Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Karma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Ellery
QUOTE (WorkOver)
Why even conscider buying rules just to house rule them. Why not play SR3, or better yet, save your money and design your own game?
Well, some of us are probably not going to buy SR4, and will be increasingly unlikely to buy additional rules supplements (though we may buy setting supplements if they're well done). Some of us are thrilled with SR4 and will buy it anyway and enjoy it. Some of us are working on modifications of the SR3 rules to bring them in line with the SR4 timeframe.

Also, for people who think they can do reasonably well on a final exam for a one-semester course with only a couple of hours of exposure to C, here is a final exam for a six week summer course. Only a subset of the questions depend on knowledge of C, since this both introduces programming and C at the same time. So this is about half of what you should expect from a purely C course.
blakkie
The C part of that looks pretty damn easy, the only possibly tricky part would be knowing exactly what the result looks like for the code with the memory management error (the exam doesn't seem to ask for that bit of info). But spotting the error when you are told it is there is fairly easy. I remember the introductory C course i [occasionally wink.gif] attended was much more coding centered in the class and final evaluation. From that exam it looks like a puff class on the coding side, more of an introduction to programming.

Of coure i never said an exam, i was talking about a project/task done within the language. Exams introduce and tend to require stuff outside the actual coding where the prof is looking for an echo back of what they said in the course, in the particular terminology the prof used.

The "Big O notation" is a good example of something that doesn't have a lot to do directly with coding. It is more a communication with others issue because a person can identify and understand a problem in their own "notation".

Although i noticed that in this particular exam it does explain the terminology of "double-linked list".
Ellery
I'm not sure a final project is a fair test of anything relevant to this conversation. Final projects require far more than a couple of hours of work--so you'd spend the time on the project both learning the language and doing the project. Fine for an extended test, but not one that's supposed to resolve in seconds or minutes.

Closed book final exams are better at testing what you actually know at that moment.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 28 2005, 05:30 PM)
I'm not sure a final project is a fair test of anything relevant to this conversation.  Final projects require far more than a couple of hours of work--so you'd spend the time on the project both learning the language and doing the project.  Fine for an extended test, but not one that's supposed to resolve in seconds or minutes.

Closed book final exams are better at testing what you actually know at that moment.

I see what you mean about large projects. Finals that are coding exams that have problems taking only 30-60 minutes or less, partially open (online reference manual access only) is probably pretty close. As long as the exam is design to be tight on time, which i personally view as typically superior in determining true usable skill. With unlimited time you lose a lot of stratifying. The mantra in the post-secondary program i was in was "It's all just ones and zeros. How tough could it be?" smile.gif

Besides this is really about a rough approximation of how to translate the mechanics of SR4 treatment of Attributes & Skills into RealLife™. Oh, and dick swinging and personal attacks too i guess. wink.gif

Extended tests seems to make sense given that i get the impression that a lot of Hacking in combat uses extended tests with the duration for each roll in something like turns. Could be wrong there.
Kagetenshi
How quickly you can sling code is much less important than how you approach a problem.

~J
nezumi
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 28 2005, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2005, 07:14 PM)
Nezumi-- maybe not, but you *might* be able to.  That's essentially why you have to make the test-- it's not a guarantee.

So you're suggesting that, without reference materials or sample code, a man who can program in one language can program in a totally different one he's never even seen?

So you are suggesting that the "Hololisp" programming environment would come without a online reference manual and examples?

I did specify no reference materials available in my example. I do write my posts in their entirety with the intention of their being read similarly. I also said that if online resources were available, a test would be suitable, but not necessarily a programming test.

I can't resist this dig, sorry, but for someone who seems to learn programming languages with no work whatsoever, your reading comprehension seems poor nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 28 2005, 05:54 PM)
How quickly you can sling code is much less important than how you approach a problem.

~J

But approach and the code written to it regulates speed.

Well not so much in an exam, not even in a project. It's when you go back to the code and debug or fit it into a system or the system or conditions external to it change. That is where the elite coder makes up enormous amounts of time.

But that is hard to show and enforce in a beginer course material, all the instructor can do is try look for some good basic programming habits and try grade accordingly. That's why i said "grade has only a partial correlation to underlying ability", especially at a beginning level.

Programming involves so much more. At it's root the job is that of a translator, translating between people and computers and back. But there are so many skills involved in that. To try shoehorn it into a Skill Group can at best end with a cardboard cutout of an approximation.....but that's a completely different discusion on my philosophy of programming. Damn kids always getting me started on the 'old days'. *sigh*
blakkie
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 28 2005, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 28 2005, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 28 2005, 08:38 AM)
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 27 2005, 07:14 PM)
Nezumi-- maybe not, but you *might* be able to.  That's essentially why you have to make the test-- it's not a guarantee.

So you're suggesting that, without reference materials or sample code, a man who can program in one language can program in a totally different one he's never even seen?

So you are suggesting that the "Hololisp" programming environment would come without a online reference manual and examples?

I did specify no reference materials available in my example. I do write my posts in their entirety with the intention of their being read similarly. I also said that if online resources were available, a test would be suitable, but not necessarily a programming test.

I can't resist this dig, sorry, but for someone who seems to learn programming languages with no work whatsoever, your reading comprehension seems poor nyahnyah.gif

I read to the end. I comprehended. I shortened the quote text for brievity (should have done a <snip> i guess EDIT: there, fixed it for you). I then asked a question to clarify what you were implying before i pointed out you are a moron for not realizing that modern highlevel languages have reference manuals built into their programming environment, or expecting that to change any time in the next 65 years. Epecially when a commlink is assumed to have effectively unlimited memory storage.
Kagetenshi
Dude, not everyone uses an IDE. Last time I checked there isn't a reference manual built into TextEdit, nor should there be.

~J, doing a stunningly bad job of staying out of this one.
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 28 2005, 06:37 PM)
Dude, not everyone uses an IDE. Last time I checked there isn't a reference manual built into TextEdit, nor should there be.

~J

If you want to clear out all available space on your commlink for all the digital format pr0n pics every produced by humanity, and then go and bang rocks together when you code. Sure you can. But 3rd party text editors that weren't IDEs were helping people move up to banging language reference detailed sticks together some time before there were IDEs for some compilers/systems, and that was over a freaking decade ago.

EDIT: BTW do you actually use paper reference manuals only when coding with TextEdit?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (blakkie)
EDIT: BTW do you actually use paper reference manuals only when coding with TextEdit?

No, I typically use either non-integrated electronic references or no references at all (it typically comes out for particularly trivial tasks, like all of my C++ homework last year).

~J
Sharaloth
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 28 2005, 04:39 PM, edited and numbered for ease of reference)
1)You certainly think highly of your posts if you feel they impart some sort of dignity? wink.gif

2)You mean that you including you own personal experience, and a assessment of it, in your post doesn't mean that it completely ego driven? Well gooolee-gee Gomer.  wobble.gif

3)Because if i was to hang a grade on it, i'd say ya within a few hours i could have written a "C" level, on the curve, final project for an 1 semester C introduction course.

