Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why shouldn't I buy SR4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Critias
Hahahahhahaha, once again your razor wit cuts to the quick! Hahahahahha, ohh, blakkie, you're so clever! Hahahahahahahahaha!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Adarael)
Also, it's cold-hewn from the bones of stillborn puppies.

Oh, so that's where the leather of the limited edition comes from.
mfb
blakkie, your original link was to a post of yours questioning Ellery's use of the word 'linear'. i replied, for her, proving that her use of that word was perfectly legitimate (facts!). instead of saying "oh, huh, i guess i was mistaken about her use of the word 'linear'", you decided that somehow, her posts were off-topic, or something, and charged me to link them to the original post in the thread you'd linked. and, jesus god in heaven, when i tell you that the original topic has nothing to do with either our discussion or this thread as a whole, you bring up james.

seriously, is this some sort of pathological thing for you? maybe you're just smarter than everyone else, or maybe these links between these concepts you skip around to are wholly non-existant. i know where my money is.
Bull
Knock it off.
mfb
christ, i'm doing it again. i need to just stop posting in threads that blakkie posts in, period.

recap and i-hope-to-god end of sidetrack: ellery knows more about math than most of the rest of yous louses combined, and she links to people who know even more than herself. click and read for facts on what makes game systems tick, and why some tick better than others.
emo samurai
I've never played SR3 before, but I've heard that its decking rules are horribly bloated. Same with rigging. Is this accurate? And is it that much faster in SR4?
Aku
SR3's decking and rigging are definately.... complex, im not so sure of "bloated", atleast not as how i think of it.

Don't even get me started on the vehicle creation rules.
Azralon
So, back to topic:

SR3 had a very flexible system due to core design as well as the copious amounts of expansion material that got published. However, at some point if you apply enough extra bells and whistles to any system then the whole thing starts just getting more noisy than musical.

I'm hoping that SR4's expansion material will bring the new edition back up to something approaching that flexibility without adding inconvenient complexity. As a systems designer/coder IRL I'm all about having simple-yet-flexible core functionality and then tacking on modular add-ons. So that hope I mentioned above might be just a naive pipe dream on my part.
hyzmarca
Some people love rigging and decking some people hate them.

Going by the core rules, decking isn't that bloated it is just different. The real problem is that decking during a run is its own minigame and one which only deckers can participate in. The GM has to take time away from the other characters to run the decker's experience. SR4 tries to aliviate this with AR, but the basic problem is still there.

Vehicle rules are, i nmy opinion, marred by vehicle stats. Veheile stats are just hard to keep track of. They try to model too may varriables and model none accuratly.
Azralon
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
SR4 tries to aliviate this with AR,  but the basic problem is still there.

It's definitely less annoying now. Used to, Matrix activity could derail the game for minutes or hours at a time. Now it's more of a series of constant small interruptions. Particularly if your hacker has a low patience threshold. smile.gif

QUOTE (Sample Gaming Transcript)
GM: "The Johnson leans back after presenting the offer, and waits patiently for your response."

Face: "Okay, I smile and say...."

Hacker: "Hey, I'm tapping into the Johnson's commlink."

GM: "Okay, make your roll. What were you going to say, Face?"

Face: "Uh, I was going to say 'We accept the terms, but will need double the offered wages.'"

Hacker: "Three hits. Keep going?"

GM: "Yeah, keep going.  The Johnson shrugs amiably and says..."

Hacker: "Two more, total of five.  Keep going?"

.... It could be just a matter of our hacker reveling in his newfound simultaneity. cool.gif
=Spectre=
I've played several SR3 Riggers. And throughout them all, one thing is true: the rules just do not work in combat in a game. Like Decking, Rigging under combat turns into a horrid lateral mathematics contest to keep track of mods, speed, direction and distance. Add in enemies, who can fire and who can't, and THEIR Mods, and combat can take an hour per turn just by maintaining the vehicle chase.

Just doing a light glance over of the combat in vehicles in 4th ed, I think they managed to successfully gut the fat out of them. Passengers don't get mods based on the driver anymore, range isn't tracked to the meter anymore, and more GM judgement calls are allowed.
mfb
SR3 decking and rigging are definitely complex. "bloated" is, i think, not too strong a term, despite the fact that i love decking and am comfortable with rigging (if not with the vehicle combat rules). that's one thing that SR4 definitely has in its favor--the decking rules, at least, are fast and fun. rigging i didn't look too closely at, and i wasn't greatly pleased with the vehicle rules when i glanced over them. the vehicle rules at least seemed playable, unlike SR3.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Azralon @ Dec 6 2005, 07:39 AM)
.... It could be just a matter of our hacker reveling in his newfound simultaneity.  cool.gif

I think what you've really illustrated here is that the SR4 Matrix is much more integrated into the rest of the game than SR3's Matrix was, which is a very good thing. It used to be that cracking could only be done on secured, monolithic Hosts. You cimply couldn't just crack open the Johnson's Psec and take a look inside, or crack a nearby traffic signal to let you through and cause an accident behind you to stop the mobsters chasing you. There wasn't really rules for either. Now this kind of thing is much easier, as everything is small and modular. What I'm getting at is it's not the system itself that's making decking easier to run in-game, but the flavor text and implementation.

