Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burstfire...it's like a punchline
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zen Shooter01
Firing a long narrow burst out of an SMG, you suffer a -5 dice pool, use up six bullets, and gain only +5 DV. So you use up six times the ammunition, trade off about half your dice pool, and only double your damage. You also, incidentally, make it easier to dodge, because with a dice pool cut from 10 to 5, you can now expect 1 or 2 hits, instead of 3, and your target gets no modifiers to his dodge at all.

I will admit that this system does make firefights a lot more survivable.

But off the top of my head, I'd say net hits on burst fire should multiply the damage, with a cap equal to the number of bullets fired. The target should get to double his armor rating.

Thoughts?
mintcar
Your suggestion seems bulky. Like it stands you get 5 free hits counting for damage, for the price of a few bullets and less accuracy. You´re the one with knowledge of firearms as I take it. Doesn´t autofire make shooting less accurate?
hyb
Please see page 151 for modifiers to the Defender's Dice pool in relation for getting shot at with bursts.

Modifiers range from -2 all the way to -9 to the Defender.

No need for more rules.
mintcar
That´s only for wide bursts.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mintcar)
Your suggestion seems bulky. Like it stands you get 5 free successes counting for damage, for the price of a few bullets and less accuracy. You´re the one with knowledge of firearms as I take it. Doesn´t autofire make shooting less accurate?

The barrel may rise due to recoil as you fire, but if you know how to control the weapon this won't cause a meaningful reduction in accuracy. The first bullet would go exactly where you pointed the weapon. The other bullets would form a pattern around the first.

SR autofire rules have always been unrealistic.
FrostyNSO
I can't believe the guys in charge stuck with the "all-or-nothing" burstfire we've all come to love.

Time to get crackin' on another house-rule.
Zen Shooter01
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so recoil does make the gun jump, and reduces accuracy.

However, on a long narrow burst, the rules impose a very heavy -5 dice pool, while granting only a +5 DV, which only doubles the damage. So where did the other four bullets go? The -5 dice pool already represents the loss of accuracy due to recoil. Why am I getting such weak damage?

If I switched my SMG to semiautomatic, I could instead fire twice, with dice pools of 10 and 9, and expect to inflict 8 DV with each shot, for a total of sixteen. If my target has REA 4, and 12 dice to resist damage, I can expect to inflict 6 points of damage.

If I fired a long narrow burst instead, I'd roll a dice pool of 5, expecting 1 or 2 hits. My target would roll REA 4 to dodge, with a very strong chance of tying my roll, and thereby causing a total miss. Assuming for the sake of argument one net hit, my target rolls 12 dice to resist (BOD + Armor), can expect 4 hits, and I again land at 6 points of damage, presuming I hit at all.

So why do it?

Of course the size of the dice pools will vary from character to character, but the basic issue remains.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (mintcar @ Sep 10 2005, 05:56 PM)
Your suggestion seems bulky. Like it stands you get 5 free successes counting for damage, for the price of a few bullets and less accuracy. You´re the one with knowledge of firearms as I take it. Doesn´t autofire make shooting less accurate?

The barrel may rise due to recoil as you fire, but if you know how to control the weapon this won't cause a meaningful reduction in accuracy. The first bullet would go exactly where you pointed the weapon. The other bullets would form a pattern around the first.

SR autofire rules have always been unrealistic.

Yeah, but the caveat is that 1.) at great range the small perturbations of your barrel become more important and 2.) short bursts versus the garden hose of love.
blakkie
-5 dice < +5DV

It would take an extra 5 hits to generate that +5DV. So basically it assumes that you rolled a Hit on all those dice, but risk not hitting at all.
Zen Shooter01
Wounded Ronin: Range modifiers to dice pool take into account your issue.

Blakkie: You can't get around the fact that you fired six bullets, but only doubled the base damage. The net hits adding to DV makes sense in semiautomatic, but is underpowered in burst fire.
FrostyNSO
One way or another, that first shot out of the barrel should still be right on....

edit: Or at least as on as you aimed it.
Taki
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
1.) at great range the small perturbations of your barrel become more important

It is so true. the recoil perturbation on the barrel could be mesured as an angle.
The loss of accuracy caused will then be proportionnal to the distance of the target.
Serbitar
Recoil compensation ?
Earthwalker
Yeah its -5 dice but you can always put gas vent 3 and a stock on the gun and your at -1 die for the +5 dv. Seems like a good trade off to me.
MortVent
or slap gasvent 3 and a shockpad on the ares alpha... 6pts total rc (good for full auto and bursts)
Sabosect
QUOTE (MortVent)
or slap gasvent 3 and a shockpad on the ares alpha... 6pts total rc (good for full auto and bursts)

Actually, that's not the most you can do with it.

Under SR3 rules, I can get it higher. Gas Vent 4 + Shock Pad + Customized Grip. Total of 8 points of RC. Add in the modifiers for a rangefinder and the SL-2 and it becomes nearly impossible to miss a shot on full auto. You don't even want to know about my recoilless belt-fed HMG.

