Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is 'Superior' fluid or fixed?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Velocity
QUOTE (Gothic Rose)
Superior - equal to around 75 karma
Superhuman - equal to around 150 karma

Thanks for the suggestions, that's definitely a start.

QUOTE (mmu1)
Could someone post some basic stats for - for example - an average Red Samurai?

I'll see what I can dig up when I get home from work, but there's not much out there. I'm quite sure that I've never seen stats for the SSD, Black Omega or the Kami no Bushi, for instance.

QUOTE (Critias)
Also, as someone mentioned, there are published stats for Ghosts in an adventure

I have that adventure and those stats, so I can reverse-engineer Karma values by building them through BeCKS. I did one already, the squad leader, and she came out to:

[ Spoiler ]
SL James
QUOTE (Critias)
You can wiggle around and find out some generic stats for Red Samurai, I think, somewhere in Brainscan (unless it was heavily house ruled/modified/altered by my gaming group, lots of Deus' security dudes were brainwashed Red Sammies).

Also, as someone mentioned, there are published stats for Ghosts in an adventure (the name of which I can't recall right now).

Blues are on page 84 of Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, and Brainscan pp. 139-40.

There are Tir Ghosts in Super Tuesday! as well, but they blow compared to the ones in Corporate Punishment. To be fair, pretty much every NPC blows compared to the Ghosts in Corporate Punishment.
Apathy
If you're willing to extrapolate backward from SR4, the new BBB has stats for Red Sams and Tir Ghosts, along with many others.

Opposition (ProRtg)_B__A__R__S__C__I__L__W__Ess__Init__CM__Skill
Humanis Goon (0)__3__2__2___4__1__2__1__2__6____4+1_10__Club1/Unarm1
Humanis LT (1)____3__3__3___4__2__3__2__2__6____6+1__10_Pistl2/Unarm2
Lone Star(3)______3__4___4__3__3__4__3__3__6____8+1__10_Pistl3/Club3/
________________________________________________________Unarm3
Red Sam(5)_______4__5__6__4__3__4__3___4__3.8__10+2_10_Edg3/AssltRif5/
________________________________________________________Unarm4
Tir Ghosts(6)______4__6__7__4__5__6__5___6__2.6__13+3__11_AssltRif5/
_________________________________________________________Unarm4

...somebody could figure out how many karma beyond a 400BP character it took to get these skillsets.
Glyph
I really don't think the "superior" rating was meant to be a perpetually self-adjusting thing. I think it means superior to a normal team of char-gen runners - a tweaked and min-maxed team of char-gen runners might actually be fairly close to that spec ops team (just less well-rounded), while a street-level team of faces, lightly-cybered ex-company men, ex-gangers, etc. might get mercilessly slaughtered if they ever went toe to toe with the big boys.

But the whole point of the rule, in my opinion, was to make it easier for a GM to stat out the opposition on the fly when such situations come up, not to create a rigid, illogical rule that opposition that is marginally better than the PCs will always remain so no matter how much the PCs improve.
Velocity
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (Critias @ Oct 18 2005, 07:40 AM)
You can wiggle around and find out some generic stats for Red Samurai, I think, somewhere in Brainscan (unless it was heavily house ruled/modified/altered by my gaming group, lots of Deus' security dudes were brainwashed Red Sammies).

Blues are on page 84 of Renraku Arcology: Shutdown, and Brainscan pp. 139-40.

Thanks for the reference, but after looking at the stats I don't think they'll be useful: the text refers to "converted Renraku guards," which may or may not be Red Samurai. I'd rather not put the effort into reverse-engineering their stats unless I'm sure of what I'm working with.
toturi
Red Sams (if you are not picky about what type of Red Sams) can be found IIRC in First Run.
Velocity
QUOTE (toturi)
Red Sams (if you are not picky about what type of Red Sams) can be found IIRC in First Run.

Thanks for the suggestion! I own that book (good pair of adventures in there, actually), but unfortunately the Red Samurai they present are specifically described as "trainees." I'd rather see if I can find stats for the elusive 'Superhuman' (i.e. normal) Red Samurai.
SL James
Aren't all Renraku security technically Red Samurai, anyway?

Ah, First Run. In a book that has "trainee" Red Sams, there is a Cyberzombie and a meet with a AAA mega CEO. Good times for newbies.
Critias
Always things you should run into, in your first three or four adventures.
Dim Sum
I've always thought of the ratings as a guideline for GMs to make a judgement call as and when situations come up.

For example, in SR3, based on the skill level descriptions, fluff text, etc., I first built a "typical" spec force soldier giving him the stats and skills which would correspond with a RL D-boy, SEAL, etc.. That gave me a rough idea of how much karma it takes to create a spec force soldier. I did the same for some other archetypes/professions, like smugglers, bodyguards, etc.. This gave me a frame of reference for judging if the opposition was superior or what-have-you to the PCs.

As we played on, the PCs improved and got to be as good as spec force units. This did NOT mean that there were no longer any spec force units superior to them in skill and training. It meant that there were far fewer individuals or groups who were superior to them. As I wrote stories for my campaigns, I would take the frame of reference I had done for myself and then ask myself how realistic it would be for the PCs to encounter Inferior/Equal/Superior/etc. opposition at various points in the campaign.

I certainly don't agree that a whole organisation/unit like the Red Samurai should be labelled Superior in general and ALWAYS be better than the PCs no matter how much they improve.
Earthwalker
I generally thought the point of the ratings for NPCs was that the people writing adventures and souce books have no idea what we are playing in term of power with there games.

We could be a gritty street campain where all characters have low skills and more mental flaws then you can shake a stick at. Or we could be playing liqued metal trolls. (Well not many of us but we could be)

That been the case writting up the best of the best Renraku has to offer might be so far beyond the players they could never touch them, or so weak the liquid metal troll would eat them all up.

With that in mind its prolly true to say that the ratings should be fixed as there the ratings for your game. Of course there should always be a challenge for your players and it is possible to have better then adverage supeior NPC and also worse.

I would say the ratings were a guide not set in stone. So My answer seems to be there fixed and fluid. Hmmm some help I am....
Velocity
QUOTE (Glyph)
But the whole point of the rule, in my opinion, was to make it easier for a GM to stat out the opposition on the fly when such situations come up, not to create a rigid, illogical rule that opposition that is marginally better than the PCs will always remain so no matter how much the PCs improve.

That's pretty much my feeling, yeah. The only thing is, you get descriptions like that of Shiawase's Kami no Bushi, who are rated Superior and their Awakened members are "at least" Grade 3 initiates. That probably puts them around 100-150 Karma apiece, making them significantly better than starting PCs.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out a plausible threshold for the special forces teams, assign them rough Karma levels (like Gothic Rose did), that kinda thing. right now i'm leaning towards:

Superior: 100-200 Karma
Superhuman: 250-400 Karma
Ultimate: Statless.

(does that read like a credit card ad to anyone else?)
Dim Sum
QUOTE (Velocity)
Superior: 100-200 Karma
Superhuman: 250-400 Karma
Ultimate: Statless.

(does that read like a credit card ad to anyone else?)

ROTLFMAO! rotfl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012