Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4th review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NightmareX
(Before anyone starts, yes I'm aware there are countless threads on this subject, and no, I don't care. These are my opinions and I'd prefer they don't get buried and ignored somewhere. Beside, this puppy is long.)

After finally finishing looking things over, doing a couple of conversions, comparing editions, etc. I've come to the following conclusions (in no particular order):

Loves
Edge – Totally fraggin awesome! No more "character X has a double-digit karma pool, so he's effectively god" syndrome
Street Cred/Notoriety/Public Awareness - Finally, some decent and manageable rules for reputation (even if the "household word" level of Public Awareness is set too low)
Recoil - punks with SMGs and assault rifles are now a viable threat
Initiative - now at least you don’t have to have some sort of reflex booster to stand a chance (even a small one) against the ever growing numbers of adepts and cyber-monsters roaming the streets
Summoning & Binding changes - should have been done years ago

Attribute + Skill Mechanic - more streamlined, simpler, easier
1-1 staging - again, simpler and easier
No more damage levels - nice and easy
Variable condition monitors - better reflects varying endurance levels IMHO
Skill groups - Sort of like a streamlined return to the days when skills had concentrations & specializations
No Force limits when learning spells - At first I didn't like it, but once I realized the reason they did it I came to enjoy the simplicity and potential power of this method
Light/Holdout pistols - now they're actually worthwhile
Beast spirits – Very nice, should have been included ages ago
Common Cost - Another nice little touch that should have been done ages ago, especially for characters that will settle for something less than the 10,000 nuyen a night hooker. smile.gif

Dislikes (minor gripes)
Character creation - The metatypes cost too much, the attributes cost too much (although they'd be fine if there were only six of them still or the 200 point limit was increased), and the skill groups are prohibitively expensive
The cost of Magic – Magician/mystic adept/adept status is too cheap. GM permission is not an effective control against players whose greatest real world skill is whining.
Contacts – Contacts now cost bp, and face characters (one of the better ideas from SR3) get a kick in the teeth.
Karma woes - Recreating a character from previous editions (with full skills, spells, etc) costs about 1.75x as much karma as the character has actually earned from a 500bp base
Changes to foci - Why? What, all of a sudden all the foci in the world reformated themselves? Please. Game mechanics should support the world (and ideally be "invisible" in the context of the setting), not make senseless changes to it without explanation
Bioware now costs Essence - Like I said above, why the sudden change? At least this one can be partially explained by a rise in the world-wide level of ambient mana
Where have all the deckers gone? - Wired systems still exist, as do jackpoints. A cyberdeck can still be just as good (or maybe slightly less good) as a commlink on the Matrix foodchain. The assumption that all the equipment from previous editions just "disappeared" is shakey at best.
Smartlink II - Like I said above, how does the "improved" version jive with the new standard version
What the Frag? – Paraphrasing what someone (can’t remember who) here on Dumpshock said recently “Fifteen years of frag, and now we’re back to fuck.” I know some people hated SR’s invented slang, but I for one loved it. It’s part of the charm of the setting, part of what makes it feel like it’s 60ish years in the future instead of just next Tuesday.
Pilot Ground Craft – What ever happened to wanting things to sound cool? Bike, Car, etc sounded so much better.
Elemental attack spells are Combat spells again – Will someone please make up your damn minds?
Technomancers – I never liked otaku, but I could live with them. Now, not only are their descendants in the main book (which I can live with), but they don’t even a single damn piece of cyberware to hack the Matrix and they lose Resonance if they implant cybergear (which I can’t). Hmm, what doesn’t add up here? Someone really dropped the continuity ball on this one.
Magical Ambiguity/Generic Spirits – The “one-size-fits-all” approach to magical traditions really irks me. Unless they take the time to expand on the (very real) differences between traditions in future products, a lot of (important!) detail and richness is lost in this approach. Likewise, while I like the idea of similar spirits for everyone (simpler, plus the differences between nature spirits and elementals weren’t that much mechanic-wise to begin with) some flavor is sacrificed with the change. And what about domains? Furthermore, everyone know uses “magic lodges”? Please. I guess all the nuyen spent on three different types of libraries just never existed in the first place, huh?
Mentor Spirits – I lumped this one in the dislike end of things because the negatives are more annoying than the positives are good. I like the idea that the mentor spirits are basically customizable now (making it possible for a healing oriented Grass Snake shaman and a cold-hearted Rattler shaman assassin to both, in essence follow Snake) but why change the traits of well-known and established totems/idols when the revised rules don’t require it? Change simply for the sake of change is dumb.

