Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bringing back Voodoo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrankTrollman
As everyone with the book now knows, Voodoo is not in the basic book. That leaves a number of people high and dry. However, it's relatively easy to port things back in:

The game leaves open the idea that additional spirit types will be introduced later, so it is an option to simply bring in additional spirits that have Possession instead of Manifestation. This is a horrible idea! Possession spirits and manifesting spirits are useful for entirely different things, so if possessing spirits are just another choice every single spellcaster is going to choose to get at least one manifesting spirit and at least one possessing spirit. Remember: PCs get to choose five spirits and most of them are pretty much interchangeable (not to mention the fact that noone cares about sustaining combat spells, and noone ever has in any edition, so you even have a couple of "spare" slots out of the five that can be used for edge-case spirits that won't always be available).

No. The better idea is to allow a player to choose Manifestation or Possession as their primary way of doing things at character creation. Here's how it works:

"Unbound": An unbound summoning goes directly into your own body or that of a willing and able host. There's no period of it being on the Astral Plane at all. You (or a follower) simply become Dual Natured, get a fat stack of physical bonuses, and get relevent powers. And heck, if you summon an unbound spirit into yourself, you don't actually make the drain test until the spirit dismounts.

"Bound": A binding ritual puts the spirit into a single helpless sapient (or ex sapient). The "good guys" use dead bodies, which creates zombies or ancestor reanimation (depending upon who you are talking to), and the "bad guys" use living people captured for this purpose.

This means that Possession Magic (light side) is used by: Ancestor-Focused Animists, Bearsarkers, Houngans, Mahou Shojou, Oracles, and Super Heroes. And it means that Possession Magic (dark side) is used by: Budhist Demon Worshippers, The Dark Moon Kingdom, Petro Houngan, Satanists, The Universal Brotherhood, and Werewolves.

The only difference between light side and dark side is that the dark side people get threat ratings and can use/need living creatures for their bound spirits, and light side magicians do not get threat ratings and can use/need dead bodies to bind spirits. Under no circumstance can Possession Conjuring characters store their bound spirits in the astral plane, but their bound spirits also never cause sustaining penalties. A bound spirit can't depossess.

Since Invoking no longer exists, and the standard spirits (which can be selected) have immunity to normal weapons, it is important that possessing spirits give a smaller immunity to normal weapons than a normal spirit has. I suggest that you get half the effect - that is Hardened Armor = Force, rather than Hardened Armor = Double Force.

-Frank
blakkie
Remember: PCs get to choose five spirits

It is my understanding that each Tradition has a set of five spirit types. The PC then is assigned a Tradition.
FrankTrollman
Well, that understanding is wrong.

the player must choose the following:

1. What the concept of the tradition is.
2. The types of spirits that followers of that tradition can summon.
3. The magical associations of those spirit types.
4. The means by which followers of that tradition resist Drain.

-SR4, page 169.

Your concept is flavor text. The types of spirits that you can summon is that you pick five - currently the list is only six long, but there's specifically going to be aditional spirit types later.

There are six basic types of spirits presented here. While these are not the full gamut of spirits that exist in the Sixth World, they are the most common.

-SR4, page 176.

The associations of each spirit is that if you want Earth Spirits to teach you illusion spells instead of water spirits, you can just go ahead and do that (since it really doesn't matter). The means by which you resist Drain is that your drain resistance is your Willpower plus one other mental trait. This means that Orks (who are the master race in SR4) get to resist Drain with Willpower and Intuition.

-Frank
blakkie
Er, that's what i said. Tradition gets built. Then a Tradition is assigned to a PC. Game comes with 2 Traditions already built. Shamanic and Hermetic.

P.S. Also to ease what appears to be your fear that a PC can be built with a mix and match of any spirit type, or mental attribute for resisting drain for that mater, look down a bit further in that section. The last line in that column and then up to the top of the next column where it talks about player and GM working together to define a Tradition that makes sense in the game world.
FrankTrollman
I don't exactly fear the idea of people picking and choosing their favorite spirit types. In fact, one of the selling points of SR4 is that you could just pick any five spirits and summon them. It's actually pretty sweet.

So no, I don't think that we should drop the whole advantageous situation where we can let players just go hog wild and take any spirits they want just so that we can be really lazy when we make new spirit types. We have the capability to make all new spirits fully compatible. It would be totally irresponsible to do anything else.

So under thisstyle, if you want to have a "spirit of labor", you can. And then you can have Fey Servitors if that's your thing. Also, you can have Ant Worker Spirits or Zombie Work Loa. The write-up would be real simple:

Work Spirits:
Skills: Assensing, Astral Combat, Dodge, Percption, Unarmed Combat.
Powers: Accident, Astral Form, Concealment, Materialization (or Possession), Movement, Psychokinesis, Sapience.
Optional Powers: Binding, Fear, Guard, Search

This way, a fairy binding hermetic can summon up a Worker Spirit (which is a Knocker or whatever), and a Universal Brotherhood Hive Mistress can capture people and bind a Worker Spirit into their bodies (which takes the form of an Ant Worker Spirit). It retains symmetricality, and you can let players run around through the daisies selecting whatever spirits they want, because no collection is significantly more or less powerful over all than any other.

If you have the option of setting it up so that players have to be kept under rigorous guard to keep the game from exploding, or you have the option of setting it up so you can just let the players pick anything that appeals to them and have balance maintained, what should you do?

-Frank
Ellery
Doesn't this kind of go against the philosophy of having all magical traditions mechanically the same? This introduces a new mechanic for a new tradition. That way lies madness, or at least barnacles and bailing wire (see SR4 FAQ...5, I believe it was) according to the developers.
FrankTrollman
Doesn't this kind of go against the philosophy of having all magical traditions mechanically the same?

Yes. There are only three ways to reconcile the existence of the Universal Brotherhood and Loa Zombies into SR4:

[*] Remove all references in the fluff to those events and pretend that entire method of doing magic never existed.

[*] Introduce possession magic as something that anyone can do, like when Watcher Spirits were introduced in the 1st edition Manual of Practical Thaumaturgy.