So, what relevance does this have to the conversation? Simple. Under SR3, there was always more advantage to piling on as much RC as you could find in a full auto weapon and then shooting it than there was in burst fire. Yes, you could make a completely recoilless burstfire weapon, but you always did more damage with more bullets. Conservation really isn't that much of a problem if you shop smart.

Now, what about SR4? Well, the penalties that encouraged it in SR3 are even worse now. Instead of being a damned good idea to pile on as much RC as possible, it's now almost a requirement. If anything, I fully expect more people to be walking around in SR4 with guns that can fire 6+ rounds without recoil than I did in SR3.
MortVent
Well any gun I had for my chars besides SS weapons wound up with some recoil comp unless it was equipped with a silencer/suppressor
blakkie
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Blakkie: You can't get around the fact that you fired six bullets, but only doubled the base damage. The net hits adding to DV makes sense in semiautomatic, but is underpowered in burst fire.

They didn't all hit the same spot (if they did it wouldn't be any harder to dodge), so it is quite possible they didn't all hit.

P.S. This is abstracted combat after all.
mmu1
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Firing a long narrow burst out of an SMG, you suffer a -5 dice pool, use up six bullets, and gain only +5 DV. So you use up six times the ammunition, trade off about half your dice pool, and only double your damage. You also, incidentally, make it easier to dodge, because with a dice pool cut from 10 to 5, you can now expect 1 or 2 hits, instead of 3, and your target gets no modifiers to his dodge at all.

I will admit that this system does make firefights a lot more survivable.

But off the top of my head, I'd say net hits on burst fire should multiply the damage, with a cap equal to the number of bullets fired. The target should get to double his armor rating.

Thoughts?

"Only" +5 DV? Normally, to get an extra 5 DV you'll need 15 dice. It's an extremely good trade-off.

Systems that actually resolve burst fire on a bullet-by-bullet basis tend to have armor DR, which gets subtracted from each and every shot, and they also make it quite hard to hit with more than one or two bullets out of a burst because they don't have the fantasy recoil comp rules that SR does.

The entire SR3 and SR4 firearm systems are abstract things barely grounded in reality, but they sure as hell aren't stingy when it comes to the effects of burst fire...
Zen Shooter01
blakkie: The idea that not all the bullets hit is represented by the -5 dice pool.

mmu1: It's a terrible trade off. As I demonstrated earlier, you're better off firing on semiauto. And this system is telling me that the base damage for one shot is 5, and the base damage for six is 10.

Your point that more 15 dice are required to expect 5 more hits on a to-hit roll is irrelevant, because we aren't talking about the skill of the user, we're talking about the raw power of the firearm. How much lead is flying through the air, not how well it was aimed.
Autarkis
The skill of the user is applicable and relevant to the discussion, just not condusive to your arguement.
blakkie
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Sep 10 2005, 11:13 PM)
blakkie: The idea that not all the bullets hit is represented by the -5 dice pool.

Says who?
Zen Shooter01
Blakkie: What else could the -5 dp modifier be meant to represent except loss of accuracy due to recoil, resulting in some bullets missing the target?
Earthwalker
I cant see you are better of with semi auto if you have the compensation for firing bursts which is possible to get, or at least to compensate for alot of the recoil.

What would you prefer to see for firing short, long and full auto bursts ?
snowRaven
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Blakkie: What else could the -5 dp modifier be meant to represent except loss of accuracy due to recoil, resulting in some bullets missing the target?

I think the truth is that you are both correct:

The -5dp represents loss of accuracy, and the low(?) +5 dv represnts that with a basic hit with a burst, not all of the bullets actually hit in a way that is very damaging to the target.

With more successes, however, you managed to get a good hit, thus raising the damage indicating that more of the bullets hit in vulnerable places...
Lebo77
QUOTE (Zen Shooter01 @ Sep 11 2005, 12:13 AM)
mmu1: It's a terrible trade off. As I demonstrated earlier, you're better off firing on semiauto. And this system is telling me that the base damage for one shot is 5, and the base damage for six is 10.

It's a bad trade-off only if you have the time to empty your gun one bullet at a time, and the target is not wearing armor.

Game mechanicly, multiplying damage by the number of shots fired would make burst-fire unrealisticly effective unless you also multiplied the targets armor and body by the same number. If you fired one shot at a time, the target woul get to resist each one, so the same should apply with a burst. This would lead to rolling handfulls of dice, and slow the game un-reasonably. It's simpler just to apply a modifier then roll each bullet.

