Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to make a better...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ellery
I thought it might be useful to have a thread that points out ways to get the most out of the character creation system. If you like playing powerful characters, this is useful. If you dislike it when players have overly powerful characters, this is also useful--you may want to modify some rules or simply say someone can't do something.

Here are a few tips:

Buy Exceptional Attribute before raising a stat to 6. Exceptional Attribute costs 20bp, but you can then raise the stat to 6 for 10bp--30bp cost total, with the option to later pay 21 karma to raise the stat to 7. If you just raise the stat to 6, it costs 25bp--nearly as much and without the advancement option.

Load your mage up with bioware. For 1 essence, you can get a +1 boost to strength, agility, logic, one physical skill, and ignore stun while getting +1 to willpower and -1 to intuition (which you won't use so much anyway, as a Hermetic), all for only 75k (15bp). That's a 34bp bonus plus some nice effects for only 25bp cost (you'll have to buy an extra point of magic along with the price of the goodies). And you can still take the "sensitive system" negative quality for +15bp, since that applies only to cyberware. If you're going for Magic 5 or 6, you might want to think twice about this, but at Magic 4 you can still throw force 8 spells if you need to (which is probably as much as you can soak anyway), and you've only lost one die from your spellcasting test. Note: Synner, this answers a previous debate we had about the frequency of augmented magical characters.

For long-term characters, buy skills in character creation and attributes afterwards. During character creation, attributes cost 2.5x as much as skills. But after character creation, attributes only cost 1.5x as much as skills. So if your game plan includes a lot of skills, and you expect your character to survive for a while, buy the skills you want right away and work the attributes up later. (Kind of backwards--people normally develop attributes early in life and then spend the rest of their life developing skills, but never mind that!)

Cluster skills by attribute, and buy that attribute instead of building up the skills.We know this already, of course. For example, agility is used for no less than 16 skills (not counting exotic weapons) in unarmed and ranged combat, athletics, infiltration, and other cool stuff. If you spend the 60bp to get a skill of 1 in each of these skills, then raising agility by 1 (10bp cost) is as effective as spending another 60bp to raise all the skills by one. Very effective! 100bp will give you 6 dice to roll in 16 different skills. It's even worth taking Exceptional Attribute and hitting 7 before raising the skills separately, unless you don't care about a lot of them. Heck, with only a -1 defaulting penalty, you might not even need the skill.

Unless you're taking advantage of the attribute boost, don't buy skills at a low level. It costs very little karma to raise a skill from 0 to a low level. It costs a lot more to raise it from low to high. So raise your skills as high as you can (given the limits) during creation--that's skill 4 except for the 1 or 2 things you want to specialize in--or don't take them.

If you're not taking cyberware or bioware for some reason, get magic! It only costs 5bp to be an adept, and you get a full power point to spend (normally a 10bp value). You don't need any skills, either. Pretty cool! For an extra 5bp, get Mystic Adept and you'll have the option to cast spells later if you want to build up your magic.
Kater
Yay! Min-maxing'R'us ... couldn't take long until the first thread like this appeared...
Ellery
Min-maxing in SR4 is so easy it's not like posting about it will give away any great secrets that people would otherwise not notice. There aren't many variables to play with, and caps keep everything in small, easily-computed ranges.

But it might be helpful for GMs to get quickly up to speed on what things they might want to house rule, or look out for, or help their players with.
Chiba Cowboy
Why not try thinking of a character concept and then spending points to try and emulate that character's abilities?

"My character concept is a guy with sixteen skills based upon agility and who has magic because he didn't buy cyber/bioware!"...
Oracle
Just don't try it. This is a thread for mini-maxers. You will not find any new arguments that have not been used a thousand times and you will never convert one of them to roleplaying and not building pseudo-characters with the depth of cardboard. So please stop it before it starts. smile.gif
Ellery
It can be frustrating to build a character according to a concept and then have him suck greatly compared to another character who supposedly has a concept, but has been min-maxxed and then given an excuse--er, background, I mean--for why he or she is that way.

