Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So long, SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ellery
It's time for me to say goodbye to SR4.

I've not exactly been one of SR4's greatest supporters, and now that I have the text, I find that most things are as bad as I feared, with a few pleasant surprises and a few unexpected shocks.

SR4 is a visually appealing product. If you just flip open to a random spot in the book, it's more stylish than any other SR product. Going by looks alone, I'd think SR4 was a winner.

SR4 is a mostly competently written product in terms of prose, editing, and setting, at least by RPG standards. There is an overreliance in all SR work on trite, contrived plots that can only be generated with a liberal helping of Deus Ex Machina (*cough* dragons *cough*), and shameless stealing of ideas that were cool in movies but end up looking like pathetic wannabes in SR. But despite that, the writing does in many places make the setting come alive, and the advance in technology has a lot of potential.

SR4 rules, however, are embarassing to read. We've covered many of the flaws on these boards already. There are numerous places where the authors seem to have no clue how their own mechanics work, where there are glaring balance issues that are easily fixed, where there are fundamental balance issues that cannot be fixed, and so on. There are even spots that essentially say, "Look, we screwed up the rules here--you figure it out!" To some extent, this is expected from the first edition of a game, which SR4 is despite the title. However, the quality of the rules is worse than I can excuse even for a first edition game. I buy games in large part for the rules. I want the rules to help me out as a GM and as a player--they help decide what can happen, how it can happen, keep things fair, and so on. I want them to benefit me and generally get out of the way. SR4 rules do the opposite for me--at every turn I trip over them, they generate absurdity, are horribly abusable, and aren't even all that fast to resolve (though they are slightly faster than SR3 in my hands). No thanks! I will ignore the rules if they get in the way of the story, as SR4 asks, but good rules should be well-matched to the stories often told in the setting, and good rules therefore mostly won't get in the way. SR3 rules could have used a lot of improvement; throwing away three editions' worth of refinement and starting anew with all new problems is distressing. If the authors lacked the rudimentary mathematical awareness or the time to get the rules right, why didn't they get more high-quality playtesters and listen to what they said?

I think the conception of SR4 is my least favorite aspect. Unlike the others, this is subjective. SR4 is a dumbed-down game. At almost every turn, it sacrifices richness for simplicity, player control for hard limits and roll-and-pray, character talent and skill for game-breaking munchkins and the utter superiority of spirits and dragons over humanity. It is not even that simple, given the piles of modifiers to apply. It is not a game where I feel empowered as a player (no dice pools) or as a character (hard caps on skills). It is not a game in which I can envision placing a character who will have a long future of self-advancement (hard caps on skills, fixed TN system inherently only works in a narrow range even if I remove the caps). It is a game of mediocrity. It seems immature. I would possibly have enjoyed it when I was twelve and outgrown it by sixteen.

Most people don't think of role playing games as teaching tools, but I think that aspect is valuable as well. I would argue that previous editions of Shadowrun were among the very best RPGs in terms of the benefits they bestowed upon players. Because of the tactical considerations with target numbers and pools, previous editions encouraged players to develop a sense of probability, a sense of exponential scaling, and the ability to judge risk and plan accordingly. Because of the futuristic/fantasy Earth setting, it rewarded players and GMs who did research on real-life locations and events with a richer roleplaying experience. The latter is still mostly true (although every time the setting incorporates a nonsensical or ill-researched aspect, I cringe), but the former is mostly not. I would no longer recommend SR4 for my friends' children. I wouldn't advise against it, but the teaching aspect is diminished, and the approach seems to be to simplify to the point where the game teaches nothing. This may sell, but I would do the opposite and include little tutorials within the game explaining how to play the game well, and these tutorials would develop thinking skills as a secondary benefit.

SR4 may end up being profitable. A game that I might enjoy might not sell as well.

But I do not think it will be profitable because of me. I've spent about $1500 on SR products over the last 13 years, and another $300 or so on Earthdawn mostly because I liked SR (and it too was a pretty cool game). Once I have the last of the SR3 books, I plan on spending about $0 on SR4 products, and I have no interest in looking at any other FanPro product. If FanPro comes out with compelling SR4 stories and setting expansions, especially with the power players working from the shadows and manipulating events in realistic ways through skill and knowledge rather than unassailable power, maybe I'll buy some non-rules supplements. Maybe not.

Perhaps SR4 will do well; perhaps not. I do know that it will do what it does without me.

Finally, since I have only been on DS to discuss SR4, and I have tired of SR4, I won't be around after any discussion on this thread has died off. Thanks to those of you who fostered interesting discussions.

