Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: US Military's Joint Combat Pistol program
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Critias
I just posted the original link over on glocktalk (one of my other hangouts, and one of the net's biggest gun forums), and while I still haven't had a chance to look over the file, etc, myself (being "not so technical" a gun guy, anyways...) -- one of the guys on there said he was pretty sure the electronics/shot counter/what-have-you was only wanted on the prototypes that were submitted to the gov't for testing, and wasn't supposed to be on the actual pistols at production time.

So maybe we were all coming up with fantastic smartgun ideas for nothing.
ShadowDragon8685
Those looked an afully lot like "This is what the final model has to have" to me. You can count shots fired in testing easily enough.

Besides, push the limit. We need our Smartguns. Now, all we need is an SGL... smile.gif
otomik
QUOTE (Critias)
one of the guys on there said he was pretty sure the electronics/shot counter/what-have-you was only wanted on the prototypes that were submitted to the gov't for testing, and wasn't supposed to be on the actual pistols at production time.

this guy you're quoting is an idiot, if you're not technical then you certainly shouldn't go to them for their opinions. there are better forums out there than block talk, try thehighroad.org it's quality and diverse and not filled with people that reflexively spout "just get a glock" like it's the end all cure to all lives problems.

girlfriend pregnant? get a glock
car won't start? get a glock
the souffle won't rise? get glock

besides we all know here the real answer is NERPS.
Critias
I wasn't so much going there for "opinions" as going there to see where their conversation went (in a different direction than RPers or not, etc, etc).

But, speaking of opinions, it sounds like you've got a pretty low one of GT. *thumbs up* That's fine, and I guess if I was going there to find answers to all life's problems, I'd have the same issue. That's not what the internet is for, though, hate to break it to ya. I'm here for entertainment and discussion, in that order.
brohopcp
QUOTE (otomik)

I know for a fact that this one works.
FrostyNSO
QUOTE (otomik)

Actually the problem with the souffle will likely be that it falls after rising, in which case the report of a glock won't help! But if the cook has had repeated problems with this: Get a Glock.
ShadowDragon8685
No, no, no. BAAD!

*smacks the glock crowd.*

Get a Colt, damnit. Preferably something in .45 ACP.
otomik
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Get a Colt,

the UAW eats babies, takes all your money and gives it to fat tony. complain and you sleep with the fishes dead.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (otomik)
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 27 2005, 05:02 AM)
one of the guys on there said he was pretty sure the electronics/shot counter/what-have-you was only wanted on the prototypes that were submitted to the gov't for testing, and wasn't supposed to be on the actual pistols at production time.

this guy you're quoting is an idiot, if you're not technical then you certainly shouldn't go to them for their opinions. there are better forums out there than block talk, try thehighroad.org it's quality and diverse and not filled with people that reflexively spout "just get a glock" like it's the end all cure to all lives problems.

besides we all know here the real answer is NERPS.

What, this problem doesn't exist at THR?

Didn't like that movie? It's them liberals.
Browser crashed? It's them liberals.
Car crashed? It's them liberals.
XBox 360 crashed? It's them liberals.
Critias
And, if you'll notice, the listed stuff for the smartlink-esque shot-counter is an "optional," not "mandatory," add-on.
otomik
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 27 2005, 06:51 PM)
And, if you'll notice, the listed stuff for the smartlink-esque shot-counter is an "optional," not "mandatory," add-on.
I've noticed, but we've been talking about it anyway because it's cool and shadowrunesque. a lot of the things we're talking about are objectives and not requirements, the interchangable grips and it really doesn't have to be hi-cap, it only requires a 8-round mag with 10-round extended mag. the SIG P220R is ready for duty.
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik @ Nov 26 2005, 05:41 PM)
I've said it before, I like having a decocker but I don't think that decocker is well thought out, Beretta still wins.

Wins what? They're not going to win anything without a decocker and they're not going to make the "no grip shift" objective with the "F" safety.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/TaurusPT92.htm
in the stress of a deadly force situation, one might apply enough force disengaging the safety to inadvertently decock the pistol such that the first shot has to be double-action or the pistol recocked before firing.
absolutely correct.