I'm of the opinion that the SR3 decking rules--the actual mechanics, not the in-game implementation--get a bad rap. Just stringing together dice-rolls the system worked out all right. You needed a bit of ad0hockery to get everything to work, but then the SR4 rules are even worse in this regard, as so many possible actions aren't even defined well under the new system.

The problem was the design of the SR1-3 Matrix. Everything was based on the 80s idea of network computing: gigantic file and application servers that handled all the real work, and terminals and little personal comps that had to manually jump from server to server. It made for a game where all computing had to be tethered to these giant room-sized server farms, and all decking needed to be through that superstructure. Only in the furthese extremes of SR3 did anyone ever bother building up host stats for a home telcom, and noone ever made server stats for the average Psec. Small things, by the rules, simply couldn't be hacked individually.

But, like the castle-based fortifications of medieval times, and the death of trench warfare in favor of mobile armor in WW2, that system has slowly but surely been dying, replaced by lots and lots of mobile computers. And so, in parallel, so has the system in SR. The age of wearable computing and wireless changed the way we see computing now, which changed the way the devs see computing in 2070. It's that change, I think, that makes the SR4 Matrix much more player-friendly than any change in the mechanics, though I suppose streamlining didn't hurt anything.

That said, it's a bit unfortunate that we don't yet have expanded rules for performing those complicated hacks that were involved in cracking a huge secured system. Having a complex, interwoven system for the decker to slice through would be a welcome addition, IMO, especially for those who still want to play the guy who sits in the back of the van and actually decks. That sort of system would open certain avenues for intrusion and gameplay the current paradigm is lacking, in particular the reopening of massive sculpted systems, which are fun if done well. But if we had to have one and not the other, I'm glad SR4 has the small modular system first; the later I'm willing to wait to see in Unwired (hopefully).

(NOTE): I absolutely loathe calling the SR4's version of deckers "Hackers". What they do is not in any way hacking--the proper term is "cracker", but given the SR4 rules it's more accurate to call them "script kiddies". nyahnyah.gif This is especially true given the fact that actually programming your own suite of "hacking" programs is so time-consuming that in practical terms no "hacker" will ever be able to write even a significant fraction of their own code.
TheHappyAnarchist
Essentially there is problems with both of them.
The core mechanics in both have probability issues. Where one point of TN can make a major or nonexistant difference in SR3 or where talented characters always succeed and easily in SR4, while less talented often critically fail.
On the other hand, I kind of like how in SR3 the difficulty mods are harsh until you get to 6, then you get a bit of break till 9 where it is still in the difficult but not impossible. Then it just gets more and more difficult as you go along.
In SR3, rigging was a major clusterfrag, decking was slow and annoying.
In SR4, decking flip flops the rules in a strange way (skill program as opposed to attr skill, limited by program like magic.)
In both, magic is a virtually unlimited power level, and as you go along in Karma magic users begin to surpass every other kind of character. It is worse in SR4 though, as in SR3 once you got Will 6 and Body 6, magic had a much more difficult time affecting you. It still would smash the crap out of you if the mage had Force 6 spells though. They would just have to pay for it. In SR4, even those high levels will get blown through by a better than average mage without even trying.

There are issues with both. My main problem is they went from a completely unique system that was gritty and painful, where wounds really hurt and difficult tasks were really difficult, to a system that was just like a variety of other systems and had very few actual reasons to switch to it.

Can anyone explain why the switch to attribute + skill fixed TN? It doesn't make things simpler by itself. Especially with thresholds. That gives two ways of modifying the pool. In SR3, modifiers to your pool came from the character in one of two forms. Bio or cyberware/magic or the pools. The GM gave the modifiers to TN and if necessary, extended tests. He gave you the target number, you decided how much pool and you rolled.
It could likely be made simpler.
I guess you pick up your characters pool which will always be the same, choose to use edge or not and then the gm subtracts however much from your pool and gives you the potential threshold and you roll it.
The thing I liked about SR3 is that you controlled your pool and the GM controlled the TN. Seemed simpler that way even if SR4 has less steps.
Apathy
In SR3, your chances of success were based on the number of dice rolled, and the target number. Changing the number of dice rolled had a linear impact on your probability of success, and changing the TN had a geometric impact on your success.