(Two asides for unfinished business.)
[ Spoiler ]
[ Spoiler ]
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 8 2005, 11:37 AM)
SR4 may end up being profitable.  People in this country seem to dislike thinking, especially about anything quantitative.  People are attracted to pretty art.  A game that I might enjoy might not sell as well.

Do you really think it's going to help your point if you utter a general insult on anyone who disagrees with your PoV?

Besides... which country? Dumpshockland?
Oracle
Well, I'm pretty sure, that he is not from my county, so I don't feel insulted.^^
Synner
Honestly, sorry to see you go.

[ Spoiler ]
Birdy
QUOTE (Oracle)
Well, I'm pretty sure, that he is not from my county, so I don't feel insulted.^^

Ellery is 5 hours earlies than "us" here in germany. What does that make him?

Birdy
Ellery
I've removed the sentences because the "this country" phrase didn't really make sense given the audience, and it gets rather awkward when properly qualified and justified with appeal to the primary market and so on.

That said, I absolutely did not say that the only reason to disagree with me was because one didn't enjoy thinking. In fact, I said the opposite--it was subjective, based upon what you like in your games. However, several SR freelancers have said here that SR needs to appeal to younger players, players have complained that they don't know how to use combat pool, and so on. If you can make a case that the changes to SR4 were not made to reduce the thinking burden, please make it instead of vacuously claiming an insult.

Otherwise, if you don't want to think about that aspect of the game, why view it as an insult? If you do, why take it as an insult if I point out that some people don't?

Added in edit--Synner, I should have said cyberware/bioware originally if I didn't before. Both used to affect magic. I stand by the claim that magic 6 isn't particularly better than magic 5, and while it is theoretically possible to make cyberware and bioware mostly useless, having it in the game at all is strongly indicative of exactly the kind of situation I pointed out above. It turns out that it's much more advantageous than I had thought; you can take just about any magical character and make them better by adding a point of bioware. If the whole disagreement was simply because I did not say "cyberware and bioware" instead of "cyber", I'm sorry I didn't clear it up earlier.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 8 2005, 03:37 AM)
<snip>
Synner--you claimed that I couldn't know that SR4 promoted magic use among magicians.  Here's the counterexample using the real rules.  In SR4, you can get 6 stat points of bioware, worth 60 bp, for 1 magic (10bp or 25bp at max) and 50k nuyen (10bp).  Thus, you come out ahead by at least 25bp and often 40bp, as long as you're okay not having force 6/force 12 spells.  You lose one die on your success test, but gain two on your drain resists.  Initiation/magic raising costs don't even the odds until you reach grade 12 or so, if we believe 1bp = 2 karma
<snip>

.....completely ignoring that in prior discusion about this, where you aknowledged it, that it was shown that that option would be taken by mages aiming to be sub-standard mages just like in SR3. Except in SR3 there was a loophole in SR3 called geas or you could just cover up the Magic loss with the much, much cheaper SR3 Initiation, during chargen if they want to sacrafice a couple of spells.

Yup, you hold form right to the bitter end insisting that Numerology got you teh win over Synner. *shakes head*

Honestly. So long, don't let the door hit your ass too hard on the way out. See you in the main forum shortly. love.gif
NightmareX
Ellery, I'm always sorry to see one of us old dogs disappear (hell, I'm still hoping Blackjack will come back someday), but I understand your point entirely.

Myself, I'm still holding off judgement on SR4 until I've finished reading and comparing it to SR3, but I may end up doing the same as you if SR4 proves unsalvagable. Ironic, considering it's debute is what brought me back to Dumpshock after a two year hiatus.

Happy trails to you.
Grinder
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 8 2005, 10:10 AM)

Birdy

Someone living in another time zone? wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (Oracle @ Sep 8 2005, 10:10 AM)

Birdy

Venezuelan? Chilean! wink.gif Or perhaps Canadian (Alantic Time Zone). There might be parts of Maine that use that time zone as well, i don't recall.
Ellery
blakkie--
In games where geases were ignored or the conditions were rarely unfulfilled, I agree. Power for free is always better than power with a minimal drawback.

The core book doesn't have geas so that's not an entirely equal comparison; you could make your spells all require a fetish but you'd be helpless if you lost the fetish(es).

The example geasa in MitS are all things that you want to be doing less than half the time as a shadowrunner. If they break that geas, they get +1TN in addition to not having the magic point. In games where the rules were followed as given, geasa were a major restriction (except possibly the talisman geas).

