Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The OICW Rises Again!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
For jump enhancement, nothing takes you higher than a flamethrower.

~J
Raygun
QUOTE (Siege)
As it was described to me, the barrel and firing mechanism is housed in the frame at a slight angle from horizontal in the M-16, by just a few degrees, so shooters have to aim a little lower than they otherwise might.

A) Having built three of them (AR15s) thus far using the USMC M16A2 Technical Manual as a reference, as well as having read most of the relevant patents and not recalling such a fairly useless feature, I'm going to have to call bullshit on that one.

B) It would be pointless and unnecessarily complicated, as the sights themeselves handle adjustment of the angle of the bore in relation to the sight plane. The front post of every version of the M16 is elevation adjustable. On the M16A2 and later, the rear sight is elevation adjustable as well, which can actually be done on the fly. In short, it makes no sense to angle the barrel within the receiver as the sights handle that function and are adjustable as necessary.

Just eyeballing it, you can tell the thing is as straight as a friggin' arrow. But for shits and giggles, I decided to get the dial calipers and see if there was any difference between the height of the bore axis at the chamber and at the back end of the receiver on my AR15. Looks to be about 1.2" from the top rail at both points, and about 1.275" from the bottom of the upper receiver crosspin lugs at both points, using a bore brush and rod as a guide. Not really the most accurate way of taking measurements, but I think it's fairly safe to say that there's no angle to the receiver in relation to the bore axis.

Which is why new recruits experienced with shooting hunting rifles and similarly "straight barrels" don't do as well when first exposed to the M-16.

I think the lack of a scope as well as a relatively awful, creepy trigger pull that usually breaks somewhere between 9 and 13 pounds would be far more likely to cause those problems. Other than that, I don't think that on average anyone who has had experience with any rifle is going to do worse qualifying with an M16 than another who has never touched a rifle before in their life.

It's very possible I'm explaining this badly, but the new AIT grad was very specific about the angle and resulting consequence. The subject came up when discussing new recruits, shooting ability and prior shooting experience.

I just hope this isn't the same person who told you that you can't shoot personnel with .50 cals.

QUOTE (spotlite)
OK, I don't know whether or not the reason for the switch to 5.56 was due to an actual PLAN to put more soldiers out of the fight by making them take care of wounded.

It wasn't. The main reason for switching to 5.56mm (at least for the US, where it originated) was to increase hit probability by allowing more controllable automatic fire. Basically us just figuring out what the Germans already had about 20 years earlier. Here.

I just know that all the squaddies I've met who were around when the brits switched to 5.56 in that crappy SA80 we use hated it.

I think the fact that the SA80 was an unreliable piece of shit (at least prior to the A2 rebuild) would have had a lot to do with that as well, not just the fact that it fired a smaller bullet. Er, what mmu1 said.

RP actually has a good point. I wonder why they didn't go through with it? Hmmmm....

I can't tell you exactly why DOD didn't allow the Army to go through with initial fielding by 09/05 like they had planned, but here are some decent points that might have lead to DOD reallocating the $25.9m that Congress gave the Army for 7,000 XM8s:
  • In continuing development, the XM8 was getting heavier and heavier, making the margin between it and the M4 smaller by the day, eventually coming to the point that the 12.5" XM8 actually weighs half a pound more than an M4 with comparable accessories.
  • The "baseline carbine" intended to replace the M4 utilized a 12.5" barrel, two inches shorter than the M4's. This is good as far as size is concerned, but it also reduces muzzle velocity of current stock ammunition (M193, M855) by a significant amount, which in turn reduces the range at which enhanced lethality due to bullet fragmentation is allowed to occur
  • Being an ofshoot of the OICW program, there was no actual competition to find out whose weapon system was best; it was simply M16A2/M4 vs. XM8 (hence the solicitation for a "5.56mm Modular Weapon System Family" last year, which got held up when it became a joint Army/Marines project, then apparently folded into OICW-1, a revised OICW outline)
  • Colt, being firmly entrenched in the military machine and as such having some institutional and political bias, bitched up a storm.
Siege
Heh.