Incidentally, having spent a good bit of time behind a PT92 (as well as having owned an HK USP40 with a very similar safety arrangement), I've personally never run into this problem. Ever. (Of course, I've never really had to deal with the stress of a deadly force situation, either, but I have run through some practical pistol courses with them. Lucky me?) Even if you did manage to hit that big might dead on, I don't see how it would be any worse than running around with an M9 in Condition 2 (as the safety can't be applied without decocking the hammer, so your first shot is likely to be double action anyway). *shrug*

The Taurus safety has functionality that the various Beretta safeties don't. It's fully compatible with the JCP objectives whereas the Beretta safeties, as they exist now, are not. It's not a huge deal, really, but unless they come up with something, they're going to miss an objective.

If Taurus can get an exchangable backstrap and M1913 rail going, the PT945 might make a decent contender. Or if they can put a similar manual safety on the 24/7-45, that one might be good, too. Though honestly, I don't think either would get much serious consideration, sadly.

that's why I think the CZ99 has it so right when they combined the decocker and slide release into one button, that way the controls are the familiar 1911 type (but with a decocker also and ambidextrous).

It's a good idea. Too bad it's made in Serbia.

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
go Glock!

They'd have to do a lot of R&D (for a DA/SA trigger with a manual safety; basically abandoning everything that makes a Glock a Glock) to come up with a serious contender to meet the JCP specs. At present, Glock doesn't have anything that can compete. Considering the grip they have on the police market, I don't see them really putting a lot of effort into this. But who knows. Anything is possible.

QUOTE (Critias)
I just posted the original link over on glocktalk (one of my other hangouts, and one of the net's biggest gun forums), and while I still haven't had a chance to look over the file, etc, myself (being "not so technical" a gun guy, anyways...) -- one of the guys on there said he was pretty sure the electronics/shot counter/what-have-you was only wanted on the prototypes that were submitted to the gov't for testing, and wasn't supposed to be on the actual pistols at production time.

Gonna have to disagree with that as well. Everything else in the specs is meant to be a part of the production. The shot counter is an objective, thus not necessarily required, but I definitely get the impression that it's supposed to be part of the production pistol.

QUOTE (otomik)

I find it funny that such a hardcore Beretta fanboy is taking a crack at Glock owners like this. wink.gif
otomik
QUOTE (Raygun @ Nov 27 2005, 08:18 PM)
having spent a good bit of time behind a PT92 (as well as having owned an HK USP40 with a very similar safety arrangement), I've personally never run into this problem. Ever.

i withdraw my earlier assertion

I find it funny that such a hardcore Beretta fanboy is taking a crack at Glock owners like this.
biggrin.gif we all got our prejudices, I look for reasons not to like a Taurus but it's mostly aesthetic, same with Glock. I have a inch for a 10mm and the Glock 20 looks good.

and If I ever ran into a Beretta exec I would taunt them that Ernest Langdon left them because they wouldn't make a 92 in .45
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik @ Nov 27 2005, 09:17 PM)
I have a inch for a 10mm and the Glock 20 looks good.

Yeah, me too. I'm looking at the Tanfoglio/EAA Witness, myself.

and If I ever ran into a Beretta exec I would taunt them that Ernest Langdon left them because they wouldn't make a 92 in .45

That dude right there is (I think) the one person most directly responsible for inspiring the JCP solicitation. He used the SIG that most closely fits the specs to win a lot of competitions and he's real tight with the military (especially USMC) community. Now that he's the military sales manager for Smith & Wesson, I can't see them not offering something for the JCP.
FrostyNSO
What I'd like to hear are the reasons behind the specifications. A lot of what I've seen in the realm of specifications for certain projects have been "well this would be nice to have". Sometimes the utility is much less valuble in real life than it looked on paper. (and I'm sure I'll be hit with a shitload of speculation from others around here)

At the end of the day, the tool has to be able to do the job. Period. Choose the tool that gets it done with the most reliabilty most of the time. Everything else is secondary.

As for a shot counter, they need to be careful. If it's anywhere the shooter can see while he's trying to aim, it could take his attention away from what he needs to see even more, his sights. A counter on the left side (for righties like me) would be nice I'd think.
Aku
personally, i'd prefer to see a kill counter, over a shot counter. I'm like Gimli, i dont care how many swings/shots i have, i just want the body count!

PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Aku)
personally, i'd prefer to see a kill counter, over a shot counter. I'm like Gimli, i dont care how many swings/shots i have, i just want the body count!

I just have visions of that scene from Hot Shots, part two. Where there's a running body count on the screen as our hero shoots the bad guys...
Kagetenshi
I'd prefer to see a hit-point counter. No more guessing how close you are to dead!

~J
Arethusa
Frosty, if it's a maintenance counter, it's unlikely you could even view it without dismantling it and linking it up to a computer. That would at least be the most sensible way to go about a fairly senseless design specification.

And I always did wonder what JRR was smoking when he came up with the Gimli/Legolas frag count. Rather uncharacteristic for a guy and series of books so against war.
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa @ Nov 28 2005, 02:26 AM)
And I always did wonder what JRR was smoking when he came up with the Gimli/Legolas frag count.  Rather uncharacteristic for a guy and series of books so against war.

Well, from what I understand, he was smoking a lot of tobacco from a pipe. smile.gif

Funny. I really never saw Lord of the Rings as being either an "anti-war" or "pro-war" book. War just is (throughout the entire history of Middle Earth, even), with both hardships and glories. I'm sure that having served through a particularly nasty one, Tolkien wasn't any great fan of war, at least at that level, but then he wasn't so anti-war as to go out of his way to keep his own son from serving during one either. *shrug* I think people see what they want to, there.

Anyway...
Arethusa
I'm not saying he was a pacifist. Just that he was known to be not that fond of it, along with just about everyone else who survived WW1, and that the killcount thing was rather out of character for him and for a series of books very much occupied with the gravity and responsibilities of war. Just had to clarify; sorry for the brief threadjack.
TheNarrator
It could just be that he felt it was appropriate for the characters (and part of getting them to bond) and that they would be proud of their killcount, even if Tolkien wasn't proud of having killed in a war himself. I can't speak for JRR, but I find that the best storytelling occurs then characters have voices and opinions of their own, consistent with their natures, rather than being mouthpieces for the author's viewpoints.

Not to mention that orcs in fantasy literature tend to not be treated as people, but as monsters.

And steering things on-topic: did the design documents indicate why they're changing from 9mm back to .45?
otomik
QUOTE (TheNarrator)
And steering things on-topic: did the design documents indicate why they're changing from 9mm back to .45?

The earlier FHS Future Handgun System contract that got rolled into the JCP also stipulated something with more stopping power than 9mm, but they weren't specific about what cartridge. So I believe they want something with more stopping power (at least when you're talking about FMJ). The requirement for a threaded barrel and silencer system means they also want a cartridge that silences easily, .45 does this pretty well, so does 9mm but with the 9mm you have to use special subsonic ammo that reduces it's performance (OTOH some people like the 147-grain loads). anyway they still keep some .45ACP in inventory for the MEUSOC .45, MARSOC.45 and SOCOM .45

it's not entirely like going to a new cartridge because they have some good loads picked out

MIL-C-1311E Cartridge, Caliber .45, Ball, M1911, (A475)

MIL-C-60163  Cartridge, Caliber .45, Test, High Pressure, (M1)

SW010-AD-GTP-010  SMALL ARMS AND SPECIAL
WARFARE AMMUNITION
.45 caliber +P Truncated Cone, (AA18)

MIL-C-46482B  Cartridge, Caliber .45 Ball, M1911, Match Grade, (A483)
early phases of M9 testing had them using some M1 9mm ball, which was craptacularly inconsistent and had all the pistols failing their accuracy requirements. So it's nice to have the cartridge and loads picked out now.
Raygun
otomik, this x4 shit is getting silly. Control your people. wink.gif
Arethusa
Hey, I like it. Sort of. Ish.

