Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initiative Passes: Cyber/bio vs VR/astral
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lagomorph
I've been wondering about the descrepency in Initiative Passes for Cyber/Bio characters and VR/astral characters. It seems that all VR and astral characters get locked down at 3 IP, Yet Cyber and Bio can go up to 4 IP. So its possible to be faster in the meat world than in VR or the astral plane? That seems kind of odd to me.

This can lead to other issues, a character with 4 IP, is faster hacking in AR than in VR, would have more actions driving a car than a rigger jumped in, a mage with 4 IP could cast more than if they astrally projected.

I didn't really see this subject touched anywhere in the SR4 forums so I thought I'd bring it up. Is there a balance reason to cap some at 3 and others at 4?

edit:

RunnerPaul mentions here that "Especially since in SR4 all the various Reaction Enhancements and the methods for getting extra init passes do still apply when in control of a vehicle."

does anyone know of a book reference for that?
Azralon
Astral mages with Increase Reflexes running get 4 IPs, yeah?

Looking at the spell description, it really doesn't say if the extra IPs are exclusively physical or not. It could even work in VR, as written.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 30 2005, 12:03 PM)

No, it is a Physical spell. Therefore does not affect a projecting mage. It does affect dual natured, but only because they are using their IP of their Physical plane body.

So its possible to be faster in the meat world than in VR or the astral plane? That seems kind of odd to me.

More actions doesn't nessasarily mean "faster".
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)

No, it is a Physical spell. Therefore does not affect a projecting mage. It does affect dual natured, but only because they are using their IP of their Physical plane body.

Good catch; it's still working for VR, though.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 30 2005, 01:40 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 30 2005, 03:31 PM)

Good catch; it's still working for VR, though.

Yup, it's still working and comes into effect when you concentrate and suppress the VR to act in the meat. However the matrix initiative system overrides your physical initiative while you are acting in VR.

Yes that is incredibily difficult to reconcile with Adepts gaining the benefit of Improved Ability: Technical while VR (or maybe they weren't intended to, i forget the entire string of stuff that allows that, has it been confirmed?)
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
However the matrix initiative system overrides your physical initiative while you are acting in VR.

True, but the spell doesn't say it adds to your physical initative. Just your initiative (if you're a physical target).
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 30 2005, 01:59 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 30 2005, 03:50 PM)
However the matrix initiative system overrides your physical initiative while you are acting in VR.

True, but the spell doesn't say it adds to your physical initative. Just your initiative (if you're a physical target).

Physical inititative is implied. Maybe, but I doubt very much it was intended to include the Matrix initiative. *shrug*
Azralon
QUOTE (blakkie)
implied

A dangerous word.
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Nov 30 2005, 04:11 PM)
implied

A dangerous word.

Yet extremely important. smile.gif

Seriously, do you really think that 3 IP were allocated with the intention of having it augmented with Increase Reflexes? You get the 3 IP because you ditch all the goodies (wires, bio, powers, spells).
FrankTrollman
Regardless, Technomancers can get a 4th IP in VR if that's what they want to do (hint: it is).

-Frank
Azralon
What I'm saying is that one man's "implied" is another man's "assumed."

SR4 is so full of holes that I, for one, don't take things for granted anymore. Look at Mystic Adepts and spell Force caps; the RAW seemed to imply one thing, and a developer stated the opposite.

I'm not asserting that Increase Reflexes needs to be able to speed up VR actions. I'm saying that the RAW, through either intentional design or poor wording, suggests that it can. For that matter the RAW implies you can cast the spell on a drone as long as you hit the Threshold.
blakkie
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Regardless, Technomancers can get a 4th IP in VR if that's what they want to do (hint: it is).

-Frank

Overclocking good! smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 30 2005, 03:02 PM)
What I'm saying is that one man's "implied" is another man's "assumed."

SR4 is so full of holes that I, for one, don't take things for granted anymore.  Look at Mystic Adepts and spell Force caps; the RAW seemed to imply one thing, and a developer stated the opposite.

I'm not asserting that Increase Reflexes needs to be able to speed up VR actions.  I'm saying that the RAW, through either intentional design or poor wording, suggests that it can.  For that matter the RAW implies you can cast the spell on a drone as long as you hit the Threshold.

