Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Captain Chaos
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Snow_Fox
I finally got my hand on the great crash of 2065 and I've only read some of it but after what was said about Captain Chaos I had to look into that first. Sure his meatbody is gone, but is cap? He was saved but is not supposed to be aware. He is. I think he's truly become the gohst in the machine.
Fix-it
yerr... maybe he's alive walter john williams style. (Read "HardWired" if you don't know what I'm talking about.)
Supercilious
Nah, he is gone.

And that is why I am not playing SR4.

I love the cap. I love him like a father.

When I am done with SR, and I never plan to run again. Then I will play the System Failure adventures, and advance my timeline. Except it ends with nuclear apocalypse, not "virtual reality."

/bitter.
Calvin Hobbes
Captain Chaos is gone and dead.

[ Spoiler ]
PiXeL01
Yet another reason why not to get SR4 *sniff*
Pthgar
Having read System Failure, i would say that CC is dead... unless a writer decides to bring him back. If no one writes further about him, he is dead but I feel that the text left a tiny crack open for CC to be around in the same manner as Kyle Haeffner's wife (from Echo Mirage, I can't remember her first name at the moment). I know that many feel that CC is gon-iddily-one but it is fiction and who knows what the future would bring.
Ferratus
QUOTE (Pthgar)
> If no one writes further about him, he is dead but I feel that the text left a tiny crack open for CC to be around in the same manner as Kyle Haeffner's wife (from Echo Mirage, I can't remember her first name at the moment). <

Alice....hence her UV host, Wonderland
Pthgar
Thanks.
hobgoblin
didnt alice go down the hole in system failure?

ok so the cap is dead, so be it. he would die from old age at one point anyways. or maybe he would be put on ice, like that character in cyberpunk 2020?

change is needed at times. only that we humans hate change unless we initiate it ourselfs. something about the feeling of control over out own lifes and so on...
TheHappyAnarchist
But, but, but what if the Cap became an AI. Then he could live forever and usher in a new era of fun flava text!!!
FrankTrollman
...or subsequent books could be written by other characters in the Shadowrun world. Captain Chaos was cool, but I think it's also cool that he was awesome without being another ancient elf or unstoppable dragon. He really was just a man, and like all men he had a beginning and an end.

-Frank
hobgoblin
allso, the ol cap only made some opening statements and handed the word over to the people in the real know of a subject. about the only other time he showed his face in flavortexts and similar was to show that he had trown away masses of junk messages and similar (kinda like your avarage web-forum admin).
mfb
i have to agree with FrankTrollman. Cap was awesome because he was just a guy, and yet the things he accomplished are as important as anything any IE or GD managed. it sucks that he's gone, but turning him into an AI or something would really take a lot away from him (starting with his body!).
TheHappyAnarchist
I would just like to note, I was going for sarcasm.

The idea of turning Cap into some kind of uberMatrix AI of doom who will constantly oversee the new generation of Shadowrunners makes me sad.

I second that Cap was cool and is immortalized by his achievements and not by any actual immortal bits.

On the other hand, if Fastjack learned about what happened to Cap, might he try and set up an AI for himself and live on in the matrix? Seems like it might be more his style, but I could be wrong. He is getting tired after all.
Adam
Life isn't cheap in the shadows unless important characters are allowed to die.
Tanka
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
allso, the ol cap only made some opening statements and handed the word over to the people in the real know of a subject. about the only other time he showed his face in flavortexts and similar was to show that he had trown away masses of junk messages and similar (kinda like your avarage web-forum admin).

Wrong! Read through The Neo-Anarchist's Guide to Real Life. He does some spouting for the Neo-A's.
hobgoblin
heh. figures that a old book like that would do me in.

i enterd sr around late sr2 btw tanka...

and maybe you loosen up on your posting style. its a bit overloaded in a way...
Tanka
I actually entered around SR3, but my group plays SR2, so I picked up all the old books.

