Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cyberware Vs. Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Typhon
While looking over the cyberware and the bioware section in the SR4 core book I've noticed that bioware seems to have received a huge boost in effectiveness and it seems to me that for the boost that it gets it has a very small impact on the body , just as an example
Wired Reflexes Rating 3
- 5 essence , 100,000¥
+3 reaction , +3 IP

Now this is great in comparison to SR3's Wired , much cheaper but same bonuses(well sorta) and this is all fine and dandy for me but the thing that gets me heated is the changes bioware went though as an example Synaptic Boosters(Synaptic Accelerators for SR4)
Synaptic Booster (3)
- 1.5 essence , 240,000¥
+3 Reaction , +3 IP
Now sure the 240k price tag is pretty steep for sammies starting off but for the essence cost it is well worth it especially with it giving the same bonuses , but look at it this way deltaware wired is only going to have a essence cost of 2.5 and it costs a costly 1,000,000¥ , still 1 more essence then it ... I don't know maybe I'm just ranting here but half of the cyberware is going this way now(the Bio version kicking its hoop) .... I just feel a little weird the cyber is taking a back seat in a cyber punk type game . is anyone else getting this same feeling?
hahnsoo
There are a lot of things cyber that can't be purchased as bioware (visual enhancement, smartlink, commlink, control rig, etc.). But for those cyberware that have bioware equivalents, it looks like the bioware costs less Essence and costs more nuyen.
Squinky
Yep, It seems that way. Which is all good in my book. I have always been a hardcore implant guy, and this just seems like the natural progression though...
booklord
Sounds rather clunky to me. Did they just take all the reaction booster tech ( bio and cyber ) and make them all work the same?

If synaptic accelearators work just as good as wired reflexes then how do the others match up?

What about boosted reflexes?
What about move by wire?

What about those reaction enhancers?
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (booklord @ Sep 16 2005, 11:14 PM)
Sounds rather clunky to me.  Did they just take all the reaction booster tech ( bio and cyber ) and make them all work the same?

Pretty much. Which oddly in play isn't clunky at all. Every character simply has a number of initiative passes, and initiative doesn't go down during later passes, so if you went on 17 in the first pass and get to act in two passes, you go on 17 in the next pass. It speeds up play a lot.

The Synaptic Accelerator and the Boosted Reflexes are the same piece of tech now, and are called the Synaptic Booster.

What about move by wire?

Move By Wire is not in the basic book, and was never in any previous edition either. I predict that Move By Wire will add 1 to your IP, as well as +1 Reaction and +1 Agility for every level. If the essence cost is halfway competitive (1.3 Essence per level or less), people will line up to salivate over the prospect of getting it installed.

Every level adds 1 to your Reaction Attribute. That's it. No effect on your actions per round or anything, just adds to your Reaction. That being said, these things are awesome. Your Reaction is your Defense against all attacks. So this is basically +1 Combat Pool for .3 Essence. This item is in high demand. Especially for Riggers actually (since Reaction also adds directly to all piloting tests).

-Frank
booklord
In SR3 wired reflexes had a greater cost in essense but far superior performance and were detectable by the most basic cyberware detection. Synaptic accelerators had the least cost but the worst performance and were barely detectable at all short of a full medical scan. Boosted Reflexes came in the middle.

But this flavor has apparrently been sacrificed in SR4 on the altar of conformity. I find that clunky.

FrankTrollman
You find the prospect of unified game mechanics clunky?

I could accept it if you found them boring, but clunky?

----

That being said, the difference between Wired and Boosters now is a fairly large pile of money and an even larger (relatively) pile of essence. With the new edition's recosting of things, Wired Reflexes (and Muscle Replacement, for that matter) just didn't get the memo and cost way too much.

So yeah, noone is ever going to have Wired Reflexes except minor thugs. That's a problem.

But the unified game mechanics, that's not a problem.

-Frank
booklord
Perhaps clunky is the wrong word........

But in SR3 players had to make a choice between performance and detectability and essense cost. In SR4 that choice is obvious because one system is plainly better or equal than the other in every way. Would it really have been so difficult for them to figure out a way for wired reflexes to have a performance advantage to compensate for its obvious disadvantages? ( Detectability and essense cost )

The same thing happened when they meshed magic traditions together. They lost a lot of flavor for the sake of conformity.

I'm determined to make this game more like SR3 using house Rules . ( trying to combine the more streamlined play of SR4 with SR3's better flavor ). But I'm starting to get a real view of how daunting that task may be.
Fortune
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So yeah, noone is ever going to have Wired Reflexes except minor thugs.

Or people that want to be able to turn them on and off.

