Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Book Quality problems
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JesterX
Am I the only one who got problems with the book?

Here is what I got:

First of all, page 158-159 are connected together up to half of the page side.

Also, the Shadowrun logo behind some page numbers (only a few pages) seems to have severe color bleeding. On page 263, 270 and 271, the green ink seems way off the logo (about 4 millimetres in the worst case)

Some of the logos are much darker than others... but that doesn't bother me much.

Anyone else is getting that kind of troubles?

The book was purchased in Montreal, Quebec.
Fortune
QUOTE (JesterX)

Well, that's the problem right there! nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

Seriously though, I have nothing to add.
Nikoli
That happens with books of all shapes and colors. I've had text books, cook books, magazines, comics, etc. all with similair printing issues. Hell i have a copy of a Wheel of Time book where 200 pages are reprinted in the book.
Backgammon
QUOTE (JesterX)

Did you get it at Le Valet d'Coeur? If so I'll assume their stock is "tainted" and not get it there...
JesterX
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (JesterX @ Oct 14 2005, 06:24 AM)

What for? The book was published by Ares? grinbig.gif
JesterX
QUOTE (Backgammon)
QUOTE (JesterX @ Oct 13 2005, 04:24 PM)

Did you get it at Le Valet d'Coeur? If so I'll assume their stock is "tainted" and not get it there...

Nope, I reserved it at Le Valet... But I called them this morning to ask them if they got them yet and the guy on the phone told me : "No, and we won't get it soon because FanPro are delaying it again." then I said: "But I called on other stores this morning and they told me they received them" and the guy replied: "Good for them, If you're not happy, go buy from them".

That's why I purchased it from Le Donjon on Maisonneuve street. I paid 38.99$ (Canadian) + tax for it and I also found a used but near mint condition "New Seattle" for only 8$!!!! ^_^
Rifleman
My book doesn't have any major misprints or anything I would complain over, but I do have the misaligned logo on the same exact pages, plus 223 and 247.

However nothing that would make me return my book or really complain. (5 extreamely minor coloring issues out of 352 pages.)
JesterX
The thing that bother me the most is how to separate those two pages without ruining my book. Anyone got an idea?
blakkie
QUOTE (JesterX @ Oct 13 2005, 03:12 PM)
The thing that bother me the most is how to separate those two pages without ruining my book.  Anyone got an idea?

From you description, and i think it is what i've occationally seen before, it sounds like a job for a very sharp Exacto knife or a hobbish razor knife.

Is there a nice sharp fold where the one page should end and the other should begin? If so then use the knife like a letter openner. At their sharpest and used carefully it should take a lot less pressure for it to cut the paper at the fold than would to rip the paper. The blade edge should be about 45 degrees to the edges of the pages, but someone with more literal cut-paste editing experience could give you a better idea there.
Gothic Rose
Exacto Knife. Run it alone the page edge lightly, with the blade flat against the paper. It'll slit the pages apart like a hot knife through a dandelion eaters belly. Only you won't have the messy part wher the elf's guts spill out onto your brand new combat boots.
Gothic Rose
Scooped! Daaaaaaaaamn yoooooou!
blakkie
QUOTE (Gothic Rose @ Oct 13 2005, 03:33 PM)
Scooped!  Daaaaaaaaamn yoooooou!

FWIW you gave a better description of how to do it.....and it involved the evisceration of an of elf. That is a HUGE number of bonus points. wink.gif
ThatSzechuan
QUOTE (Nikoli)
That happens with books of all shapes and colors. I've had text books, cook books, magazines, comics, etc. all with similair printing issues. Hell i have a copy of a Wheel of Time book where 200 pages are reprinted in the book.

I've had that exact same problem with what I'd assume is the exact same book.
Solstice
Why am I not suprised by the existence of this topic?
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice)
Why am I not suprised by the existence of this topic?

I sure am not. It was as inevitable as grannies at a 70's Church social gathering around a record player or reel-to-reel tape machine to listen to rock albums backwards trying to pick out satanic messages. wobble.gif
JesterX
I want to thank you all for your nice suggestions about the exacto thing... Guess what? It worked nicely. I had just a little tearing doing this (2mm wide at the attach point) which is not so bad imho.

However, I guess i'm out of luck those days... I went to my brother's house to show him the book... and as soon as I got off the car with various bags and my son in the other arm, the bag containing my book falled on the ground causing some damage on the corner... frown.gif

I guess that it needed to be "baptized" ...

