Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit forms and weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
...but it's not.

OK, so I make my ally spirit, and it's manifested form is a katana. Will it hit spirits like a weapon focus, or is it just a mudane sword?
Halabis
Only if you dikote it first. Then have sex with it.

im sorry, I couldn't resist. But to answer your question, a materialized spirit is always dual natured.
Backgammon
Which is not to say it's a weapon focus: it doesn't add dice to your skill.
blakkie
It also might not be so happy about being used to bash things.
SkeevePlowse
But would it ignore a manifested spirit's Immunity to Normal Weapons power?
Halabis
Yes. In theory, since a spirit punching a spirit would ignore it, so would the spirit being swung at another spirit. In Theory.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (SkeevePlowse)
But would it ignore a manifested spirit's Immunity to Normal Weapons power?

I think it being dual natured takes care of that. It's what I was thinking anyway, but I wanted to get a consensus.
northern lights
in a manifested form, it is a spirit, not what form it takes.

spirits can manifest in human form, but they are not humans.

so a character attacking with it, would be attacking as per a standard katana, gaining nothing by this. however, the spirit still gets to act, and can attack, but would do so using its own inherent skills attributes, etc.

which makes you think of the rule that says a spirit cannot be in 2 different places in the 2 planes, so you couldn't tell it to do anything except "stay in my hand"

you'd be better off giving it human form with a katana and edged weapon skill.

edit: you could also use the rules given for metahuman bodies as weapons, then apply them with whatever attributes the spirit has and ignore the immunity to normal weapons.
Kanada Ten
In other words, just because the materialized form is a katana does not change the shape or function of the astral form - which is *not* going to be a katana. You can reference Dragons of the Sixth world and Paranormal Animals of North America among others on differences between physical forms and astral forms.

you could also use the rules given for metahuman bodies as weapons, then apply them with whatever attributes the spirit has and ignore the immunity to normal weapons.

That's what I would do, as a GM.

Casting Flame Aura on a weapon is a far better choice than wielding an Ally Spirit... unless you're using a homunculus.
hyzmarca
Remember, according to the rules for using bodies as weapons both target and weapon take damage of (other character's BOD + 2)M stun. If you overdo it you may disrupt your own ally.
Magus
This reminds me of another thread (pardon my search-fu is weak) on using a ghoul as a club. heh heh heh
blakkie
QUOTE (Magus)
This reminds me of another thread (pardon my search-fu is weak) on using a ghoul as a club. heh heh heh

I was thinking that very thing myself. But if you mush the ghoul and it goes bye-bye you just get another one. Not so with your Ally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012