Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elemental spells not worth it ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Azralon
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Covering up targets in your vision isn't a new idea for firing area of effect spells into crowded areas, it's just that now the tech exists explicitly to do it very very well.

And as always, it's up to your GM to decide if new applications of existing technologies/magics are to be labeled as "useful innovation" or "forbidden exploit."
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Antimuppet)
I'd like to see a spell or two that you could use like suppressive fire. Sure, a sammies uzi3 or fn-fal chattering exex at you is cause for sphincter pucker. But what about a mage flinging arcs of lightning or gouts of fire downrange?

Oh, yes, off to the lab. Sustained Elemental combat spells, here I come!

too bad they don't have a burst fire and full auto advantages for spells. You'd think in a modern world where burst fire weapons exist, they'd develop spells with similar capabilities. If I were designing a mundane flamethrower for SR4 I'd make it FA, you can concentrate fire for more damage(narrow burst, spread fire for accuracy,(wide burst), light an entire area on fire(suppressive fire)

But then again for spells I wants lots of new mods, like a cone area of effect, PBAoE, since it would go backwards just for indirect spells I guess.

So yeah come on magic book give us burst fire spells, and cone spells and lots of other goodies.
Hasaku
QUOTE (Azralon)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 12 2005, 04:03 PM)
Covering up targets in your vision isn't a new idea for firing area of effect spells into crowded areas, it's just that now the tech exists explicitly to do it very very well.

And as always, it's up to your GM to decide if new applications of existing technologies/magics are to be labeled as "useful innovation" or "forbidden exploit."

I know the cover-up-your-friends technique has been around forever, and I also know that it's been explicitly forbidden forever. I can't give you a page reference, since I'm going off memory, but previous magic rules said something about not being able to fool yourself that way. The spell would just plain fail. Now it's an agent covering your friends for you, so you can argue, "Well now that rule doesn't apply since I'm not trying to cover them." The counter to that argument, of course, is that the current method didn't exist back then, and the obvious intent of the rule is to disallow this kind of behavior.

That's what live GMs exist for. In previous editions, it was disallowed. The current edition contains tech which allows you to use a slightly different method to get around the wording of the original rules. Live GM realizes this is an attempt to circumvent a balance-necessary rule with semantic arguments, logic be damned, and shuts it down. We can assume magic works the same way as in previous editions, and I find it hard to believe they wouldn't mention this technique in the area spells section. "By the way, anyone who knows anything about magic uses AR overlay goggles to avoid frying their teammates with direct area spells. You should include this behavior any time you use trained NPCs such as security teams or rival shadowrunners!" Or maybe the gear section: "These goggles can be programmed to block designated targets with an identical AR image, removing natural LOS from the wearer to the target and allowing them to circumvent the biggest drawback to casting direct area spells! Happy blasting, space cowboy!"
FrankTrollman
I know the cover-up-your-friends technique has been around forever, and I also know that it's been explicitly forbidden forever. I can't give you a page reference, since I'm going off memory,

I can. It was in the FAQ for SR3, the one where they announced that Magician's Way Adepts weren't allowed to leave the house without training pants. They said that gamemasters should slap players who tried that kind of thing with bizzare and nonsensical penalties to be made up as required until players stopped coming up with creative solutions to problems.

In SR2 and before, covering up half your own vision with a sheet of paper was fair game.

-Frank
Azralon
So you're saying that the goggles... they do nothing?

cool.gif
Hasaku
QUOTE (Azralon)
So you're saying that the goggles... they do nothing?

cool.gif

...wow. biggrin.gif I should have seen that coming. Anyway, the idea makes sense. The IC reason for not being able to cover your vision never really made sense. Really, it's clever. But IMO it's unbalanced, and for that reason, I'd disallow it. I'd have to come up with some "bizzare and nonsensical" IC reason for it, but it boils down to me saying "I don't want you to be able to do this." Is that so wrong?
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
until players stopped coming up with creative solutions to problems.

