Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contacts forever
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Talia Invierno
Following up on this entry from a different thread (which answers a post earlier in that same thread):
It does not matter whether you play your contacts as reasonably intelligent or not. There are no rules for that. Or rather even if you do pull the same stunt each time every time, unless you screw up your roll, they will never realise the fact. You still have them as a contact. Game mechanically, you still get to talk to them. As much as you would like to have a "perimeter" set up, the NPC will still talk to the PC anyway as long as the player did pay "upkeep" for the contact. You may make the PC lose the NPC as a contact if he does not upkeep but that is as far as it goes in terms of rules.
- toturi

This statement would seem to imply that in strict canon, the only possible way to lose a contact is to fail to pay their upkeep costs; and further that contacts will always be willing to talk to the PC.

I don't agree. To use a strict canon example, I don't think what's implied in "Hung Out To Dry" is solely having failed to pay upkeep. (Most of the rest of my points were in the linked post anyway.) But I'll toss it out to the boards as a whole:

As long as you pay their upkeep, do contacts remain contacts forever (or at least for the practical definition of "forever": the lifespan of the character or contact)?
toturi
With "Hung Out To Dry", your contacts do not talk to you. With "Bad Rep", you get penalties to your rolls with your contacts. But unless you started with them, whether you gain those Flaws during gameplay through roleplay is a matter of GM discretion. So barring any GM fiat that causes a PC to gain any such Flaws, yes, those contacts should be "forever" until the contact dies. (See Hunted Flaw for an example of an un-dying contact, although one that wants bad things to happen to you)
psykotisk_overlegen
Well, strictly canon i guess they do last forever as long as you pay upkeep and don't get any of the above mentioned flaws, but you can rest assured that this wouldn't be the case in my game. I'd have them react more like human beings, and I'm not as strict on the upkeep either, but this is me, and not canon.
Velocity
QUOTE (toturi)
You may make the PC lose the NPC as a contact if he does not upkeep but that is as far as it goes in terms of rules.

No offense intended, but this strikes me as literalism run amok. While I certainly don't support the actions of GMs who have Contacts betray and cheat PCs willy-nilly, NPC Contacts are clearly meant to be more than robotic vectors for GM-PC communications.

I foresee this boiling down to yet another 'roll-versus-role' -play argument, but there's my 0.02 nuyen.gif
ShadowDragon8685
I'm inclined to say it depends on how you treat your contacts in general, and whether or not you've ever crossed a line on the contact in particular.

If you have a history of killing and cannabalizing your contacts, for example, not many people're gonna want to know you. In fact, some may hire Shadowrunners to pre-emptively geek you before you eat their organs with a nice chianti.

On the other hand, if you've got a history for looking out for your Contacts, and going above and beyond for them, they may be willing to remain your friends, even if you do something that would otherwise make them hate you, like say taking a Shadowrun against their company.
Ryu
Contact upkeep of some form is required to keep said contact. You either roleplay something or pay the price. That does not make the reversal true. If you pay upkeep and mistreat him in whatever way, you might be gone from HIS contact list.

So it is "as long as you donīt cross the line". "Our lives donīt vibe any longer" should only happen as part of a story arc. Enough of that in real life, already.
Conskill
Contacts are far from forever in my games. Contact Loss happens three ways in them:

1) Human reaction. If you betray your contact, he's not going to take your calls for much longer.

2) Sane limit of Usefulness. If the PC uses a contact in a logical but run or sanity breaking way that might be repeated, I'll roll with it. However, the contact will conveniently be ran over / arrested / crushed in a freak air-cargo accident soon after.

3) Plot fodder. Contacts make excellent fodder for world-scope things to have an impact on the characters. PCs don't really react to hearing about a serial killer on the trideo, but that changes when a contact gets stabbed. Evil charismatic cult leader recruiting? Passe, until I scan through the contact lists and choose which one gives a PC a call and invites him to experience the joy of universal brotherhood.
hermit
I personally think the contact upkeep rles are purest, oozing shit. They're a nice way to make roll-players realise contacts are more than numbers to call when you need something, but really, contacts should be maintained through roleplay, not paying them money. I especially dislike the progressive cost of contacts when you get more friendly with them. My main characters' boy- and girlfriends (I play both sexes), for instance, are most of the time - technically - rated Level 3. That doesn't mean you have to shove that much money into them! I mean, okay, having a girlfriend DOES mean extra cost, but s far, I have yet to meet one that costs €20.000 and more per month. Even a marriage and a child cost less, and by SR rules, that would be two contacts (spouse and child), both rated level 3.

