Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mystic Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Antimuppet
I'm still working on my first character - only had the book for a couple of weeks now. (THANKS MOO!)

He's a shamanistic mystic adept with a yen for shapeshifting into a big honkin' black dog. The one thing I have to worry about with him is his lack of armor as the dog. Sure, with Combat Sense, Dodge and a good Reaction score (6 in Dog Form), I've got something like 13 dice on a complex action for Full Defense, but bullets are gonna hurt.

What else have people gotten up to with Mystic Adepts?
Fortune
The Mystic Armor adept Power is always an option. wink.gif
BGMFH
Im loking at an elf with only one power point, and the other 5 for magic, simply to leave advancement options open, and maybe some evil GM munchkinness if ever needed.
ElFenrir
Mystic Armor=good. Only .5 point, 1/1 ballistic/impact, and even works astrally. Cumulative with worn armor. As a big black dog, will be very helpful!

Siege
I never delved too deeply into physical mages because they were deemed early as either too weak initially or horribly abusive with some karma.

Of course, that was primarily my group's experience.

-Siege
BGMFH
In 4th they are much better balanced Siege
Siege
I've skimmed the rules, although I didn't get the chance to run one.

Considering the costs involved in acquiring Magic, mystic adepts tend to be even weaker than either counterpart in 4th edition.

Which is fine if the party can afford an oddball character, instead of depending on the mystic adept for either full adept or magic support roles.

The only real difference between 3rd and 4th is the varying amount of Magic, rather than a default 6 in 3rd.

-Siege
blakkie
QUOTE (BGMFH)
In 4th they are much better balanced Siege

That's what i thought too, but apparently they somehow got themselves back on the Bubba Love Troll dating list again. frown.gif
Siege
Like anything else, it depends on the player.

-Siege
Antimuppet
The next plan, after I make up a heap of other characters, is to try out a combat mystic adept with Improved Reaction 1 and 4 Magic for spellcasting, just to have a speedy spell slinger who doesn't have to depend on a sustaining focus.
ogbendog
just slap the bioware in that gives one more pass, and use the rest for cyber eyes and ears
blakkie
QUOTE (Siege @ Nov 16 2005, 09:58 AM)
Like anything else, it depends on the player.

-Siege

You mean whether or not GM follows what is apparently canon. The were certainly acceptable up until the report of violent penetration showed up.

EDIT: Which i guess follows the pattern. They were pretty good in SR3, maybe even a bit over the top with the use of Geas....until the FAQ cornholed them.
Azralon
The Mystic Adept I have now is a 4/1 split, with the 1 point going into Astral Perception. I took Incomp in Summoning and Binding since I plan on playing him as a sorcerer with a few innate magic tricks. A little bit of Combat Sense and Mystic Armor in particular.

I'd like to be pumping adept points into the initiative boost, but it's far more cost-efficient (with regards to karma) to run the spell in a sustaining focus. Five whole adept points to get +3 to Reaction and +3 IPs is a huge investment, as opposed to just spending some money and a little karma for the spell and focus. True, the adept power can't be dispelled and will pass through astral barriers without argument... but oy. That's a lotta initiating and Magic increases to get there.

Like I said, he's supposed to be primarily a caster so I do want to spend most of my karma on the sorcery side of my Magic rating. I feel the slippery slope of too much diversity and I'm trying to resist the temptations.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 16 2005, 10:38 AM)
The Mystic Adept I have now is a 4/1 split, with the 1 point going into Astral Perception.  I took Incomp in Summoning and Binding since I plan on playing him as a sorcerer with a few innate magic tricks.  A little bit of Combat Sense and Mystic Armor in particular.

So you'll have a mage that lost a point of Magic just like he had implanted some Orthoskin and Muscle Toner but without the benefits of the 'ware till he's bought even more Magic and diverted from that from being a mage too...oh, and he can't Project.

EDIT: That's not to say he won't be better off than a mundane in a longterm, high karma campaign. But that's a different issue that goes more to the unlimited nature of awakened PCs. I suppose in a longterm, high karma campaign he could even arguable level off with Adepts (such is the utility of spells).
Siege
I saw that, but:

In 3rd edition, a Physical Mage was assumed to have 6 Magic Points to spend starting out, making them weaker than either full-on wizards or adepts. They still had to spend points on adept powers, leaving the balance for spells.

In 4th edition, they are subject to the same penalty as adepts and wizards - variable and usually limited starting Magic, but the basic rule has not changed. Anything not spent on Adept powers goes to "Magic" for spellcasting purposes.

In 4th edition, they are weaker than their 3rd edition counterparts, but in 4th edition, most characters are initially weaker across the board. Essentially, the standard has simply been lowered.

-Siege
Captain_Blie
Whoops. biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Siege)
I saw that, but:

In 3rd edition, a Physical Mage was assumed to have 6 Magic Points to spend starting out, making them weaker than either full-on wizards or adepts. They still had to spend points on adept powers, leaving the balance for spells.

