> Dumpshock Volunteer[s] Needed
Adam
post Mar 5 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Hey folks,

We'd like a volunteer or volunteers to handle two different but similar tasks at dumpshock:

* posting Shadowrun news to the main page of dumpshock.com -- stuff like news about new websites, game aids, podcasts, FanPro news, links to cool threads in the forums, etc.

* posting "Shadowrun in real life" stories/news to the main page of dumpshock.com -- stuff like cyberlimb development, weapons developments, wacky news stories that sound like the Universal Brotherhood, etc.

Knowledge of basic HTML [hyperlinks, bold, italics] will be necessary but could be taught easily enough.

Ideally we'd like to have each category of news have 1 or 2 updates a week, and the same person could handle both categories if they like. If you're interested and have some time to spare, please send me a PM.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 5 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Isn't this sort of thing what this particular forum is headed towards?
Zeppelin
Coffin Hotels
To Space and Beyond
Stealth Sharks
Helicopter Drone
Virtual Drive
Swimming Spy Plane
Disney Spy
RL Shadowrun
RL Trideo
RL Suborbital Space Port
RL Navy Drone
All active in the last week.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Mar 5 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

The front page has a nice RSS feed for those who want to keep up to date without bogging through the ... culture ... of dumpshock. ;)

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Mar 5 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,115

I heard the internet is just a fad. Forums and RSS feeds are a passing thrill. If you wanted something a little more distributed, I would be willing to write a system where people submit links and a description, then a moderator just approves it. It helps to distribute the load a little. I can even include a DHTML editor.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 5 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

QUOTE (Platinum)
I heard the internet is just a fad. Forums and RSS feeds are a passing thrill. If you wanted something a little more distributed, I would be willing to write a system where people submit links and a description, then a moderator just approves it. It helps to distribute the load a little. I can even include a DHTML editor.

It also screams for spiders to come along and plant their links to spam websites, phishing websites, et cetera.

Quicker and easier, but more prone to junk links.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 5 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

That's why it's moderated ;)

I like the idea, personally. I could certainly pitch in and help moderate such a system whereas it'd be beyond my ability to perform the functions directly.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 5 2006, 11:04 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

But it also puts said moderators at risk if they don't have any basic protections put in place (or, hell, some advanced protections if you aren't really careful).

User-submitted is nice, but sometimes it's just too risky.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Mar 5 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (tanka)
But it also puts said moderators at risk if they don't have any basic protections put in place (or, hell, some advanced protections if you aren't really careful).

I have quite a few of these on different sites that I maintain. 90% of the links I get are decent. You get some yahoo's out there that submit junk, but those are gone with a simple click of a button. For someone to write a custom engine to submit links would not be worth their time.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 5 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

It's pretty trivial for someone to zap links over to the maintainer; since we already have a blog engine in place, I really don't think there's any need to re-invent the wheel. At the most, a simple web form for mailing them links and a description may be handy.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 5 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #10

Chrome to the Core

QUOTE (Platinum)
QUOTE (tanka @ Mar 5 2006, 07:04 PM)

I have quite a few of these on different sites that I maintain. 90% of the links I get are decent. You get some yahoo's out there that submit junk, but those are gone with a simple click of a button. For someone to write a custom engine to submit links would not be worth their time.

True, but how many of those sites get traffic like Dumpshock does?

Either way, whichever will stand via Adam's call. If he wants a user-submitted blog like that, he'll put it up. If not, he won't.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Mar 5 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #11

Running Target

how does 350,000 unique page views a month and 30,000 unique visitors sound?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 5 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I'm still waiting for a call for volunteers to moderate an off topic forum.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 12:31 AM
Post #13

Dragon

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm still waiting for a call for volunteers to moderate an off topic forum.

We tried that. Didn't work so well.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Mar 6 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #14

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Meh, I wouldn't much care for there being one. If people want to discuss other things, they can go to forums for other things.

No offense, but I don't come here to find out what people think about the economy. I come here to find out what people think about Shadowrun.

Just my "random passing by .02".

