Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guns
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Lord Ben
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 1 2005, 11:43 AM)
Nato uses typically the .223 rem or 5.57?  cartridge, warsaw pact and other "commies" would be the 7.62x39mm.  That's what the AK-47's and Chinese SKS both shoot.  Those are typically machine gun rounds.

I'm going to enjoy watching you get savaged by the local "gun nuts". wink.gif

What's wrong with it?
MYST1C
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Developments like the MP7 don't even match the needs of the real world. I've not heard of it being adopted by any military or police force nor have I seen it in action anywhere.

The MP7 has been adopted by the German military, intended to gradually replace the MP2 (aka IMI Uzi).
It is currently in use with German units operating in Afghanistan.

In addition, Singapore has adopted the MP7 for its national police force and the UK has adopted it for the MoD Police.

At the moment, Heckler & Koch is developing a new pistol (called H&K UCP) using the MP7's 4.6x30 ammo. This pistol is regarded as a potential successor to today's 9mm P8 (official German designation for the H&K USP) for the Bundeswehr.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Nato uses typically the .223 rem or 5.57? cartridge

5.56x45mm NATO.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
warsaw pact and other "commies" would be the 7.62x39mm

Russia(/SU) has been using 5.45x39mm for quite some time, 17 years before WP ended

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Those are typically machine gun rounds.

You mean "typically assault rifle rounds and light machinegun rounds".

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Bigger scoped rifles or older rifles (some marines in Iraq are using the M14), as well as the M60 used the .30-06 round. Russian bigger rifles use the 7.62x54R round.

Not .30-06, that has not been used in the US Armed Forces since the M1919 machinegun was phased out. The M14, M21, M24, M40, M60, M240, etc. fire the 7.62x51mm NATO/.308 Winchester. To generalize, these calibers mostly find use in the modern military in sniper rifles and GPMGs.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
2070 body armor might well be equally protective of pistol and rifle rounds. Perhaps layered stuff that equally protects against fast and light or heavy and wide rounds? I'm not going to quibble.

Unfortunately that's just not how physics works. Smaller diameter projectiles possessing the same amount of kinetic energy will penetrate rather thin, (semi-)rigid objects (like armor) better than larger diameter projectiles. All armor would have to be magic, or made with some sort of super-hitech nanobots which (for whatever reason) make the armor better when hit with bullet shot from rifles.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
One thing to keep in mind is that the .223 moves fast and is small so it passes through armor easier. But it also passes through flesh easier without slowing down as much. This means lots of the energy is wasted out the back of the target. A round that stops in side means the body needs to absorb all that shock. And unless you bleed to death it's the shock that kills you.

No. See this and this, compared to this? Bullets can penetrate armor quite well and yet fall apart and cause very large wounds when hitting unarmored targets. Physics, huh?

In case you want to dispel the rest of those myths from you mind, read this. "Absorbing all the shock" doesn't mean anything. What kills people is non-functional CNS. The way you achieve this is either destroying the CNS (brain or spine) or by stopping blood from getting to the brain, and the way you achieve the latter is by punching holes in the target, preferably near the major arteries and blood-bearing organs in the thorax. Bigger holes = better.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
The MP7 has been adopted by the German military, intended to gradually replace the MP2 (aka IMI Uzi).
It is currently in use with German units operating in Afghanistan.

Somehow I've managed to miss this. But then I've never seen any German soldiers with Uzis, either. The only mention on the HK Defense site is that KSK adopted it back in 2002.

QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
In addition, Singapore has adopted the MP7 for its national police force and the UK has adopted it for the MoD Police.

Any numbers, how many the UK police has acquired or is planning to acquire? I have only seen UK police with MP5s, though that doesn't mean anything. If this is true, then I must say the top officials dealing with UK LE are dumber than I thought.

QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
At the moment, Heckler & Koch is developing a new pistol (called H&K UCP) using the MP7's 4.6x30 ammo. This pistol is regarded as a potential successor to today's 9mm P8 (official German designation for the H&K USP) for the Bundeswehr.