I'd prefer maintaining contacts through roleplaying (spending time with them, bringing them presents from runs, doing them favours on the side, and such things). Of course, this isn't always feasible in a running campaign, and sometimes, paying money (or, as I prefer, Karma) to maintain contacts in downtime, with a short description of what you intend to do (we handle this through emails to the GM and entries in a small forum) is just a better option. We also handle obtaining gear that way.

I still am opposed to the costs. Distant business contacts don't demand €5000 in payment monthly. Good friends (I can claim to have some) don't demand up to 20K. Those rules are highly unrealistic.

Having said that, should contacts remain forever no matter what? Depends on the contact really. I believe in working out contacts somewhat, give them a face and some personlity. That way, the GM can decide for each indivitdual contact how they react tio the runners' actions. Hey, a SK corp contact mnight completely break with the character if he, say, shoots Mr. Brackhaus point blank with a combat shotgun and urinates on the corpse (and does that while Lofwyr is watching via live feed), simply because even being seen as friendly with them could mean a one-time date with Lofwyr himself.
A fixer might want to sell the character to the dragon now (in SR4 terms, his friendship rating plunges to zero), though he will still talk to them, if only to inform them to never call again.
An AB+ contact might even sponataneously rise in level with the character reacting to the same thing, simply because he is in awe that the character had the balls to basically shit on old Loffy's head in such a cool and open way.

Similarily, a patriotic gunsmith would maybe not like the character any more if he helped a foreign government to kick the UCAS' ass good (datasteal that makes said government intercept and capture/kill a large scale commando force, think pigs' bay), but Ghost-Who-Walks (an avid hater of the White Man) might like this, especially if the commandos are caught in, say, Sioux territory.

All in all, contacts are people too and deserve to be treated as such. At least if you don't just want them as numbers to call if you want to obtain gear, hints, or quicksave the game before you defeat Metal Gear. wink.gif
Ryu
I understand event 3 to be part of a fully fleshed out campaign and appreciate when such things happen. It gets balanced out by occasional windfalls the players did nothing to deserve either.

Event 2 I got problems with. Contacts should be useful, and I donīt get the game breaking part (they did get GM approval, after all). Iīd rather make the player understand that he now owes a favour, and heīd better pay up.

How often do you give out new contacts / contact levels? Is upgrading a contact level always something the player has to initiate, or does Mr. J decide to be Level 2 after half a dozen perfect runs? If contacts can fade out, the players will need new ones to replace them.
hermit
In response to Conskill: I greatly despise GMs ditching contacts I gave my PC as a background for character development just because they need someone to be raped/killed. It is okay when my one man character's wife is abducted and raped/almost killed once. It gets old when this happens again. Especially if it's just because a GM thinks "hey, he's got a wife, what a brilliant way to tie in my brilliantly original hannibal lecter rip-off superhuman all-knowing on-GM-knowledge-acting megacorp exec super serial rapist/killer".

And I also heavily dislike GMs killing off any contact without a good plot reason. Just scanning down the list and saying "Hey dude, your char's level 3 fixer contact/love interest just got killed in that plane crash at the end of corp war" is sure to piss me off, especially if he does this just on the side.
Talia Invierno
On occasion, as a GM, plot has demanded of me that I kill off a PC's contact -- but it's never arbitrary, and if such a thing happens through no fault of their own, I usually also set up that plot such that a replacement contact of something approximating equivalent "value" can be acquired by the PC.

Level 3 contacts (and even to some extent level 2) are on a different scale again. the way I run it, anything involving them had fragging well better be the driving story for that entire campaign arc. Anything less, and I'd feel that I'm jerking the player around just because.
Conskill
Event 2 I got problems with. Contacts should be useful, and I donīt get the game breaking part (they did get GM approval, after all).