4)Well some people just have more dick to swing i guess, sorry you come up short. wink.gif

5)AIR BALL!!!!

1) I need to think nothing of my posts to know that simply responding imparts dignity to yours... especially ones such as the above. It's an unalterable fact that personal attacks lack any dignity of their own, so responding to them is about the only way they'll get any. Me, I've avoided any personal attacks against you (with the exception of a few weak jabs that are there only as a token), simply responding to what you have written and pointing out how your words lack depth and truth. That you see the need to attack me directly for this, when you could have, WAY back, stopped this entire thing and retained some credibility, simply by an admission of possible fallacy, only indicates your own failings as a person.

2) This makes no sense, and is a completely irrelevant comment. I can see why you chose to include it, but take that argument furthar and you'll be committing a straw man fallacy, and we all know how well those work on these boards.

3) This is the original BS statement that I still call you on. Don't kid yourself, after a few hours you might have grasped the basics and even begun to code freely, but if thrown into a semester finishing project, you would have failed.

4) Irrelevant and a personal attack, which also inverts what would be the reality. If talking about something I'm not good in is swinging my dick, then it's gotta be so fuckin' huge there's no way it won't swing. If this is the case, should I actually choose to start swinging my dick, you'd better hope you've got a good bomb shelter 'cause it'll be levelling the goddamned city. (Yes, this is terrible hyperbole. Forgive me for going all schoolyard here, but he fucking started it.)

5) Well, everybody's gotta miss sometimes. I guess you just didn't want it enough.

In any case, I'm done. My take on the problem from way back? Raw talent does not allow you to emulate skill, it just allows you to gain that skill faster and easier. The budding genius wouldn't be able to take on the old chess master if he didn't know the rules of the game. Given time and instruction, the tables may turn.

I'm not too keen on the skill/attribute caps in SR4 to begin with, so depending on the house rules I might raise the cost of increasing attributes. If I were playing with the caps, I probably wouldn't alter the costs, though, and just hand out the requisite lower amount of karma to keep progression fairly steady.
Hell Hound
QUOTE (blakkie)
...But yes, you'll have problems when stuffing all the raw base abilities of a person into 8 catagories (or less). Then trying to game balance them...

Same with stuffing all the specialized knowledge and techniques people have into a relatively small set of Skills.

Skills are indeed still a broad category to reflect natural talent, but they are narrower than attributes which for me makes them better for reflecting the capabilities of characters without making them talented in too many other areas.

QUOTE (blakkie)

Incidentally how did you handle two characters in SR3 facing off that had equal Skill but one had a higher Attribute? Sure the Attribute came into play elsewhere in the game. But they were given no factoring on the specific opposed Skill test.

Attribute mattered some when learning the skill, but there raising SKill from 1 to 2 was the same whether you had an Attribute 2 or 10.

In SR3, the system itself handles characters who had the same skill level but different attributes. Thier attribute represented their natural talent, how easily they would come to master the skill. So two characters with the same skill level were equally matched, they had the same level of ability in that skill regardless of their attributes, but one had worked harder (spent more karma or chargen points) to achieve that level of skill. Any difference in attributes would be revealed in subsequent encounters where the character with the higher attribute would have raised their skill faster (lower Karma cost).

Yes, raising a skill from 1 to 2 has the same cost if your attribute is 2 or 10, but if your attribute is 1, then there is a difference between you and anyone else learning the skill. The same as raising an attribute from 3 to 4 is the same if your attribute is 4 or 10, but if your attribute is three or less then your karma cost is different. I'm not going to say its the greatest mechanic out there but it works for me, it was an aspect of SR3 I liked.

QUOTE (WorkOver)

Why do you people bother even buying SR4? This thread degenerated into a flame fest over a rule, not yet read, and 10 posts about house rules...

I don't yet own a copy of SR4 but from what I have read here on Dumpshock It has at least got my interest. Some of the changes sound interesting and I think the game would be enjoyable to play, at the same time however some of the rules feel wrong to me. There's nothing new about that. I've never heard of a game system where noone that played it ever implemented a house rule. Calling a game system the best there is and still butchering the rules six ways from Sunday does not seem to be quite such a contradiction in the roleplaying community.
Crusher Bob
If we want to view the written skill level not as 'actual skill' but as a sort of 'effort taken to learn' and admitting the fact that the 'actual skill levels might be highly different' this does produce something like the current SR4 results.

Assuming we rate skills at 'stat plus skill' (and not just skill level) then rewrite the 'average skill table' then things might make more sense.

So a 'skill level' (actuall stat plus skill) is what is being measure not the skilli in isolation (as the skill in isolation dosen't measure anything.

So you might have (for shooting stuff) the following skill levels:

4 raw recruit
5 most police officers
6 regular army
8 highly trained or veteran
10 highly trained and veteran
12 olympic class

This might help reduce the problem of being 'accidentally good' at something because your charater has a high linked stat. However, we run into the problem of granularity here. Someone with a stat of 6 can't only know a 'little bit' about the subject. They are either defaulting (and doing a pretty suck job at it) or they have a skill level of one and are kicking ass already.
Space Ghost
There's an easy fix that doesn't mess with the rules here. The GM can limit or tailor any "given" information (meaning stuff he just tells you without needing a skill roll) based on your skill rating.

Example 1: While planning an infiltration you get ahold of a copy of the invoice for the installation of a model H63 Novatech security terminal.
Skill 1 guy will need to do a little research to find out what tools he'll need to bypass it.
Skill 6 guy knows it's late model voice and retinal scanner. It's in-set into the wall and is a real bitch to crack open. When properly accessed, the connected door stays open for exactly 7 seconds. Blocking the door as it shuts sends an alert to central control, but only if it remains blocked for more than 2 seconds.

In the end, they both have equal competency in executing the task, but Skill 6 guy shows himself to the knowledgeable veteran thief. Skill 1 guy might have to do it twice after the door shuts before the whole group walks through, depending on the extent of his research, that is.

Or for harsher GMs:
Example 2: During a gun fight you run out of ammo. You grab a tricked-out assault rifle off the corpse of one of your enemies.
Skill 1 guy wants to take out a far-away enemy. He takes aim through the scope and misses.
Skill 6 guy realizes that the dead guy has a very different build from his own. The sights will be horribly off, so he switches to full-auto and fills the air with bullets instead...

This method gives tangible benefits to skill-boys without screwing up the basic mechanics of the skill roll (actually bypassing the security terminal/shootin' folk). The second example shouldn't be the norm. It's just one of those things that might happen every now and then. Poor guy loses an action, but he won't make the same mistake twice, assuming he lives to take another action.
My favorite part: The bonus info given to high-skill characters sets a precedent "You'll never be the best of the best without a high skill". Skill 6 guy is constantly reminded he's cool. Skill 1 guy has at least some incentive to raise skills. Don't get me wrong, it's still a trade off. Higher stats will make you better overall, but higher skills makes you elite.
The more you, the GM, hate rampant stat-buffing, the more serious the bonus or lack of info will be.