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 6 2006, 01:09 AM
Post #15

Chrome to the Core

Platinum: Sounds sucessful, but Dumpshock seems like it may have more popularity. That's just my opinion, and this probably isn't the place to discuss it.

eidolon: I agree. I can go to plenty of other forums for "off-topic" discourse.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 6 2006, 02:32 AM
Post #16

Runner

Yeah, and I call bullshit. Any community capable of civil discourse on one subject is capable of handling something so earth shattering as an off topic forum. Pick a few members of the community capable of self control to deal with problems as they arise and you have the entire situation sorted out.

If you don't like it, go ahead! Don't read it. No one said you had to. Why people on this forum act like the addition of an off topic forum would somehow bring ruin and destruction to precious Shadowrun will ever elude me.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Mar 6 2006, 02:39 AM
Post #17

Dragon

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Why people on this forum act like the addition of an off topic forum would somehow bring ruin and destruction to precious Shadowrun will ever elude me.

Your join date is long enough ago to remember the Lounge and the fiasco that surrounded it and its flaming crash into oblivion. The board hasn't seemed to suffer much from its absence.

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Mar 6 2006, 02:47 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Or Bulldrek.com, which has not been renewed

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Mar 6 2006, 04:34 AM
Post #19

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Arethusa)
If you don't like it, go ahead! Don't read it. No one said you had to.

If you like it, go ahead! Go to another forum. Nobody said you couldn't.
;)

Is it any different?

+Quote Post
emo samurai
post Mar 6 2006, 04:53 AM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 8,019

What was Bulldrek and the Lounge?

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 6 2006, 05:06 AM
Post #21

Chrome to the Core

The Lounge was the off-topic forum. Basically (from what I've read), it blew to flaming pieces a lot, and the administrators finally said "ENOUGH!" and deleted the whole thing.

This caused a lot of people to get angry, and so registered and moved to Bulldrek.

Obviously I could be way off, as I wasn't around.

Anywho, Arethusa, if you want an OT forum that also has RPG discussion, try RPG.Net (as much as I know some people here seem to hate them). Or any number of other free forums where you can discuss just about anything. Administration has said no, and I doubt they'll change their minds, well, ever.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 6 2006, 05:08 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Before your time, old son.

The Lounge was basically where Dumpshockers could talk about non-SR topics...and such became a breeding ground for flame wars, the last of which destroyed it.

Bulldrek was a cancerous budding from before the final demise of the Lounge, inhabited by the Abortion Engine (3278), Crazy Elf, and others to act out all the craziness and intelligent discussions that were getting them in trouble over in Dumpshock. Bulldrek was fabricated on a no-Admin, 100% freespeech policy...which actually worked until it finally died a year or two ago.

The death of the Lounge spawned Underworld93, while the loss of Bulldrek was partially offset by the Freespeech forums and Animalball forums.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 6 2006, 05:38 AM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Arethusa)
If you don't like it, go ahead! Don't read it. No one said you had to.

If you like it, go ahead! Go to another forum. Nobody said you couldn't.
;)

Is it any different?

Uh, yes. I'm not sure why it never seems to occur to anyone that part of the reason off topic forums usually work to tighten communities is that they allow disparate members of communities to get to know eachother better. If that's not your thing, fine, stick to the Shadowrun forum. RPG.net may be nice. I don't know (Bulldrek was generally a shithole, though). But it won't have the same people, which is already defeating much of the point.

I've yet to see the Dumpshock administrators present a reasonable argument for why a new off topic forum can't be formed with enlisted existing community members handling moderating. I've yet to see it fail anywhere else with a community that is otherwise more or less sane and pleasant.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Mar 6 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #24

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Arethusa)
But it won't have the same people

Who are you wanting to hit on? ;)

a community that is otherwise more or less sane and pleasant.

:eek: Are you serious? Are you actually typing this with a straight face? From the guy who typed this:
bullshit. Any community capable of civil discourse

lol

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 6 2006, 06:06 AM
Post #25

Runner

There is a difference between ever so slightly rough language and genuine hostility. This isn't the most well behaved or most wonderful forum I've ever been to. Doesn't have to be, either. I've only seen one forum ever that had genuine justification for not having an off topic forum (that would be The High Road).

tisoz, pm me for good time

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.