No, the "you can't shoot someone with a .50 cal" was a word of mouth by an MP years ago.

As for the rest - it's possible he was mistaken, but considering how anal the young man can be about things, you'll forgive me if I don't make up my mind either way.

I will, however, adjust the retelling of the second story as, "a new grunt once told me..."

-Siege
Fix-it

October: Springfield constructs a prototype triple-barreled SALVO rifle in .22 caliber. (The parent cartridge case is unknown.)

I need pics of this and the double barreled one, stat.

That sounds like the Platapus of firearms right there.

EDIT google-fu brings up more wierdness.
A new study, Project SALVO, was set up to try to find a weapon design suited to real-world combat. Running between 1953 and 1957 in two phases, SALVO eventually suggested that a weapon firing four rounds into a 20 in (0.5 m) area would have double the hit probability of existing semi-automatic weapons.

In the second phase, SALVO II, several experimental weapons concepts were tested. Irwin Barr of AAI introduced a series of flechette weapons, starting with a shotgun shell containing 32 darts and ending with single-round flechette "rifles". Winchester and Springfield offer multi-barrel weapons, while ORO's own design used two .22, .25 or .27 bullets loaded into a single .308 or .30-06 cartridge.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot, over...
Eddie Furious
Why the HK XM8? The ease of cleaning, the MRBS of about 23,000 and the ease of breakdown, maintenance and role swap all seem pretty good to me. Also, they recommend that you clean it once every "5000 rounds". I am not talking out my ass. The G36 (which the XM8 is, just in different clothes) gets kudos from a Marine Infantry Officer who went into Intel.

The SA80 sucked bad, the only thing to come of the whole bloody project that was liked was the SUSAT, which was a fair decent bit of kit. The SLRs were missed, but hey, you can only use a blunderbuss '69 for so many rounds, neh? As it is I have heard rumours that the British Army is currently trying G36 & G36K on for size.

The HK416 upper is basically very much like the M16 upper, but it runs the gas backwards, easing maintenance and improving reliability(oversimplified). Don't get me wrong, I have used the M16/C7 M4/C8 weapons and did not mind them as much as the SA80 (the M4/C8 had a much higher MRBS than the SA80). But if I had the choice between a weapon like the G36K or the M4, I'd be gettin' me a sweet German ride.

The only thing I can see that shot down the XM8 program was politics. More constituencies had a hand in the M16 pie than there were in the XM8 pie, from what I can tell. The men who used the XM8 seemed to have loved the weapon due to its reliability, versatility and considerable weight savings over a similarly tricked out M16/M4. Yes, I'm big on weight, when you have to carry your shite into battle, you want it to do two things, the third is a bonus...

1). Work.

2). Be light(er).

3). Look cool.

Regarding the 6.8mm SPC. The last I heard they were still looking at the 6.5 Grendel as well, but that was in June.
Siege
Just for the record, I had to read the "Whisky Foxtrot" comment out loud before I started wondering, "what the frag is he...ooooh..." grinbig.gif

-Siege
Krazy
Armalite should just sell the CAR-15/m4/C8 design back to diemco for another round of R/D like they did with the 16A1, should work. and I blame my high school for my ignorance. we spent an entire year on ww2 Geneva and the UN, and all I got out of it was, well, I've just been corrected a lot. thanks for the education

on a side note, the bigest concern Ive heard about the 5.56 from soldiers, hunters and gun writers is that the energy delivered does not stop a person with one hit. in urban war one hit stops are a matter of life and death when the opponent does not care for their own safty. I've heard of many banellis and mosbergs sent over seas due to the fact that at spiting distance, nothin beats 00 buck. of course the entire 5 vs 7 argument is pointless, because you'll never make anyone happy.
How do you call a time out if the other guy breaks a rule of war?
Siege
In close quarters, what kind of round could be used to guarantee a drop?

