Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why shouldn't I buy SR4?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
Are any of the earlier editions better for any good reason? Besides the temporary lack of sourcebooks for SR4.
warrior_allanon
earlier editions vs SR4: you dont want to go there

lots of older posts and threads on this subject, nothing recently however.
personally, though i like SR4, and think its a game worth playing, its not the SR i've come to know and love, therefore i still love SR3 and other earlier editions and still play them. Now, thing is though i also play SR4, because like someone else said in an earlier thread, "Its not a good update to the old system, but a good first edition game" or something to that effect. SR4 plays as if it is a new game just developed and put out on the market, not as an old tried and true game that people have been playing for decades. why, because there have been so many fundamental changes to the core concepts of the game in my mind that it has become something completely different.

Even though the concept of being a Black operations mercenary for corporations, governments, and organized crime is still what you do, the feel of the game has changed. Gone are the variable target numbers and in is the variable thresholds, while making things difficult it doesnt make the difficult completely impossible, allowing for a more "John Woo" type of game play. This has been made into a video/live action game writer so someone could take and make multiple millions, because the ability is there for the easy modification to the following:

video game
LARP
Movie

there is no longer a strict cannonality that lends to a completely realistic feel of the game.

but thats my feelings on the mater, i have to go to work now

"How bout I take a venti razor and shove it up your hoop, you tall brained moron. I hope you choke on a biscotti."-paraphrase of "Foamy the squirell in small, medium, large"
eidolon
Personally, SR4 feels too dumbed down and washed out for me to ever actually enjoy playing it. It has a few good ideas, but IMO, piss-poor implementation.

Those, combined with the lack of desire to spend a couple more thousand on books, will keep me from playing it. (Although the first reasons I give are more important to me.)
el diablo robotico
Weird perspectives...

For instance, I've never played SR, nor owned any of the previous editions. However, I'm really really digging SR4. In fact, I'm gonna run a game at my work place, and play in another SR4 game with my usual gaming group.

I think it's great.
SpasticTeapot
SR3 had a plethora of really rather nifty rules for a billion different situations, that all fit together rather nicely.
SR4 has one set of rules for most everything, and is much, much easier to run. (Less dependent attributes is nice.) Also, they have an elephant gun in the rules. Anything that can shoot two large lead slugs at the same time is a good idea, in my book.
It's a little bit like comparing C++ and Java, from what I've heard.

EDIT:
If you're new to SR, get the SR4 book. It's worth it.
If you're not new, and used to SR2, SR3 might make a bit more sense. I'd get the SR4 book anyways, though.
eidolon
True, I suppose it's worth noting that if you've never played any other edition, you could very well just get SR4. You'll never know the difference anyway.
Bull
You shouldn't get SR4 because if you do, Satan will eat your kitten and Santa will take away your birfday. smile.gif

Bull
=Spectre=
I have to admit. When I first heard about 4th Ed Shadowrun, visions of WotC 3rd ed DnD butchering started dancing through my head. Especially with what was going to be changed. But when I got my hands on the book, I was pretty amazed with what Fanpro came up with.

I expected a real hamburger book of rules and alterations. What I got, was a well sculpted system that does indeed change how SR plays, but in a positive way. Essentially, I think they turned the Corebook into a real rulebook now, with a lot more information on characters and gear, and less on cities, gangs and other things that ended up reprinted two or three times in supplementals.

But, if you're looking for reasons to not buy it, there are some. For one, the game itself is radically different from 3rd ed. Most if not all of the SR players have made their peace with 3rd. 4th might be too much of a change for many veterans to put up with. Being a 3rd player for over ten years, I find it a little hard myself to let go of the Dice pools. in a constested situation, dice pools gave players a lot of control over the moment ("Let see. all my combat dice to dodge the minigun toting Troll? Or save some for an attack on that large belt of EX-Explosive ammo he's using?")

Ultimately, I think the biggest reason to not buy SR4, is a paradoxical one. Put simply, the system changes are untested by the general public. There's a lot of new ground to be covered in 4th in regards to the rules. The SR community is gonna have to go through growing pains all over again with it. And there's no guarantee that they will. Sadly, the paradox is: no one buys the system cause it's untested, the system stays untested and fades, and we're left with a lot of 3rd ed books that are now out of print.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (=Spectre= @ Dec 5 2005, 08:20 AM)
Ultimately, I think the biggest reason to not buy SR4, is a paradoxical one. Put simply, the system changes are untested by the general public. There's a lot of new ground to be covered in 4th in regards to the rules. The SR community is gonna have to go through growing pains all over again with it. And there's no guarantee that they will. Sadly, the paradox is: no one buys the system cause it's untested, the system stays untested and fades, and we're left with a lot of 3rd ed books that are now out of print.

