Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you make orihalcum?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
nick012000
Or just go and bind Free Spirits with Force+Spirit Energy about= 8, and get them to start whipping up the orichalcum in exchange for some periodic Karma from Joe Wageslave, which you command it to use to improve its SE until F+SE=8, and then start improving its enchanting skill.
Nyxll
The problem here is
1. JUST binding a force 8 free spirit. They don't grow on trees, and they will not be happy when you command them.
2. getting joe wageslave to start offering up his/her lifeforce, unless you can find some kind of weird spirit dating thing. (You can get shadowrunners to have sex with it for Karma, but only if the spirit is dikoted.)
emo samurai
What do you mean, "have sex with it for karma?" Does the process get the spirit to actively steal Karma, or does sex actually create it? If so, why don't shadowrunners just constantly have sex instead of risking their lives for karma?
Mr.Platinum
Holy crap! did this thread ever digress.
emo samurai
Hey, this is a serious question. Can sex make karma, or does sex with spirits get the spirit to automatically feed off your karma?
Ancient History
I believe the suggestion was for a magician to "pimp out" a spirit to mundanes, who would pay for the sexual services (willingly) with Karma.
Mr.Platinum
I have never read in any book in SR about banging a spirit for Karma.
emo samurai
Awww... there goes a possible fun new source of karma!
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I believe the suggestion was for a magician to "pimp out" a spirit to mundanes, who would pay for the sexual services (willingly) with Karma.

Wow posted ahead of me by a matter of seconds.

Good idea though.
Chibu
So, I have a question, can Adepts make Orichalcum? or is that a negative?
nick012000
Yes, adepts can make orichalcum.

While, technically, Enchanting is a Magic skill, I'm wondering how many of you guys would allow Improved Ability in it (using the B/R skill costs, given that Enchanting is all about building magic items).
Chibu
Oh, neet, so, Adepts can make Oricalchum. Can they do enchanting in general? Like, make a weapon focus? (assuming they have the skill) Becuase that would be pretty darn helpful.
nick012000
They can make any foci they can use. So, weapon foci, centering foci, and a few foci from SOTA64.
emo samurai
So how much does orihalcum reduce karma costs? Each 10 grams is just 1 less karma for bonding? That's quite the gip. Did it cost less to bond them in earlier editions than SR4 or something?
Kremlin KOA
How do I make orichalcum?

Step 1: Let my Magic flow strongly through My ego

Step 2: Eat much Chilli Con Carne

Step 3: <Don't ask>

Result: 1 Brick of Orichalcum
emo samurai
I will NEVER buy from you.

Orihalcum's a gip if you don't steal it, it seems.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (emo samurai @ May 4 2006, 03:03 PM)
So how much does orihalcum reduce karma costs? Each 10 grams is just 1 less karma for bonding? That's quite the gip. Did it cost less to bond them in earlier editions than SR4 or something?

No, it alctually costs more because you have to bond a focus when you make it (first bonding) which was more expensive than the second bonding (done by whoever buys it). There were other bonuses to using orihalcum, inclunding lowering the TN for making the actual focus.

And now you're starting to understand why there was an orihalcum rush when it appeared naturally.
emo samurai
Does it reduce the costs of second bonding? Does anything reduce second bonding? And how did SR3 second bondings compare to SR4 ones?
Kanada Ten
Each unit could be applied to a different effect, and I think that included second bonding. Applied to the first bonding was the stonger option, IIRC.
emo samurai
Only one karma per unit?
Kremlin KOA
Emo

let me put it simply

each 44k of ingredients made successesx80k of orichalcum

so if ya started with 3 sets of base ingredients and 6 enchanting and a karma pool of 1, you could reasonably expect to get 15 units of orichalcum

Sell 2 for 160K to item makers

spend 132K on new ingredients to do it next time

spend 20k on High lifestyle for 2 months

and have 8k for cheap plant and similar telesma for your new focus that is already lowered in price by 13karma

note do that for 3 months of downtime and have prepaid the rend for the three months, and a fourth month, have enough to buy Dogwagon Gold service and have 19k left over

you also get 39 karma off a focus
Last time I checked for first bondingpower focus is forcex8, well 1 karma for a force 5 power focus is nice for 3 months downtime
Kanada Ten
You also get 39 karma off a focus.

What the _ are you talking about?
Kremlin KOA
39 units of orichalcum = karma cost for first binding reduced by 39
emo samurai
I thought you could only work on one unit of gold, mercury, silver, and copper at a time? If I'm wrong, then the system is so broken.
Kanada Ten
I thought you were saying you could "gain" 39 karma "by" making a focus. biggrin.gif
Kremlin KOA
nope emo
tn of the test was the number of units you were working with

now I would suggest losing a dice for every extra unit beyond the first
emo samurai
Were lifestyle costs the same in SR3 as they are in SR4?

