Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems with Trolls in SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Lazarus
Trolls... Trolls on paper can appeal to most gamers for a number of reasons. They get nice stat bonuses for the powergamers. They can also be intimidating. And they also make a unique role-playing challenge to those players whose GMs are good at portraying racial hatred in the SR world. But my question goes more to functionality then anything else.

Now I want to clarify that I do not own any SR4 stuff, yet so I don't know if Trolls have changed from SR3... But here is my query to all you other SR GMs out there. What have you done to solve your Troll problems? By that I mean just having Trolls in your world.

Recently my group and I decided to play SR as close to reality as possible. Yes we still have magic and what not, but we did other things like, keeping track of eqiupment (You will find this makes a BIG difference when done right.), playing racial bias up, and other things of that nature.

The Troll problem started when a player with a Troll character innocently said to a human Sammie in the group "Hey I'll ride with you."

Me: But he drives a Jackrabbit. (Don't ask wink.gif )

Troll Player: So?

Me: So how is a 8 foot Troll's that's about 4 feet wide, 450+ lbs going to ride in a Jackrabbit?

Troll Player: Uhhh. On top?

Me: Nice Try.

That got me to thinking. How the hell do Trolls actually function in a city? Everything they buy would have to be specially made for them. I mean everything. A Troll can't just buy a normal car, hell a big Troll couldn't buy a big truck or SUV without some major modification. Living in a normal apartment would suck. Even if you look at some of the pictures of Trolls they couldn't use normal firearms with those huge hands. I mean we are talking about a race that makes Shaq look like an average member, well Shaq with horns growing out of his head.

Basically after looking at all the shit they couldn't do we decided just to drop it. But it's almost like we opened a Pandora's box. I've thought about taking Trolls out of the game altogether or just making them like 1st Edition Trolls. Just wondering if any of you other GMs encountered anything like this and what you tried to do about it if anything.

Thanks in advance

[QUOTE]
Kagetenshi
The life of a Troll sucks. You have just discovered why.

~J
Critias
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
The life of a Troll (when he's not in the middle of killing people) sucks. You have just discovered why.

~J

Fixed it for ya. wink.gif
Wiz In Red
Dwarves have many of the same issues (small size). Dwarf and troll modified goods are available for a markup. I actually like this dynamic...it makes twinks think twice before playing a Dwarf or Troll as oppossed to an Elf or an Orc.
Method
Ah yes. Trolls.

Basically to make things realistic everything would have to be bigger. Door ways, ceilings, cars. Taxi's are probablly large mini-vans with very few seats, and even then a troll would be cramped.

But really living in a world that isn't built for your size is just another form of discrimination, so it just adds to the whole "anti-troll racism" theme of the world. In fact there are some canon references to this. I'm not sure where (Seattle SB maybe?) but I seem to remember stuff about the upper levels of the Renraku archology having lower ceilings, basically because the corp would never allow the larger meta-types to be promoted to such luxurious living/working spaces.

It does throw a wrench in the works as far as realism goes, though. Not much way around it.
Mr.Platinum
Once the 6th worlders get past racial issues, i'm pretty sure building,cars and other things will be universal.

Not universal like the brotherhood though.
Method
Oh and about mark ups:

I was just reading that according to the Guinness Book of World Records the guy with the world's largest feet pays $22K+ for his shoes.

Granted if he wants a pair of Nikes the corp has to reconfigure thier entire assembly process, but given the tiny percentage of the worlds population that trolls conprise it would still be seriously expensive to be that large.
John Campbell
Consider: Now the racists have a reasonable justification for "separate but equal". Trolls can't use a lot of normal human-proportioned facilities, and can't use many others comfortably. In many cases, refitting things so that trolls could use it comfortably would make it difficult for humans to use and practically impossible for dwarves. So... separate water fountains and bathroom stalls (and it's of course just a coincidence how poorly those are cleaned and maintained), separate taxis (which are low on the maintenance totem because they aren't as profitable as regular ones), buses with troll-sized seats in the back (with the proportion of troll-sized to regular seats based on the proportion of trolls in the general population... even on buses that run through neighborhoods where the residents are primarily trolls), separate troll-sized elevators (the cargo elevator, around back by the loading dock... follow the smell of garbage and hobo piss)...