[*] Create a new tradition option, where people have to give up something good (spirit manifestation) to get something else good (spirit possession).

The first option is flat unacceptable to anyone who's played since 1989 (like myself), the second is a powerup of magicians that I can't see any reason for, and the third has the potential to be balanced and interesting while retaining access to the backstory that's been going for 16 years. What's the problem with opion 3?

This introduces a new mechanic for a new tradition.

No. This introduces a new mechanic for several traditions. The Universal Brotherhood, the Houngans, the Bearsarkers, these are all different traditions. They'll summon different spirits and use different drain stats. I see the Inui using Logic to resist Drain while the Houngans probably use Charisma to resist drain. The Indian Avataristas are probably going to use Intuition. Bearsarkers probably use Charisma again, but I don't think anyone is going to mistake them for Houngans.

-Frank
blakkie
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Doesn't this kind of go against the philosophy of having all magical traditions mechanically the same?

Yes. There are only three ways to reconcile the existence of the Universal Brotherhood and Loa Zombies into SR4:

[*] Remove all references in the fluff to those events and pretend that entire method of doing magic never existed.

[*] Introduce possession magic as something that anyone can do, like when Watcher Spirits were introduced in the 1st edition Manual of Practical Thaumaturgy.

[*] Create a new tradition option, where people have to give up something good (spirit manifestation) to get something else good (spirit possession).

I guess i'm missing the angle here, but is there not a way to define a spirit power/spirit type as nasty? Call it fluff, but fluff has real power within the mechanics when direct GM intervention and approval is called for.

Hell there is meat in the spirit types and their powers. If dealing with such spirits exerts influence on the ones using them then any tradition that uses them will also pick up the other end of the stick. Insect spirits are an excellent example of this, as by their vary nature they and their source (the Queen) seek to , and eventually do control the summoner. Toss into the Tradition that they always have a Queen as a Mentor Spirit and you are set.
FrankTrollman
Not everyone who uses possession-style summoning is bad, even in Shadowrun (though most of them are). The point is that the Insect Shamans and the Houngan have spirits that don't have the "materialization" power, but have the "possession" power instead. The entire point of this thread was that this is easy to accomplish.

The question of magical threats is a separate issue. I am curious as to how they are going to handle Toxic Shaman, now that their big trick (being able to spontaneously summon spirits that can cross domain thresholds) is available to literally everyone. But the whole "Magical Threats get arbitrary bonus dice in exchange for doing evil and crazy stuff" mechanic doesn't even need to be tradition specific. It's just a way to give swag to NPCs and always has been, so we don't need anything ultra special to handle that.

Magical threats can apply to anything. The goal here is to make the groundwork for playable possession mages like Houngans so that the Magical Threat template can be layered on top of it with a minimal fuss. Once you've got your PC zombie-makers up and running, your NPC magical threat Budhist Demonologists who take animal spirits out of the great wheel by stealing the bodies of mortals or Wasp Totem body snatchers is simply the act of layering the "Magical Threat" template on an already working mechanic.

-Frank
hahnsoo
Also, don't forget about the Shedim and Imps, the free Spirits who can possess.
Kesh
I suppose the question is: why do you feel it's necessary to give the "posession summoning" ability to the magician, rather than creating spirits with the posession ability which the magician then summons?

Your first post doesn't really clarify this point. You essentially just say the latter is "bad" and don't give a real reason for it.
kigmatzomat
I don't see a big problem. The GM has final approval of any tradition so they can nuke the Munchkinism at its source.

I am a fan of the vodooan style and would handle it thusly:

Voudun
stat: Charisma (lots of negotiation and bargaining)
Mentor: Great Loa only (Erzuli, Papa Legba, Ogun, etc)
Spirits: Man, Loa Rada, Loa Petro, Loa Zombie, Air

Loa Rada are the spirits that possess willing people and share information
Loa Petro are the vengeful ones that can possess the unwilling to wreak havoc
Loa Zombie animate the dead

I tossed spirits of Air in there b/c so many Loa have relationships with weather and Man since at least 2 Great Loa were once houngans.

Insect Shaman
stat: intuition (not a lot of thinking going on here; all instinct)
Mentor: Insect queen (wasp, ant, roach, etc)
Spirit: Warrior, Drone, Worker, Queen, Beast

Each Mentor has their own general suite of spirits.
Warriors are more combat oriented
Workers have advanced non-combat skills
Drones (ahem) service the Queen
Queens grants special powers to the hive
Beast just because I ran out of ideas in the 5 minutes I was willing to spend on this.

Loa and Insect spirits have the posession power. Determining the impact of binding vs. unbound is an excercise I leave to the reader but I would anticipate that unbound spirits can only possess a form for (Net Successes)Minutes while a bound spirit can probably stick around for (Net Successes) hours or days. Possession of the unwilling is resisted by the target's Willpower + Counterspelling and requires (Magic+Essence) successes. Possession of the willing (or dead) is unresisted unless the spirit is unhappy with the idea.

hahnsoo
To add my voice to Kesh's, I'd like to know the same thing. I think it's perfectly reasonable to create a tradition that can summon possessing spirits. You don't need to add the ability of "possession" as part of the tradition, just simply allow the tradition to sommon a spirit that has the possession power. Also, Mait Tete loa can be easily translated to the Mentor Spirit mechanic (albeit, with a stranger relationship than most mages with Mentor Spirits).
FrankTrollman
I suppose the question is: why do you feel it's necessary to give the "posession summoning" ability to the magician, rather than creating spirits with the posession ability which the magician then summons?

1.: Consistency with older editions.
2.: Game Balance.

The consistency idea is obvious. Historically, the people who could possess themselves and others with their spirits have never been able to summon spirits that could materialize on their own.