In SR4, your chances of success are also based on 2 variables: the number of dice rolled and the threshold. Changing the number of dice rolled has a linear impact on your probability of success. Changing the threshold also has a linear impact, but is 3x more significant than just adding a die (i.e. 50% chance of 1 success with 3 dice, takes 6 dice to get 50% chance of 2 successes.)

To me the SR3 engine was significantly more comlicated than SR4. (Quick-without looking at the calculator- do you have a better chance of success rolling your Car 2 skill against a TN of 3, or defaulting to your Reaction 10 attribute against a TN 7?) Maybe I'm just slow, but it takes me a sec to figure out.

Also, because a +1 TN doesn't mean the same thing at TN 2 as it does at TN9, it can really lead to situations that model reality in ways that are less than ideal. (Personal opinion here, feel free to disagree).

On the other hand, SR4 can be more arbitrary. Difficulty is left entirely up to GM discression, so I can imagine whiny players arguing "What do you mean that's an extreme task? It should have been just difficult!" It can sometimes be easier to support TN calculations in SR3 (base 4, add 2 for smoke, minus 2 for SmartLink, add 3 for range, add two for target moving, final TN 9...)

In my mind, both systems have their shortcomings, but either one is reasonably workable and can do a good enough job of predicting probability so that it doesn't have to detract from game play.
Critias
Car 2, depending on what you're doing (IE, do you need more than 2 potential successes?). Similarly, if you've got karma to spend on rerolling failures, the Reaction 10 is a better deal.

Oh, sorry, what? There was some other conversation going on.
=Spectre=
To expand on Apathy's point regarding arbitrariness, one of the biggest problems I've heard from SR GM's, is that either they have to do a lot of detail wok to flesh out simple npc's and combat, or have to have the books almost memorized by rote to improvise, mainly because of SR3's interconnected web of stats. Moreover, it takes a lot of creativity to prevent players from reverse engineering an NPC's stats after seeing a few rolls.

SR4 has changed that somewhat. Yes, they are using elements from other systems. But those elements also give GM's a lot more flexibility wihtout having to dive into countless books looking for the mod to a roll.

The biggest hurdle for SR has always been the same: finding a competent GM, willing to spend hours working on a game session to document and plan out the whole thing, week after week. SR4 is a giant step in making the game more accessible to GM's. It puts a lot more free-form control in their hands, without forcing them to rely on the obscure rules that might be found on some website, or one they had to come up with
Pendaric
I have been gaming long enough to see multiple re-releases from various established lines, here's my take.
The streamlined system and basic newness of the system will open the game up to new blood who no longer look and see a minimum of five books before they can feel like they have everything. Been plenty of times I've bitched about the clunkyness of the machanics for SR3.
However SR3 has been really well road tested.
You just carn't get the playtesting equal to a couple of million devious fraggers (I include myself in this number) to destruction test a system.
It ain't perfect but we know the kinks, the rattles and stalls so its comfortable and streamlined for our use.
FanPro's gotta make a profit, fair enough. They seem to have done a good job with SR4.
Personaly I spent the last three years and too much money,(now in FanPro's possesion) to run my game smooth and out manoeuvre my players in the SR3 system. After over a decade of play I can wait a few more years to pick up a worked through system.
Do the math and make a your choise. spin.gif
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie @ Dec 6 2005, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 6 2005, 04:11 AM)
And, blakkie, trust me.  James isn't playing SR4.

Oh, so then it's because he's OCD as well? grinbig.gif

Something like that.

Although my SR4 book is currently being used in an experiment while I keep playing SR3.
mfb
so that's why you wanted all those assorted organs and limbs from the morgue. you're mad. mad!
Critias
I was all for it when he was "experimenting" by trying to add a brain to SR4, but I really don't see what all those arms and guns and more arms and more guns need to be attached for!
SL James
Oh, no. That's something else... er, I mean. What are you talking about?

My copy of SR4's being used in a behavioral psych experiment.
Shrike30
As a GM, I'm liking what I'm seeing in SR4.

How many of you out there preferred to have an NPC decker? How many of you, in order to keep gameplay rolling and avoid the rest of the crew going out for pizza, would just have your decker make a Computer (X) roll (or even an open check) and improv what happened from there?

How many of you out there chopped rigging down to a basic Drive modded by terrain/damage/what-have-you check, rather than bothering to dig into the rigging book and break out the *enormous* tables of modifiers every time the rigger wanted to do something stylish?

