Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much is a Mp?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
hobgoblin
power of 10 is used in connections, 1 megabit/second means that in one second 1 000 000 bits will pass by.

same deal with hardrives. space if given in megabit or megabyte means space calculated as power of 10, and in the case of byte, divided by 8.

in contrast a os like windows will calculate the capacity based on a power of two and divide by 8 to get the number of bytes (alltho im not sure if thats how windows in reality does it silly.gif).

therefor, if a os reports the capasity of a drive as mega when it should have been reported as mebi you get confusion about why a drive have 200 written on the outside and can only store 180 or even less (yes, some is lost with how the file system works, but that just adds insult to injury in a way).
Aku
there is also variation between each drive as it's manufactured, and so some variance is "accepted" (as in most manufacturing) i beleive the number is about 20% greater or lesser than what the printed package says
hobgoblin
20% can be a lot when one is talking about numbers in the millions or higher frown.gif
Aku
true, but generally, if you've got a 200 Gig HD and 20ish %, you're probably going to buy a package that says 160, and get a friendly bonus.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
power of 10 is used […] with hardrives.

Wrong. It's advertised that way, but if you check a drive's capacity, every operating system I'm aware of will (correctly) report it in power-of-2.

There's actually a lawsuit against hard drive manufacturers in progress for false advertising, and by god I hope it succeeds. This is one of the dirtiest tricks in the tech world, and we've had to put up with it for far too long.

~J
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 5 2005, 01:56 PM)
power of 10 is used […] with hardrives.

Wrong. It's advertised that way, but if you check a drive's capacity, every operating system I'm aware of will (correctly) report it in power-of-2.

but the problem is that atleast windows is still using the mega extension while the correct would be the mebi extension...

There's actually a lawsuit against hard drive manufacturers in progress for false advertising, and by god I hope it succeeds. This is one of the dirtiest tricks in the tech world, and we've had to put up with it for far too long.

not a dirty trick, at best its a missunderstanding between the os creators and the hardrive creators. the use the same extension but one use it to indicate power of 2 while the other indicates power of 10.

the kibi, mebi, gibi stuff have been in place since 1991 atleast...
Kagetenshi
That's incorrect—the "mebi" extension has no validity. The correct extension is "mega".

(And trust me, there's no misunderstanding here. Once upon a time the drive sizes were correct.)

~J
Aku
actually, isnt the consumer problem the fact that they dont know the difference between a Megabit (Mb), or 1 million bits (a single value of 0 or 1), and a Megabyte(MB), or 1 million sets of 8 bits.
hobgoblin
no validity? check the wikipedia link i pointed to. its supported by the major standards groups by the looks of it so how on earth is it not valid?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Aku)
actually, isnt the consumer problem the fact that they dont know the difference between a Megabit (Mb), or 1 million bits (a single value of 0 or 1), and a Megabyte(MB), or 1 million sets of 8 bits.

problem is more that they dont want to know, they just want to compare the numbers on the box with the numbers on the screen and have them line up...
John Campbell
"Kilo-" means 10^3. "Mega-" means 10^6. "Giga-" means 10^9. These are the official definitions, the fact that computer programmers have, for decades, used them to mean 2^10, 2^20, and 2^30, respectively, notwithstanding.

This leaves the hard drive manufacturers in the position of being sued for doing something that is technically correct but contrary to common practice. I can't approve of their reasons for doing it in the first place, which are clearly just so they can put bigger numbers on the packaging, but as a practicing pedant and avowed intellectual elitist, I'm more than a little wary of making that sort of thing legally actionable.

I mean, what's next? Sueing people for insisting that kilograms are mass and weight should be measured in newtons?
The Stainless Steel Rat
newtons?

They're called POUNDS frenchie!!!
Vaevictis
QUOTE (John Campbell)
"Kilo-" means 10^3. "Mega-" means 10^6. "Giga-" means 10^9. These are the official definitions, the fact that computer programmers have, for decades, used them to mean 2^10, 2^20, and 2^30, respectively, notwithstanding.

This leaves the hard drive manufacturers in the position of being sued for doing something that is technically correct but contrary to common practice.