It's good to at least know what's out there, unless you're the type who doesn't even notice when one character is doing 70% of the interesting stuff in the entire game.
Oracle
I didn't say anything against your way of playing. It is your game. Play it the way you like it.
Ellery
Was that supposed to be a reply to my post? It seems wholly irrelevant to what I said, and I haven't said what my way of playing is.
Spartan
QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
Why not try thinking of a character concept and then spending points to try and emulate that character's abilities?

"My character concept is a guy with sixteen skills based upon agility and who has magic because he didn't buy cyber/bioware!"...

Sure - but isn´t that a little bit beside the point in a thread on how to build a more effective character? How does "you play wrong" contribute to this, or any, discussion?
Chiba Cowboy
Sure - but isn´t that a little bit beside the point in a thread on how to build a more effective character? How does "you play wrong" contribute to this, or any, discussion?

You sir, need more effective character...
Oracle
QUOTE (Ellery)
[...]I haven't said what my way of playing is.

Of course you did:

It's good to at least know what's out there, unless you're the type who doesn't even notice when one character is doing 70% of the interesting stuff in the entire game.

It starts with our obviously totally different thoughts about what is interesting in the game. Effectiveness has nothing to do with being interesting. At least not for me. But as said before: That's OFF TOPIC, because this is not a discussion about different gaming-styles.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
Load your mage up with bioware. For 1 essence, you can get a +1 boost to strength, agility, logic, one physical skill, and ignore stun while getting +1 to willpower and -1 to intuition (which you won't use so much anyway, as a Hermetic), all for only 75k (15bp). That's a 34bp bonus plus some nice effects for only 25bp cost (you'll have to buy an extra point of magic along with the price of the goodies). And you can still take the "sensitive system" negative quality for +15bp, since that applies only to cyberware. If you're going for Magic 5 or 6, you might want to think twice about this, but at Magic 4 you can still throw force 8 spells if you need to (which is probably as much as you can soak anyway), and you've only lost one die from your spellcasting test.

So that's Hermetic only, less advisable for Shamans?

If you take the 1 essense hit does Magic 4-->5 then cost 25BP? Without the ability to geas the Magic loss i can't see mages with 'ware any more prominent than in SR3, at least the basic cyberware was common in my characters (DJ, SL2 bought in parts so it also could support a general use HUD, and of course Trama Damper.

Unless you don't expect to develop the magic abilities, that bioware purchase doesn't seem that good long run. It isn't too bad buy up to Magic 5 (15 karma vs. 10BP it would have cost) post chargen to avoid the extra 15BP, but past there it really starts to add up costing an extra 13 karma to reach Magic(6) plus an extra 3 karma per Magic point after that. So 'ware heads you strongly down the Squib path right from start.

P.S. No i don't have the PDF yet. My Battlecorps account is busted (not Battlecorps fault), awaiting a reply email.
blakkie
Oh, and built any 400BP Mr. 24's yet? Curious to see what a real, by the rules Mr. 24 looks like overall.
Chiba Cowboy
If you like playing "powerful" characters (obviously statistically rather than psychologically or dramatically...) why not just give everyone more points? Having the highest number of dice available for common tests does not constitute a character, it just belies you are character focused. Why not do maths puzzles if all you are interesting in is generating numbers?
Ellery
That particular set of bioware is less advisable for shamen, but there are other sets one could choose. I didn't mention that you can buy foci (26bp for +2 magic from a force 2 power focus), so your magic will really be 6, not 4.

And anyway, after you are out of character creation, that last attribute point doesn't cost extra any more. The only disadvantage is that you'll need one extra initiate grade for the same level of magic (which costs 10 + (grade x 3) karma). In the long run, it's probably cheaper not to take bioware, but it's a big boost early on.

Oh, and there are no more trauma dampers, thank heavens. That was just about the most broken piece of SR3 'ware. If you allowed mages to take that and summon infinite watchers for free, and cast L-drain spells for free, then it was a very, very big reason for SR3 mages to get 'ware, which is now gone.