The wheelman and the decker, both pretty important members of a group, had *so many* ugly rules associated with them that I always felt I was trading off between short-changing them on their experience or grinding the game to a halt when an opportunity to involve all of their rules came about. Magic had some complicated stuff, but most of the time-consuming parts could be handled during downtime (spell design, intitiation, etc) or on the "client-side" by the player. Shooting, martial arts, facework and networking were all relatively easy to deal with on my end. As a GM, I've got X players (usually 5 or so) that I'm wrangling, and so when a particular player "class" starts eating up a much bigger chunk of my time and effort than 1/X for systemic reasons, I start getting annoyed. NPC deckers (and drivers, for that matter) are a fairly common phenomena with the SR3 groups I've played in and GM'ed for, and it's not because people don't want the job... it's because the job is a pain in the ass to do.

SR4's die mechanic is simple to implement. Player digs up his pool, decides whether or not he wants Edge, adds/subrtracts dice equal to modifiers, rolls, and hits on a 5+ (rerolling if Edge was used, instead of all the damn time). GM takes number of hits, and either opposes it with a similar check or subtracts threshold to determine net hits. Quick, clean, and while it has some statistical oddities, it's really nothing compared to the curve shift in SR3.

And I'll be honest... I like the new damage system a lot more than the old one. No more of this massive fear of a flesh wound or a pimp slap giving you a single point of damage and massively skewing your rolls for the next chunk of time. Armor feels like it's more effective at keeping you in one piece, now that it can stage things down to Stun. Damage figures on weapons have shifted around enough that carrying something like a light pistol no longer screams "I'm trying for style, but can't actually hurt someone in a fight," and players don't find themselves gravitating towards the heavy pistol as the go-to gun of the system, now that low-end recoil is more manageable and rifles actually go through armor better than a 10mm handgun.

A lot of the stuff that got house-ruled or ignored in SR3 to make it playable and enjoyable seems to have been altered or removed in SR4. Comparing SR4's sole release (the BBB) to the comprehensiveness we had in SR3 after it's major supplements (Rigger, Matrix, Cannon Companion, SR Companion, etc) were released is kind of unfair... you're looking at 1-2k pages worth of game rather than the 350 or so in the SR4 BBB. When I compare SR3's main book to what I get from SR4's, I'm quite happy with the change... and while I'm looking forwards to having the supplements, I feel like I've got more than enough in my hands to give *all* of my players a good game, even the ones who want to drive or deck.
Azralon
QUOTE (Shrike30)
How many of you out there preferred to have an NPC decker?

Yo.
TheHappyAnarchist
QUOTE (SL James)

More info please.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
christ, i'm doing it again. i need to just stop posting in threads that blakkie posts in, period.

Oh, you are definitely doing IT....again. IT being misunderstanding to start with and then pissing on me for something i didn't do. Even when it is explained that you missed the subject to start with, and you are given more information to straighten it out.

How much effort did you put into reading that thread before you came to the conclusion that the second post linked wasn't the about the same subject first post linked? You didn't notice the mention of an "example" in the first post linked? I posted the second link to try help you grasp the question, because, hey, it can be hard trying to pick up a long discussion in an old thread.

Yes, i support you not replying to my posts....until you are able to stop doing IT. Not just because Bull is pissed off, but because it is a waste of my time (and yours, and anyone foolhardy enough to follow) getting past the mounds of detritus left in the wake of your obscuring prejudices and/or your lack of reading comprehension.

recap and i-hope-to-god end of sidetrack: ellery knows more about math than most of the rest of yous louses combined, and she links to people who know even more than herself. click and read for facts on what makes game systems tick, and why some tick better than others.

Recap: There are flaws in Ellery's interpretations when translating to the math, and even deeper ones coming back from the math. When it's garbage in and garbbled out the accuracy of the middle part is mostly irrelavent to the only faint hope of getting a useful result, luck. rotfl.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (eidolon @ Dec 5 2005, 11:39 PM)
But they will be!  And people will buy them in droves!  Spend...SPEND!!!  SPEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!

Wait a tic.  I think I morphed into the CEO of Hasbro/WotC and GW at the same time there for a second. biggrin.gif

I could tell the difference though, you didn't spit partially chewed caviar over the railing of the 84th floor executive lounge patio onto the people lined up to buy your products. cool.gif
FrankTrollman
To recap:

Ellery's primary complaint was that people had a noticable chance of failing on "easy tasks" if they sucked. His favorite example was people who had a dice pool of 2, which he compared to characters in SR3 with a dice pool of 2. This despite the fact that a character in SR3 with a dice pool of 2 has an actual skill of 2, and a character in SR4 with a dice pool of 2 has no skill at all.

So a normal human in SR3 with no skill is forced to default to an attribute, which means that the "easy task" (TN 2) is now TN 6, and he rolls 3 dice and fails 42% of the time.

A normal human in SR4 with no skill also has to default, which gives her a base dice pool of 2. The task is easy, so she gets 4 dice, and therefore she can buy a hit unless there is some kind of danger or distraction.