Hates
Caps on cyber/magi augmented attributes – What the hell? I always thought the purpose of all this cyberware/bioware/magical enhancement was to, you know, make you better than just human. But now, because some twit couldn’t deal with that idea, you stuck with being only 50% better than human. So much for the cyber in cyberpunk.
Caps on skills – So now, all of a sudden, the entire population of the entire world (including dragons and immortal elves that were already bored with life when God started teething) is pidgin-holed into one of seven little categories of skill in every conceivable skill that are static and will never change. "Hey, Mr. Da Vinci, why do you keep studying art? You know you’ll never get any better.” Dumb.
Banishing – What the bloody hoop-luvin hell?!? For 20 years of game time and three editions, banishing could be used to banish a spirit, which is what the name of the skill implies. Now, unless the spirit in question owes services to some magician, the banishing skill – which not more than 5 game years ago was a good way to deal with any spirit – is now totally fragging useless! Isn’t there somebody in the (no doubt) bloated depths of FanPro that gets paid to watch for such blatant fuck-ups? What are those people called again? Oh yeah, editors!
Centering – Lets take an established mechanic, that works a specific way in the setting and has a direct effect on the setting due to the way it works, dumb it down to 1st grade level and rip every last ounce of flavor out it. Good one.
Shielding – Mid-grade initiate + Counterspelling skill 3 or higher + counterspell/power focus + shielding = virtually invulnerable to hostile magic. Yeah, that’s balanced.

Final Score
Loves – 5
Likes – 9
Dislikes – 14
Hates – 5

So, in the end, the bad does outweigh the good but not by much. The points that I love fix major problems in the game. The points I don’t like mostly just boil down to an old dog (me) growling cause someone is trying to change his favorite bone. Furthermore, most of the points that I dislike/hate can easily be house ruled away, and I have a feeling that it won’t take 20+ pages of house rules like SR3 did.
hahnsoo
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Banishing – What the bloody hoop-luvin hell?!? For 20 years of game time and three editions, banishing could be used to banish a spirit, which is what the name of the skill implies. Now, unless the spirit in question owes services to some magician, the banishing skill – which not more than 5 game years ago was a good way to deal with any spirit – is now totally fragging useless! Isn’t there somebody in the (no doubt) bloated depths of FanPro that gets paid to watch for such blatant fuck-ups? What are those people called again? Oh yeah, editors!

Colorful language aside, I would like to point out that there are no "free" spirits defined in the SR4 BBB (although an SR veteran can certainly extrapolate them). To a new player coming to SR4, there are no spirits that are not connected to a magician through services. Thus, the Banishing skill is useful for all aspects of conjured spirits under the scope of the SR4 BBB. We don't know if there will be some sort of change in the Banishing skill that allows it to be used against free spirits in the upcoming magic book, so I'd hold onto your hat there.
blakkie
Centering – Lets take an established mechanic, that works a specific way in the setting and has a direct effect on the setting due to the way it works, dumb it down to 1st grade level and rip every last ounce of flavor out it. Good one.

How about taking a mechanic that is a stinking pile of feces and tossing it out the window to replace it with something that roughly follows the same spirit as the core use of the original**, but instead of being a festering, dice rolling wart it fits neatly in with the rest of the game.

