Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats in your Bolthole?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SL James
No. If it's C, then you have to beat them all up in melee while skyclad (or maybe in boxers). Then, see A.
Dog
(Going back to earlier posts.) Yep, gotta keep that bottle of vodka in the trunk of the car.

CRASH!
Me: "You okay buddy?"
Him: "Yeah, I think.... just shaken up."
Me: "My fault, I guess. No, it's okay, have a seat. My fault. You sure you're okay?"
Him: "...."
Me: "You look pale. Here, take a swig of this, it'll calm the nerves."
Him: (Drinks, pauses,) "Aren't you gonna have some?"
Me: "Nope, not 'till after the cops have been here."

Well, it might work.
Eddie Furious
What?
Only one bolt hole?

Okay, first off, don't be so predictable. A good operator will tail you for at least three to four weeks to let things settle and you to stop being so spooked.

Keep two to three bolt holes and at least one B.o.B. (Bail out Bag). Plus an emergency kit in each of your rides.

B.o.B.
B.o.B. should be kept light and to the point. If you need B.o.B. your are currently running from your flat after being caught in the shower by a Renraku hit team, who by some miracle cocked it up enough for you to get out of the bloody tub.

You should keep B.o.B. someplace where there is high traffic and a low probability of discovery.

Contents:
-1 x reliable side arm (common calibre easily purchased in the local area). My preference would be for a Sig P226 or a Browning, but hey, old habits die hard.
-3 x magazines for said side arm.
-1 x concealable holster.
-2 x magazine carriers.
-1 x sturdy folding knife
- wrap the above articles in a heavy plastic garbage bag.
-enough ammo to reload the magazines twice.
-Reliable torch (Surefire in my books).
-3 x change of batteries (be sure to change them out at each check).
- nuyen.gif 1000.00 in local currency various denominations.
- nuyen.gif 1000.00 in local denomination certified credstick.
-1 x small first aid kit.
-1 x "bus ticket" to someplace you have been before (NEVER use this ticket!).
-1 x change of clothing.
-1 x set of fake I.D.

Make sure you check on B.o.B. every few months, check weapons & clean them in a discrete location. Make sure the batteries are exchanged for fresh, use the old ones on a run or during day to day life.

Bolt Hole
The bolt hole is one of the more vulnerable places as it is static and you can't easily move it. But it should be moved after it has been used or once every six months. No exceptions. A lot of trouble but isn't your life worth it?

Keep it looking lived in, visit it at least once a week, in attire that would suggest your career forces you to spend excessive time away from home. That way you can keep the locals placated with the knowledge that you "spend a lot of time abroad, working"... Mind the locals chaps, they have been here a long time, so they know how to live here.

-1 full replacement kit for your job as a runner. Yeah, you heard me right.
- nuyen.gif 10,000.00 in local currency in various denominations.
- nuyen.gif 10,000.00 in local currency certified credstick.
-Keys to a second, reliable, vehicle (nothing flash folks, this isn't a James Bond movie).
-1 complete replacement wardrobe.
-1 complete set of furniture, appliances and sundry items.
-At least two hidden compartments for valuables. I know they'll find it eventually, but it also gives you a bargaining chip... and a second hidden compartment with some firepower, if you manage to get to it you might live...
-Extra ammo and replacement supplies for your running kit.
-Fake I.D. (remember that second hidden compartment?).
-CQB weaponry (a compact combat shotgun or a large calibre SMG) locked and loaded in above mentioned second hidden compartment.

Emergency Kit
The Emergency Kit in the back of your vehicle should be tailored to fit the compartment. A Rapier cannot hide a Panther Assault Cannon and ten extra mags. Be sure to check the Emergency Kit before and after each run, replace anything you used before you use it again. this one will be a bit vague, as what your respective runners carry will be pretty individual.

-1 x primary weapon + loaded magazines.
-1 x sidearm + loaded magazines.
-1 x replacement suit of armour.
-extra ammo and misc. ordinance.
-med kit.
-extra torch.
-extra vision ehancement devices.
-extra comm. set.
-extra batteries.
- nuyen.gif 10,000.00 in local currency, various denominations.
- nuyen.gif 10,000.00 in local currency on a certified credstick.