This is why games go through beta versions and ungergo playtesting. Some of us are of the opinion that not enough playtesting was done, maring a system which is otherwise very promising. Many areas of the rules require lots of ad-hockery by the GM, and the rules that aren't incomplete are usually limited. Certainly the move from dynamic-TN to static-TN has reduced the extensability of the system; having bonuses and penalties add and subtract from the success probabilities rather than multiplying or dividing them make the system scale less elegantly, both at the low- and the high-power levels.

(Edit): Examples: mfb has noted that with a dice pool of 15 you can regularly hit a target with a pistol from half a mile out, blindfolded. At lower levels your chance of glitching will fluctuate noticably depending on whether you have an odd or even number of dice in your dice pool. The granularity of Extended tests means that, no matter how skilled you are at them, some projects with long intervals (like programming) can never be completed in reasonable amounts of time. Etc etc.

Does that mean you shouldn't buy SR4? Of course you should. I mean, there's not much choice, is there? SR3 is dead. Its corpse will flail around for awhile, and some people will insist on not making the change, but in a few months it won't matter. SOTA's a bitch, chummer; best get used to it.
Apathy
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
mfb has noted that with a dice pool of 15 you can regularly hit a target with a pistol from half a mile out, blindfolded.

Not that it matters, but he was talking about hitting targets at extreme range, which might be a half mile for a sniper rifle, but is only 60m for a heavy pistol.

...and I think the example's inaccurate anyway:
[ Spoiler ]

...But I do agree with your overall point. SR3's history (albeit a great history with lots of fun memories), and it's time to move on.
Critias
SR3 isn't "dead," it's just done being molested by game developers. You can still run a game perfectly well using the SR3 system -- or, hell, the SR2 or SR1 systems -- and the SR4 (aka, the "continuing") timeline.

Just like, if you really wanted, you could go back and SR4ify 1st ed modules, and play a whole campaign from 2050 on up, or something, if you really wanted, all using the SR4 rules set.
mfb
Apathy, you're addressing my specific points but failing to address my overall argument. in a nutshell, my beef with the SR4 dice system is that it a) makes the impossible far too easy for mid- to high-end characters, and b) makes the difficult completely impossible for low-end characters unless they expend Edge. these points have both been explained and backed up with solid mathematics in other threads; do a search for "probability" and the username "Ellery" if you're interested.

i can't reccomend anyone to either buy or not buy SR4, because i don't know what other people look for in an RPG. i can tell you that the base game mechanic of SR3 is more sensible and less spastic than the base game mechanic of SR4, but i don't have the energy to explain why that might be important (all i'll say is that if you don't like the way d20 plays, you might not like the way SR4 plays--again, Ellery has already explained this stuff better and more exhaustively than i can). i can tell you that SR3 supports grittier, deadlier play than SR4--SR4's glitch system would make SR4 grittier, except that they happen so often that it's more like The Three Stooges than Heat.

and, yeah. i was talking about extreme ranges, not half-mile targets with pistols. even SR4 isn't that broken.

edit: like Critias said, it's not like SR4 is the only alternative. i know of at least two projects seeking to update and improve the SR3 rules--to create a ruleset that is what SR4 "should have been", in other words. even if neither ever come out, the SR3 rules and setting can continue to be used.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 5 2005, 03:15 PM)
in a nutshell, my beef with the SR4 dice system is that it a) makes the impossible far too easy for mid- to high-end characters, and b) makes the difficult completely impossible for low-end characters unless they expend Edge

That's just the pitfalls of having such a low-resolution scale.

If my skill in Basketweaving can be represented in no more than 8 quanta (0 through 7) then that integer-only numberline has to reflect the entire range of human Basketweaving technology. That means each increment is a significantly large leap forward in ability.

Personally I wouldn't trade in a granular scale like this for something high-resolution. I've played a (different) game before where the skills and stats ranged from 1-1000. Those big numbers ultimately detracted from fun gameplay more than they contributed.
mfb
yes, but it's not like d20-esque low granularity and 1-1000 skills are the only options. just to pull an example out of the air that has nothing to do with the current discussion, variable target numbers greatly increase granularity without greatly increasing complexity.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 5 2005, 03:34 PM)
variable target numbers greatly increase granularity without greatly increasing complexity.