Yeah, the real problem is that hard drive manufacturers started out one way, then switched to the other for dubious reasons after everyone in the industry got used to the first way. Mega/etc as powers of two may be technically incorrect if you look at it from an SI standpoint, but once the industry becomes accustomed to a certain terminology, it's the de facto standard. Mega/etc as powers of two is a precedent lasting for decades. To change it when the HDD manufacturers started changing it (c. 1990, iirc) servers only to confuse and mislead, especially when the rest of their industry stays on powers of two.

As far as the suing them is concerned, the real question is, did they change because the usage was confusing to consumers, or did they change because they could *use* the confusion of consumers to their advantage? If it's the first, okay. If it's the second, well, IMHO, that is and should be actionable.

QUOTE (John Campbell)
I mean, what's next? Sueing people for insisting that kilograms are mass and weight should be measured in newtons?

Well, strictly speaking, as a force, there is no way to convert to mass (to my knowledge). Joules, on the other hand, can be converted using E=mc^2. Please excuse the engineering pedant in me wink.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
Well, strictly speaking, as a force, there is no way to convert to mass (to my knowledge).

You mean between kilos and pounds? F=MA. For relatively constant acceleration (due to gravity on one planet within the atmosphere), F~=M*(a constant). Very easy to convert. Or did you mean something else?
hyzmarca
Binary isn't SI in the same way that Imperial isn't SI.

A drive or disc manufacturer declaring that 1 megabyte is exactly 1,000,000 bytes and using that standard to measure drive capacity is equivilant to a car manufacturer declaring that a mile is exactly 1000 yards and using that standard to measure fuel efficiency.

And weight should be measured in Newtons for SI and ft-lbs for Imperial, it would clear up a lot of confusion.
Crusher Bob
Nope, weight is measure in pounds. The imperial unit of mass is the slug.

So:

1 pound ~ 4.448 Newtons

1 Slug ~ 14.59 kilograms

1 Foot-Pound ~ 1.356 joules
Lindt
Yay for my structures classes and loving the Slug.

John Campbell
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Binary isn't SI in the same way that Imperial isn't SI.

Binary isn't SI in the same way that a fish isn't a grand unified theory. One is a numbering system, the other is a set of units of measurement. They're orthogonal and unrelated. SI is designed to be convenient when used with decimal numbers, but saying that there are 01010 deciliters in a liter or 0x3E8 meters in a kilometer is perfectly legitimate.

A drive or disc manufacturer declaring that 1 megabyte is exactly 1,000,000 bytes and using that standard to measure drive capacity is equivilant to a car manufacturer declaring that a mile is exactly 1000 yards and using that standard to measure fuel efficiency.

No, because "mega-" actually means "10^6". Using it to mean "2^20" is common in the computer industry, but is technically wrong. It's more like if everyone in the map-making industry used 6076-foot nautical miles for measuring distance, because it makes navigation easier, but called them "miles" without actually stating the "nautical" part, and car manufacturers started rating fuel efficiency in miles per gallon using regular 5280-foot miles.

Shady? Maybe. But the car manufacturers are right. The problem originates with the map-makers, who are calling things "miles" when they're not really.

And weight should be measured in Newtons for SI and ft-lbs for Imperial, it would clear up a lot of confusion.

No, as Crusher Bob says, weight (force) should be measured in pounds for Imperial. Foot-pounds are energy.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
For relatively constant acceleration (due to gravity on one planet within the atmosphere), F~=M*(a constant).  Very easy to convert.  Or did you mean something else?

What I was saying is that there really is no (reasonable) way to directly equate mass to force. Acceleration is a very poor constant (universally) as the acceleration due to gravity is an inverse squared relationship (which causes rapid variance with distance), and basically requires you stay in exactly the same relative position with respect to the dominant mass in your life, and that you actually do accelerate at that rate. Things don't tend to do that. Heck, when you walk from one side of the room to the other, your acceleration is constantly changing as you bounce up and down from your gait, or when you first start or stop moving.

It gets even worse when you take relativity into consideration, because F=MA is really only an approximation that is valid from within the same frame of reference. (in reality, it looks like F=(1-v^2)m(1+(1-v^2)^2[v][vt])a where [v] and [vt] are column and row vectors of the velocity)

In other words, F=MA is an approximation of wildly varying accuracy, and so is really not suitable in general for equating force to mass (imo). Even if you decide that it is an acceptable approximation for your purposes, what happens when acceleration within the frame of reference is approximately zero? For example, imagine you're laying down on the ground. You have an acceleration due to gravity towards the earth, but an equal and opposite one from the earth for a net acceleration of zero. Your equation, my friend, blows up as you try to divide by zero. Overall, it's just totally unsuitable as a definition of mass.