** No, not all the extra uses of Adepts. Adepts got got other lovin' in return, and SR3 conversion PCs are going to have to wait for Street Magic to find another use for all those Centering use metamagics they took.
Xenith
I agree for the most part. I enjoy the concept of the technomancers more than most (despite being a bit of a stretch compared to many of the concepts) and actually find them almost more interesting than the various magic users.
NightmareX
Hahnsoo - Actually, there are free spirits mentioned - ones that go free as a result of a botched Binding. Admitedly a minor point in the core rules, but there nonetheless.

Blakkie - Don't get me wrong, the original mechanic (in all editions) was clumsy at best, but they could have found a better way to do it than they did. Or better yet, leave it untouched until Street Magic comes out (which is, IMO, what they should have done with initiation in general, instead of just covering the subject in a half-assed fashion).

Xenith - They may as well be magicians, with the Resonance loss and all.
blakkie
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 13 2005, 02:44 AM)
Blakkie - Don't get me wrong, the original mechanic (in all editions) was clumsy at best, but they could have found a better way to do it than they did.

What is your suggestion? The best i could come up with myself was "dump it in a ditch and deny all knowledge of it's existance".

Or better yet, leave it untouched until Street Magic comes out (which is, IMO, what they should have done with initiation in general, instead of just covering the subject in a half-assed fashion).

eek.gif NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What? Not have rules for increasing Magic until Street Magic comes out? Or put in a quarter-assed version of initiation like the SR3 BBB?
NightmareX
QUOTE (blakkie @ Sep 13 2005, 03:49 AM)
What is your suggestion? The best i could come up with myself was "dump it in a ditch and deny all knowledge of it's existance".

Something like "in order to use Centering, you must have an appropriate linked knowledge skill, designated when you learn this metamagic. Thereafter, when making Drain resistance test, role this skill (only the skill dice, not Logic+skill) and add any hits (to a maximum # hits = to your intiate Grade) generated to your the hits generated in your Drain resistance test. You can only have one centering skill, blah blah blah, etc."

Admittedly, that adds another dice roll, but the number of dice your using with it is neglible compared to almost every other test in SR4.

QUOTE (Blakkie)
eek.gif NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What? Not have rules for increasing Magic until Street Magic comes out? Or put in a quarter-assed version of initiation like the SR3 BBB?

I would say yes, not have rules for increasing Magic (beyond 6) til Street Magic. Better that than create something you'll only have to rewrite if you decide to do it right later. Then again, if I were FanPro, I'd would have put out the core book, the GM screen, and the critters book all at the same time. And then put out the advanced rulebooks (cyber/gear, Matrix, magic, vehicles) in rapid sucession, one or two months apart.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Karma woes -  Recreating a character from previous editions (with full skills, spells, etc) costs about 1.75x as much karma as the character has actually earned from a 500bp base

Hm, my initial estimation was 2x, my actual is 1.5x - but the last one was using the 500 BP only for Stats... so I guess your's hit it fairly accurate.
blakkie
QUOTE (NightmareX)
Admittedly, that adds another dice roll, but the number of dice your using with it is neglible compared to almost every other test in SR4.

Another die roll is the core of the SR3 Centering suckage. DIE! DIE! DIE!

I would say yes, not have rules for increasing Magic (beyond 6) til Street Magic. Better that than create something you'll only have to rewrite if you decide to do it right later. Then again, if I were FanPro, I'd would have put out the core book, the GM screen, and the critters book all at the same time. And then put out the advanced rulebooks (cyber/gear, Matrix, magic, vehicles) in rapid sucession, one or two months apart.

If you were Fanpro you would not do that. If you were a company with huge financial resources you could consider doing that. But then your marketing department would stage a mutiny.
NightmareX
Rotbart - That estimation comes from converting a full magician (grade 5 initiate), a magician adept (grade 3 initiate), and a couple of other un-initiated magicians and adepts, so it might be off due to the double whammie of initiation cost + raise Magic cost. I always reserve the right to be wrong. biggrin.gif

Blakkie (Centering) - Actually, it's more like 1st edition, getting rid of the Centering (bleaach) "middle man" skill. Besides, it could be rolled simultaneously with the Drain resistance roll (using different colored dice, or just rolling the two "separate" rolls a few inches away from each other, or whatever).

