Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [MAGIC]: Increased Reflexes and force
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Siege
QUOTE (Polaris)
Seige,

In shadowrun it does. After all, a runner (if he expects to survive) should look to get every possible edge he can find, and create any edges that he can not find. That directly implies that if you find an abusive loophole, then you as a player need to be using that loophole.

It also means that if FanPro wishes to preserve the Genera they want in SR, they need to fix abusive loopholes. The responsibility for solid rules falls on the developer not the player. Don't think for a moment that the player is somehow at fault for taking advantage of faulty rules. That fault lies with the GM and more importantly with the publisher and designer of the system.

-Polaris

That is so very wrong.

BitBasher and I have in the past bashed heads over various topics, but his sig says it all: "It's not a matter of the players versus the GM, it's the players with the GM" (paraphrased)

You're not in a computer game with fixed, arbitrary numbers and you are not working in a vaccuum, your actions having little or no impact on others near and around you. You are playing in concert with other players in a story being told or refereed by another person.

I have played with gamers like you and watched more than one game disintegrate because one calculator holding player who stands on one rule and rapes it endlessly.

Which in turn forces the GM to stop it and start pre-emptively examining every action and character that player generates so as not to abuse the game which, in turn, gets very tedious for other players who are trying to have fun and not endure another session of "oh lord, what cheesy bit of munchkinism is he going to attempt to mutilate now?" The players should understand that the GM is not perfect nor are the published rules going to be perfect and not strive to abuse the situation in order to prove that rules may indeed be broken.

And yes, while a runner may be performing like a starving sewer rat or a hungry lawyer, it does _not_ mean that the _player_ should threaten the GM's family, take incriminating photos or debate the merits of different ammo loads while plotting to execute the pizza delivery driver and steal his uniform.

The character is not the player and the player is not the character -- that kind of idiocy results in kids killing each other in sewers and blurring the line between fantasy and reality.

So no, the genre of the game does not dictate how I as a player should approach the rules and more to the point abuse the rules in the name of the game.

The caveat being -- a GM is welcome to run any sort of game he (or she) likes with any particular theme, flavor or genre to suit personal tastes. If he wants to run a "no holds barred, do your worst because I'm going to do it to you" sort of game, then by all means take advantage of "broken" rules because the GM won't care and will most likely return the favor in spades.

Those kinds of games invariably have players yelping about how they "killed Tiamat twice" and the problems of paper-training Cthulhu because he's absolutely murder on the carpets.

-Siege
Polaris
Seige,

There is no one questioning the authority of the GM to houserule problematic rules. Certainly I am not.

That said in shadowrun, you need to build the most effective and efficient character possible just because of the dystopic nature of the game. That in turn means that you not only should but must take advantage of every means possible to increase your own character's personal power.

Sorry guy but that is just the nature of this genera and the play that it encourages. It is one impartant reason I actually dislike Shadowrun.

The main point here is that busted rules and the use thereof is not the fault of the player but the fault of the designer that wrote them, the developer that edited them, and the GM that failed to houserule them away. At least put blame where it belongs.

-Polaris
BitBasher
well herein lies the problem.
That said in shadowrun, you need to build the most effective and efficient character possible just because of the dystopic nature of the game. That in turn means that you not only should but must take advantage of every means possible to increase your own character's personal power.
That's false. Well not entirely, but you are performing these actions from the point of view of you, the player instead of the character. This makes it metagaming, essentially cheating or munchkinizing. (First time I believe that I have ever used that word on these forums directed at someone.)

Are all or most of your character's knowledge skills devoted to thinks like "Studies of long term stress and performance results of using multiple layers of Personal Body Armor suring strenuous conditions", "Ballistics studies of modern firearms and penetration values" or "Exactly what can a mage cast and resisty drain from statistically speaking.? I really doubt it. And because of the extensive number crunching you do your character has ZERO knowledge in all the applicable areas to have thought of that himself. Don't tell me he lookeds it up, because without a passing familiarity (and skill in) the topic he isn't going to know the bullshit from the facts. Yur character doesn't now these things.

Most of these things are not even quantifiable in the game world. In the game world there is no "S Rating Drain" nor is there "20d6 to resist damage" nor are there enough people willing to risk death or magic loss to give you a % number for it.

I'll now quote Siege's signature:
"Sometimes your grand purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."
So far not one person in my shadowrun game that had read Polaris's posts had thought it unreasonable that Polaris was serving the aforementioned purpose.
TinkerGnome
Polaris, from a pure look at the rules, you're right. However, many GMs don't hold that view and discourage it among their players. I have to say that I'm among that group. There is a concept of fairness between players and GMs insofar as players who insist on having an incredibly effective character may find that their foes are just as incredibly effective as they are. And while your points have to sum to some number, the GM is under no such obligation.