With E=mc^2, c is a constant in all frames of reference, and so it is suitable.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
For relatively constant acceleration (due to gravity on one planet within the atmosphere), F~=M*(a constant).  Very easy to convert.  Or did you mean something else?

For example, imagine you're laying down on the ground. You have an acceleration due to gravity towards the earth, but an equal and opposite one from the earth for a net acceleration of zero. Your equation, my friend, blows up as you try to divide by zero. Overall, it's just totally unsuitable as a definition of mass.

Not really. You are missing a small point. When the net acceleration is zero then the net force is 0.

That 0 = 0 isn't exactly a controversial theory.

To determine wieght you have to treat the Force and the Normal Force seperatly.

QUOTE (John Campbell)
Binary isn't SI in the same way that a fish isn't a grand unified theory. One is a numbering system, the other is a set of units of measurement.

Let me rephrase myself to be slearer. Bits and Bytes are not SI units. SI prefix standards do not apply to them.
Vaevictis
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Dec 8 2005, 10:09 AM)
Not really. You are missing a small point. When the net acceleration is zero then the net force is 0.

That assumes that the equation is in the f=ma form, which is a definition of force form. What about when you're in the definition of mass form, which is what we're talking about? f/a=m. The form becomes invalid when you have an acceleration of zero. Even if you assume that force is zero (which it must be per the f=ma form), 0/0 is undefined, so basically, you have a form in which the result is undefined.

The point is, the formula breaks down in enough cases that it is unsuitable as a definition for mass. For a unit definition to be valid, it really should not break down like this.

This is true. But I am talking about mass here, not weight.

... which is probably part of the confusion, because I thought Campbell was also, and on second reading, it appears he is not.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Dec 8 2005, 10:18 AM)

That assumes that the equation is in the f=ma form, which is a definition of force form. What about when you're in the definition of mass form, which is what we're talking about? f/a=m. The form becomes invalid when you have an acceleration of zero. Even if you assume that force is zero (which it must be per the f=ma form), 0/0 is undefined, so basically, you have a form in which the result is undefined.

The point is, the formula breaks down in enough cases that it is unsuitable as a definition for mass. For a unit definition to be valid, it really should not break down like this.

... which is probably part of the confusion, because I thought Campbell was also, and on second reading, it appears he is not.

In the situation where the object is at rest then mass should be undefined. It should be undefined because there is not enough information. Saying that the object at rest says nothing at all in relation to its mass. There exists an object. How massive is it? How the hell should I know?

However, with enough information it is always possible to determine mass from force and acceleration, assumming that the oject does indeed have mass and a force is exerted on it.

Let F be any element of set S = {x| x is a force}
Let a be any element of set R = {x| x is an acceleration}
Let m be any element of set T = {x|x is the mass of an object O}

Let the mapping phi be f(x) = x/a
Let the mapping theta be f(x) = xa
Let the mapping beta be f(x) = xm
Let the mapping delta be f(x) = x/m

T ->theta-> S ->delta-> R ->beta-> S ->phi-> T

Let Fg = Force produced by gravity, Fn = the normal force, Ft = the net force, ag = the acceleration produced by gravity, and m = the mass of the object.

Assume that Fg and Fn are the only forces acting on the object.

Ft = 0

Ft = Fg + Fn

Fn = -Fg

Ft = Fg -Fg

Ft + Fg = Fg

0 + Fg = Fg

Fg = Fg

F = ma

F/a = m

Since Fg is a force it is clearly an element of set S.

Let F = Fg

Since ag is an acceleration it is clearly an element of set R
Let a = ag

Assume that Fg and Ag satatisfy the mappings T ->theta-> S ->delta-> R ->beta-> S ->phi-> T. In other words, assume that Fg and ag were measured correctly.

Fg/ag = m

Therefore, the mass of any object that has mass can be dervied from the formula F=ma so long there is at least one more force acting on an object and only a single force vector is consdiered.

One would have to measure the acceleration and the force either directly or inderectly. Usually, this can be accomplished with a scale and an accelerometer.