Heh. I'm sure they'll try to sell the concept, but I don't see it happening. Considering the lack of enthusiasm towards the FN Five-seveN, which has been out for some time now, it doesn't look good for such weapons.
Lord Ben
The "commie" guns I like WASR-10 and SKS are all 7.62x39mm, so as a "redneck survivalist" my stockpile is pretty much standard. It's a broad generalization. So I was off by a few hundreths on exact cal's, the general concepts are all correct.

Who can tell what future armor will hold? Quibbling about AP and DV of futuristic weapons firing futuristic cartridges at futuristic armor is pointless (except for fun). The system is balanced enough that more armor = better and a bigger gun = better. Seems fine to me.

Perhaps shaped charge ammo would work equally well in a pistol or a rifle.
mmu1
QUOTE (Lord Ben @ Sep 1 2005, 12:23 PM)
Perhaps shaped charge ammo would work equally well in a pistol or a rifle.

Shaped charge penetration capability is (all other things being equal) a function of the diameter of the projectile, and in pistol and rifle calibers ought to be rather ineffective.
Lord Ben
But do we know that future weapons rifles have a smaller diameter or we just assuming that since they do today.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
So I was off by a few hundreths on exact cal's, the general concepts are all correct.

I wasn't aware the last messages had anything to do with concepts. wink.gif The name of the caliber was wrong, so I corrected it. I would have done the same had you typoed "i" for "o", if I thought that was at all central to the issue. In a list of calibers, I found the name of a caliber quite central.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Quibbling about AP and DV of futuristic weapons firing futuristic cartridges at futuristic armor is pointless (except for fun).

Yes. Anything could happen. Maybe gravity will increase 100% and the equipment weights in SR3 were realistic (in a relative sense, or measured in pounds or newtons). Maybe the cornerstones of material physics were overthrown and objects now retain their shape better the greater the pressure on them is.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
But do we know that future weapons rifles have a smaller diameter or we just assuming that since they do today.

We assume so, because they're still used for the same role, and in that role a smaller projectile diameter is useful. Large bullet diameter = more drag = less range = bad thing for rifles. We assume assault rifles have relatively small bullet diameters because it makes sense.
Lord Ben
But you're talking about making modern stuff only more effective in the future. Which I suppose is possible but there also could be a revolution in design which changes everything.

For all we know we could be talking about how smoothbore guns will never be accurate blah blah blah only to find out that in 2050 someone invents rifled ammo and guns. Maybe it'll be simple in the form of awsome recoil compensation systems that allow pistols to fire rifle cartridges?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Lord Ben)
But you're talking about making modern stuff only more effective in the future. Which I suppose is possible but there also could be a revolution in design which changes everything.

There is no hint of such a revolution anywhere in SR rulebooks or fiction. If there had been some sort of massive breakthrough in weapons technology in the intervening years, I should think it would be mentioned somewhere. Instead, all the rules concerning using, designing and getting weapons are written with the apparent assumptions that they still work more or less exactly as they do today.

QUOTE (Lord Ben)
Maybe it'll be simple in the form of awsome recoil compensation systems that allow pistols to fire rifle cartridges?

You did not read through most of the thread, then? Pistols could fire rifle rounds even now, but there's no point, nor will there be.
As I have been trying to explain, there's nothing stopping people from simply making more powerful handguns even now. In fact, people are making such insanely powerful handguns.

In terms of kinetic energy, the .460 S&W Magnum revolver beats the M16A2 by almost 100%, yet the 5.56x45mm likelyoutpenetrates it because the bullet is so much smaller in diameter, different in shape, and deposits that energy so much faster. The .500 S&W (8-3/8" barrel) is about 1.6x as energetic as the 7.62x39mm out of an AK-47, yet the 7.62x39mm penetrates better because of the same reasons as above. To make handguns that penetrate better than assault rifles, you have to take the "Bigger and More Powerful" approach to ridiculous extents.