Blakkie (Marketing) - I would, since a) I'm no good with money, and b) I hate marketing guys. biggrin.gif But you're right, they're taking a big gamble as it is without the "blitzkreig" method I was advocating.
blakkie
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 13 2005, 04:37 AM)
Blakkie (Centering) - Actually, it's more like 1st edition, getting rid of the Centering (bleaach) "middle man" skill.  Besides, it could be rolled simultaneously with the Drain resistance roll (using different colored dice, or just rolling the two "separate" rolls a few inches away from each other, or whatever).

Did i mention: DIE! DIE! DIE!

Note: I did use different coloured die for SR3 Centering, and it was still the suxxor.

Blakkie (Marketing) -  I would, since a) I'm no good with money, and b) I hate marketing guys. biggrin.gif   But you're right, they're taking a big gamble as it is without the "blitzkreig" method I was advocating.

It isn't even risk, it is getting the cash together. Plus on the marketing side dumping a lot of products on the market is creating competition with yourself. The number of customers that can and are willing to drop that much money on multiple books at once is somewhat limited. Sure they could slowly add them over time, but you don't get the same momentum boosts along the way that you get with periodic releases.
NightmareX
QUOTE (blakkie)
Did i mention: DIE! DIE! DIE!

But do you really mean it? nyahnyah.gif

Note: I did use different coloured die for SR3 Centering, and it was still the suxxor.

/shrug/ My biggest gripe about the SR3 version was the extra damn skill, and only half your successes counting as resistance successes. But in any case the way I mentioned is only one different way it could be done and still preserve flavor.

It isn't even risk, it is getting the cash together. Plus on the marketing side dumping a lot of products on the market is creating competition with yourself. The number of customers that can and are willing to drop that much money on multiple books at once is somewhat limited. Sure they could slowly add them over time, but you don't get the same momentum boosts along the way that you get with periodic releses.

True on all counts! (thanx, didn't think of the self competition angle. Told ya I'm bad with money smile.gif )
blakkie
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 13 2005, 04:58 AM)
/shrug/  My biggest gripe about the SR3 version was the extra damn skill, and only half your successes counting as resistance successes.  But in any case the way I mentioned is only one different way it could be done and still preserve flavor.

Well the dividing the successes by 2 wasn't so hot either. smile.gif

BTW the flavour of using some sort of skill is there still in the rules. When you take Centering you lock yourself into some type of action that you must perform every time you use Centering. Can't perform it? Can't Center. The only thing they lost really was Adepts using Centering to jump higher, shoot straighter, etc. Now Adepts can only use it for the [limited] times where they could take drain.
NightmareX
QUOTE (blakkie)
BTW the flavour of using some sort of skill is there still in the rules. When you take Centering you lock yourself into some type of action that you must perform every time you use Centering. Can't perform it? Can't Center. The only thing they lost really was Adepts using Centering to jump higher, shoot straighter, etc. Now Adepts can only use it for the [limited] times where they could take drain.

Yeah, noticed that little blurp on the end of the technique, but it's so understated that it's not even funny. Kinda relates to the way they watered down the traditions.
sapphire_wyvern
For what it's worth, my personal reaction to SR4:

Loves:
- The new Matrix rules. And the way that drones have been integrated. And hackable IC. It is beauty refined and crystallized, and if it isn't reverse-converted into the SR3R project, the people in charge of that project need to have their heads examined.

- Initiation, Mystic Adepts, Submersion, Technomancers, Ritual Sorcery, Watchers, Suppresive Fire, Bioware and Athletics rules in the *core* book.

- Unified rules. Range Combat = Melee Combat = Cybercombat = Astral Combat.

- No more weird-ass statistical effects for damage vs. vehicles. Steel Lynx drones are no longer titanium bubbles - impervious to anything but AV, but guaranteed to pop with even the lightest of brushes from AV ammo.