In other cases, it would require massive expense to refit things for trolls, so people just wouldn't. Given the choice between paying some fines for violating accessibility laws or rebuilding their building to raise all the ceilings a meter, which do you think most public places will take? (Especially if it's cheaper to just pay off the building inspector to overlook the violations... and assuming that accessibility laws even cover metahumans.)
JRDobbs
One solution is just to make everything bigger in the 6th world. Nothing like large, imposing doorways, slightly too-tall steps, and high ceilings to get that "near future dystopia" vibe going.

That being said, I'm a normal height guy (6'00") and have had the experience of nearly brushing my head on the roof of the Singapore subway....
PiXeL01
Personally I have made think a tad bigger in my world to help that little problem along, but yeah I throw everything else at my troll players I can, eventhough in this groups history we only had one so far.

As for clothes I think in Changeling it was mentioned that were specific shops especielly for the "bigger" comsumers. With the procentage of Orks and Trolls in the 6th world it is actually a good marked, or at least an ok marked to get into. As for weapons and vehicles think of it as vehicles for the disadvantaged wink.gif

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Dec 19 2005, 04:05 PM)
In other cases, it would require massive expense to refit things for trolls, so people just wouldn't. Given the choice between paying some fines for violating accessibility laws or rebuilding their building to raise all the ceilings a meter, which do you think most public places will take? (Especially if it's cheaper to just pay off the building inspector to overlook the violations... and assuming that accessibility laws even cover metahumans.)

More importantly, buildings are grandfathered into new accessibility laws and only have to be made compliant with them if renovations or new construction exceeds a certain (not huge but not trivial) percentage of the total assessed value of the property—I believe it was 30%, but it's been about a year since I typed up my last accessibility report. Unless they're already rebuilding, they'd not need to worry about fines or bribing inspectors (which really only works for non-publicly-accessible areas, as if someone reports it then you're either back to bribing again or in hot water).

~J
ElFenrir
Well, i remember reading in the new SR4 book, that there are some companies now that are dedicated to the differeing sizes of metas...of course the trolls and dwarfs. And i notice now, at character creation, you do not need to pay more for mods...only in game. And i don't think for everything...making me think that things like clothing, basics, are made in compliance these days for folks of all sizes.

Of course, i have a feeling in the CAS these might be harder to come by if they are still as backward as they are today.

But most weapons, etc, i'm sure need to be modified...but judging by the number of metas growing over the years, that this is becoming more common.

Hell, right now i'm playing a Giant metavariant. Talk about pain in the ass. Fun, yes, but he has trouble fitting in places that normal trolls go. I knew what i was getting into, tho. I like trolls, but no doubt they have a few disadvantages on their sides.

BTW...I never really delved ALL the way into SR1...only on a surface level. How were they different then? Were they smaller in those days?
Ancient History
Anyone else ever superglued a broken horn back into place? Man, I hate it when that happens. One of these days I'm gonna pull a Hellboy and just grind the damn things down.
Feshy
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Anyone else ever superglued a broken horn back into place? Man, I hate it when that happens. One of these days I'm gonna pull a Hellboy and just grind the damn things down.

That's noth'n Ever tried to buy industrial glue solvent with one hand stuck to your horn? Damn agility penalty...
TheHappyAnarchist
One thing that gets me is just the hand sizes.

Just think what even a Predator would look like, Troll modified. It would be laughable.

They could probably, realistically (as I can figure it) get up to ridiculous calibers of weapons for troll pistols though. I don't know much, but think of going from a .50 cal desert eagle to the new desert eagle troll, .75 cal or more!
FrankTrollman
Troll modifications would have been completed on most (if not all) megacorporate property years ago. Minor corporations don't have to worry about accessability restrictions and will sometimes have 2.1m doors (that elves and orks are bonking their heads on constantly), but major architecture has been appropriately modified long ago.