And that difference in penetration was never intentional. It springs from the fact that rifles have to be accurate at very long ranges, while handguns just have to kill people at short range. Changes in the type of target have so far made no overall difference in the calibers used in these weapons, only in the types of bullets used. Additionally, the continuing spread of body armor in the military as well as the society in general has so far had significant impact on the types of bullets used in pistols and SMGs by militaries and LEOs, excluding Russia (who can't really afford to make such designs widespread) and some small European units.
Crusher Bob
Sigh, then rifles would use the same recoil compensation systems, only bigger and better. And they would still be firing smaller bullets at higher velocities, as they need to be accurate at longer ranges...
Lindt
Ben, simple fact. When it comes to bullets, bigger dosnt equal better. Given the (rather unfortunate) choice between getting shot with a FMJ .45 acp pistol, or a FMJ .223 rifle, Id take the pistol, thank you.
In a normal combat scenerio, rifle > pistol. End of arguement. Now, back to game mechanics.

Yes, rifles in general should have better armor penetration and damage powers then a pistol. A Sub-gun should be near-identical to an equivelent pistol, with much better rate of fire, and slightly better range.

And in responce to the shotgun/sniper rifle bit, they are both semi-auto stocked weapons. You hold them the same way, sight them (roughly) the same way. Deal.
MYST1C
Somehow I've managed to miss this. But then I've never seen any German soldiers with Uzis, either.

The Uzi was/is (together with P1 and P8 pistols) the gun for vehicle crews and second-line troops.

My favourite military pictures forum seems to be offline so I can't give any links but there are quite some pictures showing KSK operators, military police special groups and even ordinary grunts with MP7 floating on the internet.

Any numbers, how many the UK police has acquired or is planning to acquire? I have only seen UK police with MP5s, though that doesn't mean anything. If this is true, then I must say the top officials dealing with UK LE are dumber than I thought.

I'm not talking about the regular police but the Ministry of Defense Police. The way I understand it's a special organization mainly tasked with guarding nuclear power plants.
Critias
QUOTE (Hell Hound @ Sep 1 2005, 10:13 AM)
And here I demonstrate my extensive lack of knowledge in firearms because I must also ask the question, how widespread are Assault Rifles outside the military? Do they see use by Special Forces units, police, SWAT, crazy surivalist types hiding up in the hills?, paranoid home defense  focused civilians?

[OT rant]
Yeah. Take a look at what's happening in New Orleans right now, and ask yourself how "paranoid" someone has to be to own a rifle for home defense. Packs of looters are roaming the streets with knives, machetes, pistols, clubs, etc, and gathering up whatever catches their eye. People are shooting at policemen and EMTs and firemen while they're stuck on rooftops and baking in the sun. A National Guardsman took one in the leg from a citizen of the nation he's sworn to protect and defend. Supply/rescue choppers are being fired on by the people they're on their way to help.

Yessirree. Anyone who might want an old SKS or a semi-auto AK in times like these sure is "paranoid" allright. Here's hoping you don't grow up to be a powerful politician, with an attitude like that. wink.gif
[/OT rant]
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
The way I understand it's a special organization mainly tasked with guarding nuclear power plants.

Sorry. Yeah, that would kind of explain it. If that's the extent of MP7's employment, then I'm not going to throw a fit. Seems it's still mostly used by special purpose units, which kind of makes sense. It is just the idea of seeing something like that being in widespread use by a military or a major LEO that freaked me out.
MYST1C
It is just the idea of seeing something like that being in widespread use by a military or a major LEO that freaked me out.

At some point it was planned to replace all SMGs and pistols in the German military with MP7...

Found some pictures:
German military police in Afghanistan
another one

German infantry displaying MP7 and new H&K MG4 SAW
Austere Emancipator
Is that last one really just basic infantry, and is that MP7 that guy's primary weapon? If so, I just don't get it. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be stuck with that.
blakkie
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Sep 1 2005, 12:56 PM)
Is that last one really just basic infantry, and is that MP7 that guy's primary weapon? If so, I just don't get it. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be stuck with that.