For example, my rigger has a mini-blimp drone. By your logic, I must mount a sniper rifle on it if given a chance. However, I will not do that because it would end up ruining the game when the GM makes it common for opponents to do the same. Where's the fun in walking out your front door and suddenly dying?

From this and other threads, though, it's clear this is one of those "agree to disagree" situations.
Bölverk
QUOTE (Polaris)
Sorry guy but that is just the nature of this genera and the play that it encourages.

QUOTE (Siege)
a GM is welcome to run any sort of game he (or she) likes with any particular theme, flavor or genre to suit personal tastes. If he wants to run a "no holds barred, do your worst because I'm going to do it to you" sort of game, then by all means take advantage of "broken" rules because the GM won't care and will most likely return the favor in spades.

I think this has been said any number of times already, but Polaris, Shadowrun is not a game limited to only one genre, playing style, or challenge level. You play in a campaign in which it is apparently necessary that every shaman have a starting willpower of 9 just in order to survive and prosper; many of those here do not. Can you - please - simply accept that?

Hell, my current character is a bio-rejecting human with magic resistance. No magic, no cyber, no bioware - he has to rely entirely on skill, gear, and brains to survive. I have no doubt that in your campaign he would rapidly be reduced to a smear of blood on the pavement, but in our campaign, he's done quite well for himself so far. We play in very different campaigns, ok?
John Campbell
QUOTE (Polaris)
Read what I post before declaring "victory".

Maybe you should read what you post. You just admitted that Increase Reflexes is, in fact, inferior to cyber and bio methods because it doesn't enhance Reaction (which I pointed out several posts back, but you ignored and evaded it then). Your other "reasons" are irrelevant (as is the fact that they're based entirely on unwarranted assumptions about the interpersonal relationships between people's characters). Now, seeing as how, as you have admitted, Increase Reflexes is inferior to other methods of accomplishing the same thing, it obviously can't be unbalanced. Powerful, yes, unbalanced, no. Unless you're saying that all methods of increasing reflexes are unbalancing?

The combination of the focus and force 1 improved reflexes (+3) is so cheap, gives so much, for so little drawback that indeed every mage should take it.  That makes this a balance problem.  What else would you like me to prove?

How about proving that there is, in fact, a balance problem there? If you amend that to "every mage who expects to be involved in combat regularly should take it", then I'll agree quite readily. However, that doesn't make it a balance problem any more than the statement "every mundane who expects to be involved in combat regularly should take some sort of reflex-enhancing cyberware" makes wired reflexes unbalanced.

The point is that +10 to initiative is not a huge deal for a mage although it is an extra pass which is always nice.  OTOH, the price you pay for it (nearly nothing) makes it far too cheap....and therin lies the balance issue as I see it anyway.

And, as I pointed out before, it's not exactly cheap. 65,000Y worth of starting resources makes it more expensive than all of the cyber methods that it's clearly superior to, and all of the methods that're more expensive than it is are clearly superior, except for Boosted 3, which is debatable. Boosted 3 is slightly inferior, by the numbers, but has convenience advantages (and also some disadvantages, I'll admit... and whether inability to be deactivated is a bigger disadvantage than vulnerability to astral barriers and so on depends largely on the game) and the ability to be combined with some of the other Reaction/Reflex-enhancing 'ware.

Oh, and you also just admitted that its effects are "not a huge deal"... so it's obviously not so powerful as to be that "serious" balance problem you were moaning about earlier...

Bully for you on having a house rule that covers this.  Really, I mean it and wish you well.  My GM has a similiar house-rule (increase attribute spells always use the natural attribute not the actual one in his game).  That said, when discussing rules we need to stick with the vanilla core rules and by that this system works.  It is a loophole that needs to be closed, but until it is, it remains a perfectly valid way for a mage to boost his attributes through the ceiling.

It's cheating in my book, and if you insisted on it in my game, I'd eject you (actually, you'd never get that far, because I'd laugh in your face when you showed me your maxed-Will dwarf albino Bonus Attribute (Will) Crab shaman stats (at least it's not a gnome)). Really, they expect gamers to use a little common sense instead of rules-lawyering munchkinism. I'd make you record your actual results when you made the Increase (Attribute) roll, and re-evaluate the successes when the Decrease (Attribute) was dropped. I'd do that for any sustained spell where the TN might change, actually... so you can add having your Reaction boosted as a potential method of dropping the Increase Reflexes spell (though, I'll admit, it'd be a pretty silly way for an enemy to do it). There's precedent for this in the handling of illusions where people might be wandering in and out of the target area.
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris)
The main point here is that busted rules and the use thereof is not the fault of the player but the fault of the designer that wrote them, the developer that edited them, and the GM that failed to houserule them away. At least put blame where it belongs.