People who gain enough karma to initiate once in SR3 have almost no reason to not take a point of cyber/bioware. There I agree that the pressure is the other way. However, for whatever reason, post-chargen implantation of 'ware seems to be rare in practice in many games (in mine, and I've seen a number of others observe the same thing). Thus, the initial TN6 pressure is the major factor in SR3 in keeping cyber/bio out of mages.

Also, I'm not sure why you think you'll see me in the main forum. I've not posted there yet, and I see no compelling reason to do so in the future.

Nightmare--
I'm not an old dog of DS. It was good for discussing SR4, so I showed up for that (note the date I joined). I was aware of DS, of course, long before that, but didn't see a reason to post. I am an old dog of SR, but I'm not really lost from SR, just from the SR revenue stream.

Anyway, good luck with SR4. If you do decide it's worth your effort, there are certainly a lot of ideas for good improvements floating around on the boards.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 8 2005, 05:03 AM)
blakkie-- <snip>

So now you are arguing that in fact it is more like equal draw for 'ware in SR4 instead of less than SR3? wobble.gif

You still don't get it? *hands Ellery a token for the bus* Buh-bye.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Ellery)
Nightmare--
I'm not an old dog of DS. It was good for discussing SR4, so I showed up for that (note the date I joined). I was aware of DS, of course, long before that, but didn't see a reason to post. I am an old dog of SR, but I'm not really lost from SR, just from the SR revenue stream.

Anyway, good luck with SR4. If you do decide it's worth your effort, there are certainly a lot of ideas for good improvements floating around on the boards.

That's what I meant, old dog to SR. Didn't check your profile. biggrin.gif Happy trails anyway.
Ellery
blakkie--
I'm arguing the same thing as before. Please explain why you think otherwise.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
blakkie--
I'm arguing the same thing as before. Please explain why you think otherwise.

Yes, yes you are. Congrats! You got teh WIN! Now leave. *presses the bus token firmly into Ellery's palm*

Buh-fucking-bye.
Ellery
Mm hm. I already said I was leaving after any discussion died off.

I suppose you could try to kill it, if you wanted me to leave sooner.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
Mm hm. I already said I was leaving after any discussion died off.

I suppose you could try to kill it, if you wanted me to leave sooner.

You rehashing your same old crap? It started out dead so no need to kill it, just lay the corpse down and go home.

Buh-bye.
Ellery
I haven't made all of these points before. Some I have made, at which point people said I didn't have SR4 so I couldn't know. Well, now I do have it, and can explain with full knowledge why I have various opinions. (For the most part, the previous criticisms about lack of knowledge were invalid, unfortunately.)

I see you're trying for the kill! Maybe I'll wait a few hours and see if you've succeeded. Hint: if you keep posting to the thread, it's not dead yet. Undead? Perhaps.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 8 2005, 05:38 AM)
I haven't made all of these points before.  Some I have made, at which point people said I didn't have SR4 so I couldn't know.  Well, now I do have it, and can explain with full knowledge why I have various opinions.

So exactly what "point" is so important to make? You don't like SR4, and aren't going to play it? Made.

What exactly else could there be on the agenda? Your pride that requires you must prove that you've been Right All Along™ that SR4 is the evil that killed SR? Well you are right! SR is dead! SR4 has the smoking gun firmly clutched in it's demonic, taloned digits! You have teh win!!!1

I see you're trying for the kill!

I'm trying for the "help Ellery get on the bus and move on". nyahnyah.gif

Maybe I'll wait a few hours and see if you've succeeded.  Hint: if you keep posting to the thread, it's not dead yet.  Undead?  Perhaps

Buh-bye?
Fox1
QUOTE (Ellery)

I'm at the disadvantage of having not seen the 4th edition rules (the PDF price is too high, I'm waiting for the dead trees version).

Judging from posts here and other information however, I feel that I understand your decision and wish you the best of luck in sticking with 3rd edition or whatever else you end up doing.

It's not unexpected, but still a little disheartening to see some of the negative comments tossed your way over this. SR has made a major mid-course change in 4th edition. Not only have the mechanics changed, some very core concepts in the setting and style have also been replaced. When such a step happens, a natural result is the lost of a segment of the already existing customer base. Why this should make people hateful of those moving on is beyond me.

Like you, I find myself looking over 4th edition with the thought in mind that I'll have to make a stay/ go decision myself.