So Ellery's claims about the effects of easy tasks on unskilled people was completely false. Ellery's complaints about the ease of profoundly difficult tasks performed by extremely talented people is harder to evaluate. Certainly in SR3 it took six times as many dice to reliably succeed for every +6 TN, while in SR4 it takes 6 more dice to reliably succeed for every -6 dice pool penalty. :shrug:

---

That being said, blakkie is still being an asshole, even though his basic premise that Ellery was consistently using obfuscatory apples/oranges comparisons in the math to demonstrate points is completely true.

I don't give a crap about the tool kit/tool shed analogy being thrown around, it honestly doesn't mean a thing on close inspection. The fundamental fact is that SR3 has more rule books published for it than SR4 does. I have faith that the rules presented in Unwired will be more playable and comprehensible than the rules in Matrix 3 or Rigger 3. But those rules do not yet exist. Therefore it comes largely down to people who would rather have extremely convoluted rules they could barely understand than have no rules at all - and that's reasonable. I found that mostly people ad hocced the rules in Rigger 3, so I don't personally see the benefit. But I could see how one might.

-Frank
blakkie
Those aren't the only things Ellery asserted, and to be fair they aren't all totally lacking merit. But largely Ellery didn't, for whatever reason, shake the variable TN mould her mind was in, and fixed TNs don't work well when you try use them like variable TNs.

QUOTE (Franktrollman)
That being said, blakkie is still being an asshole, even though his basic premise that Ellery was consistently using obfuscatory apples/oranges comparisons in the math to demonstrate points is completely true.

Yes, i'm being extremely blunt at this point. I have little compasion left to show to mfb, and even less patience after months of IT.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
A normal human in SR4 with no skill also has to default, which gives her a base dice pool of 2. The task is easy, so she gets 4 dice, and therefore she can buy a hit unless there is some kind of danger or distraction.

The general difficulty of a task translates into threshold - where do those 2 bonus dice come from?
blakkie
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 6 2005, 02:07 PM)

More info please.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

The general difficulty of a task translates into threshold - where do those 2 bonus dice come from?

Ellery's big comparison showed a skill of 2 against a TN of 2 against a dice pool of 2 in SR4. Those aren't the same thing at all.

The TN of 2 comes from having a -2 TN modifier, which is equivalent to having a +2 (or higher) dice pool modifier in SR4.

A dice pool of 2 generally only happens in SR4 if you are defaulting.

---

So a more logical comparison would be a character defaulting in SR3 vs. a character defaulting in SR4 (3 dice vs. TN 8 or 2 dice vs. TN 5), or to compare a character with a low skill (probably about a skill of 1 in SR4) vs. a character with low skill (2 dice vs. TN 2 or 4 dice vs. buying a frickin hit in SR4).

It was not a well thought out comparison. Not because the math was inaccurate, but because Ellery didn't actually learn enough of the system to compare similar characters and similar actions before setting up the math.

-Frank
eidolon
Quick note: Not everyone dissects their game until all they have left is an overblown math problem.

As to "easy tasks", what is it that you're calling "easy". I know in our game, if it's "easy" and your character doesn't have an IC reason for not being able to do it, he/she can.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
It was not a well thought out comparison. Not because the math was inaccurate, but because Ellery didn't actually learn enough of the system to compare similar characters and similar actions before setting up the math.

In fairness, she didn't actually have the rules in front of her at the time because that really wasn't possible. Her comparisons were all being made in the absense of actual facts, as very few were being made available to the general public in the months leading up to SR4's release. Further, those that were were often so vague and misleading that drawing comparisons was very nearly an excersize in futility.

That said, Ellery did make her point that the exponential increase in difficulty inherent in a variable-TN system made for some interesting combinations. I still think it's possible to create a good system that can iron out the quirks in SR3's TN system (TN6==TN7 was the biggie) and integrate all three ways of modifying difficulty: dice pool modifiers, variable Target Numbers, and variable Thresholds. It would have required far more work, however, and without a very well-organized core book would be hopelessly confusing. I guess I'm not terribly surprised that the SR4 devs shied away from it, especially with the brutal timetables they gave themselves for developing and playtesting the game.
eidolon
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
I still think it's possible to create a good system that can iron out the quirks in SR3's TN system (TN6==TN7 was the biggie)

Yup. If you want it to be harder than a TN6... it's a TN8.

And I only had my iron turned up to polyester. smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)
Quick note: Not everyone dissects their game until all they have left is an overblown math problem.

not everyone does--but game developers should. for instance, if the SR1 crew had done this, we might not have had the problem where TN 6 is identical to TN 7 in SR1-3.
Azralon
The mathematical problem with having the dice results affected in three dimensions is that it's not a simple thing to judge the difficulty of any given roll. If the TN is only 2 but you're at -4 dice and need a threshold of 5, then is that test supposed to be easy or hard?

