Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Practical Flight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Critias
QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
Now I hate to break it to you folks, but being able to move at 216 kph while inivisble (assuming the spell is used and not just the concealment power) means I'm getting in and out of Seattle any time I damn well please.

Sure. Unless someone -- a Lone Star mage, a random astral patroller for a security company, another Shadowrunner, a NAN patrol, a Tir patrol, somebody -- happens to be looking at the Astral right then. If so, you're breaking...just how many laws, again? Isn't Force 3 the highest things can be, and remain legal? And, assuming a not-gimp of a Mage, astral movement's pretty damned faster than your Neo-wannabe flyer, huh?

Just like everything else in the game -- nothing is foolproof. There a consequences to go with actions. If you want to wrap yourself in a spirit and a pair of spells so you can play Flying Invisible Guy in a cyberpunk game, that's fine. Just be ready to know (1) it's not as perfect as you think, and (2) that means opposing mages can pull the same shit against you and your buddies.
Fortune
QUOTE (Critias)
Isn't Force 3 the highest things can be, and remain legal?

Force 2 without a permit.
hyzmarca
Astral forms aren't astral barriers in the strictist sense, although they are solid on astral. However, astral fast movement works because there is no inertia on the astral plane. There is inertia on the physical plane. Using a watcher motorcycle is equiviliant to trying a 50ton lead weight to a paper airplane and trying to get it to fly.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Critias)
And, assuming a not-gimp of a Mage, astral movement's pretty damned faster than your Neo-wannabe flyer, huh?

No need to assume a not-gimp of a Mage, Fast Astral Movement is going to run circles around this with a Magic 1 Mage.

~J
Velocity
QUOTE (tisoz)
And using a spirits Movement power isn't as simple as some are implying.
(...)
It is a LOS power, so the spirit needs to keep up with the magician or the magician only fly around in a LOS radius.  The Spirit can use Movement on itself to accompany the magician, but now the top speed may limited by the spirit's Quickness and run modifier, if less than the Levitation spells movement rate.  The Spirit also requires 2 Complex Actions and 2 services to get the magician and itself up to speed.  (3 services if using Concealment.)  (SR3.265)

Not according to Shadowrun, page 262: "Sustained powers can be maintained by the spirit or dragon over time at no effort or cost (...) nor must line of sight be maintained, although victims that leave a nature spirit's domain are no longer affected by it." (emphasis mine)

Line-of-sight only applies during the initial use of the power. Afterwards, as long as the beneficiary of the Movement power remains within the Domain of the spirit, they're golden.
tisoz
Ok, how does one travel from country to country and remain in the same domain while using a single spirit with both Concealment and Movement?
Kagetenshi
At some times of the year a Mist spirit will do it for you. If you're a Wujen, Sylphs have you covered.

~J
SL James
Or if you're traveling across an ocean.
tisoz
That's a huge patch of fog. wink.gif

A sea spirit might be a possibility, too. [edit] SL James beat me to it. How high above the sea level should a sea spirit's domain reach, especially if the point is to fly through the air? No doubt the domains overlap, but when the guy starts flying, I think he left the sea domain. [/edit]

The point still is, it is not as simple as it seems. Really only one spirit available to one type of magician provides both needed powers to go all over the place like they were originally expounding. Everything else gets more limited and/or more complicated and requires more spirits services or spells. If someone wants to go through all the requirements, they deserve to fly around unseen.
LinaInverse
Use a Great Form Spirit, which can cross domains. Problem solved.
tisoz
QUOTE (LinaInverse @ Nov 9 2005, 12:49 PM)
Use a Great Form Spirit, which can cross domains.  Problem solved.

But can they use their powers in other domains. (I always wondered about this.)

And it is another requirement, (Invoking) and some more rolls that can cause problems.

If the guy really wants to do it right, get Invoking and Channeling, then use the powers on himself.
Velocity
QUOTE (Critias)
If you want to wrap yourself in a spirit and a pair of spells so you can play Flying Invisible Guy in a cyberpunk game, that's fine. Just be ready to know (1) it's not as perfect as you think, and (2) that means opposing mages can pull the same shit against you and your buddies.