Added in edit: I haven't built anyone with 24s, but I also don't see where the limit of 24 dice is stated. Haven't really looked, though. It's pretty straightforward with an adept, though--attribute 10 (7 + 3pts from bioware) costing 100bp; skill 8 (6 base + 2 specialization) costing 26bp; enhanced ability 6 costing 3 magic points, which is 35bp. Total cost: 161bp. The remaining 239bp should allow you to flesh out a pretty decent character. That attribute is going to help you out a lot, too, especially if it's something like agility (which it probably is). In fact, getting additional agility-linked skills with 16 dice would only be another 18bp each.
blakkie
QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
<snipped like Bob Barker's dog>

Read more...spam less...go away...bye. wavey.gif
Chiba Cowboy
Oh, and there are no more trauma dampers, thank heavens. That was just about the most broken piece of SR3 'ware. If you allowed mages to take that and summon infinite watchers for free, and cast L-drain spells for free, then it was a very, very big reason for SR3 mages to get 'ware, which is now gone.

Obviously, since it was a badly implemented ruleswise, you just had to exploit it ! Otherwise your character concept just would not be optimal... I see....

Oracle
[...]and cast L-drain spells for free[...]

With a trauma damper not only L-drain spells are for free under SR3. Effectively it means to have two free successes in any drain resistance test. As a gm I normally punished players trying to get through with that by using my disciplinator (fist-sized d20) on them. ^^

One reason less to punish my players. frown.gif

Any 'fishy' new ware in the new book?
Chiba Cowboy
Roleplay more... minimax less.... sarcastic.gif
Chiba Cowboy
With a trauma damper not only L-drain spells are for free under SR3. Effectively it means to have two free successes in any drain resistance test. As a gm I normally punished players trying to get through with that by using my disciplinator (fist-sized d20) on them. ^^

One reason less to punish my players. frown.gif

You could always make them play with Blakkie? wink.gif
milspec
Buy Exceptional Attribute before raising a stat to 6.  Exceptional Attribute costs 20bp, but you can then raise the stat to 6 for 10bp--30bp cost total, with the option to later pay 21 karma to raise the stat to 7.  If you just raise the stat to 6, it costs 25bp--nearly as much and without the advancement option.

This does not appear to be valid based on the rules (from my new PDF) :

The final increase spent to raise an attribute to its natural maximum (known as “maxing out”) costs 25 BP instead of the normal 10.

It is not the number "6" that costs 25, it is your natural max that costs 25. Since you are still increasing the attribute to its natural maximum, it would still cost 25 BP.

milspec
phelious fogg
You can roleplay and min-max, its a normal thing to do for most gamers I've ever met.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Aug 31 2005, 06:47 AM)
That particular set of bioware is less advisable for shamen, but there are other sets one could choose.  I didn't mention that you can buy foci (26bp for +2 magic from a force 2 power focus), so your magic will really be 6, not 4.

What about using a mix of bioware and cyberware to fit the most in under 1 point, or even 2 points (for Adepts and technos) of essense cost?

And anyway, after you are out of character creation, that last attribute point doesn't cost extra any more.  The only disadvantage is that you'll need one extra initiate grade for the same level of magic (which costs 10 + (grade x 3) karma).  In the long run, it's probably cheaper not to take bioware, but it's a big boost early on.

Ya, that's what da post said. 15 karam to bring it to Magic (5) (avoiding the chargen only penalty), but the extra grade costs you 13 karama to get the Magic cap to 6 and then an extra 3 karma over normal costs for each point of increasing the Magic cap after that.

Couple that with the improved 'trodes and non-implanted 'ware equivalents, and that seems to suggest maybe slightly less ware in mages? Certainly in "serious" mages. Can non-technos do hot VR with trodes, or only cold VR?

Oh, and there are no more trauma dampers, thank heavens.  That was just about the most broken piece of SR3 'ware.  If you allowed mages to take that and summon infinite watchers for free, and cast L-drain spells for free, then it was a very, very big reason for SR3 mages to get 'ware, which is now gone.

I did notice you mentioning avoiding stun, what was that?
Chiba Cowboy
  You can roleplay and min-max, its a normal thing to do for most gamers I've ever met.

Well, you could try finding some decent people to play with?
Ellery
Chiba, if you don't care about min-maxxing, why are you posting here? If you dislike it, do you think it will magically disappear if nobody talks about it? "La la la, I don't hear you, I don't see anything, you didn't just take out that armored troll in the dark from 400m while badly wounded."