- The fact that modifiers now act in a sensible, linear way.

- The way that magic has been toned down a bit. The system has been made more class-less (which is good).

- The new spirit summoning rules that make *all* the summoning rules usable by *all* the summoning characters, just like I hoped for back in the day.

- Spirits that have powers determined by the summoner (within reason).

- Magical tradition creation (although the small number of published spirit types means that GM creativity will be called for).

- Much that was broken in SR3 is not in SR4.

- Skill groups.

- Monofilament Chainsaws.

- The fixed game economy, that makes saving up for a cyberware upgrade something conceivable, and no longer makes the average ganger carry the equivalent of several years' worth of crack, booze and whores around in his cyberimplants.

- Edge. What it is and how it can be used is far superior to SR3's Karma Pool. I'd like to see some rules for Team Edge sometime, though.

- I, also, am fond of the reputation-tracking system.

Dislikes:
- The Spirit Reaction stats.

- The effect of the summoning rules, when placed in the hands of a munchkin.

- The loss of the concept of a tactical dice pool that had to be allocated carefully (I don't miss the specific implementation in SR3 all that much).

- Not enough print space to really get across the feel of hermetics vs. shamans (but SR3 was no different).

- The loss of Light/Moderate/Serious/Deadly damage rules that made one-shot takedowns a regular occurence - which I believe is a *necessity* in a stealth-oriented game.

- The idea that wireless networking is suitable as a replacement for *all* of a wired network, including all the bulk and/or long-range data transfer, instead of just as a really good interface to mobile/isolated devices/users. Easily fixed by a setting "houserule" that doesn't affect the gameplay in any way whatsoever.

- Where has the Ford-Canada Bison and/or RR Prairie Cat gone in the vehicle list? And the GMC MPUV? Those were the standard "runner trucks" in every SR3 game I ever played in.

- In SR3, no runner could have an full-scale aircraft because of Availability restrictions. Now, no runner can have an full-scale aircraft because of the high/realistic price - even the cheapest workhorse utility chopper costs 225,000¥. I don't think a civilian light aircraft or helicopter is out of genre for Shadowrun (where there are ostensibly people who use military vehicles worth multiple millions of nuyen for smuggling), and I'd like to have it as a legal option for PCs.

- Hard capping traits. Fine for a game like Exalted, or Mage:The Awakening, where there's an arbitrarily large set of supernatural powers to explore and Attributes/Skills are only the beginning. Not so hot for SR where many characters can be left with nowhere to go but backfilling their secondary skillsets. On the other hand, in my long but sparse SR experience, I always spent the bulk of my Karma improving secondary abilities anyway because the return on investment is so much better!

- Magic users and Technomancers get the only soft-capped Attributes. Not truly fair, but on the other hand, unlikely to be an issue in realistic time frames for games and character advancement.

Loathes: None significant. Wait till I play it, maybe I'll find some.

As you can see, I have some significant loves for the new system and only relatively minor quibbles. Several of *those* are things that SR3 was just as bad, if not worse, at.

Overall? SR4++
Grinder
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern)
workhorse utility chopper costs 225,000¥. I don't think a civilian light aircraft or helicopter is out of genre for Shadowrun (where there are ostensibly people who use military vehicles worth multiple millions of nuyen for smuggling), and I'd like to have it as a legal option for PCs.

Now they have something to spend their money on in the game wink.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern @ Sep 13 2005, 06:10 AM)
- The new Matrix rules. And the way that drones have been integrated. And hackable IC. It is beauty refined and crystallized, and if it isn't reverse-converted into the SR3R project, the people in charge of that project need to have their heads examined.

Kag of course can speak more directly to this, but i think he is currently leaning towards not synchronizing the rigging/decking mechanics, and then both of those with meat world. The way SR4 initiative works across all these areas, and even into astral, so you don't have the funked timing issues is i think a highly under-appreciated improvement (at this time).