You start to create all sorts of mathematical artifacts representing "sweet spots" in those 3 dimensions, as well as "sour spots." I, as a player, even went so far as to program my graphing calculator to figure up the optimal number of dice to roll once I found out the TN and other modifiers. That's a hanging offense in Vegas, but it sure made my PCs more comfortable when the dice started rolling.

Nowadays the math is simple enough to eyeball the odds without the need for a programmable calculator. I have 10 dice with a net modifier of -3 to get a threshold of 2? Okay, odds are I can do that.

That's handy from a player perspective, but it's even more handy from a designer standpoint since you can pretty easily guess at someone's performance level given X dice and Y threshold. Overall, SR4 seems pretty well balanced from a numeric standpoint (with a few exceptions).
mfb
a) since when are thresholds a major part of SR3, and b) those sweet and sour spots are good. they reward players who are experienced with the system, without unduly punishing those who aren't familiar with it. they put challenge into the game part of the role-playing game. like i've said before, if you view an RPG system as nothing more than an engine to carry your stories, go for SR4. if you enjoy the gaming part, though, SR3 is a richer experience.
FrankTrollman
No. Sweet and Sour spots are bad. They punish gamemasters who are trying to learn the system by having tasks they assign arbitrarily end up being crazy difficult or hilariously easy.

-Frank
Critias
If you're stupid, sure, you don't like 'em. If you know how to use them -- and so does your GM, and so do the other players -- they're a lot of fun, and they reward you for understanding a little math, and the SR3 rules set.

SR4 should be right up your alley if you're looking for a more basic, no thinky-thinky, sort of game. Have fun with it.
mfb
extreme sweet and sour spots are bad, yes. that's part of the game designer's job, is to make sure those spots aren't massive game-breakers.
Feshy
Sweet and Sour spots mean more time calculating, and less time playing and developing plot. This is a bad thing.

This is something I'm really starting to like about SR4 -- it is extremely easy to judge the difficulty of a test, and the odds of success. This means that as a GM, if I have to improvise, I can do so quickly and fairly.

I was originally a big fan of the variable TN's of previous editions. Until I remembered that either I was prepared, and operating in my chosen field (target number 2ish) or unprepared and doing something I didn't have all the gear and skills for (target number 12ish). I really can't understand how people criticize SR4 for being "too easy at the high end" and "too hard at the low end" compared to SR3; as I recall rolling well over a dozen dice against TN's of 2 and at other times rolling two dice against TN's of 10 and higher.

The only real "clunkiness" in the SR4 die system is that the odds of a glitch are worse on odd-numbered rolls than the lower even-numbered roll; and the odds of a glitch are actually much higher with 3 dice than with 1 (depending on how you decide to round, as there are no default rounding rules in SR4?)
Feshy
SR4 should be right up your alley if you're looking for a more basic, no thinky-thinky, sort of game. Have fun with it.

Now see, this is the kind of comment that is just annoying. It implies that the person who likes to be bludgeoned with math is somehow a superior gamer to those who prefer to spend their time with plot development. Seriously, if I wanted to listen to masochists with superiority complexes, I'd go find myself a goth club. At least there I'd be able to watch women in leather and fishnets.

Plotting out massive graphs of target number parameters to look for flaws in the system to exploit is a great metagame and all; but it doesn't mean you're *smarter* for *wanting* to do that. It means you enjoy the metagame more than the game. I can understand that; I've been there. But really, that doesn't attract new players, and it doesn't lend itself well to the game experience itself.

Besides, SR4 leaves plenty of room for it... just go min/max nuts at chargen. Plenty of anomalies there to exploit if that's your shtick.
Critias
I don't see what the problem is with thinking and planning. Even -- or, rather, especially -- mid fight. It's a fantastic way to make you feel in character as a hardened killer that knows what he's doing. It's a great way to simulate the feel of a high combat skill or SUT (or both).

Take two seconds, and figure out if it's better to aim and invest combat pool in a single shot, or take cover and snap off multiple shots, playing it more defensive and hoping for a lucky roll. Do a little tactical thinking. Allocate your own die pools, make your own decisions, take your character's fate into your own hands. Look at the difference between a pair TN 6 shots or a TN 5 shot if you take the time to aim, think it through -- same number of dice, twice, at higher TN? Or half as many dice (only one shot), with twice the chance of a success per shot? Look at the smartlink ammo-counter on your gun, think about how many baddies are left, think about your teammates and how bad they might need this guy to go down. Then make a decision, after looking at your available pools and TN modifiers, and do what needs doing to win the fight.

