Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Code
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nick012000
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (nick012000 @ Dec 26 2005, 08:15 AM)
So does that mean you can't have sex with your ally spirit? Even if it's dikoted?

That is among the things that it means, yes.

-Frank

But if you're good in bed, your ally spirit will be more likely to stick around if it goes Free for some reason.
FrostyNSO
I can't believe the forum rules actually mention this topic (not the code, but the ally spirit thing) by name as one that is forbidden. biggrin.gif
Westiex
And for those who think Frosty is joking, take a look at the guidelines

No blatantly juvenile toilet humor. Talk about what you do to relieve yourself, although popular (for some odd reason) is not needed here. This includes questions on whether or not you can have sex with your ally spirit, AVS, cyberhand or various objects, both animate and inanimate.
Glyph
I guess the mods feel that some jokes aren't quite as funny the hundredth time or so. biggrin.gif
Critias
Hundredth? Be serious.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (Critias)
Wow. This whole thread's like a collection of macho one-liners, only some of which make sense. Handy.

I've been called a lot of things, but macho is not one of them. Do I need to show more leg?
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
I can't believe the forum rules actually mention this topic (not the code, but the ally spirit thing) by name as one that is forbidden. biggrin.gif

That's because those of us who've been around here for a few years, and before that the FASA forums, have told all the possible sick jokes about sex and ally spirits. also you can add: "cyberzombie, nija vampires" and "what use is there for a silvergun."
TheHappyAnarchist
I still have not seen any convincing arguments for using lethal weapons except in the most extreme of cases.

I am not trying to lessen the sentence if I do get caught, and I am not trying to give the guards a chance to use nonlethal on me.

I just don't like leaving as much evidence, especially evidence that anyone can walk up and find.

It is also helpful to not have vengeance seeking secguards or family on your case.

Nonlethal rounds really don't take all that much longer than regular rounds. The only things that you can really have problems with is sealed and heavy armor, in which case you are forced to use APDS, except in SR4 where you can still use crazy ammunition rules to your advantage. Seriously though, how often do you run up against enviro sealed heavy armor? Even then, mages can take care of that little problem, as well as flashpacks and grappling. Heck tasers actually work pretty well against them too.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Do I need to show more leg?

If you have to ask, the answer to that question is always yes.

-Frank
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Dec 27 2005, 01:09 AM)
I can't believe the forum rules actually mention this topic (not the code, but the ally spirit thing) by name as one that is forbidden.  biggrin.gif

That's because those of us who've been around here for a few years, and before that the FASA forums, have told all the possible sick jokes about sex and ally spirits. also you can add: "cyberzombie, nija vampires" and "what use is there for a silvergun."

And of course, there's always the woodchu#$% @13#^$3@#$*^&^NO CARRIER
Critias
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
QUOTE (Critias @ Dec 23 2005, 12:08 PM)
Wow.  This whole thread's like a collection of macho one-liners, only some of which make sense.  Handy.

I've been called a lot of things, but macho is not one of them. Do I need to show more leg?

What, you think anyone on the internet's gonna say "no" to a question like that?
Lazarus
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Dec 25 2005, 07:15 PM)
I like that houserule about needing to roll to keep fighting after taking Physical damage.  I think it makes combat more strategic and more harsh, which I like.

Except that at TN 4 + wound mods, just about everyone will be put out of commission by a Moderate wound (3 successes vs. TN 6 on a Willpower roll? Right...) and Pain Resistance in its various forms will be a munchkin's wet dream.

I guess it all depends on how you play, but I don't think I've had any of my SR characters take part in a fight yet in which taking a M wound, failing the Willpower roll, and being unable to act for 3 rounds wouldn't have - 90% of the time - gotten them killed on the spot... I guess that means our games are gritty enough. wink.gif

Nah, it's not that bad but it's a little more realistic. Plus it gives you a good reason to have a high Willpower other then as defense against magic or hostile social situations.

If you have a character with a Willpower of 5 or 6 and Combat Training of 6 or higher you can probably take a Moderate wound and keep functioning. But if you take a Serious then probably not unless you have mods. But if you take a Serious physical wound to any part of the body then you are probably going to be useless for at least 18 seconds. (We use the 3 second Real Time per Combat Turn rule.)