The fact that you assign blame to writers of rules means that something is bad about these rules. Now, a rule that is never actually applied can surely do no harm, so that means that these rules are only bad when someone plays with them. So now you have a thing which is only a bad thing when someone uses it.

So who is really to blame, the creator or the user?
Polaris
Zazen,

The creators of the rule (the game designers) are ultimately at fault because it is their job (it's what we pay for after all) to give us a system that works and is balanced within the genera.

A GM can houserule (and usually does) but utlimately houserules are only patches and of uncertain quality since it is very difficult without extensive playtest to explore all the possible permutations of houserules.

In short, we pay for a good balanced rule set, and then FanPro doesn't deliver for whatever reason, then they are fundamentally at fault.

-Polaris
Glyph
That may be true, Polaris, but we're not just talking about a rule, we're talking about your interpretation of a rule. Most of us use a bit of common sense when we look at a rule. Most of us do not interpret the FAQ on called shots as meaning that you can ignore an Armor spell that completely covers the target by calling a shot to bypass armo. Most of us do not think that you can cast Decrease Willpower on yourself, followed by Increase Willpower, then dispel the Decrease Willpower but still have the same number of "points" from the Increase Willpower spell. Why should the developers spend countless hours plugging holes that, apparently, only you see as such? Nearly every GM uses at least one house rule, anyways - there will never be a perfect set of rules.

As far as min-maxing, that too is campaign-dependent. If someone started a "street" campaign using BeCKS, I could do a traditionally min-maxed dwarven sorcerer, and annoy the GM, and invite foes and situations specifically created to beat down my character. Or, I could make a dwarven sorcerer with lots of skills, spellpoints, and contacts, capable of being very versatile, useful, and even dominant at that "street" level of play. Which would be the most effective use of min-maxing, for that campaign?

Back to the original question, the Increase Reflexes spell is useful for any combat-oriented spellcaster. It is harder to dispel at higher Force, but it is still useful as a Force: 1 spell with a Force: 1 sustaining focus. It is not unbalancing, though. Sure, nearly every combat mage will have one, but on the other hand, nearly every sammie will have a smartlink.
Sammiel
for whatever reason you choose to manipulate the rules in a game-breaking fashion such as you do, for christ's sake, its GENRE NOT GENERA
Polaris
Sammiel,

Bollocks. You are just trying to lamely cover up a poor ruleset. The rules say what the rules say and what I said was perfectly legal by the book. That means that for the purposes of a public forum, it has to be allowed for and considered since every table has their own houserule.

I don't care if every other poster would disallow the combination I posted (hell I don't even allow it). The fact remains that it is legal by the book and thus is topical. You don't fix bad rules by hiding your head in the sand and ignoring the problem which is what most of you seem to wish to do.

Fine, it's genre. I am still right.

-Polaris
Cain
I don't care if every other poster would disallow the combination I posted (hell I don't even allow it). The fact remains that it is legal by the book and thus is topical. You don't fix bad rules by hiding your head in the sand and ignoring the problem which is what most of you seem to wish to do.

There's another section in the book that's perfectly legal. The GM is always right. If you think the book says one thing, and the GM says it means another-- according to the book, you are wrong.

You don't fix bad rules by issuing a thousand pages of legalese. You fix a problem by telling players to have fun with whatever floats their boat. You fix this problem by banning legalistic munchkins from games where you intend to roleplay, and by settling back to enjoy the game you want to play.

If you're going to assign blame, it goes to the rules-lawyers who make the game less fun for others.
Polaris
Cain,

With an attitude like that, the problems with SR (and they are legion) never get fixed. That has direct and negative consequences to the game as a whole (IMX the game is widely regarded as a joke....even among so-called 'real' roleplayers).

-Polaris
John Campbell
It isn't possible for any ruleset to cover all eventualities. Even if it were possible to create such a ruleset, the result would be totally unplayable because no one could grasp its full complexities. Any game would degenerate into constantly looking up irrelevant trivia in the rulebook. That being the case, people are expected to exercise their common sense and good judgement (if any) when playing or GMing.

This means that when a player attempts to do something so ridiculous that even people who are apparently incapable of telling the difference between munchkinism and roleplaying can recognize that it shouldn't be allowed, the proper response is not to say, "Uh, duh.... the rules don't say you can't. Oh no, Mr. Game Designer! You let my players get all out of control!" The proper response is to say, "Sweet zombie Jesus, no! Sit down and shut up," and wing it if you really need a rule to cover the results.