I know, it is pretty expensive, but hey, so is living in these troubled times chum. You wanna beat Ares or Renraku, be sure to not be there when they go to hit you.
Clyde
Consider keeping a Bail Out Bag with a contact or an extra stashed in a locker somewhere. Somewhere that your contact or whatever pays the charges for you every month so that you never go there and leave no paper trail. . . .
PBTHHHHT
A pre-paid (in cash), coffin motel, to store your items?

Yeah, the locker approach is good. maybe in a bus terminal... but maybe a gym, or something else. any suggestions?
caramel frappucino
You could always find the Seattle equivalent of this place.
hahnsoo
Nowadays, you can get flashlights/torches that never need batteries, transforming solar or mechanical power into enough energy to last you for hours. I'd probably use one of those instead of a battery-powered one.
fistandantilus4.0
didn't the solar powered flashlight used to be a bad school yard joke?

I thought now a ' days they used something similar to what's in light sticks. Shake the flashlight and ta-da, there's light.
SL James
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Oct 8 2005, 06:08 PM)
What?
Only one bolt hole?

Okay, first off, don't be so predictable. A good operator will tail you for at least three to four weeks to let things settle and you to stop being so spooked.

QUOTE (A Few Good Men)
Kaffee: Did you talk to your friend at the NIS?
Lt. Weinberg: Yeah, he said if Markinson doesn't want to be found, we're not gonna find him. He said I could be Markinson and you wouldn't even know.

Stealth (Alertness) 5 (7) and Counterintelligence Background knowledge skill (6) are your buddies.
Krazy
I have two, and as long as you don't mind dim/unreliable light they are alright, one uses a hand crank to turn a dynamo, and the other uses magnetic induction when you shake it, but there seems to be a problem with the storage battery, it doesn't hold charge, and charging the battery is a little hard to explain to some people. of course by 2050 LIon batteries should be cheap so just having a few sets and a charger should be fine. I'd stick with batterys, besides nothing beats a maglight. (and maglights are good for beating)
hahnsoo
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
didn't the solar powered flashlight used to be a bad school yard joke?

I thought now a ' days they used something similar to what's in light sticks. Shake the flashlight and ta-da, there's light.

I own a combination solar-powered/mechanical-powered/plug-into-wall-socket flashlight. The solar cells are just for recharging the battery when not in use. The mechanical powered part of this flashlight is a small rotating winch that pops out, and gives about 30 minutes of light for 5 minutes of winching (more recent flashlights have much better power ratios, mostly due to advances in LED flashlight technology).
PBTHHHHT
Dang it. I keep reading this thread title and I can't help but think of those Capital One commercials... 'What's in your wallet?'

Funny thing is I live in a complex that's within spitting distance of the Capital One headquarters. I keep kidding to my roommate that we should do a 'run' on the place. lol.
Trax
Dressed as vikings of course
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
Dang it. I keep reading this thread title and I can't help but think of those Capital One commercials... 'What's in your wallet?'

Funny thing is I live in a complex that's within spitting distance of the Capital One headquarters. I keep kidding to my roommate that we should do a 'run' on the place. lol.

I keep reading the title and keep asking myself "What's *up* the bolthole of some posters here?" lol grinbig.gif present company excepted of course.
Sicarius
QUOTE (SL James)

QUOTE (A Few Good Men)
Lt. Weinberg: Yeah, he said if Markinson doesn't want to be found, we're not gonna find him. He said I could be Markinson and you wouldn't even know.

Are you Markinson??

Note to Self: acquire enough spare cash to stash tens of thousands around the city. Right now all I have in my 'stash is 800 dollars in traveler's checks, and my ID. (unfortunately not fake )
Reaver
Wait, are we talking SR or real life? wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Oct 8 2005, 05:01 AM)
This isn't an RP thread.

people use humor in that manner all the time, giving a tip of the hat to the world we fantasize so much about... no harm no foul.

just curious, are you a mod?

In private life, Leela's more like 2060s Brit Neo Mod, On the concert stage, she's 100% pure Tres Chic European class.

Sorry bout the RP, the original set up post was too good to pass up.
Sicarius
I was mixing the two a little. the thread is for SR.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Trax)
Dressed as vikings of course

I was kinda more partial to the Mongol horde myself...
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman)
QUOTE (Voorhees @ Oct 8 2005, 05:01 AM)
This isn't an RP thread.

people use humor in that manner all the time, giving a tip of the hat to the world we fantasize so much about... no harm no foul.

just curious, are you a mod?