Unlike you the issue isn't completely mechanics driven. After all I've never considered the mechanics in SR to be of useble quality for long term campaigns. However I have previously always considered many of the concepts contained in SR to be wonderful. Most of the settings elements are outstanding when moved to a different game system. Some of the mechanical subsystems are inspired enough to keep even when making this step.

So my decision on 4th edition will mostly revolve around my perception of the setting and technology changes. I'll not make any decisions until the book arrives, but so far... I'm worried.

I was hoping that the new mechanics would be an improvement. And they may yet well be (I don't share your love of dice pools). Again I'll not make any decisions until the book arrives, but so far... I'm worried.

Even if 4th edition fails on both counts however, I'm still not going to count SR as a lost cause yet. I've had great success and enjoyment from modifing and running previous published SR adventures- I would hope that continues although again I'm worried... fan pro doesn't produce that many adventures and what ones they do are closer to adventure outlines than they are real adventures...

So we'll see how it goes.

Ellery
blakkie--
Well, the point about RPGs being beneficial isn't one I've made at any length before here. I happen to think it pretty important, although obviously there's much more to education than playing RPGs.

Also, the post indirectly highlights that long-time fans are a lot more valuable than first-time sales of a shiny new product. Once the buzz has faded, it is long-time fans who put out the money to sustain the product.

And I haven't explained this clearly what I liked about SR before and like in RPGs in general. My explanation still isn't that clear, but if someone knows of other games with those characteristics (rules strongly complement setting, promote player control and tactics, and are rich enough to help develop thinking skills), I'd like to hear about them.

Fox--
Major changes to games are divisive. Anything that promotes strong divisions also tends to create feelings of opposing groups, and those groups tend to attack each other. I'm not surprised. It's human nature. Also, the stuff with blakkie is the result of previous problems I've had with him--that too is human nature, but isn't that relevant to attacks on me for making negative comments while leaving.
blakkie
QUOTE (Ellery)
blakkie--

It's been a few hours already? My how the time flys!

And I haven't explained this clearly what I liked about SR before and like in RPGs in general. My explanation still isn't that clear

Oh oh, don't like the sound of that. Sounds like an excuse to keep droning on and on.

, but if someone knows of other games with those characteristics (rules strongly complement setting, promote player control and tactics, and are rich enough to help develop thinking skills), I'd like to hear about them.

Shouldn't you go look for this game? You know, leave an email/PM address here in case someone has a lead for you. But get out there and spend your time looking?

Or better yet how about you go out and build this game you desire? With your superior mastery of scientific knowledge and uncanny grasp of probabilities you should be able to build a fine, fun RPG.

It'll be a lot of work so you should start right now.
Fox1
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 8 2005, 07:00 AM)
Also, the post indirectly highlights that long-time fans are a lot more valuable than first-time sales of a shiny new product.  Once the buzz has faded, it is long-time fans who put out the money to sustain the product.

Fan Pro is counting on creating new long-time fans.

It is quite possible that they were faced with a do or die in that matter. I don't have access to their sale numbers or projections, but if the trend indicated that sales to previous long-time fans would fail to sustain the product line in the coming years- there wasn't much of a choice to be made.
mmu1
QUOTE (blakkie)
You rehashing your same old crap? It started out dead so no need to kill it, just lay the corpse down and go home.

Buh-bye.

You ought to take advantage of someone actually doing you the undeserved courtesy of treating you like a rational human being, instead of like an infected boil on Dumpshock's collective ass.

NightmareX
long-time fans are a lot more valuable than first-time sales of a shiny new product.  Once the buzz has faded, it is long-time fans who put out the money to sustain the product.

Something that more companies (gaming and not) should learn!!!!!
Fox1
My explanation still isn't that clear, but if someone knows of other games with those characteristics (rules strongly complement setting, promote player control and tactics, and are rich enough to help develop thinking skills), I'd like to hear about them.

I'm a big fan of HERO System (http://www.doordice.com/Games/ProductDetails.cfm?Product_UID=YPSBXDSZ) myself.

It's a highly tactical game in the classic wargame style if you battlemap it and use the right optional rules.

It's main drawback is that it's a construction system, and you'll have to design everything from characters to weapons to create the Shadowrun setting. How well you manage those constructions will determine the style of your game.

On the bright side, I've already done a lot of that work as has others. So there are websites to use as a guide.
Ellery
QUOTE (Fox1)
Fan Pro are counting on creating new long-time fans.

It is quite possible that they were faced with a do or die in that matter. I don't have access to their sale numbers or projections, but if the trend indicated that sales to previous long-time fans would fail to sustain the product line in the coming years- there wasn't much of a choice to be made.

