Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When two PCs have it out for each other...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Solstice
Well, my character has the vindictive flaw and the sea madness flaw. Well we were at sea on a research vessel and it became clear that we were dealing with a pissed off water spirit that has killed like 40 people and was attacking us continually. Well character B decided he didn't want to be there anymore and pointed a gun at me and threatened to shoot me numerous times if I didn't fire up the chopper and get him out of there. Being a professional, my character refused until we had finished the job.

I'm trying to decide whether or not my character will bide his time and kill the offending character or just let it slide since Character B is new to running and the player is new to SR and I don't want to do anything to jepardize his playing later on.

How have you handled PC conflicts? Specifically one character plotting to kill another without his knowledge.
Teulisch
If he points a gun at you like that? its just cause for non-criminals to shoot back. do NOT let him do that. warn him ONCE. after that, he does it again, shoot him. its self defense.
Solstice
I did warn him. I'm concerned about the guidelines under the Vindictive flaw. I'm pretty certain that this was a major slight, not even a percieved slight, I think I may be forced to have my character act accordingly in line with the flaw.
blakkie
Ok, i'm a bit puzzled here. Your PC is the one with Sea Madness, and your PC is also the one that doesn't want to leave? How long have you been on the platform?
Solstice
QUOTE (blakkie)
Ok, i'm a bit puzzled here. Your PC is the one with Sea Madness, and your PC is also the one that doesn't want to leave? How long have you been on the platform?

Not long enough for it to kick in, but I figured under extreme duress (ie water spirit attacking me and associate threatening my life) it may play a small factor. Just a thought.
Demon_Bob
I Try to discourage it, but it kinda depends on the players involved.

If player B decides that he doesn't like this character and wants to bring in another one, then does he not concern if the character is killed?
Does the character constantly try to bully others into getting his way?
Is this something the player thinks is ok to do with most of his characters?
Did Character B actually shoot at you?

If not then later in game tell the character that threating someone who kills as part of thier livelyhood is never a good idea. If he does it again, pretend to go along with him for a bit, then ditch him one way or another.
Critias
I'd say a savage beating is in order, a friendly warning afterwards, and leave it be.

I'd also say you claiming your "professionalism" kept you from leaving when YOU were the one with sea madness is pretty lame. It sounds like you're ignoring one flaw (sea madness) to give another flaw (vindictive) the chance to come into play.
Solstice
QUOTE (Critias)
I'd say a savage beating is in order, a friendly warning afterwards, and leave it be.

I'd also say you claiming your "professionalism" kept you from leaving when YOU were the one with sea madness is pretty lame. It sounds like you're ignoring one flaw (sea madness) to give another flaw (vindictive) the chance to come into play.

well if you actually read the Sea Madness flaw you would understand then wouldn't you? nyahnyah.gif

As for the first part of your post I agree only I don't think it's that easy, he would probably beat my arse in melee. I would have to cap him.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Yeah, cap him with a narcojet, THEN dispense said savage beating followed by friendly warning.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice @ Nov 28 2005, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 28 2005, 02:36 PM)
Ok, i'm a bit puzzled here.  Your PC is the one with Sea Madness, and your PC is also the one that doesn't want to leave?  How long have you been on the platform?

Not long enough for it to kick in, but I figured under extreme duress (ie water spirit attacking me and associate threatening my life) it may play a small factor. Just a thought.

It should be playing a very important roll right now. Unless your PC is unaware of the Sea Madness, buddy that wants to leave is very likely to become an ally on the first failed Willpower roll.

P.S. Perhaps you should also do some flaw reading too. If he actually took a shot at you that's a bit different. But you shouldn't be looking to gank him....yet.
SL James
QUOTE (Solstice)
QUOTE (Critias @ Nov 28 2005, 02:48 PM)

I'd also say you claiming your "professionalism" kept you from leaving when YOU were the one with sea madness is pretty lame.  It sounds like you're ignoring one flaw (sea madness) to give another flaw (vindictive) the chance to come into play.

well if you actually read the Sea Madness flaw you would understand then wouldn't you? nyahnyah.gif

What does that mean?
Solstice
QUOTE (blakkie)
It should be playing a very important roll right now. Unless your PC is unaware of the Sea Madness, buddy that wants to leave is very likely to become an ally on the first failed Willpower roll.

From my understanding the Sea Madness flaw doesn't kick in until at least 24 hours at sea with no sight of land. My character was only out there for like 3 hours. So that isn't an issue and I'm now sorry I even mentioned it.