That certainly isn't what the manufacturer intended the weapon for, it is suppose to a secondary weapon. Well i guess primary for someone that isn't normally issued a rifle. But i don't see a medic badge on him or anything.
MYST1C

It's a squad demonstrating the current state of the Infanterist der Zukunft (IdZ) program ("Infantryman of the Future", our Land Warrior equivalent) - new armor vest, protective goggles, etc.
The guy with the MP7 is the squad leader.

The standard gun for troops actually meant to face an enemy is, of course, the G36/G36k. The squad leader is not meant to fight but command his squad, keep communication with the platoon...
Arethusa
Then why not give him a G36C instead of what I can only reasonably conclude is a sarcastic joke?
Zen Shooter01
Yeah, if he's squad leader, we should make sure that his equipment makes logistics as complicated as possible.
Marc Hameleers
Well, i think that it is because the men in question are military POLICE. So they aren't equipped for military missions, but for police tasks.

As far as police goes, that's pretty heavy weaponry.

OFf course they should have been equipped better for this mission, but i think that is what is the matter here.

marc
Arethusa
It'd be nice if that were true. In reality, MPs guard camps in hostile areas and run checkpoints. If I were doing that in Iraq, I'd shoot the lousy fucker who issued me an MP7 and take his G36C.

Also, Zen brings up an astute point. It's just goddamn dumb.
WorkOver
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I must spread my crushing despair. It's SR4.

Also, EX-EX kills armored folk better than APDS. Spread the word.

~J

who says APDS should kill more than Ex Ex? Oh, in SR3 it did, but this is SR4. Was there a note that said that APDS was intended to be the deadliest ammo?

This is nothing more than SR3 love here.
Kagetenshi
You are full of shit.

~J
Blacken
QUOTE (Hell Hound)
Is there even a 'regular' ammunition load for assault rifles?

There is indeed. Right now for the US Armed Forces that's the M855 5.56x45mm FMJ cartridge, and that (or something very similar, like the M193) is used in most specops units, LEOs, crazy survivalists and paranoid home defense people.

Bullets in crazy survivalists and paranoid home defense people?

I can dig that.
Marc Hameleers
Oh, i know it''s dumb and that they aren't equipped for what they are doing. They are equipped for what they would do ....In germany!!!.

Re-equipping them for the actual tasks at hand probably cost to much frown.gif
Adarael
On the EX-EX vs APDS thing....

I always thought APDS was stupid in terms of game execution. Come on, sabotted rounds being harder to get than lead-azide cored FMJ rounds? That struck me as wierd. One of these rounds is a police, security, and military round. One of these SHOULD only be a military round. Especially given how it craters barriers at full auto.

Besides, I love Ex-Ex. I don't think I've ever made a character that didn't have it as his primary sidearm load.
mmu1
QUOTE (WorkOver)
who says APDS should kill more than Ex Ex? Oh, in SR3 it did, but this is SR4. Was there a note that said that APDS was intended to be the deadliest ammo?

This is nothing more than SR3 love here.

He said ARMORED people, genius.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Adarael)
Come on, [APDS] rounds being harder to get than lead-azide cored FMJ rounds? That struck me as wierd.

You are being funny, yes?
Autarkis
You are full of shit.

~J

A little defensive, Kagey.
Kagetenshi
Not bothering to explain to someone too dimwitted to realize why rounds designed to penetrate armor should kill people in armor better than rounds that are designed to break apart on impact is defensive?

ohplease.gif

~J
Autarkis
Responding with a one liner and not expounding on your arguement seems defensive. eek.gif

<shrug>

But at least now you expanded your point. biggrin.gif
Arethusa
He's not defensive. He's tired. I don't really blame him. I realize not everyone is familiar with firearms, but there is a difference between ignorance and willful, obnoxious, brazenly stupid ignorance.
Adarael
You are being funny, yes?

Not really. This opinion, though, is based primarily on my view that EX-EX are based on the 'explosive rounds' from certain cyberpunk novels, wherein they're not fragmenting/frangible/etc, but are in fact packed with explosives and are generally described as dual-purpose rounds with added oomph, such as the hard-point explosive rounds used by Section 9 in GITS. From that perspective, they SHOULD be even more restricted than APDS.

