Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Orleans = Chicago
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ambidextrous
Has anyone looked at the situation in the Big Easy and thought about the parallels it has to SR Chicago's bug infestation? People are dying in the streets. There is no authority. Looting is rampant. No food, no water. No way out. They created two major shelters that they told people to go to. The SuperDome and the Convention Center. They have left the people at the Convention Center to die. They have no resources to give them. They can't even get buses there to move them somewhere else.

This shit is so crazy.
Sabosect
All we need to learn now is that some organization within New Orleans is really terrorist, the government said nothing, and the flooding problems resulted from cleanup failures.
de4dmeta1
I just found this while surfing the Intertron. It's the online journal of a guy still inside New Orleans. Some of the stuff in there is amazing: for example, one police officer didn't even know they were under martial law until he was told by the author. They had to commandeer moving trucks for transport because their entire precinct is under water.

And yes, it is very reminiscent of Bug City.
Talia Invierno
They aren't under martial law. They are under a state of emergency, which is fairly powerful in and of itself. It is possible to send in both Guard and other branches of the armed forces outside of martial law, and the state and federal governments are carefully avoiding declaring it.

Martial law was reported by New Orleans CBS affiliate WWL-TV on Tuesday, 11:52 AM (ET), and the rumour spread quickly and was even picked up by the mayor of New Orleans. Since then, several authorities have been trying to counter the rumour, such as the Secretary of Homeland Security and Lt. Gen. H Steven Blum ("This is not martial law").

Of course, given Louisiana state law, the distinction may be mostly a semantic one.
ambidextrous
It sounds like they need martial law though. If the reports of violence are true then they need to get in there.

Watching the tv tonight showing scenes of people converging on the Superdome in an attempt to board far to few buses bound for the outside reminded me of scenes from the SR novel Burning Bright.
Sabosect
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane_katri...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

It's worse. From that, I gather people have a very good reason to take it upon themselves. By all appearances, the people supposed to help are the last people you should rely on in most cases.
ShadowDragon8685
Sabosect:

Quoth the Server, "404!"
Wounded Ronin
Meh, the big thing about New Orleans is that there were a lot of urban poor and desperate people *before* the disaster. When authority and social structure breaks down, people who are really desperate and who feel like society's been out to get them start acting out by shooting at aid workers and whatnot.

I studied public health for 1 year in New Orleans, and I actually just got out a few weeks before Katrina. That's my perspective on the situation there.
Sabosect
Actually, going by what I have read, all of the shooting at relief workers has been a case of people desperate to get relief after being passed up several times. You can only watch so many choppers fly by while you are stuck on the roof of your house before you go a little nuts. Add in a lack of food, water, and sanitation to that.

Oh, and from the blog, I gather that mostly these people going hostile are reacting to hostile attitudes towards them from cops first, then the relief workers, and finally the military. All in all, right now I would say the most qualified people to deal with this are not the ones dealing with it. In other words, I think it's time we got the Americans out and asked another nation or the International Red Cross for help. I normally prefer not to speak ill of our relief efforts, but in this case I can find examples of third world dictators that look better in comparison.

As for the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/hurricanes_...tropical_storms

It's the New Orleans story titled New Orleans in Anarchy With Fights, Rapes
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ambidextrous)
Has anyone looked at the situation in the Big Easy and thought about the parallels it has to SR Chicago's bug infestation?

Not a chance. In my opinion the situation in New Orleans has a much faster onset and is much, much less serious.

~J
Supercilious
I wish I was there, to form the Neo-@'s.
Gomez
QUOTE (Sabosect)
All in all, right now I would say the most qualified people to deal with this are not the ones dealing with it. In other words, I think it's time we got the Americans out and asked another nation or the International Red Cross for help. I normally prefer not to speak ill of our relief efforts, but in this case I can find examples of third world dictators that look better in comparison.

