle)
So have the books shipped, is there any chance my gaming store will get it soon?

Generally the advanced copies are sent direct from the printers to the convention. They then finish the entire print fun before being shipped to the distributors.

My guess is it's still a bit before it appears in the stores.

I'll try and nail down Rob and ask him how long the whole shibang generally takes for it to get out.
Milo Simpkin
Hmmmm. So do you really think the people responsible for getting the pdf out should be going to the release part? I for one know that if I missed a deadline at work then I wouldn't be going to no staff party wink.gif

Nose to the grinfstone!

This is kinda particularly annoying as with a fixed date like we were given I had booked today off work. I was due to be starting a new RP campaign today and I had everyone all fired up over SR4. PLans were to dl and read today then zip it round to the guys tonight.

Oh well....but next WEEK! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
SL James
Come on. Did you really expect them to meet the deadline?
mintcar
It doesn´t seem to be more than a days work to get it ready for release, so yes.
ankh-le-fixer
COPY OF MY POST ON THE "Sobs... Shadowrun Ebook delayed" TOPIC

As all people who wait for 6 months, I'm very disappointed about that new delay frown.gif

Why didn't he make the PDF before yesterday??? he tells us yesterday "What? SR4 PDF is due today?" for me it's unacceptable for a professional -> I imagine the face of my boss if I tell him the same about the software I develop "What ? it's due today?" I will get fired!

If I dont make mistake, it's Adam who makes the FAQ so why did he put a date for the pdf release if he won't make it!!! He don't finish the pdf but go to gencon to celebrate the SR4 release??? that's really amazing and disrespectful for all the people that can't go to Gencon and wait for the pdf for 6 months... is Adam the only guy that can make some layout at Fanpro??? isn't it possible to take a laptop and finish it at gencon? or may be it's not just a layout problem...

waiting another week for the PDF release is really a bad news (I will sleep badly for another 7 days ) and publishing an SR4 archetype each day will not help much
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (SL James)
Come on. Did you really expect them to meet the deadline?

To be completely and totaly honest? Yes. Why shouldn't we have expected them to produce, what they told us they would, on time?

Thank you though Adam for making quite the effort to get it out to us, and I realy do apreciate your tireless efforts for us.

I will agree with the comment on the question of it being ready for Thursday (today) does come up and bothers me just a bit.

All in all I find myself a bit disapointed in all of this. I'll hope for Monday but the tone of his apology there suggests later in the week which is even further disapointing.
nezumi
I'm surprised Adam was even considering releasing it this week in the first place (and the fact that he made such an effort is certainly a testament to his dedication to US, the fans, over both his own welfare or the book and mortar stores he depends on.)

I wasn't expecting to see the pdf until September, at the earliest. You guys are complaining about NEXT WEEK? *sigh*
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (nezumi)
I'm surprised Adam was even considering releasing it this week in the first place (and the fact that he made such an effort is certainly a testament to his dedication to US, the fans, over both his own welfare or the book and mortar stores he depends on.)

I wasn't expecting to see the pdf until September, at the earliest. You guys are complaining about NEXT WEEK? *sigh*

The only reason I'm complaining about next week is we were told it was to be released Wed. Then Adam said he thought it was Thursday it was to be released, and here it is thrusday and we're being told wait till next week. Thats what upsets me. Being told by a company, its going to be available such and such a day and being ready for it and then having them say, oh well you won't get it till next week.

Don't get me wrong, I am very thankfull for Adam's work and what he's doing for us the fans and consumers. I am however disapointed as to the way things were presented to us.
tirsales
First:
I don't want to get cheeky or something ...
But: If I post an official release date ... It should be correct.
(Yeah, perhaps I am tired because I was staring at my monitor all the nights through, waiting for the release ...)

And ... Waiting for the hardcover? I am living in good, old Germany and my store told me yesterday that they would probably have a copy around at the end of september. Thats a f***ing long time!

So ...
I REALLY NEED this PDF. Who do I have to blackmail?
I AM taking Beta-Versions and LIKE to send back corrections, typos or whatever ... I really do!
You need a tester or a lector? Thats me! But I WANT THAT PDF NOW! wink.gif

By the way: I am thankful for those pdfs. I really am. And if I can contribute by checking or correcting preview versions I really would be glad (even signing an NDA wink.gif )
Darkness
Yeah, the presentation was kind of unlucky.
*shrugs*
*sighs*
I will come over it.
*Takes his friend the bottle and sips.*
*sighs*
Zen Shooter01
Thanks at least for the explanation for this failure being on time.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (nezumi)

This point of view boggles my mind. We're given a firm release date and it slips, and people are saying "at least it isn't later"?

For the love of whatever passes for a god around here, have some standards! Just because sloppy business practices are common in this industry, that doesn't make them acceptable.

~J
Nerbert
I'm more dissapointed that instead of slipping a day or two we have to wait another week.
Slacker
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 18 2005, 10:04 AM)
I wasn't expecting to see the pdf until September, at the earliest.  You guys are complaining about NEXT WEEK?  *sigh*

This point of view boggles my mind. We're given a firm release date and it slips, and people are saying "at least it isn't later"?

For the love of whatever passes for a god around here, have some standards! Just because sloppy business practices are common in this industry, that doesn't make them acceptable.

~J

Maybe not for you, but it does make it acceptable to me. So I have to wait a few more days for something I've already been waiting for six months for. That's not even a 1% increase in the length of time I'm waiting, so who cares?

Obviously you do, and your welcome to do so. Its just that some others don't see a point to getting worked up about a short delay in the release of something that is only a game.
nezumi
Yeah, I'm with Slacker. Really, Adam would've been better off saying he'd put it out next week anyway, then putting it up yesterday and surprising us. But the way I see it, he put himself in a tough situation because he was anxious to please us, the fans.

I guess I accepted September as the release date a while ago and the fact that the expectation of Wednesday wasn't met didn't really affect me then. If he gets it out next week, it'll STILL be early by my reckoning.
Shadow_Prophet
QUOTE (nezumi)
Yeah, I'm with Slacker. Really, Adam would've been better off saying he'd put it out next week anyway, then putting it up yesterday and surprising us. But the way I see it, he put himself in a tough situation because he was anxious to please us, the fans.

I guess I accepted September as the release date a while ago and the fact that the expectation of Wednesday wasn't met didn't really affect me then. If he gets it out next week, it'll STILL be early by my reckoning.

You and the person before you have valid points. I have a friend who knows Adam personaly and loves shadowrun as well. At first she was mad at me for being upset, but when i explained that I'm more disapointed in the way it was presented to us than angry at adam and whatnot she agreed with me, and conceeded the fact that she is realy looking forward to it and she's not as disapointed in it since she was at origins and got to see the unbound unofficial version. So.

While this is a game, they still said one thing and did another and thats what bothers me. Even if it had read "We are shooting for a release for the pdf on Wed..." I wouldn't be upset since well that statement there implies that it may be delayed depending on things.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Slacker @ Aug 18 2005, 01:00 PM)
Obviously you do, and your welcome to do so. Its just that some others don't see a point to getting worked up about a short delay in the release of something that is only a game.

I'm not getting worked up about it itself, but I find the cries of "no harm, no foul" to be absurd. It's certainly not a major issue—especially as compared to, say, all the books that were supposed to be released pre-SR4 that still haven't come out—but the fact remains that FanPro screwed up. Everyone screws up, I do it as well and hold no ill will towards Adam and little toward FanPro over this, but denials that this was a significant screwup are insane.

~J
nezumi
Meh... Maybe it's just that I work in government, so I have a much higher tolerance for screw ups.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012