I don't really have a problem with this. Poor people get less optimal tech. Seems alright to me.
Squinky
I don't know man. Starting Chars have the choice of paying 160,000 for lvl 2 Boosters or 32,000 for level 2 Wired....Seems like they both have their niches to me.

Booster lvl 2==32 BPs
Wired lvl 2==6.4 BPs

It seems that essence isn't as big a deal as it used to be, so going alpha Wired 2 seems like a good choice to me.
HappyDaze
Every level adds 1 to your Reaction Attribute. That's it. No effect on your actions per round or anything, just adds to your Reaction. That being said, these things are awesome. Your Reaction is your Defense against all attacks. So this is basically +1 Combat Pool for .3 Essence. This item is in high demand. Especially for Riggers actually (since Reaction also adds directly to all piloting tests).

I'm not sure that they have any demand since most runners will have high Reactions and will likely have nearly maxed-out the modified limit with some form of initiative booster.

For a human or ork with Reaction 6 and Wired Reflexes 3/Synaptic Booster 3, there's no real need for the Reaction Enhancer. Dwarves have even less need.

Jay
booklord
Gone from

Synaptic Accelerator - Worst Performance, Best resistance to detection, best essense cost
Boosted Reflexes - Mid-range in all
Wired Reflexes - Best performance, Easily detectable, worst essense cost

* not including move-by-wire

To

Boosters - Same performance, Best Essense Cost, assumed more difficult detection
Wired Reflexes - Same performance, worst essense cost, assumed easier detection

It's not the change of mechanics I object to. It's the loss of variety and flavor. One player could choose to go the less invasive and more concealable route while another could choose the better preformance but more invasive and detectable route. And the true cyber nuts could go with move by wire. ( Synaptic accelerators were rare as at that point they'd just as easily go physical adept )

Now if you've got the cash there is no reason why you shouldn't go for the bioware version.

Potential House Rule
---------------------------
Synaptic Boosters know only add +1 initiative pass per level and does not increase reaction. But does recieve considerable advantages of being less detectable and much more diffucult to disable through anti-enhancement technology.
Fortune
QUOTE (booklord @ Sep 17 2005, 05:03 PM)
Now if you've got the cash there is no reason why you shouldn't go for the bioware version.

Unless, as I mentioned before, you actually want to be able to turn them off and on.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (booklord)
It's not the change of mechanics I object to. It's the loss of variety and flavor.

Potential House Rule

Wait until you played until you houserule. wink.gif

In 2070, bioware is the stated way of the future concerning modifications, so the fluff has changed.
Serbitar
Though, I still dont get why bioware should be as good as cyber. ANd after all, its Cyberpunk and not Biopunk.
Rotbart van Dainig
Burn in pun hell. dead.gif
booklord
In 2070, bioware is the stated way of the future concerning modifications, so the fluff has changed.

Which is why its my stated goal to house rule SR4 so it more resembles SR3 in fluff or flavor while keeping what I think will be more efficient gameplay of SR4.

I like that bioware now costs essense at a lesser rate than cyberware. A simplification that makes sense. I also think the initiative rules in practice sound easier than the calculations in SR3. But I'd still like a noticable performance difference between bioware and cyberware for reflex mods.

I want to play SR4 Classic! ( SR4 that resembles SR3 in fluff )
hobgoblin
so either shave of a ip or some of that reaction bonus...
booklord
so either shave of a ip or some of that reaction bonus...

Which is exactly what the potential house rule I listed above does.
hobgoblin
oops, missed that part silly.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You find the prospect of unified game mechanics clunky?

I could accept it if you found them boring, but clunky?

Yes, clunky. A kludge. A bad solution, making things that should not operate similarly operate similarly.
QUOTE (Fortune)
Unless, as I mentioned before, you actually want to be able to turn them off and on.

Which would be wonderful if it actually gave an advantage in the mechanics. Or have I missed something in my searching?

~J
FrankTrollman
A simple way to get the kind of results you are looking for is to put Wired Reflexes onto the same kind of linear track as Synaptic Boosters.

At 11,000 nuyen.gif and 1 Essence point per level, you'll see a lot of people using Wired. At most nuyen price points you get a substantially higher level of Wired and yet pay significantly more Essence both in absolute terms and relatively. In the ultra-longterm, people with the sweetest gear are still going to be using the bioware (as it costs as much essence for the standard grade as Wired would for Delta Grade, and it costs 27% less nuyen.gif .