With all due respect, what Sunday_Gamer is suggesting is a perfectly valid tactic and hardly genre-busting. Shadowrun is a far cry from strict cyberpunk and if dragons are an acceptable part of the setting, then by golly so are flying invisible mages. smile.gif

As for crossing the border unseen, it may not be foolproof tactic but it's pretty darned good.
LinaInverse
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (LinaInverse @ Nov 9 2005, 12:49 PM)
Use a Great Form Spirit, which can cross domains.  Problem solved.

But can they use their powers in other domains. (I always wondered about this.)

And it is another requirement, (Invoking) and some more rolls that can cause problems.

If the guy really wants to do it right, get Invoking and Channeling, then use the powers on himself.

The mage in the original posting has all these meta abilities. As for the rolls causing problems, this character also has a Karma pool >20, so rerolls are in no short supply.

For that matter, what exactly is the Domain of an Air Spirit? If you're flying over the sea, land, or another country, how does that leave the "Air" Domain? Frankly, exact Domain boundaries can be ambiguous at times.
tisoz
QUOTE (Velocity)
As for crossing the border unseen, it may not be foolproof tactic but it's pretty darned good.

Ity seems like a bad tactic to me. The reason being that the use of magic is going to be pretty obvious to the likely magical being patrolling the border.

A better tactic might be approaching an obscure point along the border using whatever method, but maintaining cover. Then dropping all magic and stealthing across until a bit away from the border, then cranking up the magic when a safe distance away.

If using the fly fast and magically invisible method (which does nothing to hide from astral sight), I'd propose using a diversion to draw the likely astral patrollers away from my intended path. Something like sending a spirit across a couple miles away from where I'm crossing.
tisoz
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
For that matter, what exactly is the Domain of an Air Spirit? If you're flying over the sea, land, or another country, how does that leave the "Air" Domain?

There is not an "Air" nature spirit in SR3. Likewise, Air isn't really a domain. Mist, Storm or Wind is the domain. Leave the fog and you left the Mist domain. Hit a patch of clear weather and you left the Storm domain. A becalmed day with little or no breeze, and there is fleeting or no Wind domain.

Spirits of the sky seem more similar to each other than other nature spirits, but just look at the other grouping and you can see that Sky spirits have their own limited domains, not the entire atmosphere.

Frankly, exact Domain boundaries can be ambiguous at times.

Exactly, which is why the entire sky above an ocean or city might be included in either domain. My point about using the Sea spirit's Movement power though was that flyinf isn't exactly moving along the water and so it is debatable that it should still be considered a sea domain.
Velocity
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (Velocity @ Nov 9 2005, 12:58 PM)

Ity seems like a bad tactic to me. The reason being that the use of magic is going to be pretty obvious to the likely magical being patrolling the border.

Do you really think the border is going to be that heavily patrolled? How long is the border, anyway?
LinaInverse
QUOTE (Velocity)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Nov 9 2005, 03:29 PM)

Do you really think the border is going to be that heavily patrolled? How long is the border, anyway?

If it's anything like the RL US/Mex or US/Can borders, then you could probably drive a division of tanks through and no one would know about them until they reached NYC.

Presuming that's not the case, I would assume it's like any "normal" border; patrolled reasonably well, but defeatable if one has the right assets, skills, and a little luck. As Doc says above, if that's not the case, then smugglers (magical or otherwise) would all go out of business.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (LinaInverse)
QUOTE (Velocity @ Nov 9 2005, 02:26 PM)

If it's anything like the RL US/Mex or US/Can borders, then you could probably drive a division of tanks through and no one would know about them until they reached NYC.

Presuming that's not the case, I would assume it's like any "normal" border; patrolled reasonably well, but defeatable if one has the right assets, skills, and a little luck. As Doc says above, if that's not the case, then smugglers (magical or otherwise) would all go out of business.

I think the biggest thing is knowing the schedules of patrols and usual procedures and such. All of which can be done with some legwork with smuggling contacts or with anything a friend of a friend might know of/or works in the border patrol or related agencies that have access.
DocMortand
I think the point of all of it is flying hippity skippity through country after country is probably not wise - take precautions FIRST or be prepared for bad things to possibly happen to you. A little legwork and your travelling can be pain free.

So - Have a barrier protect you from wierd things, have watchers protect you from rogue spirits, go invisible to protect against mundane viewing, check smuggler contacts to find out patrol schedules...the only thing to worry about is radar detection, and if you travel low enough you should evade that as well...but that raises other problems, of course.

Anything else for the flying supersonic mage to worry about?
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Anything else for the flying supersonic mage to worry about?