In private life, Leela's more like 2060s Brit Neo Mod, On the concert stage, she's 100% pure Tres Chic European class.

Sorry bout the RP, the original set up post was too good to pass up.

People inject it as humor all the time, and there's nothing wrong with it. <3
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Reaver)
Wait, are we talking SR or real life? wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Real life, of course!

Seriously, I like to play my games with guns with as much verisimilitude as possible (Magic aside in this example). Makes for some real fun games if you know how.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
verisimilitude

Man, I had to hit dictionary.com for that one question.gif
Shockwave_IIc
magical wards to discourage astral examination,
preety certqin that would do just the opposite..
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
magical wards to discourage astral examination,
preety certqin that would do just the opposite..

Yeah, wards would certanly stick out. Potted plants, on the other hand, are perfect for discouraging astral examination. I suspect that shadownurseries are a boming busines, with shadowrunners buying dozens of plants to put in their boltholes and fertilizer and automatic watering systems to keep them alive.
Slump
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)

Don't bother, you wouldn't find anything of value.

Payments are sent to LA, California, Dallas, TX, or Charlotte, NC, so you won't find checks or money orders there.

general corespondence is sent to Salt Lake City, UT, so you won't even pick up much in the way of credit card numbers.

All you'll find in Richmond, Virginia (well, Glen Allen, anyway) is the legal department and a part of the tech department.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Sicarius
LOL.

That's the closest thing i've seen to OOC "shadowtalk".
biggrin.gif

PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Slump @ Oct 12 2005, 04:56 AM)
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT @ Oct 9 2005, 01:56 PM)
Funny thing is I live in a complex that's within spitting distance of the Capital One headquarters.  I keep kidding to my roommate that we should do a 'run' on the place.  lol.

Don't bother, you wouldn't find anything of value.

Payments are sent to LA, California, Dallas, TX, or Charlotte, NC, so you won't find checks or money orders there.

general corespondence is sent to Salt Lake City, UT, so you won't even pick up much in the way of credit card numbers.

All you'll find in Richmond, Virginia (well, Glen Allen, anyway) is the legal department and a part of the tech department.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Nah, don't care about their checks or money orders. C'mon, think of the other data they would have. And I'm talking about their Mclean headquarters in DC, and I know what they do there. Where they have data access to everyone's data and other info. C'mon, information is the paydata, id theft, etc... And yeah, I do believe they have access there in Mclean. Sorry to burst your bubble, but take a chill pill since this was a joke in the beginning and you're getting all technical on a joke.

Plus, legal department? Depends, if it's a part that handles litigation and such. It can be worth it to the other side to know what strategies and information the legal team is using. nyahnyah.gif
Fix-it
Plus, legal department? Depends, if it's a part that handles litigation and such. It can be worth it to the other side to know what strategies and information the legal team is using.

and WHO they have lawsuits against. so you can give them an offer. grinbig.gif
imperialus
Runner Paul
A towel.
A towel is about the most massively useful thing a shadowrunner can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold glaiciers of the Athabaskan Council Tribal Lands; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Caribbean League, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert sands of the Pueblo Corporate Council; use it to sail a miniraft down the Orinoco River when trying to infiltrate the Proteus Arcoblock; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off Neuro-stun VIII or avoid the gaze of the Greater Western Dragon Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid paracritter, as far as dragons go, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough. More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a wageslave discovers that a runner has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a pocket secretary, credstick, APDS ammo, Panther Assault Cannon, ally spirit, GPS reciver, Fairlight Excalibur, ball of monowire, dikoted Ares Viper Slivergun, acid-resistant armored longcoat, Steel Lynx drone etc., etc. Furthermore, the wageslave will then happily lend the shadowrunner any of these or a dozen other items that the runner might accidentally have "lost". What the wageslave will think is that any man who can run the length and breadth of the shadows, go SINless, get screwed by their Mr. Johnson, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Lindt
A wonderfull adaption if I have ever read one.
PBTHHHHT
I remember once writing something like it was an informercial trying to sell a stick, string, and a rock on some fantasy rpg board. It was funny, I started with just the stick and then I kept adding in, 'wait, there's more.'
Krazy
you'd also need some pre-cut, water proof, highly absorbant, easly knotable, inexpencive, sterile, stringettes, which is great for any number of emergancies which may befall a shodowrunner.
SL James
QUOTE (Sicarius @ Oct 11 2005, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (SL James @ Oct 8 2005, 11:29 PM)

QUOTE (A Few Good Men)

Are you Markinson??