Make sure your players know what you're up to, and they'll probably come around to your way of thinking.
mintcar
The above is the way we always do it isn´t it? There are after all skills that you never roll, especially knowledge skills. Skills have always represented how much you know about a subject, and how well versed you are in it. Some of you are in such disagreement over the programming example it has become a bad example. Pick another one. Is it still unimportant wether you have gained your proficiancy through raw aptitude or trained skill?

Lets say we take electronics as an example. We have this moron janitor on one hand, with logic 1 and electronics 4 (he´s been working hard to get that stat). On the other hand we have some player´s street sam character with high stats all over, and 4 in logic, but who has neglected his electronics skill, so that´s still 1. Now, in a contest with moderate difficulty we will be faced with a stupid guy doing what he does every day and a smart guy doing something likely for the first time. I wouldn´t feel bad giving the janitor some kind of edge in that contest.

(That would not be arbitrary then, but situational. Faced with a problem without immediate suloution the moron janitor would be completely lost. Then he would be the one getting a penalty)

Off course I might just not be smart enough to see that superior, innate, logical capacity can take you past the greatest scholars in any given field. wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (mintcar @ Aug 29 2005, 02:27 AM)
The above is the way we always do it isn´t it? There are after all skills that you never roll, especially knowledge skills. Skills have always represented how much you know about a subject, and how well versed you are in it.

"Never roll" skills? I don't remember the canon on that? But then again i haven't picked up the SR3 manual for more than a quick glance in quite some time.

EDIT: Or Space Ghost is in your group and that is a house rule you use? Our group typically use that sort of thing for the language skills, but not knowledge skills.

Some of you are in such disagreement over the programming example it has become a bad example. Pick another one.

While the extra complication from my example choice is regretable, any particular example would be picked and rehashed beyond usefulness. It really comes down to whether someone is willing to work within the given SR4 rules to understand what the Skills and Attributes translate to, or whether they want to impose their own definitions on them (EDIT: or bring forward part or all of the old SR3 concept of Attribute) and then house rule to suit whichever.

Frankly i'd find it rather ironic that people that found keeping SR3 was fine, but SR4 is something that must be "fixed".

Since under SR3 the Attributes actually ment two totally different things. At times they were actual physical abilities/properties, such as when used for Soaking or whichever Initiative (meat/astral/matrix/rigged). But then when a Skill was involved the physical abilities/properties of the Attribute dissappeared at the time of the Skill test, it only had some sort of strange bearing on learning, and only as a cap.

QUOTE (Hell Hound)
Yes, raising a skill from 1 to 2 has the same cost if your attribute is 2 or 10, but if your attribute is 1, then there is a difference between you and anyone else learning the skill.

Here HH tosses out the red herring of setting the Attribute to 1. This ignores the question of what happened to the difference of that extra physical abilities/properties between 2 and 10 when it came time to actually do something. Instead it is only there in an abstract, and extremely distant way.

But wait, the difference that is totally and utterly overshadowed when the Skill is used suddenly shows up again in that exact same Skill test when you Default to the Attribute. It basically says there is an exclusive situation where you can only use a puny skill OR raw ability/properties. What, my inheret extra Dexterity that does help me when i'm not trained suddenly can nolonger help me be Stealthy?

Don't get me wrong, i played with the SR3 rules. Because, you know, Attribute is an abstract approximation that in SR3 had these dual natures that are combined into one number.
mintcar
"Never roll" skills? I don't remember the canon on that? But then again i haven't picked up the SR3 manual for more than a quick glance in quite some time.

What I mean is that skill and attribute values are normaly used for reference about a characters abilities as much as the rolls are. Not every situation requires a die roll. Most skills requires rolls, but there ARE skills that you do not normaly roll, like the language skills you yourself mentioned. All I´m saying is that this is a reason to raise a skill instead of raising the attribute. Even if you raise the attribute linked to the "car" skill so high your chance is the same in the actual roll as if you raised the skill itself, that does not properly reflect that your character has a background as a dragracer.

While the extra complication from my example choice is regretable, any particular example would be picked and rehashed beyond usefulness. It really comes down to whether someone is willing to work within the given SR4 rules to understand what the Skills and Attributes translate to, or whether they want to impose their own definitions on them (EDIT: or bring forward part or all of the old SR3 concept of Attribute) and then house rule to suit whichever.

Frankly i'd find it rather ironic that people that found keeping SR3 was fine, but SR4 is something that must be "fixed".

I agree with you, the new rules are much better. It´s pure bennefit that you can trace the reason why someone is good to either aptitude or skill. If the dragracer in my example above would choose to stick all his points into attributes anyway, I could make it so that it had concequences for him by enterpreting what that would represent. If he was driving all that time just by having a gift for it, and not learning anything in the process, he would seem pretty clueless when asked about the technicalities, for example. I do not concider this house ruling, because difficulties are subject to GM fiat.
nezumi
QUOTE (blakkie)
I read to the end. I comprehended. I shortened the quote text for brievity (should have done a <snip> i guess EDIT: there, fixed it for you). I then asked a question to clarify what you were implying before i pointed out you are a moron for not realizing that modern highlevel languages have reference manuals built into their programming environment, or expecting that to change any time in the next 65 years. Epecially when a commlink is assumed to have effectively unlimited memory storage.

Had you said that my original assumption was invalid to begin with, rather then asking a question I already answered, I could have addressed that originally.

On top of that, your response is still incomplete. Generally speaking, the APIs included with programming languages are horrible. They're written by programmers who know the language too well and who don't care to slow down for the likes of you. Java is the only language I've used with an API I've found easy and quick to navigate. Perhaps this is just my personal preference (and a lack of my 'logic' skill), but I never use the Unix help files if I can avoid it, and when I have a perl question I google it before I look at the stuff included with the interpreter.

Assuming there IS a reasonable API included, I've *STILL* addressed this. It's data search, not programming, that comes to the forefront, since you're wading through this huge document with a specific question.

If you were sitting down and cracking a book to learn the language from start to end, programming would be a good complementary skill with whatever (if any) skill is used to generally learn stuff.

If you are searching for instructions on how to do a particular task in an unfamiliar language, data search and general logic would be most useful with, again, programming as a complementary skill (this is assuming it's not very similar languages like C++ and pascal, but rather C++ and assembly).

If you are coding by the seat of your pants in a language similar to one you know, but with no reference materials available, programming skill is most appropriate. Similarly, if you are reading code in a language you're not familiar with, programming or logic would be most useful.