And dice pool would be Magic + Alchemy? Sounds good.
Kanada Ten
Low costs more in SR4.

I'd make each unit add to the Threshold, rather than remove dice.

[e] Base Threshold of 20-Magic, 28 Days, Extended Test

Critical Gliches on any test result in destroyed materials.
emo samurai
So everything deflated in cost except for lifestyle? And what would the task period be? Would each net success make one extra unit of orihalcum per unit worked on? You'd make an astronomical amount of it, then, unless the task period's one week.
Kanada Ten
Vehicle costs didn't all go down, and neither did magical supplies for the most part.

I'd make the Task period 28 days, and no bonus for net successes other than maybe a percent of original materials left.
emo samurai
So one unit per success x units of orihalcum? That's reasonable. The thing is, it only took one month to make orihalcum; this "task period of one month" means that I'm working for multiple months.

Just how does this system of yours work, anyway?
Kremlin KOA
I would use simple test

Magic+Enchanting threshold = units of gold etc used

time 28 days

result x excess success * units used
Bodak
QUOTE (emo samurai)
How much does it cost in raw material per pound?
Nobody uses pounds. Metric is the international standard for all measurement (other than time). I don't think I have seen anything in SR literature use the archaic Imperial system, but it might be there.
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Mmmm some would point out that gyp is a racist term if spelt correctly.
QUOTE (Nyxll)
page 42 of MitS
Emo you can just go to a gaming store and look at their copy of MitS and read all about orichalcum if you don't want to buy the SR3 books. My opinion is they'd be a worthwhile investment and resource irrespective of which edition you play.
emo samurai
QUOTE (Bodak @ May 4 2006, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (emo samurai)

I am grateful for you oversensitivity. sarcastic.gif

Overlooking my grevious error in measuring weight, how much does it cost to get alchemical radicals in 100g units?

Also, I don't think it's right that everything, foci, cyberware, even non-flying vehicles, got deflated substantially while lifestyle didn't. I mean, a minisub, which doesn't even exist, costs only 158,000 nuyen.gif , and a racing bike costs 6,500 nuyen.gif . This isn't right.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
"How do you make orihalcum?"

Must...not...make...dirty comment..!
emo samurai
MAKE IT MAKE IT MAKE IT
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (emo samurai)
QUOTE (Bodak @ May 4 2006, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (emo samurai)

I am grateful for you oversensitivity. sarcastic.gif

Overlooking my grevious error in measuring weight, how much does it cost to get alchemical radicals in 100g units?

Also, I don't think it's right that everything, foci, cyberware, even non-flying vehicles, got deflated substantially while lifestyle didn't. I mean, a minisub, which doesn't even exist, costs only 158,000 nuyen.gif , and a racing bike costs 6,500 nuyen.gif . This isn't right.

Orichalcum comes in 10 gram units

and I gave ya the formulae above

80k to buy in a 10 gram unit
emo samurai
Sorry, I forgot to do my own math.
Kremlin KOA
Noprobs

Nowjust work out why someone with enchhanting skill would ever shadowrun
emo samurai
Yeah, about that. You could pay for Knight Errant security with about 1 millionth of the earnings you get. Security isn't a problem.

I guess to amuse the player after he blasts away the enemy with a force 10 power focus that he paid 2 karma to make and bond?
James McMurray
If he paid 2 karma he paid too much.

I actually had a shaman with a force 10 focus I made myself. I paid more than one karma to bond it though, but only because I got tired of makign the orichalcum and wanted a chance to use the thing. I almost never had it activated though, as something that beefy is way too big a target.
emo samurai
Can you mask it?
Kanada Ten
In SR3 he would have to be a Grade 10 Initiate to mask 10 Force points.
Bodak
By which time you're running out of metamagic techniques to learn, and your initiation is costing more and more karma, and if you have to do an Astral Quest as your initiation ordeal... you better be lying inside a DocWagon platinum stabilization unit deluxe because at that quest rating the addition +1 from their healing is so worth it.
Grinder
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
In SR3 he would have to be a Grade 10 Initiate to mask 10 Force points.

Possible in an emo-game biggrin.gif
emo samurai
Not really, but the spirits that I would summon with that thing would be more than enough to protect against pretty much any threat.
Kremlin KOA
did anyone else notice that alchemy and enchanting uses were NOT included in the list of things power foci do not help with?
emo samurai
Since magic will probably be the relevant stat for enchanting, I'm assuming they will help a lot.

Orihalcum's a broken game mechanic.
Kremlin KOA
no it is a 3rd ed mechanic that needs updating and revision to fit in to fourth

previously power foci didn't help

am doing the math based on extra units removing dice

the end of year results are scary

force 400+ power focus after 1 year
emo samurai
That is AWESOME.

Enchanter mage a go-go!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012