No, but one of my PCs could be.

BTW, those were chargen stats.
Shemhazai
PBTHHHHT said:

I live in a complex that's within spitting distance of the Capital One headquarters.

The main one in Henrico County? I live near there. I am looking for people to play 4E. Some have said they would do it if I could find a few people.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Shemhazai)
PBTHHHHT said:

I live in a complex that's within spitting distance of the Capital One headquarters.

The main one in Henrico County? I live near there. I am looking for people to play 4E. Some have said they would do it if I could find a few people.

Henrico County? No, I live right by the corporate headquarters in Mclean, VA.
eidolon
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
Bolt Hole
... But it should be moved after it has been used or once every six months. No exceptions. ...

Keep it looking lived in, visit it at least once a week, ...

Agree 100% on the first part. But that second part there? Not so much. It's not very "safe" if fifty people see me there every other week.

And you have to remember, a bolt hole is only there for psychological reasons. It makes you feel safe. Because if somebody really, really wants to find you? You aren't going to stop them. cool.gif
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious @ Oct 8 2005, 07:08 PM)
Bolt Hole
... But it should be moved after it has been used or once every six months. No exceptions. ...

Agree 100% on the first part. But that second part there? Not so much. It's not very "safe" if fifty people see me there every other week.

And you have to remember, a bolt hole is only there for psychological reasons. It makes you feel safe. Because if somebody really, really wants to find you? You aren't going to stop them. cool.gif

fwiw I agree
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (eidolon)
Bolt Hole

Or... you could have one series of bolt holes that you do visit several times that are to throw off anybody who manages to dig up info about your previous movements. The second series of boltholes that you don't visit so you can safely go to at least for one night before running off again.

I guess the safest is being in the magically warded citadal in the deepest darkest cavern in some mountain range and surrounded by your loyal battalion of ninja drop bears... nyahnyah.gif
Oracle
Hmm, some kind of "Bear-Kaer". Not a bad idea! biggrin.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Oracle @ Oct 19 2005, 07:02 AM)
Hmm, some kind of "Bear-Kaer". Not a bad idea! biggrin.gif

Aye, but the defending ninja drop bears would be a special division separate from the rest of my drop bear operatives that are out in the world bringing about drop bear supremacy. Each member of the special ninja drop bear battalion set forth to defend my kaer will have be uniquely colored and named so that no outsider could easily substitute their creation within my unit without the others knowing and each will have a special nickname. The battalion would have special unit designation known as the 'Kaer Bears'... silly.gif
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (eidolon)
Bolt Hole

If the bloody place doesn't have activity, it will be noticed. No activity is something strange, an outside of the norm something that can be used by a good operator. The best Special Forces men aren't big musclebound motherf**kers who can run for two days straight and bench press a Mini. The best special Operative is a grey man, he is not anything unusual, hard to pick out of a lineup and very highly trained to appear as background noise, even when he is the main attraction. You want the same thing in your hideouts. Normal=good. Never seen it used even though it is fully furnished and equipped=bad.
Earthwalker
While true an empty bolt hole is odd and may attract attention, I would think that a simple story to cover why you are hardly there would work as well as spending lots of time there and those giving out the location of your bolt hole.

I mean if you work overseas alot and so only use the place for half the year and people in the area know that, then no problem when you get back.

And what with 2070 living, who knows there neighbours anyway ? Unless you get the one apartment block that the prairie dog shaman moves into your shinny.

Of course once you have used the bolt hole you can never go back. And after 6 months make it your normal home for 6months and get another bolt hole.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (eidolon)

Best you can hope to do is try and get your pursuers to lose interest in the pursuit.

Like, for example, framing up the rest of your shadow team, then arranging for your pursuers to find their bodies!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 19 2005, 04:18 AM)
And you have to remember, a bolt hole is only there for psychological reasons.  It makes you feel safe.  Because if somebody really, really wants to find you?  You aren't going to stop them.  cool.gif

Best you can hope to do is try and get your pursuers to lose interest in the pursuit.

Like, for example, framing up the rest of your shadow team, then arranging for your pursuers to find their bodies!

biggrin.gif

Yeah, however in SR4 your noteriety will climb pretty fast and before long there's a lineup of people who want you dead. In Shadowrun, I think that is a bad thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012