Cause that's what I want from my games, players that never, ever try to think on their feet or come up with creative solutions to problems. Bad players, actually learning how things are supposed to work in the setting, and making logical conclusions based on that info!

Seriously, Do they actually say "until players [stop] coming up with creative solutions to problems"? Or is that your wording? Cause either way that's just bullshit.

FrankTrollman
Not exactly.

QUOTE (SR3 FAQ)
If a magician holds up his hand, or a piece of paper, or whatever, to block a target from his vision, does that mean they're not a "valid target" for an area effect spell? In SR3, do magicians who try to intentionally limit their area effect spells suffer some penalties or chance of spell misfire?
In FanPro's opinion, no GM should allow players to get away with this kind of stunt without penalty.

Not "that doesn't work", not "please don't do that", not even "magicians can't do things like that", just a simple "punish players who do things like that." The players. Not the characters even, the FAQ suggests punishing the players.

It then goes on to offer a number of ideas to punish players with:

If the GM wants to allow players to get away with tricks like this, then apply the cover modifier that the caster wishes to give the excluded target to the TN of the spell.

If you want to be really cruel, apply the TN modifiers to the spell's Drain Test, too.

Worst. FAQ answer. Ever.

-Frank
blakkie
Not to entirely defend the FAQ, because it has it's faults, but given how vision works i find allowing penalty-free target blocking inbetween valid targets (EDIT: or next to a valid target along the caster's LOS) using HUD from glasses or goggles very dubious. Contact lenses would work better, though if the desired target was close to the desired non-target or there is a lot of movement going on there are still going to be some issues. If the mage's HUD/commlink is linked up to the non-target's commlink that'll help some, but not entirely. The commlink using ultrasound sensors (which aren't the most precise either) and an agent to do the blocking is pretty much a requirement. Afterall you have to be tracking a target you don't want to see. smile.gif
PlatonicPimp
Yeah, that whole moving around thing is why I only figured it would block people who went after the agent on the initiative scale. People who went before moved before the agent could react. The agent also has 3 passes, and edits on each pass. So it could re-block people on each pass, but only if it had a higher initaitive. anyone with 4 passes would be uncovered on the 4th pass.

Additionally, the mage would have to go after the agent for this to work as well, otherwise he acts before the agent can fix his view.

As for penalties, I don't disagree. If ANYONE is moving faster than the agent can keep up, your AR view is going to be jumbled. this leads ot the AR penalties described in wireless world: -1 to -3 depending on the amount of jumble.

I only disagree with the idea of discouraging creative problem solving. If a player wants to try this, I'd work with him to figure out how it's done. If it winds up being successful, then the idea will catch on. It becomes the New SOTA. I imagine a similar thought process is how mage goggles came into being. But you should never shoot down a creative Idea that shows that the players have been paying attention to the setting. I have enough trouble just getting my players to READ THE DAMN RULEBOOK that if they came up with an idea, or found a loophole, like this I'd be overjoyed.
Cain
I only disagree with the idea of discouraging creative problem solving. If a player wants to try this, I'd work with him to figure out how it's done. If it winds up being successful, then the idea will catch on. It becomes the New SOTA. I imagine a similar thought process is how mage goggles came into being. But you should never shoot down a creative Idea that shows that the players have been paying attention to the setting. I have enough trouble just getting my players to READ THE DAMN RULEBOOK that if they came up with an idea, or found a loophole, like this I'd be overjoyed.

I enjoy creative problem-solving, and applaud it in my players. However, there's a big difference between creativity and blatant rules-raping. Creativity was the time when someone shot holes in a water main, right above the opposition, just before the mage threw a Ball Lightning. Creativity was the mage who threw a powerbolt at her own nose, in order to blow off a set of mage goggles. Blatant rules-raping was the troll cyberadept with 5 different worthless geasa, who could punch for more damage than a Panther assault cannon. Blatant rules-raping was the guy who bought Gang/Tribe (a SR1 option) ten times, so he would always have 20d6 people on hand.