Even privacy fences are going to be like 4 meters tall because as long as there are giants anywhere (and there are), those old 2.5m privacy fences just don't provide... privacy.

So yeah, dwarves and trolls are going to find that windows are often placed at an inconvenient height, but they aren't going to be looking at ceilings and doorways that can't accomodate them very often.

They could probably, realistically (as I can figure it) get up to ridiculous calibers of weapons for troll pistols though. I don't know much, but think of going from a .50 cal desert eagle to the new desert eagle troll, .75 cal or more!

I think maybe they get pistols that say "REPLICA" on the side as often as they say "Desert Eagle, Point Seven Five."

-Frank
jervinator
After all these years, I am still amazed at how many people look at the Strength and Body bonuses for Trolls and drool, but then are surprised when I whack them with increased equipment costs, restricted accessibility to normal areas, difficulty in finding transportation, and just plain public fear/hatred. When you play a 9 foot tall character with hands big enough to palm the average human head, you can't just shrink your PC when you find that excessive size inconvenient.
mintcar
I have asked my players not to play troll characters for a while. It´s fun in many ways, sure. And I wouldn´t prevent it arbitrary. It´s just been so much trouble in the past, I´d rather not deal with it for a while.
Ancient History
QUOTE (jervinator)
When you play a 9 foot tall character with hands big enough to palm the average human head, you can't just shrink your PC when you find that excessive size inconvenient.

Unless you pay very careful attention to the character questions and make a midget troll two meters tall and two meters wide. That's just priceless.
mmu1
I never played a troll, but I did play a couple of dwarf characters, and I have to admit I made them as tall as I could, within reason. (one was just a big guy - for a dwarf - another was Human Looking) I figure if there are quite a few humans who are 6'8", there's no reason why there can't be a few dwarves that are around 5' tall, and it cuts down on the really embarassing situations, like not being able to see over a deli counter. wink.gif

eidolon
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 19 2005, 03:29 PM)
The life of a Troll (when he's not in the middle of killing people) sucks. You have just discovered why.

~J

Fixed it for ya. wink.gif

That's awesome. smile.gif

QUOTE (jervinator)
After all these years, I am still amazed at how many people look at the Strength and Body bonuses for Trolls and drool, but then are surprised when I whack them with increased equipment costs, restricted accessibility to normal areas, difficulty in finding transportation, and just plain public fear/hatred. When you play a 9 foot tall character with hands big enough to palm the average human head, you can't just shrink your PC when you find that excessive size inconvenient.

You nailed it. I've had that issue in my games before.
Critias
QUOTE (mmu1)
I never played a troll, but I did play a couple of dwarf characters, and I have to admit I made them as tall as I could, within reason. (one was just a big guy - for a dwarf - another was Human Looking) I figure if there are quite a few humans who are 6'8", there's no reason why there can't be a few dwarves that are around 5' tall, and it cuts down on the really embarassing situations, like not being able to see over a deli counter. wink.gif

So you wanted to play humans with stat bonuses and built-in vision mods. I'm pretty sure about 2/3 of Dwarf players do that, yeah.
Glyph
...And the other 1/3 play albino gnome sorcerers. biggrin.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Critias)
So you wanted to play humans with stat bonuses and built-in vision mods. I'm pretty sure about 2/3 of Dwarf players do that, yeah.

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about 73% of the time...
ShadowDragon8685
As an aside... It occurs to me that human-sized weapons, when equipped with Troll-sized foregrips, make a handy dandy carbine. Ingram Valiant, for example. For a human, it's an LMG. For a Troll, it's a handy carbine, or maybe even a submachine gun. A belt-fed SMG, maybe, but still...

So, it occured to me... A troll should get some sort of inherant recoil compensation. That's just such a massive thing behind the gun that he won't have much trouble keeping it on-target for the first ten or so rounds.
Kagetenshi
They do. Cannon Companion lists rules for compensation at high Strengths.