Asserting otherwise reduces the game to the level of computer games, which, while potentially entertaining, are severely limited in possibilities compared to human-arbitrated games, and for the same reasons... rules lawyers, like computers, lack common sense, and have to have everything spelled out for them. The only difference is that computers default to not allowing anything that isn't written, and rules lawyers are generally also munchkins, and default to anything being allowed if it's not written otherwise.

And in my experience, the common complaints about Shadowrun are either that the rules are too complex, or that they simply don't like magic in their cyberpunk. I think you're the first person I've ever seen allege that Shadowrun was severely flawed because the rules weren't complex enough.
Siege
You're never going to convince Polaris he's wrong -- he fundamentally believes in what he says and will never accept an argument to the contrary.

It's like saying "the sky is blue" and the other fellow say, "no, it's red."

I've already made my feelings on the matter known.

-Siege
John Campbell
I'm not sure about that "believes what he says" thing. I'm fairly convinced that he's willing to say anything that he thinks will score points against Shadowrun, whether he actually believes it or not. I am quite sure that you're right that he can't be convinced of anything. However, I'm bored and I find this mildly amusing.
BitBasher
Which is exactly why I started calling him Trollaris in a previous thread. He us absolutely, undeniable, a troll for argumentation. Any thread comes along and he will say whatever is necessary to inflame the most people, and he will always state it as an absolute fact regardless of whether or not it is entirely an opinion, or for that matter false entirely.

There is absolutely no other reason someone comes on a message board, insults the entire RPG the message board is based on, (which he did in his last post or 2) and deliberately incite non productive argument. That is the definition of being a troll.

EDIT: no need to reply to this Polaris, i'm talking about you, im not talking to you.
Polaris
Bitbasher,

You are also namecalling which is a gross violation of nettiquette and IIRC is grounds for administrative action. I will not say that twice.

-Polaris
Cain
Thank heavens for small favors....
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris)
The creators of the rule (the game designers) are ultimately at fault because it is their job (it's what we pay for after all) to give us a system that works and is balanced within the genera.

I think we have different notions of balance. Creating a game system which is immune to abuse is, in my opinion, impossible. You set your sights far too high.

I ask you to read my first post again. The offending rules are only imbalanced when used in a certain irresponsible way. I offer the analogy of a power tool. The creator of the tool is hardly at fault if it is used stupidly and cuts off someones foot.
BitBasher
I am making no personal attacks, nor am I name calling. I am referring directly to and using the terminology directly from the guidelines link at the top of the page. These Guidelines state:

No trolling. Don't make posts that are inflammatory or incorrect just to get people riled up.
Which I am not the only person that has stated his belief that you are directly doing on purpose. I am in fact pointing this out to the admins. I am showing how you yourself are violating those Terms. Nowhere in my above post did I refer to you as anything other than a troll, and I specifically explained why I believed you were a troll, in explanation of the first rule I quoted above. I did it in a manner that made absolutely no other derogatory comments nor accusations about yourself. Polaris you may disagree you are a troll, but obviously I am not alone in believing that you are. This is why I made the previous statement. It was not to you, but to dislpay the evidence of my belief to the other readers of the thread.
Polaris
Zazen,

OK, you're point is taken, but I think mine should as well. Of course it is impossible to design a rule set that is playable and yet immune from abuse. That said, gross design flaws should be spotted and corrected in play test. To extend your power-tool analogy, while the user is responsible if he didn't follow safety procedures with said tool, the manufacturer would be responsible if that tool were faulty (causing injury) and/or proper instructions were not given.

The correct response when loopholes or rules abuses is not to shy away and pretent they don't exist. It also certainly is not to disparage those that find them as some sort of inferior life form.

The correct response is to aknowledge that the flaw exists and correct it in your game. The next correct response (at least by FanPro) would be to close the loophole with Errata.

The fact remains that houserules are beyond the scope of a public forum since houserules vary widely. Thus what is strictly legal by the book is the only consistant way rules can be judged by everyone here.

Now the main problem is the d6 pool system which makes target numbers less than 5 far to easy to rack up lots of easy successes with while making target numbers more than 5 difficult.....often too difficult to attain realistically. This is a problem in shadowrun because the system throws you more dice as you get better which is actually a losing proposition as the target number increases. To put it another way, gaining a bonus on the target number is much better than getting a bonus number of dice to roll.

That is why I have suggested an alternative system before the boards were switched. It is why I and others have championed the d10 (0-9, nines explode) system. It works very well I think you will find.

