Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you make orihalcum?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
emo samurai
What kind of equipment do you use? How much does it cost in raw material per pound? And how much is it worth per pound? Does it cost karma to make?
stevebugge
As far as tools go, I think an enchanting Kit or Shop was required. Of course what the actual tools are is left very vague, so use your imagination. Orichalum is "a Metalurgical Nightmare of Gold, Silver, Copper, and Mercury" so you can reasonably figure some sort of furnace and crucible have to be part of the mix, but from there it's anyones guess what else needs to be mixed in, what rituals are required, what other tools might be needed. If you need some inspiration find a copy of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and look up the instructions for making a Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster.
Mr.Platinum
Yeah you should check out the section in MITS about making magic trinkets and stuff.
emo samurai
Anything on karma/material/time costs?
SL James
Yeah, in MitS
emo samurai
Oh, fuck it. I'll wait for Street Magic.
Mr.Platinum
good call bro, and are you sure your not a Hot Elven hippie chick?
emo samurai
Actually, I'm a paranoid technomancer who's very vulnerable to environmental pollutants and spends his day in a life support box, AKA the Coffin. I drive around in cars using my "my head is a radio broadcasting device" powers.

On my off days, I'm a mystical ninja poser who's actually on very good terms with his boss.
tisoz
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Anything on karma/material/time costs?

No karma, imprints astral sig/ 44K worth of ingredients, use of enchanting shop and constant attendance/ 28 semi sleepless days.

Who knows in SR4.
Mr.Platinum
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Actually, I'm a paranoid technomancer who's very vulnerable to environmental pollutants and spends his day in a life support box, AKA the Coffin. I drive around in cars using my "my head is a radio broadcasting device" powers.

On my off days, I'm a mystical ninja poser who's actually on very good terms with his boss.

Um yeah, i read the other thread about him.
emo samurai
No karma, imprints astral sig/ 44K worth of ingredients, use of enchanting shop and constant attendance/ 28 semi sleepless days.

That's for 1 lb? How much could it enchant, say, a katana without using the character's karma?
Ancient History
Orichalcum does not cost karma to create. Including orichalcum in foci reduces the karma required for the First Bonding; the more orichalcum, the less karma.
fistandantilus4.0
IIRC, the weight of one 'unit' of created Orichalcum is 10KG, which is 1/2 a pound, if I'm remembering convertions right
RunnerPaul
10 kilograms is just a little over 22 pounds.
BishopMcQ
each unit of orichalcum is only a few grams...The 5 components that go into it each weigh 100g and the process refines the material even further.

F3--you may be thinking of the naturally forming stuff that arrived after Halley flew by, which of course had to be refined. My knowledge of those deposits is slightly more limited.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
10 kilograms is just a little over 22 pounds.

ok, so I got it backwards then(and typed wrong since I meant to say 5 lbs.) thanks. smile.gif
emo samurai
I'm confused... so the 44k of components and 28 days go into a few grams or five pounds of orihalcum?
nick012000
Actually, the amount of orichalcum varies. You get 1 unit (10 grams) of orichalcum from 4 units of alchemical metal per success on an Enchanting (Alchemy) (10-your Magic) test.

Each unit is worth 88,000 :nuyen:, so you make a decent profit. Especially if you're a Grade 2+ Initiate (Magic 8).
Mr.Platinum
So when your building a focus, the bigger you make it the less they cost in KArma.
emo samurai
And with Edge in SR4, it's even easier, since your karma pool replenishes.
Darkness
QUOTE (emo samurai)
And with Edge in SR4, it's even easier, since your karma pool replenishes.