If you are programming by the seat of your pants in a language you're not familiar with and unrelated to one you know, with no reference materials available, you'd roll your luck, because you'll need an awful lot of monkeys on an awful lot of typewriters to 'guess' how to take advantage of an exploit when you can't even find the keywords.
Hell Hound
QUOTE (blakkie)
...under SR3 the Attributes actually ment two totally different things. At times they were actual physical abilities/properties...  But then when a Skill was involved the physical abilities/properties of the Attribute dissappeared ...

I had no problem with this because Attributes in SR3 are a representation of raw power not learned abilities, something like soaking damage is a function of the body rather than something you can practice to get better at. A skill is going to be something learned and developed from training and experience.

Example;
I am bigger than about half the students of higher belts in the martial arts dojo where I train. I have greater brute strength, a reach advantage, and I meditate and stretch regularly to stay loose and supple to match their speed. What does all that raw potential mean?

If I took on any one of those higher Belts in a straight fight they could reduce me to a sad bloody pulp on the floor, probably without breaking a sweat. I could increase my exercise regime till I was physically on par with world class athletes and the situation would not change. Raw talent without the knowledge of how to apply it is next to useless.

I will not try to argue that SR3's mechanic is 'better' than SR4's or vice versa, such an argument would be totally subjective and thus pointless. I don't have a problem with the Attribute+Skill mechanic, however I believe that there should be some way to keep a character with great raw talent but little training from matching or surpassing a character with good training but less raw talent.

QUOTE (blakkie)
Here HH tosses out the red herring of setting the Attribute to 1. This ignores the question of what happened to the difference of that extra physical abilities/properties between 2 and 10 when it came time to actually do something. Instead it is only there in an abstract, and extremely distant way.

This wasn't meant as a Red Herring, I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

A character with a linked attribute of 10 will pay less for increasing a skill to, say, rating 8 than a character with a linked attribute of 2. Assuming both are dedicated to improving that skill the character with the attribute of 10 will get there first. For me that was enough of an advantage for high attribute characters. Just because you have high attributes I don't think you should start up near the level of a grand master.

QUOTE (blakkie)
But wait, the difference that is totally and utterly overshadowed when the Skill is used suddenly shows up again in that exact same Skill test when you Default to the Attribute...

The defaulting rules I never liked and avoided using them wherever possible (by encouraging players not to default to attributes).
blakkie
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 29 2005, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 28 2005, 07:32 PM)
I read to the end. I comprehended. I shortened the quote text for brievity (should have done a <snip> i guess EDIT: there, fixed it for you).  I then asked a question to clarify what you were implying before i pointed out you are a moron for not realizing that modern highlevel languages have reference manuals built into their programming environment, or expecting that to change any time in the next 65 years. Epecially when a commlink is assumed to have effectively unlimited memory storage.

Had you said that my original assumption was invalid to begin with, rather then asking a question I already answered, I could have addressed that originally.

As i've already pointed out i was being nice giving you the benefit of the doubt, and a chance to clarify. My bad. embarrassed.gif Of course in your last post you were also free to expand on why you'd make such an assumption, so save me the "well i could have shown why this is so if you had only asked". Doubly so because you haven't. Triply so because the extra posts don't even really matter.

On top of that, your response is still incomplete.  <snipped a more vebose version of Kag's post>

Yes, my responses have been incomplete up until now. I should have included that if you decided to be a complete prat of a GM you can start having a cascade of checks being rolled and/or modifiers based on common practices tools and actions instead of realizing that accessing and reading a help information and reference manual, the data which is generally structured specificially for searching, is a normal part of programming.

If you are programming by the seat of your pants in a language you're not familiar with and unrelated to one you know, with no reference materials available, you'd roll your luck, because you'll need an awful lot of monkeys on an awful lot of typewriters to 'guess' how to take advantage of an exploit when you can't even find the keywords.

You should actually have them rolling a Calligraphy check. Because with the pervasiveness of information in digital format in the 6th world, including spell formula for crying out loud, said programmer seems most likely to be using a charred stick to scribble on the back of a piece of birch bark. wobble.gif
6thDragon
I have come to a conclusion regarding SR4's karma system. Even though the SR4 system recommends giving less karma per run by neglecting the "threat" karma from previous editions and they have made the costs of improving attributes go up as well they have made up for it in another area. They have made that one point slightly more valuable. Because there are attribute caps and the cost of attributes have increased the average runner will not max out them all. In most groups I played with the average character has maxed out the attributes that apply to him. Look at your SR3 characters and honestly how many of your mages have at least the willpower maxed out, and probably the intelligence too, and even the charisma if they conjure or plan on getting into astral combat. How many sami's have their Body, and strength maxed out? They probably also have the quickness and intelligence maxed out too for the reactions effects. They probably even have the willpower maxed out for the combat pool and to resist mana spells. In SR3 everything depended on your attributes. So far SR4 doesn't look nearly so extreme. Also, the need to have your skills maxed out wasn't so severe. Think of the hardship of learning a new skill, especially if it was a melee combat skill. If you have the skill at 1 through 3 you would probably get your ass kicked. Now a little natural talent is evident in the attribute+skill development. All in all I think the changes aren't that bad. Even if you have to work a little harder to earn that one point increase in a skill or attribute I think it will be worth more.
blakkie
QUOTE (Hell Hound @ Aug 29 2005, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
...under SR3 the Attributes actually ment two totally different things. At times they were actual physical abilities/properties...  But then when a Skill was involved the physical abilities/properties of the Attribute dissappeared ...

I had no problem with this because Attributes in SR3 are a representation of raw power not learned abilities, something like soaking damage is a function of the body rather than something you can practice to get better at. A skill is going to be something learned and developed from training and experience.

Example;
<snip>

Still missing it here. But that is fine.

I will not try to argue that SR3's mechanic is 'better' than SR4's or vice versa, such an argument would be totally subjective and thus pointless.

I see them as different trade-off choices of the same dilema, accurate modeling vs. ease of playing. The real problem SR4 with Attr+Skill is i think we precive RealLife™ ability as Skill*Attribute. If the dice pool were given as Skill*Attribute i think people would have a lot less problems with the model, as Attr (3) and Skill(3) is much better than a Attr (1) Skill (5) or Attr (5) Skill (1). Although they might take issue with actually play that way. For starters 6*6 is a lot of base dice to start from. smile.gif

I don't have a problem with the Attribute+Skill mechanic, however I believe that there should be some way to keep a character with great raw talent but little training from matching or surpassing a character with good training but less raw talent.

There actually is, but apparently only in relatively limited ways.

But i still see in your examples a mindset about where the line lies between Attribute and Skill that isn't quite what SR4 treats them as. As you go up in belts you aren't just picking up Skill, you are picking up what is effectively SR4 Attribute as you rise. Surely there is reason for that endurance aspect to your classes? Besides the instructor being a sadist. wink.gif Endurance that is immediately applicable to many other tasks that arent' directly related. For example take a person from your class that over time has developed a keen sense of the extents of her body, ability to control your body quickly and precisely (feet for example), impressive endurance, and strong muscles (especially legs in this case).