Some of my players delight in creating contrived situations where a seemingly harmless contact / special favor / obscure rule warps into something profane. It's a game-within-a-game to those people. Unfortunately, while I can appreicate the humor, it's not the game I'm playing.

When a player acts with the sort of mild malice that all munchkin acts carry, I chalk it up as a learning experience, make a note to be more restrictive with the next character, and remove the offending toy. We all make mistakes, and I would hate to kill the mood and focus of a campaign simply because I was unwilling to accept I made a mistake in approving a specific bit.

In response to Conskill: I greatly despise GMs ditching contacts I gave my PC as a background for character development just because they need someone to be raped/killed. It is okay when my one man character's wife is abducted and raped/almost killed once. It gets old when this happens again. Especially if it's just because a GM thinks "hey, he's got a wife, what a brilliant way to tie in my brilliantly original hannibal lecter rip-off superhuman all-knowing on-GM-knowledge-acting megacorp exec super serial rapist/killer".

Part of this is substance. My antagonists seem to be a bit more involved than the ones your GM uses, and I'd walk away from the table if someone (PC or GM) started acting out a rape fantasy.

The other part is style. I make it fairly clear to my players that nothing is sacred and that plot hooks exist for me to exploit. In my current campaign (which is strongly themed towards putting the PCs in morally ambiguious, no-clean-way-out situations) this is especially strong. Thankfully, my players understand that the well-being of their characters does not determine their enjoyment of the game.

Then again, I am the sort of person who's currently playing a Paladin in Ravenloft because the friction creates good drama, rather than because I think the character will survive to level 20 and win the game. Your milage may vary.

And I also heavily dislike GMs killing off any contact without a good plot reason.

I figure it should always serve a purpose, though it might not be assoicated with a direct plot point. Since this is collective storytelling instead of creative writing, plot is not everything. Especially in the start of a campaign, establishing mood and the feeling of being involved in an active, living world is just as important.
toturi
QUOTE (Conskill @ Aug 28 2005, 03:41 AM)
The other part is style. I make it fairly clear to my players that nothing is sacred and that plot hooks exist for me to exploit.

That is a good way to get PCs with no plot hooks for you to exploit.

Roleplay is a nebulous concept, what appeals as roleplay to you may not be roleplay to another. There are rules for social interaction(as a GM you may waive the rules for roleplay) and these are the only meaningful points we can discuss. The rules for social interaction are X which result in Y in you succeed and Z if you do not. For me, roll-play determines roleplay. X is the result of the roll, then you either roleplay it well or you roleplay it badly.
Conskill
QUOTE (toturi)
That is a good way to get PCs with no plot hooks for you to exploit.

That happens occasionally. Players who think like that usually don't last too long, however, before getting bored. While I may make it sound all evil and malicious, the goal is to give the character (and, by extention, the player) greater stakes in the fictional world than "You're hired by Mr. Johnson to hit a (1d10 on the Megacorp Table) facility and extract Dr. (percentile role on the Nerd Name table). The end." I'd like to think I usually succeed.

Carrots work too, though there's an odd tendancy in players to write up all these wonderful ways to screw with the character, but little to nothing on long-term goals.
shadow_scholar
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
As long as you pay their upkeep, do contacts remain contacts forever (or at least for the practical definition of "forever": the lifespan of the character or contact)?

No, check the Liar flaw, you can lose contacts that way really, really easily.

Beyond the flaws mentioned, you can totally lose a contact through roleplay. A player that screws over their contact probably won't have that contact to deal with the next game. Even if a player doesn't necessarily "screw over" the contact, maybe just gives out the wrong info, or affects the contact's rep by have a bad exchange with a Johnson, that will have an effect on how a contact responds to the PC. I see the shadows as a kind of quicksand. With normal quicksand you make one misstep you are toast, but with the ever shifting terrain of the shadows stepping in the right places becomes much more critical. In the shadows, trust is just a credstick away from being won or lost.
wagnern
I beleave that you payed to have them as a contact when the game began. As soon as you earn your first Karma its up to you.