Also IIRC the Vindictive flaw says that the PC will seek revenge for the slightest thing, even a perceived slight.

Please tell me where I'm wrong?
stevebugge
I don't know if the vindicitve flaw madates that you have to kill him in a situation like this, plenty of ways for getting even without just shooting him.

I see where you may want to just let it go if the guy is a newbie and you don't wan't to sour him on the game as a whole, or your group in particular. Probably a good idea to discuss any in gaame retribution outside of character ahead of time. If I were the GM in this particular situation I might enforce the vindictive flaw with persistant annoying but non directly lethal behavior towards the character (up to and including the smearing of Eucalyptus leaves on said char's clothes in Australia)
Demon_Bob
I don't understand how the characters willingness to stay or not comes into play, for his question.

Are these rules on gun safety correct?
Never point a gun at anything that you don't mind putting a hole in.
Always treat a gun as though the safety is off and the gun is loaded.

So character B did not mind putting a hole in character A.
Is someone's willingness to put a hole in you a slight thing?
Why would someone with Vindictive and possibly a gangster style attitude think this is ok? If he lets someone push him around consistantly then he loses face and more people will do it.
Shadowrunners tend to worry about people trying to kill them, why should they put up with it from a teammate?
mmu1
Meh... I don't know whether we'd do it as players, but in principle, the characters in the games I play would take that rather badly. (unless there were some serious extenuating circumstances, or you and the rest of the team had a very solid history together - then you could do it, once)

Best case scenario:

You won't work with us again after this job is over, and we forget we ever knew you.

Worst case scenario:

Game 1 - You get a thermite facial.

Game 2 - Pusher the 10' troll has a go at pulling your limbs off and we give the twitching leftovers to the ghoul rigger named Scavengers.

As far as the Vindictive flaw goes - the description does state that you're allowed to respond proportionately, so simply letting the person know in harsh terms what you'll do to them if they ever screw with you again is fine... Planning to kill them for it is not disallowed by the flaw description, but it's certainly not required.
The Stainless Steel Rat
Eh.... I'm still for drugging him then beating him half to death. Make sure he knows that if there ever is a next time that one of you will die, and the rest of the team has your back on this one.

This way noob doesn't have to spend time making a new character (since you guys won't run with the old one, or the old one is a corpse) and should get the message loud and clear.
Demon_Bob
Personnally I prefer attaching him to a drone blimp without a form of long distance comminication.

GM, " and what do you do character B."
B, "Who is playing in the stadium below me, again?"
GM "the Giants"
B, "oh Great. I guess I watch the game."
Backgammon
QUOTE (stevebugge)
I don't know if the vindicitve flaw madates that you have to kill him in a situation like this, plenty of ways for getting even without just shooting him.

I see where you may want to just let it go if the guy is a newbie and you don't wan't to sour him on the game as a whole, or your group in particular. Probably a good idea to discuss any in gaame retribution outside of character ahead of time. If I were the GM in this particular situation I might enforce the vindictive flaw with persistant annoying but non directly lethal behavior towards the character (up to and including the smearing of Eucalyptus leaves on said char's clothes in Australia)

Seriously, you don't HAVE to shoot him! A hard beating if your character is thug-like and unimaginative, or else you devise a clever plan to put him in a VERY uncomfortable situation... like in the back of a volkswagon.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice @ Nov 28 2005, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 28 2005, 03:06 PM)
It should be playing a very important roll right now.  Unless your PC is unaware of the Sea Madness, buddy that wants to leave is very likely to become an ally on the first failed Willpower roll.

From my understanding the Sea Madness flaw doesn't kick in until at least 24 hours at sea with no sight of land. My character was only out there for like 3 hours. So that isn't an issue and I'm now sorry I even mentioned it.

Er, you miss my meaning. The PC should be well aware of the fact that they might just need PC B to help them flee once they freak out.

Also IIRC the Vindictive flaw says that the PC will seek revenge for the slightest thing, even a perceived slight.

Retribution is in scale with the tresspass. Killing/maiming is given as an example of a response to injuring, but it is also made clear that revenge can include threats or non-lethal violence. It also doesn't say you have to be totally brain-dead stupid about when you do it (see consiquences of Sea Madness flaw above).
Solstice
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 28 2005, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (Solstice @ Nov 28 2005, 02:25 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 28 2005, 03:06 PM)
It should be playing a very important roll right now.  Unless your PC is unaware of the Sea Madness, buddy that wants to leave is very likely to become an ally on the first failed Willpower roll.