Now walk them out on the soccer field for the first time against moderately experienced pudgies that have let their fitness slip and watch the fit, coordinated person hang with the others as they use their "raw talent" of being able to run down balls and counter dribbling with quick reactions. A thing of beauty to watch? At times ugly as sin to see raw 'hussle' tops out finnese. At other times funny as hell to see kung-fu boi with left standing with the figurative shorts around the ankles.

The defaulting rules I never liked and avoided using them wherever possible (by encouraging players not to default to attributes).

Yes, but there they are in the book. Laughing in your face, contradicting the other SR3 use of Attributes. wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (blakkie)
Of course in your last post you were also free to expand on why you'd make such an assumption, so save me the "well i could have shown why this is so if you had only asked". Doubly so because you haven't.

Do you have another question that I haven't answered? Are you asking why I'd make such an assumption that the API was poor or unavailable? I did actually include THAT in my example as well, if you read back.

You should actually have them rolling a Calligraphy check. Because with the pervasiveness of information in digital format in the 6th world, including spell formula for crying out loud, said programmer seems most likely to be using a charred stick to scribble on the back of a piece of birch bark.  wobble.gif

Do you code professionally? I don't mean for school, but professionally? Especially in a situation in which you're not supposed to be on the system in question? Do you know how buffer overflow errors work? Do you know how flaws are generally exploited?

If you are hacking into a secure system, the system will likely NOT tell you the OS or the language its coded in. You certainly shouldn't have access to the APIs loaded on the system in question. If it's a custom made application (we use several here), you are not going to know the commands or keywords either.

Example, you are in the MIDDLE of a Mitsuhama facility breaking into a secure system. You have been informed there's a buffer overflow error in the Login Name field of one of the systems on their computers. You do not have internet access (it's a secure area). You do not know assembly. Quick, what do you input?? Do you go to Mitsuhama PayDay™ - Help - About PayDay and look for 'how to exploit vulnerabilities'? Do you check on the financial person's desktop for 'Assembly for Dummies'?

If you don't know the language in question, you tell your buddy 'sorry, I can't do this. I don't know this language'.

Of course, that's also a difference between REAL hacking and SR hacking, since decking has always been a bit too fast and unrealistic. Truthfully, decking should take as much planning and recon as a run.
Kagetenshi
Defaulting to attributes is appropriate. It's possible, but overwhelmingly overshadowed by skill (even in small quantities).

~J
Dawnshadow
Defaulting to attributes is like someone who's got a very very basic idea on how to use a pistol just going 'frag it' and doing what he thinks he should, because not everything makes sense together yet.

Skill 1: He knows the steps, but he's having trouble with the order, aiming, just in general.

Default to attribute: He just points and pulls the trigger, doesn't try thinking about sighting, all that. He's probably got all sorts of 'errors' in the technique, but he's got a better chance then confusing himself trying to remember the proper technique.
blakkie
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 29 2005, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 29 2005, 11:41 AM)
Of course in your last post you were also free to expand on why you'd make such an assumption, so save me the "well i could have shown why this is so if you had only asked". Doubly so because you haven't.

Do you have another question that I haven't answered? Are you asking why I'd make such an assumption that the API was poor or unavailable? I did actually include THAT in my example as well, if you read back.

You've come up with basically "well you could find and use a relatively antiquated programming evironment that didn't have an online reference manual". Which as i said is a repeat of what Kag said. What you haven't explain is WTF this would occur in a computer savy society with a highly prevalent, highlevel language. Instead you gave were examples of there being referece manuals available, and but that you personally had difficulty groking some of them, and sometimes using different reference sources.

That isn't "addressing" things, that's more like agreeing with me.

You should actually have them rolling a Calligraphy check. Because with the pervasiveness of information in digital format in the 6th world, including spell formula for crying out loud, said programmer seems most likely to be using a charred stick to scribble on the back of a piece of birch bark.  wobble.gif

Do you code professionally? I don't mean for school, but professionally? Especially in a situation in which you're not supposed to be on the system in question? Do you know how buffer overflow errors work? Do you know how flaws are generally exploited?

Since you ask, yes professionally. Rest assured if i posted exerts from my resume the Ego Police would be hounding me again claiming self-promotion and dick swinging. smile.gif The other parts....well never illegally, but involved in that sort of stuff yes.
Ego Police
QUOTE (blakkie)
Since you ask, yes professionally. Rest assured if i posted exerts from my resume the Ego Police would be hounding me again claiming self-promotion and dick swinging. smile.gif The other parts....well never illegally, but involved in that sort of stuff yes.

Sir, remove your hands slowly from your keyboard and place them over your head.

You are in violation of Modesty Code 2047.B: "Bragging that you're so good you can't even say how good you are."

Anything you have said can and will be used against you in a forum of law.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ego Police @ Aug 29 2005, 09:38 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 29 2005, 01:27 PM)
Since you ask, yes professionally. Rest assured if i posted exerts from my resume the Ego Police would be hounding me again claiming self-promotion and dick swinging. smile.gif  The other parts....well never illegally, but involved in that sort of stuff yes.

Sir, remove your hands slowly from your keyboard and place them over your head.

You are in violation of Modesty Code 2047.B: "Bragging that you're so good you can't even say how good you are."

Anything you have said can and will be used against you in a forum of law.

See what i mean. eek.gif

You'll never take me alive, copper! cyber.gif
Cain
QUOTE ("Nezumi")

Not to be rude, but do you have any programming experience?

Very little. I learned BASIC back in the early 80's or so, and didn't do much with it in the intervening 20+ years.

But, when I started to learn HTML, the basics of BASIC came in real handy. I could easily look at a section of HTML code, and see what went where-- the commands might be different, but the organization of the code is similar enough for me to start piecing things together. Sure, I had "reference materials" and "sample code"-- but less than a page of each, and I was able to scratch-build web pages on my first try. I also have a friend who not only dissected the code for VISE installer software on his first try, he wrote a choose-your-own-adventure game for it-- and he didn't have anything but the code he took apart.

My friend the ex-Microsoft BIOS programmer says that all languages are fundamentally the same; and that once you learn one, you've pretty much got the basics of the rest. I'm not an expert, so I can't contradict him.

But anyway, I think I didn't make my point clearly enough. Under an abstract system, such as the one presented in Shadowrun, a skill of 1 would give equal familiarity in all languages. If I went to a community college and took a beginners course in programming-- the equivalent of a skill of 1-- they'd introduce me to several languages: probably Java, Visual Basic, and maybe C. So, a low skill doesn't assume a lack of knowledge in certain areas-- it assumes a lack of depth.
Bigity
Microsoft makes BIOS software?
nezumi
Blackkie, it's funny how you read my post yet seemed to avoid the examples you complain I'm lacking. Twice now I've specifically addressed your problem.