Yeah lets ask the Germans, British, and French to stage a big rescue operation in New Orleans. That will do it. eek.gif

That has got to be one of the ill thought through and asinine suggestions that I have ever heard of.

I agree that there should have been a better plan and resources in place in case something like this happened. But to say that the people who are trying to help out are the problem is crazy.
Supercilious
QUOTE (Gomez)
QUOTE (Sabosect @ Sep 2 2005, 12:29 AM)
All in all, right now I would say the most qualified people to deal with this are not the ones dealing with it. In other words, I think it's time we got the Americans out and asked another nation or the International Red Cross for help. I normally prefer not to speak ill of our relief efforts, but in this case I can find examples of third world dictators that look better in comparison.

Yeah lets ask the Germans, British, and French to stage a big rescue operation in New Orleans. That will do it. eek.gif

That has got to be one of the ill thought through and asinine suggestions that I have ever heard of.

I agree that there should have been a better plan and resources in place in case something like this happened. But to say that the people who are trying to help out are the problem is crazy.

Ordered to stay in the city at gunpoint?

Yeah, I would say our "relief effort" is a pretty damn big problem.
Blacken
This is what would be generously called a high-threat area. The military is not your friend. The police are not your friend. The relief teams are not your friend. They are there to keep order and do what they can for the populace at large. If you're hiding out on a rooftop and there are three of you, whereas there are thousands in X location--guess what? You're getting passed over. It's the tragedy of statistics, folks.

If you start shooting at them, you are no longer a "trapped civilian." You are a lawbreaker and an enemy. Is that harsh? Yeah, it is. Is it unreasonable? No, I don't think so.
Supercilious
Thousands trapped in the city center? (I think) waiting for buses that never came? Dying of dehydration and starvation...

I love how we are helping everyone. IMHO I think they should just let everyone out of the city, atleast. Construct a tent-camp or something, but my blood froths when I hear about people being locked in that hell-hole by their helpers. It completely shatters my illusion that the government, while not idyllic, is not out to get me/us/them/they.
Blacken
There's nowhere to put all of them, Supercilious. Right now the safest thing for the maximum number of people is to lock the city down. Yeah, it really and truly sucks for the people who are in there. But where are they going to go outside the city? How many are going to sit in a tent camp where there's still not going to be enough supplies? How many are going to leave said tent camp and try to "find things" outside?

We'll move looters from inside to outside.
durthang
Greater good or not, there is something terribly wrong about locking people in where many of them have or will die.
Blacken
We use medical triage, don't we?
Arethusa
QUOTE (Blacken)
There's nowhere to put all of them, Supercilious. Right now the safest thing for the maximum number of people is to lock the city down. Yeah, it really and truly sucks for the people who are in there. But where are they going to go outside the city? How many are going to sit in a tent camp where there's still not going to be enough supplies? How many are going to leave said tent camp and try to "find things" outside?

We'll move looters from inside to outside.

Actually, Blacken, that's not true. There is much less damage once you go further inland, and at this point, locking down the city and setting up an organized refugee exodus to a guarded camp is the best way to do it. It's not pleasant, it's expensive as hell, and people don't want to talk about it, but the entire area is too much of a mess right now to attempt to rebuild and maintain order while people are present and starving.

When society forgets and oppresses you and the breaks down, you can only be so hungry and lost before everything explodes. This is what we are seeing now. It will only get worse. I'm honestly tempted to get a gun and a camera and drive down there for a month to watch people do terrible things to eachother.
Blacken
You can't make an "organized refugee exodus" for numbers in the five- and six-digit range, Arethusa. Not easily, not effectively, and not in such a way as to complete the objective.

They stay in and they prey on the unfortunates inside the city. They get out and they prey on everyone around.
Arethusa
It's happened in other countries before, and we can do it now for less than what Iraq is costing us. More than the monetary and logistical demands— which are great, but mot definitely not insurmountable— I find most are simply unwilling to accept the concept of an American refugee.