I don't see those as bad things. I see them as awesome things. If the above paragraph takes you 5+ minutes to do before every action for every character (PC or NPC) in every gunfight, I can certainly see why SR3 isn't for everyone; however, I've never said it is for everyone. I've just said I like it, and so does my gaming group.

We accept it for what it is, and use it accordingly. The things that needed fixing could have been fixed without the over all dumbing down/streamlining. The ability to manipulate your TN and add/subtract from your die pool was (or, rather, is) amazing, in the RPG industry. But because it requires people rub two brain cells together, it's been chucked out with the bath water, and Edge is the poor-man's replacement.

Which is too bad.
mfb
i don't see what y'all are talking about, with calculations in SR3. sure, you could break out the calculator if you really felt like it, i guess. but i like to think i'm pretty damn good at SR3, and i've never bothered with calculations at all.

there's quite a bit more clunkiness than that, Feshy. impossible tasks can only be made difficult through GM intervention--i call that pretty clunky.
Feshy
Now see, this again is what I have the problem with; the insults. You give a perfectly good reason right here:

If the above paragraph takes you 5+ minutes to do before every action for every character (PC or NPC) in every gunfight, I can certainly see why SR3 isn't for everyone; however, I've never said it is for everyone. I've just said I like it, and so does my gaming group.

That's right, it takes a long time for any actions. You don't mind, not everyone does. Great! Wonderful! It doesn't bother you, but you clearly admit this would bother some people.

But then you go on with this:

But because it requires people rub two brain cells together, it's been chucked out with the bath water, and Edge is the poor-man's replacement.

In other words, even though you admit that your style isn't for everyone, what you are saying now is that people who like a faster-paced play style are "just too stupid" to enjoy your five to ten minutes of slogging through rules, modifiers, and target numbers. I say, that's a steaming pile.

There is more to Shadowrun than statistics.

Look at your example of combat, for instance -- at the options you give. With the exception of figuring out how to allocate your combat pool, every single tactic and option you describe is just as valid in SR4. The only difference is, you can tell at a glance how each option is likely to go; and *none* of the options is suddenly going to yield a sweet spot that will double your hits.

Now, you've said you *like* a system that would have you figure out the statistical odds 20 different ways, and find the one that will suddenly balloon out into an auto-kill. That's fine; as I said, some people really enjoy the meta-game of finding the "optimal solution" within a fixed set of rules more than they like the game itself. No problem at all. But do not assume that just because not everyone does, that they are "too stupid" to enjoy it. That's just beligerant nonsense.

The advantages the SR4 system gives is this: In the time it takes a "new" player to calculate the odds for every possible combat option in SR3 and decide the best course of action, the SR4 newbie has finished two to four rounds of combat. Since most new players just aren't that into the game yet, chances are in SR3 they're dead weight on the team. Why? Because the GM, and everyone else, already knows were to find that "sweet spot" and gets at least twice as many hits for the same skill level. In SR4, if they don't know every nook and cranny of the rules, they are down a die or two.

Maybe you feel like this doesn't reward "experienced" players enough. But I prefer, as do many others, that these rewards be in the form of story as opposed to game mechanics. An inexperienced SR4 player will still have a difficult time, as they won't know the right courses of action to take. But their character, who according to the stats should be successful at any actions they *do* decide to take, won't be penalized because they just didn't have the time, inclination, or knowledge to search a statistical probability set. But that still doesn't mean they are just too stupid to enjoy it your way. All it means is that, to them, the overall story (which *will* proceed faster) is more important than figuring out every nuance of what is *supposed* to be an abstract combat system anyway.

i don't see what y'all are talking about, with calculations in SR3. sure, you could break out the calculator if you really felt like it, i guess. but i like to think i'm pretty damn good at SR3, and i've never bothered with calculations at all.

Yes, experienced players will generally already have a good gut feel for which way the results will turn out best (read: suddenly double your success.) New players will not. Nor will they have the time invested to learn. Nor will they want to, as they are already having an unpleasant time since their characters, with the same stats as everyone else, are half as effective as they should be.

there's quite a bit more clunkiness than that, Feshy. impossible tasks can only be made difficult through GM intervention--i call that pretty clunky.

Show me that A) it takes too much GM intervention to say "impossible tasks are impossible," and B) that SR3 didn't have the exact same problem. Then we'll talk clunky.

Take the example people are so fond of dredging up: Blind fire at extreme range. In both systems, it is possible to hit. It *might* be slightly easier in SR4, depending on the dice pools. It also *might* be infinitely easier in SR3, because in SR4 you can't even attempt it if your pool isn't high enough -- again, depending on the pools (unless you depend on Edge -- that is to say, pure luck and "hero of the plotline" advantage -- which is the only appropriate roll to use for blindfire at extreme range anyway.) But in both systems, this seemingly impossible task is possible with a high skill and a lucky roll. SR3 was not any better in this regard.