Should there not be any forces acting on an object then you would have no choice but to apply a force yourself.
Shrike30
I thought slugs were usually expressed in grains?
Vaevictis
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
{... lots of stuff...}
Therefore, the mass of any object that has mass can be dervied from the formula F=ma so long there is at least one more force acting on an object and only a single force vector is consdiered. 

{... snip ...}

Should there not be any forces acting on an object then you would have no choice but to apply a force yourself.

Yup, pretty much to everything you say. But it's all beside the point. The fact is, if you try to *DEFINE* a mass in terms of f=ma, then you have a problem because the definition BREAKS when you have zero force or zero acceleration. It provides no information. A definition that breaks like that is an unsuitable definition.

E=mc^2 would be a suitable definition, for example. "One cubic decimeter of liquid water" (which is more or less uncompressable, and so the mass is basically constant) is a suitable definition. f=ma is not for the reason above.
The Stainless Steel Rat
HA! WE discuss ballistics, chemistry, physics, and freaking RELATIVITY THEORY!!!

Take THAT crappy D&D Forums!
hyzmarca
E = mc^2 is not a definition. E = mc^2 is a relation. The definition of mass is: A property of matter equal to the measure of an object's resistance to changes in either the speed or direction of its motion.However, I assume that you were speaking of defining an arbitrary unit of measurment for measuring mass.

E=mc^2 is also a function and a mapping.

Specificly, it is a mapping that describes the process of converting matter into energy.

E/c^2 = m is a mapping that describes the conversion of energy to matter.

One can define a unit of mass in terms of these mappings so long as energy and velocity use pre-defined units. Such a definition alone would be problematic simply because it would require causing a nuclear explosion every time you want to know how massive something is. It would also destroy the object you are measuring

Since E=mc^2 is simply a mapping one could use other mappings that are more convient to replicate.

I made one huge mistake in my earlier proof. It was a stupid mistake but one which would clear everything up.

S = {x| x is a force, x=!0}
R = {x| x is an acceleration, x=! 0}
T = {x| x is the mass of an object O, x=!0}

And thus, all is right with the world.

When you define a unit of measurement based on a mapping it is both necessary and trivial to exclude elements which do not satasify the mapping. For our purposes, we can say that the case where a=0 simply does not exist. To be more percise, it does not exist within our sets. If we come across an object at rest we can simply say that it isn't our problem untill someone picks it up and puts it on a scale. If we come across an object floating in space we can say that it isn't out problem untill someone pushes it with a percise amount of force.

It isn't that the object doesn't have mass, it certainly does and it will certainly resist acceleration. It is simply that there is no way to measure its mass without accelerating it or turning it into a nuclear bomb. Again, the former is usually both safer and easier.

The Force mapping is perfectly valid since the zero force does not exist in set S and the zero acceleration doesn't exist in set R.

The issue of defining mass as a cubic decaliter of liquid water is simply that not all matter is liquid water. You would still need to use the force mapping or the nuclear explosion mapping to relate one to the other.

Incidently, the force mapping doesn't break when the force = 0 it simply isn't applicable. Saying that it breaks is like saying that the metric length mapping breaks when you don't have a ruler. If you don't have anything to measure length with then length is undefined. In that way, acceleration is simply a tool used to perform a force mapping just as a ruler is a tool used to perform a length mapping.

Edit -

The force mapping would be broken if it was not injective. Idealy, such a mapping will be bijective. My mistake in not explicitly excluting zero meant that the mapping I gave was one-to-one but it was not onto.
The lack of surjectivity is easily corrected by excluding elements which do not satisfy the mapping. I assumed that an implicit exclusion of zero was enough and I am sorry for that error.

A lack on injectivity, however, would mean that the mapping is truely unsuitable for this purposes of defining a unit. The only choice is to go back to the drawing board. Since functions are injective by nature this won't happen so long as the mapping is a function.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Vaevictis)

I don't care what you talk about as long as you use the right units. My point was just that measuring weight in kilograms is also common, widespread, and wrong.
hobgoblin
but a kilogram is still 1000 grams. therefor sure its the wrong unit to use, but its not the wrong prefix in use. this debate was originaly about using the wrong prefix nyahnyah.gif
John Campbell
It's 1024 grams if you're talking about how much your computer masses!
hobgoblin
silly.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012