And, yes, my style is a bit harsh at times. If you get offended, well... I suppose that's that.
FrostyNSO
Wow tanka, your getting post-picked all over the place!
Tanka
Not really. Just two people. No big deal, I just tend to come off as abrasive when I don't particularly mean to.

Must be the job working its way through me.
Dale
IF Captain Chaos is really dead now, then who will take his place? I mean officially in-game canon-wise.
FrostyNSO
I don't have SR4, but I believe Fastjack moves into the spot.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 20 2005, 09:47 PM)
IF Captain Chaos is really dead now, then who will take his place? I mean officially in-game canon-wise.

QUOTE (Fastjack @ SR4 history section)
So what is a legend supposed to do when the world changes around him? Most of my colleagues are dead-hell, Captain Chaos should've been writing this, but he went down with his ship during the second Crash.

So the Captain's quest for information to be even more free continues, perhaps more successfully than ever with the Wireless Matrix. It's just that he isn't there to see it.

-Frank
Calvin Hobbes
In their quest to move away from SR3, I think we'll be seeing less kore kharacters.
Oracle
I just hope that they keep the legend of Captain Chaos alive and do not allow him to be forgotten by future generations of Shadowrun players.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Supercilious)
Nah, he is gone.

And that is why I am not playing SR4.

I love the cap. I love him like a father.

When I am done with SR, and I never plan to run again. Then I will play the System Failure adventures, and advance my timeline. Except it ends with nuclear apocalypse, not "virtual reality."

/bitter.

Man you father must be truely horrible.

But in shadowrun theres always going to be some guy who wants to inform the people of the world.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (tanka)
And, yes, my style is a bit harsh at times. If you get offended, well... I suppose that's that.

nah, not offended, thats to harsh a word...

it was more a comment for future refrence then for my reaction. others may not take so lightly to it as i do (most of the time wink.gif).

i was half expecting to be disproved, but i question the need to rub it in the way it seems your post does...
Tanka
Wasn't really meaning to rub it. It's hard to have any inflections or intonations online. It was more of a jocular "Wrong!" than an accusatory "Wrong!"
Lazarus
What Captain Chaos could do is like form some sort AI Voltron with Deus, Megera, Mirage, and the Smiling Bandit. They could defend Deep Resonance against the evil forces of... whoever...

Fastjack could be the guy who gives them all their missions sort like a hippie King Alfor.

Sweet! And I have the link below:

http://www.voltronforce.com/

FanPro just think of the cross-over Market!

Now we just need some sort Shadowrunning Thundercats biggrin.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (tanka)
Wasn't really meaning to rub it. It's hard to have any inflections or intonations online. It was more of a jocular "Wrong!" than an accusatory "Wrong!"

the written medium is realy a limited one when it comes to some styles of communication.

i have seen several attempts at irony and sarcasm spark gigantic flamewars, both in this page and others.
Valentinew
G-Force!
Mr.Platinum
Form up Dangaiooooooooooooooooooooo.

And Long Live the Captain.
BetaFlame
He's dead, Jim.
BookWyrm
Whatever be his fate, The Capt. will be missed.
JongWK
QUOTE (Lazarus)
Now we just need some sort Shadowrunning Thundercats biggrin.gif

SURGE, anyone? nyahnyah.gif
Wiz In Red
Eventually some poser kid will come along trying to post as CC and people are going to ooohhh and ahhh. Just remember the good times, and if you're religious, realize the next iteration of the Cap is a "false prophet."

wink.gif

Seriously though. I think that letting a character as big as CC die is a good move to advance the story and shake things up. Besides, just think about how things will be for new runners.

"Back in my day, Captain Chaos was the one who kept people in the know. Now we got us some young pup..." You know how old timers get. spin.gif

This is all just from my point of view.
Lenice Hawk
I could see CC being a ghost in the machine, I can also see him having as many impersonators as Elvis. Would he have the same cult following I wonder?
I guess what it boils down to is what you consider alive. Can we get so advanced at mapping how humans make choices and live there lives that we can transfer their "soul" as it were to the net? Or is it just a complex AI that only seems real to others, but is lifeless?
If CC is brought back, I just hope they do a good job. Nothing halfway. Otherwise, let him die.
Liper
yeah, they killed the big D, they kill CC, hell they'll kill anyone, lives are a dime a dozen and you need to tread carefully....