From previous posts on here, I gather than FanPro is doing decently well, but that they could have been in a bad way in 3-5 years had they continued with SR3.

There was no hurry, according to people who should know, which makes the lack of polish of the rules (even given the direction that I do not like) less understandable.

It's a bold move to change a game in ways that are likely to alienate existing fans. If you can bring in new ones to compensate, then you're as well off financially as you were before. Except for the rules, SR4 is a decently polished product. It's certainly not embarassingly bad, not to the level that would cause lost sales. The rules very likely will, if only because people play the game and decide that other games are more fun without really knowing why. I wouldn't trust my financial future to shoddy work, even if it is in an area that is rarely noticed.

I really can't see a reason to argue that SR4 had to be a first edition of a new game instead of a fourth edition of an existing game. If the newness was so important, they shouldn't have stuck the "4" on the name. Call it Shadowrun: The New Age, or some other suitably corny title. It's much more of a make-or-break effort this way; making a refined SR3 called SR4, including all the nifty new tech and similar but simplified mechanics, ought to have extended SR's life for another edition's worth of time (~6 years).

Thanks for the pointer to the Hero system. I've heard about it, but not checked it out yet. There's a lot out there in RPG-land, and I no longer have the time to peruse broadly. I prefer staying with favorite games when possible.
Synner
For the record Ellery, it's been a pleasure debating stuff with you in the past. Even though I dare say we won't agree on many fundamentals, you've made your points more clearly and have proved level-headed than the vast majority of the posters on both sides of the SR3/SR4 debate. I honestly think if more people had taken your route discussions here would have proven more fruitful and less bitter.

On my part I understand your disappointment with SR4 and am sorry to see you leave. I do hope, if nothing else, you will find future material to your taste though.
Ellery
Thanks Synner.
blakkie
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Sep 8 2005, 06:29 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 8 2005, 07:31 AM)
You rehashing your same old crap?  It started out dead so no need to kill it, just lay the corpse down and go home.

Buh-bye.

You ought to take advantage of someone actually doing you the undeserved courtesy of treating you like a rational human being, instead of like an infected boil on Dumpshock's collective ass.

ohplease.gif

She just had to toss in those [ spoiler ] i-told-you-so because pride dragged her, and they are completely rehashes. Claiming "victory" where it just isn't.

That SR4 just isn't deep enough for her, and just isn't a good game for the peeps cuz its dumb? Seems i've heard that somewhere before. The other thread where she is talking about how the tech changes just don't make sense to her. That has a familiar ring to it too.

I don't find that treating people like rational humans. I find it insulting, and yes i'm calling her on it. In a rude manner. YMMV.

But i guess i'm done now too....
Ellery
I tossed in the spoilers because I had agreed to follow up in previous threads (hence "unfinished business"). If I am leaving, I can't follow up. I'm just fulfilling my committments, or at least making an offer to do so.

I'm not sure what blakkie's talking about in the other paragraphs, and I've had bad luck asking for clarifications, so I'll just shrug noncommittally.
blakkie
*cough*
Ellery
Can't say I see how that's relevant. *shrugs noncommittally*
Fox1
QUOTE (Ellery)
Thanks for the pointer to the Hero system. I've heard about it, but not checked it out yet. There's a lot out there in RPG-land, and I no longer have the time to peruse broadly. I prefer staying with favorite games when possible.

If you ever consider using HERO for a shadowrun game, drop me an email. It appears you can do that off my profile here without problem.

I can give you some web links with conversions and more advice than you'll likely want. I've been traveling this road for the last three years.

ShadowPavement
Maine is all in the Eastern time zone by the way.

For me the one thing I'm worried about is what seems to be a greater emphasis on the "cyber" and less emphasis on the "punk" part of SR4.

I for one like the new mechanics. I can actually use riggers and deckers now. Though I also like the old mechanics as well. Each has it's benifits and hinderances. SR2 and 3 was great when I was in college and had players that liked to figure out how to use TN and Pools to best advantage. I'm still cursing my player who figured out that he could delay his action untill after the BBEG had thier action, then use all his combat pool to counter and then get his first action in the next initiative pass and usee all his combat pool again against her and maul her in two actions. Nowadays SR4 would be a better fit for my group since I'm gaming with some younger players who arn't nearly as into manipulating the system to thier advantage.

It also depends on what part of the SR timeline you want to play in. If I plan on running with new meta-plots in the game then SR4 is the way to go. Though I do have a thing for bug city and anything to do with Dunklzhan still alive, so I'd use SR3 for any of those games.

