For 5BP each, my magician can take the following 'negative' incompetencies:

Aeronautics Mechanic
Automotive Mechanic
Industrial Mechanic
Nautical Mechanic
Electronic Warfare
Hacking

Viola! i just saved 35 points!

Wouldn't it make more sense to make it target entire skill groups, rather than individual skills? Of course, I'd also consider bumping the cost up a bit to compensate, say 8BP. You could still wind up with just as many points, but you'd be writing off a Hell of a lot more skills at least.

Also, what's the official ruling on using Skillsofts for Incompetent skills? Given that the higher of the two skill levels (user vs. chip) takes precedence, I'm guessing that Incompetence has no effect.
eidolon
This is where the GM steps in and says "hell no you can't take flaws/qualities/whatever that would never affect your character, you munchkining little twit ohplease.gif."

biggrin.gif
mmu1
Aren't there restrictions on it? In SR3, you can only take this flaw if you actually have the skill in question.
Westiex
Aren't there restrictions on it? In SR3, you can only take this flaw if you actually have the skill in question.

In which case, just take the skills at 1 ...
Kagetenshi
In SR4, you are expressly forbidden to ever take the skill if you are Incompetent.

~J
eidolon
In which case, these "incompetencies" really are just build points built into the system for munchkins to take advantage of.

*scribble scribble*

Just added it to my list of "Reasons Why I Will Never Play SR4".

So far, it's a LOT longer than the "Reasons SR 4 Might Be Okay".

Narmio
Good grief...

Analyse Device (Ares Predator), Home Ground (The Milky Way) and now this.

Has anyone here even heard the phrase "In the spirit of the rules, not the letter"?

It worries me that people even indulge these ridiculous minmaxing fantasies believing that there's a GM somewhere who won't just slap them about the head with the largest rulebook on hand, but it truly saddens me that people use things like this as justifications not to like the system.
Wintermancer
QUOTE (Narmio)
Good grief...

Has anyone here even heard the phrase "In the spirit of the rules, not the letter"?

It worries me that people even indulge these ridiculous minmaxing fantasies believing that there's a GM somewhere who won't just slap them about the head with the largest rulebook on hand, but it truly saddens me that people use things like this as justifications not to like the system.

Unfortunately Narmio... I'm afraid there actually are GMs out there wou WOULDN'T slap them about the head with the largest rulebook on hand... Glad I'm not one of them! biggrin.gif

Winter
Clyde
There's an age old rule of thumb from the Hero System RPG: "If a flaw doesn't negatively impact your character, it isn't worth any points." The GM has to have some backbone, man. Might as well find out at character generation whether or not it you have what it takes to GM SR4. Guess eidolon can count himself out. wink.gif

(just a joke, man. no hard feelings)
Sabosect
It just occured to me that someone, using their knowledge properly, could possibly take enough of these to pay off for being magical in the first place.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Clyde @ Sep 1 2005, 12:59 AM)
There's an age old rule of thumb from the Hero System RPG: "If a flaw doesn't negatively impact your character, it isn't worth any points."  The GM has to have some backbone, man.  Might as well find out at character generation whether or not it you have what it takes to GM SR4.  Guess eidolon can count himself out.  wink.gif

(just a joke, man.  no hard feelings)

It's good from that vaunted role-playing perspective. What sense does it make for a character to be Unaware of a skill that he or she would use?

Face it, the problem arises when the skill is being used properly.

~J
hahnsoo
I'd probably further restrict applying the Incompetant negative quality to any skill that cannot be defaulted to anyway (that includes most of the Mechanic skills). You simply can't take the Incompetant negative quality for those skills, because it wouldn't give you a flaw... you can't default on that skill, so Incompetant would be redundant, and thus couldn't give you points.
Clyde
Yeah, hahnsoo, I think you've got a good fix.

For even more ridiculous, the Street Samurai could theoretically take incompetent in spellcasting, counterspelling, etc. spin.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (eidolon)
In which case, these "incompetencies" really are just build points built into the system for munchkins to take advantage of.

*scribble scribble*

Just added it to my list of "Reasons Why I Will Never Play SR4".

So far, it's a LOT longer than the "Reasons SR 4 Might Be Okay".

Waited for this so long, the "I Hate SR4" comments and threads had becoming so rare the last days. Thank you. nyahnyah.gif
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Clyde)
Yeah, hahnsoo, I think you've got a good fix.

For even more ridiculous, the Street Samurai could theoretically take incompetent in spellcasting, counterspelling, etc. spin.gif

In a similar vein, I'm considering building a magician character with Incompetencies in all 3 firearms skills. Given how integral guns are to this game, I'd rule that as a fair use of this quality.