There is a suggestion in the SR3R threads to go towards that way (forget who, but they had suggested it long before SR4 was announced, and thus prior to SR3R), but Kag says he generally likes having different systems for different parts of the game. *shrug*

It is underlying design priorities like that that give me little hope for me to see SR3R as a viable option to SR4. EDIT: Meaning for me personally to play, to clarify in a feeble attempt to prevent kicking off a thread derailing/destroying sh!tstorm. wink.gif
apple
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern @ Sep 13 2005, 07:10 AM)
In SR3, no runner could have an full-scale aircraft because of Availability restrictions. Now, no runner can have an full-scale aircraft because of the high/realistic price - even the cheapest workhorse utility chopper costs 225,000¥. I don't think a civilian light aircraft or helicopter is out of genre for Shadowrun (where there are ostensibly people who use military vehicles worth multiple millions of nuyen for smuggling), and I'd like to have it as a legal option for PCs.

Just a quick note to that: IRL helicopters and airplanes cost hundred thousands or millions of dollar, even used. Even one of the most sold and smallest helicopters today, the R22 (for two small people), costs IIRC 150 000$ new. Of course, due to advanced production methods or increased usage of these crafts (=> higher production rate => lower price) the price could drop.

Don´t forget, that the prices in the book are normally for new vehicles or for vehicles in very good shape. Used airplanes could easily drop the price to one-third or something.

SYL
hobgoblin
about the complaints on foci changes and similar changes not coverd in the back story. fasa pulled a similar one going from SR2 to SR3, suddenly grounding was totaly gone and you could pass thru living beings. no backstory for the change, nada.

and having all elemental effect spell be combat spells makes more sense then having them all be elemental manipulations. the design rules in MITS didnt cover the diff between elemental manipulations and other manipulations and therefor you could in theory use said rules to design sustained damage spells eek.gif but then it may well be that we do not get design rules this time round...
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
about the complaints on foci changes and similar changes not coverd in the back story. fasa pulled a similar one going from SR2 to SR3, suddenly grounding was totaly gone and you could pass thru living beings. no backstory for the change, nada.

And don't forget Spell Locks. Though to be fair, they were replaced by sustaining foci, and both rules and fluff-wise the old spell locks were a nightmare. Even so, having to use Retroactive Continuity so that whenever I seen an old product refer to a spell lock I mentally read sustaining foci instead left a bad taste in my mouth. I can take that kind of RetConning in comic books, because of the nature of the medium. I don't expect to have to do it with my Role Playing Games.

At least when they phased out program carriers, they acknowledged the change in game after giving us a viable alternative (cranial cyberdecks), and came up with the brain cancer explanation for an explanation.
Adam
(no doubt) bloated depths of FanPro

*falls on floor, laughing*
blakkie
QUOTE (Adam)

What are you laughing about? You ARE the bloat of Fanpro. nyahnyah.gif

P.S. While you are here what is my best chance option to try find out the offical intent/interpretation of a SR4 rule?
Adam
info@shadowrunrpg.com would be the place for that.
Pistons
QUOTE (Adam)

Maybe it's Ada's time of the month. wink.gif
Taran
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern @ Sep 13 2005, 06:10 AM)

Kag of course can speak more directly to this, but i think he is currently leaning towards not synchronizing the rigging/decking mechanics, and then both of those with meat world.

All true, but Kagetenshi is a benevolent dictator, and amenable to reason. While unified rigging/decking isn't going to happen for SR3R, if there are individual ideas in the rigging or decking rules that you like (hackable IC sounds intriguing), sketch a proposal and post it. I know I'd be interested in anything that could simplify the rigging rules proper.

unhijack
Fortune
QUOTE (Taran)
... but Kagetenshi is a benevolent dictator, and amenable to reason.

Just keep on believing that. grinbig.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 13 2005, 10:12 AM)

Maybe he's implying that Rob had a bad enchilada?

In SR3 the Matrix works on the same initiative scale as the Astral and the Meatworld, so they're already synchronized. I am indeed leaning towards not unifying decking and rigging, but I could be persuaded otherwise. The SR3R thread's open to anyone.