~J
ShadowDragon8685
I was thinking of mass rather than STR, but for a troll sammie, all the same, innit? smile.gif
Calvin Hobbes
That's covered in cannon companion, p.103: any character with strength 6 or more gains at least 1 point of recoil compensation. So all but the wimpiest troll gets it.
PiXeL01
Another thing about being troll is you dont need a Gyromount or any kind of pod to be standing and firing your heavy weapons. Your huge size alongs you to do that, even if you dont have a body and strength of 8. If you are a troll numbers in that issue doesnt matter.

Covered in CC as well
tisoz
When playing with GMs who make a point about size, I notice almost all trolls are on the less than average side when being described. The few that do not describe them as small go all out and say they are the biggest, baddest, etc. ... All that said, trolls and their metavariants are the least played race in my experience in the last 10 years, probably because of the inherent problems.

In describing their dwarf, players seem to go for the tall side, too. And almost invariably take the human looking edge and make sure to explain that it does not make them resemble an immature human.

Seems like about half the orks take human looking and only mention size when they are slightly smaller than average, or about the size of a large human.

I have never seen an elf described much beyond average for their race, usually listing the average height and weight straight out of the book. I have seen exactly 1 with the human looking edge - happened to be a player that always took that edge, so they may have had their own reasons.

[edit] PiXeL01, you are Proud member 3 to the 4th, aka 3^4, aka 81 of the Drop Bear Thread. [/edit]
SL James
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 20 2005, 12:26 AM)
So you wanted to play humans with stat bonuses and built-in vision mods.  I'm pretty sure about 2/3 of Dwarf players do that, yeah.

Nice comeback.
Shrapnel
Personally, I've always felt that Trolls should get a concealability bonus for weapons and gear.

Thoughts?
jervinator
Shrapnel - proportionally, their gear is usually not much smaller, and if you measure it in the absolute (inches or centimeters) it is usually larger. IMO, the only circumstance where a trolls greater size would benefit concealability would involve cavity searches, like shoving a dwarf-modified LMG up his ass.
Lazarus
QUOTE (ElFenrir)
BTW...I never really delved ALL the way into SR1...only on a surface level. How were they different then? Were they smaller in those days?

First Edition Trolls from what I can remember of them didn't have horns. I could be wrong on this, but I think the differences between them and Orks were stat wise. I know that the Troll Sammie in the Street samurai Catalog had a horn. Trolls were bigger more Stupid versions of Orks with dermal deposits. Trolls on average were taller than any race with exception of elves I think. (You will have to forgive me but I don't have access to my 1st Edition SR book ATM.) But with that description they could still function in modern society for the most part.

Of course as artists go everytime you see a Troll in any SR art he is F**king monstrous! I mean look at the Troll with no horns in the Mob War supplement if you have it. Cheese and Crackers that guy is almost too big to fit in outside let alone indoors.

First lets tackle some Troll world problems:

Buildings: People in this post have talked about buildings being grandfathered in and that makes sense, but as for Mega corps being nice and politically correct I would have to say no. Think about they're Megas. They have Extraterritoriality. They are their own countries. Worse then that they are countries that are focused on profit not the welfare of the citizens. That don't have to do anything. Would some more enlightened Megas do it, maybe. Ares and S-K maybe but not universal. Yametsu sure. But Renraku, Mitsuhama, and Shiawase hell no. Think of trying to do a run in those types of buildings. A firefight in a hallway and the Troll probably dies first. Why? Everyone shoots at him (Oh F**k a Troll!) and tight quarters (for him) means not much cover (Hmm. Maybe this desk could provide cover for my shins)

Gear: Yeah Trolls get good and bad here. I'm sure there are companies that would manufacture for Trolls, why not there is a market for it. But Trolls would still have to pay top dollar for it. Hey more material costs means more money. Less competition means more money. Look at Big & Tall or Casual Male in today's world and see the price difference vesus normal retail chains. This doesn't take into account whether Trolls need to eat mroe than humans just keep up that bulk. If they do then that's more money.

So let's say you want to play a big bad troll. What SR team would want you around? Think how many problems you would create rather then solve. I mean sure you're a bullet shield who can lift big things. So what. Playing more realistic gunfights there really isn't a use for that. Factor in the intelligence negatives and racial bias and you have a problem.