Of course you can still perform Free Actions, sorry if I didn't mention that before, but that's it.

Plus it allows for heroic action movie stuff. You know the whole covering fire and pulling your buddy out of harm's way. Or getting shot in the process. Creates some nice drama.

But it's like I tell my players, "Whatever affects you also affects the NPCs too."

Lazarus
QUOTE (TheHappyAnarchist)
I still have not seen any convincing arguments for using lethal weapons except in the most extreme of cases.

I am not trying to lessen the sentence if I do get caught, and I am not trying to give the guards a chance to use nonlethal on me.

I just don't like leaving as much evidence, especially evidence that anyone can walk up and find.

It is also helpful to not have vengeance seeking secguards or family on your case.

Nonlethal rounds really don't take all that much longer than regular rounds. The only things that you can really have problems with is sealed and heavy armor, in which case you are forced to use APDS, except in SR4 where you can still use crazy ammunition rules to your advantage. Seriously though, how often do you run up against enviro sealed heavy armor? Even then, mages can take care of that little problem, as well as flashpacks and grappling. Heck tasers actually work pretty well against them too.

Well I have some convincing arguments for going lethal.

1. Non-lethal, as far drugs go takes a little bit of time to work. If you go by the each combat turn is 3 seconds rule then it probably isn't instantaneous. Also clothing, especially armored clothing, is going to slow the process down even more.

2. Gel rounds, tasers, or other non-lethal non-drug stuff are rather limiting. Those include range, impact, and reload times.

3. Magic is the exception here but if you are like my team you only ask to your mage to go non-lethal when you want non-lethal for that purpose. (No I don't like hellblast either. Well, not all the time anyway. biggrin.gif) We tend to use magic in more indirect ways, Masks, Chaotic World, Sterilize, that sort of stuff. If the mage is non-lethaling everyone then the mage can get out commission pretty quick.

4. Also gel rounds, DMSO, bean bag guns and most non-lethal stuff is actually more exotic then plain old ammunition. Meaning it's easier for cops to trace you.

Look I'm not saying you should blow everything and everyone away at the drop of a hat, but let's look at non-lethal combat for what it really is: a hindrance. Most people I have heard talk about non-lethal combat in SR make it sound like Non-lethal combat is just as effective as lethal combat, which it is isn't.
Nidhogg
Grr, it seems like the forum ate my previous post, so before this topic gets irriversibly sidetracked, here is the code that my group goes by:

1) The 'Face' of our group is always magically active. Pherimones are all well and good, but this set up not only makes sure that the 'Face' also has greater combat ability, but also Mind Probe and Astral Perception can be invaluable in negotiation.

1a) Mind probe is never to be used on, or in the pressence of a Johnson. Ever.

1b) The face is the only team member ever to meet face to face with the Johnson. The other team members are to wait nearby, preferably within sight of the meet, but are not to give themselves away.

2) The Rigger is never to drive ground vehicles that can not be purchased at a local car dealership.

2a) Failing this, he should at least pick something reasonable. A mobile home mounted to the brim weaponry and sporting a custom paint job do not qualify. Especialy if said Rigger sports the 'hunted' flaw.

2b) There shall never, ever be a repeat of Thane, the irate Scottish orc, and his 'Plaid Death'.

3) The team has no need for a dedicated sniper or demolition expert.

3a) Should said skills be needed, the Sammy or the stealth-theamed character is expected to have training or chips in the required skill.

3b) Daniel is never again allowed to handle explosives.

4) Stunball is your friend.
mmu1
QUOTE (Lazarus)
Nah, it's not that bad but it's a little more realistic. Plus it gives you a good reason to have a high Willpower other then as defense against magic or hostile social situations.

If you have a character with a Willpower of 5 or 6 and Combat Training of 6 or higher you can probably take a Moderate wound and keep functioning. But if you take a Serious then probably not unless you have mods. But if you take a Serious physical wound to any part of the body then you are probably going to be useless for at least 18 seconds. (We use the 3 second Real Time per Combat Turn rule.)