Which we don't know yet, since Street Magic isn't out yet. So without the rules, we simply can't say how the new process will look like.
Reaver
You guys are going about it all wrong. here's the way to make Orichalcum;

Orichalcum

Recepie yield: 10 units.
Prep Time: 45 Minutes
Cook Time: 28 days
Servings: 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups radical copper
2 cups radical silver
2 cups radical gold
2 cups radical mercury
2 tablespoons radical Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons lemon pepper (gives it an extra astral zing)
garlic powder to taste
1 live chicken - offered up to the Gods in proper sacrifical fashion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DIRECTIONS:
In a large shallow dish, mix the metals, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Cover, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
Place the chicken on the altar, and sacrifice properly.
Preheat the Bunson burner for high heat.
Lightly oil the enchanting equipment. Drain metal mixture, and discard marinade. Start alchemical process, let cook for 28 days or until golden brown. wink.gif
Lindt
You forgot to add "Stir counter-clockwise only."

Moon-Hawk
And then you stuff it all in a camel!
Oh, shoot, wrong thread. wink.gif
Um, to add something useful to the thread and appease the admins:
Did anyone else ever have trouble with PCs trying to make a profit making oricalcum?
nezumi
Yes. Very much so. It got worse. He had his familiar watch over the process rather than him, and made a huge batch. What I ended up doing was setting it up so he sold a certain random number of units a month. He seems content with that, so I haven't had to have the telesma mafia break in and steal his product and break his equipment and drink all his milk and give him an atomic wedgie and leave him hanging on the door.
emo samurai
I'd just keep it and use it for telesma, never having to pay karma for anything. That would be so awesome.
BishopMcQ
Emo--The primary downside to the enchanting plan is that you would be spending all of your time in the Alchemy lab and never on runs. That's why we have Talismongers as contacts, so they make the stuff and we the shadow community buy it.

Of course the unscrupulous mages, simply convince their Street sam buddies to knock over the local talismonger and do a quick little money run. They pocket the orichalcum and sell off the foci which are worth a pretty penny in their own right.
emo samurai
Or, I could do the thing with the familiar. Hehehehehehehehhh....
tisoz
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Did anyone else ever have trouble with PCs trying to make a profit making oricalcum?

Yes, after 3 or 4 months those PCs get retired and the players make new ones.

After this happened to me the first time, the next time the magically active started learning enchanting and buying an enchanting shop, I have the party do a run against a magic group that enchants full time to finance their group and equip themselves. The players usually see how much security they would need and/or how big a target they would put on themselves.
emo samurai
But what if they never tell anyone about it and use all the orihalcum themselves to make the most badassed set of karma-free telesma in the universe?
Cain
First of all, it's not karma-free. There's still a minimum cost. Second, you need a *lot* of orichalcum to reduce the karma costs to near-nothing; each unit only reduces total bonding costs by one. Third, there's the wonderful focus addiction rules which will nail anyone running around with too many powerful foci, regardless of the karma they paid to bond them.
emo samurai
Oh... do they get less powerful if you get addicted, or do you pass out if they're neutralized or eaten by Strain-III?
stevebugge
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Oh... do they get less powerful if you get addicted, or do you pass out if they're neutralized or eaten by Strain-III?

Actually I think it works more like you get less powerful if you get addicted.

BTW does anyone wish the good old area effect spell grounding rules for foci from SR2 would make a comeback?
Nyxll
QUOTE (stevebugge)
[QUOTE=emo samurai,Jan 8 2006, 10:23 PM] BTW does anyone wish the good old area effect spell grounding rules for foci from SR2 would make a comeback?

Yes!!!!

And the initiative rules. I liked everything about sr2 magic.
The Stainless Steel Rat
QUOTE (Nyxll)
I liked everything about sr2 magic. silly.gif

Fixed.

I don't have my books with me, but isn't the final amount of Orichalcum dependant on the number of successes rolled during the refining process? I remember thinking that it was odd that you could actually end up with more matter than you started with...
nezumi
QUOTE (stevebugge)
BTW does anyone wish the good old area effect spell grounding rules for foci from SR2 would make a comeback?