Moreover, I don't think you understand that you cannot draw a clear line between 'them' and 'us'. The people looting and killing eachother aren't much different from the people being looted and killed. But if you really want to draw lines, be more accurate about it: poor people are attacking rich people.
Blacken
Rapists are poor people attacking rich people?

And I'm generalizing with "them" and "us." Of course I am. I realize that. But in a situation like this it's rather hard to cogently discuss a topic without some degree of labeling, if for convenience's sake alone.

And don't try to bring up Iraq, please. Let's not start a real flamewar here.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 10:57 AM)
There's nowhere to put all of them, Supercilious.

THat is the biggest cop out I've ever heard. No one in New Orleans has any realitives anywhere else in the US? Right. Let them call Uncle Bob in Bumfuck, North Dakota and stay with him.

Blacken
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 10:57 AM)
There's nowhere to put all of them, Supercilious.

THat is the biggest cop out I've ever heard. No one in New Orleans has any realitives anywhere else in the US? Right. Let them call Uncle Bob in Bumfuck, North Dakota and stay with him.

How many are poor folks who are limited in scope to New Orleans? Quite a damned few. Because--and yeah, this sounds real bad, but it needs to be said--the rich (and yes, predominantly white) folks got out while they could. Most probably went to their relatives or wherever else they could.

I'd bet a lot of money that a plurality, if not a majority, would not be able to find relatives to stay with outside the immediate vicinity.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 12:19 PM)
Rapists are poor people attacking rich people?

And I'm generalizing with "them" and "us." Of course I am. I realize that. But in a situation like this it's rather hard to cogently discuss a topic without some degree of labeling, if for convenience's sake alone.

And don't try to bring up Iraq, please. Let's not start a real flamewar here.

2 minute penalty: little straw men.

The crime being committed in general in teh area is the reult of poor people society forgot. When we took away what little stability and future we had given them, this sort of collapse is inevitable. Rape, looting, mugging, robbery, doesn't matter. It is not an excuse. It is an explanation of injustice.

And labels are convenient; just try and pay attention to when they get in the way of actually understanding the problem.

Iraq is pertinent: we have the money and the resources, or at least the willingness to leap into budget deficit with our hands in the air. Our inaction or unwillingness, then, is the result of something else.

QUOTE (Blacken)
How many are poor folks who are limited in scope to New Orleans? Quite a damned few. Because--and yeah, this sounds real bad, but it needs to be said--the rich (and yes, predominantly white) folks got out while they could. Most probably went to their relatives or wherever else they could.

I'd bet a lot of money that a plurality, if not a majority, would not be able to find relatives to stay with outside the immediate vicinity.

Unfortunately, this is absolutely true. The majority of people who stayed didn't stay because they're stupid. They stayed because they couldn't do anything else.
Blacken
"Straw man"? Not seeing one around, kthx.

I'm trying to see how "we" took away "what little stability and future we had given them." It's a motherfucking hurricane, Arethusa. They were given the opportunity to evacuate. Yeah, the government most certainly should have been more on-the-ball and should have moved their asses to get supplies down there in time. We had time. But we can blame and go "what-if," or we can fix the problem we have now.

An "explanation of injustice" sounds nice and poetic. Does it really change the fact that they're committing crimes?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 11:10 AM)
You can't make an "organized refugee exodus" for numbers in the five- and six-digit range, Arethusa. Not easily, not effectively, and not in such a way as to complete the objective.

It has been done before by groups with far less resources than the United States.

They stay in and they prey on the unfortunates inside the city. They get out and they prey on everyone around.

Anyone who has taken a Freshman sociology course would know the fallaciousness of this argument. When people return to society they will realign themselves with the normal social order. There is no looting outside of disaster areas and war zones. The longer they stay outside of society the more difficult reintegration will be. The best action would be to return them to a normal life as quickly as is possible.
Blacken
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

It has been done before by groups with far less resources than the United States.