The game balance idea is a little more subtle, but a lot more convincing. Certainly some things in SR4 are not like things in SR3, and for the most part I'm OK with that. However, when you make your character, you are supposed to be able to select any five spirits for your character to be able to summon. That's really cool. And as soon as there become more than six spirits to choose from, it'll be even cooler (since right now it's basically "choose one spirit you can't summon"). And it's game balanced, since none of the spirits are actually all that different from each other. Their combat dice are pretty similar, their skill list is pretty similar, and so on and so forth. In fact, if a character could only summon a single spirit type (say Water Spirits), people wouldn't really notice because in most circumstances one spirit is as good as another.

But that's not true of a spirit that possesses vs. a spirit that materializes. These spirits function very differently in combat, out of combat, and in between. A character who summons 5 spirits that materializes has a very large power discrepancy with a character who can summon four spirits that materialize and one spirit that possesses.

So the choice, from a game balance perspective, is either:

(*): Make an entirely new list of spirits that possess instead of materialize, and then force people who can summon any possessing spirits to choose entirely off that list.

or

(*): Make some new spirits that anyone can take, and then give traditions the option of trading the materialization power for the possession power on all their spirits during the "choose associations" phase of tradition design.

Both of these are equivalent from a game balance standpoint, but the first is a lot more work (since it requires the creation of a crap tonne more spirits), and is a larger impact on the game (because players are no longer free to choose any spirits they want).

It's not that you can't make an entirely new list of spirits that all have possession and then insert additional rules to keep the game balanced - you can. That would work. It's that by making the materialization/possession trade a tradition choice you are doing less work to make a better game.

After all, in Chinese Buddhist magical traditions, a jealous animal can steal the body of a human and usurp the wheel of life. That sounds a whole lot like using evil Possession Binding to put a Beast Spirit into an unwilling helpless host. There's no reason why we should have to write up an entirely new spirit to represent the bear and tiger spirits that can enter human bodies in Norse and Sichuan magic when we already have Beast Spirits and we can have specific traditions summon them into people instead of having them materialize.

-Frank
Demonseed Elite
I'm of the same mind as Kesh, Kigmatzomat, and Hahnsoo. I can say right now that I really, really doubt you'll see different mechanics built into any of the traditions. You will very likely see new spirit types, but even those will be consistent with the spirits in the SR4 book.

Also, I'd like to reiterate that the intent of the tradition design in SR4 is not so every player gets to pick and choose his spirit types during character creation. The tradition creation guidelines are for cooperation between a gamemaster and a player for creating a tradition that fits the character concept (in the cases where the two provided, Hermetic and Shamanic, don't work). In the end, it's the gamemaster that creates traditions based on the player's explanation of his goals. It isn't just "hey, I'm going to pick five spirits I can summon."
blakkie
....you are supposed to be able to select any five spirits for your character to be able to summon. ...

That is where this is all falling down. That is to define the spirits that are usable by those in a given Tradition. As a player by the rules you CANNOT do this without explicit GM approval.

All that is required is "fluff" in the spirit text and you'll only have those spirits used in their intended roll as interpreted by the GM. That's pretty much a solid mechanic as long as the "fluff" is written clearly to show the intent. So it is safe to put the possession and self-materialization in the spirit, and further logical IC since in [SR3] canon the spirit is the one that comes with the power.

P.S. Also note that if you didn't assign the power to the spirit type then a Free Spirit of that type would not have the power.
FrankTrollman
OK, now I'm just confused. Let me get this straight:

The objectors want to create a new rule where some spirits can possess. And they admit that this creates potential problems and they that this OK because the GM can jolly well walk around behind and clean up after the mess.

Or...

You can do it my way, in which you create a new rule where some can summon spirits that possess. And then this doesn't create any problems at all and the GM can let players transfer characters between cmapaigns and noone can slip something broketastic by the GM with fasttalking or anything.

I am absolutely flabergasted. Ocham would be flabergasted too, and probably cut you with a razor. Making the possession/materialization choice come at the tradition level instead of the spirit level requires:

* Less GM effort, because all the choices come out of the box balanced.
* Less time to explain, because the spirit dichotomy is handled at a higher structural level.
* Less time to write, because you don't need to make new possessing beast spirits for Norwegians to summon.

There is absolutely no advantage to making new spirits over having a tradition choice. All you are arguing for is rules bloat and the potential for a GM to make a mistake and allow an overpowered character who has the best of both worlds. If you aren't personally a powergamer who is trying to sucker your GM into letting you have Loa Rada that possess and Spirits of te Air that materialize separately (thereby being better than any other magician because you have the materializing spirit with the largest attack dice pool and have the option of possessing yourself for greater personal protection and information gathering capabilities), there's no reason why you would support the inherently clunky system of producing extra summonable spirits that have the possessing tag over my proposal. It's more complicated and takes more effort to make a balanced game.

-Frank
blakkie
I'm getting very suspicious of your name. indifferent.gif

EDIT: Ok, i'll bi....er no i won't.....nevermind.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Frank Trollman)
The objectors want to create a new rule where some spirits can possess.  And they admit that this creates potential problems and they that this OK because the GM can jolly well walk around behind and clean up after the mess.

Actually....no. Free spirits will 99.999% likely have Possession as an available power in Street Magic. So no new rule that isn't going to exist anyway.

Some of the spirits' other powers become moot, like Engulf, when using Possession so you can't swap Manifestation and Possession out willy-nilly. I'd rather have new spirits with Possession built with rational thematic power selections. Yes, it requires someone to define new spirits.

Possession in any form creates potential problems, just as Charm/Dominate spells would. Acknowledging the potential does not exascerbate it. Matter of fact, identifying areas that can be problematic up front goes a long way towards mitigating them in play as it gets harder to slip something by a GM.

Finally, I see the possibility of a Tradition with both Possessing and Manifesting spirits. I see no reason at all why Voudun would not have manifesting spirits now that the magic level is high. Heck, a Satanic tradition could have both Manifesting demons and Possession. Your mechanism would not allow for that.
FrankTrollman
Some of the spirits' other powers become moot, like Engulf

No they don't. Let's check Engulf from SR4:

The engulf power gives a critter the ability to draw victims into itself or the terrain it controls, thus smothering the victim.
So a character possessed by an Earth Spirit and hammer someone into the ground, a character possessed by a Fire Spirit can light people on fire and hold them aloft on tendrils of flame. There aren't any spirit powers in SR4 (except Materialization and Astral Form) that the basic spirits have that can't just be used as normal by a character possessed by the spirit that has them.