And I agree, Hahnsoo's solution fits in quite well.
Lindt
QUOTE (Narmio)

And this is why Sr4 is hard cover? Ahhh it all becomes clear now.

And Spook, I (as a GM) would never let that fly for 15 points either. A runner who just hasent a CLUE on how to fire a gun? Mage or not, he/she would be a laughing stock.
Mal-2
So, I see a lot of people don't like the way others have suggested using Incompetent. How about some suggestions of where you think it would be appropriate to use it?

Should it only be used in a way that it would cripple the standard concept? i.e., a Rigger with Incompetent: Pilot skills, or a Samurai with Incompetent: Firearms skills? What about a Samurai that normally uses a sword (Blades skill) taking Incompetent: Clubs?

I'm just trying to figure out what people think are reasonable versus unreasonable uses of this quality.
mmu1
QUOTE (Mal-2)
So, I see a lot of people don't like the way others have suggested using Incompetent. How about some suggestions of where you think it would be appropriate to use it?

Don't use it, because as written, it makes no sense? It's either crippling, or free points, with no happy middle ground.
Crusher Bob
Hmm, how about:

Bad luck with (skill) 5 points

This flaw can only be taken for skills the character has a level 2 or higher.

Once a (game?) the GM can

Force a glitch
add X number of 'glitch dice to a roll' (only count the 1s)
add a penalty of -2 to the roll...

Somethnig like that.
Aku
well, not having read the book but as a general rule here's some ideas, that MIGHT work.

1) (assuming all software/hardware is are the new b/r's)

A software/hardware incompetant hacker. He knows what he's doing in the 'trix, but he has to buy all of his software/hardware from someone else, because he doesnt understand the "guts" of his own system.

2) a mage incompotent at one aspect of casting, perhaps spell defense?

one other note, if i had a player try this, i wouldnt even let them try to default to an attribute to use the skill. "what, you wanted to be an incompetant at stealth, and now you want to use your munchkin 6 agility to sneak around? uh huh...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)

Ugh. There's too much GM-fiat bulldrek in the rules already.

Aku, that's already the way it works. No defaulting, no buying the skill.

~J
Aku
well, gee, i guess i dont have much to worry about then not liking SR4, huh? it seems like we already think alike, in some regards...
Kagetenshi
I really hope you're joking.

~J
Aku
well, i wont really know until i buy it, but meh, maybe i'm.. more maleable than others around here, since i've really owned SR3 for a year or so, am have only been in two games now i think, both of which I'm GM'ing.. scarry huh?
Spookymonster
QUOTE (Lindt)
And Spook, I (as a GM) would never let that fly for 15 points either. A runner who just hasent a CLUE on how to fire a gun? Mage or not, he/she would be a laughing stock.

I don't see it as quite the problem. In this particular case, the mage has skillwires, a backup pistol, and a skillsoft allowing him to use it (somewhat). Besides, my mage relies on the street sams to provide physical protection, just like they rely on him for spellcraft. Pure street sams don't waste build points on magic; why should a mage have to waste points on mundane weapon skills?

If anything, it reinforces my character's combat philosophy -"if you see me pull out my gun, we're fucked."
wagnern
QUOTE (Mal-2)

Should it only be used in a way that it would cripple the standard concept? i.e., a Rigger with Incompetent: Pilot skills, or a Samurai with Incompetent: Firearms skills? What about a Samurai that normally uses a sword (Blades skill) taking Incompetent: Clubs?

I'm just trying to figure out what people think are reasonable versus unreasonable uses of this quality.

No, it should not criple the charictor, but it should be inconvient. Like a Sam with Incompetent: Drive. Now he can be a verry good sam without ever stepping behind the wheel, but it is darn inconvient. Even the Mage with no ranks in drive can get behind the wheel of a car and drive ok, he can get you to the stuffer shack in noon traffic with minimal panic. But Mr 'I can't drive' Sammie? He has trouble geting out of parking lots and staying in his lane is a problem. He is dependent on others for rides and public transportation. If the team is realy banged up, the Mage from above could drive the van to get the team away (while not optimal, he can do it) but Sam? Not unless the team wants to go 20 miles per hour and weave down the road. (and lord help them if it is a stick)

Consept should be important. Shawman who was raised by some 'get back to nature' neo hippies with Incompident: Computer, or a Mage who is honest to a fault taking Incopmident: Bluff. That sort of thing.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Narmio)
Good grief...