To clarify I am not biased against using Trolls. I think their great! In a fantasy setting. I personally think that the Game Designers threw them in the setting to get it a more Fantasy/Earthdawn type feel. I guess you can play a Troll if you modify them to be close to human, but then what's the point? Just play an Ork. You get a more realistic role-playing experience.

Well thanks for the comments. Good to know I'm not the only GM this have stumped.

PlatonicPimp
Sometimes I think we may overestimate the problems inherent to being abnormally sized. There is a dwarfin my party, and at one poing he hopped into a strange vehicle and said "All right, I take off!" I immediately responded " How do you reach the petals?", thinking I had him. He responded "I have a datajack. I DNI it." And I though, Yep, that would about be it for dwarf modding a car.

I've never had players who didn't think through what it meant to be a troll. Heck, sometimes when my players play trolls, they inflict this kind of stuff on themselves. They'll volunteer when their character can't do something due to size.

As for the whole "Messing with racial sizes" thing, I had a player who played an elf with a pituitary problem who was the size of a troll. He didn't receive any stat bonuses or penalties for it, he was just a big damn elf. So it works both ways, really.
Cain
I have played a troll where I really *enjoyed* playing up the racial disadvantages. For one thing, I bought him Incomptence: Pistols, representing the fact that his hands were so huge, even for a troll, that there simply were no pistols that he could hold comfortably. Another source of constant amusement was the fact that after buying him everything else, the only car I could afford to mod for him was a subcompact. Watching him get in and out of that car looked awfully like a clown act.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Lazarus)
First Edition Trolls from what I can remember of them didn't have horns. I could be wrong on this

While the troll horns were often smaller, some times didn't come in symmetrical pairs, and in general were a lot more subtle in first edition in the first edition core rulebook, they were there.

The very first image of a troll in the book, p.7 has definite horns. Small, mismatched, but they are there.

The troll on p.24 picking his nose with his middle finger (the picture that got FASA in trouble with a gaming store called Orc's Nest in England because it was dangerously close to being a copy of their store logo) has a single horn.

The artwork accompanying the metaspecies description on p.29 also has a single horn. Oddly enough, the text makes no mention of horns.

The troll with smart goggles and a gyromount harness on p.145 has a pair of short conical horns pointing straight up; on the next page is a troll sporting what looks like a rhino horn.

The Troll Bouncer contact on p.173 has an impressive ram horn-style horn on one side, and a hornlike nub opposite of it.

p.194 has another picture of the same character from p.7. The horns are more symmetrical in this one.

Of course, by the time the first edition supplements started coming out, the art department had gotten the message to play up the troll horns. As was pointed out, the troll from SSG had decent hornage and one of the color plates from Seattle SB (the one depicting various Seattle security guard uniforms) also has a troll with some impressive horns.
TheHappyAnarchist
The artwork with the smaller trolls is actually the incorrect artwork. Looking at the description, they are on average about 9 feet tall. Of course, they are drastically underweight for that, as anyone who has read the How Much Did You Say He Weighed supplemental article, a must read. 9 feet tall and 500lbs. Say what?
They helped alot in SR4 by making them smaller and heavier.

Trolls are too big to be effective as anything but very specialized shadowrunners. They just aren't useful on most runs. On the other hand, in SR2, the troll was a sniper, and that seems like it could be a good position for them. Dwarf would be better, then elf, then human due to size, but they wouldn't have to worry about some of the major problems.
Critias
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 20 2005, 12:26 AM)
So you wanted to play humans with stat bonuses and built-in vision mods.  I'm pretty sure about 2/3 of Dwarf players do that, yeah.

Right. Because, y'know, 2/3 of the Dwarves people mention on here ("draw this character" or "this is my new character" or "this funny thing happened in the game last night, with this character" or whatever) aren't those "exceptionally tall" Dwarves, that can pass as human. You're right. I'm making that up.