Subjective opinion, but no less valid than anyone else's. smile.gif
mfb
edit: blah. not getting into this.
Azralon
QUOTE (mfb)
edit: blah. not getting into this.

I wholeheartedly concur!
SL James
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 5 2005, 01:15 PM)
Apathy, you're addressing my specific points but failing to address my overall argument. in a nutshell, my beef with the SR4 dice system is that it a) makes the impossible far too easy for mid- to high-end characters, and b) makes the difficult completely impossible for low-end characters unless they expend Edge. these points have both been explained and backed up with solid mathematics in other threads; do a search for "probability" and the username "Ellery" if you're interested.

Link I hope that works.

I would particularly suggest, "Dice analysis paper", "Linear advancement", "Dice systems", and aside from that anything written by Ellery, who clearly has more knowledge of statistics than anyone else here.

Personally, I see SR4 as like when all you have is a hammer and everything looks like a nail. It's fine until you reach a nut, and you wish you had a ratchet, or you need to hack off the end of some plastic tubing. It's pretty easy to master the hammer, and you may even be able to coax some tricks out of it when it comes to non-nails. You may even be able to get a screw into a hole without too much trouble. It's not a clean job, but it's good enough.

SR3 is like having an industrial-sized tool chest (the kind that are about 1.5m tall and wide and 1m deep) with trays of ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, some power tools, and even attachments for the air compressor. It requires a lot more time to master that beast, but you can do far more things with more precision and less waste. You would also have enough understanding to know when you need to get another tool because the socket is too big, or in some cases you need an allen wrench every once in a while (or maybe the allen wrench is the best fit for something that you always work on).
emo samurai
SHUTUPSHUTUPI'MBUYINGITI'MBUYINGITAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

....thanks.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James @ Dec 5 2005, 03:04 PM)
I would particularly suggest, "Dice analysis paper", "Linear advancement", "Dice systems", and aside from that anything written by Ellery, who clearly has more knowledge of statistics than anyone else here.

....in the sense of "lies, damn lies, and statistics". rotfl.gif Ellery certainly had a bizzare "understanding" of the term linear.
SL James
Oh, I forgot. The SR3 toolbox also has rubber and leather mallets.
TheHappyAnarchist
Anyone have links to these what SR4 should be projects.

There is so much about SR4 that I liked that changed, but so much that makes me cry at night. wink.gif
mfb
blakkie, your grasp of mathematics makes the baby jesus cry.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 5 2005, 04:41 PM)
blakkie, your grasp of mathematics makes the baby jesus cry.

So you'd like to explain Ellery's use of linear? Because apparently she couldn't. wobble.gif
mfb
flipping a coin is simpler than a linear system. there's a difference between can't and recognizing futility.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 5 2005, 04:57 PM)
flipping a coin is simpler than a linear system.

Which has dick all to do with the subject of the question.

there's a difference between can't and recognizing futility.

However in this case the reasons for both of those overlap. A huge portion of Ellery's "statistics" is pure poser numerology, lots of "correct" math with flawed application.
SL James
For god's sakes. Both of you, quit it.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
For god's sakes. Both of you, quit it.

nyahnyah.gif
eidolon
QUOTE (SL James)
SR3 is like having an industrial-sized tool chest (the kind that are about 1.5m tall and wide and 1m deep) with trays of ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, some power tools, and even attachments for the air compressor. It requires a lot more time to master that beast, but you can do far more things with more precision and less waste. You would also have enough understanding to know when you need to get another tool because the socket is too big, or in some cases you need an allen wrench every once in a while (or maybe the allen wrench is the best fit for something that you always work on).

*sniff*...it's so beautiful. I knew I loved you for a reason.
biggrin.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (eidolon @ Dec 5 2005, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (SL James)

biggrin.gif

Ya, it sounds a lot better when you leave out the part about the ratchets being sized in furlongs, the wrenches alternate between shaped for 7-sided nuts and 5-sided nuts, the screwdrivers have no handles, the hammers are designed for lefthanded use only, the powertools require 600VAC @ 50Hz, the air compressor attachments only work when driven by compressed radon (Rn), and the cabinet has a digital challenge lock that requires that you provide a new 200-digit prime number each time you go to open it. rotfl.gif
tisoz
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (SL James)

biggrin.gif

Ya, it sounds a lot better when you leave out the part about the ratchets being sized in furlongs, the wrenches alternate between shaped for 7-sided nuts and 5-sided nuts, the screwdrivers have no handles, the hammers are designed for lefthanded use only, the powertools require 600VAC @ 50Hz, the air compressor attachments only work when driven by compressed radon (Rn), and the cabinet has a digital challenge lock that requires that you provide a new 200-digit prime number each time you go to open it. rotfl.gif

While the SR$-hammer analogy may be a bit oversimplified, it is a common analogy. Maybe saying SR$ is a basic toolkit would be more fair.

