Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting Question: DeeCee
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dracol1ch
Hi folks. I've been away from SR and RPGs in general for a few years while I was away from my old group on a job in Washington, DC. Now that I'm back with them and the new SR4 is comming out I'm being asked to GM a game. I'm toying with the idea of using the DeeCee sprawl as a setting. As I said, however, I've been a bit out of it for a while and I know I've probably missed some references etc in the various sourcebooks. I've read the Shadows of NA bit on DeeCee (more of a footnote really) but that's all I know. Anyone out there have any cannonical material I should add?

Another question about the area is that I read somewhere that CAS and UCAS split VA in half as a sort of buffer zone. All the maps I've looked at, however, seem to show all of VA as being in CAS. Anyone have an idea what is technically in CAS and what is in UCAS in that area? Is it Arlington only or something?

Obviously I'll be modifying the cannon if it doesn't fit my setting but I like to stick as close to it as possible.

Thanks for your help.
hahnsoo
Well, depends on how far back you want to go. pp 86 to 101 of NAGNA has a fair bit on the DeeCee Sprawl circa 2050. SoNA is probably your best bet for the most up-to-date information. There's precious little information on the Sixth World Wiki:
http://wiki.dumpshock.com/index.php/Washington_FDC

Virginia is all CAS as far as I know, but there was a rebellious faction that was trying to secede into North Virginia for a while (as a UCAS state). Details of this are quite unclear, but I think it was in a couple of the novels.
PBTHHHHT
From what I remember (which isn't much), I thought all of Arlington and Alexandria remained with UCAS, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not a larger chunk than that. It could easily go farther out, all the way to Dulles and and much farther south. Though not Quantico, the USMC remained with the CAS. I do wonder though about areas such as Woodbridge, less than an hour from DeeCee. But eh, this is from what I thought I remembered about reading.

I thought it was sticking point to the CAS gov't that Northern VA remained with UCAS.
FlakJacket
A map of the Virginia/North Virginia border and Federal District courtesy of Raygun, and Jon Szeto IIRC.
PBTHHHHT
Awesome! thanks for the map. Hmmm.. Yikes. so the UCAS do have Quantico. Ok, great training facilities then for the FBI still. lol.
FlakJacket
I don't think the map's canon canon, but it's as near to it as you can get without it appearing in one of the books or on the site.

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
I thought it was sticking point to the CAS gov't that Northern VA remained with UCAS.

The general explanation given was that the UCAS carved off the northern half of Virginia during the secession and created the new state as a buffer zone because they weren't all that comfortable with their capital being that close to the border otherwise. I figured they probably just traded off some goodies during the division of assets in exchange for it.

Depending on if you follow the novels and whether it's considered canon, the CAS - or at least factions within it like the DSI - supposedly tried to covertly retake the state in the 'Just Compensation' novel although I think SoNA tries to kind of sidestep the whole affair.
PBTHHHHT
Right, I remember reading that novel and how the group tangling up with some Marine Ferrets. Whatever happened to the fan sites that did some special focus on specific military units? I managed to find it once but there were so many broken links for many of the units.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Whatever happened to the fan sites that did some special focus on specific military units?  I managed to find it once but there were so many broken links for many of the units.

You probably mean the now defunct Shadowrun Military Site. But yeah, even before it closed for good a lot of the links were dead. I had some luck quite a while back poking around with a few of the Internet Archive type sites so you could always try that.

But back to business. The main sourcebooks with any information on Washington are Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America from closer the start of the game in 2055 and is fairly in-depth, Shadows of North America has a small two page update eight years later in 2063 but that's mostly taken up with the political parties IIRC, Portfolio of a Dragon introduces the Astral Rift, Target Awakened Lands has a half page update on it, the Underworld Sourcebook I think mentions who's head of the local Mafia and 'Ambassador' to the UCAS.

The novel Just Compensation as well but I'm not sure what its status is since it had that whole military coup d'etat, which was just a little too out there IMO.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
But back to business. The main sourcebooks with any information on Washington are Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America from closer the start of the game in 2055 and is fairly in-depth,

Which I just noticed is not available on DriveThru. argh! sarcastic.gif
Dracol1ch
Thanks for all the great info. The buffer zone in that map is a bit bigger than I had anticipated (Souty of Fredericksburg?) but that's very cool. I was planning on running the setting such that NE of the Potomac are tightly controlled and policed for governmental security reasons. So much so that I was going to maintain the ban on firearms for private citizens (not that it means there aren't any, its just bad to get caught with one). SW of the river, however, is a different story. As a buffer zone its a bit of a free trade zone with various goods from CAS and UCAS exchanging hands not to mention your standard run of the mill black markets. Of course, much of this is still guided and controlled by the politicians in DeeCee but hey, they've got vices too. It looks like according to the Wiki, however, FDC annexed all of Fairfax and Arlington which may make it a place with very few shadows... hrmm.

The point was to do something that isn't Seattle but that I've got enough personal knowledge of geography etc to make it playable for me as a GM.
nezumi
Sounds pretty good. Yeah, Neo-Anarchist's guide is *GREAT*. You might want to look on ebay. I don't think it'll be released for some time.

I always assumed NoVa was split off because Northern Virginia is completely different from the rest of the state. It really is like an extension of DC.

Alright, I don't have a lot to say that hasn't already been covered, but as I have my location listed as "DeeCee", I felt compelled to at least say 'hi'.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (nezumi)
Alright, I don't have a lot to say that hasn't already been covered, but as I have my location listed as "DeeCee", I felt compelled to at least say 'hi'.

Hi there, fellow DeeCee-er (or something like that)
What area do ye mainly run out of? I used to live in MD, but now I'm over by Tyson's corner.
nezumi
Jumped from Beltsville to Silver Spring (wooo! D area to C!) I'm trying to keep out of VA. Your side of the beltway is nuts.
Dracol1ch
QUOTE (nezumi)
Jumped from Beltsville to Silver Spring (wooo!  D area to C!)  I'm trying to keep out of VA.  Your side of the beltway is nuts.

No no no... you got it all wrong. VA is where it's at. 2 Years in Falls church and 3 in Arlington (Ballston). Whouldn't trade it for the world. Of course, I had to move out of DeeCee so that I could afford a house... but that's a different matter altogether.
Nath
An old "Shadows of DeeCee" DSF thread
SL James
QUOTE (Nath)
An old "Shadows of DeeCee" DSF thread

Jesus...
FlakJacket
QUOTE (SL James)
Jesus...

What elicited that repsonse? question.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (SL James)
Jesus...

Aye, what's wrong with that old thread. Reading it again was a blast since I had forgotten that I posted in there.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Whatever happened to the fan sites that did some special focus on specific military units?  I managed to find it once but there were so many broken links for many of the units.

You probably mean the now defunct Shadowrun Military Site. But yeah, even before it closed for good a lot of the links were dead. I had some luck quite a while back poking around with a few of the Internet Archive type sites so you could always try that.

And I was right. For anyone interested, the Shadowrun Military Site and a second smaller version but with a few extras. Most of the links work, just beware the first two CAS ones as the text is the same colour as the background so do a Ctrl-A to see it. Some of it's quite good but other parts have been completely contradicted by canon by this point so use what you feel like. smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (FlakJacket @ Aug 31 2005, 02:13 PM)
QUOTE (SL James)
Jesus...

It puts a lot of things in perspective from the history section in Fourth Edition.

Things which would also be helped tremendously by having System Failure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012