Suggestions are good. Suggestions with detailed explanations of what the suggestion brings to the table are better. An actual implementation is best, though obviously not necessary—still, if you can both capture my imagination with an idea and show me how it's workable (even if your idea isn't bulletproof) you're maximizing your chances of it seeing implementation in SR3R.

sapphire_wyvern: thus far I haven't been too impressed with the new Matrix rules, so I'd appreciate it if you'd pop over and tell us what you really like about it. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

~J
Nimbex
QUOTE (Pistons)

Maybe it's Ada's time of the month. wink.gif

Nope, SR4 establishes quite clearly that menstruation is "females only". So good that was clarified. x.x
Adam
Pistons is quite clearly talking about my not-prolific sister.
JongWK
Adam, you *definitely* have to send them your sister's profile. If you don't have the time, I'm sure that many here will volunteer to write it. wink.gif
Semichrist
For the record, for those unaware, that was not originally my typo. It is how it appears in the book. smile.gif

That said, unless you would like "Ada" to remain for humor value, it will be corrected soon. I'm a bit embarrassed that I missed it when I was doing the data entry...
Gondor
I just really, really want the book frown.gif
Adam
QUOTE (Semichrist)
That said, unless you would like "Ada" to remain for humor value, it will be corrected soon.

Don't get rid of her; she's my only sister that's amounted to anything! wink.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (sapphire_wyvern)
- Unified rules. Range Combat = Melee Combat = Cybercombat = Astral Combat.

Forgot about that one, also a like. smile.gif

- The way that magic has been toned down a bit. The system has been made more class-less (which is good).

Sorry, but IMO Magic has actually been toned up, not down. Also a good thing, since one would expect that as the Awakening progresses.

- Spirits that have powers determined by the summoner (within reason).

- Magical tradition creation (although the small number of published spirit types means that GM creativity will be called for).

Also likes.

- Monofilament Chainsaws.

For the closet psycho in all of us. biggrin.gif

- The idea that wireless networking is suitable as a replacement for *all* of a wired network, including all the bulk and/or long-range data transfer, instead of just as a really good interface to mobile/isolated devices/users. Easily fixed by a setting "houserule" that doesn't affect the gameplay in any way whatsoever.

Agreed, from a technical standpoint its just plain non-sensical to go completely wireless.

- Where has the Ford-Canada Bison and/or RR Prairie Cat gone in the vehicle list? And the GMC MPUV? Those were the standard "runner trucks" in every SR3 game I ever played in.

- In SR3, no runner could have an full-scale aircraft because of Availability restrictions. Now, no runner can have an full-scale aircraft because of the high/realistic price - even the cheapest workhorse utility chopper costs 225,000¥. I don't think a civilian light aircraft or helicopter is out of genre for Shadowrun (where there are ostensibly people who use military vehicles worth multiple millions of nuyen for smuggling), and I'd like to have it as a legal option for PCs.

These are two general ideas I'm happy they included. Given the changes to SOTA, advertising cycles, inflation, etc. I'd be really disappointed if prices and availability of things remained static.

NightmareX
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

I know, I didn't like it then either. frown.gif

and having all elemental effect spell be combat spells makes more sense then having them all be elemental manipulations. the design rules in MITS didnt cover the diff between elemental manipulations and other manipulations and therefor you could in theory use said rules to design sustained damage spells eek.gif but then it may well be that we do not get design rules this time round...

Actually I like fireball etc. as Combat spells, I just wish someone would make up my mind. biggrin.gif

And they'd better give us spell design rules, otherwise we'll just have to make them ourselves (really easy in this system). biggrin.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 13 2005, 08:52 AM)

And don't forget Spell Locks. Though to be fair, they were replaced by sustaining foci, and both rules and fluff-wise the old spell locks were a nightmare. Even so, having to use Retroactive Continuity so that whenever I seen an old product refer to a spell lock I mentally read sustaining foci instead left a bad taste in my mouth. I can take that kind of RetConning in comic books, because of the nature of the medium. I don't expect to have to do it with my Role Playing Games.