Yes, you can twist the reading of the RAW to have them influence VR. I suggest that if you find yourself in a room with someone that insists that they do you rip off their arm and use it to beat them to death. The gaming world, and perhaps even the world at large, will be made a much better place for it. smile.gif

Now, to fix up my sig.....
Azralon
ohplease.gif
Lagomorph
QUOTE (blakkie)

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic on that, can you explain your reasoning blakkie?
blakkie
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Nov 30 2005, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (blakkie)

I'm afraid I don't follow your logic on that, can you explain your reasoning blakkie?

Raw speed doesn't always mean extra actions. The extra action can come from more effeciency in your actions than actual speed. Also the faster travel rate of astral doesn't nessasarily translate to always having more, or at least as many, actions.

Another example are Trolls compared to other metahumans. Faster movement rate, on average later to act, and given same gear they have the same number of IPs.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
RunnerPaul mentions here that "Especially since in SR4 all the various Reaction Enhancements and the methods for getting extra init passes do still apply when in control of a vehicle."

does anyone know of a book reference for that?

When the subject first came up, it was more of a case of not ever finding any book reference that said that they don't.

After explicit declarations of what doesn't count when operating a vehicle in the previous three editions, the curious absence of any such prohibition in SR4 appears to be a philosophy change for the new edition.
FrankTrollman
...Although it does seem like your Astral Stats should apply while in VR, it never says that anywhere.

-Frank
blakkie
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
...Although it does seem like your Astral Stats should apply while in VR, it never says that anywhere.

-Frank

Ya, it has all this fluff about being cut off from your meat, and that your physical initiative is replaced (replacing Reaction attribute with your commlink Responce). But it doesn't bother to mention the general substituting of mental for physical Attributes. frown.gif Although that might be partially because it is rare that Attributes, much less physical Attributes, are used in a dice pools in VR. The only case for physical Attributes seems to be when "jumped in" to a vehicle.

Not that that is directly related to Paul's original statement since he was talking about driving without VR.
Azralon
QUOTE (Azralon @ Nov 30 2005, 05:02 PM)
For that matter the RAW implies you can cast the spell on a drone as long as you hit the Threshold.

I will now illustrate the merits of citing reference material. Emphasis mine, and self-correction mine.

QUOTE (SR4 p172 sidebar)
Health spells affect the condition and performance of a living body. They can be used to treat or heal injuries, purge poisons or toxins, and to increase or decrease attributes.

Since Increase Reflexes is a Health spell and a drone is not a living body, it does not apply.

There's still a grey cloud of "iffy" around VR use, though. If you subscribe to the idea that the spell will speed up your mind to keep up with your accelerated body, then it seems like it'd apply (for instance, you can now Observe in Detail more times per second). However, if you believe that the spell works on only your meat or it's actually the commlink making the actions, not you... then it wouldn't apply.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (blakkie)
Raw speed doesn't always mean extra actions. The extra action can come from more effeciency in your actions than actual speed.  Also the faster travel rate of astral doesn't nessasarily translate to always having more, or at least as many, actions.

Another example are Trolls compared to other metahumans.  Faster movement rate, on average later to act, and given same gear they have the same number of IPs.

The problem is though, that there are different maximums for different character types, riggers have a 3 maximum, technomancers can get 4, bio or cyber users can get 4, mages astrally only get 3, but mages physically can get 4. Is there anyway to explain or solve this difference?

Looking over my book (now that its with me), it seems that "the speed of thought" is only 3 IP
QUOTE (SR4 p. 184)
In astral space, free of the concers of the body, the magician moves at the speed of thought.
Because astral forms move so quickly, they recieve 3 Initiative Passes per Combat Turn

QUOTE (SR4 p. 229)
When you are fully immersed in virtual reality you operate at the speed of thought.
Hot sim Matrix Initiative equals your Respones + Intuition + 1, and you recieve two extra Initiative Passes (for a total of three).

So does this mean wired 3 makes you act more often than the speed of thought?
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

Wired doesn't enchance one's reactions so much as override them. A Wired character is, on a very basic level, controled by computer. This is why wired characters tend to kill fast moving children and people who hold their credsticks the wrong way if they don't have a reflex trigger.
blakkie
QUOTE (Lagomorph)

Yes, you act more often than your concious thought. smile.gif Which is also what Technomancers apparently do since they can get their 4th IP through immersion, as can anyone spending a point of Edge. *shrug*
PlatonicPimp
And remember that, even if you spend edge, you can never gain more than 4 IP. So for a little bit those 3 IP people can up it.