Already has in my game. The only thing is it doesn't ground through anything dual natured, ONLY foci. That way if you want to have a magical time bomb, it's a little more costly (since you need to drop an active focus onto your target and the spell will likely destroy the focus). The problem before is people would just send in an elemental, have it manifest, then cast the AOE spell on the elemental.
stevebugge
Oh I agree that the old dual natured rule had some serious problems, some of the worst of which I think your "Foci Only" rule handles fairly well. I am still working through the SR4 magic rules to see how I like them.
Nyxll
QUOTE (The Stainless Steel Rat @ Jan 9 2006, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (Nyxll @ Jan 9 2006, 12:28 PM)
I liked everything about sr2 magic. silly.gif

Fixed.

I don't have my books with me, but isn't the final amount of Orichalcum dependant on the number of successes rolled during the refining process? I remember thinking that it was odd that you could actually end up with more matter than you started with...

Ugg ... please don't try and fix things that aren't broken.

However you are correct with the Orichalcum process.
You take 1 unit of gold, 1 silver, 1 copper, 1 mercury and combine them for 28 days. you roll against TN 10 - magic attribute. each success produces 1 unit (10grams) of the metal. the process takes 28 days, and cannot be reduced. page 42 of MitS
The Stainless Steel Rat
You were serious then? You liked rolling the force of the spell rather than Sorcery skill?

OK then...
Nyxll
yes, I did. your sorcery skill was used as magic pool. worked fine for me.
emo samurai
Wow... so orihalcum is costly no matter what... How many places have it for stealing? Stealing it would be awesome.
tisoz
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 9 2006, 08:34 PM)
Wow... so orihalcum is costly no matter what... How many places have it for stealing? Stealing it would be awesome.

Who? All those shadowrunners that thought enchanting would make them multimillionaires in about a year or who wanted low karma foci. Everyone always claims there's not an enchanting production line, it's these cottage industry types that are prime targets.

I actually disagree with the production line idea, I think it would exist. The ROI for a corporation to set up their magical talent is too high to ignore. Have your magical talent create ally spirits with enchanting skill. Spirits are good for working the long enchanting process because they do not require sleep. The mega-corporation already has security in place. Perk for the magician to allocate an ally to the program could be virtually free and very low bonding cost foci. Which in turn upgrades the corps magic force.
Critias
QUOTE (emo samurai)

Luckily, no one could ever have possibly thought of such a nefarious means of gaining orichalcum, ever before! Security will no doubt be lax, if not outright nonexistant!
Nyxll
QUOTE (Critias)
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Jan 9 2006, 09:34 PM)

Luckily, no one could ever have possibly thought of such a nefarious means of gaining orichalcum, ever before! Security will no doubt be lax, if not outright nonexistant!

There is a description of a talismonger shop in sprawl sites (pg.45), but this would be a low end store. At night there would probably be a few watcher spirits in there, and some anchored spells. Hmmm ... might be worth updating.
emo samurai
But would having an ally spirit do this non-stop piss off your ally spirit?
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (emo samurai)

Depends on the exact spirit. I imagine that if there was a sort of karma paycheck, no spirit would mind the monotonous task for a few years. Make it a simple ratio between orichalcum output and karma payments and it won't be too long before the bosses are literally swimming in the stuff (a sure sign that one of the spirits will become a trickster when it gets free).
tisoz
QUOTE (emo samurai)

On the list of commands I can think of that will piss off an ally spirit, this would be on the tame end.

Actually, I would have them make gold radicals instead of orichalcum. Then Force does not matter in determining the target number and a Force 1 ally with Enchanting 6 could do the work. A lot less trouble controlling a Force 1 than a Force 6 ally.
emo samurai
YEEEEEAHHH!!! ORIHALCUM SWEATSHOP!!! But seriously, even having 2 force 1 ally spirits just making orihalcum will insure I will never have to pay karma for telesma EVER again.
nezumi
My player did his own dirty work for 51% of the time, since, by canon, that's enough to use his magic rating, then had the elemental work for the other 49%.

emo samurai
What if the man sold it in other countries? Then again, he probably doesn't even HAVE contacts in other countries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012