See the difference? I respect and reward creativity. I slap down blatant rules-raping.
Liper
biggest example of a bad problem with equipment and gear? Look at the rules for bow and arrows, a troll can naturally do as much damage with a bow at str 10 as he can with a panther assualt cannon.

Then there's the issue of if they do dikote probably 1-2 ap, and then there's also the str of 15 cybered issue... hehe.
blakkie
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
Yeah, that whole moving around thing is why I only figured it would block people who went after the agent on the initiative scale.

Rule of Thumb: If you aren't moving you are dead.

Defending people "move" too. I don't mean just covering ground. I mean hands and arms flailing, etc.
Hasaku
Cain said it best. It's a creative solution to a nonproblem. Area spells are supposed to be dangerous to use around allies. I'd rather not lose that part of the game, and tracking an agent + weird initiative interaction strikes me as a pain in the ass. I don't want safe area spells to be the new SOTA, so in my games it won't work.
Jestercat
Well, I'm pretty new to SR4, but I've gone through a rather odd paralellism of design with SR4 in my latest design project (it's actually kinda creepy. Looking at SR4, we started in different places, met in the middle, then every time I went left they went right, and we have different yet eerily similar mechanics...anyway back on topic)...

1) Elemental Spells - I haven't read through much of magic yet, but I know how handy setting people on fire is. Even my decker packs a clip of incendiary if he can get his hands on it - and electric stun rounds are just the thing for setting off plastique.

2) The Goggles Do Nothing - I disagree, the goggle trick should work...but as was said, it's tricky to do. If the agent goes after the mage, the goggles do nothing. Guys with Wired or Improved Reflexes are REALLY going to screw this up, and probably get powerballed a few times, which may make them unhappy. nyahnyah.gif

3) I'd really love to see burst-fire spells, and when I GM games I often let characters come up with new stuff like that.

4) Go back to the ol' Physics textbook and that'll explain why with the right bow, a Troll SHOULD do more damage than an assault cannon per shot. Remember, however, that the Panther can rip into a hell of a lot more people in one round, among other things. That, and the availability of such a Troll Bow would probably be only a bit lower than the aforementioned AC (Though it would still be restricted, they're just not that wasy to find). Getting one custom-made, however, would be easier to do.
Cold-Dragon
I would think that, with a certain amount of strength, an area element spell will provide some 'cover fire' in the way of its secondary effects. you don't want to step in a puddle of still active acid, accidentally catch your sleeve on fire running by, get zapped by a live current, etc, etc.

The alternative method might simply be a sort of holding action with spells, or several weak spells simul-casted or whatever...

yeah. I'll leave that to you guys, lol.

As far as a troll trained in bow an arrow - the fluke is that the Troll might get rather famous for it - how often do you see someone get pinned to a wall with an arrow? Tha'd be scarier than the cannon almost. The fame behind it would probably bring all sorts of fun.
Hasaku
QUOTE (Jestercat)
4) Go back to the ol' Physics textbook and that'll explain why with the right bow, a Troll SHOULD do more damage than an assault cannon per shot.

Assault Cannons don't have a good real world counterpoint, but consider an anti-material rifle. You're telling me a lightweight, subsonic projectile should do more damage than a supersonic, 20mm tungsten penetrator?

...no.
Azralon
For sake of accuracy, I'll mention that it's not so much the speed of the projectile but the shape of it that determines its damage potential. Something that overpenetrates is wasting at least a portion of its yummy kinetic force.

Examples: .45 hollowpoints and "Black Talon" -- when you absolutely, positively need compressed hamburger at range.
PlatonicPimp
QUOTE (Hasaku)
tracking an agent + weird initiative interaction strikes me as a pain in the ass.

And I make the player keep track of it. Which is the way I limit the trick, by making it a possible, but a pain in the ass to do and ultimately not worth it.
Azralon
Regarding agents and asynchronized initiative passes: Consider "Virtual Weather" and "Wall Space." Both are programs that completely alter selective parts of your AR output in real time.

"Miracle Shooter," in fact, alters your appearance so that you appear like your character to other players of the game. It obviously does this smoothly enough to allow you to simulate realtime combat situations.