PlatonicPimp
Aww... don't worry. Damage to the covers/Spines of a book just show that they've been loved.
Akimbo
QUOTE (JesterX)
page 158-159 are connected together up to half of the page side.

Same problem here. Those two pages to be exact. I just went ahead and spliced them with a hunting knife. It was a fairly clean cut. The edges are a tad jagged, but it still looks good. I'm sure use of the book will make it look even worse anyway.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (JesterX)
I guess that it needed to be "baptized" ...

I think "exorcised" would be more appropriate.
Jezerel
Mine arrived this morning.

It has a page that wasn't cut properly. However, rather than simply trimming the page someone has folded it over, and shoved it inside the book causing the page to be ripped and creased. frown.gif

There is a nice smudge of green ink along the crease....
Beowurk
Mine arrived yesterday. Limited Edition, all nicely black and minimal and no cheezy cover art.

Except that the tables in Street Gear have stray numbers all over the place and layout errors. frown.gif Availability... 63?
caramel frappucino
May I ask how much you purchased the Limited Edition for?
Rev
QUOTE (Jezerel)
Mine arrived this morning.

It has a page that wasn't cut properly. However, rather than simply trimming the page someone has folded it over, and shoved it inside the book causing the page to be ripped and creased. frown.gif

There is a nice smudge of green ink along the crease....

I've found paperbacks with folded pages like that before (usually just a corner, but once it was like four pages folded in half). Usually the page is trimmed, but folded over so it evidently was accidentally folded before the trimming process.

Heh, in the first rigger2 book I bought half the pages were blank on one side. smile.gif Somehow I failed to notice while looking through it in the store! Luckily it wasn't a new release, they had another copy and I noticed before I left the neighborhood so it was just a couple minutes to replace it.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Beowurk)
Except that the tables in Street Gear have stray numbers all over the place and layout errors. frown.gif Availability... 63?

Are these any different than what's been identified as the errata to the first printing, either in the official errata or in the thread where Dumpshockers can flag potential errata for FanPro to review?
Fleinhoy
Haven't read it cover to cover yet, but the only problem I have seen are two pages (can't remember the numbers) that were poorly cut. The bottom 1/5 or so were still attached to each other. Nothing a sharp hobby knife, or as in my case the scissors on a leatherman knife (not really recommended, but my miniature scalpel was impossible to find) wouldn't fix.

The paper seemed to be rather thin though, and easily "wobbled". The entire book looks like it has been kept in slightly moist conditions at some point.

Was bought in Scotland by the by.
GlassJaw
I finally got my copy of SR4 (normal version) from this week. I was about to start a similar thread on the quality of the book until I saw this one.

I haven't had much time to read through it but my first impression was decent binding and stitching, cheap-feeling pages (they feel like wrapping paper), awful font style (it looks like a textbook more than a SR book), and art ranging from decent to "ehh" to yikes. On top of that, much of art doesn't capture the SR feel to me.

The bottom line is that the book itself doesn't make me want to read it. If it wasn't SR4 and just another RPB book, I probably wouldn't. Oh well.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (JesterX)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 13 2005, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (JesterX @ Oct 14 2005, 06:24 AM)

What for? The book was published by Ares? grinbig.gif

No, It sounds more like a Cross knock off...

You're dead Lucien and I'm still here.

hahahahahaha...

--Night Angel
nyahnyah.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (GlassJaw @ Oct 20 2005, 03:20 PM)
awful font style (it looks like a textbook more than a SR book)

Some of us happen to prefer a font that's as readable as what you'd find in a textbook, as opposed to say, the ransom note sourcebooks cranked out by White Wolf Game Studio.
JesterX
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (GlassJaw @ Oct 20 2005, 03:20 PM)
awful font style (it looks like a textbook more than a SR book)

Some of us happen to prefer a font that's as readable as what you'd find in a textbook, as opposed to say, the ransom note sourcebooks cranked out by White Wolf Game Studio.

Except for those capital Q... what an horrible letter in that font! ^_^
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (JesterX)
Except for those capital Q... what an horrible letter in that font! ^_^

I'll grant you that. The capital Q was horrid.
Feshy
The fonts, as near as I can tell, are Klavika (various headings, most of the bold text) and France (all the paragraph bodies). At least, when I use those fonts in my own house rules and the like, it looks pretty well identical. And yea, I do recall the Klavika Q was ugly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012