The spirit powers are:

Accident - a character possessed by such a spirit can cause accidents.
Animal Control - the character can command relevant animals (Bears for Berserkers, Snakes for Houngans, Wasps for Invae, etc.)
Astral Form - as part of the Materialization swap out, this is going to be replaced by "dual natured".
Binding - a character can grab people super hard.
Concealment - the character can conceal stuff.
Elemental Attack - the character can shoot energy bolts at people.
Energy Aura - the character can set herself on fire.
Engulf The character can draw people into the controlled terrain type.
Enhanced Senses - the character's senses improve (may be useless if she already has this enhanced sense)
Fear - The character causes fear.
Guard - the character can protect stuff.
Innate Spell - This optional power doesn't do anything on first inspection, because it simply gives you access to a spell you can already cast. However, if you overcast the summoning into yourself you then get a better casting platform and you can also give spells to spirits that you bind into other bodies.
Materialization - this is going to be replaced with "possession".
Movement - the character can make things move faster. Wheee!
Natural Weapon - the character gets big claws or a stinger or whatever. Doesn't completely destroy your ability to use stealth because this is an optional power.
Noxious Breath - the character can halitosize all over people.
Psychokinesis - even more useful for the character, since she doesn't already fly.
Sapience - I certainly hope that the character can use this power, although for some players I am unsure.
Search - The character can find stuff. There's no LOS restriction anymore, so this works even if you are stuck in a single body.
Venom - the character's natural attacks become poisonous. This is already only available if you decide to start growing a stinger or snake fangs (for Invae and Damballah followers). So no problem.
weather control - the character can change the weather.

So that's the list. And no, there aren't any powers on it that screw things up. You must be thinking about the SR3 power list (which I wouldn't even try to do something like this for).

-Frank
Draconis
QUOTE (blakkie)
I'm getting very suspicious of your name. indifferent.gif

Frank is using his real name here, which amuses me.

Cynic project
QUOTE (Draconis)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 2 2005, 07:40 PM)
I'm getting very suspicious of your name.  indifferent.gif

Yes, Yes he is. He is like my GM most a lot of the time.
blakkie
QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 2 2005, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 2 2005, 07:40 PM)
I'm getting very suspicious of your name.  indifferent.gif

rotfl.gif You know this fellow IRL? Is he always like this? I mean i'm on the optimistic side of things, and 4 posts in i cut bait. It isn't just his name. He, he reminds me a lot of a poster personna named Bugaboo from some time back at ENWorld.
Cynic project
Well, for the msot part he is blunt and tells you turth. He works witht the rules and trys to make the rules balanced and or reasonable, mostly balanced. So does he go into the rules and see all the flaws, yes.This isn't always a bad or godo thing. We do nto agre on many things but if you talk to him he will use reason and can be reasoned with.
blakkie
QUOTE (Cynic project @ Sep 2 2005, 03:50 PM)
Well, for the msot part he is blunt and tells you turth. He works witht the rules and trys to make the rules balanced and or reasonable, mostly balanced.  So does he go into the rules and see all the flaws, yes.This isn't always a bad or godo thing. We do nto agre on many things but if you talk to him he will use reason and can be reasoned with.

What puzzles and threw up warning flags was how he got from GM having approval on any custom Traditon to:

The objectors want to create a new rule where some spirits can possess. And they admit that this creates potential problems and they that this OK because the GM can jolly well walk around behind and clean up after the mess.

Somehow he doesn't occur to him, or register with him that putting the by GM approval, not recommended flag Traditions such as Insect and Voodoo is basically the same thing as putting a GM approval, not reccommended flag on the spirit type.

Followed up by:
And then this doesn't create any problems at all....

After i mentioned a glaring one, that if the power isn't with the spirit you have to involve using his new summoned spirit rules under the caster centeric Tradition to build/run a free spirit who has no associated summoner (unless he is newly freed).

This as a product of discarding inplace infrastructure in SR4 to create a new design that works counter to it.

Ocham rolling over in his grave indeed.
FrankTrollman
Somehow he doesn't occur to him, or register with him that putting the by GM approval, not recommended flag Traditions such as Insect and Voodoo is basically the same thing as putting a GM approval, not reccommended flag on the spirit type.

Dude... I'm right here. Please don't talk about me in the third person on my own thread, it's exceptionally rude.

However, pretending for the moment that your objection (not actually articulated by you until now) was phrased in a coherent and polite fashion to me, I can now address it:

There is no reason in SR4 for Insect Totems or Voodoo to have "GM approval, not recommended" flags on them. Magic Threats still need those (and should probably have the "you can't play one, stop asking" tags instead), but the traditions of magic can be integrated just fine without the Threat potential for use by PCs. The SR3 Voodoo and Insect Spirit rules were extremely specific - a spirit of Azaca or Obatalla and a spirit of Ant Worker or Warrior behaved entirely different from a game mechanical fashion. Much like how Water Elementals, River Spirits, and Ocean Spirits all had their own crazy rules. But in SR4, spirits have been simplified. Each character can summon exactly five, and so as long as the spirits stay general, that's plenty to cover just about any tradition you'd care to think of.

But while we have nothing against people playing Berserkers or Jade Wheel society Members, or Houngans, it's still unbalanced for people to have possession magic and manifesting spirits at the same time (since other traditions have to choose between one or the other, I don't think I have to draw you a diagram to show how it would be overpowered to be able to choose both). So if the spirits who possess people are off separate lists, there are going to be a bunch of spirits that are going to be part of traditions that should be freely available to PC use - but combinations of spirit types that should be banned outright.