Bear in mind there's no canon explanation of them that says exactly what makes them 'explosive', other than the old 'Rule of 1' that states your clip cooks off. I think this is more indicative of how I run Shadowrun than how the game says the rounds are made.
Raygun
Well, this has certainly been an amusing read. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it sometime in the near future. Sorry I haven't been around to pitch in. Looks like SR4 is going to leave plenty of work for us "gunheads".
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Sep 1 2005, 05:26 AM)
I love that assault rifles get the same AP as handguns, and only +1 DV. The 7.62 mm rifle round will go through a brick at fifteen feet. The .45 ACP pistol cartridge will not.

You are assuming about the calibers.
Not only those calibers are on decline in the world today... in the sixth world, there is no telling what systems have been adopted... but certainly not those that are over 100 years old.

BZZT! Wrong!

See: .45 ACP, M1911A1, Mk 23.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Marc Hameleers)

As far as the weapons not being realistic: It's about FUN guys.

Unrealistic weapons seriously errode my fun.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Hell Hound @ Sep 1 2005, 10:13 AM)
And here I demonstrate my extensive lack of knowledge in firearms because I must also ask the question, how widespread are Assault Rifles outside the military? Do they see use by Special Forces units, police, SWAT, crazy surivalist types hiding up in the hills?, paranoid home defense  focused civilians?

[OT rant]
Yeah. Take a look at what's happening in New Orleans right now, and ask yourself how "paranoid" someone has to be to own a rifle for home defense. Packs of looters are roaming the streets with knives, machetes, pistols, clubs, etc, and gathering up whatever catches their eye. People are shooting at policemen and EMTs and firemen while they're stuck on rooftops and baking in the sun. A National Guardsman took one in the leg from a citizen of the nation he's sworn to protect and defend. Supply/rescue choppers are being fired on by the people they're on their way to help.

Yessirree. Anyone who might want an old SKS or a semi-auto AK in times like these sure is "paranoid" allright. Here's hoping you don't grow up to be a powerful politician, with an attitude like that. wink.gif
[/OT rant]

PWNED!
Autarkis
Yeah, nothing like giving people guns and then being suprised when there is a disaster they flip out and use them...
Clyde
I thought the MP7 and its cohorts were designed to be a replacement for pistols in military use, not assault rifles. I'd never trade a G36 or M4 for one, but I'd gleefully hand in a Beretta in exchange for something better.

This is quite the same thing that happened with the M1 Carbine. As a replacement for the .45 it totally rocks. Only five pounds or so, with better than twice the range and better than twice the ammo. As a replacement for the M1 Rifle it's kind of weak.

As for New Orleans, that situation is just messed up beyond belief. They need Marines or something in there.
Sabosect
They have Marines in there. The marines are having problems as well, and in some cases are destroying the supplies they are supposed to deliver with how they choose to deliver them.
Autarkis
The "how" they choose to deliver them is more from the fact that when they attempt to land the helicopters, they are rushed by mobs. So, instead of being allowed to land, drop of the supplies and leave, they need to fear for their own safety and drop the supplies from 10 feet in the air which is cracking water bottles and breaking packaging.

Sabosect
It isn't just helicoptors they are doing that way. And when people attempt to approach the land vehicles to help, they get held at gun point.

Really, this entire mess could be dealt with and in a way that would end the problems. The fact is that if we did it, it would likely cost us on another front. Either way, we lose. The difference is if the loss is influence or lives.
Clyde
I'm going to try to defend SR4's handling of assault rifles and heavy pistols. Then I'm going to propose a possible house rule or two for those of you who like that sort of thing. smile.gif

First, I have to make a limiting statement. I'm judging realism based only on combat peformance against human targets. I don't know enough about the vehicle or barrier rules to judge that stuff.

Second, I'll have to make some assumptions. Everyone makes assumptions when they argue, but I'll attempt to do so up front where we can see them.