Er, you miss my meaning. The PC should be well aware of the fact that they might just need PC B to help them flee once they freak out.

Retribution is in scale with the tresspass. Killing/maiming is given as an example of a response to injuring, but it is also made clear that revenge can include threats or non-lethal violence. It also doesn't say you have to be totally brain-dead stupid about when you do it (see consiquences of Sea Madness flaw above).

Well if someone pointed a gun at me and said they would pull the trigger (and then didn't) I would kill them, and I'm more laid back then my character.

I think I'll figure out a way to get him in an embarrassing/semi-lethal situation on this upcoming run and let the rest of it take care of itself. I just hope he doesn't quit SR because of it. But if he does, I guess that's how it is on the streets biatch. biggrin.gif If you can't stand the heat....
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice)
Well if someone pointed a gun at me and said they would pull the trigger (and then didn't) I would kill them, and I'm more laid back then my character.

Well that certainly clarifies a lot of things.....
Solstice
Nothing like a thinly veiled insult to top off a thread! Yum... lick.gif
Tziluthi
Yeah. A savage beating sounds like the ticket. Either that or you shoot him somewhere non-vital, like a hand or a foot (non-vital as in non-life threatening). Or you could just threaten his life in someway. Or you could hold the grudge and fail to provide life saving assistance next time he needs it.
Solstice
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
Or you could hold the grudge and fail to provide life saving assistance next time he needs it.

Yes indeed. That sounds a bit more like my character.
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice)
Nothing like a thinly veiled insult to top off a thread! Yum... lick.gif

Veiled? It wasn't intended as such. Or should i have because now you plan to track me down and shoot me? indifferent.gif
Solstice
Maybe I read you wrong. I wouldn't shoot you or anyone I was just playin.
blakkie
To be clear:

Someone threatens you and when you still don't do what they demand they don't carry through on the threat. Killing someone for that already is at the upper end, if not beyond the Vindictive flaw. You are trying to play the character as even more vindictive than that? The solution seems pretty clear to me, and it doesn't involve your PC cacking the other PC and hoping the other player gets over it. wobble.gif
FrostyNSO
We had something like that come up...character resolved it by pissing in the offending character's coffee later down the road.

Come to think of it, it's come up twice: The second time a third guy stepped in between the two to break it up and ended up getting his head blown off...if only I could find that thread now.
Solstice
No I think it will be suffcient for me to hire someone to Narc him then drop him off in Redmond preferably near Glow City.
FrostyNSO
Plant some cocaine on him and then rat him out...that'd be hilarious.
Solstice
lol, actually I could rat him out for alot of other things. He has about 12 lbs of C12 at his flat.
FrostyNSO
Well it depends on how you use it. I would probably get him busted for the cocaine and then make sure some people he cares about (wife, kids, girlfriend, contacts) find out about his "drug problem".
Dawnshadow
Knock him out (with anything you want), and dump him on the edge of town with nothing but his pants. Make sure he's aware that it was his only warning-- and next time, you're tossing him off a boat with cement shoes, or in glow city, or ghoultown, or the Ancient's territory with anti-elf slogans tattooed on his chest and face...
pragma
I Strongly recommend that you speak with the offending player and the GM before you do this. If the new player knows he pointed a gun at a twitchy, vindictive character he may chock it up to a mistake and even enjoy going out. If he doesn't he could feel like he's being picked on and quit.

Warning the new kid like this could lead to said new kid trying to metagame his way out of it -- but I trust Solstice is sharp enough to find some method of putting a hole in his head. Everyone needs a rigger now and then.
Backgammon
Hmm, actually this reminds me of the time we had a "liability" shadowrunner with us... he was prone to talking too much to the wrong people and such. So we had our mage totally mind-wipe anything that could incriminate us, then tied him in a car, cast control action on him and made him drive into a police station. And I mean into.

We were kinda loose on rules and stuff there, but it was in good fun and everyone had a good laugh, the PC who got killed off included. I think that's ok.
Dog
Vindictive doesn't always mean violent.