Let's say that we make the barest minimum number of possessor spirits available for summoning - that would be five. Now we have five spirits that are perfectly OK for PCs to use and don't bother us a bit. But we have to ban every combination that has at least one spirit form the basic book and one spirit from the new list (because having both is rightly banned). That's 30 unique pairs that are not allowed. That's four hundred and fifty five total packages that are not allowed. In the simplest possible case. In a more reasonable setup, where we add an additional 4 potentially summonable standard materializers and about 7 possessors, we are left with banning five thousand, nine hundred and fifteen combinations (or perhaps specifically allowing the remaining two hundred and seventy three, but honestly I don't want to go there either).

So now that I know what your objection is, I hope you don't get offended when I say that I don't consider it a problem. Yes, you could do things by specifically banning the problem spirit groups, but that's a much taller order than just setting it up so that there aren't any problem groups in the first place.

After i mentioned a glaring one, that if the power isn't with the spirit you have to involve using his new summoned spirit rules under the caster centeric Tradition to build/run a free spirit who has no associated summoner (unless he is newly freed).

The power is with the spirit. The tradition replaces "astral form" and "materialization" with "dual natured" and "possession" - so your problem here isn't one.

Remember, a Berserker gets possessed by Sky Father (Air Spirits), Earth Mother (Earth Spirits), Narwhal (I'm guessing Water Spirits), Great Warrior (needs a new "Warrior Spirit", which will also serve for Obatala and Wasp Warriors), and Bear or Wolf (which are collectively Beast Spirits). That's five (assuming that we make Bear and Wolf into the same thing). So to do Bererkers up right we need to either:

Rewrite all the spirits that do basically the same thing that a possessor tradition needs to do (which is all of them when you include just Houngans, Berserkers, Invae, and Disciples of the Holy Spirit). Then write all the extra spirits that these traditions need (Worker Spirits, Warrior Spirits, Fertility Spirits, and Ancestor Spirits). Then rewrite all of those spirits that various traditions of materializing summoning magicians need (all of them actually). Then, and this is the most important part, make fraggin sure somehow that nothing from column A ends up in column B even though the only real difference is the availability of the "possession" or "materialization" power in case after case, which basically means that Players can't be trusted to select their own spirits any more.

Or...

Write all the new spirits you need for the new traditions you are introducing. Put in a rule that allows an individual tradition to swap Possession for Materialization on all the spirits it summons.

Which one of these is less work? I'm guessing that the one where you write up four new spirits and a rule that's perhaps as long as three sentences is perhaps a tiny bit simpler and easier to convey than the one in which you write up fourteen new spirit types and then write up a rule that out of the 15,504 possible combinations of spirits, only 504 of them should be considered acceptable under any circumstances.

Which one works better game mechanically? Well, actually they are exactly the same at this point. Just that one involves several extra layers for mistakes to be made and the other does not.

---

Now back to your Free Spirit complaint... one of us is obviously not taking their crazy pills. I honestly don't see how spirits that show up spontaneously on their own not being summoned and bound into physical bodies is at all a problem. Or if it was, you could just say that sometimes spirits manifest spontaneously into bodies as if they were summoned by possession magicians instead of the regular kind.

-Frank
kigmatzomat
First off, you're ignoring my point about mixed possession/manifestion traditions or suggesting it is bad ("No mixing of Column A and Column B"). Just because real-world traditions only have possession now doesn't mean there won't be manifestation later.

Second, the old SR books had 4 sets of spirit stats per insect totem. No real change from my warrior/drone/worker/queen concept. No extra work on that front.

Third, I don't see variety to be a problem. More is generally better as long as they are not redundant and are balanced. At a certain point there's no difference but a name.

Fourth, I disagree that all spirits would be possssion type. Meaning no need to recreate Fire, Water, Earth or Air elementals with possession.

Lastly, I personally think the berserker would fit a Mystic Adept better.
hahnsoo
I think it's safe to say that while all of us like the (re)addition of Voodoo as a tradition, some of us disagree with your specific implementation of it. While it may be fine for your gaming group, and some others may like it, some of us find the details of how you intend to implement it either counter to the spirit of the SR4 rules (breaking of tradition barriers) or too restrictive or rules-heavy when a simple GM approval will suffice.

I don't think it would be too unbalancing to have a tradition that can summon both possession and manifesting spirits, if the tradition is given careful thought and consideration, and not there to combine "best of both worlds". Unless, of course, it is a Path of the Righ NPC magician...
FrankTrollman
First off, you're ignoring my point about mixed possession/manifestion traditions or suggesting it is bad ("No mixing of Column A and Column B").

I'm not ignoring it, but I am saying it's bad. Materializing spirits have a great deal of utility inherent in their ability to do that. Possessing spirits have a great deal of utility locked up in that ability as well. When you possess yourself you can drastically increase your own survivability in some cases (you get weapon immunity for goodness sake), apply your skills to the stat line of a spirit, or just use spirit powers over and over again until the possession time runs out - but a materializing spirit can be sent on a remote service suicide run against people on the other side of a wall or fly up in the air to go deal with a problem.

Years of experience and two editions worth of Houngan play have shown us that possession summoners are potentially balanced against summoners of external manifesting spirits. But they haven't shown us that the ability to summon both externally manifesting spirits and possessing spirits is balanced against the ability to do either one alone. In fact, that's impossible. Assuming that the ability to possess yourself or to summon an externally manifesting spirit is worth anything, which I think is a pretty safe assumption, then the ability to do both is by definition better than the ability to do one or the other. A + B > A v B. That's not subject to debate as long as both A and B are positive, and in this case they are.

More is generally better as long as they are not redundant and are balanced.

Absolutely. But once you've balanced the Hermetic (who can summon five different kinds of spirit that start in astral form and have the materialization power) against the Houngan (who can summon five different types of spirit that all possess his own body), then you're up a creek trying to balance that against the Omniconjurer (who can summon 2 different spirits that start in astral form and can materialize and 3 different spirits that he can possess himself with). The Omniconjurer can do the primary schtick of both the Hermetic and the Houngan, and that's never ever going to be balanced. Sure, the Hermetic can conjure up a Fire Spirt, but the Omniconjurer can put energy aura on an air spirit as one of the optional powers if he for some reason wants to do that. And while the Houngan can possess herself with Legba and get movement at will for 12 hours(or whatever), the Omniconjurer can take movement as an optional power on a spirit of Obatala and get the same game mechanically important effect.