Shattering windows in residential areas with the sonic boom?

Actually the sonic boom may be a problem. An array of cheap microphones spread over the countryside, networked together and feeding into the industrial-sized version of the spatial recognizer should be able to pick out heading and trajectory quite easily.
Sunday_Gamer

To address a few points:

Only spirit who has both concealment and movement is indeed the Mist spirit, which isn't a run of the mill wind spirit, my bad.

On the spirit having to be physical, no, he only needs to be astral. Astral spirits can use their power on their summoner even if he is fully physical.

Now Tiz, if your games have complete magical coverage around Seattle 24h a day then ya, in your game, I'm not doing that.

In my game, mages are relatively rare. Certainly not common enough that there are mages available to patrol the border around Seattle constantly. Spirits aren't really a huge problem you get over the walls and into the NAN you hit the trees and it's not that hard to do. There's a WHOLE LOT of wall and I'm one pretty small monkey.

But again, if in your vision of the world it's wall to wall combat spirits and angry mages looking for something to blast, then ya, I'm going underground...

Last thing, flying around invisible offends your cyberpunk sensibilities? You're playing the wrong game chummer. Look around, it's Dragons and Orcs and Trolls oh my. Neo Wannabe? First of all I don't recall Neo ever being invisible, so I guess that means just flying makes me a Neo wannabe? Like other great Neo wannabes before me, which according to you is anyone who flies... thank God Neo invented flying! Superman would have been screwed...

Guess I should just get a motorcycle and join the Akira wannabes?
Maybe a car and I could be a Batman wannabe?
Ah screw it, I'll just spring for new sneakers and be a Micheal Jordan wannabe.

Sunday
nick012000
QUOTE (tisoz)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Nov 8 2005, 02:56 AM)
An easier way to do this:

Step 1. Summon a Force 1 watcher spirit, in the form of a motorcycle.
Step 2. Use Astral Perception, so you become Dual Natured.
Step 3. Ride the flying motorcycle.

Because fast astral movement beats the tar out of this, and because you're dual natured, you get pulled along for the ride. I'd make sure that watcher spirit had a head rest.

I've seen this proposed a couple of times now and no one has challenged it, so here goes. Wouldn't this be similar to a dual natured being getting forced through an astral barrier? The barrier/watcher either gets damaged enough to allow the astral form to pass through, or the barrier/watcher rips the astral form from the physical body. If the dual being can astrally project, it is an inconveniance, but if the dual natured being cannot astrally project, it is hosed.

Except that Dual Natured critters seem to have their physical forms physically projected onto the Astral, given that they use their real Strength, Quickness, and Body instead of their Charisma, Intelligence, and Willpower.
Demon_Bob
QUOTE (Velocity)

You could probably cross the border several times without being caught.
The problem comes when you are and the Border Patrol decides it needs to shoot you down.
The only question is how? fortunately, for them there are paranoid Goverment type whos job it is to think up solutions to problems like this.
Also remember invisibility and flight does not allow you to be undetected by radar, or motion sensors.
Critias
QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
Last thing, flying around invisible offends your cyberpunk sensibilities? You're playing the wrong game chummer. Look around, it's Dragons and Orcs and Trolls oh my. Neo Wannabe? First of all I don't recall Neo ever being invisible, so I guess that means just flying makes me a Neo wannabe? Like other great Neo wannabes before me, which according to you is anyone who flies... thank God Neo invented flying! Superman would have been screwed...

Guess I should just get a motorcycle and join the Akira wannabes?
Maybe a car and I could be a Batman wannabe?
Ah screw it, I'll just spring for new sneakers and be a Micheal Jordan wannabe.

Sunday

You're right. Dragons exist and some people are orks and magic is possible (though, according to you, very rare in your games) -- so there's nothing weird at all with flying around, invisible, all the time instead of walking or driving anywhere. I'm sure the only reason we don't see invisible flying guys in the artwork all the time is that they're invisible -- there's three or four, in fact, in every shot, we just can't see them! They're all over the place. All the cool kids are doing it!

And you still don't address -- not that you addressed any of the other drawbacks or ways you can be spotted, except by saying "no one sees it in my games!" -- that your chosen method of travel is less-than-perfect. You've latched onto flying around invisible as the be-all end-all method of moving anywhere in-game, as making you an unstoppable travel/smuggling powerhouse, as the perfect means to get from point a to point b with no chance in the slightest of anyone, anywhere taking notice... and just remember how fucking stupid you'll feel when a GM smarts up, and starts having flying invisible mages with grenade launchers come after your team.