I'm not saying this is the RAW allowing the filtered-LOS trick; I'm just mentioning it so people won't think programs (and therefore agents) would have trouble with this form of electronic illusioncasting.
Jaid
i somehow doubt miracle shooter is built to handle people who can, with some degree of consistency, dodge bullets (for example).

or, in other words, i don't think miracle shooter is based on the assumption that the players have wired 3.
Azralon
I'm not suggesting that it was. I'm also not suggesting it wasn't.

I am saying that "I'm just sayin'." smile.gif
PlatonicPimp
If you really wanted to get rid of the AR option, you could mention that AR overlays aren't entirely opaque, so you can see what's behind them. A lot of them could befuddle your view, leading to the AR penalties, but if you ignore them and look through them, you can still see what's around through them.
Jestercat
Just to poke my previous point again: depending on the arrow (assuming a standard broadhead) - the 20mm round will have a lot more penetrating power, that's a given, but the arrow is going to do more damage when it hits somebody, and is going to have plenty of force to trash any body armour.

I won't say it's perfectly realistic but I definitely say it agrees with the laws of physics.
Hasaku
QUOTE (Jestercat)
Just to poke my previous point again: depending on the arrow (assuming a standard broadhead) - the 20mm round will have a lot more penetrating power, that's a given, but the arrow is going to do more damage when it hits somebody, and is going to have plenty of force to trash any body armour.

I won't say it's perfectly realistic but I definitely say it agrees with the laws of physics.

They're both going to penetrate body armor (and target) and come out the other side, so it doesn't really matter how much energy they have once you've reached that point. Look at the wound cavity. It has to intersect major blood vessels or the central nervous system to drop someone instantly. Which do you think is going to make a bigger hole in someone?

Now consider that the AC as described uses an explosive round rather than a sub-caliber penetrator, and tell me which should be doing more damage. Higher strength should be giving additional AP, not DV. Modern, human capable bows already completely penetrate big game. Just 'cause Beefstick McGee's bow has a 10-ton draw doesn't mean it makes a bigger hole; it just flies farther after coming out the other side.
Jestercat
You figure a broadhead at that velocity's actually going to completely blow through and still have significant energy? Also...exit wound size would depend on the composition of each projectile. I've seen what's essentially a dum-dum arrow that'd blow a guy's chest apart at that velocity, and there are rounds of that caliber that could do similar damage...but put an armour-piercing head on and watch it go screaming right through, doing nothing.
Oracle
Hum...I wouldn't exactly call a hole in my chest nothing... dead.gif
Cold-Dragon
A hole in the torso - especially around heart or lungs - is certainly lethal, but if you miss the vitals it's little more than a guaranteed bleeder. You can last a little while bleeding that way. Likewise, if you blasted the whole through a limb without hitting anything significant, the effect is lost a bit too. That's part of the problem with using clear piercing ammo; it just doesn't shread as much as ammo desiged to kill you does.

Of course, with several holes in you, shredding doesn't matter. You just made the runny salsa affect (as compared to chunky salsa).
Jestercat
Indeed. Now if you had a modern-designed anti-personnel arrow, or at the very least a good old-fashioned barbed one with a crossed head, that's going to stick. Now...if that was explosive, you've got your chunky salsa. wink.gif
Hasaku
Assault Cannon rounds are already explosive. If the arrowhead's explosive, why would the shooter's strength matter at all?
Azralon
Well, there's "explosive" and then there's "frangible." If the projectile is built to basically shatter while inside soft tissue, then it'll do tons of damage.

EX ammo in Shadowrun actually carries a small explosive charge, apparently (hence the possibility of cooking off your ammo), so that's different than just a particularly wicked arrowhead.
Hasaku
QUOTE (Azralon)
Well, there's "explosive" and then there's "frangible." If the projectile is built to basically shatter while inside soft tissue, then it'll do tons of damage.

Which is basically how SR flechette ammo works, if you can ignore the description. Sounds more like Mechwarrior needlers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012