As to redundancy, I find the idea of having a separate write-up for "Spirits of Agwe" that have the ability to possess people to be totally redundant with "Spirits of Water". It's just plain easier to toggle that one power set than it is to make an entirely new writeup that is only really different in that one power.

Lastly, I personally think the berserker would fit a Mystic Adept better.

You're welcome to think that. I certainly won't barge into your house and execute you for thought crimes or anything, but I completely disagree. The word "Berserker" comes from the word "Bear". Berserkers were supposed to literally take the spirits of animals into themselves giving them great strength, near invulnerability to weapons, and animalistic madness. If that doesn't get to be "spirit possession", then I honestly don't know what does.

-Frank
blakkie
Dude... I'm right here. Please don't talk about me in the third person on my own thread, it's exceptionally rude.

Oh man, that brings back memories. I miss Bugaboo sometimes. *sigh* But this guy writes like he studied at the foot of the master himself.
FrankTrollman
By the way, the report post button is broken and the "forums@dumpshock.com" address is undeliverable to. Does anyone know how one actually gets the Moderator to come down on someone who repeatedly hijacks a thread by using third person insults and tirades about irrelevent people on different boards?

I'm not new to Shadowrun, but I am new to Dumpshock, do we really have to put up with people being unrepentent jerks like this? That seems like a recipe for collapse into total anarchy and flame war territory if true. I realize that Blakkie probably thinks he's being funny, but mostly he's just being a net troll. I'd like that sort of behavior to go to an off topic forum where I don't have to look at it amongst serious discussion of actual rules issues.

-Frank
Crusher Bob
Hmm, the problem with your report post button may be browser based, which browser are you using?

And yes, you more or less have to put up with people like that. It's usually better to ignore them, as getting defensive just weakens your position.

From what I remember, bug shamans were able to have both 'true form' manefesting spirits and 'flesh form' possessing spirits.

Ideally, I'd like the 'tradition creation system' to be able to handle someone who can do both, but this will lead to either single 'spirit type' summoners gimped or require making half power type rules for a tradition that chooses to do both. One quick idea is to not allow the summoer to call manefesting spirits while possesed but they still have versatility over single type summoners...
Toshiaki
Bug spirits would be a bit problematic. Even thier true form spirits (ie, traditional, non-corporeal entities) had to be invested into a human host for an incubation period. Then depending on a roll of the dice, they became true or flesh forms. In either case the host is fragged.
FrankTrollman
Hmm, the problem with your report post button may be browser based, which browser are you using?

Mozilla. That's an open-source Netscape, so I would think that it would work fine. Oh well.

And yes, you more or less have to put up with people like that.

I was afraid of that. Shucks. On to important matters:

From what I remember, bug shamans were able to have both 'true form' manefesting spirits and 'flesh form' possessing spirits.

Yes. Sort of. When a Bug Shaman took a normal human and forcibly implanted a spirit into him or her, that person eventually made a Willpower test, and the number of successes determined what came out the other end: True Form (which was an astral spirit with manifestation), Flesh Form (a permanently dual natured creature), Flesh-Form with the ability to nearly be copyright infringement on W40K Genestealer Cults, and finally "Stealth Form" (which was human looking and had masking for no reason). The spirits you actually summoned were Worker, Soldier, and Queen (which did not exist in the whole True-Form/Flesh Form thing).

So to a very real degree, that's five spirit types right there: Flesh Form Workers, True Form Workers, Flesh Form Soldiers, True Form Soldiers, and Queens. However, while sacrificing a human is sort of a high price to pay for a maerializing bound spirit, in many ways it isn't, and the combination of physical possessed humans with astral materializers was very very powerful (more powerful than anyone in SR4 is supposed to be). Certainly, with the body counts that some SR groups rack up, the need to sacrifice a human every time you made a bound spirit would amount to little more than flavor text in a lot of instances.

I would rather just make up a spirit type for Workers, Soldiers, and Queens, and then give them two of the basic ones (I suggest Air Spirits and Beast Spirits myself, but your mileage may vary). This would be something of a departure for Insect Spirits, but put them firmly on the power level of Houngans - and if the SR4 goal of fighting rulesbloa is to be achieved, that's the direction we have to go. I think that uniting Hermetic and Shamanic Conjuring is a bigger step, and SR4 has already done that. Comparatively, folding the Invae into Voodoo is very minor indeed.

Ideally, I'd like the 'tradition creation system' to be able to handle someone who can do both, but this will lead to either single 'spirit type' summoners gimped or require making half power type rules for a tradition that chooses to do both.

One option I've seriously considered is adding an Edg... Positive Quality that would allow dual summoning. Perhaps a 10 or 15 pointer. That's kind of cheap, but a conjurer is already seriously pushing the 35 point Positive Qualities limit just by being a Magician in the first place.

----

The Great Loa:

Agwe - Now a Spirit of Water
Azaca - Now a Spirit of Man
Damballah - This is a hard one. Partly this could be done as a Spirit of Beasts, but really the signature ability is Divination and Magical Guard, along with Animal Control. This should therefore be whatever the Queen Spirit gets called by Insect shaman. So I guess it's an ancestor Spirit
Erzulie - Now also a Spirit of Man
Ghede - Now an Ancestor Spirit.
Legba - Also an Ancestor Spirit.
Obatala - Still an Ancestor Spirit.
Ogoun - This is a tough one. Both Ogoun and Shango should be Fire Spirits you'd think, but Fire Spirits actually don't have Fire Immunity in SR4 (typo?), and in any case don't get Concealment. So Ogoun and Shango work out as Air Spirits bizzarely enough.
Shango - Air Spirit, but see above.