Well, besides the overwhelming oomph of a shotgun.

Essentially, you'd be talking subsonic ammo, along the lines of a .40 or .45 which would absolutely suck at range - so it's a 50/50 proposition.

Some issues I just don't see being fixed in the near future.

-Siege
Krazy
I think the point was theoreticly bigger is better.
I heard from a guy who was there that during th middle of WW2 when the swedes were worried about german invasion some of the costal defence units ground the tips off their FMJ 6.5x55 ammo in case they needed to actually hurt something. wonder if that is happening anywhere else?
Siege
I'd have to wait for an expert, but which is likely to transmit the greater force?

A subsonic round tumbling, or a supersonic round punching through?

-Siege
Arethusa
What, exactly, do you mean by force?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 13 2005, 12:34 AM)
What, exactly, do you mean by force?

Mass*acceleration? It is the definition of force.
Arethusa
And yet very often not what people mean when terminal ballistics come up.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, there is a point at which you can have too much force. If you shoot someone with a BB from a railgun, to use an exaggerated example, it'll blast clear through him, and the guy behind him, and the concrete wall behind him, and possibly the tank behind it.

But unless you get a heart, spine, or other critical spot injury, you're not going to kill someone. If you shoot him with a BB, he may not even feel it bad enough to stop fighting, even for a split second.

That's why .45 ACP from the Tommy Gun, M1911, and Greasegun were so popular. Sure, had range for crap, but if you hit someone, that slug would flatten down, and by gum he would drop. It's a killing blow.

That's the problem with FMJ ammo. Great punch, but unless you're using a large enough round, it probably won't score a kill on the first shot. 7.62 has great killing power, but it's accuracy and punch-through is not good. To re-iterate; you want less punch-through, more "flatten out inside someone and leave a big hurting hole in him."

Now, this changes if your enemy has body armor. If you shoot someone wearing a vest with that .45 ACP, he won't take ANY damage. If you nail him with that 5.56 FMJ, he'll take some damage, which is better than none. Of course, if you catch him with a 7.62, it's even better.
Arethusa
God, please, just stop! Stop! Aughh.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Oct 13 2005, 01:07 AM)
But unless you get a heart, spine, or other critical spot injury, you're not going to kill someone. If you shoot him with a BB, he may not even feel it bad enough to stop fighting, even for a split second.

That's why .45 ACP from the Tommy Gun, M1911, and Greasegun were so popular. Sure, had range for crap, but if you hit someone, that slug would flatten down, and by gum he would drop. It's a killing blow.

That's the problem with FMJ ammo. Great punch, but unless you're using a large enough round, it probably won't score a kill on the first shot. 7.62 has great killing power, but it's accuracy and punch-through is not good. To re-iterate; you want less punch-through, more "flatten out inside someone and leave a big hurting hole in him."

Now, this changes if your enemy has body armor. If you shoot someone wearing a vest with that .45 ACP, he won't take ANY damage. If you nail him with that 5.56 FMJ, he'll take some damage, which is better than none. Of course, if you catch him with a 7.62, it's even better.

I wouldn't say he's not going to take "ANY" damage. Even in the best body armour, getting shot isn't a picnic.

Really, no matter what round you use, you're not going to be able guarantee a drop unless you put one in his head and scramble his brain (best results from the ocular-cranial strip, extending around the head, depending on the range. A low velocity pistol round from anything more than close range can actually skip off the skull if it hits at an angle. Though this is more common with subsonic loads, it has happened with standard loads too). Other than that, you're going to need a spinal shot. Anything else, depending on the target, isn't going to be 100% no matter what you're using. He may be a big mofo and that bullet may not impress him, or he could be a mal-nurished crackie and the round overpenetrates.
Raygun
QUOTE (Siege @ Oct 13 2005, 12:55 AM)
As for the rest - it's possible he was mistaken, but considering how anal the young man can be about things, you'll forgive me if I don't make up my mind either way.