In 4th edition, they are subject to the same penalty as adepts and wizards - variable and usually limited starting Magic, but the basic rule has not changed. Anything not spent on Adept powers goes to "Magic" for spellcasting purposes.

In 4th edition, they are weaker than their 3rd edition counterparts, but in 4th edition, most characters are initially weaker across the board. Essentially, the standard has simply been lowered.

-Siege

What has changed in 4th that humps them is maximum spell Force = Magic x 2, and how the old Force 1, for lack of a better word, loopholes closed up.

P.S. In 3rd edition the MW Adept's saving grace was geasing the Magic Power. So they were right in there as starting characters. It was the FAQ's take on Initiation for them where they got tapped by Bubba.
Siege
What spells would you have purchased for Physical Mages? Or, in 4th edition, Mystic Adepts?

How many spells don't require a relatively high Force to be effective? I can only think of two or three that might be worth a damn.

In 3rd edition, any spell force that exceeded Magic became physical drain, which in turn meant a Physical Mage could toss off one or two spells before being emptied like a battery left running too long.

-Siege
blakkie
QUOTE (Siege @ Nov 16 2005, 11:05 AM)
In 3rd edition, any spell force that exceeded Magic became physical drain, which in turn meant a Physical Mage could toss off one or two spells before being emptied like a battery left running too long.

The main forum has numerous whole threads on the subject on Force 1 SR3 spells, but a short list to get started:

Increased Reflexes (1, 2, or 3), Invisibility, and Improved Invisibility were good starts for the Force 1 list (in canon of course). smile.gif That's all history now.

Heal/Treat was normally fine at midling Force levels because as written extra successes could at least be used to lower time, which as written is no longer the case. Also damage tracks have gotten longer, so a given box is often worth a bit more now depending on the target's Attribute. EDIT: SR3 Force 1 Heal/Treat wasn't that great though, it's use would be more for the occational patch job on a Light wound (receiving just 1 box of damage being more likely in SR3) or the oh-crap-emergency stabilizer.

A lot of the Detect spells in SR3 were still quite useful at Force 1, the Inventory spell was often more useful cast at lower Force than higher because of the lower range. Inventory hasn't shown up yet in SR4, but to give some examples of what is there right now many Detect [Obect] spells are COMPLETELY worthless (simply cannot succeed) until you use at least Force 4 or 5, and with low Force the passive Detect spells (Clairvoyance, et. al.) are like looking through a shit splattered windshield.

So are the SR4 version of Force 1 or 2 spells entirely without use? Well some are. But mostly it is that they overall (so far) either had low/limited utility in SR3 and maintain that now, or received somewhere between a modest reduction and a full out kick to the happy sac during the move to SR4.

P.S. Don't get me wrong, i applaud those spell changes. I'd be disappointed if Street Magic reversed the trend. I'm also not suggesting that the SR3 MW Adept was a major fire and lightning combat mage. Well, unless they cheezed it with a Geas on 6 points of the Magic Power. spin.gif Then they could at least start out as one. Nor would i expect Mystic Adepts to be able to hang with the truely red hot avatars of spell slinging destruction, the reduced Spellcasting pool hurts.
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 16 2005, 12:47 PM)
EDIT: That's not to say he won't be better off than a mundane in a longterm, high karma campaign.  But that's a different issue that goes more to the unlimited nature of awakened PCs.  I suppose in a longterm, high karma campaign he could even arguable level off with Adepts (such is the utility of spells).

Now you see the plan.

Although, with the very recent information that Mystic Adepts actually don't use their full Magic rating to determine spell Force caps, the character build theory is now busted.

Gonna just go rebuild him into a full normal mage. Jeez, way to be unclear on yet another thing, FanPro. By d6s, you mean dice, right? nyahnyah.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 16 2005, 12:47 PM)
EDIT: That's not to say he won't be better off than a mundane in a longterm, high karma campaign.  But that's a different issue that goes more to the unlimited nature of awakened PCs.  I suppose in a longterm, high karma campaign he could even arguable level off with Adepts (such is the utility of spells).

Now you see the plan.

The plan is they are humped unless you run your campaign out to hundreds of karma, at which point they get company in the humped department?

If so then i feel confident in my assertion that the plan sucks. nyahnyah.gif
Azralon
Yeah, dude. "OMG, I'm at -1 Magic compared to what I coulda been. I am so BONED."
warrior_allanon
made one in SR3 and made one in SR4 after playing phys ads for years, magically they are usually gimped early on, but the trick is to not play their magic skills early on, play them as a normal phys ad in the begining, then use karma to up your magical ability (sr3 initiate SR4 take it up and initiate)

someone pm me where i can hand off both my new character sheet and for people to see and use the template.
Lilt
I personally think you could do quite well with low spellcasting magic and high physad magic. That stops you from being able to cast the uber-high force spells, and gives you a fair few power points to play with, but that means you can overcast to the max and still expect to take the drain.