In fact, it never ever happens. No one, anywhere, ever, given the choice, decides to play a really tall, skinny, Dwarf. It hasn't happened. At all. I'm hallucinating the whole thing.
Apathy
QUOTE (Critias)
In fact, it never ever happens. No one, anywhere, ever, given the choice, decides to play a really tall, skinny, Dwarf. It hasn't happened. At all. I'm hallucinating the whole thing.

seem a little touchy today...
Calvin Hobbes
There's certainly been a decisive divide between the heights on the Dwarves poll...
Lazarus
I always play or enforce the human looking edge as much of a tightrope as I can.

First you will never get as much respect from your race as you would were you a "normal" looking member. Whether this is due to your own doing (surgery or whatever) or nature you still aren't fully (insert race here). In extreme cases even normal humans would get more respect than you because they aren't "trying to be who they're not." Members of your race would see you as a sellout, or as someone who hasn't had it as tough as them because you aren't hassled by security when you enter an upscale store in Downtown Seattle.

Second no human who is a bigot would every respect you anyway. Sure you may casually pass for a human, but sooner or later they will find out you are not one of them. Bigots have let you move in the neighborhood but they sure won't accept you as one of their own. You're still a Trog, Halfer, or whatever.

I think it would matter what metarace you are it would tough with the human looking edge. Sure it would help you at first but in the long run its drawbacks would out way its benefits.

And as far as Dwarves having to contend with as much problems as Trolls it's not even close. Dwarves can pretty much fit into the world we live in now. There are disability services for little people. (Not trying to offend anyone here and I'm sorry if I did.) Sure being small is a challenge but it does come with benefits. Plus you can still use average height facilities with minimal adjustments unlike Trolls who need a whole other standard.
Liper
a elf with human looking, I doubt would ever be found out unless they had other flaws or thier elf brother showed up saying "hey where are the ears"

Same for dwarves.
Chibu
Uhm, Trolls also are pretty rare beasts. You don't just see 90 of them when you walk down main street.
Ed_209a
But you would see them towering over the crowd here and there. There would not be many in a random Seattle crowd, but you could see them from a long way away.

Is it still around 1% in 4E?
mmu1
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 23 2005, 01:02 PM)
Right.  Because, y'know, 2/3 of the Dwarves people mention on here ("draw this character" or "this is my new character" or "this funny thing happened in the game last night, with this character" or whatever) aren't those "exceptionally tall" Dwarves, that can pass as human.  You're right.  I'm making that up. 

In fact, it never ever happens.  No one, anywhere, ever, given the choice, decides to play a really tall, skinny, Dwarf.  It hasn't happened.  At all.  I'm hallucinating the whole thing.

Examples? I don't recall ever - aside from my recent post in the "Art Attack" thread (and my character happens to be tall for a dwarf but stocky, and not remotely able to pass for human - and has cybereyes, so no natural vision mods...) - reading anything else about tall (much less skinny, or able to pass as human) dwarves on this board.

Though I'll freely admit I don't pay that much attention to "This is my character!" threads. So I could be wrong.
Critias
Sorry, but I really just don't care enough to do some search for obscure character references. Suffice it to say, "in my experience, taller than average Dwarves are more common than shorter than average Dwarves."

Sorry if it got your panties all in a wad that I made that observation.
mmu1
QUOTE (Critias)
Sorry, but I really just don't care enough to do some search for obscure character references. Suffice it to say, "in my experience, taller than average Dwarves are more common than shorter than average Dwarves."

Sorry if it got your panties all in a wad that I made that observation.

Way to backpedal there... If you didn't care, you should have kept your trap shut in the first place.
Critias
I didn't say I don't care. I said I don't care enough. I'm trying to avoid/defuse the confrontation, rather than excaberate it, on account of it being Christmas fucking Eve, and my heart being full of goodwill towards my fellow man and all that happy horseshit, okay? Make your fucking Dwarf as tall as you want to. Peace, goodwill, blah blah blah. Have a nice day, enjoy your characters, do what you want to do.
Kagetenshi
This is clearly the work of the Horrors. Humanity is doomed.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012