I will, however, adjust the retelling of the second story as, "a new grunt once told me..."

Probably a wise thing to do. I myself will be going with "full of shit". wink.gif

QUOTE (Eddie Furious)
The SA80 sucked bad, the only thing to come of the whole bloody project that was liked was the SUSAT, which was a fair decent bit of kit. The SLRs were missed, but hey, you can only use a blunderbuss '69 for so many rounds, neh? As it is I have heard rumours that the British Army is currently trying G36 & G36K on for size.

Very doubtful. They just spent £93m five years ago on the SA80A2 rebuild, prior to which the argument was to ditch the SA80 and buy the G36 (as BAE owned HK at the time). It's going to be a good long while before MOD decides to shift gears as far as rifles are concerned.

But if I had the choice between a weapon like the G36K or the M4, I'd be gettin' me a sweet German ride.

I would have to agree.

The only thing I can see that shot down the XM8 program was politics.

I would not disagree that politics had something to do with it. When it comes to things like this, they always do. But politics are far from the only reason why the HK XM8 hasn't been adopted.

Check this out. At "Milestone C", the HK XM8 simply did not offer enough advantages over the M4 to justify the cost of its acquisition and replacement of literally tens of thousands of M4 carbines that had been ordered since 2001 (Hell, it seems that DOD thought it wasn't worth buying 7,000 of them). The spreadsheet does not include reliability data, as the person who created it had no access to that data. Suffice it to say, the XM8 should offer a real advantage as far as that is concerned (as opposed to promises delivered by marketing hype).

Yes, I'm big on weight, when you have to carry your shite into battle, you want it to do two things, the third is a bonus...

1). Work.

The M16/M4 work, so long as you maintain them the way you're supposed to. Having a 14.5" barrel, the M4 actually produces better terminal ballistics over longer range than the 12.5" XM8.

2). Be light(er).

Again, the 12.5" HK XM8 is actually half a pound heavier than an M4 with comparable accessories.

As much as I would rather have a piston-operated rifle in service, unless we decide to go with a new cartridge, there's really very little point in moving away from the M16/M4 platform so long as soldiers continue to be trained well on their maintenance.

Regarding the 6.8mm SPC. The last I heard they were still looking at the 6.5 Grendel as well, but that was in June.

Again, as far as I can tell, neither 6.8mm SPC or the 6.5mm Grendel were ever seriously being considered by anyone but certain elements of SOCOM. The Army was never interested as their major projects (XM29 > XM8) were both firmly rooted in 5.56x45mm platforms. I don't recall hearing of the Marines ever looking into it. There was, however, an awful lot of hype going on in the gun press for a while and now it's just a lot of wishful thinking.

QUOTE (Krazy)
Armalite should just sell the CAR-15/m4/C8 design back to diemco for another round of R/D like they did with the 16A1, should work.

Diemaco doesn't have to buy anything from anyone for anything related to the AR15 design. Armalite sold the AR15 patents to Colt's in 1959, so they're really not in the picture anymore (other than the Armalite name was bought by Mark Westrom in the mid 1990's and his company makes AR15s now). The M16A1 was adopted by the US Army in 1967. The Canadian government bought a manufacturing license from Colt in the early 1980's and contracted Diemaco to manufacture the rifles (~15 years after the M16A1 had entered US service). Finally, Colt Defense bought Diemaco from Héroux-Devtek as of 05/20/05. Diemaco is now Colt Canada Corporation.

on a side note, the bigest concern Ive heard about the 5.56 from soldiers, hunters and gun writers is that the energy delivered does not stop a person with one hit.

No bullet from any cartridge can be depended on to produce immediate incapacitation with one hit. A 5.56mm bullet to the central nervous system is going to be just as effective as a 7.62mm bullet, and that's the only kind of hit that is likely bring a human being down instantly. But almost certainly, the more bullet there is to affect things, the more things it's likely to affect, assuming a hit.