Assumption 1. Body armor is intended to mitigate, rather than eliminate trauma.
Assumption 2. Body armor in SR4 defeats a threat if it converts physical damage to stun damage on a reasonable number of net hits.
Assumption 3. Full Body Armor is significantly heavier and bulkier than an armored jacket or lined coat.
Assumption 4. The severity of injury from a gunshot wound is primarily related to shot placement. Caliber, velocity and bullet type are all secondary to the exact area hit.

So, to work.

Firstly, the Heavy Pistol has a damage code of 5P, -1AP while the Assault Rifle has a damage code of 6P, -1AP. While there appears to be very little difference between the two (and no difference at all in the AP statistic) I believe that in SR4 there is a world of practical difference.

On two net hits, the Heavy Pistol does 7 damage with a -1 armor modifier. An Armor Jacket, with 8 points of ballistic armor, is sufficient to convert this to stun. Thus, wearing an armor jacket is sufficient to defeat the threat of heavy pistol rounds.

On two net hits, an Assault Rifle does 8 damage with a -1 armor modifier. An Armor Jacket is insufficient to convert this to stun. An Armor Jacket is not capable of defeating assault rifle rounds. Full Body Armor, with 10 points of Ballistic Armor, does convert an Assault Rifle round to stun.

Combining these disparate data, what do we know?
1) The amount of body armor required to defeat a heavy pistol is fairly light and wearable, even concealable in some circumstances.
2) This amount of body armor is utterly incapable of defeating an assault rifle round. It will cause physical trauma and possibly a lot of it.
3) The amount of body armor required to defeat an assault rifle round is bulky and very heavy. It is likely not concealable under any circumstances.
These three facts lead to the conclusion that an assault rifle has very much more penetration than a heavy pistol in practical terms. We know this not because of what the statistics tell us, but because of the amount of kevlar and ceramic that those statistics represent. In essence, the armor, damage and armor penetration ratings are not linear.
4) The actual amount of damage done in an attack is most directly connected to how many Net Hits are scored on the attack roll. Lots of Net Hits will tell over weapon type.
This fact leads to the conclusion that in SR4 good shot placement defeats almost all other considerations.

So how does this treat assault rifles versus heavy pistols?
1) An assault rifle has more range and ammunition than a heavy pistol.
2) An assault rifle inflicts more serious wounds against armored and unarmored targets.
3) Heavy, obvious armor is needed to stop assault rifles while lighter concealable armor can stop heavy pistols.
4) An Assault Rifle is always a better choice than a Heavy Pistol in a shootout (although the HP might be better for going unnoticed).
5) Despite that, skilled shooting is the single best way to win.

In light of all that, I'd say SR4 does a pretty darned good job of portraying assault rifles and heavy pistols. In fact, it does it a lot better than SR 2 or 3. The AR has a clearcut advantage in single shot mode over HPs. SR2 and 3 did NOT have this (in fact it was the other way around).

For more proof, consider this: it takes 3 points of ballistic armor or Body to counter the extra point of DV that an assault rifle has. Given what we know about assault rifle penetration and wounding mechanisms this makes sense.

Two house rule options for those who want them.
1) Change Assault Rifle damage code to: 5P, -4AP. Statistically, this is equivalent to the current damage code. However, it makes wearing soft armor around an assault rifle pretty much pointless and might solve some issues with barrier ratings or vehicles.
2) Simply remove the -1AP from heavy pistol damage codes. While this doesn't nerf them, it does provide a slightly more clearcut superiority to the assault rifle.
OSUMacbeth
Thank you Clyde, you have made some of my points for me. In SR4, the effectiveness of a round is all in how much armor it can defeat. One thing that people seem to be ignoring is that the armor-piercing stat on a gun is actually far less useful than a DV mod when trying to hurt someone. For purposes of defeating armor, -1 AP and +1 DV are the same, except the +1DV also hurts the target more. So yes, AR rounds are more penetrating than pistol rounds. No, it's not orders of magnitude, but it is significantly better in-game. Add this to the fact that assault rifles can burst fire, full auto, and can have nifty accessories like grenade launchers, and it is clear who comes out on top in this game. Clyde's -4ap rule above is a great compromise numerically. Keep in mind, however, that while the stat named "armor piercing value" would get a boost, this would actually make ARs worse than they are. As it stands, they are better than a pistol in every sense of the word when it comes to a firefight.