I haven't really looked through the ware in much detail. Nothing jumps out at me as being completely broken. Stat bonuses are surprisingly cheap--0.2 essence per level, which is +1 to a stat, and under 10k per level. Any runner with any cash at all would be crazy not to get implants up to the level that they can take advantage of, with the possible exception of technomancers and magicians.
blakkie
QUOTE (milspec)
It is not the number "6" that costs 25, it is your natural max that costs 25. Since you are still increasing the attribute to its natural maximum, it would still cost 25 BP.

So Exceptional Attribute doesn't raise your natural max?
Ellery
QUOTE (milspec @ Aug 31 2005, 07:58 AM)
Buy Exceptional Attribute before raising a stat to 6.  Exceptional Attribute costs 20bp, but you can then raise the stat to 6 for 10bp--30bp cost total, with the option to later pay 21 karma to raise the stat to 7.  If you just raise the stat to 6, it costs 25bp--nearly as much and without the advancement option.

This does not appear to be valid based on the rules (from my new PDF) :

The final increase spent to raise an attribute to its natural maximum (known as “maxing out”) costs 25 BP instead of the normal 10.

QUOTE (SR4 p. 78)
Exceptional Attribute
Cost: 20BP
The Exceptional Attribute quality allows a character to possess
a natural Physical or Mental attribute at a level above the
metatype maximum. A character with this quality has one attribute
with a natural maximum one point higher than his metatype
would normally allow (for example, a human character would have
one attribute with a natural maximum of 7). This also increases the
augmented maximum for that attribute as appropriate This quality
may only be taken once.

The positive quality increases the natural maximum. Only the last point costs 25.
Chiba Cowboy
Look, minimaxing might be cool when you are twelve but it really degrades rpg's in general. Rulesets are developed partly in an attempt to try and halt the behaviour (artificial checks and balances) because some idiots seek to exploit them. There would be much more potential for freeform generation if this behaviour could be disregarded.

I remember playing with an excellent GM when I was 14 and it really opened my eyes to the fact that that games were about empathy, not miniguns on gyroscopic stabilisers...
milspec
Right - sorry. Mentally overlooked that you only raised it to a 6 (when the new nat cap is 7). smile.gif

milspec
Ellery
Most specific questions about what is in the book I'm not going to answer, especially not when people have already ordered the book or are about to buy it. Think of it as an exercise to increase your willpower, or something!

QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
Look, minimaxing might be cool when you are twelve but it really degrades rpg's in general. Rulesets are developed partly in an attempt to try and halt the behaviour (artificial checks and balances) because some idiots seek to exploit them.
And some sets of rules are better than others at doing it. If you're playing with rules that don't do a good job at it, might you want to keep an eye open for it so the gameplay isn't degraded? Or just shut your eyes and cover your ears and hope it doesn't happen?

SR4 even explicitly tells you in places that they're leaving it to the GM to balance things, because the rules didn't do it:
QUOTE (SR4 p.79)
Magician
Cost: 15BP
. . .
Though this quality is inexpensive, gamemasters should be careful not to allow it to be abused. It should only be taken for characters that are intended to be played as magicians.

If you don't have to worry about min/max problems, why even use chargen rules? Just have the GM set out some rough guidelines, then you pick the attributes, skills, and positive and negative qualities that you think make a cool character.
mmu1
QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
Look, minimaxing might be cool when you are twelve but it really degrades rpg's in general. Rulesets are developed partly in an attempt to try and halt the behaviour (artificial checks and balances) because some idiots seek to exploit them. There would be much more potential for freeform generation if this behaviour could be disregarded.

I remember playing with an excellent GM when I was 14 and it really opened my eyes to the fact that that games were about empathy, not miniguns on gyroscopic stabilisers...