If you do discuss it with the player, discuss it cooperatively. "Wow, crazy move! Gonna be wicked to RP the fallout from that one." Or some such drek. Make it clear that there will be some sort of rivalry or whatever between the characters, but not necessarily the players.
The scene you described could've happened in any buddy cop movie. If you want your character to be vindictive, play it creatively. Use it like the role-playing opportunity it's supposed to be.

One of my favourite RP scenes occured when my orc merc hijacked a truck full of poison gas and threatened to drive it into the Aztech compound because they "disappeard" his S/O. My buddy's elf samurai snuck in and held him at gunpoint in a tense standoff. Years later, they were still ribbing each other over who would've won that.
ShadowDragon8685
Your orc was an idiot.

You use a VCR to drive the suicide truck! DUH!
Dog
I don't know whether to point out that my orc was not a rigger, or that a VCR is not an RC deck. nyahnyah.gif

But you're right, he was an idiot. A gruff lovable idiot with a shotgun in his cyberleg.
Edward
The vindictive flaw is clear, you owe him a cumupins. However it need not be fatal or even involve physical harm.

Edward
mmu1
QUOTE (Edward)
The vindictive flaw is clear, you owe him a cumupins. However it need not be fatal or even involve physical harm.

Edward

Damn... I'm usually not the spelling nazi, but this... rotfl.gif

Comeuppance.

nick012000
As for all the people who have noted that the responce of the Vindictive flaw is proportional to the offense:

It's so good to know that your stereotypical office bitch has the Vindictive flaw. wink.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Edward @ Nov 29 2005, 10:13 AM)

Edward

Damn... I'm usually not the spelling nazi, but this... rotfl.gif

Comeuppance.

1 mis-spelled word in a post by Edward? I'll let it slide. nyahnyah.gif
Drace
To get back at him for holding the gun at you, you could also get an unloaded handgun, and thenext time he's prone, go up to him, and hold the gun to the side of his head, and pull the trigger, and after, tell them that next time it will be loaded.

If anyone knows what movie this is from, they get a cookie.
mmu1
QUOTE (Drace @ Nov 30 2005, 02:20 AM)
To get back at him for holding the gun at you, you could also get an unloaded handgun, and thenext time he's prone, go up to him, and hold the gun to the side of his head, and pull the trigger, and after, tell them that next time it will be loaded.

If anyone knows what movie this is from, they get a cookie.

Well... Don't know about the prone part, but the "next time it will be loaded" bit was in Die Hard II.

I prefer oatmeal raisin.
Sicarius
Mock Executions are always good for teaching lessons.
ShadowDragon8685
Or you can tell the DM you get a clip of blanks (if you can get any where you are,) go into full SGL mode, walk up to him and draw on him, roll out the dice, and have the DM describe the horrific wound he would have had, had the gun been loaded with lead.
Critias
And then get shot. Because, well, that's what happens when you wave a gun at someone and pull the trigger -- by the time they realize they aren't dead, they've likely already reflexively responded to the gun being pointed at them, the sound, the flash, etc, etc; responded by drawing and firing.
mmu1
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Nov 30 2005, 09:15 AM)
Or you can tell the DM you get a clip of blanks (if you can get any where you are,) go into full SGL mode, walk up to him and draw on him, roll out the dice, and have the DM describe the horrific wound he would have had, had the gun been loaded with lead.

You're actually very likely to hurt someone with a gun loaded with blanks - at close range, you're risking mild burns / embedding unburned powder particles in their skin at the very least... At worst, you could kill someone outright. (there was a real-life case - in the late 80s, I think - involving some screwed-up soap opera actor who was flirting with suicide, so he pointed a blank-loaded .357 or .44 revolver at this head at close range and pulled the trigger. The blast sent a circular plug of his skull into his brain, and he died in the hospital.)
MaxHunter
I believe the soap was called "Double Jeopardy" or something like that. (I'm old enough)

Back in the thread I would recommend a player-to player friendly conversation to keep clear that the Vindictive asshole is your character, not yourself.

After that you could do whatever you want. I do prefer non-deadly (and funny) forms of revenge. But be careful, in my experience, sometimes it is dangerous to leave somebody alive after he/she has been horribly humilliated (spelling?).

Cheers.

Max

Drace
Actually I was refering to Blow, when the main character is backstabbed by his best friend, but it is in Die Hard II, so you get an oatmeal raison cookie, check your mail soon.

And for the blanks, there was also the actor Brandon Lee, from the Crow (original). While refilming part of movie, one of the other actors pointed the gun to close to his head, with the result being a section of his temple caving in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012