So all 9 of the great loa (and the Work Loa Zombies) can be fit into five categories:

Water
Air (?)
Man
Ancestor
Worker

Ancestor Spirits have the following powers:

Accident, (Astral Form), Confusion, Divination, Guard, Magical Guard, (Materialization), and Search.

And the following Optional Powers:
Animal Control, Concealment, Influence, Mind Link.

----

To get the old Invaesion under way, Magical Threats should probably have the following additional powers available to their spirits:

Aura Masking.

Conjuring (the spirit gets a skill in Conjuring, which can be real small and still have this be a bad bad thing for everyone around).

-Frank
Demonseed Elite
I think some of this is starting to move in the right direction, but I have a question about that spirit breakdown.

Why Ancestor spirits? The current view with SR4 is that Ancestor spirits have mostly been rolled into Spirits of Man. And in the case of this breakdown, I don't see much need for re-creating the Ancestor spirit category. The only real difference between Spirits of Man and the Ancestor Spirits you have there is Divination, which isn't a listed power in the SR4 core book (at least in my drafts, I don't have a physical copy of the book yet). That and the Mind Link optional power, which also isn't in the SR4 core book.

Seems to me that when SR4 gets around to the advanced spirit rules (whether that's in Street Magic or Running Wild, I don't know yet), you could just expand Spirits of Man to include the new critter powers of Possession, Divination, Mind Link, and whatever else is necessary. You could also add Possession as an optional power to other spirit types, which often comes into play in the Voudoun tradition.

Combining that Ancestor spirit type into Man opens up a fifth category for Voudoun, which I think Spirits of Beasts would fit well into.

I do like the idea of an added spirit category of Worker Spirits, which if done right, could definitely be used by both Voudoun and Insect Shamans, though with different flavor. I could also imagine Worker Spirits being used by other traditions, like Qabbalism (the golem myth, for instance).
FrankTrollman
Why Ancestor spirits?

Because Spirits of Man don't get access to Divination, Magical Guard, Mind Link or Animal Control. That's four powers that are key to several Loa and Queen Spirits. The way the optional powers system works in SR4, we can then get all the key powers of Queens, Ghede, Legba, Obatala and Damballah without making up five different new spirits.

Divination, which isn't a listed power in the SR4 core book

But none of the spirits had divination or magical guard in the last three editions of the base book either, so I'm OK with that.

Seems to me that when SR4 gets around to the advanced spirit rules (whether that's in Street Magic or Running Wild, I don't know yet), you could just expand Spirits of Man to include the new critter powers of Possession, Divination, Mind Link, and whatever else is necessary.

That's a possibility. But I'm currently operating under the assumption that conjurors don't get any more powerful than they already are, and that additional traditions should be balanced against magicians as they stand now. Which means that it's OK for them to summon different spirits with different powers, but not to just add powers to spirits as they currently stand.

I do like the idea of an added spirit category of Worker Spirits, which if done right, could definitely be used by both Voudoun and Insect Shamans, though with different flavor. I could also imagine Worker Spirits being used by other traditions, like Qabbalism (the golem myth, for instance).

Absolutely. I'm looking mostly at them having a larger and more optionalized skill list than other spirits. A spirit that has Artisan would be extremely useful, even if it never got energy aura.

-Frank
blakkie
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Sep 3 2005, 03:27 AM)

The Report feature does not function. Perhaps disabled to avoid frivilous [ab]use? Or that could just be a coincidental benefit. cyber.gif
Demonseed Elite
Because Spirits of Man don't get access to Divination, Magical Guard, Mind Link or Animal Control. That's four powers that are key to several Loa and Queen Spirits. The way the optional powers system works in SR4, we can then get all the key powers of Queens, Ghede, Legba, Obatala and Damballah without making up five different new spirits.

Well, true, but no one gets access to Divination or Mind Link yet, because those powers don't exist yet in SR4. When those powers are added to the game, I could definitely see Spirits of Man getting access to them.

On Magical Guard, all bound spirits in SR4 can add dice to Counterspelling, which is what Spell Defense has become in SR4. The only catch is that the spirit can only add Counterspelling dice that apply to spells in its category (each of the five spirit categories a magician can summon in SR4 being linked to one of the five spell categories).

The lack of Animal Control on Spirits of Man might be a problem, but I'm not sure yet. I think in terms of Voudoun, that's why I'd like to see Spirits of Beasts added, to allow them to have those effects elsewhere. As for Queens, I'm really leery of classifying Insect Queens as Spirits of Man. Mainly because insect shamans don't conjure multiple Queen spirits, they can only have one. Queens are more like Mentor Spirits, in a way, but they are very physically real Mentor Spirits.

That's a possibility. But I'm currently operating under the assumption that conjurors don't get any more powerful than they already are, and that additional traditions should be balanced against magicians as they stand now. Which means that it's OK for them to summon different spirits with different powers, but not to just add powers to spirits as they currently stand.

I see what you're saying, but I wouldn't be surprised if the spirit power lists were expanded when new powers are added. At the very least in the Optional Powers category (since that doesn't really make any single spirit more powerful, it just broadens the possibilities). I think that's more likely than adding new spirit categories which are very similar to existing ones.

Absolutely. I'm looking mostly at them having a larger and more optionalized skill list than other spirits. A spirit that has Artisan would be extremely useful, even if it never got energy aura.

Yeah, I can definitely see them as some sort of general-purpose laborer spirit. Possibly one that doesn't possess Materialization, but must invest itself into some shell. Voudoun often uses corpses (zombies), Insect Shamans use metahuman hosts, Qabbalists use constructed golems, etc.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 2 2005, 06:34 PM)

Buh wha? That's bull.
Let's say that we make the barest minimum number of possessor spirits available for summoning - that would be five. Now we have five spirits that are perfectly OK for PCs to use and don't bother us a bit. But we have to ban every combination that has at least one spirit form the basic book and one spirit from the new list (because having both is rightly banned). That's 30 unique pairs that are not allowed. That's four hundred and fifty five total packages that are not allowed. In the simplest possible case. In a more reasonable setup, where we add an additional 4 potentially summonable standard materializers and about 7 possessors, we are left with banning five thousand, nine hundred and fifteen combinations (or perhaps specifically allowing the remaining two hundred and seventy three, but honestly I don't want to go there either).