If you honestly think the analogy of the toolchest to SR3 was anywhere near as complicated as you described, no wonder you hate SR3. Maybe you were making it harder than it actually was.

I thought the tool chest was a good analogy.
eidolon
QUOTE (blakkie)
QUOTE (SL James)

biggrin.gif

You couldn't be any more wrong!!

Everyone knows the air compressor attachments ran on gaseous unobtanium. nyahnyah.gif
SL James
QUOTE (tisoz)
While the SR$-hammer analogy may be a bit oversimplified, it is a common analogy. Maybe saying SR$ is a basic toolkit would be more fair.

Hm. You make a good point. I guess I can extend it to one of those cheap toolkits you can pick up at CVS or Walgreens. Yeah, toss in a couple of screwdrivers and and a pair of small needlenose and normal pliers.
blakkie
QUOTE (tisoz)
If you honestly think the analogy of the toolchest to SR3 was anywhere near as complicated as you described, no wonder you hate SR3. Maybe you were making it harder than it actually was.

It was hyperbole....at about the scale James was originally using. wink.gif

QUOTE (JamesSL)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Dec 5 2005, 10:15 PM)
While the SR$-hammer analogy may be a bit oversimplified, it is a common analogy.  Maybe saying SR$ is a basic toolkit would be more fair.

Hm. You make a good point. I guess I can extend it to one of those cheap toolkits you can pick up at CVS or Walgreens. Yeah, toss in a couple of screwdrivers and and a pair of small needlenose and normal pliers.

...which would still be overkill for changing a lightbuld, and enough for a farmer to fix anything remotely mechanical you'll find in your house. wink.gif That actually describes fairly well the tools I keep in my vehicle that I rely on to get me home from whatever remote shithole i happen to be working in if my vehicle breaks down. Just substitute a forrestry shovel for the hammer and add two pairs of vice gripes, a couple rolls of tape (duct and electrical), and my latest addition of one of those electronic diagnostic tools. Top it off with a recipricating saw and 1/2" drill at home and it is truely stunning what can be fixed (or at least worked around). For making it look a bit more pretty my Dad bought me a Skillsaw (i was doing a lot of home renovations at the time). But to get back on topic....

Really, the best SR3 - SR4 analogy in that theme of tools that comes to my mind is roughly similar sets of tools, but the instruction manuals for the SR3 tools are each written in one of six different languages (Japanese, Sanskrit, Polish, Creole, Hebrew, and 'Valley Girl') while not all the SR4 tools are availabe for purchase yet. *shrug*
eidolon
But they will be! And people will buy them in droves! Spend...SPEND!!! SPEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD!

Wait a tic. I think I morphed into the CEO of Hasbro/WotC and GW at the same time there for a second. biggrin.gif
Solstice
well SR3 is anything but dead just ask my groups. Now, on to more important things, like the status and location of these beautiful, special people who are daring to make SR4 how it should have been.
SL James
QUOTE (blakkie @ Dec 5 2005, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (tisoz)

By the very fact that you expanded on it makes it no longer on the same level.

It's a whole new level of hyperbole.

QUOTE (Solstice)
well SR3 is anything but dead just ask my groups. Now, on to more important things, like the status and location of these beautiful, special people who are daring to make SR4 how it should have been.

My best is running the numbers and playtesting them until they wished SR never existed.
blakkie
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (blakkie @ Dec 5 2005, 11:20 PM)
QUOTE (tisoz)

By the very fact that you expanded on it makes it no longer on the same level.

It's a whole new level of hyperbole.

Expanded it? Hey, i only mentioned the parts you did. ;P
blakkie
QUOTE (Solstice @ Dec 5 2005, 11:45 PM)
well SR3 is anything but dead just ask my groups.