And ShadowDragon8685, I don't mean to be rude, but please try to talk less and listen more. At this point you know just enough about the subject to be wrong consistently.
Raygun
QUOTE (Siege)
I'd have to wait for an expert, but which is likely to transmit the greater force?

A subsonic round tumbling, or a supersonic round punching through?

-Siege

Too many variables to consider to give you any kind of worthwhile answer, Siege.

What do you mean by force (mathmatically, that's pretty easy to figure out, but I gather you don't mean the mathmatical definition of force)? How slow is subsonic? How fast is supersonic? How heavy are the bullets? What are they made of? How far away is the target? etc...
Crusher Bob
Well, speaking generally about bullet wounds:

To have a high chance of producing 'eventually fatal wounds', a bullet has to penetrate on the order of 8 to 16 inches of 'flesh' before it has a chance to hit the major arteries, important organ bits, etc of the thoratic cavity.

After penetration depth, the permanent wound cavity that the bullet leaves behind is also important. A larger wound cavity will produce more tissue disruption, tending to produce greater blood loss, shock, etc. In addition, a larger permanent would cavity means a greater chance of damaging something important.

Next, there is the temporary wound cavity. This is essentially caused by the 'shock wave' caused by the bullet as it hits the (relatively fluid) body. In general, only supersonic bullets produce any appreciable temporary wound cavity (that is larger than the permanent wound cavity). However, the human body is generally quite resistant to the 'stretching effect' caused by the temporary wound cavity. Notable exceptions: the liver, the aorta, the brain, the bladder, and the large intestine.

The liver is generally non-elastic, so liver tissue that is distorted by the temporary wound cavity is usually destroyed. The brain can not usually stand up to temporary wound cavities either. The aorta may be damages by the TWC, but it is generally robust enough to ignore these effects, provided it was not already damaged. The large intestine and the bladder, provided they are full of water, can both be severely damaged by the TWC, as the sudden changes in fluid pressure are not good for them. Of course, many people in combat situations, erm, empty the bladder, which returns it to being part of the body that can generally ignore the effects of the TWC.
Short version: the TWC is not a major contributor the wounding effects of a bullet.

So in general, 'heavy pistol' bullets as 'close range' are excellent, in that they have sufficient energy to achieve the required depth of penetration and their relatively large diameter produces a large permanent wound cavity. However, as the range increases, pistol bullets relatively quickly lose their ability to penetrate the requisite distance into the human body, thus greatly reducing their effective wounding potential.

For most 'combat pistols', their performance is good to 20-30? meters, with 'adequate performance up to around 60? meters.

The same bullets fired from the longer barrel of a sub-machinegun (thus, having greater velocity) remain excellent wounders up to 40? meters? with adequate performance up to 90? meters.

Rifles bullets, with their much higher velocities, are able to penetrate much deeper into the body (or pass completely through it) however, the additional effect of 'even more penetration' is somewhat low. In addition, rifle rounds have generally lower diameter of rifle bullets when compared to pistol. This means that rifles tend to produce smaller permanent wound cavities (I’ll address bullet tumbling, fragmentation, etc in a bit) than pistol bullets. On the other hand, rifle bullets, with their much higher velocities, are able to maintain their ability to penetrate the required distance out to much greater distances.

Taking a look at the 5.56mm bullet, it will maintain good penetration for 350+ meters, a far cry from the much sharper drop offs of the pistol bullets.

However, as ‘short’ ranges, a rifle will tend to produce ‘equivalent’ wounds to that of a combat pistol cartridge, as the pistol bullet is still sufficiently energetic to penetrate deep into the body. (Ignoring bullet tumbling and fragmentation, anyway. Of course rifle bullets tend to do one or both at short range.)

Expanding bullets:
Since permanent wound cavity is an important factor in wounding, it is much better to have the bullet expand, as long at the bullet is still able to penetrate the required distance into the body.