Actually, it is that bad. There's no way you can expect 3 sucesses vs. a TN of 6 with a Willpower of 5 or 6 and a 6 in a complementary skill. (and having to spend 6 points on a complimentary skill to be even marginally viable is one hell of a kick in the nuts - those would be much better spent on the pain resistance edge, anyway...) Roughly speaking, you need to be rolling 18 dice to have a 50/50 chance of making those odds, so even if you use Karma, it's a long shot.

I'm not trying to convince you not to play the way you like, mind you - just saying that, mathematically speaking, those are extremely harsh rules. Anything more than a light wound equals instant incapacitation for virtually all characters without pain resistance.

Unless I misunderstood the rules - does the TN equal 4 plus the mods for the wound you just took, or the wound mods you were suffering from other wounds, prior to taking the wound you're trying to resist?
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 27 2005, 10:33 AM)

-Frank

well either that or not just no but heck no
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Nidhogg @ Dec 28 2005, 10:32 PM)
2) The Rigger is never to drive ground vehicles that can not be purchased at a local car dealership.

Worst. Advice. Ever. Let's get some equivalents here:

"The mage is never to cast spells that cannot be purchased at the local national chain bookstore."

"The streetsam is never to use cyber that cannot be purchased at the local legal clinic."

"The Decker is never to use hardware that cannot be found at a local elementary school."

~J
Critias
I can understand the rigger trying to be inconspicuous by normally driving vehicles that appear to be completely normal, for some jobs. No one wants to draw attention to themselves by showing up at the Downtown meet in a Formula 500 racecar, or fast-roping down out of your team-funded Zeppelin of Doom.

But, yeah. There's a difference between what I just wrote, and a word like "never."
Kagetenshi
Though I object on principle, I would not have called out a statement like "the Rigger is never to drive ground vehicles that don't look like they could have been purchased at a local dealership". Being inconspicuous is good.

Being straight off the lot is just stupid.

~J
Nidhogg
A rigger with an odd vehicle is MUCH easier to get attention than an expensive cyberdeck or a Force 7 spell. Ground vehicles that draw attention from the 'Star is a big no-no, and should not be parked outside of a corperate complex while the runners are inside. The whole point of a getaway vehicle is that it should be able to get the runners safely away from the scene.
Kagetenshi
See now, you just said "getaway vehicle". That's something entirely different from "the vehicle the Rigger is driving" unless you pigeonhole the Rigger.

You also missed my point.

~J
nick012000
Precisely. A rigger's job is to provide heavy fire support. To this effect, heavily modified vehicles and drones are a must.
Critias
QUOTE (nick012000)
Precisely. A rigger's job is to provide heavy fire support. To this effect, heavily modified vehicles and drones are a must.

I would, instead, say "a rigger's job, among other things, is to provide..."

But, yeah.
Nidhogg
Vehicles have very little use on most kinds of runs besides the getaway. During the run itself, the Rigger relies on drones, or if the complex is small enough, justs goes on-site and takes over the security system. A souped up van is realy all he needs vehicle-wise. Mind you, the rule only applies to urban, stealth-based runs, if the blow-shit-up needs to be whipped out, an Ares Dragon or two loaded up with missiles works wonders.
nick012000
Or, he could give a motor home zillions of points of vehicle armor, loads of guns, and drive it through the corp's front door as a diversion while the runner team sneaks in the back. nyahnyah.gif
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 27 2005, 02:50 PM)
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 27 2005, 10:33 AM)

-Frank

well either that or not just no but heck no

Great. I finally find a low rise jean I like and now guys want the leg to go up. I'm not doing a Daisy Duke!
Birdy
The Code (actually: Some rules)

+ Always survive!

+ Shoot the mage first. If in doubt, start with your own!

+ Never! Never! run with someone who is into crappy 17th century japanese honor stuff and wields cheese-cutters

+ If a team member introduces himself as the "melee" expert, make a combat test at 100m - he with swords, you with something belt-fed. Say an Mk19 AGL... If he survives, he's in

+ Dead man don't talk

+ FMJ works, no matter how strong the targets Will.

