Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems with Trolls in SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Fix-it
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
This is clearly the work of the Horrors. Humanity is doomed.

~J

no. this proves humanity is doomed, horrors or not. ohplease.gif
toturi
Anyone up for another Horrifying blowout on New Year's Day this/next year?
Kagetenshi
Not for naught do I bring it up smile.gif

~J
Calvin Hobbes
I care!

More people play taller-than-average dwarves than not, based on the poll I ran. They're all twinks and horrible people that should have the secret FASA police (because they're still out there. Waiting. Plotting.) take them down, training-day style. Horrible, horrible people. Horrible.
Nidhogg
QUOTE (Fix-it)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 24 2005, 08:04 PM)
This is clearly the work of the Horrors. Humanity is doomed.

~J

no. this proves humanity is doomed, horrors or not. ohplease.gif

I agree. The idea that this is somehow the work of the Horrors is absolutely Nebis. Don't go around sewing out crackpot Nebis like that and expect us to just Nebis them. In the Nebis, please refrain from being such a Nebis head.

Nebis.
EVLTIM
Man this thread really makes me miss playing my French troll fencer Pepe Le Puew.

Ya'll anit had fun until you have a 9 ft troll stabing you with a 6 foot foil .
Liper
a 6 foot foil? you sure that's not just a lead pipe he picked up? =p
John Campbell
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
The artwork with the smaller trolls is actually the incorrect artwork.  Looking at the description, they are on average about 9 feet tall.  Of course, they are drastically underweight for that, as anyone who has read the How Much Did You Say He Weighed supplemental article, a must read.  9 feet tall and 500lbs.  Say what?
They helped alot in SR4 by making them smaller and heavier.

Yeah... the artwork in the books tends to be pretty bad about portraying metahumans to scale. Not just trolls, either... pretty much everybody is usually drawn smaller than they should be. Orks are usually okay, but trolls are usually shown just big instead of fragging huge, dwarves are frequently shown even smaller than they should be, and it's a rare artist that seems to have grasped that elves are bigger than we are, too.

I did a sketch of all the standard metatypes to scale as per the average heights given in SR3. Compare the troll to the human. Consider that an average residential doorframe is a bit over 2m high and less than a meter wide. Note where the 2m mark comes on that troll and just imagine the fun he'll have trying to get through doors.
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Hmm, I didn't see any, but do the gunsmithing rules have any provision for giving up the recoil compensation of Trolls for an increase in their weapon's damage? As in, building a gun that, when fired normally, would make an average person take a recoil penalty but have no more kick for a troll than a normal firearm would for your run-of-the-mill shooter.
BookWyrm
You can have Trolls with horns, you can have Trolls with no horns. You can have Elves with distinct pointed ears or not. Not every Dwarf is going to have a thick, down-to-the-knees beard (despite what the graphics show). Not every Ork is going to have those characteristic tusks jutting out from behind his lower lip.

Everyone's going to be different. Some are going to be closer to the 'stereotype' than others. Play it how you want.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Troll modifications would have been completed on most (if not all) megacorporate property years ago. Minor corporations don't have to worry about accessability restrictions and will sometimes have 2.1m doors (that elves and orks are bonking their heads on constantly), but major architecture has been appropriately modified long ago.

How are elves and orks, at an average of 190 cm, bonking themselves on the head in doorways that give them 20 cm of clearance?
Patrick Goodman
I knew I'd addressed the issue of tall dwarfs and short trolls before; it was here. These are SR4 versions of the races.

The shortest troll there is about 6'6", while the tallest dwarf is about 4'9".
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 19 2005, 05:30 PM)
Troll modifications would have been completed on most (if not all) megacorporate property years ago. Minor corporations don't have to worry about accessability restrictions and will sometimes have 2.1m doors (that elves and orks are bonking their heads on constantly), but major architecture has been appropriately modified long ago.

How are elves and orks, at an average of 190 cm, bonking themselves on the head in doorways that give them 20 cm of clearance?

The elves because they walk with a fairy-cakes skipping motion that leads to them bouncing a good 30 cm.

Orks because they fail to open the door.
Ophis
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Dec 25 2005, 10:44 PM)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 19 2005, 05:30 PM)

The elves because they walk with a fairy-cakes skipping motion that leads to them bouncing a good 30 cm.

And here was me putting it down to everyone in future wearing massive platform soles.
PBTHHHHT
Lol. ShadowDragon, that was a good one. I almost spewed water all over the screen, which would have been bad since I'm at work. Frag you! wink.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685)

{slaps self in forehead} Duh! Of course! Sorry, I just wasn't thinking...it was late.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012