No one says that anyone HAS to change to SR4. If you don't like it fine, if you like it fine. Each has thier own use.

Just some thoughts.
booklord
I'm still waiting for the book. But... from what I've seen it strikes me as flawed but fixable. ( which is basically the same diagnosis I gave SR3 ) I'm holding out hope still. Mainly because I believe some strategically placed house rules can fix this puppy.
Dashifen
We haven't clashed on the boards, because I generally refuse to argue on the Internet (you've all probably seen the (rather insulting) graphic) but I'm sorry to see you go. I for one greatly enjoy SR4 and the glaring rule problems that so many evangelize haven't been a problem for me over the last month as I played the game so I hope that your decisions here are based not on theoretical appliction of the rules but practical.

Arethusa
QUOTE (Ellery @ Sep 8 2005, 09:00 AM)
I tossed in the spoilers because I had agreed to follow up in previous threads (hence "unfinished business").  If I am leaving, I can't follow up.  I'm just fulfilling my committments, or at least making an offer to do so.

I'm not sure what blakkie's talking about in the other paragraphs, and I've had bad luck asking for clarifications, so I'll just shrug noncommittally.

I find it remarkable that blakkie got as far with being a witless prat in this thread as he did.

In any case, with what I'd seen of SR4 in the last few months, it was looking increasingly worse. Since the release of the .pdf, just about everything I've read hasn't so much confirmed my worst fears as mocked them for their optimism. At this point, I cannot help but find just about everything Pistons and Co. said to the community during the last six months astonishingly insulting.

With things going as they have, my time around here's dropped off a fair bit, but I'm still sad to see you go. Shame there's no lounge forum.
Supercilious
SOrry to see you go, Ellery, I agree with you on most of your points.
Crusher Bob
Well, I fell in love with Puppetland when I first read it, many moons ago. I even have the dead tree version.

For me, cyberpunk has always been about two competing themes:
one that there are no 'superheros' and no 'supervillians', there is nothing special about the high and mighty in the world, they can be outgunned, outmanuvered, and so on. Some punk from the street can, with a combination of luck and skill, take them out. See how often this happens in the 'classic' cyberpunk literature. So, in short everyone is brought down to the level of the guy on the street.

Theme two, is how easy it is to become a 'superhero' you go into the cyber clinic as joe average, but come out as superman.

The combination of having everyone in the world brought down at the same time they are exalted makes for an interesting setting.

Early SR was like this on steroids. You had regular 'fanatsy' stuff, but it was 'brought down' as well. Elves were no longer immortal bow wielding pixies who lived happily in the woods, but instead were just poor schlubs trying to get ahead in a dog-eat-dog world. Dragons were playing the same song of control, greed, and power that you can hear in every corporate boardroom.

On the other hand, the 'exaltation' available was even greater, you could be an elf, mage, with cybernetic parts! You could use your magic power to leap from rooftop to rooftop, to avoid the morning traffic. You could use your cybernetic vision enhancements to cast a spell or some poor chump who though he was safely hidden in the fog.

SR started to lose me when they made the movers and shakers in the world, not 'ordinary' people (even if they happened to be dragons, or whatever, the whole points was that dragons were ordinary).) Once the story of the game became about unbeatable immortal elves, and dragons that were unstoppable in whatever they wanted to do (oh, and maybe how the flea-like player characters could play some small and insignificant part in their plans...)

By doing this, SR lost both the feeling of exaltation (the elves and dragons were always better than you, no matter what) and the feeling that everyone else was in the same gutter you were, but maybe they were head up in stead of head down.

So far, I'm not getting a good feeling from SR4, in that I feel neither exalted nor brought low by the setting or the rules for playing in that setting.
mfb
i'm pretty much with ell on this one, and for largely the same reasons. SR4 is a much, much more limited game than SR3, in lots and lots of ways--most of them ways that matter to me, as a gamer. i can see what was attempted with the mechanics, and while i'm on the fence as to the worthiness of the design goals, i definitely think that the game fails everywhere except the design goals (and i'm not even sure they hit those 100%).

i was going to cite examples, but hell. we've got almost a years' worth of threads that adequately explain the specifics of what i think is wrong with the system. the long and short of it is that it's just not a fun game, to me. i'm going to continue playing SR3 or a modified version of it. depending on whether or not i like where SR4's storylines go, i might pick up the occasional supplement. but i'm not going to be playing SR4.

blakkie, you're a useless twit. stop typing.
Bigity
If you want a game with streamlined rules that very strongly 'enforce' the setting, check out Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd edition, I don't have much experience with 1st). Those combat rules are brutal, just like they are supposed to be. Using magic is dangerous, so one must carefully weigh the benefits of a spell before casting it.