A single point of magic (or possibly even a mystic adept with all points into physical abilities, depending on how you interpret the rules) is enough to let you use Counterspelling. As counterspelling isn't rolled with your magic attribute, spellcasting magic 1 is just fine for it. As counterspelling is one of the most valuable things an awakened character can provide a team, I'd say it's a good choice.

Definately buy and bond a force 2 power focus at character creation. At 6BP per point of force (25k nuyen.gif costs 5BP, plus 1BP to bond) it's a better deal than extra magic attribute unless you're really wanting to cast high force spells or summon high-force spirits.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
Yeah, dude. "OMG, I'm at -1 Magic compared to what I coulda been. I am so BONED."

*shrug* That's how casters are. Anything off the top end really hurts. Moreso than in SR3 too, where Magic was a lot cheaper and didn't have as much weight in the mechanics.
Antimuppet
Lil - that was a lot of how I planned my guy to begin with, I think I'm going to tweak him back to the Power 4/Magic 2 set up and load up a few more goodies. Mystic Armor 2 would be nice, but so would a 4th point of Combat Sense, Improved Perception and a smattering of fast healing.
blakkie
QUOTE (Lilt)
Definately buy and bond a force 2 power focus at character creation. At 6BP per point of force (25k nuyen.gif costs 5BP, plus 1BP to bond) it's a better deal than extra magic attribute unless you're really wanting to cast high force spells or summon high-force spirits.

If they work that way, ya. Which as covered would be bad, but quite possible. frown.gif

Yes, Counterspelling is a nice thing to have. I believe you'd need to allocate at least 1 Magic point to magician use though to get it:

QUOTE (page 113)
Unless otherwise noted in the description, only characters
with the Magician or Mystic Adept quality and a Magic attribute
of 1 or greater may take or use Magic skills.

So for the most part the Mystic Adept Quality could be replaced by a 5BP Quality that allowed Adepts to then buy a 1 PP Adept power that in turn allowed them to buy and use Counterspelling for Spell Defense (and 1+Counterspelling dice for dispelling)? :^)
Jaid
wouldn't the counterspelling be an "other purpose" for total magic?

so that means not only are they good with warding, they can also counterspell now nyahnyah.gif

hmmm... is number of focii in any way based on total magic? we may yet find some uses for that line of text wink.gif
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Jaid)

No. Counterspelling is a magic-based skill.

hmmm... is number of focii in any way based on total magic? we may yet find some uses for that line of text wink.gif

Yes. You can't have more active foci than your magic attribute. And there is currently no focus-related magic skill related to the bonding of foci, so for now at least there are no caps on that.

Of course, since Rob's statement directly contradicts the printed word that was changed in SR4, I'm going to publically suspect that he was reflexively giving the SR3 answer without thinking about it. People still do ask him SR3 questions now and again, so that's going to be my assumption unless and until someone gives me a better one.

Still using the RAW on that one,
-Frank
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid)

Well you used Foci for Skills, and most Foci are tied to "magicians" in the text sooooo i wouldn't count on it being total Magic outside of Weapon Foci. Maybe though.
blakkie
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Still using the RAW on that one,

Sadly the RAW is vague enough that it allows for interpretation that way. Though i remember at least one playtester thinking that the larger Force was correct, it's in the earlier part of the Magic sticky thread. I noticed the wording change and brought it up myself within a couple of days of having the PDF.

Good point about the SR3 angle. It's tough to keep two similar but different systems 100% clear in your head. There could even have been a miscommunication about which version the question was about (hard to judge that without the email text though).
Lilt
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Yes. You can't have more active foci than your magic attribute. And there is currently no focus-related magic skill related to the bonding of foci, so for now at least there are no caps on that.

You can bond as many as your magic attribute but only have as many active as your logic (P191, start of second paragraph under Activation). Logic is still capped at the modified limit of 9 (or 10 with exceptional attribute).
Jaid
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 17 2005, 06:31 PM)

No. Counterspelling is a magic-based skill. [snip]...
-Frank

according to blakkie's quote though, you just need to be a full magician or mystic adept to take magic skills...

perhaps i'm missing something though... what was that ruling again?

i mean, it doesn't really specifically say that you need 1 point of magic devoted towards being a spellcaster or anything...
blakkie
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Nov 17 2005, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 17 2005, 06:31 PM)

No. Counterspelling is a magic-based skill. [snip]...
-Frank

according to blakkie's quote though, you just need to be a full magician or mystic adept to take magic skills...

perhaps i'm missing something though... what was that ruling again?

i mean, it doesn't really specifically say that you need 1 point of magic devoted towards being a spellcaster or anything...

If the Mystic Adept doesn't allocate at least one point towards it they effectively have no Attribute to base it upon, just as is the case for the Magician with Magic 0.

Every point of Magic invested in mana-based abilities grants the character one point to use with Magic-based skills.

If that is read to include determining Maximum Force as "use with Magic-based skills", then it would seem nearly certain to apply mana-based Magic points only to that sentence on page 113.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012