But the ego police was cute.
blakkie
QUOTE (nezumi)
Blackkie, it's funny how you read my post yet seemed to avoid the examples you complain I'm lacking. Twice now I've specifically addressed your problem.

The examples you have given me so far have been of reference materials (multiple in some cases) available in electronic form. That you don't like them, or that you don't have the mental capacity to use them is pretty much irrelavent to:

hobgoblin
QUOTE (Cain)
My friend the ex-Microsoft BIOS programmer says that all languages are fundamentally the same; and that once you learn one, you've pretty much got the basics of the rest. I'm not an expert, so I can't contradict him.

im guessing that he worked for microsoft before and now programs BIOS code wink.gif

anyways, im no expert either but this echoes my experience.

all code is in essence a list of commands that the cpu is supposed to do in sequence.
stuff like object oriented and inheritence is just a advanced version of a goto command nyahnyah.gif

basicly your just putting a set of commands into a box with a nice label and some open holes for data plumbing. then when a diffrent bit of code inherits said code your basicly putting the old box into a new box and installing even more plumbing wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (nezumi)
Now assume you've found out in advance that the login for a program has a buffer overflow error, and you need to hack the system by putting in assembly code directly into the buffer, but you've never programmed or read assembly before and you have no examples to go off of! In this case, being just as good with your 1 skill in programming makes absolutely no sense. You simply don't have the skill and have nothing to draw on.

And a little more expanded:

QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 29 2005, 12:54 PM)
If you are hacking into a secure system, the system will likely NOT tell you the OS or the language its coded in.  You certainly shouldn't have access to the APIs loaded on the system in question.  If it's a custom made application (we use several here), you are not going to know the commands or keywords either. 

Example, you are in the MIDDLE of a Mitsuhama facility breaking into a secure system.  You have been informed there's a buffer overflow error in the Login Name field of one of the systems on their computers.  You do not have internet access (it's a secure area).  You do not know assembly.  Quick, what do you input??  Do you go to Mitsuhama PayDay™ - Help - About PayDay and look for 'how to exploit vulnerabilities'?  Do you check on the financial person's desktop for 'Assembly for Dummies'?

If you don't know the language in question, you tell your buddy 'sorry, I can't do this.  I don't know this language'.

blakkie
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 30 2005, 06:51 AM)
My friend the ex-Microsoft BIOS programmer says that all languages are fundamentally the same; and that once you learn one, you've pretty much got the basics of the rest.  I'm not an expert, so I can't contradict him.

im guessing that he worked for microsoft before and now programs BIOS code wink.gif

anyways, im no expert either but this echoes my experience.

all code is in essence a list of commands that the cpu is supposed to do in sequence.
stuff like object oriented and inheritence is just a advanced version of a goto command nyahnyah.gif

basicly your just putting a set of commands into a box with a nice label and some open holes for data plumbing. then when a diffrent bit of code inherits said code your basicly putting the old box into a new box and installing even more plumbing wink.gif

It's all ones and zeros....unless you are on Federation starship, then apparently it is twos, ones, and zeros.
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Nezumi)
Example, you are in the MIDDLE of a Mitsuhama facility breaking into a secure system.  You have been informed there's a buffer overflow error in the Login Name field of one of the systems on their computers.  You do not have internet access (it's a secure area).  You do not know assembly.  Quick, what do you input??  Do you go to Mitsuhama PayDay™ - Help - About PayDay and look for 'how to exploit vulnerabilities'?  Do you check on the financial person's desktop for 'Assembly for Dummies'?

If you don't know the language in question, you tell your buddy 'sorry, I can't do this.  I don't know this language'.

There are 2 components to an SR4 test: Attribute and Skill. For this specific test, we'd use, what, Logic + Hacking? If your Hacking skill was lacking ("I just don't know how to exploit this buffer overflow") then the Logic attribute could possible compensate ("hey, maybe I can log in as the finance guy instead, using his kid's name as a password!"). As they say in Perl, TMTOWTDI ("There's More Than One Way To Do It").
blakkie
Neither of which actually deals with my question...but sure i'll comment on these....

QUOTE (nezumi)
Now assume you've found out in advance that the login for a program has a buffer overflow error, and you need to hack the system by putting in assembly code directly into the buffer, but you've never programmed or read assembly before and you have no examples to go off of! In this case, being just as good with your 1 skill in programming makes absolutely no sense. You simply don't have the skill and have nothing to draw on.

You know this in advance and you don't have the reference manual with you? Why? Further exactly how is the >1 skill programmer that doesn't have prior experience with said language or a reference manual going to swing this?

QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 29 2005, 12:54 PM)
If you are hacking into a secure system, the system will likely NOT tell you the OS or the language its coded in.  You certainly shouldn't have access to the APIs loaded on the system in question.  If it's a custom made application (we use several here), you are not going to know the commands or keywords either. 

Note: I was refering to RealLife™ examples, i didn't think you imagined these hypothetical senarios to have any real bearing. But hey, if this is the best ya got....

First the list of of dubious assumptions underlying your example:

1) Canon suggests that the Matrix runs on HoloLisp. The objects in it are constructed of this. If Hololisp constructed objects don't function on the system you want to break into your icon simply won't exist there. So until you can custom constuct an icon for this super secret environment (which once again is an issue at whatever skill level you are at) trying to get in is pointless because you can't even exist on the system.
2) The stuff about the API. You trying to use current terms and concepts within an 2070 system. This simply is not applicable. The API -is- exposed in a 2070 system, you interact with the system in a metaphor manner. So in a way a general intellect is even more applicable on 2070 system than contemporary environments.
3) Not having internet [Matrix?] access because you are [physically?] in a secure area doesn't really matter. Unless something happened to wipe the memory off your commlink (upon which you are hooped in more pressing ways) or you are a gonad that removed the standard reference manuals that came with the system or the Hacker tools you d/l off the Matrix before. A gonad to the same degree of a sammie that forgot to bring bullets for his firearms.
4) Refering to assembly language and buffer overflows is rather sketchy. To assume that the equivalent to buffer overflow in a 2070 system doesn't actually use Hololisp instead of assembly. But given a lack of canon information about it (other than it only mentions Hololisp for a language) *shrug* sure describe it that way.
5) So where did you find out about this buffer overflow? Is this going back to you knowing about it in advance? If so refer to the first example.

But let's say we ignore all those other problems with this senario. At the heart of it is still "You do not know assembly." Once again it doesn't matter if you have Skill 1 or Skill 7 with a +2 Specialization, you are still in a world of hurt.....which is why the game uses an abstract concept of Decking/Hacking so you don't have to micro-manage such rinky-dink details. All those details are hidden inside of things like assigning the colour level of the host (or i guess Firewall and that second rating in SR4?).
Kagetenshi
"Why do you shut your eyes?"

"So that the room will be empty."

Do you have any evidence that HoloLISP is interpreted rather than compiled, or any other reason to believe that your point #1 is at all relevant? Perhaps you're trying to say a different architecture instead, in which case the compiled code might indeed be unusuable—but it's still running on your machine, not the server. Perhaps you mean a different networking protocol?