I wouldn't, but that is because I am evil. No... If a mage took Incompetance (Aeronautics Mechanic) in my game there would be a run which required him to fly in an airplane alone with an NPC pilot. I would roll 1 D6 behind the GM screen and then inform the (if a PC) or have the NPC pilot inform the mage, that the landing gear has malfunctioned and the mage has to climb or levitate outside the the plane and repair the landing gear using the skill that he is incompentant in. As incentive to have him not just abandon the plane, the cargo would be such that if he does abandon it he would have gain the Hunted: Lowfyr negative quality.
wagnern
belly landing?
blakkie
QUOTE (wagnern)
belly landing?

No, this plane have a half-dozen napalm bombs mounted underwing. And their remote release mechasism is broken too, so the only way to release them is my physically pulling the manual emergency release handle....which is protected from remote magic manipulation by a locked spell that will drop a cow from near-earth orbit on the caster or summoner that trys to use telekinesis or a spirit to release it....and besides the emergency release handle is very technically advanced, so you have to roll a Aeronautical Mechanic check to open....on and the struts holding the bomb also have the same magical protection so you can just blast or break them off.

Oh, and the NPC is now pointing a Predator IV at the mage's head saying "get the hell out there you chicken shit and fix this damn plane or i'm going to move you up to the front of the line for organ donations."
Toshiaki
Don't forget to hit the mage with a Drop Bear!
eidolon
QUOTE (Grinder)
Waited for this so long, the "I Hate SR4" comments and threads had becoming so rare the last days. Thank you. nyahnyah.gif

Actually, in this particular thread, that was more of a joke than anything. This issue has a very easy fix, and several not-so-easy-but-still-work fixes (just kidding guys), and wouldn't be a real reason to not like the game in and of itself.

It's the other "issues" gleaned from threads, SR website, et al that keep me from liking the game.

(Okay, now I sit back and wait for some genius to come in and say "you can't know if you haven't read it" or some such illogical nonsense.)
Nimbex
QUOTE (Toshiaki @ Sep 1 2005, 04:58 PM)
Don't forget to hit the mage with a Drop Bear!

Dikoted, or not?

As for the Incompetent Quality, if it doesn't say so in the book that you cannot take Incompetent in an italicized (ergo non-defaultable) skill, then it should. I'm pretty confident that it's in the spirit of the rules, and would expect that it's worthy of being listed as an erratum or clarification.

For skills which one can default to, though, it's only a 5-point negative quality, which hardly seems game-breaking. Furthermore, since there's an upper limit on negative qualities, it's not going to be that dangerous.

As for other negative qualities, one of my players took Allergy (cats) at the middle level. I've noticed that he'll take an additional 4 boxes of damage from any weapon made from cats. Hmmm...
wagnern
Drop-Cats?
Aku
cat fur paint brushes?
Spookymonster
Cat...apult?
Lindt
House cat shifter?
Shadow
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Sep 1 2005, 11:00 AM)

Ugh. There's too much GM-fiat bulldrek in the rules already.

Aku, that's already the way it works. No defaulting, no buying the skill.

~J

Your not kidding, this is like the third time I have heard it said the GM has to stop this from happening. This is like the hard caps on atts and skills in the beginning. I don't recall so many GM fiats in 3rd ed.
blakkie
QUOTE (Shadow @ Sep 2 2005, 02:19 PM)
Your not kidding, this is like the third time I have heard it said the GM has to stop this from happening. This is like the hard caps on atts and skills in the beginning. I don't recall so many GM fiats in 3rd ed.

You have already forgotten the Edges & Flaws from SR3? Good, your journey to the SR4-side is almost complete. Now, take this Dikoted Katana and use your Edge dice to strike me down to fulfill your destiny!
Shadow
Some days Blakkie you are hysterical, today’s one of them!

I didn't forget them, I simply exercised the rule that said edges and flaws had to equal points. Walla, simple, no extra build points. And since most of the really good edges (increased att, competence, etc) only let you take them once, there was no real balance issue.

Not being a master of rules fu I may have missed something, but it always seemed strait forward to me, no GM fiats needed.
hahnsoo
Edges and Flaws were ALL about GM fiat. Things like Aptitude being taken for Combat skills, or preventing the Day Job flaw from becoming free nuyen, or people taking 2 points of Amnesia "Just because", or the Home Ground edge... all of these had to be stopped by the GM.
Wireknight
I figure that a simple fix would be to limit the number of incompetences a character can take to two. It's really rare (outside of corporate management) to find someone who's truly incompetent at everything besides the specialized task they perform. As far as skillwires, I would say that skillwires should override an incompetency, since they override any skill level, even an exceptional one, when active.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012