Inappropriate scaling. As long as you still have two lists, the problem does not increase, no matter how much you imply it does.
Which one of these is less work? I'm guessing that the one where you write up four new spirits and a rule that's perhaps as long as three sentences is perhaps a tiny bit simpler and easier to convey than the one in which you write up fourteen new spirit types and then write up a rule that out of the 15,504 possible combinations of spirits, only 504 of them should be considered acceptable under any circumstances.

"A single tradition may not summon both spirits capable of materialization and spirits capable of possession."

Either I am badly misunderstanding the argument here, or you win the straw man of the month award already.
Hmm, the problem with your report post button may be browser based

It isn't. Try actually submitting a report. Or trying to view the moderator list.

~J
FrankTrollman
Kage, if you have two lists, you're doing it my way, except with hierarchical control at a lower level which makes you have to write up twice as many spirits.

Kage's Suggestion: Introduce new rule that a tradition can choose all of its spirits off an entirley separate list in which all the spirits have had Astral Form and Materialization swapped out for Dual Natured and Possession. (Requires actually writing this second copy of every single spirit type)

My Suggestion: Introduce a new rule that a tradition can swap Astral Form and Materialization for Dual Natured and Possession on all of the spirits that they can summon.

Properly employed, these are equivalent statements. The only real difference is that the Kage suggestion requires you to write up N new spirit entries (where N is the number of spirits the game supports at that time), and implies that someone might be able to con their GM into letting them play a Path of the Righ Omniconjuror at no cost.

I don't see the advantage. The number of new rules is identical. The end effect is identical. The only game mechanical difference is that your way of handling things requires more paper to explain the same concept, and the only logistical difference is that the intent of your version is less clear.

On Magical Guard, all bound spirits in SR4 can add dice to Counterspelling, which is what Spell Defense has become in SR4. The only catch is that the spirit can only add Counterspelling dice that apply to spells in its category (each of the five spirit categories a magician can summon in SR4 being linked to one of the five spell categories).

Elementals have always been able to do that, and yet the Magical Guard power has existed just fine in previous editions. The Magical Guard power allows:

1. The use of a Skill in addition to just Force.
2. The counterspelling of a spell from any school of magic instead of just one.

That's a big deal, and more than enough to justify a power.

Queens are more like Mentor Spirits, in a way, but they are very physically real Mentor Spirits.

Technically, Queens are the character in the old rules, and the shaman is just the flunky. The Queen has her own Conjuring Skill and the Shaman loses all his power if the Queen dies. But we'd scale that aspect back if the Insect Spirits became PCs (which they could if they drank a little less crazy juice in terms of unique game mechanics).

As to what to call the spirit that is Damballah, Obatala, or a Queen - honestly I don't care. Game mechanically it could be called "Spirit #7" or whatever. It's just a list of powers that overlaps somewhat with the other spirits and has a few unique schticks (access to Magical Guard, Mind Link, and Divination). I chose to call it "Ancestor Spirit" because it had the special powers that Ancestor Spirits had in SR3 (which Spirits of Man do not), and because "Ancestor" is a term that can be bent to include a Hive Queen (because she's the all-mother) or Ghede (because he's totally dead already). If it's important to you that "Ancestor" spirits be Spirits of Man now, then the new spirit type will need a new name. It still needs to be there though, because the powers are not (and should not be) available on any of the Spirits in the basi book.

Spirits of Man are already extremely powerful with the fact that they have the ability to cast any spell the summoner knows with a Magic Attribute and spellcasting skill equal to their force. I seriously don't think they need to gain access to all the cool things that a Hive Queen can do on top of that.

-Frank
Demonseed Elite
Elementals have always been able to do that, and yet the Magical Guard power has existed just fine in previous editions. The Magical Guard power allows:

1. The use of a Skill in addition to just Force.
2. The counterspelling of a spell from any school of magic instead of just one.

That's a big deal, and more than enough to justify a power.

It's a big deal, yeah, but I wouldn't necessarily assume that power will exist in SR4. Something like it might appear, but with the way Spell Defense and Spirits have been reworked, it may just vanish.

Technically, Queens are the character in the old rules, and the shaman is just the flunky. The Queen has her own Conjuring Skill and the Shaman loses all his power if the Queen dies. But we'd scale that aspect back if the Insect Spirits became PCs (which they could if they drank a little less crazy juice in terms of unique game mechanics).

I definitely wouldn't reach as far as to say that FanPro will ever make Insect Shaman a playable possibility. They really aren't meant to be. But I do think there will be an attempt to work them into the existing mechanics. That may mean that Insect Shaman, instead of a Mentor Spirit, have something else, which is definitely more concrete. The Queen. Or it may take the form of something like a spirit pact, which might be open to other spellcasters (but Insect Shaman form a pact with a unique type of spirit, the Insect Queen spirits).

Spirits of Man are already extremely powerful with the fact that they have the ability to cast any spell the summoner knows with a Magic Attribute and spellcasting skill equal to their force. I seriously don't think they need to gain access to all the cool things that a Hive Queen can do on top of that.

Yeah, I really don't see Spirits of Man and Insect Queens having anything in common at all. Conceptually or on a power comparison basis.
hahnsoo
Dude, you're not defending a thesis here. You don't have to prove that you are "right" and that we are "wrong". A key and essential part of forum discussion is opening the topic for other alternative suggestions, and encouraging diversion rather than adoption. Most of what I'm seeing is a debate over semantics and subjective personal preference. Some people will choose to do it differently, and not only do you have to be willing to accept this, but encourage it as well.

The discussion is coming off as being flame-worthy from the original poster, taking offense at criticism (especially with the fact that you were trying to report other people) rather than someone who is open-minded and willing to discuss new ideas. Take a chill pill, relax, and remember, you don't have to reply to every single person in the thread. You've done a good enough job explaining how you want to implement your house rules already.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012