In fact, if it's so perfect, why aren't flying invisible mages with grenade launchers a staple of corporate security teams?

Oh, wait. It's because in every game but yours there are problems with flying around wrapped in (rare) spirits and layers of spells, all the time. My mistake.

But that's okay. Keep it up. You've got your one little trick that you're convinced means you can fly anywhere, any time. You won the game. Good job! *thumbs up*
toturi
QUOTE (Critias)
You're right. Dragons exist and some people are orks and magic is possible (though, according to you, very rare in your games) -- so there's nothing weird at all with flying around, invisible, all the time instead of walking or driving anywhere. I'm sure the only reason we don't see invisible flying guys in the artwork all the time is that they're invisible -- there's three or four, in fact, in every shot, we just can't see them! They're all over the place. All the cool kids are doing it!

And you still don't address -- not that you addressed any of the other drawbacks or ways you can be spotted, except by saying "no one sees it in my games!" -- that your chosen method of travel is less-than-perfect. You've latched onto flying around invisible as the be-all end-all method of moving anywhere in-game, as making you an unstoppable travel/smuggling powerhouse, as the perfect means to get from point a to point b with no chance in the slightest of anyone, anywhere taking notice... and just remember how fucking stupid you'll feel when a GM smarts up, and starts having flying invisible mages with grenade launchers come after your team.

In fact, if it's so perfect, why aren't flying invisible mages with grenade launchers a staple of corporate security teams?

Oh, wait. It's because in every game but yours there are problems with flying around wrapped in (rare) spirits and layers of spells, all the time. My mistake.

But that's okay. Keep it up. You've got your one little trick that you're convinced means you can fly anywhere, any time. You won the game. Good job! *thumbs up*

Is flying around with all those spells breaking any rules(game mechanics)? If it does, it doesn't fly (pun intended). If not, it is prefectly fine.

You want flying invis sec mages? That's fine too. But in order to have flying invis sec mages with Concealment and Movement, those mages have got to be shamans, and from both canon game stats and fluff, we know that most security magicians are mages, not shamans.

But that's okay. Go ahead shoot down other people's ideas. Afterall, you is teh GM, you win teh game. Good job.
hyzmarca
Does anyone remember that episode of the X-files where a genie that made a guy invisible and he ran out into the road without thinking.

I'm imagining that with a suboribital.
Sunday_Gamer
Let me know when the crack wears off.

At NO point and time did I ever say or imply that this was the only way I got around. In fact I usually skateboard if you must know, but if I have to cross the border in a hurry, bet your ass I'll be flying over the wall invisible. I won't do it at noon at the shiniest busiest part I can find while firing manabolts into the sky for added effect.

Other than your asinine rant on your imaginary perceptions of any games I run in or GM in, there are many drawbacks to CONSTANTLY flying around invisible. It is not however, as you seem to think, the end of the Universe.

If you're so bent out of shape about it that you have to fire manabolts at flying mages from Angrybrand ™ sattelites from the Asshat corporation ™, knock yourself out but please spare me your holier than though bullshit. If it means so much to you, you can win.

No more flying folks, it upsets the man, apparently quite a lot.

But seriously though, when the crack wears off, we can talk some more.
Critias
You're funny.

At no point did I say you can't fly. At no point did I say I wouldn't let you (even, toturi, if I was "teh GM") in a game with me. At no point did I say it upsets me (and, well, nothing anyone does on Dumpshock really "upsets" me, more "amuses" and "gives me something to do at work). At no point did I say they'd be randomly attacked for flying around invisibly. You're delusional, and making up arguments on my behalf (which, I guess, saves me time, if nothing else).

All I said was it's not as super-duper perfect neat-o as you keep saying it is. It's not flawless. It's fallible. It's still quite possible to get noticed, and if noticed, caught. You're still breaking laws by doing it (unless it's a Force 2 Levitate and a Force 2 elemental). You're still lit up like a Christmas tree on the astral while you do it. You're still slow, compared to astral creatures/mages, while doing it. It's imperfect, and it should not work without incident all the time.