In general, always adjust costs first and reserve mechanics changes for when you have a better grasp of the system. This is because an adjustment to the costs of things i always relatively limited in scope, while a mechanical change may have far reaching and unpredictable ramifications. Since I believe that you can get the results you are looking for (higher performance, but "lower tech" feel out of the cyberware version) with a simple cost adjustment, you should try that first.

For one thing, if you later decide that it's a bad idea, a cost adjustment is pretty easy to retcon. Much more so than a more far reaching change.

-Frank
booklord
In general, always adjust costs first and reserve mechanics changes for when you have a better grasp of the system. This is because an adjustment to the costs of things i always relatively limited in scope, while a mechanical change may have far reaching and unpredictable ramifications. Since I believe that you can get the results you are looking for (higher performance, but "lower tech" feel out of the cyberware version) with a simple cost adjustment, you should try that first.

Got to Disagree.

If after playing I the GM still want to make the change then those players who have Synaptic Boosters are going to feel gypped. This would go for any mechanics change that would significantly lessen the power of something a player has. ( And I'm planning a big one when it comes to summoning ) This is a potential change until I get the rule book ( deadwood edition ) and can make a more informed decision. But I'll make the decision then. I won't wait until after playing the game a few times to make it though. That simply wouldn't be fair to the players. The only good reason to lessen the power of something a character has after play has started is if something has proved unbalancing and disruptive to gameplay. The change to synaptic boosters would be to preserve the spirit of SR3 and wouldn't reach that criteria.
FrankTrollman
Remember how in previous editions a Boosted 3 system was the rough equivalent of Wired 2? Well that hang-up is gone for good. In SR4, if you have Reflex Enhancement 3, that means that you have Reflex Enhancement 3. Reflex Enhancement 3 in Bioware is just prohibitively difficult to get.

This is similar to how in previous editions you could stack the Synaptic Accelerator with other initiative enhancements (stacking it with Move-By-Wire in SR2 according to Cybertechnology, or Boosted Reflexes in SR3 according to Man and Machine). Through some very complicated systems of ropes and pulleys you could arrange in most previous works to have a total bio-based system that equalled or exceeded anything Wired was capable of - just not until you were already an experienced character.

The only thing that is missing from that flavor set-up is that it's too frickin hard to get yourself Wired 3. If starting characters could purchase and afford Wired 3 without being jacked out of all their money and essence (and exceeding their availability restrictions besides), then the flavor of "better performance, lower tech" would be completely preserved.

Whatever you do, don't make a Rating 2 Wired System work functionally different from a Booster 2. That's a complete step backwards into chaos. The beauty of the new system is that ratings have relatively constant meanings across different devices. That's great. If you want Cyberware to have an edge, give it its edge by allwing higher ratings, don't try to give it an edge by having each rating mean more.

-Frank
booklord
Remember how in previous editions a Boosted 3 system was the rough equivalent of Wired 2? Well that hang-up is gone for good.

But the entire point of my potential houserule is that I liked that hang-up!

This is similar to how in previous editions you could stack the Synaptic Accelerator with other initiative enhancements (stacking it with Move-By-Wire in SR2 according to Cybertechnology, or Boosted Reflexes in SR3 according to Man and Machine).

Such a ridiculous cyber-bio-monkeys were pretty much reserved to the ranks of NPC cyber-zombies in my games. I suppose maybe if a player ever did get the cash I would have allowed synaptic accelerator 2 to add 1 die (instead of 2 ) to boosted reflexes. But it never came up. But yes such things would rightly be restricted to experienced characters.

The only thing that is missing from that flavor set-up is that it's too frickin hard to get yourself Wired 3. If starting characters could purchase and afford Wired 3 without being jacked out of all their money and essence (and exceeding their availability restrictions besides), then the flavor of "better performance, lower tech" would be completely preserved.

I'm kind of okay with wired 3 reflexes being extremely costly and hard to get.

Whatever you do, don't make a Rating 2 Wired System work functionally different from a Booster 2. That's a complete step backwards into chaos.  The beauty of the new system is that ratings have relatively constant meanings across different devices. That's great. If you want Cyberware to have an edge, give it its edge by allwing higher ratings, don't try to give it an edge by having each rating mean more.

No its a step away from conformity. Much of my issues with SR4 is that in the quest for consistant rules much of the flavor and spirit of SR3 has been lost. Is it really such a burden for the same level of wired reflexes and synaptic boosters to have different degrees of performance? Of course not!
HappyDaze
I've changed Wired Reflexes to 1.5 Essence and 15,000 nuyen.gif per level, Synaptic Booster to 0.5 Essence and 75,000 nuyen.gif per level, and the Adept version to 1.5 power points per level. It all seems fine for my purposes.