For example. Shooting your RC 3 Hn'K at a Bod 3 human in an 8/6 armor jacket:

Semi auto: Roll 10 dice, get 3.33... successes average for 8.33.. DV (5 base) x2 = 16.66.. (8.33 each)
The target rolls Reaction to avoid GETTING hit (avg 1 success, dropping the DV of each to 7.33) then Bod + Armor to resist damage. He gets (assumeing all 3's for attributes) 1 success to avoid and 3.66.. successes to resist for each shot. Total damage reduction = 9.333..
Total Damage taken by the target: 7.33.. STUN! (your DV for each shot is below his armor value)

Let us now consider fireing a pair of short bursts at the same target, to maximize effectiveness and demonstrate the advantages of burt-fire, both will be narrow:

You roll 10 dice to hit (full compensation), avg 3.33 successes for a DV of 10.33

Target rolls 3 dice, avg 1 success. He takes 9.33 resisted by 11 dice avg successes: 3.66
Target takes 5.66 boxes of physical damage (9.33 > armor of 8 )

Second burst: roll 7 dice (recoil. Ain't life a bitch) for an average of 2.33 successes. DV: 9.33

Target rolls.. 3 dice to dodge gets 1 successes. Resists 8.33 damage with 11 dice for 3.66 successes. takes 4.33 physical damage.

Total damage is 5.66 boxes of Physical plus 4.33 boxes physical = 10 physical damage and one dead Bod 3 human.

Now 10 physical is greater then 7.33 stun in my book.

I have neglectied to include wound penilties or statistical models (sensitivity anailisis) in this to keep things simple, but the odds are decient that if you fired six individual shots with an SMG, in the situation described above, some would hit and be stopped by armor (stun dmg). Some would penetrate (unlikely, but if you got a good roll and he missed his reaction roll, you need 4 net successes which is hard to get on 10 dice vs. 3) , and some would miss completely (ok, maybe 1 near the end. 7 dice vs. 3 is good odds). The chance of bullets missing goes up as the recoil increases. If you fired two long bursts the last rounds would be quite unlikely to hit at all. (2 dice vs. 3 and you need to win, not tie)

The trick here is that would make the game less fun.

I realise this is unrealistic. I accept te system is abstract. You want perfect realism? Join the army. There is a "campaign" going on in Iraq in right now that is looking for "players". I hear the system they use for modeling wound balistics is very true-to-life. There is even a complex political system you can get involved with if you like that kind of thing.
booklord
Let me get this straight......

I've got a character wearing 7 ballistic armor.

Now his enemy is using a gun base 6P damage capable of semi-automatic fire or burst fire.

Firing automatic the enemy hits doing 6P base damage and does stun damage.
But if firing a burst the enemy does 8P base damage and does physical damage.

Does the Logic seem a little flawed here?
( Ah who am I kidding the logic was even worse in SR3 )
Serbitar
nope, thats wrong, modified DV is only base DV +nethits, not including burst or auto modfiers
Taki
Are you sure the damage added by the burst help piercing the armor ? It is not logical indead.

I think in real life a full auto is very efficient against a target close from you, and very ineffective at long range. The rules don't take care of that.
FrankTrollman
The thing to remember is that thee is only one damage resistance test, and damage is an opposed roll. That means that the initial damage doesn't even really matter - the important thing is how much damage you have over and above their soak.

So if you do 7 DV, that isn't less than a 50% bonus to damage over 5 DV, it's almost double. Because what actually happens is that your opponent rolls about 9-10 dice and gets about 3 successes on the soak test. And that means that your opponent is actually taking about 2 wounds from a 5 DV attack and about 4 wounds from a 7 DV attack.

Basically the DV of an attack is not a linear scale. Two 3 DV attacks does not make a 6 DV attack. The way Shadowrun damage works, each additional DV you add is a bigger and bigger deal since it is more and more certain that it corresponds to an actual wound level on your opponent.

So this entire conversation is perplexing. Sure, the autofire rules are pretty abstract, and the rules for wide bursts should be a little friendlier if you want people to actually use them, but the essential premise that adding 2 DV to a 5 DV weapon is adding less than half to the overall power of the attack is menifestly false and clearly grounded in a lack of understanding the SR4 mechanics.

-Frank
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Lebo77)
I realise this is unrealistic. I accept te system is abstract. You want perfect realism? Join the army. There is a "campaign" going on in Iraq in right now that is looking for "players". I hear the system they use for modeling wound balistics is very true-to-life. There is even a complex political system you can get involved with if you like that kind of thing.

I tried that, but they hung up on me when I said I could make it from 4:00-10:00 PM EST on Sundays.

~J
Adarael
What I find amusing is the premise that placing 5 bullets down the same channel should inherently be more traumatising to a body than putting one in the chest, one in the gut, and one in each leg. Or that either of these wound patterns is 'five times' as traumatizing as a single bullet.

I wasn't aware people had damage meters that allowed us to determine if being stabbed five times is more traumatizing than being stabbed by five knives at once.

Remember: the damage system is abstracted, and predicated on the cinematics and playability of it, not exhaustive real-world testing. Very few people in the RPG world want to play a game where they can probably survive a single shot, but the moment someone switches to autofire, they're assured they have to rip up their sheet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012