Bullet fragmentation:
In general, the massive deceleration of a bullet when it hits the body can cause it to burst into several fragments (this is almost exclusively the province of high speed rifle bullets, pistols do not develop sufficient velocities).

Bullet tumble:
Speaking simply, the ideal aerodynamic shape for supersonic flight is a ‘pointy nose’ with a ‘rounded tail’. The ideal aerodynamic shape for subsonic flight is a ‘rounded nose’ with a ‘pointed tail’. (Compare shapes of supersonic to subsonic aircraft.) As bullets are typically ‘pointy nosed’ (especially rifle rounds), supersonic bullets will tend to tumble so that they are traveling ‘big end first’ once they have been slowed by the body sufficiently. This will tend to increase the PWC.

Armor and intervening ‘stuff’:
Note that you are usually not shooting at naked people, who are standing out in the open. Your bullet may have to pass though things like body armor, walls, automobile parts, plant matter, etc. In general, rifles have a large advantage over pistols here, as a rifle round may still be energetic enough to penetrate deep into the body after passing though intervening material.

There, how’s that?
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Rifles bullets, with their much higher velocities, are able to penetrate much deeper into the body (or pass completely through it) however, the additional effect of 'even more penetration' is somewhat low.

Keeping in mind that, ceteris paribus, slow and heavy will penetrate deeper than fast and light. For example, a .45 ACP FMJ-RN can out-penetrate a 7.62x51mm FMJ (note: the .45 ACP FMJ-RN in that illustration is indeed subsonic). The 9x19mm M882 FMJ can penetrate even deeper even though it tends to tumble. The faster a bullet penetrates through the tissue, the more energy it sheds per distance penetrated -- which does not necessarily mean a larger wound cavity, permanent or termporary.
Lindt
QUOTE (Siege)
Just for the record, I had to read the "Whisky Foxtrot" comment out loud before I started wondering, "what the frag is he...ooooh..." grinbig.gif

-Siege

So did I.

Having never fired anything bigger then a .308 winchester(which was plenty mind you), I have nothing constructive to add. Other then the XM8 is a pretty sharp looking weapon.

And people wonder why I say that RPGs told me half of what I know about firearms...
Siege
QUOTE (Arethusa)
God, please, just stop! Stop! Aughh.

Sorry, I'll stop. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Fortune
I don't think Arethusa was referring to you, Siege. nyahnyah.gif
ShadowDragon8685
So why not just use a 12 gauge slug for your short-distance combat needs? If he's wearing a vest, yes, he probably will survive (though it might take him a bit to figure out whiskey tango foxtrot just happened,) but the current world is not Shadowrun's world, where children's clothes are made out of ballistic weave.
Siege
Because underslinging a shotgun is heavy, awkward and cumbersome?

Or so I would imagine.

Not to mention, reloading would be a pain and carrying the extra ammo to support the shotgun adds kit to account for.

In the grand scheme of things, I think the cost/benefit ratio is more heavily weighted the other way, except for special applications like lock busters.

-Siege
Fix-it
QUOTE (Siege)
Because underslinging a shotgun is heavy, awkward and cumbersome?

Or so I would imagine.

Not to mention, reloading would be a pain and carrying the extra ammo to support the shotgun adds kit to account for.

no more than an M203, in fact less, because of ammunition & probably launcher weight.

the Masterkey system is a good example, and this is it's replacement.
Siege
The M203 is not a frequent use weapon, compared to a CQB weapon system.

An underslung shotgun for the express purpose of CQB would be expected to be used quickly and often, both requirements would be impeded by the factors I mentioned before.

-Siege

Edit: And I have to wonder about potential recoil, as well as the feasibility of keeping a hand on or near the trigger in order to best utilize the weapon on extremely short notice.

However, the XM-26 does look pretty sweet as a room-clearing weapon.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Siege)
as well as the feasibility of keeping a hand on or near the trigger in order to best utilize the weapon on extremely short notice.