At least when they phased out program carriers, they acknowledged the change in game after giving us a viable alternative (cranial cyberdecks), and came up with the brain cancer explanation for an explanation.

I still slip and call them spell locks alot, resulting in my players looking at me like I'm speaking some foreign language. cool.gif
sapphire_wyvern
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 14 2005, 08:16 PM)

Sorry, but IMO Magic has actually been toned up, not down. Also a good thing, since one would expect that as the Awakening progresses.

You may be right about the "tone-up". I haven't analysed the cost of having to purchase a Magic Attribute vs. the price paid in SR3 to get the full 6, so I don't know if magic has become relatively cheaper or more expensive. I'll certainly have to play SR4 a lot more before I decide whether magic's been toned up or down. smile.gif By "toned down", I was referring principally to the ability to play a "weak" mage with reasonable BP efficiency at character generation - say Magic 2 to 4. If no one actually uses that opportunity... <shrug>

Certainly the Spirit rules *appear* to be a bit too powerful. Of course, the Force 8 spirits were *exactly* as hard to kill in SR3 as they are in SR4, if not harder (weapons with a damage code greater than 16 are somewhat rare, and attack roll successes did squat for bypassing the hardened armor) but they appear to be a fair bit easier to summon these days. And the Reaction stats in the Spirit tables seem quite absurd. And the ability to heal Drain with a Heal spell? I dunno about that, seems suspiciously like paying off credit cards with other credit cards...

I was a bit taken aback by the "no Force limit on spells" rule but it's really starting to grow on me now.

Nevertheless, I do like the fact that playing a character who is only starting to explore their magical abilities is now a real possibility.

(Incidentally, I'd love to see Grounding as a metamagic in "Street Magic". That'll show those whiners about retconning smile.gif )

These are two general ideas I'm happy they included. Given the changes to SOTA, advertising cycles, inflation, etc. I'd be really disappointed if prices and availability of things remained static.

Fair enough, I suppose. The "dislike" is more due to surprise than anything else, really. Still, the GMC Bulldog has always been quite inferior as a rigger's command van... smile.gif
NightmareX
QUOTE (Adam)

Glad you liked it Adam! smile.gif

(btw, good to see you're still around. If you remember, I'm the guy that did that horrors conversion on the mailing list a few years back.)
Adam
QUOTE (NightmareX)

Sometimes I laugh when things are wrong, yet not funny. This was one of those times.
NightmareX
QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (NightmareX @ Sep 14 2005, 05:25 AM)

Sometimes I laugh when things are wrong, yet not funny. This was one of those times.

No prob smile.gif
(Actually, I have no idea how big FanPro actually is, I was just ranting)
Kagetenshi
FanPro is this big: *puts one hand on one side of Rob, puts the other hand on the other side of Rob, holds the hands up for a visual*

~J
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
FanPro is this big: *puts one hand on one side of Rob, puts the other hand on the other side of Rob, holds the hands up for a visual*

The Shadowrun division, yes. The Dark Eye is a lot bigger, being Germany's top RPG and all.
Adam
FanPro LLC and FanPro GmbH are two distinct companies.
Kagetenshi
Isn't it technically Fantasy Productions GmbH, while FanPro LLC is formally FanPro?

~J
Elldren
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Isn't it technically Fantasy Productions GmbH, while FanPro LLC is formally FanPro?

~J

You mean informally FanPro, 'cause it's formally FanPro LLC
Fortune
QUOTE (hahnsoo)
The Shadowrun division, yes. The Dark Eye is a lot bigger, being Germany's top RPG and all.

As far as I know, Rob (FanPro LLC) also handles the English versions of The Dark Eye and Battletech.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Elldren)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 16 2005, 01:14 AM)

~J

You mean informally FanPro, 'cause it's formally FanPro LLC

No, I mean it formally contains the string "FanPro" and does not contain the string "Fantasy Productions".

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012