Though I don't know what's going on with x4 designation. What four calibers is it not going to come through with this time?
Raygun
S'what I'm sayin'. 5.56x45mm (done deal), 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm and maybe 6.8x43mm I would guess, but who knows?
SL James
QUOTE (Raygun)
otomik, this x4 shit is getting silly. Control your people. wink.gif

Good God. That's some kind of a photo (the second one).
ShadowDragon8685
I think it just looks shexxy. (My 0.02 nuyen.gif )
otomik
OMG, I want one, I've wanted wanted one when it was the benelli rifle, holy crap.
http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/r1-comfortech.tpl
eek.gif
TheNarrator
I personally think it looks okay. Not that I'm really an expert on such things. Sort of like somebody mated the back end of a Benelli shotgun to the front end of a SA-80. I'd be curious to know more about the rather unique-looking stock, myself.

(I wonder how long before Raygun has stats for it. grinbig.gif )
otomik
QUOTE (Raygun @ Nov 30 2005, 04:16 AM)
S'what I'm sayin'. 5.56x45mm (done deal), 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm and maybe 6.8x43mm I would guess, but who knows?

the four calibers could be one of the calibers it's offered in on the Benelli Rifle
.308, .300 Win Mag, .30-06, .270WSM, .300WSM

and a .22 conversion kit wouldn't be unwelcomed either.

and the Stock (well the whole rifle) is similar to the Marines M1014
Arethusa
Honestly, if anything, it looks like a cross between an M1014 and a Tavor. It's strange, but I kind of like it.
Raygun
QUOTE (otomik)
OMG, I want one, I've wanted wanted one when it was the benelli rifle, holy crap.
eek.gif

Yeah, I like the Benelli rifle, too. Seems pretty handy if you want one rifle that could (potentially) handle all of your hunting needs. But it's a bit pricey compared to the Browning BAR and Remington 7400. If you're not planning on changing out cartridges, it doesn't make much sense. Any of those in .260 Rem with a 20" barrel would make a nice deer/pronghorn rifle (and none of them are made that way!).

the four calibers could be one of the calibers it's offered in on the Benelli Rifle

Well, in the kind of "tactical" package they appear to be hocking the Rx4, .308 and .300 Win Mag would be the most likely out of that group, then maybe .300 WSM. That is if they didn't shrink the action down for the 5.56x45mm rifle. I can't really tell with these pics, but the action still looks pretty beefy to me. Probably gonna be relatively heavy and not-so-reliable if they didn't dedicate an action for intermediates. And tactical rifle + crossbolt safety = bleh. On the other hand, it would be pretty handy if it could handle both 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm well.

*shrug* Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
ShadowDragon8685
Either we understand the meaning of "Browning BAR" differently, or I think you're hunting deer the wrong way, Raygun.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Either we understand the meaning of "Browning BAR" differently, or I think you're hunting deer the wrong way, Raygun.

Shadow, I don't know what the propagandists at The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence have been telling you but fully automatic rifles make hunting deer much easier, particulary due to the ability to penetrate the center mass with a tightly grouped pattern. Head shots ruin the tropy and you can't get a clean one every time, anyway. Center mass shots can miss the heart and lungs even when fired by a trained veternary surgeon. More lead mean more damage and a faster kill.
ShadowDragon8685
Hyzmarca, I'd rather save my full-auto fire for when's it nessessary. Say, when those Brady fucks come to take my guns.

Besides, dosen't using a fully automatic warhawk like a BAR take the fun out of the hunt?
Critias
So you'd rather fire an automatic weapon at a US soldier or law enforcement officer than at a deer.

Oooookay.
ShadowDragon8685
Well, yeah.

You have to clean the deer up once you shoot it, then hault it back to your car, and at the very minimum haul it back to a taxidermist. Ich.

But if there's a full scale civil war going on, might as well aim it at the other guys.

Of course, I'd RATHER just aim it at a very large target paper. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Critias)
So you'd rather fire an automatic weapon at a US soldier or law enforcement officer than at a deer.

That is, after all, the point of the right to bear arms, so yes.

That being said, we're pretty horribly off-topic by now. Relevance to SR, not that the topic had much to begin with?

~J
Fuchs
Hm.... relevance to SR... JCP 2070? Take the current contenders, replace them with SR corps and models, add shadowrunners and the UCAS or CAS military... sounds like a run hook to me.
The shot counter could be some other tech gimmick, with - naturally - a hidden agenda related to some group within the military.
Crusher Bob
wobble.gif There are two different rifles that are refered to as Browning BARs, there is the M1918 a medium weight automatic rifle and the modern BAR which is a reliable semi-automatic rifle chambered in plenty of popular calibers.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
wobble.gif There are two different rifles that are refered to as Browning BARs, there is the M1918 a medium weight automatic rifle and the modern BAR which is a reliable semi-automatic rifle chambered in plenty of popular calibers.