I love shadowrun.
ShadowDragon8685
I dunno. Killing the 'cap seems wrong. Moving him behind the scenes, maybe he decides to retire to some UV Paradise, but KILLING the 'cap? Just whacking him, blam?...

So wrong. People as important as the 'cap do not go down with a Delete? y/n command. They go down in a hail of bullets, or under a major ass-whupping in cybercombat, or explode in mysterious circumstances. They don't just get shift-del'd.
Liper
He did die in a giant fight, he got saved somewhat then died truely.

Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (tanka @ Dec 21 2005, 01:52 AM)
I actually entered around SR3, but my group plays SR2, so I picked up all the old books.

And, yes, my style is a bit harsh at times.  If you get offended, well...  I suppose that's that.

lol, gotta love honesty

QUOTE (Lazarus)
What Captain Chaos could do is like form some sort AI Voltron with Deus, Megera, Mirage, and the Smiling Bandit. They could defend Deep Resonance against the evil forces of... whoever...

Fastjack could be the guy who gives them all their missions sort like a hippie King Alfor.

I kinda envisioned it like Charlie's Angels

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
QUOTE (tanka @ Dec 22 2005, 12:40 AM)
Wasn't really meaning to rub it.  It's hard to have any inflections or intonations online.  It was more of a jocular "Wrong!" than an accusatory "Wrong!"

the written medium is realy a limited one when it comes to some styles of communication.

i have seen several attempts at irony and sarcasm spark gigantic flamewars, both in this page and others.
I think you have a gift for understatement... biggrin.gif merely several? Seems like there's at least one per thread, usually more, lol

It's to be expected when you put a bunch of gamers in one place, though. (Not that I'm any different.)

Seems like so often the problem is people are quick to take offense, looking for a reason to get indignant. People act as if they have the right not to be offended... if we were less quick to offense, and quicker to forgive and laugh about it, it would certainly smooth things out.

Seems like a lotta folks got a lotta sand where it doesn't belong.
mfb
QUOTE (Wiz in Red)
"Back in my day, Captain Chaos was the one who kept people in the know. Now we got us some young pup..."

that Fastjack whippersnapper sure is a firecracker, though.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Wiz in Red)
"Back in my day, Captain Chaos was the one who kept people in the know. Now we got us some young pup..."

that Fastjack whippersnapper sure is a firecracker, though.

rotfl.gif rollin.gif
You owe me a replacement soda and a replacement keyboard.
littlesean
I am not the real Captain Chaos. The real Captain Chaos retired years ago and is living like a king in Patagonia.

that is how I see it anyway.
Dale
Aw, this thread made me think of mortality. I just realized that 15 or so years have flown by since Shadowrun entered my life, and 20 years in-game,and also that all my favourite people who aren't elves are freaking OLD. Like in their 60's. Or dead.
Wolfgang Keis - dead or my dad's age,
Sally Tsung,
Ghost-Who-Walks,
Zig and Zag,
Tiki (Striper),
Sam Verner,
etc...

Frag.

hobgoblin
thats SOTA for you...
nick012000
What's the lifespan of shifters like? You'd think that the regeneration would probably be rather lifespan-enhancing, so Striper's probably like Wolverine- forever stuck in her 20s.
hobgoblin
that realy depends. are we talking adamantium-enhanced wolverine or the non-enhanced version. the regeneration is in fact even more crasy on the non-enhanced version eek.gif
Setthoth
Cap is dead. In honor of his memory may I present Cap 2.0. This SK based on the beloved personality of Captain Chaos will act as IC and help function here at the Haven....
Calvin Hobbes
Hobgoblin: Who cares?

Nick: I think shifters age as normal, since they're assumed to be representational of their age physically.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012