The setting is oppresive, dangerous, and very bleak. I love it.
mintcar
Blakkie is really being an asshole.

Ellery, you should understand that people who enjoy SR 4 donīt like to think as much as you about rules, but may be more or less inclined to think about other things. I wonīt deny that the little implications of disdain does not bother me, but I can understand how they can be hard to resist. Your preferences are very clear, and mine (and others like me) should not be that hard to understand. Thereīs no need to even imply that one preference is more virtuous than the other. (And please do not deny that you made such an implication, you were even making up an example to prove it.)
mfb
whether or not a given player, or even most players, put much thought into the rules doesn't enter into it. game mechanics impact setting, whether you're consciously aware of it or not. therefore, the game design should keep the setting in mind. if the players are as aware of the rules as ellery is, they'll appreciate rules that back up the setting for specific reasons. if not, they'll appreciate rules that back up the setting for reasons they can't quite put their fingers on.
Fox1
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
SR started to lose me when they made the movers and shakers in the world, not 'ordinary' people (even if they happened to be dragons, or whatever, the whole points was that dragons were ordinary).) Once the story of the game became about unbeatable immortal elves, and dragons that were unstoppable in whatever they wanted to do (oh, and maybe how the flea-like player characters could play some small and insignificant part in their plans...)

I don't understand how something that hidden in the background could turn one off the entire game.

I didn't care for the immortal elves and all powerful dragons eithers.

So I just took them out of the setting (elves) or made them less then all powerful (dragons).

Another thing that didn't suit me was the strange mix of dystopia (greed rules, breakdown in world society, etc.) and utopia (but skin color racism is nearly unheard of as is sexism, the return of huge idealistic 'native' populations even when such natives effectively no longer exist in our world, etc.). Sometimes the books read as much like personal political wish fullfillment as they do cyberpunk where man doesn't outgrow his old flaws- he just gains newer chrome finished ones.

But while doing that, I still want to play a game with heroes and a light at the end of the tunnel.

So I just altered the setting. Enough to make it suit, but not enough that I couldn't use the published products.

Now the setting can reach a point where one can't make use of the published products- the changes needed are just too great and the work too much. I'm trying to figure out if 4th edition has reached that point.

Solstice
QUOTE (Ellery)

I've not exactly been one of SR4's greatest supporters, and now that I have the text, I find that most things are as bad as I feared, with a few pleasant surprises and a few unexpected shocks.

SR4 is a visually appealing product. If you just flip open to a random spot in the book, it's more stylish than any other SR product. Going by looks alone, I'd think SR4 was a winner.

SR4 is a mostly competently written product in terms of prose, editing, and setting, at least by RPG standards. There is an overreliance in all SR work on trite, contrived plots that can only be generated with a liberal helping of Deus Ex Machina (*cough* dragons *cough*), and shameless stealing of ideas that were cool in movies but end up looking like pathetic wannabes in SR. But despite that, the writing does in many places make the setting come alive, and the advance in technology has a lot of potential.

SR4 rules, however, are embarassing to read. We've covered many of the flaws on these boards already. There are numerous places where the authors seem to have no clue how their own mechanics work, where there are glaring balance issues that are easily fixed, where there are fundamental balance issues that cannot be fixed, and so on. There are even spots that essentially say, "Look, we screwed up the rules here--you figure it out!" To some extent, this is expected from the first edition of a game, which SR4 is despite the title. However, the quality of the rules is worse than I can excuse even for a first edition game. I buy games in large part for the rules. I want the rules to help me out as a GM and as a player--they help decide what can happen, how it can happen, keep things fair, and so on. I want them to benefit me and generally get out of the way. SR4 rules do the opposite for me--at every turn I trip over them, they generate absurdity, are horribly abusable, and aren't even all that fast to resolve (though they are slightly faster than SR3 in my hands). No thanks! I will ignore the rules if they get in the way of the story, as SR4 asks, but good rules should be well-matched to the stories often told in the setting, and good rules therefore mostly won't get in the way. SR3 rules could have used a lot of improvement; throwing away three editions' worth of refinement and starting anew with all new problems is distressing. If the authors lacked the rudimentary mathematical awareness or the time to get the rules right, why didn't they get more high-quality playtesters and listen to what they said?

