Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with hacking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Rotbart van Dainig
You can remote control any acessible Device with Response using the Command Program, regardless of the presence of a Pilot.

You can install Pilot on any Device with Response, allowing you to issue orders to it.

So, basically, there is no connection between a Rigger Adaption and a Pilot.

Rigger adaptions are only good for one thing: to become a vehicle.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
You can remote control any acessible Device with Response using the Command Program, regardless of the presence of a Pilot.

You can install Pilot on any Device with Response, allowing you to issue orders to it.

So, basically, there is no connection between a Rigger Adaption and a Pilot.

Still not getting the "errata" part?

Rigger adaptions are only good for one thing: to become a vehicle.

You mean to fully operate as a vehicle drone? As in you can have the Pilot software on a standard (no Rigger Adaptation) vehicle, and it can do things like look around with the vehicles sensors, or even fire a Smartgun weapon you mount (assuming you install the appropriate Autosoft). But the Pilot software is unable to steer unless the vehicle unless a Rigger Adaptation is installed?
Jaid
no, i think he means that the rigger adaptation is only to rig the vehicle (ie control it via a control rig), and that you don't need anything else to command it.

at least, i think that's what he's trying to say.
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid @ Oct 14 2005, 10:23 AM)
no, i think he means that the rigger adaptation is only to rig the vehicle (ie control it via a control rig), and that you don't need anything else to command it.

at least, i think that's what he's trying to say.

You can "rig" without a Control Rig.

Maybe it is this page 238 entry here that has to change:

Th e key diff erence that sets drones apart from ordinary vehicles is the rigger
adaptation that provides drones with a Pilot program, which
enables the drone to act independently of its controller to a limited
degree.

I can see where it appears somewhat inconsistant with vehicles coming with Pilot software. But change it in which way? Just remove that sentence entirely and any vehicle can be remote control driven including steering?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Jaid)
i think he means that the rigger adaptation is only to rig the vehicle (ie control it via a control rig), and that you don't need anything else to command it.

As a side-note, indeed.

Every vehicle in SR can steer itself, understand orders or can be controlled remotely.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 14 2005, 10:33 AM)
As a side-note, indeed.

Every vehicle in SR can steer itself, understand orders or can be controlled remotely.

I had assumed this before, but what confirmation do you have of that?
Rotbart van Dainig
p. 214-215 Pilot Programs

p. 220 Controlling Devices
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 14 2005, 10:33 AM)
As a side-note, indeed.

I had assumed this before, but what confirmation do you have of that?

Well, since it says that having a pilot program is what sets a drone apart from an ordinary vehicle, it is clear that the SR4 book does not actually include any ordinary vehicles for you to buy, and has only drones.

Presumably, there ill be some "dumb" vehicles available for purchase in later books that would require rigger adaption to be used as drones.

-Frank
Rotbart van Dainig
It' nearly drowns in leftover wording but:

Normal vehicles don't come with Rigger Adaption - Drones do.

Rigger Adaption enables the possibility to really rig a vehicle.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
p. 214-215 Pilot Programs

p. 220 Controlling Devices

But it doesn't come straight out and say that all vehicles can by default steer themselves and act as drones. Unfortunately the Drone section (specifically the sentence i quoted, even with it's problem of confusion surrounding where a Pilot can be loaded) on page 238 suggests that to act fully as a drone it must have the Rigger Adaptation.
blakkie
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Oct 14 2005, 10:45 AM)
Rigger Adaption enables the possibility to really rig a vehicle.

But by that to "really" rig is only to use a Control Rig, which isn't [as far as i can tell] actually a requirement for anything, even for "jumping into" the drone. It just provides a +2 die bonus to vehicle actions when jumped in.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (blakkie)
But it doesn't come straight out and say that all vehicles can by default steer themselves and act as drones.

In fact, it does:
It gives them Pilot, so they can operate by themselves afters the rules.
Jaid
drones are also different in that there is no space available for a human to sit.

so we have two differences there...

1) drones have built-in rigger adaptation.
2) drones cannot be operated manually, only rigged or remote controlled.

does that sound about right?
Chandon
In previous editions, having an autopilot in your car was unrelated to it being remotely riggable. One of the big advantages of the Grid Guide system is that you can get your car to drive for you.

It looks like one of the side effects of the wirless matrix + car autopilots is that cars can be remotely controlled by default. One of the big downsides to wireless networking is that it has a tendancy to open up giant security holes everywhere. File this under "why my car insurance keeps going up".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012