Chill. The fuck. Out.
ShadowDragon8685
Both of you need to lay off the crack. In fact, you oughta start hitting the weed a bit, if that's what it'll take to get you two to calm the fuck down.
Crusher Bob
Re: radar

You will not be detected by civillian radars.

Military radars of the 2060s should have no problem tracking you, as they will be optimized to detect low radar visibility aircraft (which will have about the same radar return that you do). However, if you are flying low, you run into horizon problems from ground based radar. And air based radars are expensive to operate and not likely to cover 'peaceful' sections of border.

If imp invis is ruled as protecting from radar as well (or you develop a specific 'immunity to radar spell' then you will be esentially undetectible by radar.

There is also your thermal signature, pushing that much air out of the way gets warm to hot. If you are going up to 100 or so mph, you probably don't have to worry about thermal signature unless you fly right over the detector. If you are going much faster you'll probably have to seriously worry about heating effects (i.e. get a cooling spell or bit of tech). This alos means that thermal type detectors might be able to track you. The problem with thermal detertors is that you basically have to know where to point them in the first place to track something. If you were, say, being intercepted by a military jet, they would probably have no trouble tracking (and firing) on you based on your thermal signature, of course if you are invisible to both sight and radar and have your thermal signature supressed, and the other side dosen't have magic, you are probably off scott free.
pragma
Regarding thermal signatures:

If you are using an air spirit with the movement power it coud be interpreted, as was mentioned earlier, as maniuplating the air to guide you. If that's the case, some of what the spirit is doing likely involves mitigating friction effects in the air bubble around you which reduces the heat generated by flight.

Personally, I would rule that movement makes you move and that it required use of concealment to reduce thermal signature, radar footprint, etc.
Juggernaut125
Just a theory, not actually 'rule' oriented, but rather concept oriented. What about an astral trail? Flying that fast with a bunch of spells sustained or locked and a Spirit assisting, I can imagine that leaving a pretty noticable "vapour-like" trail easily visible to any astrally perceiving awakened character. They may not be able to actually see you flying, but I don't think it would be that difficult to follow you astrally.
Crusher Bob
From what I remember, spells will work reliably up to about 100 miles (~500,000 feet in altitude) so if you can get spells to protect you against the environment, then you can get your astronauts wings while you are at it.
Birdy
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
From what I remember, spells will work reliably up to about 100 miles (~500,000 feet in altitude) so if you can get spells to protect you against the environment, then you can get your astronauts wings while you are at it.

Or you can go multi-stage. Strap yourself to a small missile (Say the US ASAT booster), levitate to the border of the Mana-Belt, stop casting / summoning and ignite booster. Don't forget to bring a vac-suit.

Re-Entry might be another adventure...

Birdy
pragma
Interesting thought, a very good mage with a telescope could greatly reduce the cost of launching things into orbit by levitating things to the farthest extent possible before igniting boosters.

I suppose aiming the payload before firing the boosters could be rather troublesome though.
Velocity
QUOTE (pragma)
Interesting thought, a very good mage with a telescope could greatly reduce the cost of launching things into orbit by levitating things to the farthest extent possible before igniting boosters.

Unlikely, given that the base target number for Levitate is 4, and "the target number of the Sorcery Test is increased by +1 for every full 100 kilograms of mass of the object." (SR3, p. 197)

Even with some serious Karma use, anything weighing over 800 kg or so would be really difficult to lift. Even then, if the magician rolled exceptionally well, they wouldn't be able to propel the object at a useful speed.
pragma
Agreed, for a moment I thought that centering worked slightly differently and would let the mage bypass the high TN -- MITS has shown me the error of my ways.

That said, a small enough payload could still be moved rather effectively -- if the savings on fuel needed were great enough I could envision this being rather useful. I suppose it depends on what is being launched.
Aku
on that thought line, what effects would group casting have on it? i'm thinking it might be useful for things like launching supplies to any space stations or extended space flights, not that those really happen in SR.....
Eyeless Blond
Well I was curious how they managed to build Zurich, considering how incredibly expensive it is per pound to put stuff into orbit (something like a million dollars a pound or something; it's nuts) without a space elevator of some sort. Maybe they used mages and slingshotted everything piecemeal into orbit?
PlatonicPimp
Or they just spent a million dollars a pound because, as high level megacorpers, they actuall HAVE that much money to spend on stupid shit.
Birdy
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Well I was curious how they managed to build Zurich, considering how incredibly expensive it is per pound to put stuff into orbit (something like a million dollars a pound or something; it's nuts) without a space elevator of some sort. Maybe they used mages and slingshotted everything piecemeal into orbit?