Jay
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (HappyDaze)
I've changed Wired Reflexes to 1.5 Essence and 15,000 nuyen.gif per level, Synaptic Booster to 0.5 Essence and 75,000 nuyen.gif per level, and the Adept version to 1.5 power points per level. It all seems fine for my purposes.

Jay

That's a reasonable enough cost point. There are a couple of things I don't understand:

1. Why did you drop the cost of Synaptic Boosters? I didn't know anyone was complaining that they were too cheap

2. Why did you leave Wired Reflexes at costing enough essence that Betaware was not a good investment compared to the Bioware version?

If Wired Reflexes costs 1 Essence per point, it isn't worth getting at delta when compared to Synaptic Boosters, but is still justifiable at beta (where you pay somewhat more essence but less moneys). If Wired costs more than that, it isn't worth buying at Beta either.

So what made you pick those price points? Personally, I don't give a crap what delta clinic attendees do because none of my players ever are one. So the price point where only delta is a bad deal is pretty reasonable to me. But I do want people to take Betagrade Wired as a serious option, if only so that there will be more options.

Without resorting to the Delta Clinic plot device, there are six grades of initiative enhancement that people can get for their characters, each costing more nuyen.gif and less essence than the one before it:

Wired Reflexes
Alpha Wired Reflexes
Beta Wired Reflexes
Synaptic Booster
Alpha Synaptic Booster
Beta Synaptic Booster

Under my house rules, the cost looks like this:

Wired Reflexes 11k, 1 Essence
Alpha Wired Reflexes 22k, .8 Essence
Beta Wired Reflexes 44k, .7 Essence
Synaptic Booster 80k, .5 Essence
Alpha Synaptic Booster, 160k, .4 Essence
Beta Synaptic Booster, 320k, .35 Essence

Each version costs about twice as much as the one before, and each version costs about 80% of the Essence of the previous version. That seems like a pretty good setup to me. What was your reasoning? This isn't a challenge, I'm genuinely curious.

-Frank
booklord
QUOTE: Frank Trollman
Wired Reflexes 11k, 1 Essence
Alpha Wired Reflexes 22k, .8 Essence
Beta Wired Reflexes 44k, .7 Essence
Synaptic Booster 80k, .5 Essence
Alpha Synaptic Booster, 160k, .4 Essence
Beta Synaptic Booster, 320k, .35 Essence

You can take alpha, beta, and delta grades of bioware? I thought Synaptic Booster was bioware. What's more unless the rules have changed considerably because the booster is part of the brain it has to be cultured bioware. Is this still true?
Kagetenshi
It's still Cultured, but bioware can now be taken in standard, alpha, beta, delta for some bizarre reason.

It is implied that Cultured Bioware is not standard-grade, but nowhere is this followed up on.

~J
booklord
It's still Cultured, but bioware can now be taken in standard, alpha, beta, delta for some bizarre reason.

Wow. I know that SR4 was making everything work the same for simplicity sake, but that's right down mind boggling. I'm going to have to think for a while before I figure out how I'll respond to this.
apple
Perhaps ... you could just use it? "Alpha" etc are just quality grades, "cultured" is a "production" method. Normal bioware can be produced in advance from standard sample cells, cultured bioware needs your cells as a sample.

SYL
Brazila
Yeah, that is how I took it too. I was suprised by this change but pleased with it.
booklord
Okay, I've thought about it.

Potential Bioware House Rules
---------------------------------------
For the sake of keeping some of the spirit of SR3.

Alpha Grade is refered to as cultured
Beta Grade is refered to as clonal
Delta grade is refered to as clonal + gene therapy

Bioware that is part of the brain or nervous system must be at least be cultured.

A delta clinic does not automatically have the capacity to provide and implant bioware. Some high end clinics work with high-end cyberware exclusively, some work with high-end bioware, and some work with both.
Squinky
Bioware that is part of the brain or nervous system are already called cultured. This may lead to some confusion if someone gets cultured alpha bio in your game.
Fortune
Personally, I really don't see any need to change it.
Kagetenshi
I think the implication is that everything that is already called Cultured is automatically Alpha-grade (with the cost and reduction factored in, and no basic grade available). Increase from there.

~J
WorkOver
oops.
WorkOver
QUOTE (booklord @ Sep 16 2005, 11:14 PM)
Sounds rather clunky to me.  Did they just take all the reaction booster tech ( bio and cyber ) and make them all work the same?

If synaptic accelearators work just as good as wired reflexes then how do the others match up?

What about move by wire?

Dude, wait until you buy the book or the PDF before ya complain.

also, if you wanna keeo the spirit of SR3, just play SR3.
booklord
Dude, wait until you buy the book or the PDF before ya complain.