Was he gentle?
Chiba Cowboy
Ah the inevitable homoerotic references. If there is something more common on a forum than latent homosexuality, I don't know what it is... Hey, it's okay. You can let your guard down now, it's not a crime anymore.

phelious fogg
Chiba, the only thing that matters in any gaming group is that they agree on the rules. I enjoy playing games in my group because we all like the play by the rules and stretch them (min-max) a bit. In the end all of our games so far have been fairly balanced except one. (A character was made in a way that was unviable and couldnt help us complete the goal. Mr. 24s dont actually work very well)
Lord Ben
Bah, it's freaking SHADOWRUN. You're supposed to be a serious criminal hired by Mr Johnson for his skills in getting the job done. Not some McDonalds Clerk who runs across a plot to destroy the world and has to take his Dad's sword out on a quest to save the world.

Serious dudes need to be able to do serious stuff. Min-Maxing shouldn't always be done, but it's useful to know what the best cyberware is for my character after I have Tailored Pheromones already purchased. Or what's the best way to become a skilled fighter after I already have the skills my face needs.

So bugger off and let people compare BP at creation to karma later using math and logic.
nezumi
Chiba, while I understand your sentiments and am happy that you feel you've reached a new plateau in your gaming, what works for you will not necessarily work for everyone. Not every player plays "just" to play out for the psychology aspects of playing an unusual character. Many players derive enjoyment from making a really skilled professional. That's what they enjoy, just like how some people like jigsaws and some people like the Simpson's, but not everyone likes either or both.

So it would probably best if you could accept that many players enjoy doing the number crunching. You're not going to be able to change minds any more than you could make someone who likes jigsaws to not like them any more. Simply accept that different people play the game for different reasons and watch out for such conflicts if you happen to be playing with someone who doesn't see the game quite as you do.
mmu1
QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
Ah the inevitable homoerotic references. If there is something more common on a forum than latent homosexuality, I don't know what it is... Hey, it's okay. You can let your guard down now, it's not a crime anymore.

Was I making a homoerotic reference? If you say so... biggrin.gif

OSUMacbeth
As to mages taking 'ware, I've never thought my trauma damper + platelet factories + SL2 made me any better than say, our sammie with cyberarm gyromounts doing 18D with his tmps, or our adept who kills someone every time he pulls the trigger (15 dice and counting). Of course, this level of power is probably more acceptable in our specific game, since we have only three players + 1 dm.

Trauma Damper is a great piece of ware no matter what your character type is. In all seriousness, though, I do feel more powerful than other mages who don't have it.

OSUMacbeth
Serbitar
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9607

For a better world !
Fixes most off the stuff mentioned in the initial post by Ellery.
Kagetenshi
Mmm, SCSI…

~J
Kesh
QUOTE (Chiba Cowboy)
Ah the inevitable homoerotic references. If there is something more common on a forum than latent homosexuality, I don't know what it is...

Who you callin' latent, chummer? grinbig.gif

Chiba, your posts are pointless. You've decided that you have the One True Way of gaming... which never is. Kindly stop spamming the thread. Conversion doesn't work.

... of course, if you want to try sometime... embarrassed.gif
Cain
Chiba, you don't seem to get it. Min/maxing is a *good* thing. That means a player has put a lot of detailed thought and imagination into the character, so that the character becomes something more than Joe Average. By min/maxing certain aspects of the character, we bring it to life. Have you ever played a character with every single stat and skill at perfectly average levels? No? Then you're a min/maxer. You've maximized certain aspects of your character, while minimizing his abilites in other ways, ways the character gets around.

You're confusing min/maxing with munchkinism, which is uber power-gaming to the detriment of everyone else's enjoyment. There are many kinds of munchkins-- the power gamer is just one of them. One of the worst, and most insidious, is the roleplaying purist-- the ones who utterly refuse to go along with any plot, because: "It doesn't fit with my character, WAH!" They might be less common then the power-gamer, but they're just as disruptive to a game, and can crash a good campaign just as easily-- in fact, sometimes they're even worse, since they can kill a game before it really has the chance to begin! The power gamers at least go along for the initial ride, hoping for the chance to hack something; the "True Roleplayer" will force the game to go from a high-tension adventure to roleplaying out a conversation in a coffee shop.
Critias
It never ceases to amuse/amaze me, that those who know the least about how Person A plays a game are the first to condemn Person A for playing a game that way.