I must say, that last post has either exposed that I need much more coffee today or that you have much less clue what you're talking about than previously surmised.

~J
blakkie
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 30 2005, 10:44 AM)
"Why do you shut your eyes?"

"So that the room will be empty."

Do you have any evidence that HoloLISP is interpreted rather than compiled, or any other reason to believe that your point #1 is at all relevant? Perhaps you're trying to say a different architecture instead, in which case the compiled code might indeed be unusuable—but it's still running on your machine, not the server.

I don't see any clear evidence either way on compiled vs. interpreted, and it doesn't really matter (see #4). I would expect that it is some sort of tokenized language. Which is to say compiled but not at the bare metal level, so it can execute independantly of underlying hardware as long as there is a layer on top that understands the tokens.

EDIT: Come to think of it SR3 has "compiling", right? So at the very least the programs are "complied", whether or you ever have interpreted stuff, or everything is automatically complied including things like searches isn't particularly clear.

Perhaps you mean a different networking protocol?

I don't know, ask nezumi WTF he was thinking about with the super secret system. I'm just trying to guess like you how the senario he describes would translate into a 2070 environment. smile.gif

However we do know your Matrix icon and programs exist at least partially on the host, if only as messages that come and go. I'm basing this on things implied from SR3 Decking, not having the #@$@$ SR4 PDF yet. <---- *stubtle hint to Adam wink.gif* How thick the icon is on the server side is a matter of interpretation, but it still remains whether you call it the architecture, message protocol, etc. your icon and programs at some point has to be able to interact with the system you want to be on. If they can't manipulate that environment to perform requested tasks (aka programming) you can't be on the system.

Also remember we are talking about a decendant of Lisp, which was originally built around the Actor Model, so in some ways the message is the code.

I must say, that last post has either exposed that I need much more coffee today or that you have much less clue what you're talking about than previously surmised.

Better put a pot on to brew. wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (blakkie)
Neither of which actually deals with my question...but sure i'll comment on these....

Then perhaps you should clarify my question, as requested, since apparently your last answer, that I didn't explain the situation, wasn't your real question.

You know this in advance and you don't have the reference manual with you? Why?

Perhaps because you weren't told ahead of time the nature of the application you'd be dealing with? Maybe your information was incomplete or falsified, as just sometimes happens on a shadowrun? Perhaps this is a custom language/metalanguage that doesn't publish its material publicly if possible?

Further exactly how is the >1 skill programmer that doesn't have prior experience with said language or a reference manual going to swing this?

I think that's the point of my question. How WOULD they manage this? Well, probably they wouldn't.

Note: I was refering to RealLife™ examples, i didn't think you imagined these hypothetical senarios to have any real bearing. But hey, if this is the best ya got....

Funny, it seems pretty accurate to real life from my stand point, as an assistant to my agency's Information Systems Security Program Manager. But that might just be me. However, considering you later complain that I'm using a 2005 standpoint to deal with a 2070 problem, perhaps it isn'y RealLife tm that's the problem, but rather PretendLife tm that I'm lacking (and I will fully admit to that. Most people knowledgable about information security have not been completely satisfied with SR hacking since its inception.)

1) Canon suggests that the Matrix runs on HoloLisp. The objects in it are constructed of this.  If Hololisp constructed objects don't function on the system you want to break into your icon simply won't exist there. So until you can custom constuct an icon for this super secret environment (which once again is an issue at whatever skill level you are at) trying to get in is pointless because you can't even exist on the system.

I was under the impression I made it fairly clear this wasn't in the matrix, but rather a custom Mitsuhama system. Hence, Hololisp is likely NOT the language used. From a VR point of view, however, this is a question of network protocols. It has absolutely nothing to do with the language. That's why sometimes something written in C++ can talk with something in Java without blowing up, and why we can have web pages that use HTML, perl, java or what-have you and all play together nicely.

Really, the language has nothing to do with that. The language *WILL* have to do with the internal protocols to the VR system in particular, which is why a website thats written completely in perl will most certainly not share any identical vulnerabilities to one in Java. They're not the same site. Just because two login boxes look identical doesn't mean they work identically (which is why one might have a buffer overflow vulnerability and the other one won't, and why the hack to take advantage of one will have no effect on another. This is also why finding out the OS of a web server is of such importance to a hacker.)

2) The stuff about the API. You trying to use current terms and concepts within an 2070 system. This simply is not applicable. The API -is- exposed in a 2070 system, you interact with the system in a metaphor manner. So in a way a general intellect is even more applicable on 2070 system than contemporary environments.

That's true, I do use 2005 understandings for 2070. I don't have the SR4 book either. However, I've never seen anything in SR3 (or SR2) indicating that the API is publicly available on every system. The metaphor is NOT the API.

Remember, the API isn't the user guide to the final application. It doesn't tell you to click File - Save to save yoru document. It's the programmer's guide to the modules and functions within the application. No super secret facility is going to advertise what language their system is made in, they're definitely not going to leave a list of the custom made functions and procedures around. This will be stored in a secure facility. If you'd like a modern example, NIST requires that every government system that undergoes C&A creates a System Feature User's Guide, which is just a guide on how to use the system. It is a requirement that this not be publicly available, unless necessary. Certainly the 'how this was made' information will be better hidden.

3) Not having internet [Matrix?] access because you are [physically?] in a secure area doesn't really matter. Unless something happened to wipe the memory off your commlink (upon which you are hooped in more pressing ways) or you are a gonad that removed the standard reference manuals that came with the system or the Hacker tools you d/l off the Matrix before. A gonad to the same degree of a sammie that forgot to bring bullets for his firearms.

Explanation? I suppose if you mean 'you should've done your research', well, you're right. This is what separates a professional from not. But I covered this earlier, sometimes you'll find yourself in situations that you haven't had time to do your footwork.

4) Refering to assembly language and buffer overflows is rather sketchy. To assume that the equivalent to buffer overflow in a 2070 system doesn't actually use Hololisp instead of assembly. But given a lack of canon information about it (other than it only mentions Hololisp for a language) *shrug* sure describe it that way.

I covered this already, and as Kage pointed out, you assumed the HoloLisp is interpreted and not compiled.

5) So where did you find out about this buffer overflow? Is this going back to you knowing about it in advance? If so refer to the first example.

And I refer back as well. Where do runners normally get their information from? A shady Johnson, shaky contacts, quick scouting. That normally leads to shaky, incomplete and oftentimes simply wrong information. But really, that's not the important part. The situation CAN come up. The group is ambushed. The parameters shift. Whatever. Sometimes you need to be able to adlib.

At the heart of it is still "You do not know assembly." Once again it doesn't matter if you have Skill 1 or Skill 7 with a +2 Specialization, you are still in a world of hurt.....which is why the game uses an abstract concept of Decking/Hacking so you don't have to micro-manage such rinky-dink details. All those details are hidden inside of things like assigning the colour level of the host (or i guess Firewall and that second rating in SR4?).