I also believe a GM should not off a contact lightly, and when ever he does, it would be nice to fill the gap somehow. (your level 3 fixer old school chumer buddy is offed to progress a plotline, after you catch the Fragers who did it and advenge your friend, his son (who accompyned you on the run to get his father's killers) now looks to you as a mentor and takes up the family buisness)
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Conskill)
Carrots work too, though there's an odd tendancy in players to write up all these wonderful ways to screw with the character, but little to nothing on long-term goals.

Personal theory on that: players give you plot hooks based on what you use.

If you, as the GM, use plot hooks in both "carrot" and "frag me" versions, then later characters will add more plot hooks that are not just "Here's a free way to screw me over".

First characters I did had mostly "frag me" plot hooks in them. Throughout the game though, some of the other PC's plot hooks were used, that were "carrot". The next characters I made had more neutral plot hooks, a few "frag me" ones, and a few "carrots".

Examples:
-Amnesia and hunted, with a rough idea of when the hunting started, by whom, but not why.
-Two photographs that the ally spirit doesn't know anything about, one with the character and two men, one of just another man, that the ally spirit says she'd seen the character crying over before
-A former team of runners she'd been part of, from a year before her amnesia... that may or may not have any other survivors from a run that went so far into bad that 'drek hitting the fan' doesn't begin to cover it.
Wiz In Red
Hey, just because a person is actively trying to kill you doesn't mean they're not a contact, they're just not likely to be the first person you call for a favor...
Talia Invierno
What of the players who deliberately avoid any and all plot hooks of any kind into their characters (at least in part because they were so warned against them by others), and then find that there is no real reason for the character to engage on any level? especially if they also follow the rest of the board advice and don't create any reasons for personal survival to be of immediate concern?
Ryu
How can the players totally avoid giving you plot hooks if they have to give you a short description of their characters history? If some deliberatly avoid plot hooks, focus on those who donīt. If you want more of the later, use more "carrot" plot hooks. Power of "positive einforcement", activate.
Dawnshadow
QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
What of the players who deliberately avoid any and all plot hooks of any kind into their characters (at least in part because they were so warned against them by others), and then find that there is no real reason for the character to engage on any level? especially if they also follow the rest of the board advice and don't create any reasons for personal survival to be of immediate concern?

Falls under "getting what you give" (very broadly -- unfortunately you get caught in the universal 'good stuff, tell 1, bad stuff, tell 1000' phenomenon). Really, if you want good, in depth characters which more than just free ways to frag them up, and you're dealing with new players (to you as a GM), then you should sit down with them, and explain what you want.. and that you aren't going to just use backstory and plot hooks as evil twists, but that "good" plot hooks will also be used.
Mortax
I run all the PS's contacts just as I would any othe NPC. With some things, it does come down to a die roll. Others, it's strait Roleplaying. They all have a dwarven fixer for a contact. (Some he has become 2, other he is lvl 1) If any of them called him a fragging halfer and pointed a gun at him, there is a good chance he wouldn't answere there calls in the future.

Perhapse running the contacts like people and making them bail if things get bad enough is not cannon. But it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Edge2054
Once the game starts I use them as NPCs. Just because someone's written down on your character sheet doesn't mean they don't have a life beyond your character.

Set up a plotline involving a contact a few weeks ago that could have ended with the contact getting geeked. I gave the character the opportunity to see that that didn't happen and he pulled through. Granted, the whole situation came about because of a favor the character asked of his contact, something that did require him to stick his neck out a bit but it was a level 2 contact so figured that it could happen.

Another character screwed over a contact and has lost contact with him, thus losing the contact. If he wanted to try and track him down I'd give him a shot, but the contact isn't going to conveniently forget the PCs actions if he does. Hell the *contact* may even seek revenge in the future.

Point being, most contacts in my campaign serve as contacts, but they're people to and sometimes that's going to rear up.
Mercer
Personally, I say Contacts are Contacts forever, even if you don't pay the upkeep. My reasoning (if you can call it that) is as follows:

These people know you. Nothing you do will make them forget you (unless you cause them brain damage or wipe their memories). How you treat them and your history with them and your rep in general will influence how they act.

This may mean that your level 3 Buddy that you pay mad upkeep on will kill you on site if your negligence or malice caused the death of his child or spouse. For example.

Game mechanics should never take precedence over the story.

Edited for. grammar and sppeling.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012