Actually this is proving very useful for me. I'm learning about the parts I don't particularly care for and learning about other pitfalls in the system. It'll be of good use when I actually do get the book. ( It's on order )

also, if you wanna keep the spirit of SR3, just play SR3.

Because there are things in the SR4 that I do like? For example I like that the bio index is now history. I like that much of the gameplay appears to be faster and more efficient. I'm kind of under the belief ( or is it delusion? ) that with some house rules SR4 can be made to more resemble SR3 while still maintaining the streamlined functionality of SR4.
Blitzen
QUOTE (booklord)
also, if you wanna keep the spirit of SR3, just play SR3.

Look this is Shadowrun, regardless of it being 3rd or 4th maintaining a coherent and consistant universe is key to maintaining long-time loyal fanbase. That doesn't mean there can not be change, it does mean the changes need to reflect the previous incarnations in spirit in order to be a true successors.

The fact that bioware triumphs cyberware in a CYBERpunk game makes little sense, though the game being cyberpunk alone is not the only cause for agnst. Cyberware physically replaces the weaker meat portions of one's body with implanted machinery which will always be more powerful than meat. Having bioware reach the same capacity as cyberware doesn't make a lick of sense. The lower essence cost, yes that makes sense but why in Valhalla would bioware be as powerful as cyberware?
Nim
QUOTE (Blitzen)
The fact that bioware triumphs cyberware in a CYBERpunk game makes little sense, though the game being cyberpunk alone is not the only cause for agnst. Cyberware physically replaces the weaker meat portions of one's body with implanted machinery which will always be more powerful than meat. Having bioware reach the same capacity as cyberware doesn't make a lick of sense. The lower essence cost, yes that makes sense but why in Valhalla would bioware be as powerful as cyberware?

Your assumption that a cybered part will always be 'more powerful' than a bioengineered part is...well, very broad. It depends entirely on what part you're talking about. From the way you wrote that, I'm imagiing that the sort of thing you have in mind is, say, the grip strength of a mechanical hand versus a meat one. For that specific comparison, you're probably right...at least in a cyberpunk setting where we're assuming the existence of some small, light, very powerful energy source to give the thing juice.

But on the example of reaction speed, for instance...'combat drugs' that give the user accelerated reactions are a staple of the cyberpunk genre. they probably show up in about as many books and movies as the hardware 'implant wires to parallel the nerves' approach. Once you've accepted THAT, it's a tiny step to an implanted bioware gland that produces the same drug.

Some things will always be better as cyber, of course. Bioware implant weapons probably won't ever beat out a literal 'hand cannon' smile.gif

The 'augmented human' side of the cyberpunk genre doesn't have to be about machines, specifically. It's about people changing themselves with technology and becoming more (and maybe less) than they were before. It doesn't matter all that much whether the technology in question goes 'beep' or 'squish'.
Tarantula
The same way that a moderately strong troll is stronger than a human with maxxed out cyber arms.
Tetsuyama
Maybe the conversion from neuron to wire to neuron (cyber) is expensive enough time-wise that compared with a well-engineered neuron (bio), the two are approximately the same speed over the entire length, brain to motor neuron or muscle. There's gotta be some pretty nifty stuff on either end of the "cybernerve" which takes a non-zero amount of time to convert signals back and forth.
Teulisch
Its interesting that the debate is on reflexes. If anything, i think the real problem is with limb replacement.

so we have F bone lacing vs legal bone density. muscle replacement vs muscle toner+augmentation. dermal plating vs orthoskin.

looking at the way the rules have changed for dermal armor... I think its a fair bet that dermal sheathing is going to add to body to resist damage in the same way it used to add armor. the only difference between body to resist damage and armor, after all, is the break point where P bcomes S.
the current half the essence for 6 times the cost seems a bit odd to me, but whatever. the trick here is that you get the SAME essence loss for either type if you have more bioware than cyberware. alphaware dermal plates become a superior choice in that case on both money and essence.

with your bone enhancement... technicaly you could get both. aluminum+bone density is cheaper than titanium. the big kicker is you set off MAD and cannot get a permit for it.

for the muscles... 40% the essence loss for 3x the cost is a great deal. alphaware replacement when you have more bio than cyber is actualy equal in essence cost, and a way to save a little bit of cash.

we notice the reflexes because its such a much larger difference. I think a lot of wired stayed the same to balance out with adepts. that and you never see wired as cheaper/better than synaptic, just more affordable.
plus its usefull if you want to use SR4 rules to run a game in 2050 with less of the fancy cyberware availible (at least until SOTA advances).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012