-Polaris
Polaris
Bitbasher,

Apparently the moderators disagree with you. That's all I have to say on that.

-Polaris
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris @ Oct 4 2003, 02:26 PM)
To extend your power-tool analogy, while the user is responsible if he didn't follow safety procedures with said tool, the manufacturer would be responsible if that tool were faulty (causing injury) and/or proper instructions were not given.

The correct response when loopholes or rules abuses is not to shy away and pretent they don't exist.  It also certainly is not to disparage those that find them as some sort of inferior life form.

This is not the case here, though. Few will say that the rules for dwarves, albinos, crab shamans, or bonus attribute edges are faulty. Rather, when used inappropriately (by being combined so often as to call them "standard"), they are able to cut off proverbial feet. The tools here are not faulty.

And yes, I agree that finders of loopholes should not be berated, but you have said yourself that you are not a mere finder of loopholes. You consider it a virtue to use those loopholes as much as possible, which is certainly a bad thing.
Polaris
Zazen,

Allow me to clarify something here. I am not advocating (and to my knowledge I never have) the deliberate exploitation of the rules in general for RPGs in general. Unfortunately in shadowrun, you have a dystopic world where the entire world is literally against the characters and that implies that you have take (or find) as many advantages as possible.

Thus smart and canny players should use loopholes in such a setting. That does not mean that this sort of play should be encouraged but rather as a warning to GMs that in a cyberpunk world, it is in the player's best interest to do so. I admit the distinction is subtle but it is there. That means that those that GM and publish cyberpunk type games have an even greater responsibility than ever to ferret out and fix such abuses....especailly the developers....and if they do not, then neither has any complaint coming when the players use said loopholes.

That is just the nature of the game. It is one reason (the generally advesarial relationship between the players and the GM) why the cyberpunk genre and shadowrun in particular is simply not my favorite (although clearly I do play them).

-Polaris
Zazen
QUOTE (Polaris)
That is just the nature of the game.  It is one reason (the generally advesarial relationship between the players and the GM) why the cyberpunk genre and shadowrun in particular is simply not my favorite (although clearly I do play them).

I don't really find that Shadowrun encourages an adversarial player/GM relationship more than any other game. In my opinion, that entirely depends on the people you play with, not the game system.

Have you considered that your policy of purposely exploiting loopholes probably encourages that sort of relationship?
Glyph
And Polaris is the only one who sees them as loopholes. We're not talking about house rules here - we are talking about spell combos and rules interpretations that everyone else who has posted would not allow to work. No one else believes that casting Decrease Willpower, then Increase Willpower, then dispelling the Decrease Willpower, would let you keep all of the original successes from the Increase Willpower spell. No one else interprets the called shots FAQ on ignoring armor to mean that you can "ignore the armor" of a full body-covering Armor spell.
Polaris
Glyph,

"Everyone Else" read the layering armor rules incorrectly as well. Just because "everyone else" doesn't agree with me doesn't mean I am wrong. Go ahead and ask FanPro and I think you will find that I am right on this combo and most of the other rules related stuff I have posted.

-Polaris

Edit: I guess what I am trying to say is that it seems as though this board often suffers from a bad case of group-think, and if I come across as an iconoclast, then this is the reason. I am trying to dislodge some firmly entenched "conventional wisdom"
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Glyph)
No one else interprets the called shots FAQ on ignoring armor to mean that you can "ignore the armor" of a full body-covering Armor spell.

Err... there's no interpretation involved there. Going by the FAQ, that's exactly what it says. Which is obviously not what it's supposed to say (from context clues, common sense, etc), so it desperately needs to be changed. Any GM who wasn't already allowing it to happen that way has most likely house ruled it (I know I did) to something more in line with what the FAQ appears to want to say (but says wrong).

As far as decrease and increase stat spells are concerned, I think an errata or FAQ answer is well worth having. I can think of quite a few instances where it might be useful to know how an increase cast on a decrease works (or vice versa). There currently aren't any canon rules keeping you from taking Polaris' point of view since it does appear to work the way he suggests... but there are also probably few, if any, GMs that will allow it to work that way in their games(through house rules, aka "common sense", aka "GM is always right").

Can a rules system avoid having holes? No. Can it errata/FAQ the spots where the rules are hazy and produce odd/counterintuitive/unbalancing results? Yes.

I've never had a problem with rules loopholes (I rather like finding them, myself). However, suggesting that it's required for players to find and then use them is not something I agree with. Also, if I remember correctly, I don't agree with Polaris' reading of the armor layering rules. I'd look it up, but I believe the thread containing that viewpoint was removed. That, and this isn't the thread for that argument.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012