Anyone who has taken a Freshman sociology course would know the fallaciousness of this argument. When people return to society they will realigh theselves with the normal social order. There is no looting outside of disaster areas and war zones. The longer they stay outside of society the more difficult reintegration will be. The best action would be to return them to a normal life as quickly as is possible.

Read one of the other two threads. TheOneRonin relates a personal account of what's going on down there. In fact, lemme quote him.

However, some people out there aren't helping the situation. They are shooting at police and rescue workers, they are robbing/raping/looting other poor, destitue familes that are stuck out there, and many of those same types of people have made it out of New Orleans and are doing the SAME things to outlying towns and cities even as far as here in Baton Rouge. It's THOSE people who are hindering the rescue effort. It's THOSE people who are causing the state leadership to get so irate and demand the federal government to send troops. It's THOSE people that I would gladly shoot myself if they come anywhere near my home looking for what they can steal/loot.

Sounds like your sociology course falls flat on its face.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Blacken)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 2 2005, 11:36 AM)

Anyone who has taken a Freshman sociology course would know the fallaciousness of this argument. When people return to society they will realigh theselves with the normal social order. There is no looting outside of disaster areas and war zones. The longer they stay outside of society the more difficult reintegration will be. The best action would be to return them to a normal life as quickly as is possible.

Read one of the other two threads. TheOneRonin relates a personal account of what's going on down there. In fact, lemme quote him.

However, some people out there aren't helping the situation. They are shooting at police and rescue workers, they are robbing/raping/looting other poor, destitue familes that are stuck out there, and many of those same types of people have made it out of New Orleans and are doing the SAME things to outlying towns and cities even as far as here in Baton Rouge. It's THOSE people who are hindering the rescue effort. It's THOSE people who are causing the state leadership to get so irate and demand the federal government to send troops. It's THOSE people that I would gladly shoot myself if they come anywhere near my home looking for what they can steal/loot.

Sounds like your sociology course falls flat on its face.

I'd like to see statistics on that, as well as a detailed explination of the research method. Anecdotal evidence is generally worthless. We don;t know if it is millions of looters or a one isolated incident.
Blacken
Hard to have statistics when the infrastructure's fuckered. I'm starting to search, but I don't expect to see much.

This is not the first anecdotal evidence I've heard, though--how much anecdotal evidence becomes enough to stop your disingenuity?
JongWK
Before this turns into a flame war, I'd like to add two bits of information I read today:

1) Katrina hit at the end of the month. Poor people depending on Social Security had no money to buy fuel or a bus/train ticket, so they could not evacuate.

2) While many looters are just people desperate for supplies (or criminals hoarding them), violent incidents have been reported involving drug addicts suffering from abstinence. You *don't* want to meet the latter ones.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Blacken)
Hard to have statistics when the infrastructure's fuckered. I'm starting to search, but I don't expect to see much.

This is not the first anecdotal evidence I've heard, though--how much anecdotal evidence becomes enough to stop your disingenuity?

How much anecdtoal evidence is required to earn scientific recognition of alien abduction and ghosts?
Blacken

1) Katrina hit at the end of the month. Poor people depending on Social Security had no money to buy fuel or a bus/train ticket, so they could not evacuate.

Old people depend on Social Security (or the disabled, etcetera). You are not seeing the elderly or quadraplegics out there looting and raping people. My heart goes out to those people, because they really were stuck. I hope we do whatever we can for them.

Seeing as how my opinion on welfare is likely obvious (my father owns apartment buildings where I live, three tenants of which are not on welfare, and after seeing what I've seen there's no way in hell to support welfare), I won't start up that particular one.

2) While many looters are just people desperate for supplies (or criminals hoarding them), violent incidents have been reported involving drug addicts suffering from abstinence. You *don't* want to meet the latter ones.