Ya, but unfortunately finding an SR3 group to ask that question of has been harder and harder to do over the years. Not sure why to expect that tend to reverse, slow, or even just stay at the same rate. *shrug*

Now, on to more important things, like the status and location of these beautiful, special people who are daring to make SR4 how it should have been.
mfb
oh, for god's sake. blakkie, for once in your life, pick a fucking argument and argue it. quit changing the goddamn subject every time someone proves you factually wrong. you are living, breathing proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the hands of the right moron.
Critias
I itch when I read blakkie's posts.
Fuchs
Strangely, Shadworun 4 seems fated in my group to follow D&D 3.5's model. When D&D 3.0 came out I was sceptical, but one look through the book convinced me to switch to 3.0 from AD&D2 at once. When 3.5E came out, my group debatted a bit - most of us got all books - but then we decided to stick with house-ruled 3.0.

SR4 may share a similar fate. I bought the book, but the rules did not compel me to switch - unlike SR2 and SR3 did, I started with SR1. Part of it may be my familiarity with SR3, but a bigger part is that I simply do not use rules as much as other GMs, or so I'd assume, reading this board. We use the combat rules often - but not every game session - the magic rules too, as they relate to combat. However, most of the rest is usually simplified to a single test or such, decking done by an NPC and therefore completely out of the equation.

So, I will buy the SR4 books, and mine them for fluff (which I also pick and choose anyway), and other stuff I'll use, like the new matrix background, and the new cyberware stuff.

(Incidentally, we play D&D the same way, with more emphasis on social stuff than combat.)
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb @ Dec 6 2005, 01:57 AM)
oh, for god's sake. blakkie, for once in your life, pick a fucking argument and argue it. quit changing the goddamn subject every time someone proves you factually wrong. you are living, breathing proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing in the hands of the right moron.

...and you are refering to what exactly????? This JamesSL/hyperbole thing? Because damn he had some serious hyperbole between SR3 and SR4, i'm really missing the subject change (or i'm not allowed to talk about other stuff too until replies come in?), and "factually wrong" is pretty strong language when you are talking about the difference between subjective magnitudes of two different things being above or below the threshhold of "about"?

QUOTE (Critas)
I itch when I read blakkie's posts.

It's ok, you really don't need to make up an excuse to scratch your balls. Just tell your sister to stay out of your room. smile.gif
Adarael
You shouldn't by SR4 because it causes herpes.

Also, it's cold-hewn from the bones of stillborn puppies.
blakkie
QUOTE (Adarael @ Dec 6 2005, 03:15 AM)
You shouldn't by SR4 because it causes herpes.

Also, it's cold-hewn from the bones of stillborn puppies.

So that is one reason for, one against (unless you already have herpes, or it just causes herpes in general but not specifically in the buyer wink.gif ).
Critias
I think what it boils down to is: If you don't like SR3 because it's too complicated, or you're a total canon whore that feels an obsessive-compulsive need to have an "official" game, , or your players have attention spans that can grasp D&D or a video game, but not SR3, buy SR4.

If you don't need a dumbed down/streamlined version of the rules, you don't need SR4.
Adarael
That makes it sound like the only reason to buy a new edition is because you're OCD or your players are tards. Which honestly could be said of any new edition for most any game. Or even buying rules at all, rather than making your own.

I would challenge that statement insofar as adding the following:

1) If you don't want to take the time to reverse-engineer future sourcebooks to SR3,
OR
2) You're hoping for a re-working of a particular rules-set so you don't have to deal with that particular hodgepodge (Rigging rules come to mind...)

You may have something for buying it. Otherwise, maybe not.

But I'm a freak, and I'll play both and own both.
blakkie
QUOTE (Adarael)
That makes it sound like the only reason to buy a new edition is because you're OCD or your players are tards.

Well, James bought it (or at least he's using it, whether he paid for it or not he hasn't mentioned smile.gif ) so maybe he's onto something there....but that still falls short of proving those are the only reasons. rotfl.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Adarael @ Dec 6 2005, 04:34 AM)
That makes it sound like the only reason to buy a new edition is because you're OCD or your players are tards. Which honestly could be said of any new edition for most any game.

My mistake. I didn't mean to be unclear -- it was supposed to make it sound like the only reason to buy SR4, specifically, is if you're OCD or your players are 'tards. Sorry for the mix up.

And, blakkie, trust me. James isn't playing SR4.
blakkie
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 6 2005, 04:11 AM)
And, blakkie, trust me.  James isn't playing SR4.

Oh, so then it's because he's OCD as well? grinbig.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012