Actually that 1 Million/Pound is NASA. If you opt for a cheap and reliable carrier that has as 70:30 ratio technicians:admins (instead of admins:technicians) you get far better prices. Basically everywhere is cheaper.

As an alternate you could use more modern systems like the Delta Clipper (DC-X) and other Single Stage to Orbit Systems (SSTO, see ROMBUS for an example)

And a final option: You are a corp. Improve the neighbourhood. Shoot some greenies and launch a nuclear powered system (ORION)

Birdy
Kagetenshi
ORIONs only really work if you're leaving permanently. Also, to just call it "nuclear powered" is, while accurate, somewhat deceptive.

~J
Czar Eggbert
looks like average price per pound for an orbital launch is somewhere around 20k for GTO.

http://www.futron.com/pdf/FutronLaunchCostWP.pdf

The Eggman
tisoz
QUOTE (Sunday_Gamer)
On the spirit having to be physical, no, he only needs to be astral. Astral spirits can use their power on their summoner even if he is fully physical.

How am I reading this wrong?
QUOTE (SR3.262)
Type: Powers may be either Mana (M) or Physical (P), the same as spells. [...]  Physical Powers affect the physical world.  They cannot be used without a physical presence (such as spirits in astral form).  A spirit must assume a physical form in order to use or be affected by physical powers.

QUOTE (SR3.262)
CONCEALMENT
Type: P  *  Action: Simple  *  Range: LOS  *  Duration: Sustained

QUOTE (SR3.265)
MOVEMENT
Type: P  *  Action: Complex  *  Range: LOS  *  Duration: Sustained
Fortune
Somewhere in SR3 (don't have my old books here) it does state that Spirits can use their Powers on their Summoner without having to Materialize. It is only when they are ordered to use those Powers on others that they have to take physical form.
toturi
QUOTE (Fortune)
Somewhere in SR3 (don't have my old books here) it does state that Spirits can use their Powers on their Summoner without having to Materialize. It is only when they are ordered to use those Powers on others that they have to take physical form.

QUOTE (SR3 p186)
A nature spirit in astral form can only use its mana powers which affect astral forms or its summoner through their magical connection.

Is this what you are refering to? If so, then perhaps you misremembered, an astral nature spirit can use its mana powers on 1 physical form, its summoner. To use its physical powers, it still has to be physical.
Fortune
Probably misremembered. smile.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (Fortune)

Hey, if someone finds it, by all means let me know. I usually play a shaman and use spirits all the time. I've just had things made more difficult by GM's too many times to believe some things are a gimme.
Vaevictis
One thing to keep in mind is that with a force 10 spell quickened on you, you have the astral subtlety of a mushroom cloud on the horizon.

Any entity that uses astral beings (mages, spirits, etc) to patrol its border is *likely* to see you, irrespective of the size of the border. You're glowing like a goddamn star on the astral. The only thing that is likely to hide you is the horizon. And if you're dealing with a spirit or mage that is flying about on the astral, the horizon can be very, very far away.

Anything that is capable of astral perception is going to react to you in extremes. There will be no "indifference" or "ignoring" you. Extreme curiousity, extreme fear, extreme hatred, etc. Those will be the reactions you get from dual natured beings.

Basically, the main thing I would suggest that the GM focus on is your total, utter incapability at being subtle where astral perceiving beings are concerned. You will attract spirits and dual natured beings *constantly*. If there is a dragon anywhere in the vicinity, who do you think it's going to be most interested in? How about that mana eating bacteria? If there's a cloud within 20 miles, it's going to zero in on you. Etc, etc, etc.
DocMortand
To a certain extent that's true in my game. Actually that kinda happened in the game today where she couldn't understand why a lonely watcher spirit (force 3) who was the patrol spirit wouldn't be alarmed by *her* plus 13 force 6 watchers congregated around her.

Glowing like a star tho...some of it is dimmed because she's a lvl 5 initiate. So it's only like an uninitiated sustaining a level 5 spell. So I don't necessarily buy the star comparison. To me masking is not all or nothing. (Or if I got that initiate grade wrong, the math is still there)

Oh, and killing the watcher spirit was not a good thing - this was a "leave no trace" mission and that would raise the alarm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012