Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Game effects of alcohol
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Penta
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Nov 18 2006, 04:46 AM)
or an implicit endorsement of drug use.

I do understand what you're saying, but this is a game where murder is glorified, theft is expected, kidnapping is an everyday occurance, organleggers are your friend, and even child sex is mentioned in the main rulebook. It's just plain idiotic for it to have to have a 'Drugs Is Bad, Yo' sticker on the front.

Where is child sex mentioned? Not doubting that it's there, just would like a page reference.
Fortune
Page 49 ... the Dark Side section starts on page 48.
PlatonicPimp
As long as we're talking addiction, I have a question. Are the negative modifiers from addiction applied at all times, or only when the character is off their High?

This is especially important to me for focus addiction, since one of it's side effects is drain resistance reduction. I really need to know if that's all the time, because if it is no sane player will take it.
Demerzel
My reading is, yes, any time a focus addicted player fails to use their focus. The key is that no sane player will take it, but a GM may start to require rolls for addiction and force it upon a player who is abusing foci.

Jack Kain
I think it should be said that if someone has an alcohol addiction they'll drink until drunk.
PlatonicPimp
But if they have their focus on and active, they don't receive the -2 penalty for drain tests, right? Those penalties are only for when they are Jonesing? I hope so.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (PlatonicPimp)
But if they have their focus on and active, they don't receive the -2 penalty for drain tests, right? Those penalties are only for when they are Jonesing? I hope so.

No idea, I haven't played shadowrun long enougth to try playing a mage yet. I would assume so.
Dissonance
Man, it's been a while since I've looked at the drug rules in Man and Machine. I forgot how bugfuck crazy they were. Particularly Nitro.

Resist 4D upon crashing, roll willpower against 5 and body against 8 or you're addicted to something that will kill you through regular use alone. Forget the burnout thing, you'll likely just fall over dead from the crash.

It might have been stun damage, but still. DEADLY level damage.
Ben
QUOTE (Tanka)
It could, sure. Granted, so can breathing.

every year, a couple of students die from having drunk too much.
more go into a coma for a few days

people do die from alcohol abuse.
but it's worth it biggrin.gif
hyzmarca
Every drink you have gives other people a +2 charisma bonus.

Warning: beer goggles may make objects appear more attractive than they actually are.
Dissonance
I suggest going out and doing some actual research. In the form of having thirty or so people of various backgrounds, genders, and sizes gather together and get piss-drunk.

But as long as everybody's wearing a labcoat, it counts as research.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012