Chiba, I bet dollars to donuts the quality of RP I've seen with Ellery is better than anything you and your eye-opening 14 year old GM have made magical under the bleachers at high school, allright? Ellery likes to make effective characters, but that's not the same as saying Ellery likes to make wholly one dimensional munchkin characters with no role playing involved. Get that through your skull.

Then, once that's through your skull, either stay on topic or shut the hell up. This thread is for people to get some advice on how to make workable characters, of a power/competency level that will survive a couple jobs and maybe even successfully complete a challenging adventure every once in a while. Get over yourself, drama queen.
Clyde
You can't always dictate to other people how to play the game you are in, either. If I find myself in a game with a higher power level than I'm used to, I for one would be grateful to have the info in this thread to help stay up to speed.

It's no fun for the serious RPers to have a guy bring in a character with a weak, ineffective personality and background. It's no fun for the high power crowd when you bring in a character with an awesome personality, but no capability.
nezumi
You got that right, Clyde. But that's part of what the GM is for (always was my least favorite aspect of it).

Back on subject though, any pieces of cyber that are really 'must have'? Anything that looks especially game breaking? From where I'm sitting, it sounds like initiative might not be quite as important as in 3rd edition, since you can plan around it a lot easier (don't need to spend that extra .2 essence to hedge your bets any more), and I'm not clear if smartlinks are going to be quite as ubiquitous. Alright, they will be, but anything else we'll be seeing all over on the streets?
Kagetenshi
In your opinion, if you are not raising a stat to 6 is it preferable to buy Exceptional Attribute (or Lucky, depending on taste) at chargen or afterwards?

~J
blakkie
From a strickly karma cost for Attributes, those 20 BP (costing 40 karma after chargen) can give you at best two 4 --> 5 raises, which is only 30 karma total. However as Ellery pointed out a better use for BP is Skills, so if you feel you'll use those Skills early on go that way (possibly a toss up).

The big downside is saving up 40 karma, that is quite a wad to drop in one improvement that only clears the way for you to spend another 20+ karma.
Shinobi Killfist
Chiba is just pissed he never min/maxed himself while growing up. "Curses why did I take underwater basketweaving in order to make myself more interesting instead of actually being competent in any useful skill."

Personally I always felt in games where the characters profession is bad assed adventurer type, a non min/maxed character is less realistic and interesting. Yeah a guy who is going to fight a dragon in a 3e will think its a good plan while training up levels to only take a bunch of skill focus feats. Oh and sure in SR where my job is criminal who gets shot at a lot, I really want to spend all my spare time learning calligraphy, instead of I don't know learning the life saving skill of dodge or pistols.

So while your building those interesting characters remember to keep the logic skill at one because apparently there to dumb to train themselves in useful life saving skills and to dumb to purchase quality equipment and cyber.
Kagetenshi
If you've got points to spare you can use on Qualities and think you can keep yourself relatively undamaged, you can push your wound mods off a box for free by buying Low Pain Tolerance at -10 and High Pain Tolerance 2 at +10. It becomes a bad tradeoff once you've taken eight or more boxes, but until then…

~J
OSUMacbeth
Sounds kind of ridiculous to allow the taking of two qualities that directly contradict one another. Do you have high tolerance for pain, or low? "Both." Makes sense.

And Shinobi: Well put with the logic jibe. smile.gif

OSUMacbeth
Ellery
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
In your opinion, if you are not raising a stat to 6 is it preferable to buy Exceptional Attribute (or Lucky, depending on taste) at chargen or afterwards?

~J

In my opinion, if you plan on eventually raising the attribute that high, you're better off buying it at creation time. It costs twice as much karma as bps, and for most other things, 2 karma is worth more than 1bp. You should always take all 35bp of allowable positive qualities, if the positive quality is something you'll eventually want. For example, a lot of mages will probably want Focused Concentration (2), which will use up all 35 of their positive qualities (15 for magic, 20 for f.c.), because F.C. now adds extra dice to drain tests. 10bp/point is as cheap as raising willpower, and although it isn't as flexible as willpower, it's going to be really expensive to raise it later (20 karma per point, which almost as bad as raising willpower from 6 to 7 (21 karma)).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012