I'm actually more concerned about the opposite effect: the hackers and riggers effectively get 3 IP for FREE. Mages have to sustain a spell, sammies and adepts ahve to pay for the powers, but them riggers, technomancers and hackers get it just for logging in.

There seems to be such a general proliferation of extra inititive passes everwhere that I'm a little put off that everyone acts at faster than human speeds.
TheHappyAnarchist
Mages can also just project.

Of course all of the above are fairly limited in what they can do to lay the smack down.
Aladar
So you are saying that a person on the physical plane, augmented or not, is going to be capable of moving faster then the speed of thought. That basically any non astral, or non Jacked person is automatically precognisent. That's crap. IF anything it should be the exact opposite, and nothing in the physical realm should be capable of moving that fast.

This is either a balance choice that basically ignores the reality of the game, or it is broken and needs to be corrected.
blakkie
QUOTE (Aladar @ Dec 2 2005, 05:27 PM)
So you are saying that a person on the physical plane, augmented or not, is going to be capable of moving faster then the speed of thought.  That basically any non astral, or non Jacked person is automatically precognisent.  That's crap.  IF anything it should be the exact opposite, and nothing in the physical realm should be capable of moving that fast.

This is either a balance choice that basically ignores the reality of the game, or it is broken and needs to be corrected.

You used the Bad Word. smile.gif That is exactly what i was trying to get at, thinking of the extra IP in terms of "faster". I think you even demonstrated what i was trying to get at much better than i did. By putting the word "moving" in front of it you show the use of "faster" that i saw as the trap of falling into.
nick012000
Well, if you've got 4 IP's you've got so much magic or cyber moving through you, you're probably operating in Matrix-the-movie-style bullet time. You think faster, so you move faster.
hyzmarca
Inititiave passes have never been equivilant to physical speed. Wired doesn't make you run any faster. Instead, they corospond to reaction time, the time required for a character to assess the situation and make a judgment about what action to take.

In self defense training one usually strives to learn to act and react without conscious thought. One can attain this through rigorous training and drilling untill a desired response become purely reflexive.

Wired reflexes work on the same principal, only insted of training to make a reaction instinctive they have a computer react for you. The synpatic accelerator, on the other hand, increases the speed at which situational data can be processed allowing for quicker decision making.
Lagomorph
I'd still say there is a physical speed associated with IP, it doesn't make you run faster, but it is still a number of units per time. Which be it Hertz or Meters Per Second, is still a speed. In this case, its actions per combat turn.

So, semantics aside. Does anyone feel that it pose a game balance issue to allow a spell and piece of cyber that would allow "Speed of Thought" characters a 4th IP? If such an ability were to exist, what stats and restrictions would you place on it.
BlackHat
QUOTE (Lagomorph @ Dec 4 2005, 04:57 PM)
So, semantics aside. Does anyone feel that it pose a game balance issue to allow a spell and piece of cyber that would allow "Speed of Thought" characters a 4th IP? If such an ability were to exist, what stats and restrictions would you place on it.

I wouldn't be overly worried about it, as a GM. Keep in ming that Wired-3 is like 100,000-200,000 nuyen (depending on whether or not the PC wants to sac 5 or 4 essence). Given that, a character PLAYER going in this direction is going to be severly limited with what he makes with the rest of his nuyen and essence. A character making that many actions in a round arn't going to be able to do a whole lot with them. smile.gif

I would sort of want to allow astral mages or VR hackers to use their spell/cyberware initiative if it is better, but I am not sure if that's how the rules work. For magic, I sort of am okay with the idea that a mage with a "speed" spell on can act more often than a mage without one (on the astral). Same thing goes for Cyber. A hacker in full VR with a 100 grand of "processing" cyberware back home should have some advantage over a hacker whos moving at the speed of his (relativly slow) meat-brain.

In my mind, the main problem with this was the original definition of 3 IPs = "speed of thought", which is really only a necessity because of the Astral Plane. In my opinion, the Matrix could be (re)defined as "information flying at the speed of thought, minus meat-brain lag". For the astral plane, I think I would have a harder time with this.

Anyways, like I said, I can deal with it, but as a DM I think I would play doen the 3 IPs = speed of thought, and maybe try playing up the Wired-3 = computer controling most of your actions/reactions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012