To me, the BAR will always be that big cumbersome weapon that came with a hip worn butt cup so you can let her rip without any pretense of aiming like a good action movie star.

Supposedly, Clyde Barrow could actually hit things while firing a BAR from the hip, but I find that hard to believe.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

Besides, dosen't using a fully automatic warhawk like a BAR take the fun out of the hunt?

No, it makes hunting even more fun just like dynamite does for fishing.
Crusher Bob
Anyone can get a >99% hit ratio while firing from teh hip using the following two easy steps:

1. Using bayonet, anchor weapon firmly in the enemy.

2. Pull trigger.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Anyone can get a >99% hit ratio while firing from teh hip using the following two easy steps:

1. Using bayonet, anchor weapon firmly in the enemy.

2. Pull trigger.

Actually, you'd get a huge TN penality for shooting in melee.
otomik
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (otomik)
eek.gif

Yeah, I like the Benelli rifle, too. Seems pretty handy if you want one rifle that could (potentially) handle all of your hunting needs. But it's a bit pricey compared to the Browning BAR and Remington 7400. If you're not planning on changing out cartridges, it doesn't make much sense. Any of those in .260 Rem with a 20" barrel would make a nice deer/pronghorn rifle (and none of them are made that way!).

Well, in the kind of "tactical" package they appear to be hocking the Rx4, .308 and .300 Win Mag would be the most likely out of that group, then maybe .300 WSM. That is if they didn't shrink the action down for the 5.56x45mm rifle. I can't really tell with these pics, but the action still looks pretty beefy to me. Probably gonna be relatively heavy and not-so-reliable if they didn't dedicate an action for intermediates. And tactical rifle + crossbolt safety = bleh. On the other hand, it would be pretty handy if it could handle both 5.56x45mm and 7.62x51mm well.

*shrug* Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

to be honest I wasn't thinking all the different calibers would be available by just changing that barrels, thats not the case for the Px4 or Cx4. Nothing wrong with the SCAR concept of a light .223 based rifle and a heavy .308 based rifle. Is it a tactical rifle or does it just look like a tactical weapon like a Walther P22? If they really wanted to introduce a tactical rifle they have the excellent AR-70/90, a .223 short stroke gas piston rifle co-developed with the SIG 550, they have civilian versions now that could be imported.
http://www.berettadefence.com/INGLESE/defa...litari70_90.htm

The stated MSRP of 600 dollar makes me think this was intended to go up against the AR-180B, SU-16, various kalashnikovs. When the marketing guys get to the Rx4 is might be advertised as the most comfortable, ergonomic, recoil reducing rifle available and at a fair price. and if it's a hit they can easily make some new Guigaro designed furniture and introduce the .308 model that accepts M14 or FAL mags, then the Shotgun, then the .22 conversion kit and you'd have one gun or a series of guns with the same manual of arms that covers all your longgun needs.
SL James
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
Hyzmarca, I'd rather save my full-auto fire for when's it nessessary. Say, when those Brady fucks come to take my guns.

I fell like I've entered the twilight zone, where the people who run shit constantly feel oppressed by things that will never happen.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Crusher Bob @ Nov 30 2005, 11:35 AM)
wobble.gif  There are two different rifles that are refered to as Browning BARs, there is the M1918 a medium weight automatic rifle and the modern BAR which is a reliable semi-automatic rifle chambered in plenty of popular calibers.

There is also Bushmaster's BAR10, which, judging from Raygun's fondness for 7.62x51mm battle rifles, his fondness for the BAR10, and the fact that it's on his site, is likely what he was referring to.

Let's go back to talking about the right to bear arms! This always ends well for everybody.
Kagetenshi
If anyone comes to take my grafted-on Piasma forelimbs, they're getting one right between the eyes.

~J
SL James
Would that be a bullet or piasma love juice?
Kagetenshi
I was thinking claw, but all three could be the winner.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012