"Suffering from abstinence." I'm amused by your wording, though you're definitely correct. And my personal opinion is that it is kinder to shoot them. There's not a lot else that can be done in the short term to help them, and it's not really helping them at all to give 'em a fix.
Demonseed Elite
Yeah, the uncensored interview with N.O.'s mayor is worth listening to. I'd say he's at his wits end, and is really on the side of turning the whole city over to the general that has flown in.

And seriously, I'd hope you fools can find something better to do with your time than argue about this, of all things. It's just damn sad.
Blacken
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 2 2005, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 11:44 AM)

How much anecdtoal evidence is required to earn scientific recognition of alien abduction and ghosts?

Well, for my part, I believe in aliens. Ghosts, though, I want to see myself. nyahnyah.gif

However, your counter-question is flawed. Such things are esoteric and "out-there," whereas there's factual evidence of these lootings--I just heard something on the news a few minutes ago that suggests that TheOneRonin's account is definitely true. Not sure what channel my folks have on, I'll look in a bit.

Demonseed: I don't have speakers (the ThinkPad's speakers blew out). Is there a transcript?
Demonseed Elite
CNN has a transcript of most of it. But, really, the audio has much more impact. You can hear the frustration in the mayor's voice, and when they all break down at the end of the interview it carries some real weight.
Blacken
Thanks, DE.

And reading it over, I fully empathize with the guy. He obvious disagrees with me politically with the Iraq comments and all, but fuck that, it doesn't matter. He didn't get what he needed, he still hasn't (though I'm seeing reports and such that suggest that this interview is doing the trick now). Is the Bush administration blameless? Shit no, but the people who are blaming Bush himself seem to be uninformed.

And Nagin is entirely right. Stop the fucking press conferences, and I'd say that the 24/7 newscasts from FOX and CNN and MSNBC should have been yanked a long time ago.

I almost respect CNN right now, though. Crazy.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sabosect)
Actually, going by what I have read, all of the shooting at relief workers has been a case of people desperate to get relief after being passed up several times. You can only watch so many choppers fly by while you are stuck on the roof of your house before you go a little nuts. Add in a lack of food, water, and sanitation to that.

That's also known to happen in high-stress rescue situations. Rescue workers have been known to have been threatened in the past. However, in the case of New Orleans, I think that there also is a fair amount of nihilistic violence as well, given the social conditions of the city prior to the disaster.

An example I'd point to would be the NYC blackouts. New York City had several blackouts, but depending on the decade in some cases the city remained calm whereas in other cases there was rampant violence. It depended on the social conditions in the city prior to the disaster.
JongWK
QUOTE (Blacken)
Old people depend on Social Security (or the disabled, etcetera). You are not seeing the elderly or quadraplegics out there looting and raping people. My heart goes out to those people, because they really were stuck. I hope we do whatever we can for them.

My apologies if I wasn't clear. I'm not saying that poor people are the looters, only that most of the people trapped in New Orleans were poor before the hurricane, and thus couldn't afford escaping.
Critias
According to a few articles I've read, the majority of the looters (or, at least, the larger bandit-king style roving packs of them, rather than the individuals) have been linked to three of New Orlean's pre-existing and powerful gang organizations, with their numbers recently bolstered by the released/escaped prisoners due to Katrina.

When you take people who are already violent and antagonistic towards authority, toss them in a situation too dire for them to truly undertand, and then completely remove all visible and obvious signs of that authority they hate? Yeah. They're gonna fuckin' run rampant. Because they can.
Wounded Ronin
Yes. What people have to understand was that there was a *lot* of urban poverty in New Orleans. You didn't need a hurricane to have people acting up in antisocial ways; while I was living there, one night a young man locked himself in a daycare center across the street from where I was living and the cops were scurrying around all night trying to get him out. Walking down Canal street, I've interacted at least twice with women who were stoned out of their minds on crack, and I've also had two incidents of people trying to intimidate/shake me down.