I think the conception of SR4 is my least favorite aspect. Unlike the others, this is subjective. SR4 is a dumbed-down game. At almost every turn, it sacrifices richness for simplicity, player control for hard limits and roll-and-pray, character talent and skill for game-breaking munchkins and the utter superiority of spirits and dragons over humanity. It is not even that simple, given the piles of modifiers to apply. It is not a game where I feel empowered as a player (no dice pools) or as a character (hard caps on skills). It is not a game in which I can envision placing a character who will have a long future of self-advancement (hard caps on skills, fixed TN system inherently only works in a narrow range even if I remove the caps). It is a game of mediocrity. It seems immature. I would possibly have enjoyed it when I was twelve and outgrown it by sixteen.

Most people don't think of role playing games as teaching tools, but I think that aspect is valuable as well. I would argue that previous editions of Shadowrun were among the very best RPGs in terms of the benefits they bestowed upon players. Because of the tactical considerations with target numbers and pools, previous editions encouraged players to develop a sense of probability, a sense of exponential scaling, and the ability to judge risk and plan accordingly. Because of the futuristic/fantasy Earth setting, it rewarded players and GMs who did research on real-life locations and events with a richer roleplaying experience. The latter is still mostly true (although every time the setting incorporates a nonsensical or ill-researched aspect, I cringe), but the former is mostly not. I would no longer recommend SR4 for my friends' children. I wouldn't advise against it, but the teaching aspect is diminished, and the approach seems to be to simplify to the point where the game teaches nothing. This may sell, but I would do the opposite and include little tutorials within the game explaining how to play the game well, and these tutorials would develop thinking skills as a secondary benefit.

SR4 may end up being profitable. A game that I might enjoy might not sell as well.

But I do not think it will be profitable because of me. I've spent about $1500 on SR products over the last 13 years, and another $300 or so on Earthdawn mostly because I liked SR (and it too was a pretty cool game). Once I have the last of the SR3 books, I plan on spending about $0 on SR4 products, and I have no interest in looking at any other FanPro product. If FanPro comes out with compelling SR4 stories and setting expansions, especially with the power players working from the shadows and manipulating events in realistic ways through skill and knowledge rather than unassailable power, maybe I'll buy some non-rules supplements. Maybe not.

Perhaps SR4 will do well; perhaps not. I do know that it will do what it does without me.

Finally, since I have only been on DS to discuss SR4, and I have tired of SR4, I won't be around after any discussion on this thread has died off. Thanks to those of you who fostered interesting discussions.

(Two asides for unfinished business.)
[ Spoiler ]

Best post on this forum ever.......ever.
Crusher Bob
Heh, let me see if I can come up with a good metaphor...

Imagine that you have a pretty good dinner plate. Then one day, you find that your cat has taken a giant crap on the dinner plate. If you don't find cat crap too disgusting, imagine that it has worms or something in it...

Now, will you eat off the plate in the future? It's glazed ceramic, so it will sterelize quite easily... But will you ever feel as good, eating out of the plate that your cat once took a crap in?
Rotbart van Dainig
Do you cut off your fingers when they become dirty?
Fox1
QUOTE (mfb)
whether or not a given player, or even most players, put much thought into the rules doesn't enter into it. game mechanics impact setting, whether you're consciously aware of it or not. therefore, the game design should keep the setting in mind. if the players are as aware of the rules as ellery is, they'll appreciate rules that back up the setting for specific reasons. if not, they'll appreciate rules that back up the setting for reasons they can't quite put their fingers on.

I'll have to take mintcar side on this point. There are people that will not appreciate the rules even unconsciously. How else do you think really badly designed games stay around?

Some gamers just don't think in such terms.

As for the idea that one approach is more "virtuous" than the other, in one respect it's meaningless. If they are having fun, let them have fun.

In another respect, it's a pity that the existence of such players allow badly designed game mechanics to exist in the market place.

Fox1
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Heh, let me see if I can come up with a good metaphor...

Imagine that you have a pretty good dinner plate. Then one day, you find that your cat has taken a giant crap on the dinner plate. If you don't find cat crap too disgusting, imagine that it has worms or something in it...

Now, will you eat off the plate in the future? It's glazed ceramic, so it will sterelize quite easily... But will you ever feel as good, eating out of the plate that your cat once took a crap in?

The metaphor doesn't hold for me, and for a simple reason.

I don't own the published SR setting. It's someone else's dinner plate.

I own my own dinner plate that looks something like that one did, and the cat never got near it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012