+ Never run with a Troll. Big stupid kills 80% of the plans due to size and the team due to his rather unique horns/plates etc combo

+ A contract is a contract. I do the work, you pay! Either in money of the Shylock way

+ Wetwork costs extra! Women and children don't

+ If the easy way results in "collateral damage", so be it. Better some bystanders than me

+ Never use a plan that relies on a mage

+ Never trust magic recon

+ Orks good, Dwarfs ok, Elves useless
warrior_allanon

birdy, you wouldnt say that to my elven phys ad, yeah, the one with the salvette shoved in your eye.

devil.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (warrior_allanon)

birdy, you wouldnt say that to my elven phys ad, yeah, the one with the salvette shoved in your eye.

devil.gif

That guy falls under the melee expert heading. biggrin.gif
Lazarus
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Dec 29 2005, 05:43 AM)
Unless I misunderstood the rules - does the TN equal 4 plus the mods for the wound you just took, or the wound mods you were suffering from other wounds, prior to taking the wound you're trying to resist?

My Bad. Sorry I didn't clarify. No you suffer wound modifiers from previous wounds. And Combat Training functions like a special knowledge skill. You use Knowledge Points to buy it at character creation and use karma per knowledge skill rules to increase it. There is no training time to increase it because it is assumed you spend karma on it you receive from combat.

As rolling it as complementary skill: successes equal 1/1 not the normal 2/1. So it rolls like an Active Skill. The down side is that you have to get special training to get it so high and then from then on it takes actually combat experience i.e. Karma.

Combat Skill break down:

1. Gangbanger, anyone who fights a lot, or comes from a rough war-torn environment. Police Training or Basic Military Training
2. Someone who has had continuous police or basic military training in combat arms.
3. Special Training: Rangers, Para-Rescue
4. Elite Special Forces: SEALs, Force Recon

5+: Actual Combat Experience

Oh yeah! It can't be any higher then your Small Unit Tactics Skill, also a knowledge skill.

And remember it is on wounds you don't resist damage on. If you are hit with an S physical but reduce it to a L, then roll against a L.

Raygun has similiar skill on his website.
FrankTrollman
Uhh... as written, your dice pool to keep fighting when struck by a Moderate Wound would have to be 18 dice (TN 6, Threshold 3). Your dice pool to stay up on average with a Serious Wound would need to be 36 dice (TN 7, Threshold 6). What the heck?

Seriously, what made that seem like a good idea? Great Dragons don't traditionally roll 36 Willpower dice. They have Willpowers of 13 and Knowledge Skills of 12, meaning that they are still dropped for 2 whole rounds every time they take a Serious Wound. Why even have a roll at that point? Everyone is going to be out of the fight every time they take more than a Light wound from anything ever.

-Frank
Fix-it
Birdy: good rules, but I can tell english is not your primary langauge. It ain't mine either, but Its the only one I speak. biggrin.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (Fix-it)
Birdy: good rules, but I can tell english is not your primary langauge. It ain't mine either, but Its the only one I speak. biggrin.gif

Hey, only two spelling errors - less than I produce in german. And no, I am not a legastenic, just lazy biggrin.gif
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Dec 29 2005, 04:57 PM)

devil.gif

Hehe. The only good elves are those who are face up pushing dandelions. wink.gif
Mr.Platinum
SO far my runners don't really have a code, they give out to much info to NPC's, have no magical contacts and one terrorist with no cause.
Lazarus
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Dec 29 2005, 06:30 PM)
Uhh... as written, your dice pool to keep fighting when struck by a Moderate Wound would have to be 18 dice (TN 6, Threshold 3). Your dice pool to stay up on average with a Serious Wound would need to be 36 dice (TN 7, Threshold 6). What the heck?

Seriously, what made that seem like a good idea? Great Dragons don't traditionally roll 36 Willpower dice. They have Willpowers of 13 and Knowledge Skills of 12, meaning that they are still dropped for 2 whole rounds every time they take a Serious Wound. Why even have a roll at that point? Everyone is going to be out of the fight every time they take more than a Light wound from anything ever.

-Frank

I'm not sure what your point is and I think you are overstating things just a bit. If you go back and read how the rule is written it's actually not that bad. Basically we developed a rule that when you take a severe physical damage after you made your Damage Resistance check there is a chance your going to be out of most of the fight and if you think about, realistically, that's probably what should happen.