Of course, that'd be less of an issue with Shadowrun-era firearms, with electronic triggers and smartlinked weapons, but it is important to keep in mind with discussions of contemporary firearms.
Arethusa
Considering Shadowrun never, ever dealt with the real ramifications of that electronic trigger bullshit, you're better off just ignoring it.
Eddie Furious
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (Eddie Furious)

Very doubtful. They just spent £93m three years ago on the SA80A2 rebuild, prior to which the argument was to ditch the SA80 and buy the G36 (as BAE owned HK at the time). It's going to be a good long while before MOD decides to shift gears as far as rifles are concerned.

I have a mate who has intimated that he was issued an HK G36K for deployment. I have also seen a few videos (one of which is funny, the other Protected) in which squaddies were lugging around G36Ks. Whether they were for specific purposes I know not.
hobgoblin
hmm, i have a feel that if underslung weapons become more common, one should look into electric, or atleast semielectric triggering.

ie, still use a mechanial hammer, but the hammer is released by a electric charge. you dont even need a battery. just hook a dynamo or something to the trigger so that when pressed it will generate the power needed.

this way you can use one trigger for both the underslung weapon and the gun itself. just need a connector (best buildt into the attachment of the underslung weapon so that you both attach and connect at the same time) and a new trigger selector on the gun itself.

then the question becomes, how reliable can this be compared to the existing purely mechanical one...
Raygun
QUOTE (eddie Furious)
I have a mate who has intimated that he was issued an HK G36K for deployment. I have also seen a few videos (one of which is funny, the other Protected) in which squaddies were lugging around G36Ks. Whether they were for specific purposes I know not.

I'm pretty sure that a relatively small number of G36s were purchased by MOD prior to the decision to rebuild the SA80. It wouldn't suprise me if those rifles were still being deployed by certain units. As far the entire British Army going to the G36, no. Not happening any time soon.
Fix-it
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, i have a feel that if underslung weapons become more common, one should look into electric, or atleast semielectric triggering.

ie, still use a mechanial hammer, but the hammer is released by a electric charge. you dont even need a battery. just hook a dynamo or something to the trigger so that when pressed it will generate the power needed.

this way you can use one trigger for both the underslung weapon and the gun itself. just need a connector (best buildt into the attachment of the underslung weapon so that you both attach and connect at the same time) and a new trigger selector on the gun itself.

then the question becomes, how reliable can this be compared to the existing purely mechanical one...

Not very.

Electrical systems as a rule of thumb are pretty delicate compared to mechanical ones. I wouldn't be suprised if the failure rate was pretty high after vibration/shock shook it appart.

It would also be expensive as hell, as you'd most likely need military or aerospace grade components.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Considering Shadowrun never, ever dealt with the real ramifications of that electronic trigger bullshit, you're better off just ignoring it.

Just out of curiosity, would I also be better off ignoring other smartlink features such as "eject clip" and "toggle safety" that would also require some form of electronic signal triggering a mechanical action on the weapon?
Krazy
there has been at least one reported and documented case of a police officer taking a hit from a shotgun ar close range, if IIRC the shot was from a 12 guage under 10 yards, was a standard 2 3/4 full sized lead slug, she was wearing a class 3 or possibly 3a vest, without trama plates. she was hit square in the sternum, went down, but was able to get up and re-enter combat seconds after. so using a shotgun is still no garantee, unless you can expect little to no armor on your opponents. (current iraq conflict)
as far as electronic firing of cartriges, remington has such a beast on the market, and it has been tested to be reliable under all conditions. (and if you are going to ask about being struck by lightning.....) the systen involves two electrodes that touch contacts on the primer, which has the same dimentions as a large boxer type rifle primer. other sizes are suposedly in the works in case the idea takes off. personaly I like the idea, mechanical stuff is just too unreliable (one uninteded discharge is enough for me) and by 2050 could be the most likly method of firearm discharge, which makes the smartlink at least a little plausable.
Raygun
QUOTE (RunnerPaul @ Oct 14 2005, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Oct 13 2005, 07:27 PM)

Just out of curiosity, would I also be better off ignoring other smartlink features such as "eject clip" and "toggle safety" that would also require some form of electronic signal triggering a mechanical action on the weapon?