Yes, in SR4, there is a sharper divide between "impossible" and "seemingly too easy for such a difficult task." That is a problem, of course. But note that it happens in extreme cases in SR4 -- like the above example. In those cases, no one would blink if a GM said "sorry, that's impossible." In SR3, you hit the wonky problems with the dice system every time your modifiers added up to more than +2. The problem might not have been as extreme, but it happened EVERY GAME.

Heck, you don't even need to go as high as +2, +1 will do. Let's say you and your buddy, who are both seasoned shooters, head down to the range. He's got a laser sight, you've got a smartlink. Both systems do essentially the same thing -- put a dot where you're going to hit. The Smartlink is a bit better at figuring out where that dot will be; but at most ranges, that's almost negligible. It's also probably more clear and easy to spot. So, slightly better. Let's say you want to practice for real combat situations, so you fire your shots while moving, at a "walking" pace (and set the target drones to not be stationary.) You roll the targets out to a "long" range, and open fire.

What happens? In SR3, the TN's are 5 and 6. The character with a smartlink will do twice as good as the character with a laser sight -- twice as many dice will roll hits. Even though both the laser sight and the smartlink do essentially the same thing, one just slightly better.

*That* is "pretty clunky." But it gets worse. Imagine after half an hour of this, the brass is littering the flooor (today is "retro cased-ammo day at the range.) Now they are walking on "difficult ground," an additional +1 to target numbers. That's now a 6 and a 7 -- which means that the character who WAS getting twice as many hits is now getting EXACTLY the same number of hits, because of one teeny tiny change in the situation. This is what I am talking about above when I say searching through all your possibilities can balloon your hits twofold. It wasn't hyperoble; and it didn't require any extreme or unusual situations.

In SR4, the guy with the Smartlink will roll one extra hit approximately every third shot. That is, the Smartlink will perform *slightly* better than a laser sight, as it was intended. It doesn't matter WHAT else is going on, the range of the shot, or whatever -- the smartlink will perform slightly better, every time. No sweet, no sour.

I'll take arbitrating the extreme situations (which are every bit as present in SR3) over the wonkiness that shows up almost every third die roll in SR3.

But hey, maybe I just don't like to rub my brain cells together, as Critias says.
Critias
The reason I can't help but pepper my speech with insults is that I've been saying the same thing(s) around here for probably 6 months. If Blakkie can use that as an excuse to be "an asshole" smilingly, I'll use it as an excuse to flavor my comments with a bit of condescension.
hyzmarca
You don't need a calculator for SR3. . The probability of success is always [7-(remainder of TN/6)]*[(1/6)^(1+(the quotent of TN/6))] for any specific die. I don't see how the math could get any simpler.

Thresholds, on the other hand, I have no idea how to begin to calculate the probabilities for those.
Critias
I understand -- and I've said as much -- that the SR3 level of complexity isn't for everyone (and I'm just talking basic combat here, that's the bit I use/like/enjoy the most). But what bothers me is that it was among the first games to offer you that sort of thing, and now it's back to not offering you that sort of thing. It's a backwards step, I think.

SR4 feels like "Shadowrun Basic," to me, by comparison. If that means there'll be some future book that has rules for recreating Combat Pool or something, great. It might be enough to make me switch to SR4 (yes, really).

But if not, it just feels like something is missing. I might as well be playing D&D (add up modifiers, roll dice, laugh or cry) or WoD (add up modifiers, roll dice, laugh or cry). Edge is better than nothing, I guess, but I see it only replacing one of the old pools/modifiers you used to be able to call upon (karma pool), and the much more common and everyday usefull pool (combat pool) is still conspicuous in it's absence.
Fuchs
I guess I am odd - in my group, we don't calculate what we do beforehand, we say what our character tries to do, then we check the TN and such and roll. No big deal at all. And I fail to see what the big deal is about the 6/7 controversy.

For those among us who don't really care about rules to the degree of running probability calculations in their head, and already simply most stuff down to a few rolls, SR4 may be worth it for the wireless concept and other such "Fluff" ideas as well as other concepts.

(And, for those who do care: I always go by a rule of thumb: 1 in 6 will roll a six, on average, and half of those will roll 4 or better, so a skill of six means one success for a TN of 10, as an example. Karma pool makes up the difference, and dealing with the odd fluke row of misses is often fun.
That's coming from someone who likes to let players roll 1d6 often, as a sort of "fate/random encounter" check - 1 means something bad comes up, maybe that cop at the corner dislikes the character's metatype, 6 means something good comes up, maybe the stolen car turns out to have a tuned engine - which may result in some gang boss getting angry at the runners stealing his wheels, but those are typical SR twists....)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012