Yes, I agree. But I wasn't the one who originally brought up the idea of different programming languages in regards to defaulting, am I? I'm simply correcting an error people were propogating in using languages as an example.
blakkie
QUOTE (nezumi @ Aug 30 2005, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Aug 30 2005, 11:41 AM)

Then perhaps you should clarify my question, as requested, since apparently your last answer, that I didn't explain the situation, wasn't your real question.

I think we found the source of the problem with the Unix reference material. Both those examples you gave are talking about a lack of "assembly language" reference manuals, which i'd slot in neither the Hololisp nor even a high level language catagory.

EDIT: Unless you are talking about the API thing? Upon which, yes i'd say that your lack of wrapping your head around the PretendLife™ is indeed causing you problems. The metaphor is indeed (at least part of) the API to the system, that's how you interact with the system when you Deck.

Unfortunately your post goes downhill from there, bottoming out somewhere around you name dropping about being a Head Jockstrap Holder & Coffee Brewer. rotfl.gif So to save time and space i'll just skip to the end....

QUOTE (Head Jockstrap Holder & Coffee Brewer)

QUOTE (blakkie)
At the heart of it is still "You do not know assembly." Once again it doesn't matter if you have Skill 1 or Skill 7 with a +2 Specialization, you are still in a world of hurt.....which is why the game uses an abstract concept of Decking/Hacking so you don't have to micro-manage such rinky-dink details. All those details are hidden inside of things like assigning the colour level of the host (or i guess Firewall and that second rating in SR4?).

Yes, I agree. But I wasn't the one who originally brought up the idea of different programming languages in regards to defaulting, am I? I'm simply correcting an error people were propogating in using languages as an example.

Not sure who brought up Defaulting. I don't believe it was me, and i don't think it matters much. However i must say you certainly are helping make the case for Defaulting.

Abstracted into the SR Skill system includes the -chance- that whatever the must do to subvert/control the system to do what they want requires information that is missing from, or the Hacker is not able to extractable from their reference materials and personal memories. The more personal memories the lower the chance that both those conditions occur, and this is respresented in the game mechanic by having more dice the more personal memories they have. However since both conditions must occur to stop you, and if you (as a member of the general public in regards to whereever you are breaking into) can have a personal memory of something then it is something that theoretically could have been put into reference material available to the general public (as defined by people not in the company you are breaking into). So therefore if any member of the public Hacker has any chance at all of getting in and getting the task done, then there is a chance that the info is there in the reference material for use by the uninitiated.
Rotbart van Dainig
As Hacking is done with Hacking+Program - is there even the possibility to default?
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Aug 30 2005, 12:35 PM)
As Hacking is done with Hacking+Program - is there even the possibility to default?

Good point there, the SR4 rules might forbid it or just leave it up to the GM like the rest of the skills. However if allowing Defaulting to Program it would be analogous to running a kiddie script.
hahnsoo
If you don't have a Hacking skill, you can still just let the program run by itself (the script kiddies, as stated before). If you don't have the program, you can't do the action, period. I suppose a generous GM would allow someone to come up with a program on the fly if you had an hour of time and a Software skill, but you certainly can't crack a device without an Exploit program or command a device without either a Command program or legal access (which doesn't need a Command program). Note that this is one of the main advantages of being a Technomancer, as you can use Threading to whip up Complex Forms that you don't already have.

Also, a program is only necessary for actions that require a program. Doing specific actions on specific devices that do not require programs uses a Hacking + Logic roll as usual, and thus can be defaulted. Hardware, Software, and Electronic Warfare are three skills that CANNOT be defaulted according to the skill list.
blakkie
QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Aug 30 2005, 12:50 PM)
Also, a program is only necessary for actions that require a program.  Doing specific actions on specific devices that do not require programs uses a Hacking + Logic roll as usual, and thus can be defaulted.  Hardware, Software, and Electronic Warfare are three skills that CANNOT be defaulted according to the skill list.

What other skills are barred from Defaulting, as opposed to GM choice as whether or not to allow Defaulting?

EDIT: And do you have to hunt through the description for each skill to know about the Defaulting options, or is it in a nice handy list somewhere?
hahnsoo
QUOTE (blakkie)
What other skills are barred from Defaulting, as opposed to GM choice as whether or not to allow Defaulting?

EDIT: And do you have to hunt through the description for each skill to know about the Defaulting options, or is it in a nice handy list somewhere?

Mostly Piloting, Mechanical, or Magical skills. The list is on page 111, with the italicized skills being barred from defaulting.
nezumi
QUOTE (blakkie)
EDIT: Unless you are talking about the API thing? Upon which, yes i'd say that your lack of wrapping your head around the PretendLife™ is indeed causing you problems. The metaphor is indeed (at least part of) the API to the system, that's how you interact with the system when you Deck.

Truly? The API relates to how to use the resulting program? Well then, perhaps you can tell me how you would use this:

Java API to properly use this:
Super driving car game!! or how an understanding on how to operate the latter in any way translates into knowledge of the former.

I never did say that you in particular used languages in regards to defaulting. I truthfully don't recollect who started it. My statement was simply that someone used it as an example, and I am correcting that. And in doing so, I'm agreeing with your final point, the rules are abstract. You can't say 'I know C, giving me hacking 1, ergo I can hack this perl script'. At least not without the conditions I've previously written out. Whether this is a flaw or not in the system, which seemed to be the point of the original debate, is up to the individual player. I personally prefer it that way, as it keeps thing simple, even if it costs a degree of realism.

Considering you've not brought up any other complaints, except to fling mud, I suppose I have nothing else to add.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Also, a program is only necessary for actions that require a program. Doing specific actions on specific devices that do not require programs uses a Hacking + Logic roll as usual, and thus can be defaulted. Hardware, Software, and Electronic Warfare are three skills that CANNOT be defaulted according to the skill list.

sounds a lot like fireing up a unfamilar app and winging it by looking at button labels and trying the logical thing nyahnyah.gif

ie, crack the access of someones comlink, get the AR gui for it and then trying to figure out how to access the person addressbook files to look for the matrix address and access codes for a escort service wink.gif
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Hell Hound @ Aug 29 2005, 09:51 AM)

If I took on any one of those higher Belts in a straight fight they could reduce me to a sad bloody pulp on the floor, probably without breaking a sweat. I could increase my exercise regime till I was physically on par with world class athletes and the situation would not change. Raw talent without the knowledge of how to apply it is next to useless.

Raw talent has been trumping mediocrity for eternity. It's against the elite that it breaks down. In SR4 terms:

Stat:6 trumps Stat:2+Skill:3 but Stat:6 gets whooped by Stat:3+Skill:6.

Unless you're a hacker in which case only your skill and hardware matter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012