Yeah, I think Arethusa's patience has been worn a little too thin in this thread. (Breathe, brother, breathe! smile.gif)

If we assume that it's possible to wire a firearm targeting system through a person's arms and into their skull, it's only a logical to assume that bypassing the physical trigger would be part of the plan. The less movement made against the gun the better, especially in terms of long range shooting.

Of course, figuring out how something like a mental "fire" command would work and be safe in practical terms tend to boggle the mind a bit. But again, so long as we're assuming the targeting part of the Smartlink works, we might as well assume that a cybernetic trigger does too.

Another option would be to make a physical trigger remote (as in not part of the barrel and action), perhaps wireless. That way it's still a physical trigger, but its movement doesn't affect the rest of the weapon. This could be done fairly easily in conjunction with electronic priming. No mechanical interface necessary. Might open a few garage doors, too. smile.gif

QUOTE (Fix-It)
Electrical systems as a rule of thumb are pretty delicate compared to mechanical ones. I wouldn't be suprised if the failure rate was pretty high after vibration/shock shook it appart.

It would also be expensive as hell, as you'd most likely need military or aerospace grade components.

Like Krazy said, Remington has had an electronically-fired rifle on the market for several years at this point. You don't hear much about it as it does cost considerably more than a similar conventionally primed rifle (by a factor of nearly 2.3 at present), but considering the level of cybernetic intergation in the world of Shadowrun and how this kind of priming makes it much easier to interface with the firearm, it could be argued that the cost of such a system would be driven down considerably. Honestly, I'm not sure why it costs as much as it does now.

I believe I read somewhere that the 20mm portion of the XM29 used a similar system, but I can't find it now.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Raygun)
Of course, figuring out how something like a mental "fire" command would work and be safe in practical terms tend to boggle the mind a bit.

No more so than having the act of pulling a trigger both work and be safe in practical terms. That is, of course, assuming we aren't talking about performing surgery and immediately picking up a gun and yelling "FIRE" at it with your brain.

~J
Raygun
Yeah. I guess my point was that it would be a bit more difficult than it seems on the surface, but most users aren't going to be concerned with the lockwork anyway. In general, I can't think of a reason why a cybernetic trigger wouldn't work.
Kagetenshi
Yep. Certainly nothing we could do, say, today, but trivial in comparison to all of the other things SR allows cybernetically.

Although it's a side of the game that really doesn't add much to play, it would be interesting to come up with guidelines for how long it takes for one to "train" oneself in the use of cybernetic equipment. I mean, after using it long enough it should be pretty similar to, say, physically pulling a trigger, but how long is "long enough"?

~J
ShadowDragon8685
I dunno. I recon it'd be a few hours down at the range, generally about the same amount of time as it takes to pull the trigger on a gun manually.
Kagetenshi
Generally you aren't trying to learn how to move your finger when you're down at the range.

I mean, certainly once you hit that point once place it ought to be like that for other things—if I can operate the Matrix in pure DNI, learning how to fire a gun should take a few minutes tops. It's the first-learning that's the interesting question.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Bet not to worry about it, eh?
Kagetenshi
Oh, definitely. It's like the surgery rules—realistic, but doesn't really add anything enjoyment-wise. Still interesting to think about, IMO.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
Well, if you really want to know, I'd guess that learning to do it yourself would be like going through physical therapy.

That said, this is the 2060s. I imagine they imprint the knowledge of how to use your new cyber when you get it.
Fortune
I've always envisioned some type of simsense orientation method that helps a person become familiar with their newly-implanted tech.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012