So, the point is, I think that the pre-existing social problems in the city have a lot to do with the volume of destructive behavior we're seeing now.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 2 2005, 11:51 AM)
QUOTE (Blacken @ Sep 2 2005, 11:44 AM)

Well, for my part, I believe in aliens. Ghosts, though, I want to see myself. nyahnyah.gif

However, your counter-question is flawed. Such things are esoteric and "out-there," whereas there's factual evidence of these lootings--I just heard something on the news a few minutes ago that suggests that TheOneRonin's account is definitely true. Not sure what channel my folks have on, I'll look in a bit.

But the facts are the same. Anecdotal evidence may be atypical. One cannot make a broad generalization based on it. I could look at the Donner party and say that all Americans are cannibals, but that wouldn't be accurate because the Donner party was atypical.
blakkie
QUOTE (Blacken)
...You are not seeing the elderly or quadraplegics out there looting and raping people....

I nominate this for the Unintentionally Funny Post of The Month award. wink.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Blacken)
...You are not seeing the elderly or quadraplegics out there looting and raping people....

If it were Shadowrun, the quadrapelegics would be the death machines, since they'd be the ones chromed out with cyberlimbs and move by wire systems.
Blacken
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Blacken)

Actually, I was attempting for a bit of humor there. But thanks! rotfl.gif
Lindt
I believe its time to be the bigited racest bastered here. SOMEONE has to do it.
I remember rather vididly a bit by Chris Rock, explaining the differance between "Black people" & "N*^^$#s" (but even I wont go THAT far bigited). What we have here are a lot of the latter just being stupid. Breaking into a store to steal trackable diamonds, when there is no water, just confuses me.

This is NOT to say there havent been momumental screw ups. Oh goddess there have been, but this is doing nothing but compounding the problem. Why we havent air dropped a few tons of food and water is beyond me.

Never mind that there are 28 countries offering US help, and we havent said 'Yes' to them yet.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Critias)
the released/escaped prisoners due to Katrina.

This is a dot that I don't think a lot of people are connecting when they talk about the more serious crimes being committed in NO. Rape? Murder? Arson? Sounds like the sort of things they put people in prison for. You didn't hear about too much of this going on either, before all those cons escaped.
Arethusa
Don't jump too quickly. Crime pretty much always rises due to a breakdown in established order and force; do you really think escaped prisoners are responsible for nearly all of the problems? Pretty unlikely.
de4dmeta1
I think the point he was trying to make is that escaped cons could be responsible for more of the more serious crimes than most people consider.
Athenor
I wonder how this discussion has changed in the last couple hours, with the national guard coming in force, and the convoys of supplies coming in that had to be marshalled from as far away as California.

I'd also like to point out that while the authorities prepared supplies, they more likely than not prepared them OUTSIDE of the hurricane's sphere of influence. Realize it flared up to a Cat. 5 in less than a day.. If I were staring down a Cat-5, I'd get the hell out of the way, and then rush in as fast as I could.

The reports were the first night of the SuperDome were decent, things were going well. Indeed, most of NO seemed in the clear. Then the flood hit... And lines of rescue were cut off.

Not only that, but it is my guess that A) They never expected to need to do a complete exodus of NO, especially after the hurricane but before the levee broke. They were expecting it to be like after a typical hurricane, where they could set up at-site, not set up a few hundred miles away... and B) After the Hurricane, the supplies probably went to Alabama and points East, thinking NO had survived fine...

So.. yeah. What happened is that people were hoping the levees would stand up, and such. Then they didn't, and the problem got about 10x worse.

FEMA could've done a better job.. I won't deny that. But there are a -lot- of factors, and hopefully things are on the upswing.

In fact, I'm sure they are. Since the Nat. Guard have moved into downtown NO and started securing city blocks 1 by 1, a ton of new fires have broken out in the city. That is more likely than not the criminal element trying to lure the national guard off to other places, perhaps as a sign of desperation.... But what do I know. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012