I've seen the weapons in all 3 previous editions, and though I have my problems with 4th ed, guns is something they definitely balanced right this time, without sacrificing reality. Remember, an identical armor-piercing stat in this game does not mean two things defeat armor identically well. I can't believe that a gun balance this well-designed is taking so much flak, so to speak.

OSUMacbeth
Ellery
Clyde, that's a nice analysis, but there are two flaws.

First, why is dealing stun a disadvantage?

Second, don't you think you should consider the variability in the outcome, not just the average outcome? For example, with 6 dice, there's a 9% chance of getting no hits, a 26% chance of getting one, 33% of getting two, 22% of getting three, and 10% of getting more than three.
OSUMacbeth
/agree with Ellery on the stun thing. My above praise of the system is not meant to be praise of this. The stun should be halved or something.

OSUMacbeth
Clyde
I don't consider dealing stun to be a disadvantage. The point of this little thought exercise was to determine whether assault rifles penetrated more Body Armor than Heavy Pistols by some practically useful margin, despite the fact that they have the same AP. This is hard to figure out on its own - SR4 uses an abstract combat system that doesn't tell you whether or not the armor was actually penetrated. For one thing, it doesn't use positional hitting (i.e. a hit location system like Godlike or Cyberpunk) so you don't know if the armor was even hit. That's why I had to limit the number of Net Hits for purposes of comparison. If I let the shooter have 4 or 5 Net Hits it becomes increasingly likely that the shot has hit an unarmored but still important area such as the throat, head, groin or even under the arm (a traditional weakpoint in many armors). So we have a limited number of Net Hits. That indicates that you struck the target. If the armor is now the reason you are taking Stun damage from a bullet, then I conclude that it's because the bullet hit an armored area and simply did not penetrate.

I could have tried other methods. For example, we could decide the bullet did not penetrate if the target takes 2 or fewer boxes of damage regardless of type. However, I don't think that's a fair test of the armor because the character's Body stat must be computed. Hence I made stun damage conversion the factor. It's the only thing solely dependant upon the armor involved.

Ultimately, what I found was that while there may not be a big difference in their stat line there's a huge difference in effect. If you want armor rated to stop an assault rifle round it's big, heavy, obvious and may even come with some mobility penalties. That implies that assault rifles have a serious penetration advantage over the measley heavy pistols.

Taking a big fat pile of stun damage isn't any fun. An HP toting character is still nothing to sneeze at even when you are wearing full body armor. Consider an attack with 2 Net Hits against FBA. The Damage will come out to 7 points of Stun, while you'll only have 9 points of armor to resist. That probably pulls away 3 points of stun, which leaves you with 4 to handle on Body alone. Unless you have a 6 Body (maximum unaugmented human, in other words) you are going to take some penalties. And this is from only one shot - a double tap will put you more than halfway up your stun condition monitor. And that's standard ammo. Clearly you must always take cover in SR4. It is no longer sufficient to rely on body armor alone. Which is yet one more realistic point about firearms to consider.
Clyde
Ellery, I didn't consider variability in the system because of its abstract nature. 0 net hits doesn't test the armor at all. I don't think a whole bunch of net hits tests the armor either. Because it was penetration of armor I wanted to test, we had to use a narrow range of hits. But that variability is one thing I consider a major bonus to SR4 on its own merits. For one thing, it means that mooks can occasionally hit even the fastest of street samurai just by pure luck (which they ought to be able to do). It also means that occasionally you'll take an Assault Rifle round off your full body armor and take only a point or two or Stun damage (which ought to happen occasionally). Likewise, even a big troll can blow his damage resistance test.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012