For us this is isn't like action films where if you get shot in the shoulder you're "O.K... I can still fight." No! You can't! That is one of the worst non-fatal injures you can have. A Serious Physical wound is most likely some heavy bleeding with a possibly broken bone. I would like to meet a person who could shrug that off who didn't have some sort of pain compensation and keep fighting with only penalty. You can still perform Free Actions that don't require a follow-up action like Call a Shot. And remeber you only add previous wound modifiers. So if take a Serious wound straight out of the box then you only have a TN 4.
For instance your character takes a Serious wound to leg. He gets one success on his Will/CT roll. He can drop prone (fall down) and yell for a teammate. You can also use karma pool on said roll.

Does that mean Dragons are more badass? Hell yes it does and they should be. But what is so hard to believe about that? Just look at wild boars. Dragons should be able to shrug off big damage. They’re dragons.

The point of the rule is to make getting shot with a gun or cut with a sword what it should be. A very painful and life-threatening experience.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Vagabond)
My take on it.

I'm such a plug-whore.

Nice.
warrior_allanon
QUOTE (Birdy)
QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Dec 29 2005, 04:57 PM)

devil.gif

then it all falls down to who has the higher initiative, and oh wait, i've got a spell i can sling at you from a distance as well, so i dont even have to worry about noise

yes i fight dirty,
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Birdy)
The Code (actually: Some rules)

+ If a team member introduces himself as the "melee" expert, make a combat test at 100m - he with swords, you with something belt-fed. Say an Mk19 AGL... If he survives, he's in

Well, that should eliminate the stupid melee experts from consideration.

Seriously though, how may fights in Shadowrun take place in open terrain at a distance of 100 meters?
Mr.Platinum
My new code is.

Don't beleieve Emo Samuria

don't talk about fight club

and don't talk about fight club.

if this is your first time in fight club, your going to fight.
emo samurai
Heh. Emo Samuria. Land of the samuriai.
Lagomorph
My character's moral code went in the toilet when most of his brain was replaced with the TacComp. So his current moral code is rated in digits of nuyen:

Completely Immoral - 6 digits (leveling orphanages or sports teams or other innocents)
Mostly Immoral - High 5 digits (Wetwork, torture/interrogation)
Slightly Immoral or Moral - Low 5 digits ( data steals, live capture/kidnapping)
Get out of bed - 4 digits (going to meets)
FrostyNSO
I like it. That code is pretty much what I was proposing as par for the course, here.
TheHappyAnarchist
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
My character's moral code went in the toilet when most of his brain was replaced with the TacComp. So his current moral code is rated in digits of nuyen:

Completely Immoral - 6 digits (leveling orphanages or sports teams or other innocents)
Mostly Immoral - High 5 digits (Wetwork, torture/interrogation)
Slightly Immoral or Moral - Low 5 digits ( data steals, live capture/kidnapping)
Get out of bed - 4 digits (going to meets)

That is most amusing.

Bravo.
DireRadiant
A rule to live by... Never take the elevator.
mmu1
Stopping briefly by a board where people were discussing Lost, I suddenly realized what my character's second most important rule is:

- You will NOT try to extrapolate from a single data point.

Can't believe I forgot that one the first time around.
Capt. Dave
My Code:

Identify, locate, and engage the target.

Variations are also acceptable, such as:

Locate, engage, and identify the target.

I'm not too picky.

emo samurai
If the Pueblo Corporate Council's Deltaware clinic was placing a capture bounty on people with bleeding-edge cosmetic surgery and most of these were depressed socialites, would you go for it, or do they count as innocents? I'm thinking of making that an adventure hook. The other part is capturing a specific Red Samurai captain/ Renraku simsense star (Champion of Japanese Economic Superiority!) with insanely good SOTA supersoldier implants, but everyone knows that Red Samurai are fair game for anyone.
Mr.Platinum
i'm still sticking with my code of not beleiving anything you say.
emo samurai
The girl scouts are linked to the UFO's. Whenever you sharpen a pencil, a percentage of the mass gets beamed into an antimatter/matter reactor aboard a NASA secret ship bound for Mars. The tradition of kissing under a mistletoe originated from a druidic fertility ritual which was brought about because popped mistletoe berries secrete a liquid not unlike semen.

Which of the above three sentences is true?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012